Author Topic: TAR 33 LIVE STREAMS AND COMMENTARY HERE! EP 1&2 1/5/2022 8-10 PM EST  (Read 12181 times)

Offline Samuel_

• RFF Newbie
Re: TAR 33 LIVE STREAMS AND COMMENTARY HERE! EP 1&2 1/5/2022 8-10 PM EST
« Reply #150 on: January 08, 2022, 09:37:48 AM »
Just watched this double episode and I must be in the minority because I found the second half significantly better than the first half.

I really hate the introducing the teams as the episode goes on thing they do now, just introduce them all before the race begins. Even after two episodes I feel like I've hardly seen three or four of them.

The split starting line is rubbish, but I understand it might have been a necessity because of covid.

Leg 1 seemed to consist largely of "hey, English people speak differently to us". I love night legs, but all the challenges outside the street art detour (which was really good) felt too similar to me. Did enjoy the Queen/Boris cameos.

In Leg 2, the Roadblock was too simple but it seemed to throw a couple of people so maybe it had the desired effect. Think a TAR11-style, find your team amongst the addresses would have been more effective a challenge than the find the TAR envelope. The Detour I think was nearly perfect. Darts may not be exciting, but it's a huge part of British culture, and speaking as a Brit myself, I thought the teams going for that were mental. Hitting the bullseye twice in the same round seemed ridiculously difficult to me, but they seemed to manage it. I would have chosen the cake detour with no question, but again, it's a great challenge with the other cakes throwing the racers off. Maybe the first TAR challenge that's needed knowledge of current affairs with Brexit, but it was one of the best detours in the long time I think.

Didn't like the bus pit stop, it was uncomfortable to watch.

I'm from Scotland, so looking forward to next week. However, Phil's pronunciation of Glasgow made me sad. It's "Glaz-go", there's no alternative.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2022, 10:08:05 AM »
:hiya :welcome2: to the R.F.F. Samuel_
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2022, 11:13:23 AM »
Just watched this double episode and I must be in the minority because I found the second half significantly better than the first half.

I really hate the introducing the teams as the episode goes on thing they do now, just introduce them all before the race begins. Even after two episodes I feel like I've hardly seen three or four of them.

The split starting line is rubbish, but I understand it might have been a necessity because of covid.

Leg 1 seemed to consist largely of "hey, English people speak differently to us". I love night legs, but all the challenges outside the street art detour (which was really good) felt too similar to me. Did enjoy the Queen/Boris cameos.

In Leg 2, the Roadblock was too simple but it seemed to throw a couple of people so maybe it had the desired effect. Think a TAR11-style, find your team amongst the addresses would have been more effective a challenge than the find the TAR envelope. The Detour I think was nearly perfect. Darts may not be exciting, but it's a huge part of British culture, and speaking as a Brit myself, I thought the teams going for that were mental. Hitting the bullseye twice in the same round seemed ridiculously difficult to me, but they seemed to manage it. I would have chosen the cake detour with no question, but again, it's a great challenge with the other cakes throwing the racers off. Maybe the first TAR challenge that's needed knowledge of current affairs with Brexit, but it was one of the best detours in the long time I think.

I'm from Scotland, so looking forward to next week. However, Phil's pronunciation of Glasgow made me sad. It's "Glaz-go", there's no alternative.
Welcome to RFF!

Highlighted is exactly how I feel about the premiere as well. And I'm glad you mentioned the Ushuaia Post Office Roadblock because that's exactly what I was wishing happened during the broadcast. The secondhand embarrassment I still have for the challenge producers when Penn said it shouldn't have been so straightforward.
:funny:
Way too easy for current RB standards albeit the comedy. Lala ripping open the regular envelopes is what I would have done myself and what would've made for an exciting battle to return aboard the Mail Rail. In spite of that, Leg 2 definitely felt more cohesive than Leg 1 because it turned the notch up on England's current affairs and unique invention origins. Leg 1 felt more like a living and breathing caricature of the city. I'm bummed they skipped showing the ArcelorMittal Orbit visit due to inclement weather though. Would've made such a lovely "centerpiece" contrast from the ground-level transportation and tasks.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2022, 02:10:54 PM »

Welcome to RFF!

Highlighted is exactly how I feel about the premiere as well. And I'm glad you mentioned the Ushuaia Post Office Roadblock because that's exactly what I was wishing happened during the broadcast. The secondhand embarrassment I still have for the challenge producers when Penn said it shouldn't have been so straightforward.
:funny:
Way too easy for current RB standards albeit the comedy. Lala ripping open the regular envelopes is what I would have done myself and what would've made for an exciting battle to return aboard the Mail Rail. In spite of that, Leg 2 definitely felt more cohesive than Leg 1 because it turned the notch up on England's current affairs and unique invention origins. Leg 1 felt more like a living and breathing caricature of the city. I'm bummed they skipped showing the ArcelorMittal Orbit visit due to inclement weather though. Would've made such a lovely "centerpiece" contrast from the ground-level transportation and tasks.

they were meant to go up the orbit?

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2022, 04:12:17 PM »
they were meant to go up the orbit?

Kim & Penn said in their recap. After the leg 2 Detour, they walked up it to a get a clue and were meant to slide down, but production told them just to climb down due to too much fog. It was cut entirely from the episode since it didn't affect placements.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2022, 06:19:07 AM »
There is something strange with the times in this episode. Connie & Sam reached Digiben 54 minutes after Akbar & Sheri. Form there they made their way to the restaurant and then the Pit stop. At the start of the next leg Connie & Sam are only 13 minutes after Akbar & Sheri. Did they really make up that much time on transportation or is there something else in play?
I would suspect production issues and a following time credit.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2022, 02:54:43 PM »
I am very confident that Connie & Sam checked-in after Taylor & Isaiah (originally 7th) and Arun & Natalia (originally 8th) but production obviously gave them a time credit, and just edited it into the episode rather than explain.
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline OMGitsGARRET

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #157 on: January 09, 2022, 09:32:57 PM »
There is something strange with the times in this episode. Connie & Sam reached Digiben 54 minutes after Akbar & Sheri. Form there they made their way to the restaurant and then the Pit stop. At the start of the next leg Connie & Sam are only 13 minutes after Akbar & Sheri. Did they really make up that much time on transportation or is there something else in play?
I would suspect production issues and a following time credit.

Yes I agree.
I made posts speculating about that in this thread:
https://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,37126.0.html

I'm pretty certain Connie and Sam did get a time credit from production for some reason.