Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161268 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #2550 on: December 16, 2020, 10:45:59 PM »
33 filming getting delayed for at least a year has just got me wondering what kind of back of plan they have legally speaking. It's really crazy that they managed to get this far in without having something like this happen.
Well, a pandemic like the current one is a once in a century sort of thing.
-- theschnauzers

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2551 on: December 17, 2020, 12:26:42 AM »
33 filming getting delayed for at least a year has just got me wondering what kind of back of plan they have legally speaking. It's really crazy that they managed to get this far in without having something like this happen.
Well, a pandemic like the current one is a once in a century sort of thing.

That's true but it could have been anything, not specifically a pandemic. A last minute natural disaster or political upheaval in a place they were visiting, conflict among teams, issues with background checks, an accident on the course, etc. Maybe not as long as 33 has been delayed but no delay or cancellation at all is really lucky.

Like what would happen if they filmed a season and found out one of the contestants had done something horrible or did it after the show? Would they delay it and get to the bottom of it or would they just eat the production cost and cancel it all together since, as far as anyone knows, the season doesn't have to contractually air and they don't have to pay anyone anything?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 01:22:33 AM by cerealking »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2552 on: December 17, 2020, 02:09:44 AM »
It’s known production has a series of backup plans to replace legs or even different legs planned out. What made 33 so unusual is that their backup options got taken off the table so quickly due to the spread of the pandemic in those planned backups as well as in the places teams and production would have to travel to in order to get to those countries. Just remember, the Americas were generally later in seeing the initial COVID-19 surge than Europe, Africa and Asia. And the first major mutation in the coronavirus was in second half of February in Europe.
The fact that some vaccines are now beginning to be administered only means the light is at the end of the tunnel, but that poorer countries won’t likely begin the process until the second half of 2021. So it’s looking more and more likely that TAR and Survivor won’t be able to resume production until 2022.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2553 on: December 19, 2020, 12:46:02 PM »
GB can help me on this.

1. What are the largest countries (area) the U.S Version has never visited?

2. What are the largest countries (pop.) the U.S Version has never visited?
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2554 on: December 19, 2020, 01:08:49 PM »
It’s known production has a series of backup plans to replace legs or even different legs planned out. What made 33 so unusual is that their backup options got taken off the table so quickly due to the spread of the pandemic in those planned backups as well as in the places teams and production would have to travel to in order to get to those countries. Just remember, the Americas were generally later in seeing the initial COVID-19 surge than Europe, Africa and Asia. And the first major mutation in the coronavirus was in second half of February in Europe.
The fact that some vaccines are now beginning to be administered only means the light is at the end of the tunnel, but that poorer countries won’t likely begin the process until the second half of 2021. So it’s looking more and more likely that TAR and Survivor won’t be able to resume production until 2022.

I would think it would be easier for Survivor to get back to filming compared to TAR as it is all set in one location. The latest reports/rumors is they're hoping to get up to three seasons filmed in 2021 with the Dominican Republic as a potential location if Fiji isn't available, and to get the first airing in the summer if all goes well.

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2555 on: December 19, 2020, 01:39:45 PM »
GB can help me on this.

1. What are the largest countries (area) the U.S Version has never visited?

2. What are the largest countries (pop.) the U.S Version has never visited?

1. Algeria, D.R. Congo, Saudi Arabia. I could see Algeria happening, as they are working on making it easier for tourists to come visit because before it was extremely difficult, but I don't see the other two happening anytime soon, if ever.

2. Pakistan, Nigeria, and then D.R. Congo again.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2556 on: December 20, 2020, 12:31:50 AM »
That's nice to know. Thanks Nrh!
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2557 on: December 20, 2020, 01:09:08 AM »
Just a reminder: New countries for TAR Original will always depend on physical safety of travelers from the U.S. per US State Department.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2558 on: December 20, 2020, 01:26:55 AM »
Does anybody know how one can apply not as a racer but as part of the production team? Obviously, TAR isn't filming now, but I'm curious to see the job qualifications and requirements of the different departments in the production team.

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2559 on: December 30, 2020, 01:36:46 AM »
I know that nowadays the teams wait until they all get through customs before exiting the airport (which I despise  :dick) My question is how does it work in the very rare chance they are on multiple flights. Like in the TAR 32 France episode, could someone on the first flight stall in customs until the second flight caught up to help their allies?

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2560 on: December 30, 2020, 06:25:07 PM »
I know that nowadays the teams wait until they all get through customs before exiting the airport (which I despise  :dick) My question is how does it work in the very rare chance they are on multiple flights. Like in the TAR 32 France episode, could someone on the first flight stall in customs until the second flight caught up to help their allies?
I fly though Atlanta which is a super efficient airport and has a ton of capacity but I can't imagine purposefully stalling in customs would go over well.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2561 on: December 30, 2020, 08:58:47 PM »
Teams are held clearing customs until they, production and crews are all through. In returning to the US, connecting flights can be used so all of them have gone through custom before flying to the final city.
-- theschnauzers

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2562 on: December 30, 2020, 09:16:42 PM »
But how does it work when there are two flights (like in Paris in 32)

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2563 on: December 30, 2020, 09:32:02 PM »
But how does it work when there are two flights (like in Paris in 32)

If I remember right, there was only 10 or 20 minutes between each flight, so maybe production made sure there was 10/20 minutes between each group

Offline Uesugi

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #2564 on: April 06, 2021, 01:02:51 PM »
Why hasn't the American version of the Amazing Race visit Egypt since season 5? I don't know much about the country, itself.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #2565 on: April 06, 2021, 09:32:45 PM »
Why hasn't the American version of the Amazing Race visit Egypt since season 5? I don't know much about the country, itself.
I don't want to say this is the right answer or assume, but I believe it's mostly security. There have been multiple bombing and terrorist attacks that have occurred around Egypt between the end of the 2010s, some in major tourist areas like Cairo and Alexandria as well as resort towns, and the time Season 5 was filmed there (in early 2004).
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline LandonM170

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #2566 on: April 06, 2021, 09:54:56 PM »
I don't want to say this is the right answer or assume, but I believe it's mostly security. There have been multiple bombing and terrorist attacks that have occurred around Egypt between the end of the 2010s, some in major tourist areas like Cairo and Alexandria as well as resort towns, and the time Season 5 was filmed there (in early 2004).
Thank you Rachel for explaining. I couldn't word it!

Offline Uesugi

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #2567 on: April 07, 2021, 09:11:37 AM »

Ok, thank you! Yeah that would probably explain it sadly. Shame too because I really liked Legs 5 and 6.

My other question then is about Tunisia. Do they suffer the same issues as Egypt and that's why they haven't visited the country as well?

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2568 on: April 07, 2021, 02:31:46 PM »

Ok, thank you! Yeah that would probably explain it sadly. Shame too because I really liked Legs 5 and 6.

My other question then is about Tunisia. Do they suffer the same issues as Egypt and that's why they haven't visited the country as well?

Yeah I think it's the same deal, parts of both countries have travel advisories IIRC even tho for the most part it's safe to travel to, so I think production errs on the side of caution. Pretty sure this is the same reason why we haven't seen a visit to Nigeria (despite it being the most poupulated African country and pretty accessible via air) and why we definitely won't be seeing Myanmar anytime soon. It's very unfortunate though, there's so much to see in Egypt outside of Luxor and Cairo, it's a gold mine of potential, but sadly production always resorts to the UAE for legs in the Middle East, which has been milked to death, and the occasional Morocco.

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2569 on: April 08, 2021, 08:51:28 AM »
Thank you Rachel for explaining. I couldn't word it!

I'd like to add as well. One of my favorite Travel Bloggers, Christian LeBlanc (Lost LeBlanc) went to Egypt last year along with his girlfriend to make a blog about Egypt and some of it's iconic locations. In one of his videos on Youtube, he described it as one of the toughest places he's ever traveled. There's still a lot of logistical concerns on filming.

In Instagram, in one of his stories, when they were about to leave, his equipment was confiscated prior to leaving Egypt.
An Egyptian helped them secure the paperwork up until the last minute, before they boarded the plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g65wsz6TqcQ&ab_channel=LostLeBlanc

Also, a classmate of mine went on a solo-trip to Egypt prior to the pandemic and he was chased by scammers. They're everywhere, he described. Best to get a legit tour. Despite the bad experiences, he described Egypt as one of the most beautiful countries he has visited.

One of CBS's news reporters, Lara Logan was sexually assaulted in Cairo in 2011.
The safety of female crew and contestants are factor as well.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 08:57:39 AM by TARUSAFan »

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2570 on: November 02, 2021, 01:42:46 AM »
Is there a list of extended Pit Stops from the earlier seasons anywhere? I know TWOP and Tarflies both used to have timeline threads back in the day that would have covered them but both of the sites are now dead.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #2571 on: January 20, 2022, 09:50:39 PM »
My numbers and Wikipedia's numbers disagree on how many Roadblocks Raquel/Cayla have done so far. Would anyone be able to double-check the previous episodes?
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2572 on: January 20, 2022, 10:07:43 PM »
My numbers and Wikipedia's numbers disagree on how many Roadblocks Raquel/Cayla have done so far. Would anyone be able to double-check the previous episodes?

Checked, Raquel has done all of the Roadblocks so far.

Offline TheBayAreaGuy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2573 on: April 15, 2022, 01:21:42 AM »
I don't think there's a list, but I can create and post one. Just have to go through the early episodes on TAR Wikia.

Is there a list of extended Pit Stops from the earlier seasons anywhere? I know TWOP and Tarflies both used to have timeline threads back in the day that would have covered them but both of the sites are now dead.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #2574 on: July 17, 2022, 02:03:25 AM »
I'm presently doing a bit of Wiki stuff involving the Title Quotes... The title of Season 5 Episode 4 (Russia) is "Who Says Pageant Girls Don't Eat?" and it's attributed to Brandon. Well I just scrubbed through the whole episode to every scene of Brandon, and I couldn't find where he said it at all. Did he actually say the line, did someone else say it, or did the producers just make this one up?

Edit: Nope, just checked the entire episode, that phrase is NEVER said by anyone. We've been assuming for years that Brandon said it, but he never does (Unless it's in another episode or an extra online clip that no longer exists)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 11:52:52 PM by G.B. »
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!