Author Topic: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Final Round Design Show on Page 50!  (Read 89706 times)

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
Re: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Round 5 Design Showcase on Page 40!
« Reply #1000 on: September 11, 2020, 10:33:20 PM »
Thanks Declive, Nuku, and Bookworm!!!

Great job, everyone, this is once again a really competitive round, I'm anxious to see what happens! Also lol at Lemontail and I both using different sides of Lake Titicaca  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
Re: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Round 5 Design Showcase on Page 40!
« Reply #1001 on: September 12, 2020, 08:12:35 AM »
I always get a bad feeling about my legs when Showcase comes up and this time's no different...
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

-Theme song from 'Full House' (1987-1995)

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1002 on: September 13, 2020, 10:15:01 AM »
I am currently reading your legs! Will post my comments shortly. You are always free to clarify if I raised questions on your designs :tup:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1003 on: September 13, 2020, 10:16:50 AM »
DESIGN #1: Bookworm
(Temuco and Lago Budi, Chile)

- Temuco being namedropped as poorest in Chile does not need to be mentioned. This also insinuates that the resisting native Mapuche causes this. I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Anyway, this won't affect my scoring, just nitpicking :)

- Smashing tile... we've seen this before. But as you've mentioned, it is for a quick RI task.

- DETOUR: I like laborious tasks like bundling Chilean seaweeds, materials that I have never seen before. Kudos!

- DETOUR: At first read, I like the task. I dig that it is both crafting with a test on Kultrun symbols. However, after reading (and rereading and rereading) the task details, I got more confused.

It would have been nice if you provide an example of the dream (complete with sentences), and how that dream translates to the symbols. Again, as much as I love the idea of this, but you need to solidly explain to us how this works.

However, I still would like to praise you for digging it this deep and I feel like this would reflect perfectly on screen -- with Mapuche tribe and all.

- ROADBLOCK: This is a good RB and would allow the UTurned team to potentially catch-up to the teams.

Overall, I really liked this leg. I believe this is a strong leg, and would have been stronger if you were able to provide the necessary information (I dont need to see the distance and estimates, I need to see more of the actual implementation of tasks). Good job!
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1004 on: September 13, 2020, 10:20:29 AM »
DESIGN #4 - Nuku
Sacred Valley, Peru

- DETOUR: The concept is nice, but the problem here is you did not indicate anything. Which folk dances are there? It is super easy to pitch this idea, but I need more details on how this will play out. Will the folk dances be super similar? Costumes confusing? We said we want IDEA, but support it as much as possible pls.

- DETOUR: I like this one better, as it gives me an interesting concept and then supporting it with backup information on how to make that concept a reality. However, it would have been better to provide us a sample of the message they need to memorize.

- UTURN: What I like about both detours is that they are where it is best to put a U-Turn, as both tasks are not too time expensive.

- The Roadblock and the rest of the leg looks good on paper, but I just don't know what to do with them. How hard will the weaving be? Provide examples, at least even a video on what they are going to do.

- Overall, I like the leg but I feel like these are all ideas that were not properly fleshed out. If we are in a university, I'd give this paper to you again (full of red inks with my comments, mostly in ???) for you to revise and expound even more. HOWEVER, I gotta give it to you; I felt like I am in the Incan Peru so good job in setting and presenting where teams will be racing.

- P.S. Should I grade bookworm on this one? I loved that you collaborated but this is an individual contest and you praising bookworm for providing leads to task gives more points to bookworm.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1005 on: September 13, 2020, 10:38:44 AM »
DESIGN #2 - Lemontail
Copabacana, Bolivia

- DETOUR: Drive and Enjoy looks fun as the attempt is to present a task that is a fusion of the old customs and new traditions. I like the idea, I never heard of it before. However, as mentioned in your additional notes, what are these rules that we are talking about? What can be and can't be decorated? We would appreciate it a lot if you were able to provide us details for this.

- DETOUR: You are trying to present way too many layers on this task that I, a reader, had to repeat reading a number of times... and I still barely get it.

- ROADBLOCK: What exactly are the items they need to get?

- I like the idea of this potato collection with your llamas. But again, let us try to make this task more specific with what it wants: how many potatoes are need to get the next clue? Why would teams need to communicate with the local population?

- Overall I feel like this leg needs more information and fleshing out, but as you've mentioned you have been busy for the past week. Still, great job in introducing things viewers have no idea on (car blessing)

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • BIG MISTAKE
« Reply #1006 on: September 13, 2020, 10:39:05 AM »
Cocoa, thanks for the positive reviews!
I agree that the wording of the sentence lends itself to a negative interpretation of the Mapuche, I mainly wanted to focus on Araucanía as a center of the Mapuche people and possessing more of an independent spirit compared to the rest of Chile. It was one of the principle reasons I focused my Leg around Lago Budi and not somewhere like Santiago or Punta Arenas. You are correct that the regional economics were not relevant.

I apologize if the Shaman Detour was confusing; I provided one sentence in my notes, along with a chart of the potential symbols, but I am sorry if it's not enough to paint a clearer image. Not much of the dream interpretation is logged, so I backtracked and provided examples of Mapuche symbolism.

Thanks again for the comments! After last round, I really want to strive to avoid overcomplicated tasks, so I am a tad irritated with myself that I didn't explain enough.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1007 on: September 13, 2020, 10:50:49 AM »
DESIGN #5 - nrh2110
Puno, Peru

- Great job at introducing a unique community (reliant on Lake Titicaca's totora reeds). Lay It Down is good as it capitalizes on what's unique in the area (and also reflects the common work and daily life in this part of the world).

- However, the other task (catching a fish) feels like there could have been better tasks that features the Uru people. Catching a fish is not one of them. I feel like this was forced to be the second half of the Detour.

- Teams had to dress up... to just search for the person doing the diablada? Why? Though I love to imagine that teams are in the middle of huge crowds dancing.

- The Roadblock is simply Indonesia's Angklung but now in panflute version. I like it, just as how I loved that task in TAR23(?) in Bandung.

- Overall, I felt like the highlight is the floating community at the Uros Islands. I felt that the fishing task was a weak task, but I am sure it would still be set on an entirely new environment we haven't seen on TAR before. Great job!

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1008 on: September 13, 2020, 10:55:26 AM »
My comments for the last two designs will be posted tomorrow. :tup: (oh boy, I feel like an old man already tired in writing long paragraphs of comments hahahaha)

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
« Reply #1009 on: September 13, 2020, 10:56:56 AM »
My comments for the last two designs will be posted tomorrow. :tup: (oh boy, I feel like an old man already tired in writing long paragraphs of comments hahahaha)

I'm now officially scared of what you're gonna say about my design because I know I probably didn't do well...
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1010 on: September 13, 2020, 10:58:18 AM »

I'm now officially scared of what you're gonna say about my design because I know I probably didn't do well...

No need to be scaredddddd, I believe we all have rooms for improvement :)

Offline smiley

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1011 on: September 13, 2020, 11:43:08 AM »
Aw man, if MrDS doesn't submit... :(

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1012 on: September 13, 2020, 11:57:50 AM »
Thanks for the comments, Cocoa.

The Roadblock is to collect race markers, the yellow and red flags with a letter imprinted on them, as stated on the clue.

I agree with some of your comments. I always try to strive myself to improve the flawlessness of English grammar. Thanks for the tip!
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1013 on: September 13, 2020, 04:24:31 PM »
DESIGN #5 - nrh2110
Puno, Peru

- Great job at introducing a unique community (reliant on Lake Titicaca's totora reeds). Lay It Down is good as it capitalizes on what's unique in the area (and also reflects the common work and daily life in this part of the world).

- However, the other task (catching a fish) feels like there could have been better tasks that features the Uru people. Catching a fish is not one of them. I feel like this was forced to be the second half of the Detour.

- Teams had to dress up... to just search for the person doing the diablada? Why? Though I love to imagine that teams are in the middle of huge crowds dancing.

- The Roadblock is simply Indonesia's Angklung but now in panflute version. I like it, just as how I loved that task in TAR23(?) in Bandung.

- Overall, I felt like the highlight is the floating community at the Uros Islands. I felt that the fishing task was a weak task, but I am sure it would still be set on an entirely new environment we haven't seen on TAR before. Great job!

Thanks Cocoa for your comments! Here's a few things from me:

1. For the Detour, I wanted to focus on the sustainability of the Uru people while also creating something that'd be good to watch on TV. The thing about the Uru people is that much of their diet relies on what they can get out while on the islands, so fish and bird meat are staples to this diet and I wanted to reflect it, and not only that, having them cook on a pottery stove (which most people probably haven't) and eat seagull meat along with it could be good to watch while also staying relevant to how the culture is.

2. The ARI is almost completely for show. It's a necessarily difficult ARI, but it's not supposed to be, and having teams change into traditional outfits (which they will likely wear to the end of the leg for efficiency reasns) and in a dancing crowd with music would make great for promos and as you said, fun to watch the teams run and dance around in the crowd while trying to find it, especially if they have no clue what they're looking for because they'll just be going up to all these random dancers asking for a clue when they don't have any.

3. The panflute task is a bit different from the anklung task. After your comment, I went a rewatched that part of the episode, and the difference is they just had to figure out they needed to put them in size order—which is different, because in this task, there are notes that don't belong at all (there are 12 unique notes in a chromatic scale, the panflute is only 7 of those) and along with that, they have to make sure every note matches. Along with this, they could mess up by completely transposing it. The correct sequence of notes should be D, E, F#, G, A, B, C, but if the roadblock performer doesn't have a great ear, maybe they'll make a panflute that's G, A, B, C, D, E, F—which sounds like it should be correct because the distance between each note is the same, but it's not, every single note is incorrect! In the anklung roadblock, from I could tell, the pile of anklung pieces just had multiples of the 8 notes, not every single note that exists like in mine, so all they had to do was pick out 8 unique sized pieces and that was it.

Hope that helps clarify some things! Thanks Cocoa!

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1014 on: September 15, 2020, 09:57:30 AM »
DESIGN #6: MikeDodgers
Paramaribo and Onverwacht, Suriname

- While I like that there were skits incorporated in your presentation, personally they are quite distracting to my main agenda which is to read the actual tasks and imagine them. Don't worry, they won't affect your scores, just my two cents. But I like the extra-ness this gives tho! Makes you pumped! :)

- I'd like to see how the teams will be covered in shells (and the method they'll use in covering themselves with shells). I see no picture of these shells, so I cannot imagine how hard or easy this task would be? Do we have any videos to show an example on singing of village epic?

- The second RB was okay, but I like the attempt on infusing multiple religions in one leg. But what are the materials to be used in making menorahs? Isn't this just inserting candles into a candelabra? (Apologies in advance to all our Jewish friends there, but I have no idea)

- Interesting take on the Detour -- your chosen angle of your presentation focuses on how the indigenous populace were colonized by invaders

- Hunt and Gather seem to be a task I could do anywhere on the planet with an indigenous population. Nothing from it highlights the Carib people. Live and Learn, while potentially a good task, is something I could also field anywhere with a history of colonization.

- Bold move on choosing Suriname, but I felt like I knew nothing of the place. Or maybe I really don't know something about the place, that's why I found it difficult to imagine how these tasks will play out. Still, I appreciate your move and your interesting takes for this leg of the race!

====================

DESIGN #7: betheactress
Santiago, Chile

- I like how teams are presented with a detour that will let them choose which one suits them best, not like the usual detours we have that is simply do this vs do that. I like that about this Detour.

- I can't imagine how difficult the roadblock is going to be. Maybe you should have provided a video or at least a picture of the actual creation. Though I like how you try to lure the teams into spending more time to gain more advantages (though, for me, these advantages are not good on screen but I will let this pass since the point you are trying to give here is that they need to spend time to get rewards). THOUGH personally I feel like there could have been better RB tasks than this.

- I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the See the Bigger Picture task. Sets up a potential drama and position switching just right before the pitstop. I love it.

- I like the flow of this leg. From the Mapuche's old to the city's new. Great job!

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
« Reply #1015 on: September 15, 2020, 10:28:44 AM »
Going in comment order here, Cocoa:

The skits were inspired by my experience in Alen's games. I was trying to think about what he does to get players pumped for a Race game and he always does it as if it were an actual episode of the TV show. So that's where the skits came from.

For the 2nd RB, the materials would range from aluminum to oak to gold. It would be more of a puzzle based task to make the menorahs.

First RB - couldn't find any videos or images of the people covered in shells or the village epic singing, so really can't help you on that one.

I chose Suriname because it's a never before seen country on the Race and I'd love to see how WRP would handle going there.

Offline eragon

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1016 on: September 16, 2020, 10:36:43 AM »
Design #1 - Bookworm

- First of all, Temuco is lovely! Glad you designed a leg dedicated to this city  :2hearts:, but omg if you've done Chilean Patagonia since it's kinda close I think(?), would've been epic.
- I liked that you provided a flight schedule going to Chile. It just wasn't clear to me after teams landed in Santiago, they have the option to book one of two flights available or is there a sign-up board at Santiago airport?
- Love word puzzles!! This was spot-on.
- I think both Detour tasks compliment each other. Shaman at first glance seems harder and I see most teams doing the Seaweed task coz it's more straightforward. However, I'm not sure if this is the perfect moment to put a U-Turn. It's definitely a death sentence for teams who will be U-Turned.
- Collecting sea urchins? Cool task. My only issue is teams need to go freediving. It's not that easy to dive 16ft especially if teams didn't undergo any training, and having to do it multiple times? I just feel it's too dangerous.
- Perfect pitstop location! Good job.
- Overall, I liked the design. I could see a lot of drama (word puzzle, getting lost, seaweed detour, u-turn), probably some meltdowns and there could also be a lot of shuffles.

Design #2 - Lemontail

- Adding race visuals could mean two things. Either you're leg is bad so you've put extra effort making them to possibly earn extra points you've lost or you're design is already nice and you're just too dedicated to make your overall design presentable. I can honestly say it's the latter.  :tup:
- I believe you can modify and still improve the Detour names, it doesn't have the "oomf" factor. The tasks are well balanced!
- I think you focused too much on Copacabana being a pilgrimage site. IMO, the detour, roadblock and even the Inca steps are somehow religion-related tasks, so you weren't able to showcase the different side of your location.
- The llama/alpaca task is quite a nice touch to end the leg. I mean, it's not perfect to end a Peru leg without it. Nice job!
- Those two above are my only issues but it's really a solid leg for me. Nice location and good visuals!

Design #4 - Nuku

- Yay for Cusco! It's so beautifuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul.  :luvya:
- The tea drinking task is a nice way to start the leg.
- OMG! I love the detour tasks. The detour names are well thought of too. Although the communicate detour can be tiring, it doesn't erase the fact that running around this historical site is quite epic already. I think it's gonna be more fun if teams just perform the dance instead of pairing the dancers together.
- Eating a guinea pig can gross some teams by just looking at it, but surely it might just taste like pig meat. :funny: To see teams struggle in a food challenge competition is always TV gold.
- The Roadblock is unique for me! You incorporated llama in a different way and that's creative.
- I don't think the puzzle was necessary? The leg is already long and it won't fit in a standard 42-min runtime of the show. I feel like it can already stand on its own without this task. No deduction tho.
- Love this leg a lot! Great job.  :jam:

I'll provide comments for the other 3 designs later/tomorrow. Thanks <3

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • BIG MISTAKE
« Reply #1017 on: September 16, 2020, 01:51:43 PM »
Hey, eragon, thanks for the comments!
To clarify:

Araucanía represents the northern boundary of Patagonia, more of less- Lago Budi doesn't quite fall into the common definition of Patagonia, but the scenery is similar enough. Plus, I provided pictures of La Araucanía at the start of the Leg and I think they're quite stunning. I didn't want to go into Patagonia because it has been visited before, albeit sparingly, and La Araucanía represents the Mapuche homeland.

I provide flights to approximate what teams would find. They aren't limited to these flights, but would certainly find one of them on their own as they were booking tickets. They had a lot of possibilities but production would keep seats open on these flights for team to find, as is usually done nowadays.

I agree that U-Turns are a death sentence, which is why I typically don't enjoy using them! However, since this was a requirement for the round, I had no choice. I like that you notice that Shaman is more detailed, but Seaweed certainly requires precision, too!

Thanks for the comments about sea urchins! I figured 16 feet would be fine based on my own personal experience in the water (I swam down 15 feet no problem when I was younger and was much worse at swimming) and the TAR22 Leg in Bora Bora- teams had snorkels, which frankly don't do anything underwater, and dove to similar-ish depths (maybe a little less, but the RB is supposed to be challenging). I made it tiresome to be an exhausting Leg worthy of the endgame and to allow room for teams to move after the U-Turn. I appreciate your concern, but, like I said, teams have rescue divers at their disposal.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline eragon

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1018 on: September 17, 2020, 02:01:08 PM »
Design #5 - nrh2110

- This caught my interest right away coz I've never heard Puno before. It kinda excites me what you're gonna show.
- The detour doesn't really excite me. Lay It Down reminds me of TAR26 Roadblock in Huanchaco where teams had to row the reed boat to retrieve their next clue attached to the buoy. I felt it's a pretty linear and boring task. The only thing appealing to this task is the reed boat itself. Yeah, it looks quite hard watching teams do it, but I don't think it's as iconic as the Plow (TAR5) detour or the haybale RB to feature the same task again. While in Pull It Up, I also thought it wasn't something I'm amazed about. It kinda lacked information too like what specific fish are they gonna catch (if there are multiple species living there). Despite saying all these, it's a well-balanced detour and teams being U-Turned won't get that far behind, I believe.
- I was gonna ask questions about the diablada task but you answered it perfectly in your notes section. I quite like this task tbh. One of South America's selling point to me personally are the color festivals! Seeing this on TV would definitely put a smile on my face.  :luvya:
- I also like this Roadblock. Usually, when you put music and puzzle together, it can create a magical harmony that can cause some teams trouble. This reminded me of the TAR23 Roadblock in Indonesia, one of the best meltdowns in TAR history.  :lol:
- Overall, I think there are things you can improve on. Maybe give more specifics about the tasks and considered what were featured on TAR before. Having said that, I still enjoyed reading your design and I'm sure your grandparents will be proud.

Design #6 - MikeDodgers

- Suriname is an interesting choice! Props to you for choosing that coz I think this is less popular and something I wouldn't expect given there are better options out there.
- Woah. A U-Turn vote at the start line? That's a bold choice, but gonna be intense. Good call.
- No offense. I think having both roadblocks tackle religion or offering something to a specific god is such an overkill. I'm pretty sure there are other unique activities or customs/traditions Suriname can showcase. Just my two cents. But, I like the first Roadblock than the second one. I was just a little bit confused how teams would cover themselves in shells. Maybe you should've provided visuals? Looks fun tho.
- I also like both detour tasks. I wasn't overly excited when I read it, but I think you were able to represent the two eras of "indigenous civilizations".
- By choosing Suriname, you've taken a huge challenge already. I really appreciate your effort designing this leg coz I personally would've struggled. Lol. The question now is, did it pay off? Maybe.

Design #7 - betheactress

- You're the only person who chose to design a leg in the Capital city! Omg. I love your courage.
- The visuals are stunning!  :luvya:
- Detour is nice! I like the fact that teams know exactly what's up, so it gives them more freedom to choose which task suits their skill set as a team.
- I don't think "he had built for his mistress" was worth mentioning. Lol.
- I like the "privilege" part of the Roadblock, it's like facing a dilemma. Are you gonna be more greedy and earn advantages or will you value your current time/position in the race and possibly catch/get ahead with the other teams. Cool idea.
- OMG! I super love this task. That sketchpad will sure come in handy. ;) Sneaky, sneaky! Lol.
- This was a great design from start to finish. Well, I guess part of it was the city you've chosen is way easier to design that others, but still this was awesome! Definitely a strong candidate to win this round.

Offline eragon

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1019 on: September 17, 2020, 02:02:23 PM »
Hey, eragon, thanks for the comments!
To clarify:

Araucanía represents the northern boundary of Patagonia, more of less- Lago Budi doesn't quite fall into the common definition of Patagonia, but the scenery is similar enough. Plus, I provided pictures of La Araucanía at the start of the Leg and I think they're quite stunning. I didn't want to go into Patagonia because it has been visited before, albeit sparingly, and La Araucanía represents the Mapuche homeland.

I provide flights to approximate what teams would find. They aren't limited to these flights, but would certainly find one of them on their own as they were booking tickets. They had a lot of possibilities but production would keep seats open on these flights for team to find, as is usually done nowadays.

I agree that U-Turns are a death sentence, which is why I typically don't enjoy using them! However, since this was a requirement for the round, I had no choice. I like that you notice that Shaman is more detailed, but Seaweed certainly requires precision, too!

Thanks for the comments about sea urchins! I figured 16 feet would be fine based on my own personal experience in the water (I swam down 15 feet no problem when I was younger and was much worse at swimming) and the TAR22 Leg in Bora Bora- teams had snorkels, which frankly don't do anything underwater, and dove to similar-ish depths (maybe a little less, but the RB is supposed to be challenging). I made it tiresome to be an exhausting Leg worthy of the endgame and to allow room for teams to move after the U-Turn. I appreciate your concern, but, like I said, teams have rescue divers at their disposal.

Thanks, Bookworm! I appreciate your response, will strongly consider this when I submit my scores later. :)

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #1020 on: September 18, 2020, 06:25:00 AM »

Kamineko's Comments

First, I'm sorry for being so late to post my comments.

My comments are done. In general, I actually hoped to see more varied countries, but it seems that some countries are obvious choices. There are some good and some not too good legs in my opinion, and this is already Round 5, so I really hope that you all up your game in the upcoming last two rounds of this game.

Once again, this is my personal opinion. It might be different from the other judges. If you have some issues in my comments that you already provided in your design but I somehow missed, you can state that, and I will adjust my score.

I'm going to give my comments based on the order of the designs posted in the Design Showcase.

Here we go!
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #1021 on: September 18, 2020, 06:25:31 AM »

Kamineko's Comments

Design #1: Bookworm [Temuco and Lago Budi, Chile]

Show content
   - I like that you picked a new location in Chile, but I don’t really fond of the idea of mentioning that Araucanía is the poorest region while mentioning its breathtaking scenery.

- The first ARI is really solid, especially when the poem author is related with the location they’re in. I wonder if teams were told about the aid that existed, but considering there are 

- The throwing ARI is not new in concept. It’s there just to add more indigenous themed tasks, but considering there are more to come, I can see this task edited out since the chance of position shuffling is not that big.

- For your Detour, I like the idea for the seaweed task, and making those bales can be hard if they don’t know how to tie the seaweed properly. In what way will they deliver the seaweed bales? On foot? For the shaman task, from your description, it sounds like it will take a longer time to complete, since there are so many things to do, but I like it regardless. Also, for presentation sake, I would like you to separate each Detour with some spaces (or at least like “===”) between them. Because, at first I am confused to determine where is the start of the second Detour option description. Your U-Turn placement is also nice since it’s near to both Detour locations.

- For the Roadblock task, I don’t love it nor dislike it. It’s just a mediocre task in my opinion, especially this late in the competition. Also, considering that the Detour and the pre-Detour ARI have already featured much of the round’s main theme, I think you can opt for other things for the Roadblock later. I also have some concern that some teams may not be able to do the free dive. It can cause a drama if they really can do it, but I hope some teams can opt for using an oxygen tank but with a time cost for the extra preparation. 

- For my last comments, I like that you pick an interesting location for this round and I like that you highlight the main theme for this round. I have some minor concern with the Roadblock, but it’s not really affecting my scores I believe. But regardless, I think it’s a nice effort from you to highlight this off the beaten path area in Chile, at least in my knowledge.

Design #2: Lemontail [Copacabana, Bolivia]

Show content
   - I love your starting location since we haven’t seen a Belize leg before.

- I like the idea of the cryptic clue from the start. But I’m not sure that all teams will know directly where they should fly to and how to go to the town from the airport.

- For the Detour, I like the car decorating task since it will look nice on screen. Also, buying props for the decoration can add more challenge to some teams. What rules do they have to follow anyway? For the second Detour option, I don’t really see the relation of the name and the main task. What’s the purpose of them learning how to play the flute if the remaining parts of the task aren’t related with that? I would love to know the names of the planets in the language that you mention as well.

- The Roadblock sounds like a scavenger hunt typed task, please correct me if I’m wrong. I’m kinda confused with what you meant by “route markers” here. Perhaps you meant the materials for the pilgrimage? I just cannot really imagine how this task will play out.

- Your next location is good and I like that teams have to travel by boat in the middle of the race. This can make the U-Turned teams catch up with others as well. The stair-climbing task is also nice to watch since it’s already the second half of the leg and teams should be really tired after the Detour and Roadblock tasks.

- The ARI task with the llamas is another scavenger hunt task and kinda reminds me of TAR12 Leg 1 infamous donkey task. But actually I prefer that this task becomes the Roadblock instead of an ARI, because handling animals by yourself can be interesting to watch on screen.

- For my final comments, it’s clear that you’re rushed with your submission. I think that it’s okay to submit late even with a -1 penalty rather than submitting a mediocre leg. If you want to submit on time with some mistakes in your presentation, that can cause a bigger reduction for your score. It’s just my personal opinion, especially that you mentioned that you’re pretty busy these times.

Design #4: Nuku [Sacred Valley, Peru]

Show content
   - Your choice is Cusco, Peru. This location is an easy pick in my opinion. Hopefully you can deliver a well made leg.

- The first ARI just serves as an intermezzo before the real tasks start, much like the one in TAR29’s Norway leg.

- I really like the concept for both Detour tasks. I like the celebration task since it’s not the usual concept. But I would like to know all five dances and all five costumes that you mentioned as well. For the navigation task, I would like if you draw (just use Paint or any photo editing app) the route that they have to take and approximately where the items are hidden. What message do they have to memorize too? You didn’t provide much detail about this.

- The Blind Double U-Turn is also fit better since teams can use the power without letting anyone else know, considering both Detour tasks look challenging.

- The ARI at the village is another consuming a local food (following the first one that involves a local drink). I’ll just pick one (preferably this one) if I were you.

- For the Roadblock task, I don’t understand the “the textile that represents the llama” part. Maybe you should provide a picture as an example? Also, having teams to go back and do the weaving from the start seems pretty harsh because I believe that a weaving task can take a long time to complete.

- The final ARI requires them to complete a puzzle of an Incan temple. I believe that the picture was taken from a Survivor task, so I find this task underwhelming and not really necessary considering there are so many tasks preceding this. It won't fit the usual ±40 minutes airing time.

- I like the idea of following a sound of a panflute that will lead them to the Pit Stop.

- For my final comments, I like your tasks, although there are lacks of details here and there. I think having 3 ARI tasks is too much. Just choosing 1 or 2 tasks are enough, but make sure that they are relevant and necessary, or just don’t include that.

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #1022 on: September 18, 2020, 06:26:01 AM »

Kamineko's Comments

Design #5: nrh2110 [Puno, Peru]

Show content
   - I like that you’re choosing a different location, as well as a never before visited place in Peru. The Uros Floating Islands are also a nice location to visit.

- Let’s jump on to the Detour. For the “Lay It Down” task, how do they measure a bundle of reed anyway? That task doesn’t seem really complicated, it’s a simple and straightforward task. For the “Pull It Up” task, I’m not really fond of a fishing task since it’s a nondeterministic timed task, but considering it’s just one fish I’ll let it pass. But what kind of dish do they have to cook? I would prefer if you provide a picture of the finished dish or a link of the recipe, if any. The Double U-Turn placement is also okay since it’s near both Detour tasks.

- Back to Puno, they have to find a person doing a diablada dance from a crowd of dancers. Thankfully you provided a video link for the example, but I prefer you also mention the exact time where the performer appears on the video.

- For the Roadblock, I really like the concept. It’s similar to TAR23’s Angklung task, but different in terms of what they should do. For a team member who’s deaf (like Luke) or tone deaf will really struggle, though. Assembling the panflute can be hard if they are not skilled enough. In summary, I think this task is pretty solid.

- For my final comments, I believe this leg is not bad at all. The tasks are solid and straightforward. The Double U-Turn is also well placed that can give a chance for the U-Turned teams to catch up. I think you just showcased a different side of Peru that I’m not aware of, and I’m really pleased with that.

Design #6: MikeDodgers [Paramaribo and Onverwacht, Suriname]

Show content
   - First, I just want to say that I’m glad that you picked a country that’s never been visited before and even rarely mentioned. But I really hope that you can showcase a good leg for this.

- I see that you’re designing a first leg. I’m not saying it’s not good, but considering that there’s a U-Turn requirement as well, I hope you won’t disappoint me with that. The U-Turn vote at the Starting Line is not good because teams haven’t had any idea about their opponents and this may put some physically fit teams in jeopardy.

- Also, I’m just going to say that here before moving on to judging your tasks. I really don’t like that you tried to follow someone else’s presentation style (in this case, Alenaveda’s style). It gives an impression to me that you don’t have your own original style and you’re just mimicking others. Doing this style of presentation makes me feel that I’m looking and judging at Alen’s leg, even though it’s yours. If Alen is still judging this game, I don’t want to imagine what he would say looking at your design here. I really hope that you can find your own style of presentation and not mimic others anymore.

- Your first task in the Starting Line is okay, nothing really impressive. But at least it fits the Starting Line location and searching through those small die-cast cars can be hard in the rush.

- The first Roadblock in Suriname is not bad. Although the link you provided is just too long. I would’ve preferred a video or a picture of the performance here. Also, I don’t feel that connection with the indigenous people here from your presentation, compared with other designs.

- Following the first Roadblock, is a second Roadblock. I really don’t understand why you’re doing a Jewish themed task in Suriname. I don’t think this task is necessary to be included in this leg.

- Moving on to the Detour. For the “Hunt and Gather” task, I think it’s decent and pretty straightforward. For the “Live and Learn” task, I don’t have any idea about the game you mentioned.

- My nightmare comes true after all. You put the U-Turn board before the Pit Stop, which means a “death sentence” to those who are U-Turned, which I really don’t like. Also, considering that you’re designing a 1st leg just adding fuel to the fire.

- For my final comments, I'm kinda disappointed with this leg, although I had a big hope about this country. Your leg is not impressive this time because you put things that grind my gear, especially the U-Turn before the Pit Stop part. Remember that this is already Round 5 and the next round is the penultimate leg. If you want to reach the final, you should up your game. :tup:

Design #7: betheactress [Santiago, Chile]

Show content
   - I like your bold move to design a leg in a city, especially the theme of this round relates with the indigenous people.

- At the Starting Line, there’s a Voting U-Turn. I want to know more about the mechanic for this Voting U-Turn, like why you only mentioned the 2nd highest tie scenario. Is there no chance of a tie for the 1st place? There’s also a chance that all teams will face a U-Turn if all get one vote, right?

- Moving on to Santiago the next morning, I like the greetings from the Mapuche people involved here.

- Let’s move to the Detour. For the “Bikes & Beans” task, the challenging part of the task is the cycling part, but the second part is pretty much a pure luck task and should not take really long to complete. I wonder if the bike track is similar to the one in the picture since if it’s the exact location then I don’t think any team can pass each other. For the “Cable Cars & Cieuca” task, it requires more effort to complete compared to the first option. It’s not good, but it’s not bad either. Although both choices are nice, maybe I hoped to see more varying culture themed task rather than picking two game-related tasks.

- For the Roadblock, the task sounds pretty straightforward, so it’s pretty solid. I wonder if the extra prizes can be claimed by all teams, since if everyone is attempting to get the Express Pass, there will be an Express Pass galore for the future legs which will become really underwhelming. I would prefer that if there are quotas for each prize.

- I really like the “See the Bigger Picture” task. This looks perfect on text and on screen, especially that it gives a chance for the U-Turned team to possibly catch up with the others. Good job on coming up with this idea!

- For my final comments, I believe that this leg is really solid. Both Detour tasks are basically a local game combined with a navigate task, so I’m not fully impressed with that. I like your Roadblock with a minor issue with the quotas of the prizes, but I adore your last ARI task. This leg is definitely in the upper tier, but I still think your previous leg in the previous round is better than this one.

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
« Reply #1023 on: September 18, 2020, 09:01:22 AM »
Kami, thank you for the comments. I was trying to go for an overarching theme for the opening leg. The theme I was trying to go for was the role of the indigenous people in our society and what happened to them. What can we learn from their ultimate fate to be better in the future? That'll be a theme for the season I have planned - progress. We are all one world, multiple societies with their own story to tell. We've also made our share of mistakes and the theme of the season is what we can learn from those mistakes to make the progress that we want to see in the future. As the season progresses, there'll be a gradual look ahead into more advanced civilizations, more tasks in futuristic like cities and the final leg I have planned will be a complete look ahead into the future with the theme of 'Dreams Come True'.

Sidenote: The final leg I have planned is NOT my round 1 leg.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Round 4 Design Showcase on Page 35
« Reply #1024 on: September 18, 2020, 10:37:17 AM »

Gamer's Judgments:

My comments will be quite minimal since there’s no point in beating around the bush - all of you are through the next round because of the DQs/Quits. Instead take this time to see what went wrong and what went right. Great job, and apologies for the delay in posting my comments.

Bookworm [Temuco & Lago Budi, Chile]

Show content
Your opening poem task is a nice short brain teaser to kick off the leg. The wooden target Route Info is basic but short, a good way to welcome teams into the village.

Your Detour is cultural and the tasks are good. Physical vs. Slow. My main problem with the Detour is really just that this is one of the very rare cases where I think having the U-Turn before the Detour would work. It’s a matter of personal opinion, but I personally think that the cryptic clue + Route Info earlier would be enough to shuffle placements, and if a team is U-Turned here, they can be more strategic with deciding what to do first. Do they conserve their energy for the physical task by doing the slower one first, or do they go all out and then use the slower Detour as a chance to be more calm under pressure? Just my personal opinion.

Your Roadblock is right after the Double U-Turn, and my main problem with the RB is that I think it has the potential to be linear, which means the U-Turned teams might be screwed from the get-go, it would come down to who finishes their U-Turn first. I think your RB could have benefitted if you made teams drive to a location, but the task itself doesn’t really seem like it has room for a lot of placement shifts. I think this task could have honestly been earlier in the leg, or just replaced.

We then head to your Pit Stop, which looks great.

Bookworm, I liked this leg, but I really just have nitpicks with your U-Turn placement and your Roadblock being linear. I just felt that the start of the leg was nice and calm, and then suddenly the “big major tasks + twist” of the leg are all thrown together in quick succession with not enough room to breathe. I think spacing them out could have done wonders for the leg, but nonetheless, this is a solid leg. Good job.

Lemontail [Copacabana, Bolivia]

Show content
I love your Detour! The cars is a basic decorating task that is ALSO a market task, and I can see this being very chaotic. The flutes work by the sights and the memory. I just think your Detour is very bright, very loud, and very high-energy, and the fact that the Double U-Turn is here means that it had the potential to be very messy.

I said potential because in this case, I actually think the Double U-Turn being somewhere accessible by foot after finishing the Detour of your choice would have worked better than driving to another place.

Your Roadblock is interesting, and I like that it’s a navigation task, but I think you made a mistake with the picture you used in your submission. It’s the RB from last leg.

We then work with llamas and then go to the Pit Stop. I really like your llama task! It’s a nice way to end the leg.

Lemontail, as a whole, I actually really liked your leg. I love the idea of almost all tasks having the potential to be overwhelming one way or the other. The Detour is noise pollution. The Roadblock is navigating. And the Llama task is animal handling. It’s just a very challenging leg that I enjoyed reading, and my only real nitpick is the U-Turn placement. Still, great job!

Nuku [Sacred Valley, Peru]

Show content
I think your Celebrate Detour is solid, but it seems like something that would fit an Active Route Info or a Roadblock better. Similarly, your other Detour feels the same. I don’t know what it is, but I can find some logistical issues with both tasks. For Celebrate, watching the performances might take forever. I don’t know how long they’re supposed to be, and thus I think watching 5 might take too long. Similarly, for the other Detour, I’m confused with the try again part. The challenge is clearly to memorize a message while looking for 2 items. But does trying again mean having to get the items again? I just don’t see the point of repeating that part, it was already hard enough as is, I think that the Communicate Detour would have been better fit as a penalty task. What do I mean? I mean that you have to memorize the message, get the items, and if you don’t remember it when you deliver, you wait out 10 minutes. I normally don’t like tasks with that element, but I think this could have been a good one for it.

We then eat guinea pig (but its not rly a gross out eating task if we’re going off on other travel shows, good enough eating task regardless), and then have a weaving Roadblock. Like Lemontail’s leg, I will say I like the llama, and I appreciate this task.

We then do a short Survivor-esque puzzle before going to the Pit Stop. I have no qualms with the puzzle, but I just think that considering how full your leg was at this point, this is a task that might just be edited out of the theoretical episode.

Nuku, I’m pretty mixed on your leg, but I do appreciate the culture in it. My main problem is really just that I felt your Detour suffered through logistics and planning issues, thus making the leg start off on the wrong foot so to speak, and then I thought the puzzle near the end was overkill. The rest are fine and even good.

As a whole, good enough effort, but I’d appreciate more details next time especially with tasks where specific times are important into determining how long something could take.

nrh2110 [Puno, Peru]

Show content
Your Detour is a mixed bag for me. The first Detour is fine, but I just have some qualms about teams traveling by boat to this Detour and then the first option they see is spending more time in a boat. The other Detour is fishing, which is a personal pet peeve, but I do like the additional twist of the seagull lol. As a whole, your Detour is fine, and its balanced enough for the U-Turn to not be that big of a deal.

The Diabalda Route Info is great. Your Roadblock is an interesting concept because most of the time its just teams MAKING the instruments and not really USING them. I liked it! Like the idea of teams needing to also construct and then ensure that the pitches are right.

We then head to the Pit Stop.

NRH, this is a fine, short leg. I thought the Detour at the start was relatively mediocre, but I appreciate how it being the first thing + the U-Turn makes it more balanced. The rest of the leg is pretty good, and overall, this is a solid effort. Good job.

MikeDodgers [Paramaribo & Onverwacht, Suriname]

Show content
Oh you’re doing a premiere leg. Mike, your presentation with the teams. Too much lol. We’re on Round 5. I don’t care about your fictional teams, and I’m sorry if that sounds harsh but that’s really what I feel when I see your opening.

Your SLT is fine, but I’m not a fan of the first-impressions U-Turn vote for obvious reasons. That’s just not a decision that feels fair at the SL.

In Suriname, we have your Roadblock which is a praying ritual. I know you have an article but I’d have preferred a video. It’s fine.

Then we have another Roadblock. This one is not fine. It’s just a simple task that’s not exciting, not challenging, and just plain boring.

We then go to your Detour. Mike, I don’t think colonization is a good idea for an Amazing Race task at all. That second Detour is just very rough and something that personally didn’t do anything for me while also thinking that its a tad problematic. Your first Detour is just a simple target game. Your Detour has problems more than the tasks themselves because they are not balanced. A U-Turn here is killer.

And then right after is a Pit Stop at an old train station. The picture and the location Mike… it’s just not it.

Mike, as a whole, I’d like to congratulate you for making the next round by not giving up, because that’s what I appreciate about you this game. Not giving up.

Unfortunately this leg is not it. I didn’t like any of it, nothing blew my mind, nothing excited me. As a premiere leg, it is not good. As a mid-endgame Design Challenge round leg, it is severely under par.

Best of luck next round, because this really isn’t it Mike. You can do so much better.

betheactress [Santiago, Chile]

Show content
Your Detour is fantastic. It’s two local games, but with a twist. I really like how its a spin of a typical slow vs. fast Detour, but both options circumvent this by having TWO slow and fast segments for both options. It’s balanced, it’s unique, and I appreciate that this is at the start of the leg as well.

Your Roadblock is interesting. I do like it, but I have some issues with it, namely that I think there are far too many advantages. I like the idea of a risk element, especially on a leg where teams could even risk being there longer if they know for a fact another team is U-Turned, but I think an Express Pass and U-Turn Immunity is a bit too much especially since this is meant to be Leg 4 where there could be as few as 7 teams left after this leg.

We then have a panorama task. I really love this! It’s both navigation and memorization as well as attention to detail. It’s a very very unique and difficult task.

We then go to the Pit Stop to end a leg.

Another great effort from you, even though I have nitpicks about too many advantages at the Roadblock. Your presentation is top notch, your graphics are great, the tasks are solid, and this is just a fantastic leg.

Excellent job.