Author Topic: TAR 32: Speculation and Discussion of the **SPOILERS** WORKZONE!  (Read 135188 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: TAR 32: Speculation and Discussion of the **SPOILERS** WORKZONE!
« Reply #750 on: September 23, 2020, 05:29:41 AM »
Phil did say something in the cast reveal video that piqued my interest along the lines that the tasks this season will be much more indigenous this season than they have been. As this was part of going back to the basics. And for a season cast two years ago, it is remarkably diverse, even for TAR.
-- theschnauzers

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #751 on: September 23, 2020, 05:33:23 AM »
Agreed, is this the first time we've had half the cast be non-white?

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #752 on: September 23, 2020, 08:16:20 AM »
Phil did say something in the cast reveal video that piqued my interest along the lines that the tasks this season will be much more indigenous this season than they have been. As this was part of going back to the basics. And for a season cast two years ago, it is remarkably diverse, even for TAR.
Now that I look back on the timeline, I don't see any locations after Leg 3 that could thematically align with a prominent "indigenous" route. ???  When I think indigenous, I think really primitive, native, and lacking of complex machine technology like Easter Island or the Australian Outback. It appears to be all urbanscape and cities after that. Could they have traveled to a more niche region close to some of those plane arrival cities?

I feel like Phil has overexaggerated how return to basics this season truly is in terms of locations, tasks, and cast, because I really don't see it in the brains vs. brawns-type cast he was talking about and T&T promo from yesterday. Especially with the editing that they seemed to have stuck with the "Tough As Nails" feel and look.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #753 on: September 23, 2020, 08:48:10 AM »
Kazakhstan certain offers a more local than globalized perspective. There's potential in Hyderabad and visiting Angkor Wat certainly seems to me as aligning with a traditional/indigenous theme. While Almaty and Hyderabad are modern, developed cities, they aren't on the same international scale as Paris, Berlin, or Manila. Indigenous doesn't have to imply isolation imo.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #754 on: September 23, 2020, 06:13:43 PM »
Kazakhstan certain offers a more local than globalized perspective. There's potential in Hyderabad and visiting Angkor Wat certainly seems to me as aligning with a traditional/indigenous theme. While Almaty and Hyderabad are modern, developed cities, they aren't on the same international scale as Paris, Berlin, or Manila. Indigenous doesn't have to imply isolation imo.
I feel like he definitely meant another word like "rooted" since this seems like more of the case. His way of phrasing it on the preview is strange. I'm still confused on the back-to-basics concept since everything I've heard through the RFF grapevine is definitely not that. Teams are skewed a bit for a theme, Yield is returning, the tasks leading to the last hyped foot race (Vanessa & Ralph/Elliott & Andrew) is making a Switchback... it's not clicking to me.
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline OMGitsGARRET

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #755 on: September 23, 2020, 07:32:54 PM »
I'm curious to know -- do we know the layout of how leg 1 goes?

From the promos, it looks like the starting line in LA is a nighttime start.

Then leg 1 in Trinidad & Tobago looks like it contains both daytime AND nighttime portions, but I'm not quite sure how it all ends up going.

Do we think this is going to be a TAR1-TAR14 + TAR28 approach where we finally go back having racing and tasks upon arrival in the first country, plus an Hours of Operation overnight rest, and then the next day, more racing/tasks? Or a straight streamline TAR15-TAR31 approach where the entire leg 1 takes place on day 1 with no overnight rest?

Also, from the promos, I feel like there seems to be a LOT of tasks taking place in Trinidad & Tobago. Unless there's actually 2 legs taking place there and not 1, plus if there truly is an Overnight Rest on leg 1, I'm starting to wonder how they'll be able to show ALL of that in just 43 minutes. Makes me think maybe the previously announced 2-hour premiere was what was originally supposed to happen, but due to the schedule shift, CBS doesn't have enough room to make it 2-hours and decided to just make it the regular 1-hour. So I'm a bit nervous that the premiere will either be very rushed, or have several tasks cut from the edit.

So do we have any clear idea of how the first leg goes, layout wise?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #756 on: September 23, 2020, 07:48:07 PM »
Rachel I think what was said was indigenous TASKS not indigenous ROUTE. IIRC....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #757 on: September 23, 2020, 08:50:30 PM »
I think the father and son team survives leg 1 (they seem to be happy on the beach, and that looks like the end of the leg, or close to it). If so, it would mean Cody/Nathan are out first.

If I remember well the live sighting, the night part of leg 1 comes first, right? on the Trinidad Island, then the next day in Tobago.

Also regarding the rest of the legs.
We know the first 3 legs are elimination legs (only 8 teams at the start of leg 4). Then there was speedbump mentioned by Phil during leg 7, which would mean Leg 6 was a NEL (in Berlin). I think leg 4 was a NEL (with a team being really far behind but being potentially safe). I guess the last NEL is either Leg 8 ou 9.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:01:35 PM by stunami »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #758 on: September 23, 2020, 09:20:12 PM »
Just to be clear, as “indigenous” has multiple meanings. While it’s usually taken to refer to primitive or ancient, there’s a different meaning that has a meaning of “native” or cultural” and that is what I think Phil meant. And the scarcity of those kinds of tasks, was a complaint that was raised, especially if you look at the early seasons, I.e. the ostrich egg roadblock not shown in season one, except as a deleted scene, but used in an aired task in a subsequent season, or the cheese roll. The key here is culturally related. And not generic that could be anywhere.
-- theschnauzers

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #759 on: September 24, 2020, 08:08:16 AM »

Then leg 1 in Trinidad & Tobago looks like it contains both daytime AND nighttime portions, but I'm not quite sure how it all ends up going.

Do we think this is going to be a TAR1-TAR14 + TAR28 approach where we finally go back having racing and tasks upon arrival in the first country, plus an Hours of Operation overnight rest, and then the next day, more racing/tasks? Or a straight streamline TAR15-TAR31 approach where the entire leg 1 takes place on day 1 with no overnight rest?

Also, from the promos, I feel like there seems to be a LOT of tasks taking place in Trinidad & Tobago. Unless there's actually 2 legs taking place there and not 1, plus if there truly is an Overnight Rest on leg 1, I'm starting to wonder how they'll be able to show ALL of that in just 43 minutes. Makes me think maybe the previously announced 2-hour premiere was what was originally supposed to happen, but due to the schedule shift, CBS doesn't have enough room to make it 2-hours and decided to just make it the regular 1-hour. So I'm a bit nervous that the premiere will either be very rushed, or have several tasks cut from the edit.

It would actually suck if it's not a 2-hour or 1 & 1/2 hour premiere. I just hope that the premiere episode is not rushed...
Trinidad and Tobago is making me miss the beach so much.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #760 on: September 24, 2020, 08:21:39 AM »

It would actually suck if it's not a 2-hour or 1 & 1/2 hour premiere. I just hope that the premiere episode is not rushed...
Trinidad and Tobago is making me miss the beach so much.
From what it looks like from the timeline, it seems to be different from most other seasons where teams will arrive on the island of Trinidad (Port of Spain) first at night to do the Carnival task, then choose a time for a charter flight that they will fly off to Tobago in the next morning OR ride the car ferry out of Port of Spain to Scarborough, Tobago.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #761 on: September 24, 2020, 08:28:53 AM »
The way iit was filmed they have a perfect chance to make Trinidad and Tobago two legs. Guess we will see!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #762 on: September 24, 2020, 06:43:51 PM »
With night arrival for leg 1, I think the leg structure will be like TAR28 leg 1

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #763 on: September 24, 2020, 07:44:23 PM »
With night arrival for leg 1, I think the leg structure will be like TAR28 leg 1

Which was??
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Malcooolm

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Ladies and gentleman...Miss California!
« Reply #764 on: September 24, 2020, 11:21:42 PM »

Which was??
Arrive at night, do a task, hit hours of operation, and finish the leg up in the morning
Love, an unapologetic Lisa & Michelle stan

Offline Malcooolm

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #765 on: September 24, 2020, 11:29:19 PM »
Now that I look back on the timeline, I don't see any locations after Leg 3 that could thematically align with a prominent "indigenous" route. ???  When I think indigenous, I think really primitive, native, and lacking of complex machine technology like Easter Island or the Australian Outback. It appears to be all urbanscape and cities after that. Could they have traveled to a more niche region close to some of those plane arrival cities?

I feel like Phil has overexaggerated how return to basics this season truly is in terms of locations, tasks, and cast, because I really don't see it in the brains vs. brawns-type cast he was talking about and T&T promo from yesterday. Especially with the editing that they seemed to have stuck with the "Tough As Nails" feel and look.
I think he just meant that there are no casting gimmicks. Just because he described some teams as being brainier and others being brawnier doesn’t mean that’s a twist...and how is a Yield not back to basics?!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #766 on: September 25, 2020, 08:21:58 AM »

I think he just meant that there are no casting gimmicks. Just because he described some teams as being brainier and others being brawnier doesn’t mean that’s a twist...and how is a Yield not back to basics?!
I'm positive that I've been mishearing what's been said on the preview, or maybe my mind is just too different. :funny:

A Yield definitely isn't basics because it was added on. It's more the nostalgic factor kicking in if I'm being honest.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #767 on: September 25, 2020, 02:17:31 PM »
Maybe Phil meant "cultural" tasks when he says indigenous?

Online Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #768 on: September 25, 2020, 02:30:21 PM »
Maybe Phil meant "cultural" tasks when he says indigenous?

Yeah. I feel like "traditional" would have been a better word choice.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #769 on: September 25, 2020, 04:03:33 PM »
Yeah, in the Manila Leg one of the tasks is a traditional Filipino folk dance I believe. Would be fun if cultural/traditional local tasks are the Final Task, if there is one.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #770 on: September 25, 2020, 04:43:04 PM »
What is it with Berlin and height tasks and neon letters.

Offline PikaBelleChu

• RFF Sr. Member
  • "Pika-Pika-pi? Pika!"
« Reply #771 on: September 25, 2020, 04:57:20 PM »
 :woohoo: :welcome:
What is it with Berlin and height tasks and neon letters.

They looked similar to TAR 22. They did tasks about carrying one of the neon letters to the mall and bungee jumping in a tall building at night time.

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #772 on: September 25, 2020, 06:39:18 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFkkFEoDTGV/

Riley & Maddison's video shows them in the Nylon Pool and rolling bass steelpans past the NP gas station to the Exodus Panyard.

Offline Malcooolm

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #773 on: September 28, 2020, 06:15:42 PM »
Jerry & Frank's Meet the Cat video on Instagram shows Jerry dancing and Frank smiling at what seems to be the Trinidad & Tobago Pit Stop so it seems as if Cody & Nathan are the likely first boots

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #774 on: September 28, 2020, 07:09:59 PM »
Jerry & Frank's video shows them picking up a Roadblock clue at the Pigeon Point Jetty and Frank performing the Roadblock (playing a steelpan with the Redemption Sound Setters)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFsQ-X-j5bd/