Author Topic: TAR 33 PRE-RACE Speculation (dates/cast/routes)  (Read 54733 times)

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
Re: TAR 33 PRE-RACE Speculation (dates/cast/routes)
« Reply #475 on: May 01, 2021, 11:05:38 PM »
Singapore is the furthest along on of the high income Asian countries and they've already said they're going to allow vaccinated travelers from certain countries once their caseloads get low enough. It's been a while since they've been their and it has a big airport.

I think we will be waiting a very long time until the US caseload is regarded as low enough. What people in the US currently regard as low most other areas (except maybe the UK or Brazil) see us extremely high still.

The US was one of the countries specifically mentioned as ones they’re going to allow due to high vaccination rates. The US is at about 55% of adults with a first dose and places like Israel’s cases fell through the floor at about 60%. It should be the second big country to hit “herd immunity” after the UK.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #476 on: May 02, 2021, 03:28:21 PM »
I think we are at about 30% of the adult population vaccinated. That is not a quorom by any means.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #477 on: May 02, 2021, 07:23:40 PM »
With politically inspired vaccine hesitancy, it’s going to be hard for the US to reach herd immunity. Private actors in the US have begun to offer incentives to get people to be vaccinated completely. That’s one reason why the USCDC latest guidance for fully vaccinated people still require masks indoors and outdoors if you’re in a group situation with those not in your household. The variants remain an issue, although the issue is with certain variants, not all of them.
-- theschnauzers

Offline kyleisalive

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #478 on: May 02, 2021, 07:36:41 PM »
Canada is really quickly catching up to the US/UK on vaccinations. I understand why they may not want to go there if they’re able to film by the end of the year because that’d be a lot of rich, English speaking countries but they could always go to Quebec to get a different flair. They’ve only been there in 8 (lol).

This would be a lousy idea (speaking as a Canadian).  The bulk of our population isn't expected to get a second dose of the vaccine until the start of autumn, and that's if we ignore the people who are holding out.  It's not a good time.

Offline Brannockdevice

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #479 on: May 04, 2021, 11:40:01 PM »
Canada is really quickly catching up to the US/UK on vaccinations. I understand why they may not want to go there if they’re able to film by the end of the year because that’d be a lot of rich, English speaking countries but they could always go to Quebec to get a different flair. They’ve only been there in 8 (lol).

I think two legs in Canada - specifically one in Quebec and one in the far north, ideally Nunavut - could be feasible, but Canada is doing quite poorly on the vaccination front. Only 3% of Canada's population is fully vaccinated, so they are not "quickly catching up" (this is a good source for tracking all of the data https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/covid-vaccinations-tracker.html).
"Exploration is really the essence of the human spirit." -Frank Borman

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #480 on: May 05, 2021, 03:20:55 PM »

This would be a lousy idea (speaking as a Canadian).  The bulk of our population isn't expected to get a second dose of the vaccine until the start of autumn, and that's if we ignore the people who are holding out.  It's not a good time.

Oh yeah, this isn't any time soon. q4 is like the earlier I could see them doing it at this point.