Author Topic: The Amazing Race Finland 2023  (Read 33119 times)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
Re: The Amazing Race Finland 2023
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2023, 08:57:56 PM »
Very eagerly waiting and hoping!
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline sveped

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2023, 10:00:59 PM »
Please let me know if someone has links for me to watch TAR Suomi.

Offline Jay33

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2023, 10:07:41 PM »
Yeah, this has started now. Does anyone here manage the Amazing Race wiki? There's no page for this yet on there.

Offline asar

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2023, 02:50:33 AM »
Please let me know if someone has links for me to watch TAR Suomi.

If I would be able to get hand on the episodes, I would like to see if I can get some subtitles generated with today's AI from Finnish to English.

Offline finamazing

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2023, 09:50:57 AM »
So, I watched the first episode and it was a positive suprise. However, I think the people were even more stressed and nervous than in the US version.

Beginning was a bit lame, since eventually they all took the same flight and all the scenes at the airport were cut out. Well, tbh the beginnings of an episode are the weakest part, even in the US version. I don't find these scenes interesting, where they head to airport, ESPECIALLY if they all end up taking the same flight and so on.

I didn't like that there were two tasks based on luck (bells & flowers). The detours were okay.

In general, I think they managed to cut and edit it quite well, considering that it was filmed a month ago. The pacing was great etc.

I think I like that they have the "forced" interviews, between tasks. In the US version and other reality shows, I am looking for hints, if the people got voted out/came in last, based on how they speak in the confessionals, and if they for example use weird time tenses.

Marcus Grönholm was my favourite, he is made for reality tv, with unintentional behaviour and comedy relief. I also liked, that there was already some arguing and tense moments, but on the other hand, I loved that everyone helped the other teams.

I'm not sure yet, what I am missing BUT maybe they could have added some more basic views/cuts and cinematography of Bangkok. Now it felt like it could have been happening in any big city.

Oh, and I wish they could rent out the places for the production only, while filming. It was a bit weird, that basicly random tourist from San Francisco did the bell task (a needle in a haystack -type) for one team ...

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2023, 02:11:57 PM »
Does anyone have a link for it

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2023, 05:43:02 PM »

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2023, 09:56:59 PM »
Quite a week for TAR premieres in Bangkok. The TAR Asia influence is also strong with this episode
Show content
and will only continue with subsequent episodes
with many tasks from season 1. It did give the show a bit of a classic feel, especially with the emphasis on money. The crew said that they wanted immediate culture shock by flying them to Bangkok first (I remember that some people doubted me back in sightings when I said that Thailand was the first country), and we got that. The word English was said a lot, and multiple teams ran by clues and clue boxes. Only drawback was that there were three tasks that could be considered needle-in-a-haystack. Did lead to a random tourist finding the paper by accident during the Roadblock.

Offline finamazing

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2023, 02:12:26 PM »
Ratings for the first episode are in, not that good ... If the total view counts don't grow the numbers, this will be the only season.

Ratings so far:
0.375 MIL (channel: Nelonen)

On the other channel, MTV3, Masked Singer Finland had 0.668 MIL views at the same time. The MTV3 has traditonally been leader in the prime time shows. So total views will grow a bit, because they rerun the episode many times + many people watch it online.

However, it had best ratings for the channel last week:
https://www.finnpanel.fi/en/tulokset/tv/vko/top/2023/39/nelonen.html

1. Amazing Race FIN 3. Who wants to be a millionaire? 4. Survivor FIN 6. Traitors FIN 8. Shark tank FIN

I think Survivor FIN had around million views at some point, in the earlier seasons.

Last weeks top-100, all channels, all episodes, includes all news programs:
https://www.finnpanel.fi/en/tulokset/tv/vko/top100/viimeisin/

1. Dancing with the stars FIN. 0.918 MIL
7. Masked Singer FIN. 0.688 MIL
89. Amazing Race FIN 0.375 MIL

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2023, 02:25:32 PM »
It seemed like an odd and bold move to start with a celebrity edition off the bat. Wouldn't it have been better to build interest by giving everyday people a chance first?

If you read any fan board, you get the sense a lot of TAR fans don't particularly care about casting celebrities.

Offline kyleisalive

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2023, 02:29:05 PM »
If you read any fan board, you get the sense a lot of TAR fans don't particularly care about casting celebrities.

Are there a lot of Finnish 'Amazing Race' fan boards?  My guess is that foreign networks aren't making these shows to appeal directly to TAR super-fans, but their own general audience.

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2023, 02:38:14 PM »
Are there a lot of Finnish 'Amazing Race' fan boards?  My guess is that foreign networks aren't making these shows to appeal directly to TAR super-fans, but their own general audience.

There are Finnish fan boards that discuss TV and weren't thrilled about the celebrity casting back when the show was first announced. Plus there was the whole plane carbon controversy. Also to note, the episode was added to Nelonen's streaming service Ruutu on Saturday morning before airing on TV.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 02:53:35 PM by Xoruz »

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2023, 11:31:10 PM »

There are Finnish fan boards that discuss TV and weren't thrilled about the celebrity casting back when the show was first announced. Plus there was the whole plane carbon controversy. Also to note, the episode was added to Nelonen's streaming service Ruutu on Saturday morning before airing on TV.

What was the plane carbon controversy?

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2023, 04:06:24 AM »
What was the plane carbon controversy?

Finland is a very green country and is set to become Europe’s first carbon neutral country by 2035. The politicians on the show have advocated for larger cuts to accelerate this process. People were outraged that politicians who want greenhouse gas cuts went on a show that uses planes.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2023, 09:57:25 AM »
I watched the first episode last night.

Seems like a solid start for the first new franchise in 9 years! It's funny to see Bangkok used as a first leg twice in the same week, but this one gets extra points for fitting more tasks into its 2 hours.

The language barrier wasn't too bad to follow. It was nice how once they got out of Finland, they were speaking English to locals half the time, which makes things easier.

A couple of teams stand out so far - Bakari & Samuel (the rappers), and Marcus & Timo (the rally car drivers). The latter reminded me so much of TAR1 Joe & Bill, right down to the fisherman hats.

Heikki seems like a great host from the start. Knowing he has a ton of experience in Finnish TV, I expected as such.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2023, 08:51:20 PM »
I liked it!

Okay, so I did my best, but this version didn't follow other versions' conventions by having the contestants stand in the same order of their names during the title sequence and team intros (Ie, it said Peter & Anna, but Anna was to the left of Peter), which made identifying who is who more difficult. And now that Wikipedia no longer tracks Roadblock completion (SO dumb...) I have to figure it out... Here's what I deduced, if you see any errors then let me know...

Kaisa looks just little older than Mari - MARI did the Roadblock
Bakari is shorter and Samuel is taller and has less hair - SAMUEL did the Roadblock
Jukka is male, Mirva is female - MIRVA did the Roadblock
Janne has a bigger, fuller beard than Robin - ROBIN did the Roadblock
Peter is male, Anna is female - ANNA did the Roadblock
Anna is female, Atte is male - ANNA did the Roadblock
Aino-Kaisa is blonde and has the thick glasses, Silvia has darker hair - AINO-KAISA did the Roadblock
Marcus is older, Timo is younger - MARCUS did the Roadblock
Lotta is shorter than Noora, and Noora wore green during the RB visit - LOTTA did the Roadblock
Tuukka is younger, Sami is older - TUUKKA did the Roadblock
Ilmari has smooth hair, Aapo has spiky hair - ILMARI did the Roadblock
Katariina is female, Benjamin is male - KATARIINA did the Roadblock
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline finamazing

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2023, 01:28:18 AM »
Marcus is older, Timo is younger - MARCUS did the Roadblock

Oh, imo Marcus looks younger, and he is. Marcus is 55 years old, while Timo is 58.

Marcus is taller, straight-forward and goofy, Timo is friendlier and nicer.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2023, 06:57:08 PM »
Is the next ep out yet?

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2023, 07:03:23 PM »
Is the next ep out yet?

It'll be posted to Ruutu in 20 hours.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 07:26:35 PM by Xoruz »

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2023, 07:04:44 PM »
Nope, Saturday. One episode a week unlike Australia :( :P

Offline finamazing

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2023, 08:37:34 AM »
Second episode - Review:

No time spent on the Bangkok -> Phuket trip. Which was great, however I think they flew there and didn't want to show it ...

Tasks were good, enough drama, good pacing, Marcus&Timo were goofy, Jukka was hot-headed.

My ranking:

Favourites:
1. Janne & Robin 2. Blonde bliathlonists 3. Katariina & Benjamin 4. Bakari & Samuel 5. Marcus & Timo (most entertaining) 6. Tuukka & dad

Mid:
7. Jukka & Mirva (entertainment value) 8. The gays

Wouldn't mind if they lose:
9. Mentor & apprentice 10. Blonde sisters
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 08:44:42 AM by finamazing »

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2023, 06:13:25 PM »
Between the two Thai legs, I preferred the Bangkok one over Phuket. Don't really love that both Detour tasks were luck based though it did lead to Jukka pouring in water to prove that his coconut was red.  :funny: It's funny how we got two second leg episodes this week with near identical leg finishes from the previous leg. Though unlike TAR 35, I never felt like the last place team had much of a chance.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2023, 12:15:39 PM »
Great episode, but man - with the exception of making the rice balls, they lifted these tasks straight out of TAR Asia. Same with the bells last week.  :funny:

Show content
Glad to see the team of politicians out early (well, 2 out of 3). They seem like nice ladies, but that whole green energy controversy proved why public officials don't belong on a show like this while in office. Their involvement casts a dark cloud over it.

At least Big Brother US cast Scaramucci and Omarosa after they were out of their position.

Offline looseseal

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2023, 09:35:11 PM »
TAR or no TAR, those planes are flying.  :duno:

Offline kyleisalive

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2023, 09:05:26 AM »
TAR or no TAR, those planes are flying.  :duno:

The argument, for many, is that lower demand for those flights will cause them to change their frequency.  Contributing to ticket sales justifies their existence and keeps air travel persisting.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but I see why they take it as hypocrisy.