Author Topic: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Final Round Design Show on Page 50!  (Read 89712 times)

Offline Pi

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Full Member
Re: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Round 5 Starts on Page 38!
« Reply #975 on: September 08, 2020, 11:19:14 PM »
Oh my goodness I didn't see we had to include a U-Turn. Can it be voting?
You are allowed make it a voting U-Turn if you wish.
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #976 on: September 09, 2020, 07:49:42 PM »
Good luck!

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #977 on: September 10, 2020, 08:47:53 AM »

*Open this link to see the realtime countdown: https://bit.ly/3h0bDlT

We have received submission from:

We're still waiting for submissions from:

betheactress
elthemagnifico
Lemontail
MrDS
nrh2110
Nuku

Keep in mind that there's no extension.
You can still submit after the deadline, however you will get a -1 score penalty.

Less than 24 hours left! Good luck! :jam:
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #978 on: September 10, 2020, 04:45:20 PM »
Excited to see what the top 8 have to offer in South America!

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #979 on: September 10, 2020, 11:33:48 PM »

*Open this link to see the realtime countdown: https://bit.ly/3h0bDlT

We have received submission from:

We're still waiting for submissions from:

elthemagnifico
Lemontail
MrDS
nrh2110

Keep in mind that there's no extension.
You can still submit after the deadline, however you will get a -1 score penalty.

:conf: 9 Hours to go! :conf:

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #980 on: September 11, 2020, 07:42:35 AM »
Less than 1 hour to go! :hoot:

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #981 on: September 11, 2020, 08:11:22 AM »
I should have said this earlier but here we go, I'm deciding to resign for this game due to real life's stuffs and priorities to do (since I was supposed to be on the final semester on my college, and also my mental health lel). I didn't lie I moved on from the game before the round 4 result, and real life stuffs got crazier than I anticipated, so I had to make space.

That being said, I want to say thank you for host and judges for letting me play and giving some says about my designs, this is honestly a real fun game that reminds me from the previous game 5 years ago. Real thank you for y'all, this is such a great season. I didn't expect to be go far for this season, and honestly winning one of the seven rounds available gave some great smile for me during the hard time, an unforgettable  unexpected moment for me ( I still ask to myself how I pulled that one off lol   :funny: )

Also good luck for remaining players, this is such a great competition and I am pleased to compete against you guys, one of the thoughest competition in all season of TAR design

what might have been

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #982 on: September 11, 2020, 08:54:19 AM »
We will miss you El, real life takes priority. Take care and thanks for your contributions to this game  :2hearts:

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member
Re: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Round 5 Design Showcase on Page 40!
« Reply #983 on: September 11, 2020, 09:03:17 AM »

DAY #58:
SITE: TERRAZAS DE LA POSTA, PURMAMARCA, ARGENTINA
TIME: 12:00 PM

Toya Montoya: And with that, the fifth round of designing comes to a close! We do have to say goodbye to one of our designers. Elthemagnifico has made the decision to withdraw, and all of us here at Design Challenge hope you're doing okay and send well wishes.

With just seven of you left, the competition is getting more intense. Which of you designed the most impressive South American leg featuring an indigenous task? Let's begin the Design Show to reveal your creations to the audience and judges.

Audience: please, hold off posting until the designs have all been posted.

This is the order in which the designs will be revealed:

Bookworm
Lemontail
MrDS
Nuku
nrh2110
MikeDodgers
betheactress

Good Luck!  :luvya:
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member
Re: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Round 5 Design Showcase on Page 40!
« Reply #984 on: September 11, 2020, 09:04:50 AM »

Design #1 - Bookworm
[Temuco and Lago Budi, Chile]

Show content

Phil: This is Barcelona. A vibrant metropolis on the Mediterranean Sea, it represents the heart and soul of Catalonia. A city characterized by its distinctive blend of architecture more than any other, Barcelona's landmarks attract millions from all over the world.

Phil: And one such landmark is the Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau. This gem of a complex is a former hospital and demonstrates the extent to which Modernista architecture have captivated Barcelona. 5 teams will depart here for the Nth Leg in the Amazing Race!

Phil: Yan & Henck, who were the first to arrive, will depart first at 5:28 am.

Yan: Let's show off some amazing outfits today!
Henck: My backpack is overflowing!
Yan: Fly to Temuco, Chile! You have $30 for this Leg of the Race!

Phil: Teams must now fly across the Atlantic Ocean to South America! Temuco is the capital of the breathtaking Araucanía Region, which represents the northern limits of Patagonia. Araucanía is the poorest of Chile's 16 regions, partly due to conflict resulting from longstanding resistance by the native Mapuche. This province was among the last to be incorporated into Chile, despite its central location, but is today a tourism hotspot due to the incredible natural scenery.

Teams depart between 5:28 and 6:49 am and make their way to Barcelona-El Prat International Airport. From there, teams book passage to Chile.

Phil: All teams are on the same flight to Santiago, Chile! From there, teams travel on one of two flights the following morning, arriving half an hour apart!

Phil: When teams arrive in Temuco, they must select a marked car and drive to the Pablo Neruda National Railway Museum. Named after Chile's most famous son, the Nobel Laureate, poet, and diplomat, Pablo Neruda, this museum honors the rail networks that connected Chile and employed Neruda's father. Teams will find their next clue at the museum entrance.

"Time for some wordplay."

Phil: Neruda first published his poetry as a teenager in Temuco's local newspaper. Today, teams must help piece together one of his first poems.

Phil: Neruda's poem, "Nocturno Ideal," is written on a signpost in the middle of a locomotive yard. Teams will notice seven missing letters. In order to receive their next clue, teams will have to write all seven letters, in order, on a clipboard to the foreman.

Show content

Phil: To aid teams, twelve large, red letters are posted on the sides of trains, tracks, and buildings in the locomotive yard. Teams will only need seven of these letters to write out M A P U C H E, which not only completes the poem, but refers to the local indigenous group.

"Drive to the Mapuche Community on the shores of Lago Budi."

Phil: Teams must now drive a little over 100 kilometers to the shores of Lake Budi. The Lake's significance is twofold; it is one of Chile's only saltwater lakes and it is home to the only extant Mapuche community in Chile open to tourism.

Phil: When teams arrive, they must locate Ina Lewfu, a traditional dwelling, and find the village chief.

"It's time for warrior training."

Phil: The Mapuche made stone weapons with remarkable precision. This hand club, known as the Clava, was exclusively reserved for chiefs, known as Lonkos. Today, as part of their welcome, teams will have to utilize these weapons to break open their next clue.

Phil: Teams will be situated 40 feet away from a wooden frame, from which four clay tiles are suspended. Alternating throws, teams must smash all their provided tiles, with each team member hitting at least one target. Once teams obliterate their four tiles, they'll receive their Detour clue.

Detour: Seaweed or Shaman?

Phil: The Mapuche people have a strong spiritual connection to their natural world, prompting great resourcefulness. Teams must venture into this word in this Leg's Detour.

Phil: Cochayuyo is an incredibly hearty seaweed found all over the Chilean coast. The Mapuche used to rely on it as a protein source, and today it is popular all over Chile. However, this incredibly thick seaweed can reach strands over fifteen feet long, complicating transport to market. In Seaweed, teams must assist in the creation of bundles and bales commonly seen across Chile.

Phil: First, teams must take individual tendrils and fold them to create the bundles. Each bundle is one foot long and must be folded over as many times and as tight as necessary. Teams must fold sixteen bundles to create a seaweed bale, which they must then tie with local grasses. Teams must present both their bales and bundles to a local Mapuche woman for approval. If their folds are tight enough to survive the journey into town, teams may proceed.

Phil: Once teams make six bales, which weigh approximately 35 pounds each, they may carry them 400 meters to Winkul Ragwe, the nearest lodge, for preservation. At the end of their delivery, teams will receive their next clue. If any seaweed tendrils become undone, teams will have to return to Ina Lewku and retie the bale.

Phil: Machis are the Mapuche healers and religious leaders. Nearly all women, Machis are responsible for a variety of rituals, including herbal medicine, dream interpretation, and fertility ceremonies.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0d_CpNNUbg8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0d_CpNNUbg8</a>

Phil: In Shaman, teams must find a Machi, who will give them a wooden bowl to be made into a Kultrún drum. Teams must finish hollowing out the bowl. Once the Machi is satisfied, she will sew a skin over the top to make the drum.

Phil: In order to finish the drum with spiritual significance, teams must paint symbols on the head of the drum. Following the Machi's role as an interpreter of dreams, teams must listen as a Mapuche noble describes his latest series of dreams. Then, teams must ask three shamans, who each describe the symbolism of 5 dream elements. Teams will then choose between symbols displayed on a carving.

Using this reference, teams must paint the correct four symbols on the drum head. If correct, the Machi will play a short ritual tune on the drum before handing teams their next clue. If the symbols are incorrect, the Machi will sew another head onto their Kultrún and teams will have to try again.

"Make your way on foot to Artesanias Llaguepulli! Caution: Double U-Turn ahead!

Phil: Teams must now walk across this Mapuche village to Artesanias Llaguepulli. Teams will then find their next clue and the Double U-Turn inside the craft shop.

Phil: This is a Double U-Turn. At this point, two teams can U-Turn two other teams, forcing them to backtrack and perform the other side of the Detour they did not previously complete.

After the Double U-Turn, teams find a:

Roadblock: Who's feeling sharp?

Phil: Lago Budi stretches into the Pacific Ocean, which gives it its saline character and presents an opportunity for marine life to spread inland. And there is perhaps no creature that dominates Chile's coasts like the Sea Urchin.

Phil: Sea Urchins are a delicacy in Chile and are incredibly common, surviving all along Chile's nearly twenty six-hundred-mile coastline. The first to harvest Sea Urchins were, of course, the Mapuche, and the methods today resemble those used centuries ago.

Phil: In this Roadblock, one team member must board a boat heading just offshore. They will then don a wetsuit, gloves, and flippers before diving into the salty lake water. Holding their breathe, team members must dive up to 16 feet down and harvest Chilean Sea Urchins. Grabbing as many urchins as they can carry, teams must transport the urchins on to the boat. Once teams collected thirty Chilean Sea Urchins, they could close the basket and return to the shore, where they would trade the urchins for their next clue.

"Return to your cars and drive yourselves to Puerto Saavedra. Once there, hike to the top of Cerro Maule and find your next Pit Stop! Warning: the last team to arrive may be eliminated!"

Phil: Teams must now make their way to the town of Puerto Saavedra, on the shores of the Pacific Ocean. This town has a higher percentage of Mapuche people than any other town in Chile

Phil: And on the outskirts of this town sits Mirador Cerro Maule. Just a short hike from the main town, it's known for sweeping views of the countryside and a massive totem, honoring the native peoples of the region. This outlook serves as the Nth Pit Stop of the Race. The task team to check in here may be eliminated.

Maps:

Barcelona

Araucanía Region

Temuco

Lago Budi, Mapuche Community

ROUND NOTES:
Show content
Judges, this was a self-driving Leg, so I gave teams $30 USD to cover the taxi to the airport in Barcelona. Everything else is provided for.

I wanted to include the Pablo Neruda task to create one task that wasn’t entirely indigenous-inspired, yet still bled into the theme. Pablo Neruda lived in Temuco for his childhood and so I wanted to reference his early poetry. I have no clue if a foreign version of the Race (LA perhaps?) did a task relating to Neruda, but if they did it was likely in Santiago and pertained to memorization. I wanted this task to be short since the bulk of the leg focuses on the Race, so I cropped letters out of words and had teams search a historic site. The letters are not to be removed, so all teams have an equal opportunity here. Teams with a sufficient knowledge of Spanish can perhaps get at least half of these letters just by looking at the poem, so it isn’t strictly a linear or chance-based task. Plus, with there being 12 letters, teams will have to use their brains a bit. Teams do not have to spell out “Mapuche” as one word to complete the task, but maybe a lightbulb will go off for one team.

Teams drive roughly two hours to the lake. It’s not a super complicated route at all and is quite direct. I chose Lago Budi as the centerpiece of the Leg because it’s in the heart of Araucanía, the domain of the Mapuche, and has enough tourism-focused infrastructure to accommodate the Race without being too urban or commercialized.

https://chile.travel/en/where-to-go/the-south-its-lakes-and-volcanoes/temuco/lake-budi

The Clava task is just to mix things up and fill out the Leg a little. I feel as if it’s too quick to be an independent Detour option, so having it be a pre-Detour ARI seems fitting. Where there not a U-Turn this Leg, I would have made there be two Detour tiles, which teams had to hit for a clue for each side, 6 black tiles, and two red tiles, incurring a 5-minute time penalty. However, since there is a U-Turn, I needed to make sure there could not be a scenario wherein a team is U-Turned after receiving a clue for one side of the Detour. Therefore, the Detour cannot be blind, and since it isn’t blind, there’s no need to gamble. So there is no chance of penalty and it’s a matter of skill instead of skill and nerve. I still like the task and throwing accuracy is often untested on the Race.

I chose to feature Cochayuyo because it very much represents the contemporary indigenous experience- what was once a Mapuche custom has become mainstream and incredibly popular across Chile. Plus, I’ve personally never seen seaweed packaged that way and it could be a very fun task- just imagine teams carrying blocks of seaweed only for a loose tendril to ruin everything! Teams will use a communal pile of seaweed, so there’s no advantage to arriving first or last. I’d assume the time takes the following length-14-18 minutes per bale —> 42 to 54 min, + 5-10 min delivery —> 48 to 65 mins Detour time

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/cochayuyo-seaweed-chile

The Shaman side of the Detour was tricky to work out. I started off with the task as making the drum, but since Seaweed is somewhat crafty I wanted to add new skills into the mix. Hence, teams will have a bowl like 1:36 in the video and will chip out the interior and then smooth out the sides. As we saw with the recent Tough as Nails finale, cutting wood finely takes a lot of skill and time. Cutting and smoothing require attention to Detour and could frazzle teams before heading into the memory portion. Each of the nobles will have a scripted dream that includes 4 sentences (or two) of real value and some other filler descriptions to ensure teams really pay attention. Then, each of the 3 Machi will have 5 descriptions (i.e. dreams of grassy meadows means the dreamer will find a medicinal plant). Teams will then have to find a nearby symbol board (like that below). There will be more than 15 symbols just so it isn’t super obvious, but the task, while possessing multiple elements, does have a clear procession. I totally understand that I erred with an overly-complex task last Leg and I hope that this all appears parsimonious. Of course, each team will have a different symbol combination for their drum.ee

25 min wood carving + 20 minutes talking and finding symbols + 5 min painting + 10 for each incorrect guess —> 50 to 65 minutes

http://chileprecolombino.cl/en/arte/piezas-selectas/el-kultrun/

The Roadblock, which takes place right after the U-Turn, pays homage to a major industry in Chile that originated with the Mapuche, giving it both modern and indigenous appeal. Sea Urchins are incredibly popular in Chile today and most are collected by free dives. The maximum depth of Lago Budi is 34 feet, which, luckily, is feasible without an oxygen tank, but boats will take teams to depths of 13-16 feet. This depth is still challenging to teams while preventing real risks of pressure (i.e. the bends). There’s a tad bit of fear component in grabbing urchins; even though teams have gloves, they can be careful. Teams will probably grab 2 or 3 at a time, but those with shorter breaths may only take one. This factor, along with swimming ability, provides the variance for the task. It’s a tedious process, but since swimming, carrying efficiency, and time between dives are all big issues at play, I don’t believe that this task is linear. 30 urchins is enough to reward teams that can carry multiple at once without overwhelming teams with 30+ trips down and back up again. Flippers also aid teams to make sure the ability to hold breath is as big a factor as swimming and that teams are competent enough to make it to the surface when they need to. A rescue diver will be on each boat, of course. I predict that this task will take between 45 and 70 minutes, including the 10 minutes to the shore each way.

https://eatingchile.blogspot.com/2011/12/eating-chilean-erizos-sea-urchins.html

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/chilean-sea-urchin-erizo-uni

Puerto Saavedra is just a half hour away from the Mapuche center and features a viewpoint that views both the ocean and the lake. Since the leg focuses on the coastal Mapuche and their customs, a Pit Stop that blends the sea, the lake, and the people themselves, via totem, seems most appropriate. Plus, that little 5-minute hike could produce some dramatic Pit Stop segments!

Overall: Teams arrive at 8:17 and 8:44, task one takes between 5-15 min, Clava ARI should take between 5-15 min, Detour 50-65 (x2 for U-Turned teams), 45-70 min RB, 5 min hike, between 3 and 3 hr 20 min driving --> teams should check in between 1:30 pm and 4 pm. Plenty of daylight for some physically and mentally taxing tasks!

Judges, I truly hope that this Leg exceeded your expectations for the Leg. I was going through a little bit last Leg and my heart wasn’t in it, resulting in unclear tasks. I am making sure that is not the case this Round! I have a vision and, were I to visit every locale in the vicinity I was excited about, teams would be taking a ferry from Argentina and driving nearly 8 hours :funny: Originally, I made a Leg in Nazca, Peru (took me an hour lol), but upon hearing a) Pi’s wish for contemporary native tribes and b) that Cocoa and Eragon recently made a Race exclusive to Latin America, I decided to go off the beaten track a bit. Nazca was too obvious for Round 5 of DC. I have never seen any race of any version dedicate itself to the Mapuche, and I hope I did their culture justice today.

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #985 on: September 11, 2020, 09:06:25 AM »

Design #2 - Lemontail
[Copabacana, Bolivia]

Show content
Leg 7: Belize City, Belize to Copabacana, Bolivia

This is Belize City, Belize. The largest city of Belize, this city was originally the capital of Belize until a hurricane devastated the city, forcing the government to build a new capital city called Belmopan further inland.

This is Baron Bliss Lighthouse, a lighthouse in Belize City. Established in 1885, it has a focal plane of 16 m and is painted white and red. It is named after one of Belize's greatest benefactors, Baron Bliss, a sailor who actually never sat foot on Belizean shores but was impressed with the people's warm hospitality. This lighthouse now serves as the sixth Pit Stop of the race.

The first team to check in, childhood friends Terry & Darren, will depart at 10:39 am.
The other six teams depart from 10:42 am to 11:25 am.

Route Info: Fly to the highest navigable lake in the world and find the city with the same name with a beach in Rio de Janeiro

Teams have to figure that they will fly 2,664 miles (4,287 km) to Copacabana, Bolivia.

Copacabana is a Bolivian town on Lake Titicaca, known for religious festivals and red-roofed houses. It is a base for exploring Isla del Sol and Isla de la Luna, the Bolivian islands with sacred Incan archaeological sites.

Once there, teams must make their way on foot to Monumento Avaroa. You have US$15 for this leg.

Monumento Avaroa is an anchor-shaped monument on the coast of Lake Titicaca in Copacabana, honoring Bolivian hero who fought in the War of the Pacific during the 1880s, which pitted Chile against Bolivia and Peru. He was one of the leaders of the civilian resistance to the Chilean invasion at the Battle of Topáter.

Once there, find a clue box in there.

Warning, a Double U-Turn ahead!

Detour: Drive and Enjoy or Flute and Play

Copacabana has a status as a pilgrimage site, with the one of the most peculiar Bolivian phenomenons in Copacabana: the blessing of cars. Every day outside the Cathedral, car owners of all backgrounds and wealth, decorate their cars with colourful banners, flowers and, on occasion, hats whilst the vehicle is blessed by a priest and doused in champagne (or Coca Cola). It's a perfect exhibition of a religious trend across Latin America, namely the meshing of native faiths and traditions with the imposed Catholicism of the Spanish, by deriving from the indigenous Aymara traditions used on llamas and alpacas.

In Drive and Enjoy, teams have to travel on foot to the grounds of The Basilica of Our Lady of Copacabana, a 16th-century Spanish colonial shrine that houses the image of the Virgen de Copacabana. Once there, teams have to decorate their car and another car with decorations like flowers, banners, and ornaments. One thing, is that they must collect and buy specific materials from a market nearby in order to decorate their cars. They must follow the rules and a mistake may cost them time. Once their decorations are approved by a judge and is done, they may receive their clue from inside of an empty champagne given by the judge.

For thousands of years music has played a major role in Andean societies. Proof of this is found in the countless musical instruments discovered during archeological excavations of the Nasca, Parakas, Tiwanaku, San Pedro de Atacama and Arica cultures, among others, and music still plays a major role in Andean societies to today.

In Flute and Play, teams have to travel on foot to La Horca del Inca, a pre-Inca astronomical museum. Once there, teams have to learn and play a traditional Aymaran flute called tharqa, while riding a llama around the museum site. They also must listen to the sounds of the aforementioned flutes played by several Aymaran people, which they have to meet in order to receive planet-shaped boxes which they must place in an order at La Horca del Inca, where teams have to assign Aymaran names of these planets, Pluto included. Once done, they may receive their next clue by unlocking the Pluto-shaped box with a password derived from opening other planet-shaped boxes.

Additional note:

Show content
In Drive and Enjoy, teams have to pay attention to the rules about the details, what can be decorated and can’t be decorated. This aims to confuse teams with car terminologies, and this forces teams to look up. They also have to use their money to buy flowers from a market nearby, with the prices already negotiated by the production before. This Detour side combines decorating with attention to detail.

In Flute and Play, teams have to learn from a musician to play the Aymaran flute called tharqa. Once done, they would need to travel through the museum site to find Aymaran people singing with the flute, in order to receive the planet-shaped boxes from them, which they would need to place in an order at a marked site. They would have to look up on a manual on Aymaran names of these planets, then place a label over the planets. They may open the boxes once they have arranged the planets in order by using a lock to open the boxes which contains parts of the password to open the final box. This Detour side combines hearing, brain, and ingenuity.

Make your way via car to Intikala

Intikala is an Incan ruins site on the southeastern outskirts of town. In this neglected site, there are artificially sculpted boulders. Its original purpose is unknown, but there are several carved stones with asientos (seats), basins and hornecinos (niches), which may have once contained idols.

At there, teams encounter a Double U-Turn.

A team may use the U-Turn to U-Turn another team, forcing the other team to complete the other side of Detour, though a team can only use the U-Turn power once.

Make your way via car to Cerro Calvario

Cerro Calvario is a hill in Copacabana lined with small monuments representing the 14 Stations of the Cross. Pilgrims visit the Stations for prayer and penance and many tourists climb the hill for its fine views.

Roadblock: Who's the counter?

The Stations of the Cross were built on this hill in the 1950s, when the government decided Copacabana should have more to offer its thousands of pilgrims visiting Copacabana. The trail to the summit begins near the red chapel at the end of Calle Destacamento 211. About halfway up are native priests burning candles and working with coca leaves. At the summit, pilgrims light incense and buy mini replicas of various material possessions that they hope the Virgin will grant them during the year.

In this Roadblock, a team member has to grab several route markers to a pastor, the amount depends on the description of each station listed then notice the words that correspond to the amount of route markers around the site, where they have to get up and down the hill to grab route markers from the stores and peoples according to the amount of the words listed on each station. Once done correctly, they may receive their next clue from the pastor.

Additional note:

Show content
The participants would have to run up and down back-to-back, making the task harder. Also, one thing is that the route markers are marked with a letter corresponding to the first letter of each word, so the participants would have to memorize the words. This task combines stamina, physicality, and memory.

Make your way via boat to Isla del Sol

Teams have to find their marked boat in Puerto de Copacabana to travel to Isla del Sol.

Isla del Sol is a Bolivian island in Lake Titicaca, where the terrain is harsh; it is a rocky, hilly island with many eucalyptus trees. There are no motor vehicles or paved roads on the island, requiring teams to travel on foot to get around. According to Incan lore, Isla del Sol (meaning Island of the Sun) is both the birthplace of their revered Sun God and the world’s first two Incas.

Once there, make your way to the Inca Steps

The Inca Steps is a steep staircase of more than 200 steps leading up to the village of Yumani. Built by the Incas, the stairway also leads to a sacred fountain said to be a fountain of youth.

Once there, find a clue box at the top of the stairs.

Active Route Info: Work with llamas

The llama is a domesticated South American camelid, widely used as a meat and pack animal by Andean cultures since the Pre-Columbian era. Alpacas has been part of Aymaran people’s life, as they depend on llamas for subsidence farming, which is still practiced to today. They are also used to transport things.

In this Active Route Info, teams have to use llamas to navigate through the southern portion of the island to find their next clue. This is done by exploring the hilly terrain to find and bring potatoes. Teams would have to bring and transport these potatoes to an uphill site. Once done, they may receive their next clue from the farmer.

Additional note:

Show content
Teams would have to traverse the hilly island to find potatoes where teams have to bring a predetermined amount of potatoes as listed on a provided list. One thing, is that this task is a scavenger hunt task, meaning that teams have to find and bring different varieties of potatoes from different people all over the southern portion of the island, requiring teams to communicate with the local population. This task combines communication, navigation, language, stamina, and physicality.

Route Info: Make your way on foot to the Pit Stop at Pillkukayna

Pillkukayna, or known as Templo del Sol, is an archaeological site on the shore of the island of Isla del Sol. It is a well preserved two-story high temple which was built into the side of a cliff more than twenty meters above Lake Titicaca. This temple will now serve as the seventh Pit Stop of the race.

The last team to check in may be eliminated.

The outcome:

Show content
Sisters Dina & Nina came in 1st place and won US$5,000 each. Other five teams were safe. Dating couple Josh & Claire came in last place (7th) and were eliminated.

Notes:

Show content
• I was very busy recently past this week, that’s why this leg looks like this.
• Teams departed Belize on July 18.
• Teams took a production provided flight.
• Teams flew via Panama City and Santa Cruz to La Paz, then took a 3-hour bus from La Paz to Copacabana.
• In Copacabana, teams encountered a HoO, with them departing next morning on July 20, at 8:00 am.
• I chose this location because of Lake Titicaca, and I was running out of time so I stuck with this one.
• Nevertheless, this place is beautiful enough with Aymaran culture.
• This location also takes advantage of high altitudes.
• The Detour and Active Route Info partly applies to the criteria for this round.
• US$15 (104 Bolivian boliviano (BOB)) should be enough for this leg.
• The Detour side of Drive and Enjoy should take around 40 minutes.
• The Detour side of Flute and Play should take around 30 minutes.
• I made sure that the Detours were balanced with travel times.
• The Roadblock should take around 40 minutes.
• The Roadblock hill takes around 10 minutes to get up or get down.
• The Roadblock takes advantage of hilly terrain.
• The boats are chartered by the production, having been reserved for the teams to use.
• The boat trip should take around 1 hour 30 minutes.
• The travel from Route Info to ARI takes around 15 minutes.
• The Active Route should take around 50 minutes.
• The ARI takes advantage of the hilly terrain, forcing teams to conserve their energy.
• The Pit Stop requires team to walk on a trail that isn’t mapped yet, but requires a 10-minute walk.
• This leg should take around 5-6 hours, ending in early to mid-afternoon.
• Here are the links about this leg:
https://www.bigworldsmallpockets.com/things-to-do-in-copacabana-bolivia/
https://www.alongdustyroads.com/posts/2016/3/11/copacabana-lake-titicaca-bolivia-guide-things-to-do
https://www.bolivianlife.com/visiting-isla-del-sol-lake-titicaca/
https://theculturetrip.com/south-america/bolivia/articles/everything-you-need-to-know-about-visiting-isla-del-sol-bolivia/
http://chileprecolombino.cl/en/arte/musica-y-danza/aymara/
https://www.everyculture.com/wc/Afghanistan-to-Bosnia-Herzegovina/Aymara.html

Flights and bus:

Show content

Maps:

Show content

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #986 on: September 11, 2020, 09:07:25 AM »

Design #3 - MrDS
[??]

Show content
Has Not Submitted

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #987 on: September 11, 2020, 09:08:26 AM »

Design #4 - Nuku
[Sacred Valley, Peru]

Show content
This is Barcelona, Spain. This coastal city in Catalonia is known for its numerous parks and grand art exhibits and galleries. The city is also famous for its church, Sagrada Familia. An average 9.5 million tourists flock to this city to experience the many great sights.

And it is from this ‘magical’ fountain, Font Magica de Montjuic, below Palau Nacional in Barcelona where teams will set off on the tenth leg of The Amazing Race.

MAKE YOUR WAY TO CUSCO, PERU
WARNING: BLIND DOUBLE U-TURN AHEAD

All teams will now fly to Cusco, Peru. A city that was once the capital of the Incan Empire, is now the hub for tourists travelling to the Sacred Valley. Known for its culture and history, Cusco is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. After the days of the Incan Empire, the city was colonized by the Spanish and is the reasoning for its modernization and Spanish influence that can be seen today. This leg teams will get a chance to experience Cusco and the Sacred Valley, and the people who once lived there and still live there to this day.

All teams will now travel on the same flight departing from Barcelona and connecting in Lima before touching down in Cusco the next morning.

MAKE YOUR WAY TO PLAZA DE ARMAS

When teams arrive in South America, they will search for a common attraction that can be found in almost any local town: Plaza de Armas.

When teams arrive in Plaza de Armas, they will have to find the marked vendor and drink a serving of mate de coca: a traditional herbal tea made using coca leaves that is commonly served in the Andes, especially Peru. The tea will help teams adjust to the altitude for this leg of the Race. Once they were finished, they would receive their next clue.

MAKE YOUR WAY TO SAQSAYWAMAN

Teams will find their next clue at this citadel located on the outskirts of Cusco. Known for its giant walls made of stone, it has become a very popular tourist attraction in the region.

CELEBRATE OR COMMUNICATE
A Detour is the choice between two tasks each with its own pros and cons. This Detour will give teams the chance to experience the culture and history of the Inca empire first hand. It’s their call: Celebrate or Communicate!

In Celebrate, teams will get to participate in the Incan festival Inti Raymi, which is also known as the Festival of the Sun. Many people gather to worship the Incan god Inti. The festival features numerous folk dances, and in this side of the Detour teams will use their memorization and attention to detail to spot the differences between five different performances.

First, teams will watch five different folk dances at the same time. Teams will have to take note of the different movements, and costumes. Teams will then go to a different are where they will find ten people: five people doing the different dances, and five dressed in the costumes. Teams will have to pair the people dressed in costumes to the people doing the folk dance, based on the performances they had just watched. If they had correctly matched the costume to the dance, they would receive their next clue.

In Communicate, teams would get to experience the way the Incas used to communicate with one another by pursuing the roll of Incan messengers called chasquis. Agile, highly trained, and physically fit, chasquis used to have to run over 240km per day through their system relaying messages and gifts throughout the empire. This side of the Detour will test teams physically and mentally to see how good of chasquis they would really be.

First, teams would have to dress in traditional clothing like a chasqui. They would then have to navigate the ruins of Saqsaywaman in search of a message in the Quechua language. Teams would have to memorize this message and recite it perfectly to the emperor in the centre of the ruins. But before reciting the message to the emperor, teams would have to find two other items hidden in the ruins:

A quipu: a device used by the Inca to collect data and keep records by tying knots in the strings. Chasquis were commonly in charge of transporting the quipus to different people.

A conch: a wind instrument used by the Inca made out of a conch shell. These are played like trumpets by many cultures around the world.

Once teams had found the quipu and conch shell, given them to the emperor, and correctly recited the message, they would receive their next clue. If they had improperly recited the message in perfect Quechua or forgotten one of the items, they would have to head back into the ruins and try again.

MAKE YOUR WAY TO CORICANCHA

Teams will find their next clue on the terrace of the Coricancha. This temple located in the centre of Cusco was the most significant to the Incan empire and is where teams will also encounter the Blind Double U-Turn!

BLIND DOUBLE U-TURN

At the Coricancha, teams will encounter a Blind Double U-Turn. Teams will have to choose if they will use the U-Turn or not before proceeding to get their next clue.

MAKE YOUR WAY TO THE VILLAGE OF AMARU

Teams will now head to the village of Amaru. This village nestled in the hills of the Sacred Valley is home to the Quechua people. Quechua is an indigenous culture that are ancestors of the Inca, can be found throughout the Andes in Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Chile, Colombia and Argentina. The Quechua people are known for its unique language that is now an official language of Peru, colorful handmade clothing, and their interesting lifestyle living in the mountains.

EAT A GUINEA PIG

When teams arrive in Amaru they will be greeted by a group of villagers before being offered a traditional snack: cuy, or guinea pig. While around the world guinea pig’s primarily serve as pets, in Peru it is one of the most popular snacks. In order to receive their next clue teams will have to finish a serving of guinea pig.

WHO HAS THE BEST WEAVE?
A Roadblock is a task that only one team member can perform. In this Roadblock, one team member will put their skills to the test as they will get the chance to join a group of villagers and take park in one of the most important things to the Quechua people: weaving.

First, they will have to select a llama from the group. Each llama has a unique name that is represented by a traditional textile.

Teams would then join a group of local weavers and using an example, recreate the textile that represents their llama using the techniques of the Quechua people. Once they had completed making their textile, they would hike half a kilometer with their llama and textile to a group of villagers. If they were pleased with their textile, they would receive their next clue. If not, teams would go back to the weaving station and start over.

MAKE YOUR WAY TO PISAC ARCHAEOLOGICAL PARK

Teams will now make their way to the Pisac Archaeological Park in Pisac. Teams will find their next clue in these hillside Incan ruins.

COMPLETE THIS PUZZLE OF AN INCAN TEMPLE

Teams must now complete a giant puzzle resembling an Incan temple, similar to the one pictured above. Amongst the pieces teams will also find some decoys to make the puzzle even more difficult. Once they had correctly put together the temple, they will receive their next clue.

FOLLOW THE PANFLUTE MUSIC TO THE PITSTOP

Panflute is an ancient instrument that was commonly used by the Incas and Quechuas. Teams will now have to listen for the panflute and follow the music through the ruins to the tenth Pitstop of the Race. The last team to find the Pitstop may be eliminated.

MAPS
Show content

NOTES
Show content
1. Round 5 OMG IM FREAKING OUT!!!!! I'm coming off my best leg yet so i really want to keep improving and I'm aiming for a spot in the semifinals!! Hope that you like me leg and here we go!!
2. Starting the leg in Barcelona... was going to start in Madrid but the flights from Barcelona were so much better so I just felt like it was the logical thing to do!
3. I'm designing my leg in Cusco and the Sacred Valley!! The theme for the round is indigenous groups in South America and so I found the Quechua people but it would have been a little difficult to do a whole leg about the group like i had wished to do so I felt like a nice theme would be to start with the Incas and head into the Quechua people since they are related!!
4. Start the leg with drink mate de coca! This has been done before but it is necessary for teams to help with altitude sickness so it just blended in pretty well!!
5. DETOUR!!! this detour is completely inca themed and it highlights some cool parts abt their history! We have Celebrate where teams observe dances then have to match the costume with the dance. I vision this task that in one bigggg field is where the main dances happen and then each team will go on to their own station for the matching!! this is an incan festival but the folk dances are more related to like the area and the cultures that formed because of the incas!! Communicate i have to give props to Bookworm for helping inspire me a bit for this one!! This is pretty straight forward they search the area for these items (all the shells and all the quipus are hidden in the same place to make it more fair, and the message is just a table with the message written on a sheet of paper). I also understand the ruins arent the biggest like maze type of thing so it is more abt endurance of running around and memorizing!
6. Now we go to Amaru!!! I should add teams are given MARKED taxis at the airport that they keep for the leg because obviously a normal city cab can not bring teams out into the mountains and having teams drive through a city and then a crazy countryside could be a bit risky!
7. In Amaru first things first teams have to finish a guinea pig 1 per team!!!!!
8. Roadblock gotta give a shoutout to bookworm he shoved me into the right direction on this one too!!! once i get a bit of inspiration im good LOL!!! So teams pick a llama and then are given a textile that represents the llama! teams then have to create an identical textile with help from locals so that this wont take 50 years to complete LOL!!! after that teams hike half a kilometer with their llama to the judge so we can get some animal interaction!! if teams are wrong they do start over!!!!!!
9. We go to Pisac and to the ruins and IK it seems very basic to just have some puzzle but im thinking this is a cool task to have their to tie the leg together and we can get some great end of leg drama! im thinking like the roadblock from season 23 in tokyo kinda thing!!
10. Finally teams have to follow the panflute music to the pitstop!!!!! if i do 2 legs in peru, i wouldnt include the panflute here but i felt like it deserved to be included so why not!!
11. And that is that! this is my best presentation yet and i feel like it is another great leg!! im hoping i get to the semifinal because i have put in so much work to this competition and yeah!!!! Cant wait to hear what you think about my leg!!

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #988 on: September 11, 2020, 09:09:52 AM »

Design #5 - nrh2110
[Puno, Peru]

Show content
This is Brussels.

The capital of Belgium, and the heart of the Flemish region. Visitors to this beautiful city can enjoy its worldwide-famous food and also its Gothic architecture sprawled around the city. Also sprawled around the city are its gigantic green spaces, like the one found her a Parc du Cinquantenaire.

This 75-acre park in the European Quarter is distinguished by its beautiful centerpiece, the Arc du Cinquantenaire. It also served as the ninth pit stop in a race around the world.

Billy & Fred won the last leg! They will depart first at 9:40 AM.

Billy: Where to today, babe?
Fred: Let's see...

Route Info: Travel by plane and taxi to Puno, Peru!

Teams must now fly over 6,000 miles to the city of Juliaca and travel by taxi to the city of Puno, high up in Peruvian Andes on Lake Titicaca—the world's highest lake. Upon arrival in Puno, teams must make their way to Muelle Lacustre, where they will find their next clue.

Warning: Somewhere along this leg of the race you will encounter a Double U-Turn. You have 79 USD for this leg of the race.

Billy: Oh no, a U-Turn, babe! This isn't good!

All teams are now on the same flight to Juliaca, departing at 7:40 PM via Madrid and Lima, arriving in Puno at 11:01 AM.

Route Info: Take a boat out to the Uros Floating Islands.

Teams must now travel by boat out on Lake Titicaca to the Uros Floating Islands, a group of 120 man-made islands on which the indigenous Uru people live on. Upon arrival at the island, they will be greeted with their next clue.

Detour: Lay It Down or Pull It Up

The Uru people are an indigenous people of Lake Titicaca who predate the Incan Times. For many years, they have built their lives sustainably on these islands that they have made that are floating on the Lake, and here teams will have to decide how they want to help with this sustainability. Their choices are: Lay It Down or Pull It Up.

Lay It Down: The Totora reeds are essential to this island—the huts, the boats, and even the island itself are made out of these reeds that are plentiful along the shores of Lake Titicaca. However, due to this, the bottom layers of Totora reed of the islands rot away very quickly and have to be replaced every two week to three months. In this Detour, each team member must choose a reed boat and row themselves to shore, where they must pick up bundles of reeds to bring back. Once they have brought back a total of four bundles, they must spread the reeds out along the floor of the island. Once the chief is satisfied with their work, they can search the island for the U-Turn board.

Pull It Up: Much of the Uru people's diet revolve around the food they can catch at the islands, such as birds and fish. Due to the flammability of the islands themselves, the Uru people have to use pottery stoves to cook these fish. In this Detour, each team member must catch a fish. Once they have caught they fish, they must clean it to the satisfaction of the Uru cook. Once they have her approval, the cook will also give them seagull meat, which they must cook along with their fish on the pottery stove. Once they have eaten both the fish and seagull meat, they can search the island for the U-Turn board.

This is the second of two Double U-Turns, where two teams have the opportunity to slow down two other teams, forcing them to perform both sides of the Detour. Unlike the other U-Turn, this is not a blind U-Turn, so teams who choose to U-Turn will not be anonymous.

Route Info: Travel by boat back to Puno and make your way on foot to the Plaza Mayor de Puno.

Teams must travel by boat back to Muelle Lacustre and then make their way on foot one mile to the Plaza Mayor de Puno, where they will find the clue box with their next clue.

Route Info: Find the dancer doing the diablada!

During the first two weeks of February, Puno hosts the Festival de la Virgen de la Candelaria, which brings bands and more than 200 groups of indigenous dancers from all around the region. During colonial times, many indigenous people used Catholic saints, such as the Virgin of Candlemas, to hide their worshipping of Andean deities, and this celebration combines the ancient Incan traditions with Catholic traditions, while also combining various traditions of indigenous groups such as the Quechua and the Aymara. Here, teams must change into traditional festival clothing and then sift through the crowd of hundreds of dancers to find the one dancer doing the diablada, or the devil dance. Once they have found the dancer, they will be given their next clue.

Route Info: Make your way to the Pérgola Jardín.

Teams must now make their way to Pérgola Jardín, a pavilion used for events such as weddings and performances. Once there, they will find the cluebox with their next clue.

Roadblock: Who can pipe it up?

One of the most famous iconic instruments of Andead music is the panflute—a set of bundled bamboo pipes that you can blow into, each with their own pitch. In this Roadblock, one team member must construct a diatonic 7-note panpipe using string, wood pieces to hold it together, and bamboo pipes. However it is trickier than it seems—many of the pipes in the box given are not of the correct pitch, so teams must listen to the musician playing the already-constructed panpipe for reference. Once they feel they are ready, they can bring the panpipe to the musician, who will play it, and if it is constructed properly, he will give them their next clue.

Route Info: Find your next pit stop at Puno's gato gigante. Warning: the last team to check in may be eliminated!

Puno is surrounded by beautiful Andean mountains, which give visitors beautiful views of the city and Lake Titicaca. Here in Puno, teams can find two miradores—a giant condor and giant puma overlooking Puno on opposite sides of the city.

Teams must figure out that this puma is their gato gigante and also their pit stop for this leg of the race. The last team to check in here may be eliminated!

Show content
Notes:

Well there goes my streak of building an entire race  :lol: :lol: :lol: you're just going to have to pretend that my Round 1 submission didn't start in Barcelona because it wouldn't make sense to fly back to Spain before going to New Jersey  :lol:

Anyways...

I knew IMMEDIATELY where I wanted this leg to be. As the grandson of a Peruvian immigrant, I knew it would be wrong to not have a leg in the country where most of my maternal family lives. I figured, whenever someone thinks of Peru, they usually think of Lima and Cuzco as places to visit, and because of this, the region around Lake Titicaca is often forgotten. In fact, my grandmother, who lived for 18+ years in Peru still hasn't gone—she told me she plans to take me to Peru one day and we will do a side trip to go visit there.

This entire leg goes around the theme of indigenous life in one way or another, as you will see.

So for starters, at this point in the race, there are only five teams left. Muelle Lacustre is a marina, so a perfect departing point to these islands, and I figure there's enough teams that a sign-up isn't necessary; each team can have their own boat that they will take.

The Uros Floating Islands I thought fit perfectly for the indigenous theme. I mean, where else in the world do people live on floating man-made islands that are constantly being rebuilt? The Detour I think best exemplifies the theme of indigenous life, because these people are living so uniquely and these tasks are essential to their way of life.

The thing about these floating islands are that they are constantly moving and being rebuilt, so it's really difficult to pick a specific island on a map to visit, but I figure this aerial view gives an idea how far out from the shores they will be for the Lay It Down Detour. You may recognize these reed boats from TAR26, so they aren't exactly the easiest to row, and if they tip over, teams may very well lose a bundle (the picture used for the Detour shows how much reeds are in one bundle if you look at the center man) if they aren't careful. Teams will also have to decide whether they will do multiple trips, they each take two, or one takes one and the other takes three—either way, all four have to get back somehow. The bundles will already be pre-made and handed to them by an Uru person on the shores. Also, if teams tip over on their boats, it will make great for promos!

Then for the other part of the Detour, this can be tricky in multiple ways. a) If they have difficulty catching a fish, which can take a while, b) if, like me, they've never cleaned a fish before, c) they don't eat fish & meat, and d) seagull meat isn't exactly known for being tasty, if you look around the internet, you'll find a lot of people saying it's one of the worse meats, so this will be tough to get down for teams.

I got information on all of this all over the internet, but this Wikpedia page really gives a good summary about this lifestyle and these two detours. (I know Cocoa wants to fact-check this, so this is a really good place to find it all in one place.)

The thing about making a U-Turn detour is that both detours need to be within reasonable proximity of each other, and able to do, and both of these tasks can be done by a single team, and having the entire thing on the same island just makes it perfect.

Now for the ARI, the Festival de la Virgen de la Candelaria is one of the biggest celebrations (for you cocoa, here is your fact check for this task: https://www.frommers.com/destinations/puno-and-lake-titicaca/attractions/festivals) and I figured this adds a joyous moment to the episode and also is very TV-worthy (and will look great in promos). Teams will not know what the diablada dance is (the one they must find will be dancing and dressed like the guy in red in this video), but if they can figure out that diablada means "devilish" it won't be too difficult to figure out that they're looking for a man dressed like the devil, so then the difficulty just comes from going around the crowd finding the man. Again, this is rooted in indigenous traditions and fits the indigenous theme of the leg. Here is a picture of the clothing they will put on.

Now, the roadblock. First off, I picked this pavilion because it's a good place for intimate music performances. One of the first gifts my family in Peru sent me was an Andean panflute, and if you don't know what you're doing, it can be hard to get a note out of. Also if you don't have good ears, you might not hear the correct pitches. If they want to hear the right pitches, they can go up to the musician who will play his panpipe which they must listen to. They will be given a box with LOTS of pipes in them (maybe like 40 or so) and of these 40 they must put together 7 (D, E, F#, G, A, B, C) for a diatonic group. It also helps that as the pipes get smaller, they go up in pitch, so teams would have to be stupid to not put them in size order. If you want a better idea of how these are made you can watch this video. Oh, and teams will have to untie the string if they get a note wrong (the musician will tell them which notes are wrong), so it can get aggravating if you don't know what you're doing.

Finally, I figured that the puma is a location that should be easy to figure out, and with it above the city, it gives a picturesque background for pit stop shots.

I hope you guys enjoyed this leg! Here's hoping I didn't disappoint my ancestors!  :lol:

Flight

Map—it looks a little odd in terms of logistics, but that is only because Puno has no airport, so they must fly to Juliaca and travel by taxi to Puno. If we remove the travel from Juliaca, you'll see the leg logistically makes sense.

Money breakdown:

$40 from pit start to BRU airport
[url=https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Juliaca-Airport-JUL/Jir%C3%B3n-Jos%C3%A9-Antonio-Encinas-533-Puno-21001-Peru]$14 taxi
from JUL to the marina
$3 taxi from plaza to garden
[url=https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Panam%C3%A1-613-Puno-21001-Peru/Puno-21001-Peru]$2 taxi from garden to pit stop
$20 for food, etc.

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #989 on: September 11, 2020, 09:11:05 AM »

Design #6 - MikeDodgers
[Paramaribo and Onverwacht, Suriname]

Show content
Fantasy Game Style:

This is Charlotte, North Carolina. Named for a former British Queen, it was given the nickname 'The Queen City'. It now serves as the cultural hub of North Carolina.

And in the shadow of the majestic Charlotte skyline...is the NASCAR HALL OF FAME. This celebration of the pioneers of the fastest-growing spectator sport will now serve as the starting line as 12 teams will embark on a race around the world for $1,000,000. We're about to begin...The Amazing Race.

NASCAR Cup Series cars are now transporting teams to the starting line. The 12 teams are...

Milo and Melissa, dating from Danville, New York...

Jeff and Pete, MLB Teammates from Flushing, New York...

Bopper & Mark, best friends from Clay County, Kentucky....

Brian and Tyler, country singers from Nashville, Tennessee....

Trey & Lexi, married from Austin, Texas....

Doyle & Todd, father/son professional poker players from Longsworth, Texas....

Shawn & Camila, dating singers from Miami, Florida....

Amanda & Kris, married from Prismo Beach, California...

Chester & Ephraim, Former NFL Teammates from Texas and California...

Toni & Dallas, mother/son from Woodside, California....

Amani & Marcus, married from Pine Mountain, Georgia....

Laurie & Melanie, cosplay friends from Oakland, California...

Which team will have the right combination of brains, brawn and teamwork to cross over 50,000 miles? Who will win....THE AMAZING RACE?

Phil Keoghan: Welcome, everyone. In just a few minutes, you'll all begin the adventure of your lives! You better be ready because this will be the most grueling race yet. The winners of this first leg will win the most useful prize we have ever offered - it's known as the Salvage Pass. Here's how it works. If your team has the Salvage Pass, you can use it one of two ways. You can either give yourself a one hour head start on any leg or save a team, including yourself from elimination. You can only use it up until the 10th leg, so make sure you use it wisely. Now, there's something else. This is a Hall of Fame, isn't it? People need to be voted in to a Hall of Fame, so where better than here to have....A U-TURN VOTE!

Melissa: WHAT?
Camila: ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Phil: This will be a secret ballot. The ballots were handed to you upon your arrival here alongside a #2 pencil. Once you've made your decision, place them in the ballot box behind me. And fittingly, since we're in the hub of all things NASCAR, the ballot box will take the shape of the car of current NASCAR champion Kyle Busch. Everyone, please cast your votes now.

(Everyone casts their votes)

Now then...you'll notice on your backpacks that there's no clue attached. Your first challenge is behind me. In order to get your first clue, you must search through this wall of 1:18 scale die-cast race cars for 1 that hides the flag of your first destination - Suriname. There are 200 cars on this wall, only 12 have the flag you're looking for. When you find one, show me the flag out its driver side window and if you're correct, I'll hand you the clue and you can then proceed to one of the new Ford Fusions parked out front...

...and make your way to Charlotte Douglas Airport. The first 5 teams to complete this challenge will be on the first flight. The other teams will be on the 2nd flight, arriving about 40 minutes later. As always, the first team to cross the finish line after 13 legs will win The Amazing Race and...$1,000,000!

Is everyone ready to race?

(Cheers from the teams)

Ok, then…

Completing the SLT first, Milo and Melissa find their first Route Info!

“FLY TO PARAMARIBO, SURINAME.”

Teams must now travel 2,600 miles to the South American country of Suriname. When they land in the capital city of Paramaribo, they must make their way by marked car to the Garden of Palms to pick up their next clue.

“CAUTION: A U-TURN WILL APPEAR AT SOME POINT DURING THE LEG. YOU HAVE $100 FOR THIS LEG OF THE RACE.”

Arriving at the Garden of Palms in first place, Trey & Lexi find a Roadblock!

“CLEANSE YOUR SPIRITS”

Phil: The indigenous Arawak people of Suriname were known to be a religious civilization known for their elaborate ceremonies. In the race's first Roadblock, one team member must do as the Arawak and preform a ritual paying tribute to the Arawak people's god - the Zemi. They must preform every step of the ceremony - from covering themselves in shells all the way to the singing of the village epic. Once the ceremony was complete, the shaman will hand them their next clue!

Completing the first RB in first place, Shawn & Camila find more Route Info!

“PROCEED TO NEVEH SHALOM SYNAGOGUE...”

Teams must now travel by their marked car through the streets of Paramaribo to the Neveh Shalom Synagogue. This house of Jewish worship is where teams will find their next clue!

Arriving at Neveh Shalom Synagogue first, Toni and Dallas find a Roadblock!

“WHO WANTS THEIR MENORAH LIT?”

Here at this ancient synagogue, Jewish culture is taken seriously and no legend is taken closer to the vest than the legend of the first Hanukkah. This Roadblock requires one team member to use the provided materials to make their own menorah. Then, they must lead a prayer service in the telling of the legend of the first Hanukkah while lighting all 8 candles. Once the service was completed and the legend told to the satisfaction of the rabbi, he'll hand them their next clue!

Completing the Roadblock in first place, Laurie and Melanie find Route Info!

“TRAVEL TO THE TOWN OF ONVERWACHT....”

Teams must now drive themselves into the village town of Onverwacht. When they arrive, they must make their way to the Bigi Poika village to pick up their next clue.

At the Bigi Poika village, teams find a Detour!

DETOUR: HUNT AND GATHER OR LIVE AND LEARN?

Suriname has a rich history that dates back centuries through many indigenous civilizations. This Detour requires teams to choose between hunting like the indigenous people or implementing military strategy like the Dutch that colonized this country. The choice - HUNT AND GATHER or LIVE AND LEARN.

Hunt and Gather requires teams to throw traditional Greenwood ceremonial axes used by the indigenous Carib people in an attempt to hit 3 different cardboard animal targets out of a set of 10. Once they've hit the mark, the tribal chief will hand them their next clue. If two of the same animal are hit, they must retrieve their axes and try again.

Live and Learn requires teams to go to the Lagere School in the town of Lelydorp, where they have to find and match the colonies of Dutch Guyana that were formed after the Dutch colonization of Suriname in the 1600s. Then, they have to play a life-size military strategy game, akin to the classic board game 'Risk', against a group of students and capture one of the colonies. Once they've made the right moves, the teacher will hand them their next clue.

“CAUTION: U-TURN AHEAD!”

After the Detour, teams find the U-Turn at Lagere School!

This is the first of only 3 U-Turns found along the race. A U-Turn is found after a Detour. Teams can use a U-Turn to slow down another team, forcing them to preform the other side of the Detour. And since this is a Blind Vote U-Turn, the teams that voted for the U-Turn will remain anonymous.

“TRAVEL BY MARKED CAR TO THE NEXT PIT STOP - THE OLD ONVERWACHT TRAIN STATION BUILDING. HURRY! LAST TEAM TO CHECK IN MAY BE ELIMINATED!”

Teams must now travel by taxi and find this place...the old Onverwacht train station building. This former train depot is now the Pit Stop for this leg of the race. The first team to arrive will win the Salvage Pass! And the last team to check in here...MAY BE ELIMINATED!

Flights:

Maps:

Start Line to Charlotte Airport:

Paramaribo Airport to Garden of Palms:

Garden of Palms to Synagogue:

Synagogue to Bigi Poika:

Bigi Poika to Lagere School:

Wiki-style:

Leg 1 (United States -> Suriname)

- Charlotte, North Carolina (NASCAR Hall of Fame) [Starting Line] [U-Turn Vote Point]
- Charlotte, North Carolina (Charlotte Douglas International Airport) to Paramaribo, Suriname (Johan Adolf Pengel International Airport)
- Paramaribo (Garden of Palms) [ROADBLOCK: Cleanse Your Spirits]
- Paramaribo (Neveh Shalom Synagogue) [ROADBLOCK: Who wants their menorah lit?]
- Onverwacht or Lelydorp (Bigi Poika village or Onverwacht Laerschool) [DETOUR: Hunt and Gather or Live and Learn?]
- Onverwacht (Onverwacht Laerschool) [Must Vote U-Turn]
- Onverwacht (Old Onverwacht Train Station Building) [Pit Stop: ELIMINATION POINT]

The race's first Roadblock took place at the Garden of Palms behind the Presidential Palace and had teams take part in a traditional religious agricultural feast paying tribute to the Zemi, a god of the Arawak indigenous people of Suriname. Under the guidance of the shaman, the RB performer had to perform each step of the ceremony - from covering themselves in shells all the way to the singing of the village epic. Once the ceremony was complete, the shaman would hand them their next clue. The 2nd RB of the race required teams to go to the Neveh Shalom Synagogue. There, the team member that didn't do the first RB had to use the provided materials to make a traditional Jewish menorah, then they had to tell the story of the legend of the first Hanukkah while lighting all 8 candles. Once the legend was read and the candles were lit, the rabbi would hand them their next clue. The Detour for this leg was a choice between Hunt and Gather or Live and Learn. Hunt and Gather required teams to throw traditional Greenwood ceremonial axes used by the Island Carib people in an attempt to hit 3 cardboard targets with different animals out of a set of 10. Once the animals were hunted down, the tribal chief would hand teams their next clue. If 2 of the same animal were hit, teams would have to retrieve their axes and try again. Live and Learn requires teams to go to the Adventure 1492 Camp, where they had to find and match the colonies of Dutch Guyana that were formed after the Dutch colonization of Suriname in the 1600s. They must then play a life-size military strategy game akin to the classic board game 'Risk' against a group of students and capture one of those colonies in order to get their next clue from the teacher.

Additional tasks:

- At the NASCAR Hall of Fame, teams were first presented with ballots and a #2 pencil, which were then used to vote for who received the U-Turn in this leg. The ballots were then placed into a ballot box resembling the car of current NASCAR champion Kyle Busch.

- After the vote, teams had to search through a wall of 200 1:18 scale die-cast NASCAR race cars - only 12 of which had the flag of their first destination - Suriname. When a team found one, they had to present it to Phil and if correct, they could then proceed to Charlotte Douglas Airport and get tickets on one of 2 flights.

Details:

- A rundown of the ritual for the first RB can be found here: http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/43a/100.html
- Here's the story teams have to recite for the 2nd RB (can be found under 'Miracle of the Oil'): https://reformjudaism.org/history-hanukkah-story
- The Dutch colonies for the Military Strategy Detour are Essequibo, Demerara, Surinam, Burbice and Cayenne. More than one team can take the same colony in the game as there are 12 stations, 1 for each team.
- There is an HoO at the first RB - opens at 9 AM
- The leg features tasks centered around 2 indigenous people: The Arawaks, who were a more religious society; and the Island Caribs, who were a hunter/gatherer society.
- This also features a task based around the Dutch colonization of Surinam in the 1600s

I hope my notes clear things up for you. I wish everyone the best of luck in this round.

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #990 on: September 11, 2020, 09:12:28 AM »

Design #7 - betheactress
[Santiago, Chile]

Show content

These are the Falkland Islands. Commonly known as the British gateway to the Antarctic, the islands have been disputed by both Argentina and the UK, despite the UK exercising sovereignty since 1833. In 1982 the Argentine government invaded the islands to mobilize patriotic feelings to divert from economic problems. The subsequent unofficial war lasted 2 months and ended with a British victory. The aftermath had strong impacts on the islands, with Britain reinforcing the military base and increasing opposition to Argentina rule in the archipelago. In addition, the landmines planted by Argentine forces to block off beaches have inadvertently become penguin havens, however the shifting winds on the sand can reveal them and they can be set off with daunting consequences.

In the capital of Stanley lies the Christ Church Cathedral. This church is the southernmost Anglican cathedral in the world, and in front of the church is a whale bone arch made to commemorate 100 years of British rule. This was the 3rd Pit Stop in a race around the world!

Kim & Michele, who were the first to arrive at the end of the last leg, will depart first at 9:49AM.

Kim: Fly to Santiago, Chile!

Teams must now fly 1,800 miles from Stanley with a population of 3,000 to the Chilean capital of Santiago with a population of 6 million. The contemporary city is sandwiched in between the snowcapped mountains and the Chilean Coast Range. It's lined by numerous hills and winding colorful streets.

Before teams leave the Pit Start, they encounter a VOTING U-TURN. They must cast their vote for the team they want to U-Turn. The two teams with the most votes will encounter a U-Turn this leg, and if there is a tie for the 2nd highest, then all teams involved in the tie will be U-Turned.

Teams will drive to RAF Mount Pleasant airport on East Falkland. Once there, they will board LATAM Flight 894 to Santiago, connecting in Punta Arenas and arriving at 9:44PM.

When teams land in Santiago, they must make their way by taxi to Parque Dumont. This park is at the base of San Cristóbal Hill, which lies about 300m above Santiago. It's one of the most well known spots in Santiago thanks to the statue of the Virgin Mary. Teams will find their next clue here. Teams have $120 for this leg of the race.

Near midnight, teams arrive at the park and find a sign that says:

"RECEIVE YOUR NEXT CLUE HERE AT SUNRISE AS YOU WELCOME THE SUN BACK"

As the sun starts to rise over the Andes, teams gather in the park awaiting their clue. They witness the welcoming of the sun, or the We Tripantu, celebrated by the Mapuche people near the winter solstice to welcome back the sun.

The Mapuche people are a group of indigenous inhabitants of modern day Chile and Argentina. They make up 80% of the Chilean indigenous population, largely due to their keeping their culture and not assimilating as they were not conquered until the late 1800s. While they are originally from southern Chile, many of them migrated to Santiago naturally for better prospects. They still hold their traditional culture values to heart, which is shown by the annual celebration of We Tripantu in Santiago.

We Tripantu, or Wiñoy Tripantu is the Mapuche celebration of the return of the sun. It is traditionally held on the June solstice, which is winter in the southern hemisphere. The sun is "born" in winter and grows throughout spring before fading away in fall. As the sun rises on the winter solstice, the Mapuche go down to the rivers and rinse away all the negative energy they've accumulated through the year. They become renewed when the sun rises for the first time. The rest of the day is spent celebrating in the community, enjoying food and playing games and taking part in a parade procession showcasing the Mapuche textiles, drums and pride. Teams will receive their next clue from a Mapuche chief following the conclusion of the parade.

A Detour is a choice between two tasks, each with their own pros and cons. In this detour, teams will have to choose their method of ascending the San Cristóbal Hill. The choice, Bikes and Beans or Cable Cars and Cieuca.

In Bikes and Beans, teams will take the hard way up the hill - manual labor. They must ride bikes to the top of the hill, a roughly 5 kilometer ride that goes constantly uphill albeit with a lot of switchbacks. When they get to the top, they'll meet more Mapuche who will invite them to play a game of awar kuden: a child game where each opponent drops 8 beans hoping to land on the colored side up. Each time all 8 beans land colored side up, they earn 2 points. If half of them land colored side up, they earn 1 point. When teams earn 10 points, they'll receive their next clue and gondola tickets that will take them down the mountain. While bike riding may not be preferable, the game teams have to play is easy as they will constantly make progress.

In Cable Cars and Cieuca, teams will make their way on foot to the nearby football fields. There, teams must face off against local Mapuche teenagers and play the common past time of the Mapuche people - cieuca, otherwise known as palin. Similar to ice hockey, the game involves players wielding wooden sticks and trying to maneuver the ball into the opposing teams' goal. When teams can score one goal against the 3 teens, they will receive tickets to the cable car that will take them to the top of the hill, where they will find their next clue. While this challenge gives teams a quick 15 minute ride up the mountain, they'll be exerting themselves to win the cieuca match, which could take some time.

Teams must now make their way to nearby La Chascona in Barrio Bellavista. This was the former home of Chilean poet Pablo Neruda that he had built for his mistress with red curly hair. The house represents his sense of style, with the house being designed like a ship, and a fairy garden in the back. Teams will find their next clue here. Caution! U-Turn ahead!

This is a U-Turn. The two teams with the highest vote (or more if there is a tie) will now have to double back and complete the other side of the detour not previously completed.

Teams who aren't U-Turned must now make their way to Estación Mapocho. This is a former railway station in Santiago served as the hub of Chile's railway network, servicing Valparaiso, Antofagasta and northern Chile during the salt boom. It has now been converted into a cultural center. When it was built, it was meant to signify 100 years of Chilean independence. Teams will find their next clue here.

"Who can see the silver lining?"

A roadblock is a task that only one person may perform.

Mapuche silverwork has its roots in history from when the Spanish settlers would trade their silver in exchange for their cattle or wool from the Mapuche. All of the silver obtained from these and other political negotiations would become the raw materials for the Mapuche. The Mapuche silversmiths would then make elaborate pieces of jewelry and finery as they had no other use for this silver. Most of their finery included three columns of flattened silver links joined by alternating links, with silver circles hanging from the bottom. In this roadblock, teams will have to assemble a piece of silver finery from the parts on the table, including punching the holes in the silver using a hand press. Once they are done, they must link it all together to match the example provided in the hall. When it is complete they'll receive their next clue...

However within the Mapuche society, just like our society, having more ornate silver meant you had a higher status with more privileges. If teams have the time, they can add more silver discs to their piece to gain a higher status with more privileges in the race to come. Said privileges include...

-a sketch pad and pencils for the next task (3 silver pieces)
-50 USD (5 silver pieces)
-Express Pass (10 silver pieces)
-U-Turn Immunity, valid for 1 U-Turn (20 silver pieces)

The person performing the roadblock will have to make a decision on how much time they're willing to spend on this, and teams are not obligated to add anything else to their work.

Time to head the future and head to Paseo Bandera. This road which was closed to traffic due to construction of the Santiago metro, became a pedestrian paradise and in 2018, Chilean artist Dasic Fernández designed the street to be colorful modern art. Teams will find their next clue inside a red ball inconspicuously placed on the promenade.

Teams must now traverse the four block Paseo Bandera and piece together the street at the end. Walking down the promenade, they must memorize the mural from north to south, and when they get to the end of the road they must piece the street together using the photos provided. Teams are not allowed to take any written notes, unless they received the sketch pad from the roadblock. When the road is pieced together correctly, they'll receive their next clue.

Teams must now make their way on foot to their next Pit Stop, La Moneda. Known as the palace of coin, it is the seat of the Chilean president and the palace serves more of a ceremonial role, as congress meets in Valparaiso. This palace is the pit stop for this leg of the race, the last team to check-in, may be eliminated!

Production Notes
Show content
-I chose the Falklands as the start because I really wanted the juxtaposition of the sparsely populated Falklands to the bustling South American metropolis of Santiago!
-I also chose it because it had a flight landing late at night, and with the winter solstice festival that starts at sunrise, it gives teams the opportunity to witness the stunning sunrise and We Tripantu parade. This also will juxtapose the "old ways" of the Mapuche with the modern Santiago. Many indigenous people don't live in tribes forever and do branch out to join society, which is what I wanted to highlight throughout the leg.

-For the detour, it is a version of hard way or easy way but the bike ride should take teams only 30 minutes (45 if they are out of shape) and teams will have to walk 5 minutes to the football fields for that task, and the cable car takes 15 minutes to go up, albeit it is continuous (obviously). This isn't the best U-Turn detour but that's why I made it voting (and not face to face voting which leads to a bandwagon like when Rachel and Elissa got u-turned. This will lead to ties which leads to more teams doing both detours for more chaos!

- The roadblock involves them linking the silver together, as well as pressing holes into the coins to place them. Pressing the coins is what I feel to be the biggest attention to detail component, as it's very easy to mess up.
-Teams are fully aware they can spend extra time to get prizes.
-To clarify, the prize disc have the prize engraved on the disc, so to get both the sketch pad and the Express Pass, you'd need 3 sketch pad discs and 10 express pass discs, for a total of 13 extra discs. This would not get you the 50 USD, which you would need to get the 5 50USD discs for.

- Paseo Bandera video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv1Ac50HxwU&ab_channel=tjalexforever
-I hope to trip teams up with the whole North to South bit. For reference, the roadblock ends near the north side, but they still have to find their next clue in one of two red sphere sections.

- My wiki leg is here!

Cultural links:
https://www.cascada.travel/en/News/Chilean-Culture-Mapuche-We-Tripantu-Celebration
http://hockeygods.com/hockeys/36-Palin___The_Chueca

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juego_de_las_habas

https://chiletoday.cl/site/mapuche-silver-symbols-of-indigenous-culture/#:~:text=Mapuche%20silver%20jewelry%20can%20be,are%20Chile's%20largest%20indigenous%20group.

Map:

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #991 on: September 11, 2020, 09:12:55 AM »
You may now go ahead and post. :)

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #992 on: September 11, 2020, 09:17:42 AM »
This is the correct Roadblock image lol, I literally submitted 2 minutes into the deadline so there's it. And I can't believe that I mistyped Copacabana twice lol. Granted, I was very busy past this week anyway.

Show content
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
« Reply #993 on: September 11, 2020, 09:37:34 AM »
To the judges - I dad a bit of a typo in the leg. It really is supposed to be marked car to the Pit Stop. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

-Theme song from 'Full House' (1987-1995)

Offline betheactress

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #994 on: September 11, 2020, 10:04:31 AM »
Great job everyone  :cheer:

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #995 on: September 11, 2020, 10:15:51 AM »
:torche: el

Real life comes first. Glad you were able to play for four rounds tho, you’ll be missed!

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #996 on: September 11, 2020, 10:46:02 AM »
Amazing legs everyone!

Bookworm and Nrh i loved your tasks!
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • BIG MISTAKE
« Reply #997 on: September 11, 2020, 11:10:15 AM »
Amazing legs everyone!

Thanks Declive!

I loved all the panpipe tasks- nrh, Lemontail, Nuku- especially that they were used in different ways!
Betheactress, your Leg is once again amazing- major props for incorporating indigenous tasks in an urban environment!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Nuku

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #998 on: September 11, 2020, 12:47:40 PM »
Wow fantastic leg again Beth and Bookworm!

Also loved your tasks NRH!!!

Another super competitive round yikes!

Offline betheactress

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #999 on: September 11, 2020, 04:33:27 PM »
Amazing legs everyone!

Thanks Declive!

I loved all the panpipe tasks- nrh, Lemontail, Nuku- especially that they were used in different ways!
Betheactress, your Leg is once again amazing- major props for incorporating indigenous tasks in an urban environment!

Thanks, I feel very exposed being the only major city :cmaslol