Author Topic: TAR vs other travel-related reality shows  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
TAR vs other travel-related reality shows
« on: September 24, 2020, 12:35:50 AM »
What are the other travel-related reality shows do you watch besides TAR? Is TAR still the best of the pack? If given the chance, would you choose TAR or another show to join?

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: TAR vs other travel-related reality shows
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 12:45:35 AM »
Other non-TAR shows that I can think of at the moment:

1. Lost (2001)
All teams are stranded somewhere and have to make their way to the finish line. There are no eliminations.

2. Race Across The World (2019-2020, Season 3 halted because of COVID-19)
Mostly similar to Lost, but preserves the TAR structures of having checkpoints, legs and 1 elimination over 2 seasons.

3. World's Toughest Race: Eco-Challenge Fiji (2020)

4. ローカル路線バス乗り継ぎの旅 and 太川蛭子の旅バラ (2007-2020)
Not exactly reality TV, but it features 2 male celebrities and a female guest finding the best route possible to travel between 2 points in Japan while travelling on local buses that do not use the highway. In some episodes, there were some deviations, where they travel by train and the goal is to visit landmarks near certain stations.

Not aired so far: Race To The Center Of The Earth (2020)

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 01:30:58 AM »
Other non-TAR shows that I can think of at the moment:

1. Lost (2001)
All teams are stranded somewhere and have to make their way to the finish line. There are no eliminations.

2. Race Across The World (2019-2020, Season 3 halted because of COVID-19)
Mostly similar to Lost, but preserves the TAR structures of having checkpoints, legs and 1 elimination over 2 seasons.

3. World's Toughest Race: Eco-Challenge Fiji (2020)

4. ローカル路線バス乗り継ぎの旅 and 太川蛭子の旅バラ (2007-2020)
Not exactly reality TV, but it features 2 male celebrities and a female guest finding the best route possible to travel between 2 points in Japan while travelling on local buses that do not use the highway. In some episodes, there were some deviations, where they travel by train and the goal is to visit landmarks near certain stations.

Not aired so far: Race To The Center Of The Earth (2020)

Three more:

5. Treasure Hunters (2006):
Think putting TAR & National Treasure in a blender. Teams of three travel across the US, France, and England as they follow clues leading them up to the grand prize of $3,000,000 dollars. This show did a split start before HaMerotz LaMillion 4 did!

6. Expedition Impossible (2011):
Teams of three travel through the Sahara Desert and Atlas Mountains in Morocco to win $150,000 to split and a new car for each team member. This show had more of the extreme challenges like rappelling, hiking tough terrain, etc.

7. Peking Express (2004-present):
This show started in the Netherlands and feature teams of two hitchhiking from Russia, Mongolia, and China with only a euro a day. It later expanded to other European countries (Most notably France & Spain). Most first seasons of the show followed the Russia -> Mongolia -> China format, but then expanded to more countries. Most notably the second seasons of the show traveled in China, Nepal, and India.

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 01:55:53 AM »
I honestly would prefer to be on Race Across The World to TAR, as on RATW, you can plan your own route and visit your fave landmarks, and you're not forced to go skydiving and bungee jumping.   :d025:

I think I would also do well on RATW because I am comfortable travelling long distances on buses and trains (certainly better than the actual racers). I would probably end up not being chosen simply because I don't show any signs of struggling to travel on buses and therefore am too boring to be featured on TV.  :lol:

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 08:31:17 AM »
Does National Geographic Explorer count? I started watching it late into its 10th season. Fun fact: Phil is the narrator for the current broadcast.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 05:35:44 PM »
I was just thinking about this last night. With 20 years on the air and about 75 seasons in total, The Amazing Race has never been evacuated from anywhere due to war, political tension, etc (Only once due to inclement weather, and that wasn't even out of the country)

Two new travel shows appear on the scene (Race Across the World, Race to the Center of the Earth) and both of them feature a full evacuation from a country due to civil unrest.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 05:02:49 PM »
Overlooked: The Mole, created by the creator of the Big Brother format. of which there were a number of regional editionsover the last two decades.
The US edition aired twenty years ago on ABC and was hosted by Anderson Cooper in between his stints at ABC and before he joined CNN. The contestants did travel in one or more regions or countries, but it was not a global competition. The Anderson Cooper fronted season will apparently be available on Netflix beginning June 22, from what I’ve read.
-- theschnauzers