Author Topic: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Final Round Design Show on Page 50!  (Read 89719 times)

Offline smiley

• RFF Frantic Poster
Great job, Zach!

Online ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Offline betheactress

• RFF Not So Newbie
thank you, declive and smiley :cheer:

Online ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
https://imgur.com/a/iqHk2Z6

Leg 11: Pictures, and forgert add money 34 USD

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
A lot of fantastic designs guys! Great job to everyone! :2hearts:

redwings - really solid leg overall, I loved the ABBA task and I love the ice task!

Nuku - I love Prague so much, one of my favourite cities! Burning witches <3 Czech marionettes <3 (I bought a Czech marionette as a souvenir when I was there last year haha)

Bookworm - good leg in a city that has a lot of potential! I really like the Detour! I love that this leg started in Gaztelugatxe - I have such a horrible but hilarious experience with that place but that's another story! :funny:

ZBC Company - another Pit Start that I have been to lol <3 Another underused city on TAR and you did a great job with some cool tasks!

MrDS - really great French leg which avoids so many stereotypical tasks. Really loved the movie Detour!

betheactress - great Dutch leg. Absolutely love the bike fishing task, that's awesome!

MikeDodgers - yet another Pit Stop I've been to (albeit this one's in the city I live in lol). A really different Canadian leg which I enjoyed. I particularly loved searching for the different moose statues around Toronto - that would be iconic! Meese rule!

elthemagnifico - Phineas & Ferb lol <3 A pretty fun leg overall and I particularly enjoyed the sake task.

nrh2110 - not your typical Finland leg! I think you came up with some pretty creative challenges overall!

Lemontail - yet another Pit Start that I have been to lol <3 Aphrodite's Rock <3 Another Lyon leg that avoided a lot of French stereotypes and I appreciated that!

Great work everybody and good luck! :luvya: I can't believe there were 4 Pit Starts I've been to amidst all of that lol :funny: :2hearts:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Online ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Anything that needs improvmerment

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
thanks racer <3

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • BIG MISTAKE
Thanks Racer! Glad you liked the Detour! :)
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
submitted. i was so burnt out for this round

also great job guys, this round is fantastic, and im so nervous seeing yours!  :cheer:

also shootout for Mike for having a cartoon characters on TAR. welcome to the cartoon gang :jam: :funny:

Who knows? I may just end up using Milo and Melissa next time I'm in a TAR game! And thanks to Racer for the comments on my leg. Glad you liked it!
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

-Theme song from 'Full House' (1987-1995)

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
Poll is up and I've updated Page 1 :0328:
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster

(yes I love doing this :lol:)

Alright! Time to get the festivities going!

redwings8831 [Stockholm, Sweden]
Show content
- Unfortunately for redwings, I was recently in Stockholm so I have on-ground experience with some of these! :lol:
- The stations task is good; my main issue was that you included a station near Stockholm Central (which is where all trains from Arlanda head to); this then allows whoever gets T-Centralen a big advantage as they have an easier time taking a taxi to Ericsson Globe (which is almost p much on the same highway as that station), whereas the other stations are further off
- What I would have done with the order of the first half is have them "find the sun in Stockholm", and then have them navigate the metro towards the nine stations, and *then* have them scramble for the ferry ride to Djurgården
- ABBA Detour is fun and good; can confirm that the ABBA Museum has the facilities for that <3
- Vasa Detour would have been better if it were an actual ship replica-building task instead of just attaching the flags
- While I wish you chose a different location for the vodka RB, I am generally fine with choosing vodka for the drink (as Sweden is part of the vodka belt) and I'm okay with a good logic puzzle
- Circling back to the issue of logistics, the Roadblock venue is about next door to Stockholm Central and the Pit Stop is right near one of the nine stations; the leg would have been better had the route been less of a back-and-forth across the city.

Nuku [Prague, Czech Republic]
Show content
- I'll skip over the Roadblock since I found that good <3
- I'll also skip over the Detour (which I'm assuming is the utopia assessment criterion) since it's decent and relevant for the most part (although I wish both Detours didn't have some sort of physical exhaustion component what with the carrying and castle-running; and of course costumes <3)
- Oh and the Fred & Ginger clue <3
- My main criticism is actually with the architecture RI and everything that arose from it! Looking at the map of the four locations one of them is actually far away from the other three (St. Nicholas Church is literally on the other side of the river from the other three locations), and if you replaced that one with something closer (I would suggest the Klementinum, which is also a Baroque building in Prague) then you could theoretically you could move the architect impersonator to the RB venue. And then you could do the architecture RI but instead of collecting postcards they collect marionettes, and if they have the right marionettes at the theater they can proceed with the RB. This can work too since the RB venue + RI venues are on the same side of the river, and the Detour venues + Pit Stop are both on the opposite side. [ETA: Nuku actually corrected me on this and pointed out that I was looking at a different St. Nicholas Church, so that critique has been resolved! I do still think that the ARI would have been better if it was followed by the RB, but the ARI itself now works more smoothly for me!]

Bookworm [Barcelona, Spain]
Show content
- Structure-wise, I really really love this leg! It feels like a smooth, sensible transition from one location to another!
- Location-wise, I feel like there were a lot of main clue parks that were plotted on the race course (as compared to the number of main clue buildings), when Barcelona has a lot of other fun buildings and landmarks to visit (as you yourself mentioned)!
- Task-wise, there were definitely a lot of festivals that were put in focus, which I appreciate since you really went all out to showcase Catalonian culture! That being said, the Sagrada Detour is definitely way too complex to function as a balanced TAR Detour option against Sangria, especially since you already took the alcohol out, which IMO would have helped balance the tasks a bit! In general, actually, the tasks give off a vibe of trying to shoehorn too much into a limited frame and sometimes it can take away more than add to a leg. Complicated legs are good if you have the airtime for all of the explanations; otherwise, keep it simple!

ZBC Company [Dublin, Ireland]
Show content
- As I previously mentioned, I always find night legs more challenging to design so props for taking the risk!
- Unfortunately, I was hoping for a night leg in Ireland that isn't centered on "what could I do while drunk?", which is why I actually found the Roadblock my favorite part of the leg despite it being a simple weaving task.
- More than the theme of the second half of the leg, however, I think logistically it would have been better to swap the coffee-making task (I'm still unsure on how to feel about one team member doing this task blindfolded) and the Detour (I like both tasks independently well enough, but again the overall theme of the second half could translate better) just based on the locations.

MrDS [Lyon, France]
Show content
- Not much to say about the leg in terms of structure; it makes sense logistically and in a city-based leg that's sometimes all there is to it in this aspect!
- The locations were definitely a good mix of task-pertinent buildings, landmarks and public spaces. I wish there could definitely have been a lot more historical buildings homaged, given the plethora of historical sights in the country, but that's more of personal preference.
- Task-wise, I have a couple of notes. Regarding the silk + feeding Roadblock, it definitely could have been split into two separate tasks (especially considering the fact that Lyon is a gastronomic capital as well and a good food task would have helped highlight that). In addition, the film Detour could be way too long when compared to the wall Detour; would have been to see how long each film reel takes to watch as compared to how long the bike rides all take.

betheactress [Amsterdam, Netherlands]
Show content
- Okay so fun fact I once ran a VTAR leg in Andorra where they flew in via Barcelona and flew out via Toulouse; having teams decide on which airport to fly out of is a decision I can confirm can be done in this instance <3
- I actually really love this leg! Structure-wise I'd probably move the Waternet Roadblock to right before the Pit Stop since  they're closer together, but everything else works and flows properly!
- And speaking of the Roadblock, I especially love that you went with sustainability for the utopia assessment criterion portion of this round because Amsterdam is a city that has all sorts of sustainability initiatives in place to prevent incidences of flooding.
- I love the art vs. science Detour and I really love that that wasn't even the angle you chose for the Detour even though the one you did choose made sense. <3 And of course tulips are fun and good.

MikeDodgers [Toronto, Canada]
Show content
- First of all, I appreciate being one of the few night legs in this roster; I have some value appropriated for good risk-taking.
- That said, I feel like the ordering of the tasks could have been better? Based on where the locations were, I would have suggested that the Harbourfront Centre be the first clue after the Edgewalk (especially since you can, like, set up some sort of neon race flag there that can be spotted from the Edgewalk and then truly capitalize the "night" of the night leg). If not that, you could have made something like having teams taste-test at the three moose statues and then have the Harbourfront Center task be a memory task about the fusion dishes they've tasted from the bystanders at the moose statues.
- I am not commenting on the Flashpoint RB and the hockey Detour much because my taste leads me to tend to hate sports tasks and especially ridiculous crossovers on TAR Canada; I will say the ideas are there at least! What I would have done is make hockey not the focal point of both Detours and made it one option, with the other option centered on the art aspect of the Roadblock (which would then make the Harbourfront Center task in this scenario the Roadblock instead).

elthemagnifico [Kobe, Japan]
Show content
- First of all, *thank you* for not including a game show for this leg. :lol: Yes you had a cartoon task anyways, but Japanese animation > Japanese game shows as far as stereotypical Japanese tasks go!
- Onto the actual leg though, I think adding a Speed Bump actually hurt you more than it helped because I absolutely am not a fan of Speed Bumps since they're usually either way too insignificant to penalize a team or way too significant to doom them entirely and having a team go to the restaurant and back. On a personal note tho, I do enjoy some shabu-shabu! <3
- As far as the Roadblock goes, I feel like the Japanese tea ceremony has a lot of components to nail and centering on the tea preparation was a good idea in theory; however, if the intent was to focus on preparing the actual tea, maybe the movements / performance should have been cut out as that's really more on the ceremony itself rather than the actual tea.
- Slicky / Sticky are both good tasks IMO, but I really wish Slicky wasn't way off the map as compared to the rest of the route markers.
- I'm assuming the house task is in reference to a previous leg in this metaphorical race.

nrh2110 [Helsinki, Finland]
Show content
- I have no real qualms about the licorice ARI! It's a good way to allow teams to settle in and soak Helsinki.
- My main comment about the Roadblock is that I already saw this on HaMerotz 4. :lol: You beat me on the comment about swapping the Roadblock to the front of the leg, but I would actually counter that pushing an obstacle course (that notably did not do much to change standings on HaMerotz 4 except doom the weaker teams) to the end makes things less suspenseful, whereas if you put the Living (I agree with this Detour being meaningful and I appreciate that) / Listening (which: you yourself mentioned that each symphony is long; if the sketch is in a random part of each symphony, there is a huuuge risk of this Detour being ridiculously imbalanced, and that's only assuming that they get it right at first guess!) Detour at the end, there could be some suspense.
- Love the Pit Stop choice, and it would have been cute to see a clue-clue for it. <3

Lemontail [Lyon, France]
Show content
- Well that's unfortunate that there were two of y'all that had a Lyon leg. :lbf Thankfully they're not actually alike so I can make separate judgments! Both legs also make sense from a logistical standpoint / showcase a good mix of locations (even if there are a few similar locations :lol:) so that makes my job easier!
- Okay I'm pretending to not know about the fact that both of y'all had a Detour involving cinema. :lol: I will give praise to the Detour task in itself having a mini-memory component, but I do wish it wasn't a puzzle, since the other Detour (which I also liked) already had a puzzle component.
- Love the Interpol ARI; it works as a great shock to the system at the very beginning of the leg. <3
- As I mentioned above I actually wished for a food-related RB, and here I got it! My main comment here would be that it would have been better if the dishes all had different elements; if the ingredients are disorganized and you had two dishes with potatoes, what is your main guarantee that there won't be confusion over how many potatoes constitute 1 dish and how many are for the other?

And that's it for my critiques! <3 I'll be using the following scoring system to rate the legs:
- Logistics: /10
- Task Feasibility: /8
- Task Creativity: /8
- Task Originality: /7
- Potential Entertainment Value: /7
- Overall Leg Impact: /10

Good luck to the Final 10! <3
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 09:50:06 AM by ImANewUser »
I'm baaaaaack!

Online ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
will least mad to final 10

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
- My main comment about the Roadblock is that I already saw this on HaMerotz 4. :lol: You beat me on the comment about swapping the Roadblock to the front of the leg, but I would actually counter that pushing an obstacle course (that notably did not do much to change standings on HaMerotz 4 except doom the weaker teams) to the end makes things less suspenseful, whereas if you put the Living (I agree with this Detour being meaningful and I appreciate that) / Listening (which: you yourself mentioned that each symphony is long; if the sketch is in a random part of each symphony, there is a huuuge risk of this Detour being ridiculously imbalanced, and that's only assuming that they get it right at first guess!) Detour at the end, there could be some suspense.

Thanks IANU!

I've never seen any seasons of TAR except the US ones and the Australian ones so I had 0 clue that this task was already done. When I wrote my notes, it was like 3 AM and my mind was all over the place due to my ADHD so I forgot to add that another reason for this task at the end was due to how it could really physically drain teams, especially if a team member who is less physically capable (since you're carrying of like 110+ pounds for four laps), so I figured putting that before a time-consuming Detour (especially since Living requires some body strength), it could make the Detour less doable.

In terms of the imbalance of the Detour, I definitely can see that, but I doubt any team is going to listen to each symphony in its entirety when trying to order them, they'll likely just skip around (and like I said, the sketches will be of significant parts of the symphonies—some of the most significant/memorable parts of the symphonies are right at the beginning, so a few of them they should be able to get right off the bat. I think because of this it can go one of three ways—if they're really good at it, they'll complete it much faster than the other Detour; if they're really struggling, they'll be there longer; and if they're average, they'll probably finish it in the same time. The other side of the Detour has more of a definitive time, because painting an apartment takes a while and isn't something that can be rushed. I think there's a lot of Detours on TARUS that seem to have an imbalance because of the randomness of one side and this fits in with that.

Anyways, thanks again for your comments! I thought the comments would be a lot harsher, but now I'm feeling a bit better about my leg  :2hearts:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 11:23:48 AM by nrh2110 »

Online ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Ian, did you like history

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
ImANewUser, thank you for the comments. I was expecting them to be much harsher. About the Detour - while I was planning out the leg, I was thinking 'you have this whole museum filled with interactive exhibits; why not put them to use?' In the notes I put forward, I thought 3 per teammate for Shootout and 5 for Shutout felt reasonable enough for benchmarks. The Roadblock was something that came to me through research after figuring out that I had already done 2 quizzes in this game and I wanted to stray away from a 3rd. The result was a physical/mental task that would be markedly difficult as I designed the leg as a F4 leg. It's also a nod to Toronto being Hollywood North - a locale where some major film and TV productions have been shot. The tasks would be on the difficult side to make teams earn the chance to race in the F3 for the $1,000,000 prize.
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

-Theme song from 'Full House' (1987-1995)

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster

Thanks IANU!

I've never seen any seasons of TAR except the US ones and the Australian ones so I had 0 clue that this task was already done. When I wrote my notes, it was like 3 AM and my mind was all over the place due to my ADHD so I forgot to add that another reason for this task at the end was due to how it could really physically drain teams, especially if a team member who is less physically capable (since you're carrying of like 110+ pounds for four laps), so I figured putting that before a time-consuming Detour (especially since Living requires some body strength), it could make the Detour less doable.

In terms of the imbalance of the Detour, I definitely can see that, but I doubt any team is going to listen to each symphony in its entirety when trying to order them, they'll likely just skip around (and like I said, the sketches will be of significant parts of the symphonies—some of the most significant/memorable parts of the symphonies are right at the beginning, so a few of them they should be able to get right off the bat. I think because of this it can go one of three ways—if they're really good at it, they'll complete it much faster than the other Detour; if they're really struggling, they'll be there longer; and if they're average, they'll probably finish it in the same time. The other side of the Detour has more of a definitive time, because painting an apartment takes a while and isn't something that can be rushed. I think there's a lot of Detours on TARUS that seem to have an imbalance because of the randomness of one side and this fits in with that.

Anyways, thanks again for your comments! I thought the comments would be a lot harsher, but now I'm feeling a bit better about my leg  :2hearts:
hi nrh!

-- re: HaMerotz, dw I understand since I know not everyone has seen HaMerotz

-- re: the Detour imbalance, I get the intent, and I actually considered the idea of teams skipping! But when you play with vinyl records I would think it's not as easy to skip multiple times through a record without risking further damage. Also, if it helps, I didn't appreciate those Detours with blatant imbalances either. :lol:

ImANewUser, thank you for the comments. I was expecting them to be much harsher. About the Detour - while I was planning out the leg, I was thinking 'you have this whole museum filled with interactive exhibits; why not put them to use?' In the notes I put forward, I thought 3 per teammate for Shootout and 5 for Shutout felt reasonable enough for benchmarks. The Roadblock was something that came to me through research after figuring out that I had already done 2 quizzes in this game and I wanted to stray away from a 3rd. The result was a physical/mental task that would be markedly difficult as I designed the leg as a F4 leg. It's also a nod to Toronto being Hollywood North - a locale where some major film and TV productions have been shot. The tasks would be on the difficult side to make teams earn the chance to race in the F3 for the $1,000,000 prize.
Hi Mike!
- re: the Detour, the task specifics of each option I didn't mind, I just wish they weren't both hockey-related
- re: the Roadblock, that explanation actually makes more sense as to the intent; I guess the execution just wasn't as clear as it could have been

and thanks as well for engaging <3 as y'all can see I'm willing to engage and elaborate further if need be! I'm a guest judge only, but I'm willing to help as much as I can and I've definitely had struggles with planning out good legs before so I can definitely offer help where I'm asked!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 12:46:32 PM by ImANewUser »
I'm baaaaaack!

Online ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
- More than the theme of the second half of the leg, however, I think logistically it would have been better to swap the coffee-making task (I'm still unsure on how to feel about one team member doing this task blindfolded) and the Detour (I like both tasks independently well enough, but again the overall theme of the second half could translate better) just based on the locations.

My thought was that this was the final task which could lead to race the pit stop. It is similar to Survivor tasks, where one team member had guide team members to make Irish Coffee.

Offline MrDS

• RFF Jr. Member
Hi IANU, thank you for the comments :-) just a quick note re: the timings, I know that reading the RP bit isn't necessarily a part of the leg, but the timings of the reels is there in it - "...begin watching each of the 12 film reels, each lasting about a minute...", so that would be 12 minutes of watching the reels then however long teams take to order the films, watch it (another 12 minutes) and then it goes like that. The timings for the wall Detour are there in the maps under the heading "Writing on the Wall Detour".

I do apologise that the timings are not made clear but they are a part of the design already :P

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
IANU, thank you for the comments.

To explain, they listened to the chef's utterances of the dish names, and then the chef shows the ingredients to their noses after it. Then a pause, then proceed with another dish. They have to remember how many amounts of ingredient they've smelt for each dish, so there won't be confusion.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline betheactress

• RFF Not So Newbie
IANU Thanks for the comments  :yourock:

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster

My thought was that this was the final task which could lead to race the pit stop. It is similar to Survivor tasks, where one team member had guide team members to make Irish Coffee.
hi ZBC! Gotcha on the coffee task, but maybe it would have been better if they actually had to balance a tray of Irish coffees while walking to the Pit Stop if that was the intent (which would further drive the "drunk Irish leg" stereotype, yes, but I'm also assuming something else gets replaced).

Hi IANU, thank you for the comments :-) just a quick note re: the timings, I know that reading the RP bit isn't necessarily a part of the leg, but the timings of the reels is there in it - "...begin watching each of the 12 film reels, each lasting about a minute...", so that would be 12 minutes of watching the reels then however long teams take to order the films, watch it (another 12 minutes) and then it goes like that. The timings for the wall Detour are there in the maps under the heading "Writing on the Wall Detour".

I do apologise that the timings are not made clear but they are a part of the design already :P
Hi MDS! Thanks for the clarification!

IANU, thank you for the comments.

To explain, they listened to the chef's utterances of the dish names, and then the chef shows the ingredients to their noses after it. Then a pause, then proceed with another dish. They have to remember how many amounts of ingredient they've smelt for each dish, so there won't be confusion.
Hi Lemontail! So that means it's a rotation of dishes every X minutes, I'm assuming? That would probably be a better way to do it yes.

Hi to Beth as well <3 And thanks for responding to my critiques guys! This is also a tip: always ask yourself if there's any confusing information left out while proofreading your leg, because if we're having questions like this and a back-and-forth, that probably means everything's not yet been fully explained! <3
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
Yeah, rotation of dishes every X minutes, and thank you once again, IANU. :)
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • BIG MISTAKE
IANU, thanks for your comments. I'm glad you found the leg to flow smoothly and represent Catalonia well.

With regards to parks- yes, I do visit three, but it's worth noting that they're all quite difference. Parc de l'Espanya Industrial is a very urban park centered on a water feature and the focus is on the dragon sculpture, not the greenspace. It also serves as a connection to Parc Güell, which is very building-centric; teams find their clue besides a staircase between several buildings. Parc Guell is nominally a park, but is moreso a collection of buildings. I would argue that it's quite distinct from the other two. Parc de la Ciutadella is very much what you and I would expect a park to look like. I needed the open space for the Roadblock, since it takes up a lot of room and I needed sufficient territory to accommodate multiple teams. That being said, I also featured La Cascada Monumental to add more of the city's incredible architecture. I appreciate your concerns for location diversity!

I understand that the Sagrada Detour seems complex. Perhaps I should've added fireworks as merely a decorative feature and absent from the actual task portion. The premise in of itself seems simple enough- running with a heavy object under a certain time while doing a minor action every so often- but I understand that there are a lot of moving parts and it can be overwhelming. The presentation may have been further complicated comprehension; I wanted to use pictures to accurately define each of the concepts, but I can see how that might have prevented the synthesis of all components. Thank you for your commentary, please know that I share your concern, and I hope it did not detract from the quality or enjoyment of my Leg.

Thank you!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member
>>>
Bump for comments to be on the top of the next page
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member

Releasing my first batch of comments. :)

Betheactess - Amsterdam

Show content
• This leg launches in Andorra, where teams have to make a decision of whether they want to fly from Toulouse or Barcelona. I like how the teams will have to conduct their own transportation research and have varied arrival times in Amsterdam.

• The first task in Amsterdam is a bicycle excavation Roadblock, and it looks to be challenging, entertaining, and nonlinear! There’s a small bit of chance involved, yet performance still highly depends on navigation skills, patience, and smarts. I could see this task having a logistical issue if each team has their own claw boat/barge; the canals can be narrow sometimes and it could get crowded quickly. And as always, there’s a safety issue with operating heavy machinery. Overall, I like the task and it’s interesting how you showed a different angle of Dutch bike culture. Not to mention, it’s perfect for the theme of the round.

• The Bridge of 15 Bridges is the Detour Decision Point for Zoom In/Zoom Out. Zoom In requires teams to use their resources around the museum to name the bacteria they’re given. While the scientific jargon and processes will likely be hard to follow along with for the majority of viewers, this will be a formidable attention-to-detail task for the racers.

• Zoom Out is an art task with a twist. I like how teams can either go through the museum quickly in hopes of getting more attempts in or go more slowly and methodically. There’s a good chance teams will need multiple attempts, unless they have really sharp memories or get semi-lucky. I like how the task is tough at first, but gets easier each repetition.

• I like how, even though there is a luck factor in each task (the correct answers could be guessed), the tasks have an element built in to create time between guesses (new bacteria to analyze, a new trip around the museum). I definitely believe that Zoom Out is the stronger task in this Detour, but it is a balanced Detour overall.

• The Bloemenmarkt is the site of a quality ARI, where teams have to accumulate flowers to exchange for a larger flower, the clue to the Pit Stop. Teams running around this floating market, interacting with vendors, making the transactions building up to the final trade… this is a sharply frantic task placed right before the Pit Stop, and I’m all for it. I wonder if team members will stick together, or split up? As long as teams don’t follow one another around, every team will probably have a different path of getting to the Semper augustus, which is interesting. Good task!

• Props for relating almost all of the liveable city criteria to your tasks, even though you were only required to utilize one.

• Teams then finish out at a waterfront Pit Stop to end the leg.

While the leg was in an oft-visited locale (Amsterdam) and featured some similar motifs to past legs here and there (bicycles, Van Gogh art, tulips), the leg felt like a breath of fresh air compared to past legs in North Holland and the Netherlands in general. Transportation choices, from the Pit Start all the way to the mat, were diversified nicely. Tasks had potential for drama and featured key parts of Dutch culture and history. This was one of your strongest legs yet! Good luck for the rest of the way as we turn into the home stretch.

Bookworm - Barcelona

Show content
• We’ll start in Basque Country where teams are instructed to travel by shuttle, bus, then train to Barcelona, which surprisingly hasn’t hosted any tasks since TAR 10. Nice to see it resurface.

• Reading the next clue while sliding down the slide is unique. That clue leads them to another creature sculpture, which gives the Detour. Performing Sagrada would feel like juggling three things at once: pushing the animal, navigating, and distributing the sparklers, all while doing the task in a time limit. Pushing animal statues through city streets is fun- Gretchen and the elephant says hello- and the procession will be flashy. I do like how teams can select how they want to make the task easier for the next go-round. I think it makes the task more fair when teams are able to give themselves a leg up for the next turn when it’s a physical task like this one. I would have liked to see the 20-minute penalty be applied at the arrival site; it’s a bit awkward to have teams stop running in the middle of the route. There are a lot of rules and specifications to understand for this task, but at its core it is highly cultural.

• Sangria is a drinking task involving a Spanish mixed beverage. I personally think the non-alcoholic drink choice is a good inclusion. While teams will be able to intuitively detect the amounts of some of the ingredients, it feels like the task might come down to guessing more than taste buds. That’s not necessarily a bad thing as it’s okay for the task to necessitate some element of luck and multiple guesses, but it could easily be frustrating for teams to be off by one berry. However, that’s the risk teams take if they opt for this task!

• Parc de la Ciutadella is the Roadblock site. I didn’t know about the genre of weapons dances and definitely didn’t know they were from Catalonia, so that was a nice detail to learn. I’m somewhat surprised you said the task would take 30 to 70 minutes in your notes- this dance routine in particular seems fast-paced and complex, and they have an extended performance. (Not doubting your estimation, but just noting my take.) Like you said, this task may be extra difficult for racers from teams who did the Sagrada detour. That task was physically intensive and outdoors, while the other Detour was not strenuous and indoors. In any case, this task should be good for drama and will reward racers who exhibit focus and tenacity.

• Teams then depart for the Pit Stop, an ornate former hospital.

I support the ways in which the leg featured the Catalan culture in the Barcelona urban environment. The locations were stunning and representative of the striking architecture found in the city. The tasks were creative and nonlinear, although a tad skewed toward physical. Overall, I think it’s a strong design that is likely to catapult you into the next round!

Lemontail - Lyon

Show content
• Four teams fly from Cyprus to Lyon, France. It’s one of the cities on the list not visited yet by any TAR franchise, so I’m excited to see the design here.

• The jars task at Interpol HQ is rather creepy. The whole concept of the jars containing replicas of body parts of past deaths/injuries in Lyon’s history is super macabre yet oddly fascinating. All I want to say about this task is, remember that TAR is a family show.

• After that, teams go to a monument where they find a Detour envelope. I really like Prove- it’s hands-on experience with an older type of technology, as well as a mini memory task. How many slides do they have to look through? I think I would prefer for the correct pictures from Leg 2 to be spaced throughout the slides of photos, instead of all in a series. After that, I like how teams have to correctly make the slideshow to receive their next clue. Good task!

• Move is more of a puzzle task, and the communication from the balcony to the floor is an interesting dynamic. I enjoy the fact that teams have to dress up in period clothing. This should make for a fun task, and getting the next clue from the chest is a cute detail. Overall, both sides of the Detour are strong.

• On to the Hotel-Dieu de Lyon for the Roadblock, a gastronomy task where olfactory senses are more important than mere memorization. If teams can use their sense of smell during the second part, then the task should go by much quicker. While I do think it is an easier task than either of the Detours, it should still take teams several tries. I assume racers aren’t told what is wrong. I like how each racer has a separate area in which to perform the second phase of the Roadblock.

• I’m a fan of how teams will have to go on foot to the Pit Stop- it’s a little bit of navigation to end the leg and it means that Roadblock finishing order might not equate to check-in order. The Pit Stop is a photogenic location.

After an enticing but grotesque Active Route Info to start out, the leg’s tasks and locations took a step up. This was one of my favorite Detours of the round, with both sides containing a historical device used in a modern-day task. The Roadblock was also appropriate with Lyon being well known for its food and the challenge being a different take on French cuisine than ideas we’ve seen in the past. Overall, a good introduction to Lyon and another solid stepping stone in your DC journey so far.

MikeDodgers - Toronto

Show content
• This leg kicks off vis-a-vis the Sydney Opera House, where teams are informed they are going to Canada. Teams have to fly practically a full day and over 10,000 miles to get to T-Dot aka The Big Smoke aka The 416 aka Toronto.

• The first task at the prominent CN Tower is the Edgewalk. This type of “scary” task is a good way to start off the leg with a bang. However, I’m so-so on the 10 minute limit part. It has its positives (forces teams to move along) and its negatives (it’s a bit overcomplicating).

• Moving on to Rogers Centre, teams have to take a photo of a moose statue. After, they learn they must find two more statues. I would have liked to have teams be told to find the 3 statues directly from the Edgewalk clue, because that would give teams the opportunities to find all 3 statues independently and in a different order. In the way you did it, there’s an extra clue in there and teams can only find the other 2 statues in one of 2 ways. What instrument are the teams given to take the photos? Cellphone, camera, otherwise? Anyhow, I like how this task will get teams moving all across Toronto to find the correct locations.

• Teams visit the Hockey HoF, the second sports-related location, and encounter the Detour. Teams will have to either beat the goaltender, or be on the opposite side and try to save the shots. Do teams have to go to the back of the line after a certain amount of tries, or do they get their turn on the machine until they succeed/switch/quit? Hockey and Canada go hand-in-hand, but the Detour tasks were really similar to each other. I would just really need to see these interactive game thingies in action to fully judge this task.

• The Roadblock is okay. Not too impressive, but not a total bore either. I’m not sure how racers would be able to discern cards in the style of Roberts versus those in a different style- more explanation on that would be convenient. Also, are teams given a list of names? Running through the crowds should be hectic.

• The fusion cuisine task isn’t bad, it’s a memory task moreso than a tasting task though. With only a finite amount of previously visited countries, teams can probably make educated guesses quickly. Nonetheless, it’s a fine  transition from the RB to the Pit Stop, and it does give a nod to Toronto’s multicultural diversity.

• Casa Loma serving as the Pit Stop is good. I liked your nighttime-themed pictures for most of the locations of this leg.

• No maps in the design is a disadvantage. At least I know roughly that all the places are in downtown Toronto, but seeing their estimated driving times and distances would give you a step up in your presentation.

• Which liveable city criteria did you choose for one of your tasks? I see some tasks that could adhere to the requirements, but (as far as I can see) you didn’t specify which criteria were applied to which task as mentioned in the round rules.

Do you want the good news or the bad news? I’ll give you the good news first. You keep improving every round in a lot of ways. This design’s tasks were relevant to Toronto and provided ample opportunities for placement changing. Your presentation was also more crisp than it has been in the past. Unfortunately, now I have to give you the bad news. I probably sound like a broken record here, but more task details and maps would do wonders for your scores from me. Look at other designers’ notes sections if you need to. Be meticulous. You’ve made so much progress this DC, and I don’t want these issues to hold you back from maximizing your full potential. I believe in you!

Nuku - Prague

Show content
• The leg gets underway in the shadow of the Alps in Turin. There, teams fly via Paris to Prague. With only a couple of visits so far, Prague surely has some unexplored territory to offer.

• Finding Fred and Ginger is a respectable cryptic clue. It won’t be obvious from the getgo what the names refer to, so teams will probably be thrown off before they realize what they’re actually looking for.

• The Old Town Square ARI has a good possibility of shaking up placements. I think this task will actually be a fairly time-consuming task: they have to figure out where the buildings are, run between them (at least a 2.6 km route), and figure out their architectural styles. There are 256 different ways to guess the 4 different architecture styles for the 4 buildings, and still 24 unique ways even if they know the styles don’t repeat. So, teams will probably have to ask around. Will teams be able to find a local who knows what style of architecture a building belongs to and is able to communicate that in English? If the task takes multiple tries, then it could end up taking almost 2 hours, which is pretty long for an ARI. I think there needs to be a change to either the way teams can detect the correct style or different buildings so that there’s a shorter distance. Running back and forth between the buildings in this configuration could get exhausting quick. Maybe bicycles would be more fair? Lots of potential for team drama in this task but it could definitely be cleaner.

• Detour time: Burn the Witch or Make Some Magic. The former requires teams to first make two figures based on a given model. This kinda reminds me of the Light My Fire detour from TAR 25 Scotland, where teams have to make something correctly and then transport it to then light it on fire. Carrying these 80-pound creatures a mile uphill is strenuous, making this a primarily physical task. The festival and the fires should be lively and fitting for TV!

• On the other side of the coin, Make Some Magic takes place in a castle and incorporates an ancient style of science. I don’t think we’ve seen too much alchemy or chemistry on TAR before, so credit for that. It’s a bit tough to figure out precisely what teams are doing without an exact example. However, I am able to generally follow along with what the objective of the task is, and I like the scientific aspect of the Detour. It is a good contrast to the other Detour option.

• The Roadblock is a performance task that should be fun to watch! It requires a lot of coordination- you could even think of it as dancing with your hands. I only wish there was a video to see this marionetting being performed. It’s appropriate for a Roadblock and it is a good contrast to some of the other dance/performance tasks we’ve seen appear on TAR.

• The Pit Stop is a pretty location to put the finishing touches on the leg.

• A couple presentation notes: The graphics were hard to read sometimes, so increasing the size of the text or making the photos enlargeable could be helpful. Also, the design had a discernible amount of spelling and capitalization items that could be cleared up to make the presentation smoother. You’ve been submitting with plenty of time left before the deadline each round, so don’t be afraid to wait and proofread your design before you finally send it off. :tup:

In summary, this leg had a diverse selection of tasks, spanning from science to theater to art to architecture. I think the leg did cast Prague as a liveable city. All of the task concepts were structurally sound, but a few had some minor detail or logistics problems to them. Still, the leg would be fun to watch on TV. You mentioned that you’ve already exceeded your expectations, so I want to see you leap forward and continue making a deep run in this game!
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm