Author Topic: TAR 17 EP 8 "Ali Baba in a Suit" (Muscat, Oman)  (Read 78655 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 17 EP 8 "Ali Baba in a Suit" (Muscat, Oman)
« on: October 24, 2010, 12:40:32 AM »
Thanks to prama for the title find!

CBS press: Thanks to the schnauzers!

ONE TEAM IS FORCED TO PLAY CATCH UP IN ORDER TO STAY IN THE GAME AFTER MAKING A COLOSSAL MISTAKE AT THE START OF THE LEG, ON “THE AMAZING RACE,” SUNDAY, NOV. 14

“Ali Baba in a Suit” (Muscat, Oman) — Following a huge mistake, one Racer makes an important decision that will impact their team beyond the finish line and for the rest of their lives, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, Nov. 14 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

Woden's TIMELINE SUMMARY:

EP08: St. Petersburg, Russia to Oman

EVIDENCE: TV Guide confirmation (Source), sighting of teams in Muscat Airport on evening of June 9 looking for flights to Bangladesh (Source 1), (Source 2), (Source 3), Jill/Thomas possibly on 9W 539 from Muscat to Mumbai (DEP: 12:35am 6/9, ARR: 4:35am 6/9) connecting to 9W 276 from Mumbai to Dhaka (DEP: 9:30am, ARR 1:03pm), F/F team possibly on QR 169 (DEP: 11:36pm, ARR 11:48pm 6/8) connecting to UNKNOWN flight (Source)

Film Date: JUNE 8-9
Air Date: NOV 14

Leg Route/Tasks:
ROUTE INFO: Fly to Muscat, Oman and climb steps to Portuguese Watchtower
EVIDENCE: Promo (Source), photo ID (Source)

ROUTE INFO: Drive yourselves to Jebel Shams?
EVIDENCE: Self driving in promo (Source)

ROADBLOCK: Rappelling at Jebel Shams; find oil lamp with ring
EVIDENCE: Promo (Source), photo ID (Source)
PERFORMED BY: Kat, Jill, Vicki, Chad
TIMING INFO: Chad, Jill performing task simultaneously (Source)

ROUTE INFO: Bedouin tea task?
EVIDENCE: Promo (Source)

OTHER INFO: Tasks at or near Blue Mosque, Al Qubrah Mosque?
EVIDENCE: Promo after EP07 (Source), photo ID (Source), second promo (Source)

Safe from Elimination at End of Leg:
    Brook/Claire: Spotted in Hong Kong, likely spotted in Dongducheon, South Korea (Source 1), (Source 2), (Source 3)
    Nat/Kat: Spotted in Hong Kong, likely spotted in Dongducheon, South Korea (Source 1), (Source 2)
    Jill/Thomas: POSSIBLY spotted in Hong Kong, likely spotted in Dongducheon, South Korea  (Source 1), (Source 2)
    Nick/Vicki: POSSIBLE sighting in Hong Kong (6/12), likely sighting as decoys on flight to LAX (Source 1)

Possibly Eliminated:
    Stephanie/Chad: No evidence of sightings from this point on
    Gary/Mallory: Not seen since flight to St Petersburg 6/5
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:07:17 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 17 EP 8
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 12:40:49 AM »
PREVIEW!! Thanks TL!!  :hearts:

PROMO! click on thru to YouTube

PROMO 2 click on thru to YouTube

Sports Promo aired 11/13

« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 07:56:50 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 12:41:13 AM »
*saved*
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 12:42:04 AM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Kaylynn

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Future The amazing race contestant.
    • The Splash
Re: TAR 17 EP 8 "Ali Baba in a Suit"
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 10:04:10 PM »
I definetly think its in Oman.
Casting for Kaylynn's The Amazing Race 1. SIGN UP!
Current Fan Amazing Race
Kevin's Amazing Race- Kaylynn/Taylor
Amazing Race Game 5- Thomas/Kaylynn

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 10:06:55 AM »
I definetly think its in Oman.

Yeah, the title indicates that it's in Oman.

Belle Book

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 12:49:53 PM »
We now have confirmation that it is Oman.  The episode description on my channel guide says "The Race continues in Oman."
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 03:41:31 PM »
Thanks so much!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 05:32:28 PM »
Since the F6 has never gone beyond leg eight (though hey, if they could make a change with how far they took the F7, there's always a chance for a change here), I think this leg will be the F6 elimination leg.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 06:12:14 PM »
Since the F6 has never gone beyond leg eight (though hey, if they could make a change with how far they took the F7, there's always a chance for a change here), I think this leg will be the F6 elimination leg.

Yeah, I'm thinking along similar lines.  If there's a leg in Bangladesh before the Hong Kong and South Korea legs, I'm thinking that Oman's the F6 elimination, Bangladesh is the F5 elimination, Hong Kong is the final NEL and South Korea is where Nick & Vicki meet their fate.

Belle Book

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 04:53:10 PM »
I just can't get over the fact Nick and Vicki make it to the Top4...I really dislike them as racers, just terrible! Glad Oman is the destination, very varied places this season!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 04:55:05 PM »
The title of this episode could refer to a business-like task. Ali Baba, as you probably know, is a fictional character. Oman has no shortage of industry and business areas (or deserts).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 05:01:42 PM by the-pr0phet »
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Levi Rinno

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 06:54:44 PM »
I just can't get over the fact Nick and Vicki make it to the Top4...I really dislike them as racers, just terrible! Glad Oman is the destination, very varied places this season!
I can stand their bad racing for a reason I couldn't stand Andrew & Dan or Brian & Ericka's bad racing -- they're at least self-aware about how their skills pale in comparison to most of the other teams' and know they're not the best ones there, but still willing to try their best to beat them.  Compared to the other two teams, who were truly deluded about their abilities (or lack thereof) and that they were the best teams of their seasons.

So, so, so excited to hear about Oman!  They haven't been there since season nine, correct?

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 06:58:24 PM »

I can stand their bad racing for a reason I couldn't stand Andrew & Dan or Brian & Ericka's bad racing -- they're at least self-aware about how their skills pale in comparison to most of the other teams' and know they're not the best ones there, but still willing to try their best to beat them.  Compared to the other two teams, who were truly deluded about their abilities (or lack thereof) and that they were the best teams of their seasons.

So, so, so excited to hear about Oman!  They haven't been there since season nine, correct?

Yes, that was the site of the famous Camel detour and B.J. and Tyler's frustration. That should be the Switchback if there is one.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 08:44:53 PM »

Yes, that was the site of the famous Camel detour and B.J. and Tyler's frustration. That should be the Switchback if there is one.

Could you refresh our memories concerning this famous camel detour that frustrated BJ and Tyler?
Matthew 7:15

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 09:56:12 PM »
BJ/Tyler got frustrated at that episode's RB. In a field with over 100 underground ovens, teams had to find an oven that had food buried inside (said food would become their dinner for the night  :lol: ). BJ/Tyler arrived first or second, but departed in last, during which the food and stress of the task caused them to have a rare argument.

I don't think it's notable enough for a Switchback, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a task in the desert again.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 09:59:02 PM »
BJ/Tyler got frustrated at that episode's RB. In a field with over 100 underground ovens, teams had to find an oven that had food buried inside (said food would become their dinner for the night  :lol: ). BJ/Tyler arrived first or second, but departed in last, during which the food and stress of the task caused them to have a rare argument.

I don't think it's notable enough for a Switchback, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a task in the desert again.

Thank you Zack, but I was hoping the_pr0phet would give us HIS account.....since he mentined it.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 10:08:49 PM »
In the Camel Detour, teams had to lift a camel into a pickup truck using a winch. Funny, I had completely forgotten about it until I re-checked Wikipedia. Doesn't look like a memorable task though :/
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 12:14:28 AM »
That was the leg with two tasks with camels.  The camels were on the sidelines snarking at the teams during the roadblock.  Speaking of which we are way overdue another camel cameo, we haven't had one of those in a few seasons.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
That was the leg with two tasks with camels.  The camels were on the sidelines snarking at the teams during the roadblock.  Speaking of which we are way overdue another camel cameo, we haven't had one of those in a few seasons.
My impression is that Season 17 is Bear season
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 07:59:42 AM »

That's what I really remembered more than anything else.
I had forgotten that there was a RB and a detour choice involving a camel. We are overdue a camel cameo though.
That leg was the first time BJ and Tyler came in last on a NEL. They managed to do it again and still win the final.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 01:45:54 PM »
Back to topic please?  :res:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline krabbe

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 11:32:13 AM »
So if Jill/Thomas weren't exaggerating to the guy in Muscat airport (they told him they'd lose if they couldn't get a flight to Bangladesh within 8 hours), does this mean they came in 2nd to last in the 2nd Russian leg? Or am I simplifying things?

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 01:56:38 PM »
So if Jill/Thomas weren't exaggerating to the guy in Muscat airport (they told him they'd lose if they couldn't get a flight to Bangladesh within 8 hours), does this mean they came in 2nd to last in the 2nd Russian leg? Or am I simplifying things?

According to my speculation they may finish in the bottom half in episode 7. However there is a whole leg between that one and the flight to Bangladesh.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 09:28:39 PM »
I think the sleeping-in incident is a classic red herring, typical of a misdirection play by World Race Productions. The teams would have checked in on or before noon at Peter and Paul Monument bastion pit stop. They appear to be released in the daytime, so they could get either a 24 hour or 18 hour pit stop. that would release them + or - noon if a 24 hou8r pit stop. Flight possibilities from St. Petersburg to Muscat all connect in either SVO or DME airports in Moscow. here are the schedules to stay even:

leg 7 6/7 St. Petersburg to Muscat:
LED SVO   Aeroflot or Rossiya hourly         connecting to SU519 SVO DXB 2018 0103+1      connecting to  EK866 DXB MCT 0253+1 0348+1  or
LED DME  S7 Airlines or Rossiya hourly   connecting to EK134 DME DXB 1745 2244           connecting to EK866 DXB MCT 0253+1 0348+1   or

So, as long as teams get to LED airport in St. Petersburg before about 5pm for a one hour flight to Moscow they should still be able to make the later connecting flight to Dubai and then from there to Muscat.