Author Topic: DISCUSSION of TAR 33 SUSPENSION DUE TO COVID (may contain location spoilers)  (Read 88487 times)

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
Re: DISCUSSION of the TAR 33 CANCELLATION DUE TO CORONOVIRUS
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2020, 07:33:38 PM »
Kind of figured this was coming once it got so bad in Italy. Everyone’s health and safety comes first. Hopefully they can get rolling again here soon once Spring officially gets here and kills on the strand for now.

Perhaps a production reschedule?

Offline Malcooolm

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Ladies and gentleman...Miss California!
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2020, 08:03:50 PM »
Kind of figured this was coming once it got so bad in Italy. Everyone’s health and safety comes first. Hopefully they can get rolling again here soon once Spring officially gets here and kills on the strand for now.

Perhaps a production reschedule?

I’m very doubtful that this season gets rescheduled anytime soon. It’d be so hard for everyone to get the time off work again so soon after they took off for this filming period
Love, an unapologetic Lisa & Michelle stan

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2020, 08:18:19 PM »
They could also take a couple of weeks to figure out a Southern Hemisphere route. Then again by the time they do that, it’ll be Spring officially and the virus will likely have mostly died off. I guess they’ve learned to never do a peak flu season (February) filming ever again.

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2020, 08:33:22 PM »
It is indeed sad, but a wise decision. Health & safety come first. I wonder how they will continue filming moving forward, these people have jobs and other commitments. Hopefully, the season does not get cancelled.

Offline LandonM170

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2020, 08:40:01 PM »
I just pray that don't cancelled the season, and we never get another season of TAR US.

Offline Parovic

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2020, 08:53:35 PM »
 So how will they redo the season?

I mean,they will continue as 9 teams (starting from UK)?
Or a completely new set of teams

Offline CoriSanchi

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2020, 08:53:51 PM »
I’m choosing to remain optimistic. They do 12 shows in 21 days, they’re 3 shows and 6 days down. They only need 15 more days to film, that’s reasonable for the cast to be able to take off of work. And I bet they could make an arrangement where people can return home/to work if they’re eliminated and just have them return for the finish line. It’s no sooooo unreasonable to think they could make it work
CHARLA & MIRNA ARE QUEEN

Offline LandonM170

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2020, 08:55:07 PM »
I kinda want them to continue normally, but have the already eliminated teams in sequester.

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2020, 08:55:13 PM »
They could also take a couple of weeks to figure out a Southern Hemisphere route. Then again by the time they do that, it’ll be Spring officially and the virus will likely have mostly died off. I guess they’ve learned to never do a peak flu season (February) filming ever again.

When March comes as spring will go on, hopefully the race might get to start reshooting the first two-three legs all over again. Southern Hemisphere will go on autumn (fall) in the coming weeks and Europe will start DST in the last Sunday of March.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2020, 09:34:15 PM »
I guess we can go through the different options they would have. These would be hypothetical situations based on an assumption that 2 teams have been eliminated in 3 Legs.

1. Continue Race where they left off, same cast
Have the remaining teams continue Racing starting at Leg 4.
"Roadblock": Teams may no longer be available for a one month shoot whenever production restarts.

2. Restart the entire Race, same cast
Roadblock: Unfair for the teams that survived the first 3 Legs. But argument could be made that unfair for the eliminated teams who had to compete in the difficult circumstances.

3. Restart the entire Race, "new" cast
Include teams who would be available when production restarts, fill remaining spots with new teams. Any original TAR33 teams can be held for possible future season, per availability.

4. Restart the entire Race, ALL new cast
Clean slate, brand new cast.

How to deal with the already filmed Legs and episodes?:
For option 1: Start the season off specifically mentioning how the Race was to originally occur in the midst of the outbreak. Then during Episode 3, include the discussions and process over which the decision was made to suspend production. (Would be a very dramatic episode) Episode 4 would begin with essentially summarizing the events between suspension of and restarting of production. Would be a fascinating documentation of the world at this present time.

For options 2 and 3: Start the season normally, then the Episode 3 explanation of the decision to suspend production.
OR
Air a special premiere episode in a sort of documentary style chronicling the series of events from the decision to start production, the production itself then the decision to suspend. Then proceed the season as normal.

For option 4: Turn the already filmed Legs into a sort of miniseries/documentary. Perhaps still consider the season as TAR33 and any restart of production and the next fully complete season will be TAR34. It will be a fascinating moment and document of the world to have TAR33 be a sort of "lost season". But obviously still air it.

Offline tar fan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2020, 09:51:12 PM »

It's not peak flu season in Feb for half the world!

Offline OMGitsGARRET

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2020, 10:21:41 PM »
Oh my gosh, I don’t come on here for barely two days and they cancel the season?!  :'(

What happened?! Is there a recap or summary of what’s all went down? I get it was because of cornavirus concerns but do we have more details?

Also what else went on race wise? Last I heard Glasgow was leg 2 and teams checked in the Pit Stop but we never found out who got out. Did we ever find out who was eliminated? Did they end up having a leg 3 or was it already cancelled by then? I would look this information up myself but all the old TAR 33 threads are missing. Are there any links to those threads still or were they removed?

This is such a sad situation overall but as someone else pointed out, it reminds me of the Bachelor in Paradise shutdown a few seasons ago. I dont really understand why they would cancel the whole season... they could just avoid China/Italy/South Korea... but I won’t make any judgements. Hopefully they end up continuing later in March hopefully?

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2020, 10:24:58 PM »

Coronavirus is related to SARS not the flu and is a completely different virus to the flu despite similar symptoms.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2020, 11:09:23 PM »
Oh my gosh, I don’t come on here for barely two days and they cancel the season?!  :'(

What happened?! Is there a recap or summary of what’s all went down? I get it was because of cornavirus concerns but do we have more details?

Also what else went on race wise? Last I heard Glasgow was leg 2 and teams checked in the Pit Stop but we never found out who got out. Did we ever find out who was eliminated? Did they end up having a leg 3 or was it already cancelled by then? I would look this information up myself but all the old TAR 33 threads are missing. Are there any links to those threads still or were they removed?

This is such a sad situation overall but as someone else pointed out, it reminds me of the Bachelor in Paradise shutdown a few seasons ago. I dont really understand why they would cancel the whole season... they could just avoid China/Italy/South Korea... but I won’t make any judgements. Hopefully they end up continuing later in March hopefully?

All we have is the statement from CBS and the articles at variety.com and hollywoodreporter.com. CBS is calling it a suspension of filming not a cancellation though getting everyone together and resuming where they left off will be tough. The Variety article says that 3 legs were filmed in England and Scotland and that teams returned to the US from Scotland. So, if the article is right about a third leg being filmed, it must have been in Scotland and we didn’t get any information about it.

As for who was eliminated, I think we had a good idea who was eliminated in the first leg but weren’t 100% sure. As for legs 2 and 3, I don’t think we have a clue.

I think they looked at the spread of the virus in the last few days and probably concluded that places that looked OK today might not be OK a few days or a week from now. They always have some backup plans if a location doesn’t work out, but if they have to do that for most of the episodes, it would be expensive and likely create chaos.

It’s also possible that their insurance company wasn’t happy about covering liability if people got sick on the race or, God forbid, died.

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2020, 11:42:16 PM »
I guess we can go through the different options they would have. These would be hypothetical situations based on an assumption that 2 teams have been eliminated in 3 Legs.

"Roadblock": Teams may no longer be available for a one month shoot whenever production restarts.

Roadblock: Unfair for the teams that survived the first 3 Legs. But argument could be made that unfair for the eliminated teams who had to compete in the difficult circumstances.

Include teams who would be available when production restarts, fill remaining spots with new teams. Any original TAR33 teams can be held for possible future season, per availability.

For option 1: Start the season off specifically mentioning how the Race was to originally occur in the midst of the outbreak. Then during Episode 3, include the discussions and process over which the decision was made to suspend production. (Would be a very dramatic episode) Episode 4 would begin with essentially summarizing the events between suspension of and restarting of production. Would be a fascinating documentation of the world at this present time.

For options 2 and 3: Start the season normally, then the Episode 3 explanation of the decision to suspend production.
OR
Air a special premiere episode in a sort of documentary style chronicling the series of events from the decision to start production, the production itself then the decision to suspend. Then proceed the season as normal.

For option 4: Turn the already filmed Legs into a sort of miniseries/documentary. Perhaps still consider the season as TAR33 and any restart of production and the next fully complete season will be TAR34. It will be a fascinating moment and document of the world to have TAR33 be a sort of "lost season". But obviously still air it.

Nice analysis on the summary, Dryedmangoez.

I wonder that option 4 is shown above with a mix of 2 and 3 that the race would be restarted from the beginning, then reshoot the first 2 legs and I don't think that eliminated teams wouldn't be brought back as give the alternates might replace them.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 04:29:18 AM by claude_24hrs »

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2020, 11:54:06 PM »

OR

Great analysis dryermangoez!

On a different note, STUPID CORONAVIRUS. Can this already end now. What a great start to a decade.
People dying, people getting sick, economies falling, tourism down, panic buying. Ugh. Hoping and praying that this ends. The world has suffered a lot already.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 12:07:45 AM by TARUSAFan »

Offline OMGitsGARRET

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2020, 12:29:04 AM »
One of the worst parts now is that so many staff members have essentially been laid off and now have no job

https://twitter.com/Kfu3000/status/1233485578512920577

This is awful :(

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2020, 02:07:50 AM »
There’s some misunderstanding in the posts above about the circumstances. Just hours before the CBS announcement the World Health Organization raised its level of concern on the potential for this particular virus the spread from High to Very High, its most severe level of concern. In addition, a second case was identified in the U.S. that was unrelated to travelers from an area of infection or from the quarantined cruise ship in Japan. It’s highly concerning because it demonstrates community transmission of the virus in places where protocols are not in place to reduce transmission. And then the coronavirus was now confirmed to have cases on every continent, except Antartica. This includes Africa, (including sub-Saharan Africa) Australia and South America. The coronavirus while not transmitted through the air, can last in an open environment for nine days. Symptoms are nor consistent, some people have mild symptoms and can die, others will have severe symptoms and survive. And you can be exposed to ad become ill more than once. So there’s no established natural immunity.
And it is still not clear what the incubation period is. Travel has become a major concern for transmission as well as inadequate means of isolating people who may have been exposed or have been exposed or have come down with the illness.
It’s clear that production had run out of options for filming additional legs due to these circumstances. With the now global spread of the coronavirus it can’t. Be considered seasonal like the flu, and it is not a flu to begin with. SARS was the closest thing they’ve seen like this, but the newer coronavirus appears to have features to make it harder to treat and control. Official a vaccine or treatment is thought to be 12 to 18 months away, but some potential treatments are already undergoing human trials to expedite this.
The other immediate issue to shortages of the tests need to detect coronavirus, and other supplies such as masks on a global basis. Many medical masks are not the right type for coronavirus, and would be ineffective.

Personally the filming could resume wherever production chooses for the fourth leg, they wouldn’t have to return to a particular location from the three filmed legs. I suspect affected third parties (I.e., employers and so forth can be persuaded to cooperate under the circumstances.

Just remember, there hasn’t been anything like this in a century, the 1919 pandemic. And this is the first season to be drastically affect since TAR 2, filmed immediately after 9/11 when security constraints were unexpectedly difficult. And that was worked out.
-- theschnauzers

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2020, 03:50:47 AM »

I just mean that this is a bad time to go from a health angle, not necessarily the flu specifically. Was using it as a catch all. This year it’s COVID but one year they could do it in a really bad flu year and everyone could get sick and they have to stop production.

Coronavirus is related to SARS not the flu and is a completely different virus to the flu despite similar symptoms.

Offline I ♥ TAR

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2020, 04:10:14 AM »
I see RFF already pretending this season never happened. Why TAR33 threads are hide/deleted?

Offline Macaroons

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2020, 09:02:07 AM »
I see RFF already pretending this season never happened. Why TAR33 threads are hide/deleted?

To protect the racers and maintain as much confidentiality as possible until the race resumes.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2020, 09:15:22 AM »
Lmao sorry that above post’s formatting got so messed up but I was just using “flu season” as a catch all term. This year it’s the COVID that’s bad but any other February filming could run into a bad flu season and everyone ends up getting sick.

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2020, 09:18:22 AM »
Lmao sorry that above post’s formatting got so messed up but I was just using “flu season” as a catch all term. This year it’s the COVID that’s bad but any other February filming could run into a bad flu season and everyone ends up getting sick.

When the suspended production would take a little longer, hopefully the race could restart filming by late March or early April early 2021.

JMO
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 07:07:48 PM by claude_24hrs »

Offline LilEdgar

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2020, 09:32:11 AM »
Somebody posted this on reddit, can anybody verify? (Potential Route spoilers)
claudemac24hrs38m   
Just before the race got halted production, the race route for TAR 33 is supposedly starting at United Kingdom 🇬🇧 (England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 and Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿) - Sweden 🇸🇪 - Spain 🇪🇸 - South Africa 🇿🇦 - Mozambique 🇲🇿 - Thailand 🇹🇭 - Indonesia 🇮🇩 - Australia 🇦🇺 - Japan 🇯🇵; a 5-continent race as planned. No new countries (TAR 21, 22, 23, 24 and 29), just some countries would be undervisited as they visited in TAR one to two times.

Whether the 33rd race would be going back to production by late March or early April, the route will be modified from the initial eastbound route in England and Scotland, and through into the westerly route from Oceania and to the penultimate leg in Europe.

Offline Malcooolm

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Ladies and gentleman...Miss California!
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2020, 09:34:30 AM »
Somebody posted this on reddit, can anybody verify? (Potential Route spoilers)
claudemac24hrs38m   
Just before the race got halted production, the race route for TAR 33 is supposedly starting at United Kingdom 🇬🇧 (England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 and Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿) - Sweden 🇸🇪 - Spain 🇪🇸 - South Africa 🇿🇦 - Mozambique 🇲🇿 - Thailand 🇹🇭 - Indonesia 🇮🇩 - Australia 🇦🇺 - Japan 🇯🇵; a 5-continent race as planned. No new countries (TAR 21, 22, 23, 24 and 29), just some countries would be undervisited as they visited in TAR one to two times.

Whether the 33rd race would be going back to production by late March or early April, the route will be modified from the initial eastbound route in England and Scotland, and through into the westerly route from Oceania and to the penultimate leg in Europe.
Honestly, that route sounds too good to be true. If it’s real though, stupid coronavirus virus. What a missed opportunity :(
Love, an unapologetic Lisa & Michelle stan