Author Topic: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Final Round Design Show on Page 50!  (Read 91162 times)

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
Yeah I do understand that Morse Code may be a bit of a slow finish, but I thought the idea of teams having to end doing the physical challenge with the flag hoisting on the boats and then the one mile sprint to the finish would create some suspenseful tv; unfortunately I don't know much about TV production  :funny:

Also Gamer was my presentation good? I'll drop the wiki style next time, but I did work hard on my fantasy style presentation so hopefully it payed off.

Everything is "big" imho. I would try to resize your pictures/font.

As Gamer mentioned, resizing is easy. All you do is the below (with the three digit number being changed to something you like:

Code: [Select]
[img width=250]URL of image[/img]

Aha, the embarrassing part is that all my images are resized  :funny:, I'll do a smaller size next time, if there is one  :'(

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
Thank you so much, Pi! I'm proud of my work this time.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
Thank you very much, Pi. It's a 20 question multiple choice quiz for the ARI at the college and they would have to take the same quiz again. A C or higher would be at least 14 out of 20 correct. For the final RB, the performer would get 1 warm-up lap, much like a typical NASCAR Cup Series qualifying session and for the first RB - yes, there would be an ongoing demonstration.
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

-Theme song from 'Full House' (1987-1995)

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
I also had another task in mind that would've replaced the cotton gin task. Would've taken place in Tuskegee and paid tribute to the Tuskegee Airmen of World War II. The task would've entailed performing aerial acrobatic acts around a preset course, then landing the plane safely on a designated runway. Decided against using it because I already had one adrenaline/adventure based task and wasn't sure if 2 adrenaline RBs would fly.
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Also great job everyone on their legs <3 I think over half of them are fantastic and really exciting!

And LOL at me and Bookworm being in sync. From both of us having farming teams in NRH's game, and now starting our legs in Africa and including a Detour <3

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Also thank you to the hosts and judges at getting feedback right away! There's a lot to read and write, and could take some time, so thanks for being speedy!

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • BIG MISTAKE
Also great job everyone on their legs <3 I think over half of them are fantastic and really exciting!

And LOL at me and Bookworm being in sync. From both of us having farming teams in NRH's game, and now starting our legs in Africa and including a Detour <3
Same score on NRH's Detour, too :lol:
I thought your leg was great!

My congratulations go to everyone, though, not just Jimmer- rural legs are hard and finales are harder! I've been wanting to design a leg in the Burlington area for a while, but I needed DC to reframe my perspective and push me towards actualization.
Here's to keep being pushed!  :jam:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Online Pi

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Full Member

Totumo - Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Show content
• This leg kicks off with teams flying to Massachusetts, which hasn’t been visited since TAR 17. I would recommend adding a Pit Start to your design, as it helps make it more complete. Not the end of the world if you don’t, but doing so nets you a few more points.

• Teams then drive to the Canal Bridge in Bourne and are faced with a Roadblock. This task seems like it has a fairly high degree of difficulty, but I’m more concerned about the setup of the task. There’s definitely only one bridge, so only one team can do the task at a time; being the first task of the leg, it rewards teams who get out of the airport first. Moreover, you didn’t specify what procedure is used when a racer doesn’t get it right- do they have to go to the back of the line, or do they keep trying until they succeed and then vacate the control room for the next team? I’d prefer the former to be true. The idea of the task isn’t bad, but the placement of the task is flawed.

• Teams get a quick cryptic clue before moving from the Kennedy Complex to the Truro Vineyards. This cranberry-picking task is appropriate for the area you chose, because Massachusetts is one of the top states in cranberry production. Reminds me of the Ocean Spray commercial I saw while watching Tough as Nails :funny: This task forces teams to get down and dirty, while still thinking straight. Good task!

• The next location is a bar, where teams have to turn around and make cocktails with their cranberries. This is a local cocktail being made at a unique Cape landmark, so this task scores highly in cultural relevance. To help clarify the task better, I would have liked either a procedure for making the cocktails or an estimate for how long it would take teams to make the drinks. I like how going back for more cranberries only takes 24 minutes, but not if making the cocktails at the bar takes only 5 minutes.

• Teams spot Race Point Beach from Pilgrim Beach, giving us the Final Memory Roadblock. Racers doing this task have to have a decent memory and lots of geographical awareness. How many wrong pieces of driftwood are there in comparison to right ones? Do the wrong ones have different cities, or incorrect distances? Do all teams search the entire beach, or is it divided into three sections? This task seems appropriate for a final challenge, but make sure to include some more details.

• Flights, maps, and leg money are present in the design, which is good!

There were a lot of positives about your debut leg, including your choice of location and interesting tasks. There are a few things that detract from this design, including some missing details regarding the tasks, no estimates for how long you think the tasks will take, and the fact that the leg could be determined by the first team to get out of the airport. I can tell you have a lot of enthusiasm for Design Challenge, so keep it up & I hope to see you do even better next round!

Stone - Black Hills, South Dakota

Show content
• Your final leg starts in the Netherlands, where teams rip the clue telling them to fly to western South Dakota. This is a beautiful region with plenty to do and a decent-sized airport, so I think it’s a dark-horse contender to actually host a leg on TAR (still a longshot, I know).

• The first location is a gold mine-turned-laboratory, where teams get the first Roadblock. Assembling a hoist model is something that will force the racer to slow down and use their brain, so I like it as an opening task for a final leg. Is there a video of one of these models being assembled, or a list of materials and steps? Without those, it’s hard to gauge the difficulty of this task. Your notes say that students create these on trips, so I’m assuming it’s not too hard, but I can’t quite guess how long this task would take the average racer without more info.

• Heading off to Custer SP, teams find the second of two Roadblocks. Climbing and rappelling will provide the adventurous task for the leg, and helps to showcase the natural beauty of the Black Hills. From the way you described the task, I can’t tell whether multiple teams can do the task at the same time. If there’s only one path, that would result in downtime for racers waiting to go.

• The final task of the race, on the doorstep of the Finish Line, requires teams to assemble a tipi. While this was also a task done by WRP last time they visited this region (“Native Tradition” detour on TAR 8 Leg 10B), I do like how you notated this task specifically to the Oglala Lakota. Assembly/attention to detail tasks right before the finale work well when they’re sufficiently difficult and all teams are there fighting to be the first one to finish (see TAR 31 and the drums). I think this task is challenging enough to make for a dramatic final task, with that exciting moment where one team finally gets all the details right and receives their last clue. Planting the Oglala Lakota flag from the last task is also a nice touch. I like how this task is a two-person task instead of being a Roadblock.

• Maps, flights, leg money? Check, check, and check.

• The leg has 3 tasks and no memory task, but it’s not bad when there’s about 4 hours of self-driving, which should be formidable enough. Navigating through the Black Hills would be a source of drama to help make the leg more well-rounded.

Your choice of South Dakota was perfect for this rural round, and your leg finely presented this region from multiple angles. I’m completely fine with your choice to skip Rushmore and Crazy Horse in favor of the other locations. The tasks are solid, but perhaps a bigger takeaway is that this leg represents the culture of American Indians in a positive light. That’s something I would absolutely love to see on a TAR finale leg. Your presentation was good; just a few more details would’ve vaulted this into the topmost tier of designs. Nonetheless, great job on this leg and I am eager to see what is in store for the future! :)

Nuku - Outer Banks, North Carolina

Show content
• The final three start in our neighbor to the south and must fly to Charlotte, North Carolina. I’m excited to see a TAR design in North Carolina, which is the second most populous American state to have never been visited by the show.

• Try using a flight search engine to find a real-world flight (can be on any date) from Guadalajara to Charlotte. Adding a flight helps make your design more realistic and gives us an idea of what time of day teams are supposed to arrive. I’m also OK with using a charter to get teams to the Outer Banks, but please specify details such as how long you estimate the flight to take.

• Teams must self-drive to the Sea Turtle Rehab Center and monitor some sea turtles. I would enjoy seeing the interactions between the racers and the cute newborn sea turtles. What type of information do teams have to collect on their sheet? Knowing that would help me determine whether this task is breezy or difficult.

• Jockey’s Ridge SP is the venue for the first Roadblock, a hang-gliding task. It’s an “extreme”-type task to keep the viewers engaged, but it’s made better by teams having to put together the puzzle at the end. Going from adrenaline rush to analytical thinking is a sharp transition. How many pieces is the puzzle? What type of puzzle is it (jigsaw, slide, etc.)? Try to add in these types of details in the future.

• Teams are then instructed to head off to a fishing center, where they must receive a clue from a crab fisherman. Sorry to nitpick, but I think it’s unnecessary to include a location where teams just get a clue and then head off when there’s already a lot of other places visited this leg. If this was a task on an actual final leg in a 60-minute TAR episode, this would probably go unaired.

• The second Roadblock requires one team member to search fifty clueboxes for past clues via jet ski. I kinda like “search a field of clueboxes” tasks, but differentiating between which clues have been seen in the last three weeks vs. clues from entirely different seasons of the race doesn’t seem overly difficult. So while it’s the main memory task of the leg, it might come down to jet ski operation skills more than Race acumen. Not a bad task, but I just wish the memory aspect was a bit tougher. Requiring the clues to be of certain types does add an interesting layer, though.

• The shipwreck locating task will test teams’ map and compass knowledge, so I like its inclusion here.

• On the National Seashore, teams drive dune buggies to the last task of the leg. Teams have to put medallions, representing previous tasks, in order for each leg. Seems a tad redundant after the last memory task. Anyway, after that it becomes a footrace to the Finish Line.

• I recommend adding screenshots from Google Maps or similar to help us visualize the locations of and distances between the places you chose to visit. Also, without knowing for sure how long these tasks would take the racers, I have no idea how long this leg would take racers to complete.

• Leg money is also missing from the design.

• I encourage you to experiment with Bulletin Board Code so that you can use it for at least part of your design. With Docs screenshots, we can’t click on your pictures to expand them or copy and paste text you wrote into Google. Working with the Fantasy Game style could boost your score, so don’t be afraid to try it out more.

Overall, this leg introduces us to the Outer Banks, a rural area in the American South. Your locations were solid and would be apropos for TV. This leg was filled with suitable tasks, but stepping up the amount of details here is key. Try to think of any questions that might arise when someone else looks at your design, then answer them somewhere in your presentation. Keep looking through past designs to get an idea of how to pull off a great presentation. I hope to see you improve every round!

Nrh2110 - Northern New Jersey

Show content
• Teams embark on the final leg, flying from Spain to New Jersey. I'm pretty surprised to see New Jersey used when the theme of the round is rural, considering NJ is the most densely populated state in the union. However, it's not nicknamed the Garden State for nothing, so I know it's got some smaller towns and natural areas to tap into. It's also basically unvisited by TAR, with only half a task back in TAR 8.

• Teams are given a $10 bill, leading to the Dueling Grounds. Not quite sure a $10 bill is enough info for teams to be able to know for sure where they're going, as there are lots of places in NJ connected to Alexander Hamilton. I like the homage to the duel, but I think more information would be needed to "pin" the clue down to the Weehawken Dueling Grounds, unless this task was intentionally meant to be difficult and semi-random.

• Next up is a deli, giving a culinary task for the leg. Making bagels isn't too tough, but does require some perfectionism. Do teams have to start from scratch, or are things pre-made? Do they have to follow a recipe or a demonstration, or are they on their own? I hope the manager is strict, forcing teams to make near-perfect bagels so the task isn't linear.

• Thomas Edison NHP is the location of the next cluebox. Electrics and circuitry is something that hasn't been explored much on TAR, so nice addition here. Any racer doing this Roadblock will have to keep cool and not get frustrated in this task, which I like for a final leg task.

• The leg's next task is at a classic New Jersey boardwalk; teams have to pop balloons with darts. With $1,000,000 on the line, I know my hand would be shaking, so I hope there's safety protocols on this task :P This task should be child's play if teams have unlimited darts, but you never know, carnival games are infamous for being rigged to be difficult.

• The final memory Roadblock requires teams to scour a beach for umbrellas with previous Detour names. I like how teams have to think about the Detour choice they didn't opt for, as some teams pick one detour and forget all about the other one. Do the umbrellas have to be in any order as long as it's the right leg, or do they have to be in the exact order of their appearance on the clues? That detail would affect how long this task would take.

• Flight info and leg money are marked in the design, which is good! I would have liked seeing a map to understand all the locations. Giving an estimate of time for the tasks or when you expect teams to cross the Finish Line would help with the design, too.

To recap things: I don't doubt that your tasks are culturally relevant to New Jersey (bagels, boardwalks, beaches, and bulbs- the four B's? :lol:). My only worry is that this leg didn't exactly feel it hit the round's theme squarely. All of your towns fall under 50,000, but they seem to be in populated areas. Weehawken is a bridge away from Manhattan, New York City; West Orange is in Essex County, which has 800,000 people in 130 sq mi (336 sq km)- doesn't exactly scream rural to me. All of that aside, would be a pretty good final leg to see on TV; the tasks and self-navigating combined are ripe for plenty of drama. Anyone who survives New Jersey drivers and performs all of these tasks probably deserves $1,000,000, anyway. I eagerly await seeing what you'll bring for the rest of DC8!
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline Nuku

• RFF Jr. Member
Thank you so much Pi!!! I really appreciate it and yeah next round i gurantee the judges will see
money
maps
flights
pictures
and lotsssss of detail!!!

This first round was so much fun and hopefully ill get to explore this game a little more!

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
Also to Pi, I had never done a finale leg in a DC, so I had a feeling that it may be bad. I tried my best and I started with a civil rights theme with my ARIs, then I went into a theme that celebrated the distant past, looked at our progress in achieving racial equality and how far we still have to go and a look ahead at advancing technology as we race into the unknown, uncertain future. I wanted it to be not just a poignant finale leg, but also a reflective leg with a message for all of us. That message would be to learn from and celebrate our past, learn from the mistakes of our past so that we can all do better in the future.

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
Redwings, that baloon memory task is insane! I can't help but wonder what it would look like on TV.

Thanks!

Offline betheactress

• RFF Not So Newbie
Spoiler tags don’t work for me :/

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
How long is the wait between rounds normally?, could do with a day or 2 off (well if I get through) :lol:

Offline Nuku

• RFF Jr. Member
How long is the wait between rounds normally?, could do with a day or 2 off (well if I get through) :lol:

i've been ready since the deadline LOL!! cmon hit us with it!

EDIT: This is fully a jokingly matter ahah the judges are doing great and im just here with the flow! cant wait for the next round!!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 07:54:08 PM by Nuku »

Online Pi

• RFF Full Member
Round 2 will start after all four judges are finished scoring and commenting on all the legs, which will take a few days.
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Be patient everyone! Trying to adequately read 18 designs and all the notes, providing constructive feedback to everyone, scoring everyone, and then compiling results take time <3 Plus I'm sure some of us can use a little break. Thanks judges for taking your time and providing valuable input!

Offline totumo

• RFF Newbie
Hello Pi/ thank you for your comments. This does not make sense though

This task seems like it has a fairly high degree of difficulty, but I’m more concerned about the setup of the task. There’s definitely only one bridge, so only one team can do the task at a time; being the first task of the leg, it rewards teams who get out of the airport first. Moreover, you didn’t specify what procedure is used when a racer doesn’t get it right- do they have to go to the back of the line, or do they keep trying until they succeed and then vacate the control room for the next team? I’d prefer the former to be true. The idea of the task isn’t bad, but the placement of the task is flawed.

If the task is of high difficulty, then why are you talking about one team arriving first and finishing first. Being not so easy would obviously take my teams a few attempts to complete. The airport is also an hour away from this challenge if you read my map correctly. The first team out of the airport may not take the fastest direct route to the bridge.

If the placement of the task is flawed where else in the leg would I put this to make it better? It is the first task of the leg to give others a chance to catch up. I am confused where it would be better placed if you think it is too linear. At the finish line? Your comment makes no sense.

I will put more comments in my design next round but I think you are being quite harsh. I cannot forsee all your 100 questions for this. Thank you :')

Offline ovalorange

• RFF Frantic Poster
Good to see some big improvements for those of you who played previously  :2hearts: (looking at you Declive)!! Some really great designs in this bunch

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
Thank you Oval! I've figured the 329th time is the charm.  :funny:

Offline betheactress

• RFF Not So Newbie
I don't really feel up to responding to comments I just want to say I don't see the similarity to tar18 at all  :'( #notallkeysarethesame

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
Well, I thought my leg was pretty good, until I crashed and burned once I read Gamer's comments!  :lol: :funny:

It's been fun! Designing in a rural area is pretty hard, so I'm pretty happy with my work! :)

Thank you for your comments Gamer, it's certainly something to work on for Design Challenge 9!  :funny: :lol:

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
I just want to point out that there has been a bit of a judging discrepancy in the judges' comments from what I've seen, particularly between the judging of established users and new ones. It seems that in the comments provided so far, established users are able to skate by when new users are not. I'm writing this particularly concerning totumo's leg, who got a lukewarm reception and were given critiques such as "not providing estimates for how long you think the task should be", and betheactress' leg, which was critiqued as "not providing enough details", and regarding a search Roadblock in which a team needs to search through a specific area to find specific objects, were posed questions like "How big of an area are teams searching in?" and "Are they given a map or told the boundaries of the area?". This is compared to the reception of (sorry to pick on you) Declive's leg, which did not get these criticisms despite not providing estimates of how long each task will take, and having a similar search Roadblock which again did not have a map or provide details of a boundary. It's disheartening to see these critiques applied selectively to new users, as it discourages them from continuing to participate in the future of RFF.

I think it's important to remember that longevity of time spent on RFF does not equate to a good design, and that judges should not let their personal relationships or unconscious biases that they may have after spending time on RFF together get in the way of their judging.

Online Pi

• RFF Full Member
Air, thanks for bringing this up. For me personally, details are very important to understand the leg from the perspective of a judge. Different judges may have different criteria for how they view a leg; for some, envisioning how the leg would appear on TV is most important, or maybe potential for drama is key to another. This is why we have 4 different judges and 4 different viewpoints and 4 different scores to average together when all is said and done.

The goal of this round in particular is for the designers to improve, so I always try to ask questions or find places where they could add more explanation whether it's a design I would give a 49 or a 4.9.

Try to think of any questions that might arise when someone else looks at your design, then answer them somewhere in your presentation.

My comments are attempting to encourage designers to think of their design from every angle and include ample details. Just because I ask one designer a lot of questions doesn't mean they will necessarily get a low score. My scoring criteria is based on 10 different categories, and I of course make every attempt to be as objective as possible when scoring. Specifically in regards to comments on Declive's leg, that was the first set of comments I wrote as he was the first to submit his leg, so they may not include questions from vantage points I had gained after reading other designs. In regards to betheactress' leg, I thought there could have been a couple more details in a few small areas. They ended up scoring highly in details overall, and omitting a small detail here and there isn't something that I thought dragged down the presentation significantly or anything.

I can't give away too much here, but for the designs I have scored so far, there's less than a 2 point difference between average scores of vets and average scores of newbies. None of the comments are meant to come across as harsh, they're all about constructive criticism and growth. I hope this clears things up, and feel free to raise more concerns if you have them! :)

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
I'm fine with the comment, Air.
I want fairness in the game as well.

I also think all criteria must apply to everyone as well.
If you criticized someone because they forgot X, make sure to criticize everyone else who forgot X as well.

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
ZBC Company's leg just edited in here. :tup:
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*