Author Topic: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Final Round Design Show on Page 50!  (Read 91103 times)

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
Thanks for the comments, Gamer.
I've just went on the same logic as the TAR24 & TAR31 finale tasks. If you finished first you win  :funny:
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Gamer's Judgments:

And time for the newbies! Good luck with your debuts :)

NELs - [Waskish, Minnesota]

Show content
I will give you the same comments as I did with Nuku. Kindly fix your presentation next round if you’re still here. Your presentation was better than theirs since its only in the “Wikipedia style”, but I have a bigger overall problem with your presentation since there’s really not enough details to go off on.

Alas, we must trudge on. This is a short style, so my comments won’t be very long.

I love the folklore theme you have going on! Really like the Viking longboats, and your Grasshopper King task is hilarious in a good way. I just wish I had pictures or videos to really see how it looks like since without proper photos, I’m just imagining teams in a big costume of the grasshopper from A Bug’s Life. Still, good task in concept.

The first RB is a good task, and would honestly feel at home with the TAR8 finale. My main problem is that without proper details on task restrictions, I’m just assuming this RB is a piece of cake since team members can just ask any local to Google it and voila, the answer is already there. A lack of detail really hurt this task for me, and made it a very very easy task.

However, what I can’t really be lenient on is your final Roadblock since the same exact issue is there. There’s no way you couldn’t have just merged these two tasks together since they are so fundamentally similar to the point that it doesn’t feel like much of a challenge for both team members. We then head to a Bunyan statue before the Finish Line.

As a whole, your leg had me, then it immediately lost me. Even with the presentation issues, I genuinely liked your leg’s first half. But right after that it just fell apart with the two similar Roadblocks and then fizzled out.

Your leg has too little details, a presentation that really has a lot of open-ended holes in it, and the ending just feels so so rushed. You could have had a proper memory task instead of just two basic US Geography RBs back and forth.

As it stands, I loved your first half of the leg. But presentation issues, a sudden lack of originality and uniqueness in its second half, and a lacking set of details really just hurt it for me.

Here’s hoping you get that fixed if you make it to the second round.

Nuku - [Buxton, North Carolina]

Show content
First off, your presentation. Holy Microsoft Word. I would definitely appreciate you just doing a post format like all your other designers if you make it to the next round. Your presentation, which isn’t even full screen, is already hurting my eyes. I can’t align the text right on my screen, and opening it in full screen doesn’t exactly help either.

But let’s begin, excited to see another new face in this competition.

We fly and then drive to a Sea Turtle conservatory. The 5 newborn Sea Turtles have the potential to be a cute task, but in the words of Michael Scott…

“WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?????”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TuYag60_-8

If you are going to do a task about baby turtles, I expect to see a photo of said baby turtles, not just a random photo of the conservatory. Also your information… what is it? What info do teams have to collect? We need the details. It simply cannot be open-ended like that as a task description.

We then go to a park. Roadblock with Hang Gliding. I would have definitely appreciated this task if it was the first thing in your leg. The adventure task can’t be in the middle of finales since there was already a foundation where teams could have passed each other before. By dumping it in the middle, there’s less room for teams to catch up, since it basically becomes first-come first-served. But it’s a passable adventure task.

Route Info then go to your final Roadblock. I actually do like your final Roadblock. Like what betheactress did, it’s a twist on the clueboxes in a field final task from TAR13, but in the water. However, like what MikeDodgers did, you failed to look over one specific detail about your task - the decoys from other seasons will not work at all since I don’t expect teams to be that forgetful. There’s no way the decoys will fool anyone since they have spent the past 30 something days doing the Race. I would have preferred if you made the decoys clues with differently-worded Roadblock questions, for instance. Or slightly altered task descriptions. That could have actually messed with the teams and be a true test of their memory comprehension. As is it’s fine, but this final memory task could have been something truly special, but it didn’t get there.

We then have… another Route Info and then a final Active Route Info where you need to find 12 shipwrecks. Look, this task isn’t bad. But I think 12 is just too much and too time-consuming. And it doesn’t really feel all that epic either since your big memory task already happened. Maybe if this was the first task of the leg it would flow more, but as is, it just feels like unnecessary bloat to your finale, like you felt it was too short so you wanted to add something else after the Final Memory Task. I would have been open to this task if it was just 3 shipwrecks or less. You really just went for the overkill with 12.

We then open a chest and go to a beach with yet another Memory task. Again, we already had your big memory task. This is just unnecessary. And with 20 pieces and two team members working together, there’s not much in terms of difficulty with this task.

Then we run to the lighthouse to end the leg.

As a whole, I am solidly mixed by your leg, with slightly more positives than bad.

The bad though. First off, your presentation. If you make it to the next round, I expect a better presentation. Show us better images that actually show what teams will be doing. Don’t just describe. Show and tell. Secondly, your leg is just too long and lopsided in difficulty. If you made the shipwreck-beach memory task the first thing teams did in the leg, then transitioned that into the hang glide, then did the turtles, then did the final Roadblock, I’d have given you a decent enough score.

You are also severely missing in details. How much money do teams get? What’s the flight? How long do you expect this to run? What more do you want us to know about the leg? It’s all missing.

But the good about your leg is that the tasks aren’t bad and they would actually work well if, again, arranged in a specific order. Your location also isn’t too bad, and it works as a solid island finale. It really just gets faulted by a poor presentation, lack of details, and plenty of unnecessary elements.

You still definitely had a better debut compared to some other designers though, so I sincerely hope you pick it up next round if you’re still here. Best of luck.

Grade:

Show content
D+

BourkieBoy - [Superior National Forest, Minnesota]

Show content
Right off the gate, your leg lost me. I hate teams getting staggered in finales, and that’s the first thing you did. Splitting the Final 3 on flights makes no sense whatsoever, no matter what the context is.

Teams then drive to a campground and then… set up camp. It’s not a very exciting task, if I had to be frank. I also think this would have been a perfect opportunity to make the Final 3 set up a faux Pit Start and then spend one last night before the final push to the end, but you didn’t go there.

Teams then have the first Roadblock, which is waterskiing and there is just something in your task description that I never ever EVER want to see. I don’t know how this went overlooked by you designing this leg, since it’s just horrific.

If team members do anything unsafe, which could present a possible danger to themselves or everyone else in the water, the challenge will immediately be stopped and the team will need to serve a 4-hour penalty at the Finish Line!

-4 Hour penalty on the FINALE? No.
-“If teams do anything unsafe” No. That is what instructors are for.
-“Possible danger to everyone else in the water, the challenge will be stopped” And a big HELL NO. One team’s error immediately dooms them but lets the other two go scot-free?

I really just don’t understand the logic behind this Roadblock and this finale thus far.

Then teams go up Eagle Mountain to pick up photos along the way with pictures of Pit Stops. This is for the final task, and I get the idea behind making them take a literal hike to the end.

But you fail to consider that teams could instantly discuss the photos as they go up. There’s no room for thinking, since you didn’t make it a rule to not be allowed to discuss the pictures.

This means that the SECOND the team gets up the mountain, your Final Roadblock is null. It is void. It is a useless task since teams would have been able to discuss the answers well before the task even begins.

And then teams drive themselves to the Finish Line. Good grief.

Bourkie, I will be very straight with you here. This was an awful attempt. Nothing worked for me. The task logic is not exciting. Water-skiing is not an exciting task, setting up a camp is not exciting, and a memory task that can be predicted and finished before it even begins is a cardinal sin that cannot simply be ignored.

You also say that you have notes and that we should PM you. No. A good submission has all the notes right off the gate.

In conclusion, this entire leg was a disaster. It’s something that annoyed me while reading it, it’s something that confused me while reading it, and the more I imagine it, the more this feels like a TAR Roblox leg rather than an actual leg to be used on the show.

If you survive this round, I sincerely hope you submit anything. Because anything certainly can’t be worse than this.

Grade:

Show content
F
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 10:27:58 AM by gamerfan09 »

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Gamer's Judgments:

Stone - [Black Hills, South Dakota]

Show content
Another debut! Let’s see how this goes.

We open with a visit to Deadwood and a Roadblock about assembling a hoist. Honestly… I’m not too sure about this task. It’s not that it’s awful or anything, but it’s just very uninspiring. I’m not sure your intent of making a “bait and switch” was really elaborated with this task since at the end of the day it’s still a task in a mine.

We then have your second Roadblock which is a climbing route. I googled the location, and it’s not bad, could seriously lend itself well to TV, but as the second Roadblock, it’s just not very good. It’s a climbing route, which means that most likely the order that teams get there will be the order they leave in. This should have really just been a Route Info.

Then we drive to assemble a Tipi. It’s a solid task, but it really doesn’t feel as epic as it can be since this is meant to be your final task. If we had to bring out specifics, this isn’t a new task either - TAR8 already did this. It’s a good task, and it definitely can be good TV (I can’t get the commercial break of the Godlewskis melting down over it out of my brain, what an underrated season), but it’s not very original.

We then head to the Finish Line, which is probably the best part of your leg.

As a debut, I would probably appreciate this more if it was a trip itinerary. Unfortunately, it’s meant to be a TAR finale, and on that aspect, I wasn’t a fan of this leg. I thought the lab was boring, I thought the climb was linear, and I thought your final task lacked originality.

Points, however, have to be given to your locations, since looking them up minus the lab gave admittedly pretty sights. Your presentation was also neat and tidy enough. But still, the core elements of a leg is tasks, location, and cohesiveness, and this leg was missing two of them.

If you make it to the next round, best of luck. You can certainly submit something better.

Grade:

Show content
D

Lemontail - [Mackinac Island, Michigan]

Show content
First off, I really like your overnight rest for a basic reason - it’s a good way to make sure everyone’s on the right path and the ferry gives a chance for some good travel shots of your final city.

Your Roadblock is good…. in theory. I do like the idea of having to move boats around, but my main issue with this task is that it would be grueling and also hard to control. I understand the logic and reasoning behind the task, and I do like it, but it doesn’t seem all that feasible when I imagine it in motion.

Teams then go and make fudge, and I like this task! It’s a good assembly and navigation task, and I definitely appreciated your notes citing the architecture of the town. Good, mid-leg task that would certainly shuffle up placements.

We then have a horse carriage disassembly task, and while I think this task is passable and fine, I do think that it’s a bit odd having another “teams make x” task immediately right after the fudge. I also am a bit confused why teams wouldn’t just take the horses to their next clue after that? You had a very good theme there going with teams consistently changing their mode of transport in this leg, and then that just gets abandoned when they stick to bicycles.

We then get your Final Roadblock, and I have to say that I’m a bit confused with the task description. I also think that it’s kind of weird to have this Roadblock be harder than the first memory Roadblock. The boats are good because it’s physically demanding, riding a bike around an area and just spotting flags is less so. I also really really do not like the idea of having penalties on a finale. That’s really just a no-no for cases like this.

Teams then bike to the Finish Line to end this fictitious season of the Race.

Overall, I honestly think this is a finale that had potential. I do like your tasks in theory, and I definitely liked your presentation. You had good pictures, and I could definitely imagine a relatively beautiful finale if this was a real leg. Unfortunately, I thought that your two memory tasks had issues. The first one seemed unfeasible, while the last one felt like it should have been the first one. I also really didn’t like the sudden shift to bicycles when teams were swapping modes of transport back and forth for the first half.

Honestly, had this been a regular leg without the memory challenges, and your Roadblocks were something else, this would have been a great domestic leg. But when the dust has settled, I can still say this is a good effort from you. If you just swapped your memory challenges and made teams take the horse to the final RB, I’d have thought it was better.

Good luck :)

Grade:

Show content
B-

betheactress - [Key West, Florida]

Show content
You’re a new name here that I haven’t seen before, so this is a bit of a Mystery Box lol. But welcome! Let’s begin reading this.

First off, I absolutely love your presentation. The graphics are bright, the presentation is crisp, and it’s perfectly aligned.

Teams then fly to Key West, and the first task is cigar rolling. I liked this task! It’s a good attention-to-detail task to kick off the leg, and it’s something that has good history, culture-wise.

Teams then have a cryptic clue to a gift shop, get to a coral reef center, and then assemble corals. I have to compliment you for making a social impact challenge, but my main issue with the corals is that it’s just something that I feel is very telegenic. The water shots are beautiful, yes, but we had coral assembly on TAR19, and it wasn’t exactly the most exciting task. Admittedly, that is a weird thing to criticize since that leg was in Thailand and this is meant to be a finale, but it’s just something that stuck out to me reading this. Good enough task, but not too sure if it’s fitting.

Teams then navigate to the Alligator Key Lighthouse (which I love - this could have honestly been your water task over the corals, but again, appreciate the social impact) and then pick up their clue from an underwater chest. Good, simple, and short transport to get some good water shots in.

Teams then get to the final Roadblock, and I actually really really like this one. It’s a great twist of the 100 clueboxes in a field task, since it’s obviously harder to navigate on water. And I also love the idea that there are decoy clue boxes. To bring back my earlier comment - imagine this task on TAR19 considering how there were barely any proper clueboxes that season. It would have been gold.

Teams then race to the Finish Line, and your location is a good one.

Overall, this is a very very strong Finale and a great debut from a newbie, I’m impressed! My only minor hiccup is your coral task, since I’m not too sure about how telegenic that would be, but everything else just flowed really well, your presentation was on-point, your notes were very detailed and concise, and I really just don’t have many drawbacks to bring up.

Great debut Design Challenge leg, and hope there’s more to come in the future :)

Grade:

Show content
A-

Offline Nuku

• RFF Jr. Member
Wow was not expecting this positive feedback! Since i submitted i definitely have regretted my lack of detail and presentation so next round if im there i promise it will be better!!

Also yeah my order of tasks is a little off but the hardest thing about the outer banks is the islands are in a straight line so i didnt want to go allll over back and forth from different villages so that was the order they just had to come in but i will definitely take it into consideration next round!!

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Gamer's Judgments:

BritishTARFan - [Cape Cod, Massachusetts]

Show content
Let’s see how you do.

First off, your presentation is already improved, but I think your Wikipedia style is unnecessary. The FG style suffices.

We then race to an Ocean institution and have a Roadblock to match fish with their Latin name. Classroom tasks aren’t very exciting, and I’m not too sure how this works as your first task in this finale. We then get to your second Roadblock, and I do like this task.

The lobster rolls is a fine delivery task, and I like how racers need to unscramble a long name. We then take a helicopter, with some sights there, and then stretch taffy. I do think it’s a bit amusing that you went from fish, to seafood, to candy, got a little food theme there going.

Then we have a final Morse Code task. While I get that this is supposed to be hard, and I do respect the idea of having a really hard final Memory task, watching teams listen to morse code is just not very exciting TV. TAR16 may have thought it was enough to get them an Emmy, but I think it’s just really boring. Props for a hard final task especially for teams who don’t know Morse Code, but it just isn’t very telegenic for me.

We then end by racing to the Finish Line at the beach.

Overall, I really just have issues with your first and final task. They’re not very exciting to watch, no matter how hard they can be, and it’s not that fitting of a finale either if you removed the memory portion from your final task. The middle stretch with the food and the helicopters was good, but when you start rough and end rough, it’s just hard to be positive about the overall product.

Still, if you avoid being first out, best of luck and try your best next round :)

Grade:

Show content
D+

nrh2110 - [Manalapan, New Jersey]

Show content
Hello. I haven’t played your games, but I noticed you are an RFF game host. As a former host myself, I’m interested to see how this goes. Let’s dig into your finale.

We fly to a Hamilton shoutout, then go make bagels. It’s a good short cooking task to kick off the finale, for sure. I’d complain about bagels already being *in* a TAR finale, but that was on TARCAN4 and no one cares about TARCAN and that’s not a fair assessment so I’ll drop that complaint.

We then drive to Thomas Edison Park and have a Roadblock where teams literally make light happen. It’s alright, I guess. I like the historical figures theme you have going on so far, but I just don’t think this warranted being your first Roadblock. It honestly could have been the bagels with this task cut.

We then go and play balloon darts, and now I’m definitely sure you should have just cut Edison or even the Hamilton clue. The historical figures don’t really fit when your major tasks are related to “fun activities” in the area.

We get to your final Roadblock, and I do like this one. Detour names is something that hasn’t really been factored in final tasks. Sure, there could be Detour *options* and pictures, but never really the names. This feels like what happens when you make the TAR19 SLT (which is one of the better ones in terms of excitement personally lol) be a Final challenge, and I really just like the idea and the concept behind your final Roadblock. It’s a great task.

We then head to the Finish Line to end your finale. But where are your notes? I’d certainly have wanted to know more about your motivations and intent over the decisions that went into making this leg.

As a whole… I can say I did enjoy your leg with a few reservations. As I mentioned, I really think you should have just cut the historical figures element of the finale. The Edison task was just not very exciting, and while I get the Burr Hamilton shoutout, you could have just leaned more into the fun side of your chosen city by making the cryptic clue be a Hamilton performance or something. The rest is fine, with the bagel task and the memory challenge being good standouts.

I do wish though, that next round, you see what designs do great this round, and make sure to keep your additional notes in check. I always want to know more than what’s on the surface, and forgetting that is an oversight I won’t be as forgiving towards the next time.

Still, this is one of the better debuts. Good job and hope you do better in the next round :)

Grade:

Show content
C+

totumo - [Cape Cod, Massachusetts]

Show content
Last leg to judge! Let’s get this show on the road.

We get teams to drive to a bridge, then have a first Roadblock. I actually really like this task, but I will unfortunately have to note one big missed notice - there’s only 1 bridge for all 3 teams? I think that’s a pretty big oversight that hurts the feasibility. Don’t get me wrong, I really really like this task, but that oversight was disappointing to see.

After, teams make their way to a vineyard, collect and harvest cranberries, then go to a bar to make drinks. I really really like this task! It’s a short and simple task that has a physical, navigational, and a good crux of decision making. Will teams think they have enough and risk going there earlier or take longer but make sure they have enough berries? Every decision in this task counts and I just love that.

Teams then have a quick Route Info directing them to the final Roadblock. I have to say, one of my favorite episodes of TAR of all time is the Rob & Amber boot episode on TAR11. The signpost reminds me a LOT of that but with a memory twist and a directional twist. I love this. It’s more than just searching, it’s cross-referencing and trying to assume distances, and when all’s said and done, I just think this task’s “final answer” would look very satisfying, very sleek, and maybe even something to leave on the beach as a commemorative element.

Teams then race to the lighthouse to end this fictional season.

I gotta say, I am very VERY impressed by this leg. This is an impressive debut, and honestly, had it not been for the bridge oversight, I would have given you a perfect score right here right now. The presentation is sleek, the tasks are great, the locations are pretty, and all-in-all, it’s just a final leg that is everything I want it to be. It’s short, it’s sweet, and it’s solid.

Great job, and hopefully you can keep this momentum up in the future rounds.

Grade:

Show content
A-
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:15:02 AM by gamerfan09 »

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Nuku please fix your quote in your post above. It ate up the page.

ETA: Thank you!

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
Of course, thank you kindly for the comments, gamer. The Leg 1 Intersection I had planned was meant to be a bit of a throwback to classic TAR to try and get older fans back to the show. I had started off with a Civil Rights theme for the leg as referenced by the ARIs, but as I built the leg, it turned into a look back at our past with the first RB, a look at how far we have to go in attaining racial equality with the ARIs and a look ahead at ever-advancing technology and the hope of a brighter future to come in the final RB. So I meant for it to be a finale with a profound message. And I did try to stray away from penalties and twists, like you mentioned in my past DCs.
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

-Theme song from 'Full House' (1987-1995)

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
And that's it! No matter how hard or harsh my comments were, I'm open to discussion publicly for clarifications, comments, complaints, etc. etc. My scores aren't fixed yet after all!

And at the end of the day, I want to congratulate everyone for STILL making their own leg and for submitting on time. Now let's keep this momentum up as we go on for the next rounds  :cheer:

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
Thanks for the comments, gamer!

I played the seventh season several years ago - when I was TAR456 - and I sucked at that, being eliminated at the second round...

Now, as years went on, I sought myself to improve my leg designing skills - and with that judgement noted - I will take note of that!

I have rowed a boat before (long time ago), but I've forgotten how hard it is.

I didn't put horses to use because I wanted teams to exhaust themselves from biking as much as possible. (and frankly, I hadn't thought of that so)

But I appreciate your comments and I hope I can improve it better! Thanks!
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
And that's it! No matter how hard or harsh my comments were, I'm open to discussion publicly for clarifications, comments, complaints, etc. etc. My scores aren't fixed yet after all!

And at the end of the day, I want to congratulate everyone for STILL making their own leg and for submitting on time. Now let's keep this momentum up as we go on for the next rounds  :cheer:

gamer, I had never designed a finale leg until now so I kinda knew it would be mediocre at best. When I got the designer's choice, I immediately thought about doing the South region and what we were going through in society today. I wanted it to be a leg with the message - 'Learn from your past to make a brighter future'. So that's why the variety of tasks is what it is.
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
Thanks for the comment Gamer, but I've never done design challenge before  :funny:

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
Also, there will be 3 cars at the final RB - one for each performer.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I had started off with a Civil Rights theme for the leg as referenced by the ARIs, but as I built the leg, it turned into a look back at our past with the first RB, a look at how far we have to go in attaining racial equality with the ARIs and a look ahead at ever-advancing technology and the hope of a brighter future to come in the final RB. So I meant for it to be a finale with a profound message. And I did try to stray away from penalties and twists, like you mentioned in my past DCs.

That's an interesting theme, and thank you for trying to do that. It's definitely timely with things going on, and I appreciate your moving on from unnecessary penalties and twists, since that was always your crux in the past.

Here's hoping you can do better next round as a whole, you can do it  :conf:

Thanks for the comment Gamer, but I've never done design challenge before  :funny:

I know you haven't, I think I mixed you up with someone whoops  :funny:

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • BIG MISTAKE
Thanks for the comments, gamer.
I figured the Detour twist wouldn't take much time, but it was an overcorrection, aimed at reducing the RB-ARI-RB linear finales we too often see.
And I should've done more to explain Trees as an attention-to-detail task as to reduce the chances it was seen as trivial.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Hi Gamer,

-I originally wanted to place the zipline first but it does not make logistical sense. The fossil task is about an hour from Twin Falls (which is where all the other tasks take place) and is on the way from Boise Airport.

-Also for the potatoes its 5 bags per variety (4 varieties) = 20 bags (each at 10 pounds). I wanted to include a physical challenge.

-12/15 gems would be in the answer key. The gems would be prominent enough that the racers can notice them.

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
I'm hoping I survive because I have more throwbacks to classic TAR planned in the rounds ahead, timing it to the show's 20th anniversary next year.

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
Thank you very much Gamer for giving feedbacks <3 I personally didn't expect to get a high notes from you since it's been like 3 years since I designed a leg for a fantasy TAR game, and some of the players have been hosting great TAR games, and rural area is not really my expertise, so I have a low expectation for this round.

I agree with the lei task. I put too much effort for this task to make it more challenging. I did actually have a thought to make it just one lei with 8 flowers in it, but I scraped it, since I thought it was less challenging, which is unfortunately not the case

I also intended that the pit stop greeter of each country they visited would present the flowers to the racers, mentioning the name of the flower so racers who realized the pattern, could take notes, and memorized it while trying to memorize the visual of the flowers based on the name, ala TAR 14, and possibly TAR 30, but I forgot to put it on the 'notes', so it's definitely on me.

Finally, I am thanking you, gamer, again and hopefully will do well and improving for the next rounds
what might have been

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
lol i can't access spoiler tags for some ridiculous reason on my laptop

Offline Nuku

• RFF Jr. Member
lol i can't access spoiler tags for some ridiculous reason on my laptop

i have the same problem so to see the designs i went into qutoe, took out the spoiler tags and clicked preview LOLOL

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member

Comments from Judge Pi

Congrats to everyone on getting your first design in as we kick off Design Challenge Eight! I'll be posting my feedback of your designs in the upcoming posts. Everything is intended for you to be able to learn and improve. I've already scored any legs I have written comments for, so responding to my comments is unlikely to change your score. However, if I missed anything major, please let me know.

I'll be posting comments in groups of 4 or 5 in the order in which I received the designs. Good luck! :)
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Thank you very much for the critiques gamer! I appreciate your comments, and just wanted to make a rebuttal <3

Hi <3 Sorry for ignoring your Discord messages lol, I had to keep the guest judge spot under wraps.

I don't think I reached out to you on Discord? You might be thinking of someone else?

I’m just not too sure about you using an actual person as the person to be rescued. Most TAR tasks that do this have dummies for safety reasons. You should have followed suit.

The actual person will be a Coast Guardsmen so it would be safe. I wasn't clear, but the video I linked in my notes has an example of a training that has a trainee resuing the trainer. Here it is again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io_c_GxiwAM
At 1:36 they talk about how the trainer would be a survivor needing rescue.

With 18 designs I forgive you for not going into all the details ;D And I should have been more clear on the safety side!

I do like the Restore Detour since it’s physical and attention-to-detail based

I thought of it as more as a just do it physical task (Lucy & Emilia TARAUS2 Motto), I don't think there are many details to follow.

I just wish it wasn’t immediately after a Detour where one option was pretty much doing the same thing (restoring a shelter structure and making it look pretty).

With that being said, I think it would not make the ARI task redundant. This is the attention to detail set it up task, sort of similar (but not too similar :lol:) to TAR19 Thailand spirit house RB (without the memory) or TAR18 Mobile home set up (a little bit of a stretch).

Jimmer, I honestly can say this leg is decent enough, but you really had to cut your Detour. If you cut that Detour off, and make the Fairy House a second Roadblock or the final task, I’d have definitely enjoyed this leg more. Your presentation is good, and your locations are there, and the tasks are also mostly there - I just wish that Detour was not in this.

I did allude to in my notes that the Detour was not the focus of the leg.

This Detour is another task so that there is a possibility of shaking up placements while on a small lighthouse within view of other teams, but is simple enough that it won't eat up so much air time.

My intention was that the meat of the leg would be focused on the Roadblock, the active route info, and the memory challenge taking up most of the airtime. (Exciting start --> cool down Detour --> suspenseful/somewhat difficult ARI --> memory challenge) Just because the fairy dwelling task was presented as an ARI, it was supposed to be a drama filled task building up to the memory challenge. I thought three tasks would have been too short for a finale, but I agree that the Detour tasks was not the right thing and perhaps should have been cut.

Thanks again :hrt:

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
Yeah I do understand that Morse Code may be a bit of a slow finish, but I thought the idea of teams having to end doing the physical challenge with the flag hoisting on the boats and then the one mile sprint to the finish would create some suspenseful tv; unfortunately I don't know much about TV production  :funny:

Also Gamer was my presentation good? I'll drop the wiki style next time, but I did work hard on my fantasy style presentation so hopefully it payed off.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Yeah I do understand that Morse Code may be a bit of a slow finish, but I thought the idea of teams having to end doing the physical challenge with the flag hoisting on the boats and then the one mile sprint to the finish would create some suspenseful tv; unfortunately I don't know much about TV production  :funny:

Also Gamer was my presentation good? I'll drop the wiki style next time, but I did work hard on my fantasy style presentation so hopefully it payed off.

Everything is "big" imho. I would try to resize your pictures/font.

As Gamer mentioned, resizing is easy. All you do is the below (with the three digit number being changed to something you like:

Code: [Select]
[img width=250]URL of image[/img]

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
Thanks for the comments, gamer! I will explain some details in case they were not perfectly understandable later on, but yeah, I agree with some details you pointed out.

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member

Declive - Florida Keys

Show content
• I like the first Roadblock, diving to find the postcard is something to get racers out of their comfort zone on the final leg and also showcases the beautiful Atlantic waters off the coast of Florida.

• The turtle task is a terrific ARI. It features the ecology and animals of South Florida, yet doesn’t take too long for the teams or detract from the other tasks.

• The final memory Roadblock has the potential to be challenging; airport names could be something the teams gloss over during the race course. However, this task also has the potential to be quite easy for an experienced traveler or aviation geek who is familiar with names of the world’s airports- if the racer knows all the airports, the task could go by REALLY quickly. Recent memory tasks have seemingly always taken quite a long time (hours), even for teams with notes, so maybe another component to the task would help prevent racers from just blazing through (and the task potentially being linear).  What kind of decoys are present- totally random names, or names just slightly different than the real ones? What’s the ratio of decoy signs to real ones? Do racers need to search for the plaques and/or bring them to the board from another location?  I like this task, but it needs a tad more explanation and potentially a safeguard against being completed too quickly. I also like the fact that you placed the task right before the Finish Line.

• I like the addition of the cryptic clues in this leg; they almost always make for good TV during finale legs. Some of the clues might be difficult to figure out because they take several steps to decipher (figuring out the postcard refers to a movie, then figuring out there was a boat in the movie, then figuring out where the boat is in Florida). The only downside to the cryptic clues are if a team can’t figure one out, and falls way behind. I find it somewhat boring when finales become a two-team race due to this. I *think* you’ve included enough details for each of the cryptic clues to be solvable. Are teams allowed/expected to ask taxi drivers, locals, etc. for help?

• Details are good: flights, maps, money are all there. I like how your flights arrive early in the day to give teams plenty of time to complete the leg. The locations, including the Finish Line, are TV-worthy.

• Transportation-wise, I would have preferred having teams hire a driver who will only go according to their directions as opposed to traveling the whole way in taxis, as you might have some Miami taxi drivers who don’t want to drive all the way out to the Keys, and taxis probably aren’t too plentiful in the Keys. However, I won’t knock you too much for that, especially as you gave teams plenty of money for the leg.

Overall, this leg would make for a picturesque and dramatic finale. We haven’t seen a Florida finish since TAR 18, so this would be nice to watch on TV. It’s excellent to see the side of Florida with the smaller towns; your leg fit the round’s theme well. The length of the leg is appropriate, and the cryptic clues help connect the audience to the locations you chose. A couple more details regarding your cryptic clues and Roadblocks would have enhanced the design further, but this was overall a solid design. I really look forward to your future work! :)

Betheactress - Florida Keys

Show content
• I like the inclusion of the Southernmost Point as a clue pickup location, and the cluebox being a buoy is both culturally relevant and ties into your final task (more on that later!)

• For the first Roadblock, rolling cigars is something that will require lots of attention to detail.  I do think this task could have included more explanation- what exactly is the procedure for making a cigar? What materials are they provided? Nonetheless, it’s also a good way to show the Cuban/Afro-Caribbean influence in South Florida. It harkens back to TAR 7 Leg 12, where teams had to find El Rey de los Habanos, a Miami cigar shop.

• Flawless incorporation of the Del Sol color-changing shirt as a clue. I can only imagine a team receiving the shirt, immediately going to the Del Sol shop, not being able to find a clue there and getting frustrated, only to read a sign and realize that Del Sol makes shirts with messages that are revealed in sunlight. It’s both original and has potential for drama, so good job!

• The coral Active Route Info is superb. I enjoy tasks wherein racers have to pay attention to the natural environment. Coral in Florida is being threatened, so it’s nice to see a task that incorporates scientific developments (bioframing) as well as shining a light on an environmental issue (ocean acidification/coral conservation). I appreciate the thorough explanation!

• Finding where X marks the spot probably shouldn’t be too difficult for the racers. How big are the parcels? If they’re fairly big, they might be easy to spot considering how clear the water is in the pictures :funny:

• The Final Memory Roadblock should be a good test of racers’ memory, as well as navigation and search skill looking for all the clueboxes. Islamorada Sandbar is a really unique location for this task, too. After reading the design, I’m left with some lingering questions about the logistics of the task. Can teams bring multiple clueboxes back in one canoe trip? Are the clue boxes small and light enough to be transported into the canoe and paddled back by one racer? How big of an area are teams searching in? Are they given a map or told the boundaries of the area? While I like how you specified in your notes that racers would have a little bit of privacy to avoid cheating, I think it’s still possible for a racer to ride the coattails of another racer by following them around or peeking from afar. Other than that, this looks like a quality memory task and Roadblock.

• I like the boat trip leading up to the foot race to the finish mat (as long as all the boats are equal for all the teams- one type of boat being faster than another would be too unfair for a final leg IMO).

• The amount of detail you use to describe the locations you selected is great! I learned a lot of new things about the culture, history, and people of Key West reading this design. Flights, maps, and money were also there :tup:

• I LOVE how this leg incorporates several different forms of travel- taxi, on foot, taxi again, boating, canoeing, boating again, and then on foot to the Finish Line. It forces teams to be multifaceted and adaptable, which makes for a great component in a final leg.

This was an awesome debut leg for you as a designer. The leg felt really balanced between physical and mental, and included a couple cryptic clues and diverse transportation. Historical and ecological lenses in the tasks built up to a solid Final Memory Roadblock. There were a few similarities to the final leg of TAR 18, but this leg outshines it. This leg would simply be incredible to watch as a finale on TV. A few more details here and there would have elevated the design further, but overall your presentation was on point. Fantastic job!

Lemontail - Mackinac Island, Michigan

Show content
• Teams start on Easter Island and fly all the way to Northern Michigan. We don’t see the Upper Midwest on TAR much at all, so I’m eager to see your leg in Mackinac Island!

• The first Roadblock combines physicality and memory with the flags. I imagine this task to be very taxing, as it requires repeated strength and ability to tie knots.  I’m almost wondering if this task would be better with two team members, instead of one. I do like how it’s relatively okay to not get the clue the first time, because you might only have two boats out of order. A potential negative is that the racers could probably see another racer’s boat order if the boats are within eyesight of each other, but I don’t think it detracts from the main idea too much. Overall, a fairly good memory task.

• Teams are then instructed to go on foot to May’s Candy Shop. The task requires teams to make their own fudge, which is culturally relevant but might take a long time. Your notes said the entire process is 4 hours, which is rather long for an Active Route Info task. The delivery component is good; I like how they have to keep their eyes peeled for the buildings, based on architectural styles. I’m just worried that between making, sorting, and delivering the fudge, this task might take too much time.

• The inclusion of an animal-related task, specifically a horse task, on Mackinac Island is good. :tup: I don’t see a list of steps or a time estimate for this task in your design, so it’s hard to know the difficulty of the task. I think it would take a lot of tools to put together and tear apart a carriage. Do they have to assemble first, then disassemble? It could be easier to take one apart, then do the steps in backwards order to put one together.

• For the final Roadblock, I like the idea of using bikes to search for the flags. However, I do have some problems with the execution of the task. They have 20 minutes to do a 15-minute bike ride, so they have  just 5 minutes to search for 50 different flags. To be honest, I don’t think the 5-minute penalty for going over 20 minutes is necessary. It rewards racers who are naturally stronger, and doesn’t exactly encourage safe biking practices. I could see racers intentionally going way over 20 minutes in order to just get the 5-minute penalty once, which kinda defeats the purpose of it. With 50 flags to spot, this task will probably require multiple laps out of the racers anyway. Despite all of that, I do think this task is appropriate for a final memory Roadblock, because it does require a ton of qualities out of the racer who’s doing it (attention to detail, thinking quickly on your feet, tenacity, and memory of the flags).

• I like the Finish Line! I do have to say, the tasks in this leg certainly aren’t linear, so the team that gets to the finish line first will have definitely deserved their win.

• Money, maps, and flights are all there, so that’s a thumbs-up from me.

All in all, this leg was a pretty good showcase of a location that fits the round’s theme perfectly, Mackinac Island. The amount of detail you provided for each location and task was in-depth, so I feel like I know a lot more about the culture of Mackinac after reading this leg. That’s a good thing, and it’ll help your score this round. Some of the tasks could have been less complicated to help on time (only delivering fudge instead of making and sorting it; either assembling or disassembling the horse carriage, instead of both). Since your leg started in the morning, there’s a lot of time allowed for the leg to complete, so it’s probably okay. I would like to see this leg on TV, but it would be one of the most demanding final legs we’ve seen in a while. This was a pretty good Round 1 submission, so I anticipate your future designs!

MikeDodgers - Talladega, Alabama

Show content
• All right, we’ll start in Japan and fly to Alabama. It hasn’t been visited since TAR 8, so I’m ready to see it again.

• Teams can opt to travel by taxi or by driving themselves? That’s unique, but I’m not sure it’s necessary to include in a final leg. Why give them $200 for the leg if they might be driving themselves? Why would a team drive themselves if a taxi driver who knows how to navigate is available? It’s an interesting twist, but I would’ve preferred you simply picking one or the other.

• The first task of the leg is a Roadblock, which requires one team member to mill one pound of cotton. With no real explanation, photos, or videos to show how this task is done, it’s tough for me to know what racers have to do here. One website I found lists 10 different steps in the process, which would make for an exceedingly involved task. You also didn’t specify whether there was an ongoing demonstration or some other way for teams to learn what to do. Furthermore, this task raises the possibility of not even being PC - there was enough backlash with the Vietnamese song in TAR 22, and this task could potentially be even worse in terms of public reception. I could understand certain groups in America not being OK with this task, considering the historical connotations of the cotton industry in the South. On top of that, you didn’t really explain why cotton is especially important to Talladega - some agricultural maps I’ve found online don’t have Talladega as part of an area with major cotton production or acreage. I think there are much, much better ways to respectfully pay homage to the “period of slavery leading to the Civil War” than this task.

• The Hall of Heroes ARI is meant to shine a spotlight on five people who played a part in school desegregation, but I have some issues with this task. A quick Google search tells me that this museum is dedicated primarily to people who have served in the US military, meaning the historical figures you listed likely wouldn’t be present in this museum. I also would have liked to see a little bit more explanation on why the Brown v. Board decision warrants a task in Alabama. I understand that the ruling had its effects on Alabama and was a major part of the Civil Rights movement, but it was a case regarding a Kansas school district and was decided in Washington, D.C. Also, none of the people teams are supposed to be taking pictures of are from Alabama (to my knowledge). Explanation here is key!

• The house-finding task in the Silk Stocking District is okay. The clues are easy enough for teams to not be stumped, but hard enough for them to still have to interact with locals for confirmation and directions to the houses. Having a map of where these houses are located would be nice, or at least noting how far they are from each other and the station.

• The Civil Rights quiz ARI is okay in theory, but watching two people sit down to take a quiz on what is supposed to be the most exciting episode of the season could be underwhelming. The Russia time zones quiz was at least somewhat humorous, but this setting for this task is much different. What type of content is on the test? Is it true/false, multiple choice, or otherwise? Are there any measures taken to ensure teams don’t cheat (separate rooms, dividers, etc.)? How long do you anticipate the quiz to take the racers? If they fail the first time, do they have to do the same quiz or a different one the next time? Details, details, details, details.

• Teams then get a clue which leads them to Talladega Speedway, setting us up for the final Roadblock. One team member gets to drive in a NASCAR, which fills the adrenaline/adventure task often present in final legs. Wait, they have to drive at race speed?! How are teams supposed to safely drive at speeds of 180 MPH (290 KPH) as amateurs, much less be looking out for flags while doing so? How big are these flags and what is the design of a typical flag? I’m not quite sure what the point is of looking out for the flags while driving, then just finding the ones in a field. I like how teams have to remember all the way back to leg 1, and being waved to the Finish Line by the green flag is a cute detail. However, this task is extremely messy, not to mention unrealistic and likely unsafe. It needs more details about the logistics and equipment of the task.

• Please try to include a picture of the actual Finish Line location in your design next time. You said it’s the Victory Lane, but let’s see a photo!

• I like the addition of the cryptic clues. The Swayne Hall one might be the hardest one to figure out, but if you can get Swayne’s name from a local or your taxi driver, you can find the next destination pretty quickly.

• As far as your presentation: picture sizing could have been more consistent, transportation details could have been more complete (your design doesn’t make it clear how teams get from BHM to Talladega), task descriptions could have been clarified better (what number of correct answers on the quiz is a C or higher, exactly?). However, I did appreciate the details you did include, such as money, maps, and flights.

• I would have liked if you had included estimates of how much time it takes for each task to complete, as it’s hard for us to guess.

Mike, this leg was tumultuous from start to finish. I admire your intention to showcase the Civil Rights Movement in various tasks this leg, but the execution was subpar. There are at least three of your five tasks that I honestly can’t see ever making it on to an actual episode of the Race. If I had to give you advice moving forward: Don’t be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and strive to be original. Do lots of research on the places you want to visit. Also, try to use graphics and materials that are your own. :P

Bookworm - Vermont

Show content
• Teams begin in Ghana and are instructed to fly to Vermont, the land of Ben & Jerry’s, maple syrup, and Shane Meaney. Vermont hasn’t been visited before and would be really nice for a leg in pretty much any season, from summer to winter, so I’m excited to see what you’ve done here.

• Visiting the Tool Museum, creating a broom ties in nicely with the history of the area as well as the round’s rural theme. I also like how teams must immediately use the broom they just created to perform a task. Sweeping the rooms to reveal the Detour names one at a time makes for a good risk-reward scenario; deciding whether to spend another few minutes sweeping will force teams to make a critical decision in the heat of the final leg, which could provide suspense and drama. Good job on that ARI!

•  I don’t mind the idea of a Detour in the finale at all, especially if it’s closer to the front of the leg. Tasks requiring teams to transport cheese are almost always entertaining on TAR, so the Cheese side of the Detour is promising. I’d like to think that most teams would be wise enough to try to get the exact weight on the scale instead of trial and error, so this task could go by pretty quickly for teams who can do math. If one of the varieties is exactly 20 or 25 pounds, then they could get to 500 by using just one type of cheese. Requiring at least one wheel of each variety to be on the scale could help add another layer of thinking into teams’ strategy. Still, it’s a fine task.

• It’s hard to predict how teams would perform the Trees detour. Teams could either guess random 6-letter words, search for three or four leaves and try to guess the word, or go for all six leaves and then figure out the word. The task does have a good mental component, and should provide an a-ha moment when teams do figure out the word “apples”. Are teams allowed to make unlimited guesses, or do they have to wait a certain time before guessing again? I would have liked to see teams writing down their answer on a chalkboard, giving them privacy from the other teams and preventing rapid-fire guessing of six-letter words. Also, a minor nitpick is that this Detour task has the potential to be dominated by one racer, while the Cheese task requires both members’ effort to do the task in the fastest manner. Overall, both sides of the Detour are strong, and the Detour seems fairly balanced with each side able to be completed in a reasonable amount of time.

• Yay, an art gallery! Champ is a symbol of the area, so a task requiring teams to make a replica using local materials should be a lovely penultimate task. I only hope the judge for this task is as objective as possible, as it’s difficult to quantify adequate creativity. Local art is very important in the Northeast, so this task fills that role well. I do like how creativity is part of the task, instead of a pure physical test.

• This Final Roadblock is reminiscent of TAR 13, yet it puts its own spin on the challenge. How many birdhouses/photos are there? You said the task would take about 30-60 minutes, so I’m guessing not an overwhelming amount. Having the pictures from different tasks and locations for each leg should really test the memory of the racer completing this task. This RB is challenging without being ridiculous, and should be easy to follow along with watching on TV.

• Details throughout this design were assiduous, including the flights, maps, leg money. Estimates for the time of each task are always appreciated, so good job! :)

All things considered, you hit the round’s theme perfectly. Your design and notes were concise and uncomplicated. Putting a Detour into a final leg might be seen as risky, but yours was well-balanced and would be great to see play out on TV. The only thing that could possibly bring this leg down is the lack of a scary/adventurous task that WRP seems to like to include in final legs, but this design hits all the high notes with culturally relevant locations, tasks that are non-linear without relying on luck, and a straightforward flow. Can’t wait to see what designs you’ll bring in the future!
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm