Author Topic: DISCUSSION of TAR 33 SUSPENSION DUE TO COVID (may contain location spoilers)  (Read 88448 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: DISCUSSION of the TAR 33 SUSPENSION DUE TO CORONOVIRUS
« Reply #275 on: March 11, 2021, 09:13:59 PM »
And some of the new variants out there are very concerning.

I am sure TAR is probably doing their best to get us up and running. Just not yet sure when we can safely go out.Still TBD
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline I ♥ TAR

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #276 on: March 12, 2021, 08:20:55 PM »
I do not think that TAR33 will resume this year. 2022 seems more likely, imo.

It would mean 3 years (2019/20/21) without fully filmed season of TARUS.

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #277 on: March 13, 2021, 12:30:44 AM »

Airports have been since gradually reopened in mid-2020 with limited number of flights and travel restrictions will be lifted in most parts of the world. The COVID-19 vaccine process has been getting fully vaccinated to 75 million worldwide since it began on December 2020, I believe.

Just my opinion

From Peach:

PLEASE DO NOT EXPRESS OPINIONS AS FACT. THERE IS NO INFO ON A DEFINITIVE TIME FOR TAR 33 TO RESUME AT THIS TIME ALTHOUGH FALL CERTAINLY THE SOONEST. ADDITIONALLY IT IS NOT CERTAIN IF THE SEASON CAN RESUME WITH ANY OF THE SAME CAST/LOCATIONS.

SO AGAIN...DO NOT POST HERE WITHOUT DOCUMENTED INFO CLAUDE. THANKS.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 07:46:36 AM by claude_24hrs »

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #278 on: March 13, 2021, 04:42:03 PM »

My guess would be they’ll have to decide if they want to shoot it this year if possible and change the route some (mostly stick to developed countries) or wait it out some more to stick to try to stick to it. I def don’t think they’ll go out next winter because I’d think they’ll have learned with 33 that February is a bad time to do it due to peak flu season (to be clear, I’m not comparing COVID and the seasonal flu, just saying that they’ve probably learned to not flirt with flu season). It would rip through the cast and would be enough to take someone off the course. So that’s my long winded way of saying I think it will be fall at the earliest but if not fall, probably some time next spring.

Offline Nuku

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #279 on: March 13, 2021, 05:30:36 PM »
I really think they should look at a domestic season... would be so much easier and give us more TAR

I as a foreigner would love to see some stuff about American cultrue and some different things to do in the US!!

Canada and Australia have both done fine with domestic seasons! I personally love that Canada stays in Canada because it keeps the show unique from the US!!

And plus a domestic season could be cheap to film compared to international. Yes covid would be costly, but I'm sure they would be able to get some more sponsors and you would maybe even see regions reaching out wanting to be featured/paying to be featured!!

I think it would be worth a try, and I dont count family edition as it was just a bland season and din't really go to a lot of great locations!!

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #280 on: March 13, 2021, 05:31:51 PM »
Considering how the US is handling COVID, and the fact that so many USA productions are filming outside the US, that is even more unlikely lol.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #281 on: March 13, 2021, 06:07:46 PM »
I actually think a domestic route would be harder to plan. Just because there’s such discrepancies among the states’ restrictions and vaccinations. Some states are doing great on vaccination, some not. IMO it’d be much easier just stick to smaller, non federalized countries that are doing well on vaccines like Israel and Denmark (just examples)  since you know what you’re getting, can get help from the travel ministries with centralized information, etc. Some of the European countries that are dependent on travel money like Greece, Portugal, and Spain are opening up to vaccinated people as soon as May 1st.  I think Iceland has been since November or December.

Offline Nuku

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #282 on: March 13, 2021, 06:20:07 PM »
2 fair points, i just dont think there are enough countries to have a full good season of the Race, and travel would be much more tiring with protocols and less flights available.

And the US is rolling out vaccines fairly quickly and seems like restricitions are not strict AT ALL so i would think it is feasible.

And exactly what shows r leaving the US? Bachelor and Love Island both stayed in the US and i mean the Bachelor would be WAY easier to go international than the race!

I believe a domestic race is 100% the way to go, just makes more logical sense!!

And i think they should get a new cast and call that season 33 and then when things ease up bring back the og cast and send them on the planned race for season 34!

Online stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #283 on: March 13, 2021, 07:04:57 PM »
Yeah but because they already got some episodes in the can, then maybe it is easier to bring back that cast, find 4-5 safe countries and do double legs (ala TARAustralia 4.)
 And if the flight thing is difficult then could do like TARAUS5 and have teams start the leg at the airport, departing in the order they arrived. That would mean that even if the protocolt is longer for entering a country, like to take a 15 mins test, then they could just all relax, and leave after everybody is safely in the country.

I still don't think it will be before the end of the year tho... but if they could do countries that have high % of vaccinated people or with less case (Like Israel, United Arab Nations, maybe Australia and N-Z if they don't have to do the 2 weeks quarantine, even Canada would work)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 09:37:07 AM by stunami »

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #284 on: March 13, 2021, 08:53:14 PM »
I really, really don’t see them doing a domestic route. I’d think they’ll find some small, developed countries to work with and just tweak the route to get this one in the can then go all in for season 34 next summer when life really is back to normal. There’s still a lot of Europe left to be explored and/or hasn’t been visited in a long time (like Ireland), Taiwan hasn’t been visited in forever, they’ve never really been out of the metro areas in Japan or South Korea, Chile is killing it on vaccination,  and Australia and NZ should have their borders open by the fall and they haven’t been there in ages. They could even manage to get a new country in like Israel.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 10:03:46 PM by cerealking »

Offline Nuku

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #285 on: March 14, 2021, 09:58:02 AM »
Another thing to consider: many countries that r doing so well DO NOT want to let international travelers in as it could risk them bring COVID to the country and ruining everything. Like i know for a fact Canada would not let the Race travel there and I can't imagine Taiwan, NZ, or Australia would risk it either!

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #286 on: March 14, 2021, 12:03:18 PM »
Another thing to consider: many countries that r doing so well DO NOT want to let international travelers in as it could risk them bring COVID to the country and ruining everything. Like i know for a fact Canada would not let the Race travel there and I can't imagine Taiwan, NZ, or Australia would risk it either!

Sure that’s what’s happening now but 6-8 months from now, things will look very different. Last I read, Australia and NZ are going to re-asses their border situation in mid-June when they expect to have everyone vaccinated. They may not do it then but Qantas is supposed to be resuming regular international flights in October so sometime this year, they’re probably going to do it.  Some travel ministries may even see letting them in to film some time this fall as advertising for next year.

Offline H_E_L_L_O

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #287 on: March 15, 2021, 04:07:02 AM »
I think that by late this year or early next year we could see travel begin to be normalized between currently covid safe countries like Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Singapore & South Korea, and countries that have very high vaccination rates like most European countries, Morocco, Israel, UAE, Seychelles, & Chile. But only time will tell and we can only hope for the best.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #288 on: March 17, 2021, 04:45:52 PM »
It is kind of interesting that the EU is lagging behind on vaccinations. Ofc by the theoretical shoot in the fall, they should be there but that’s a big part of why I think the summer is gone at this point.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #289 on: April 23, 2021, 12:51:56 PM »
Problem is that many of the "safer" countries wil not want racers/film crews/etc running around.

Also you have to look at quarantine restrictions. It would be cost prohibitive to have teams and crew need to quarantine in every country. Just take a look at some of our popular destinations...if they are SAFE to go to then there is quarantine. Often for a couple of weeks.

I'm a huge fan and dearly want us to go out. But I am also medical...and I want MORE for our TAR family to be safe.

If someone wants to research and start a country by country thread with
1) Covid requirements to enter from America
2) covid quarantine requirements
3) travel restrictions: planes/trains/buses/taxis
4)medical facilities
5) current covid #'s

then please do.

Might be helpful for us all to see what is ACTUALLY possible vs wishists.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 12:57:04 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #290 on: April 23, 2021, 11:26:49 PM »
The US and UK hope to have a travel bubble by the summer due to both doing well on the vaccination. Ofc they already went there but it could be a good sign of more of these as the year goes on if things go well, especially as the EU is supposed to be really ramping up soon.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #291 on: April 24, 2021, 05:41:29 AM »
The US and UK hope to have a travel bubble by the summer due to both doing well on the vaccination. Ofc they already went there but it could be a good sign of more of these as the year goes on if things go well, especially as the EU is supposed to be really ramping up soon.
That’s all speculation. Not an ounce of verifiable fact in it. The last great pandemic a century ago took three years and millions of lives, and the global population was under a billion. Now, COVID-19 is fifteen months, and three million lives (with major surges in India and Brazil, and some surging in the US in spite of a rapid rollout of vaccinations, with a global population of over 7 billion. In the US, however, a large percentage, especially in conservative states are resisting vaccination. Then you have the case of Michigan, where there’s been two surges, since emergency health declarations were struck down by state courts, and the aftereffects of spring break travelers is still unclear (too soon). Plus the B.1.1.7 variant and others are affecting younger people more.
So, to me, following the Spanish Flu H1N1 pandemic a century ago, we’re likely looking at two more years of this. Just because things may be better where you are does not mean it is better everywhere.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 08:19:58 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #292 on: April 25, 2021, 04:35:21 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/25/world/europe/american-travel-to-europe.html

The EU will start letting vaccinated Americans in unconditionally as soon as they figure out a definitive plan for the vaccine verification system.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #293 on: April 25, 2021, 07:31:01 PM »
Maybe....still TBD.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #294 on: April 25, 2021, 08:18:19 PM »
Maybe....still TBD.
Let’s mention Greece. They’re planning to let tourists from the US and select other countries who have been fully vaccinated (and have proof of a negative three day antibody test) in and provided they observe all national and local COVID-19 restrictions. Clearly not a wide open door by any means, and they, too, like the EU haven’t said when.

-- theschnauzers

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #295 on: April 25, 2021, 10:23:00 PM »
All I know is that each piece of news like this means one step closer towards TAR. The question is how many steps needed to figuratively walk?

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #296 on: April 26, 2021, 04:57:23 PM »
All I know is that each piece of news like this means one step closer towards TAR. The question is how many steps needed to figuratively walk?

Well for now, the only moderately sized country at “herd immunity” is Israel so it will be at least six months IMO. Still too many Qs about travel restrictions, vaccinated transmission, and variants IMO. Even then if they do decide to do they show in the next year, I’d imagine they’ll stick to only rich countries.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline meowx5

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #298 on: May 21, 2021, 11:00:25 AM »
Hey Peach- that border map is really interesting- I thought that vaccines would play a much bigger part in allowing entry
Never let anyone steal your dream ;)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #299 on: May 21, 2021, 08:50:40 PM »
Hey Peach- that border map is really interesting- I thought that vaccines would play a much bigger part in allowing entry

Vaccines are only a part of it. We have to look at current cases, definitely variants and local outbreaks and cases. Then how each area is restricting local events/travel/etc. Then we also have to look at entry restrictions. Who is opening borders or ...not. Are there entry isolation requirements? Where and what would racers be allowed to go and do? Its a very complex thing. If we thought that organizing TAR before was complex...we "ain't seen nothing yet"!!
RFF's Golden Rule: