Author Topic: EP7/EP8 "If I Were In Town, I Would Ask For Your Number"  (Read 155756 times)

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP7/EP8 "If I Were In Town, I Would Ask For Your Number"
« Reply #150 on: March 27, 2007, 09:38:31 AM »
The floors sure look like the Palace on the lake ..but who knows what other places has the same floors  :lol:?
Lord know how hard it is to get inside that place ..right guys?

:groan:  Ha, tell me about it.  I've screamed myself silly, yelling at my computer for that dude to take a picture of the fireplace at the other end of the room.   :lol:

Not sure about the walls, but the floor sure looks similar.   :-\

Will this do Boingo !!

:piano:   :wtg:  You get a "dancing banana" for that trick.  No, better yet, let's have a drink.  :jam: :beer2: :martini: :wine: :keeta:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2007, 09:45:55 AM »
ok so we know C/M are doing these tasks on the same day as the dark pitstop because they are wearing the same clothes:

so far the tasks we have seen are:

Knight - Roadblock
Piano tuning - Detour
Rowing - Detour
Manequin - Detour

So there seems to be three detour options, unless the rowing isn't a detour, and C/M just get frustrated with the piano tuning so they switch to the manequin thing?

I wonder if there is an intersection this leg
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 09:49:48 AM by Michael D »

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2007, 10:47:25 AM »
ok so we know C/M are doing these tasks on the same day as the dark pitstop because they are wearing the same clothes:

Knight - Roadblock
Piano tuning - Detour
Rowing - Detour
Manequin - Detour

So there seems to be three detour options, unless the rowing isn't a detour, and C/M just get frustrated with the piano tuning so they switch to the manequin thing?

I think that the rowboat exercise is the other ROADBLOCK since we only see one of the Chas doing it.

The piano tuning exercise could be at the sit of the Frederic Chopin Society in the Ostrogski Palace

In the background of the BQ's "jumping with joy" there is a statue of someone mounted on a horse.  The only similar statue I could find is that of Josef Poniatowski located in front of and in the courtyard of the Radziwill Palace.

The shot of Phil waiting at the pit stop mat, certainly matches the shot of the Chas running up the path.  Could even be in the Saxon Gardens.

The only building I can find with greek/roman columes at street level is the Wielki Opera Theatre, across from Saxon Gardens. 

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2007, 10:51:18 AM »

Knight - Roadblock
Piano tuning - Detour
Rowing - Detour
Manequin - Detour

Maybe some of these tasks are ones every team must complete, thus not a Detour or Roadblock.

Offline hound 109

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2007, 11:04:48 AM »
Hi everybody  :waves:.  I've lurked since the middle of last season (I had never been spoiled before).  You guys are amazing  :tup:.  

I'll jump in with both feet....C & M keep their lead into Poland, complete the knight road block & possibly the piano tuning detour (which could be at night) & arrive at "to be continued" pitstop in the dark (which explains "are you kidding me").  

The other two teams seen at pitstop..... D&K & the Chas, arrive in early morning.  A semi bunch occurs (since C&M are held up by hours of operation) for the next task (maybe the boat task) after TBC mat.   B:)

.......or not.   ???

(note - thanks to dvr & GSN i've seen all epys at least twice.  I have always loved TAR & I really enjoy your website because it discusses travel, strategy, details etc. as opposed to "I hate so & so....etc." which seemed the norm on other sites.  And since I'm a shameless shmoozer, I must say that Puddin - & the rest of you all rock.   ;)

« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 11:14:28 AM by hound 109 »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2007, 11:13:46 AM »
 :welcome2: Hi Hound.
If this is really a mountain as some have speculated then I think Mount Meru near Arusha becomes the prime candidate. I haven't found any matching buildings in the area; maybe someone with better resolution can read the building sign. (If it isn't a mountain and they're still on the island, maybe producers decided to skip Arusha altogether and proceed straight to Warsaw.)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2007, 11:22:54 AM »
Welcome hound 109   :hearts: nice to meet you!
Gman thanks for the leads and will check them out later although I have checked out the Wielki Opera Theatre but couldn't find a match.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2007, 11:23:13 AM »
 :waves:  Nice to meet ya, Hound.

We have only one rule for newbies (noobs) here.   :angel:  (see below)

...he he he, only kidding...welcome

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2007, 11:34:56 AM »
I can't tell if these are the same minibus's they used for EP6 or not? maybe someone can check id they still have EP6 saved?
<< Muslim woman

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2007, 11:36:57 AM »
I have episode six on my computer and they look pretty much the same to me puddin!

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2007, 11:39:33 AM »
In the background of the BQ's "jumping with joy" there is a statue of someone mounted on a horse.  The only similar statue I could find is that of Josef Poniatowski located in front of and in the courtyard of the Radziwill Palace.

The shot of Phil waiting at the pit stop mat, certainly matches the shot of the Chas running up the path.  Could even be in the Saxon Gardens.

The only building I can find with greek/roman columes at street level is the Wielki Opera Theatre, across from Saxon Gardens. 

:o Now there's a coincidence.  The statue is of Josef Poniatowski, and the greeter is a Josef Poniatowski "look-a-like".  Go figure.

Here's a interactive 360 degree panoramic view from Saxon Gardens (showing the church that C/M are catching a cab by.  If the pitstop is in the gardens, then the cab ride will be a short one.   ;D
QuickTime Player version
Java version

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2007, 11:41:10 AM »
well as crappy as they maybe ..
they do look different..unless Eric & Dees bus was different?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 11:45:29 AM by puddin »

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2007, 11:42:41 AM »
Sure look like the same vans, and there is that watch on Erics wrist, that's why they call it a wristwatch, by the way; can anyone make out the time.  My best guess is around 4:15.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2007, 11:49:03 AM »
Here's a interactive 360 degree panoramic view from Saxon Gardens (showing the church that C/M are catching a cab by.  If the pitstop is in the gardens, then the cab ride will be a short one
Thanks as always for the "spins" Boingo  :lol:

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2007, 12:01:04 PM »

:o Now there's a coincidence.  The statue is of Josef Poniatowski, and the greeter is a Josef Poniatowski "look-a-like".  Go figure.

Here's a interactive 360 degree panoramic view from Saxon Gardens (showing the church that C/M are catching a cab by.  If the pitstop is in the gardens, then the cab ride will be a short one.   ;D
QuickTime Player version
Java version

We established earlier that C/M were hailing cab near the Augsburg Protestant Community Church, next to the Zacheta Fine Arts Gallery (that's the building this side of the church.  These buildings lie just south of the Saxon Gardens.  So the Saxon Gardens may be out just now.  Actually there are many "garden" locations in Warsaw; almost every palace has a garden area attached.

By the way:  if anyone is travelling to Warsaw, the white building just to the right of the large open paved area is the Sofitel Intercontental Hotel and I can recommend it highly.  When I was first there in 1978 with President Carter it was known as the Victoria and it was the most modern hotel in Poland.  Stilll a very good hotel in 2002, and very convenient to most places you want to go, and it is in walking distance of Old Town.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 03:40:17 PM by gingerman28 »

Offline hound 109

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #165 on: March 27, 2007, 12:43:40 PM »
:waves:  Nice to meet ya, Hound.

We have only one rule for newbies (noobs) here.   :angel:  (see below)

...he he he, only kidding...welcome
Thanks for the welcome, guys.  Boingo....i'll keep the newbie rule in mind.   :o

(kinda looks like that poor insect who got nailed in the RAID commercial  ;D)

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 27, 2007, 02:24:55 PM »
is it possible that the roadblock comes the night before the detour?

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #167 on: March 27, 2007, 04:05:52 PM »
GET YOUR RED-HOT AIRLINE FLIGHT INFO HERE:

Part 1 Zanzibar to Arusha (yes, there is one daily nonstop flight, to my delight and surprise)
B4 201 departs Zanzibar 1000 arrives ARK 1130
This could be the route for the top 4 teams to get there on Monday Dec. 4. Eric/Danielle will probably not make it unless they had a swift dhow crossing.

for E/D and Joe/Bill their option will be only slightly better than waiting for the above flight on Dec. 5 -
PW451 departs Zanzibar 2120 arrives DAR 2150, B4  211 departs DAR 0910 Dec. 5 arrives ARK 1120

Part 2 Zanzibar to Nairobi (which with a land connection will be superior for E/D and J/B)
PW451 departs ZNZ 2120 arrives DAR 2150, LX293 departs DAR 2020 arrives NBO 2335, then a 3 hour car trip to Arusha

Part 3 Nairobi to Warsaw (note: there are no flights from Arusha to Nairobi, so one of the above connections or land options or air charters will be needed to get teams to Nairobi)
On Tuesdays or Wednesdays, KQ116 departs NBO 1125 arrives AMS 1850, then either LOT 0268 departs AMS 1945 arrives WAW 2140 or KL1369 departs AMS 1950 arrives 2150.
Every day, KL566 departs NBO 2245 arrives AMS 0530, KL 1363 departs AMS 0925 arrives WAW 1125.

OK, so if there is no episode 7 pitstop in the Mt. Kilimanjaro or Nairobi areas note that the evening flight from Zanzibar through Dar-es-Salaam arrives too late into Nairobi to make the connection for the evening flight to Amsterdam, arriving late morning into Warsaw. If teams were allowed to, taking the morning flight to Arusha and the 3 hour car ride to Nairobi, they could be at Jomo-Kenyatta airport in Nairobi by about 3pm and easily catch that evening flight. Otherwise they will be waiting for the next morning flight and arrive late evening into Warsaw.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2007, 06:58:28 PM »
wowzas talk about dead board tonight  :(

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2007, 07:29:11 PM »
I am lost--where did this set of pics of the vans in Africa come from please?

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2007, 07:35:26 PM »
We're lost too  ??? best guesses are either the Arusha area or back on the island (Zanzibar). The sign on the opposite building or these signs might help, but I can't read them.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »
We're lost too  ??? best guesses are either the Arusha area or back on the island (Zanzibar). The sign on the opposite building or these signs might help, but I can't read them.

I'm guessing they are just on their way to the airport or something because here is a shot of E/D at the airport from the web preview (the guidos can also be seen in other shots)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2007, 07:42:25 PM »
Searching Arusha it might as well be Stonetown as it all looks the same, lol.

This is the only evidence of, Stonetown fo' sure looks like the Fort to me.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2007, 07:47:04 PM »
OK back to Stonetown/ Kikungwi for me  :waves: .........I'm so sick of looking for the Knight/Roadblock place  :groan:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
omg puddin - i know! that knight road block had me so frustrated! I just gave up.