Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1061863 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #2575 on: July 18, 2022, 12:37:06 AM »
I'm presently doing a bit of Wiki stuff involving the Title Quotes... The title of Season 5 Episode 4 (Russia) is "Who Says Pageant Girls Don't Eat?" and it's attributed to Brandon. Well I just scrubbed through the whole episode to every scene of Brandon, and I couldn't find where he said it at all. Did he actually say the line, did someone else say it, or did the producers just make this one up?

Edit: Nope, just checked the entire episode, that phrase is NEVER said by anyone. We've been assuming for years that Brandon said it, but he never does (Unless it's in another episode or an extra online clip that no longer exists)

I believe that quote is an outtake of the final aired episode and may have been in previews or promos for that episode. Could also been from media interviews for the episode.
-- theschnauzers

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2576 on: July 18, 2022, 03:01:57 PM »
I know I heard someone say that in the episode. Maybe Colin?

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #2577 on: July 25, 2022, 12:19:58 AM »
Similar issue now. The Season 7 recap episode is titled "They Saved The Eyeball" and is attributed to Gretchen, but I listened to the whole episode and couldn't find her saying that anywhere.

There is extra footage in that recap episode when Patrick got an injury right above his eye where such a quote would make sense, but Gretchen doesn't comment on it.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2578 on: July 25, 2022, 04:55:03 AM »
One thing to keep in mind regarding title quote attributions, especially in the TAR season Wikipedia articles in that the attribution is included very soon after the episode originally aired on CBS. One problem youíll have trying to verify the attribution this many years later is that video of promos, bonus scenes etc., have not been kept online by CBS on its website. Others may have posted such things on theirYou Tube channels, but that depends on CBS not making a copyright takedown demand. And for most TAR season dvds, thereís not any of this material.
The other thing is to make sure you are using the episodes as actually aired on CBS and not elsewhere.
-- theschnauzers

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #2579 on: July 25, 2022, 06:09:01 AM »
It feels very strange to me to use a quote for the episode when that quote is actually not said anywhere in the episode, even if it's included in supplementary online videos or promos...
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline OMGitsGARRET

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #2580 on: July 25, 2022, 11:53:30 AM »
The other thing is to make sure you are using the episodes as actually aired on CBS and not elsewhere.

Are there differences in some episodes of the original CBS airing vs elsewhere?

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #2581 on: July 25, 2022, 10:41:32 PM »
Did a little more digging and I'm feeling doubtful it was actually Gretchen who said this line...

When the episode title quotes were first added to the Wikipedia page, "They Saved the Eyeball" was left blank since it wasn't said in the episode. A registered user called 'UWAFanatic05' then filled in the blank with PATRICK's name (Which makes sense, as I mentioned before, since Patrick got an injury in the episode close to his eye).

But then 10 days later, an unregistered user (AKA a 'guest') changed the page to say it was a quote from Gretchen instead of Patrick. This edit is the ONLY one this IP address has ever made to Wikipedia. As far as I can tell, it's stayed listed as Gretchen ever since.

I'm leaning towards Patrick actually being the quoted, but unfortunately we might never be able to tell...

Likewise, the attribution of the S5 quote to Brandon was done by an unregistered guest, though at least this person had more than one edit to their name.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 10:46:14 PM by G.B. »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2582 on: July 26, 2022, 03:31:49 PM »

Are there differences in some episodes of the original CBS airing vs elsewhere?

There can be, yes. One early, notorious example was in season 4 where some international broadcasters edited the opening credits and individual episodes to hide the fact that Reichen and Chip were a same sex couple. Other edits are for time or cultural or political sensitivities that arenít an issue in the US or with CBS.
-- theschnauzers