Author Topic: TAR Australia Cancelled? (2011-2022?) UPDATE: Nope!  (Read 10208 times)

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
TAR Australia Cancelled? (2011-2022?) UPDATE: Nope!
« on: October 05, 2022, 10:17:28 PM »
Not a surprise given how down it was this year, but Paramount just held their upfronts announcing their slate of shows in 2022.

The Amazing Race Australia was nowhere to be found. Safe to say that after six seasons and eleven years, the Race has come to an end.

Source: https://tvtonight.com.au/2022/10/2023-upfronts-paramount.html
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 12:52:31 AM by gamerfan09 »

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR Australia Cancelled (2011-2022)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 12:09:52 AM »
On top of this, while all the other shows that got renewed are posting their 2023 upfront news, the TAR Australia social media pages have updated the wording for the finale this Sunday.

Instead of "Grand Final" it simply says "The Amazing Race Australia concludes".

It's axed on 10.

Offline Joberio

• RFF Sr. Member
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY & MAYA, WINNERS OF TAR25!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 04:34:12 AM »
Honestly, with the oversaturation of teams the last two seasons and the piss-poor way they handled COVID this season, is it any wonder that it was axed?

And yeah, this network axed it.  Another network could always buy and revive it.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 05:12:26 AM »
Honestly, with the oversaturation of teams the last two seasons and the piss-poor way they handled COVID this season, is it any wonder that it was axed?

And yeah, this network axed it.  Another network could always buy and revive it.

Already hopping in before the inevitable smart-ass response from other people in this forum who have done nothing but complain and complain and complain about 10 TARAUS to say that that's not happening because this season flopped and is apparently the worst thing ever to happen to TAR as a worldwide franchise, etc. etc. etc.

Offline strawberryblonde

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 05:42:48 AM »
This is so sad but I’m not surprised. This season wasn’t that entertaining.  This season made me miss TARAU4 and I wasn’t the biggest fan of that season.

I wish Channel 10 listened to last year’s feedback and dropped it to 12 legs and a smaller cast.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 10:31:45 AM »
Already hopping in before the inevitable smart-ass response from other people in this forum who have done nothing but complain and complain and complain about 10 TARAUS to say that that's not happening because this season flopped and is apparently the worst thing ever to happen to TAR as a worldwide franchise, etc. etc. etc.

One of those "other people" checking in ;)

It's more like, I wanted to like it. I praised the Salvage & Sabotage highly as a replacement for the Speed Bump, the routes were good and so was Australian casting for sticking with the "average people" US fans are always pining for. The Israeli version showed how a lengthy course can work if the tasks are done well.

The main problem was making it too much about Beau and his repetitive, sometimes borderline culturally offensive dad jokes, it showed when the 4 legs with Scott actually felt like an improvement. What also brought down the ratings was running against some of Australia's most unbeatable shows in the timeslot.

I accepted the writing was on the wall when the Covid cases piled up. The network would have just looked at that and seen a giant liability. This could have been a great revival if production got the message last year that people didn't like them "going big" the first time, instead of doubling down on it. A normal, 12-leg race and cast would have sufficed :'(

Offline Lmh1988

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 10:43:26 AM »
Haven’t started this season yet (was watching TAR Canada instead), and I’m still eager to watch, disappointed that it looks like the show is done in Australia again. While I’ll always choose any Amazing Race over none at all, I do think the first three seasons on 7 were undoubtedly better, and I would love to see it return to that network (unlikely, I know)

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 06:00:44 PM »

The main problem was making it too much about Beau and his repetitive, sometimes borderline culturally offensive dad jokes, it showed when the 4 legs with Scott actually felt like an improvement. What also brought down the ratings was running against some of Australia's most unbeatable shows in the timeslot.

I've enjoyed Beau's unseriousness and laid-backness this season.

Scott was incredibly dry. I do agree that production should have not forced the hotel room footage during the scenes where he was out of commission, but Scott's hosting was seriously nothing to write home about either (miss you Grant Bowler). Maybe if they let him do the entirety of the Turkey and Colombia legs I would have seen him get past the growing pains.

If anything, I feel like a big chunk of what went wrong with this season COVID-wise was production refusing to take a break from their hectic filming schedule. During spoilers we had a mini pause during the Greece 3 outbreak, and yet production didn't pause to wait for Scott in Izmir. We had 5 teams in isolation after Turkey which honestly feels connected to this. We literally saw all teams in Belize 3 a mere 5 days after the Colombia leg was filmed - waiting a week to resume could have honestly avoided us the mess of the second iso.

disappointed that it looks like the show is done in Australia again

They did six continents. Only the final three legs are in Australia.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 06:48:14 PM by gamerfan09 »

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 06:15:05 PM »
This is extremely disappointing, but hardly surprising! The ratings for this season were woeful and obviously, the catch-up numbers for the season weren't good enough for us to get renewed for a Season 7!

I suggest everyone enjoys Sunday night's finale, because that's probably gunna be the last episode of TAR Australia we ever see!  :'( :'( :'(

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 06:36:38 PM »
Is this a definite thing? Or is there a possibility it is being revamped?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2022, 06:40:11 PM »
Is this a definite thing? Or is there a possibility it is being revamped?

Almost definite. It's absent from 10's 2023 slate.

Offline tar fan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 07:04:42 PM »
Hi all. In my group, Beau got on one of the threads and said he was 'still hopeful' that it might continue.

When I spoke to him in pm, he said he was 'still confident' that it had a chance.

I'm not dissolving all hope yet.  :ghug:

Offline kyleisalive

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2022, 07:23:59 PM »
This is extremely disappointing, but hardly surprising! The ratings for this season were woeful and obviously, the catch-up numbers for the season weren't good enough for us to get renewed for a Season 7!

I suggest everyone enjoys Sunday night's finale, because that's probably gunna be the last episode of TAR Australia we ever see!  :'( :'( :'(

People said this after TAR AUS 3 too.

Being fatalist doesn't help. lol

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2022, 09:31:58 PM »

Hi all. In my group, Beau got on one of the threads and said he was 'still hopeful' that it might continue.

When I spoke to him in pm, he said he was 'still confident' that it had a chance.

I'm not dissolving all hope yet.  :ghug:

:thankyou:

Guys, for now, I would take that nothing is firm yet! Hang tough!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2022, 03:26:28 PM »
Beau says:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2022, 03:56:26 PM »
Beau says:

Yippee. Enjoyed this season, a great variety of teams. I'd prefer if they went back to 12-14 teams, no intruders, no salvage/sabotage or first class pass, and revisit their penalties as teams took far too many and the time was far too short. Penalties need to be more stringent.
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR Australia Cancelled? UPDATE: TBA
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2022, 05:16:27 AM »
Apps announced to be open.

ETA: Not quite a false alarm yet - the app form is asking for interest rather than actual apps.

https://10play.com.au/the-amazing-race-australia/articles/register-your-interest-for-the-amazing-race-australia-season-4/tpa191127npasz
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 08:51:17 AM by gamerfan09 »

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2022, 05:56:08 AM »
Beau says:

Yippee. Enjoyed this season, a great variety of teams. I'd prefer if they went back to 12-14 teams, no intruders, no salvage/sabotage or first class pass, and revisit their penalties as teams took far too many and the time was far too short. Penalties need to be more stringent. I'd also move away from 21-24 episodes. But Australian television does love this length and big casts - see Masterchef, see Aus Survivor, the list goes on!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2022, 10:29:21 AM »
Happy that it is a TBA situation, despite its fault, it was a great season.
The finale does end with Beau announcing that the website is open for casting applications. So it might still come back to this same network.
They probably need to reassess. They do get a larger number of commissioned episodes to fit the network more than one episode a week structure, thus we got a lot more teams. It would have been interesting if we didn't get so many teams sidelined by COVID, as this structure of two departures was a lot more interesting than previous season's use of stowaways.

Offline Joberio

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2022, 03:54:32 PM »
Yeah. . . . I'm going to have to disagree. . . .

Offline kyleisalive

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2022, 04:04:26 PM »

Lol-- in the other thread for the finale, you said you didn't even finish watching it.  Are you disagreeing based on a Wikipedia page?

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2022, 05:42:18 PM »
There are really just some people, especially on this forum, who have had this weird confirmation bias towards the Network 10 era of TAR Australia (and have forever rose tinted glasses towards the 7 era) and never bothered to get over it. No amount of calling them out on it will ever change that.

Offline kyleisalive

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2022, 05:47:53 PM »
There are really just some people, especially on this forum, who have had this weird confirmation bias towards the Network 10 era of TAR Australia (and have forever rose tinted glasses towards the 7 era) and never bothered to get over it. No amount of calling them out on it will ever change that.

I don't think it's just here to be honest.  Every time a show releases new seasons, especially older shows, people think there are glory days when really, they forget how up-in-arms people were at the time.  I remember the outrage against Flo and Zach on the TAR3 site (back when you could rate teams by popularity!); I remember people losing it over the flight gaps in TAR11 and teams being days behind; I remember people being angry at the muggings and 'Marked For Elimination' twists.  Now people call those the golden era.

People want something to whine about and message boards give them an opportunity to make it seem like their opinion has weight.  Really, they just come across like they want the show to end instead of improve.  It's likely not their intent, but they're disregarding their actual message and tone because they're looking at it in the moment.  If I were Network 10 looking at this board, I'd pack it in.  That's what these people are putting across.  And for some reason they can't see it.

Can't improve a show for next time if you're repeating that it's the end of the show.

Looking forward to the possibility of the next.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 05:56:06 PM by kyleisalive »

Offline Joberio

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2022, 06:05:48 PM »

Lol-- in the other thread for the finale, you said you didn't even finish watching it.  Are you disagreeing based on a Wikipedia page?
I'm disagreeing based on my own thoughts in terms of what I did watch.  And I thought it was poor, not great.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2022, 04:20:09 AM »
Not TAR, but:

https://tvblackbox.com.au/page/2022/10/21/channel-9-commissions-new-travel-adventures-series-globetrotters-promising-the-overseas-adventure-of-a-lifetime/

Channel 9 has officially greenlit a show called "Globetrotters" which is cited as an "original concept" developed by Endemol Shine where "two teams of two pack their bags for the overseas adventure of a liftetime with a huge cash prize for the winning team".

Apps are open and the show will film January 30, 2023 for six weeks.

I wonder if 9 secretly picked up TAR from 10 under this working title  :duno: The filming schedule is eerily similar to what 10 did for TAR Australia 5-6 (6-7 weeks for both seasons).