Author Topic: The Person Behind TAR's Camerawork  (Read 1324 times)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
The Person Behind TAR's Camerawork
« on: September 09, 2021, 10:25:40 PM »
Not sure if this has been brought up before elsewhere, but I found buried treasure from the TAR27 to 28 transitional period where TAR's current director of photography Peter Rieveschl, and producer Bertram were interviewed by Variety and discussed how certain scenes make the cut, the incredible cameramen that have been a part of the series, and the evolution of the race's camera angles. It showed up in my recommendations tonight and I thought I'd shared it since it's the first time I've seen this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC55Sh3VTeg

Peter was an operator for the adrenaline rush seasons and was promoted to a lead role in getting the best shots starting from season 21. This was also the season that I noticeably observed a drastic change in the way the race is portrayed on broadcast such as the moving bird's eye shots, better helmet camera work, and location sequences, so this definitely threw me for a loop. Discuss among yourselves the wow factor.

:spy:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Online Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Person Behind TAR's Camerawork
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 03:59:08 AM »
Another thing is drones are a fairly new concept that hadn't caught on yet when TAR began. Of course those improved their overhead and landscape shots significantly.

Where would they be on the stunt tasks without GoPros, right? Lol.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: The Person Behind TAR's Camerawork
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 06:22:16 AM »
If you want to see what drones are capable of at a live sporting event, check out the videos on You Tube of the MLB Field of Dreams game from Dyersville, Iowa on August 12th. Flying through cornfields, through and around the MLS playing field, flying into and through the movie set house, and circling a hot air balloon that flew over the field at one point during the game.
I’m pretty certain we saw the use of drones in some outdoor tasks on season 32 and on season 5 of TAR Australia. The imaging is incredible.
-- theschnauzers