Author Topic: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Final Round Design Show on Page 50!  (Read 88341 times)

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
Just wanted to point out that even though i respect the judges' choice i was looking forward to seeing more rounds, even if i'm eliminated this time.

Could we do anything that's not eliminating 3 people in this round? We've had 3 withdrawals...
I think the game is richer when we have more people designing. Just my 2 cents on it.

I know nobody asked me for it but i think some of my fellow designers will agree.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Just wanted to point out that even though i respect the judges' choice i was looking forward to seeing more rounds, even if i'm eliminated this time.

Could we do anything that's not eliminating 3 people in this round? We've had 3 withdrawals...
I think the game is richer when we have more people designing. Just my 2 cents on it.

I know nobody asked me for it but i think some of my fellow designers will agree.

I Agreee, just make episodie a double

Offline MrDS

• RFF Jr. Member
I have exams at the start of October so I will be studying for them until then, but I should be able to make a plan around that for this (this week was just hectic due to work obligations as well as studying). I think it would be somewhat of a waste to get rid of a round so if there was some way to still have 7 rounds it would be great!

Offline betheactress

• RFF Not So Newbie
I can handle the workload but October will be pretty dicey so I'd like this to end in September. I think it is telling that 1/3 of the designers dropped out so I agree with the shortened season since we're all active now but anything with covid could take us out.

I would also hate for this show to run into the TAR32 airing schedule since this game was intended to be in the off season, wasn't it? Every round takes 2 weeks (a week each for designing, then a week for judging) so 4 more rounds is already 8 more weeks...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 09:33:47 PM by betheactress »

Offline TimmyTAR

• No Posts Yet :(
This looks like so much fun, I hope this finished so I could join in for DC 9 :(

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
This looks like so much fun, I hope this finished so I could join in for DC 9 :(
TIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY

Offline TimmyTAR

• No Posts Yet :(
Zpoler <3 hey girl heyyy

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥

Would love to see what you can come up with! <333
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep

wow is timothytheamazingrace making his appearance on the r.f.f.?

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
#BringBackBourkie  :mas25 :snicker:

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Just to give you guys a little update, I have reviewed and scored 9 out of 12 designs. I will complete the last 3 later today and then you'll have my comments in full. :2hearts:

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Away we go!

Show content
Great to see you designing in Chad – a very challenging location to work with but also one with plenty of potential to come up with something unique! Good choice to use charter flights to get to a location that's hard to reach.

Straight into the Heritage Site which is nice. The Fast Forward is absolutely exceptional. This would be a challenging task that would provide teams with much difficulty and could also be intense watching multiple teams go for it. I'm really impressed with this task and it avoids the route that many Fast Forwards go down these days. Well done!

Following the ant trail is interesting. Pretty creative method of navigation.

The Roadblock is quite solid too. We've seen attention to detail tasks before but I like that teams have to transport their supplies away from the existing location and then set it up somewhere else. I had some minor concerns that the task could be too difficult if racers forget the design and have to constantly head back but as long as the layout isn't too complex, as your notes explained at the end, this shouldn't be a problem for most teams. If one or two teams forget what they're doing, that would be great entertainment.

Your Detour is very creative too. I enjoyed the Slower Than The Sand option more and I think it could be easier than the donkeys but I definitely don't think the Detour is unbalanced. It's a really creative design that makes excellent use of the location you are in.

Overall, a very solid design that shows off the location superbly. You've done an impeccable job and if you continue to design legs of this quality, you are definitely a chance of winning this game! Well done!

Show content
Hi Declive, great to see you in the game! I'm glad you've chosen Cape Verde – always nice to see a brand new country on TAR, especially somewhere I would really like to go personally.

I like the cryptic clue relating to the Heritage Site. It was well executed.

The Fast Forward is a creative spin on an eating challenge in that they have to cook it themselves. It may be a bit challenging considering you've chosen a really large portion size – I would go with 1kg personally – but I'm not too disturbed by this because Fast Forwards are meant to be challenging. The difficulty of this task could also result in the Fast Forward winner not winning the leg, given the cooking time plus the eating time.

The fishing isn't my favourite task but it makes sense for the location you have chosen and I'm glad it's just a Route Info.

The Detour tasks aren't the most original but they aren't bad. Particularly the sewing could really be done anywhere in the world although I do really like the delivery side of the task. The singing Detour is better!

Your Roadblock is brilliant and I really enjoyed it. Learning tasks are always fun to watch and I think this is a great version of that.

Overall, a solid leg with some really good elements. There are a few things that could be fixed and adjusted in my opinion, but nothing about it was bad. Great work and hope you continue to grow and come up with great designs!

Show content
Eritrea is such a fascinating country and I'd love to visit, so I can't wait to see what you've come up with here! And with the entire capital of Asmara considered a Heritage Site, you have a lot to work with.

Your Fast Forward is definitely original compared to Fast Forwards we have seen on the race. I don't think it would be the most exciting challenge to watch on TV but you definitely get points for originality and the time that the task would take is very appropriate for a Fast Forward.

The Detour has its pros and cons. You've justified why cycling is appropriate to Eritrea but I wish you had done a bit more with this task to make it a bit more culturally relevant. An example could be having to perform some sort of small task at the landmarks they are visiting. The Play Detour is also enjoyable. I think the Detour as a whole is solidly passable but isn't the most amazing of tasks.

The Roadblock is the highlight of your leg though! I was really impressed with this task and you have incorporated a very interesting and unique language and alphabet into your leg which I am really pleased with. Well done, this was brilliant!

I also like the significance of your Pit Stop location which ties in well with the history of the country.

Overall, a very good leg. There are a few things I would tweak, especially with the Detour, but for the most part this is an impressive effort. Good work and good luck with the rest of the game!

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Take two!

Show content
Three cool new locations in and we have a fourth! Mauritania is a very interesting country and much like the first three designs, I can't wait to see what you've done here.

The Fast Forward certainly ties in with the Heritage Site well. I actually really like this task. While it might not be the most visually pleasing task to watch on TV, it is certainly an appropriate Fast Forward. Not only is it appropriately time consuming, the disgusting nature of the work adds an extra element to the challenge.

I'm a big fan of your Detour as well. Way of Art is very creative and culturally relevant. It could be fun but also frustrating. The same could be said for Way of Music. It's a really creative take on a music challenge and I love the challenge of matching the musicians with the style of music they are playing. It's a great task and I think this Detour has encapsulated the culture of the region really well. After reviewing all the designs, I'd have to say that your Detour was the best Detour of the round as a whole.

The Roadblock isn't quite as creative as the other tasks but it is still a great challenge. We've had plenty of African market tasks in the past but I love how you have made yours unique. An overindulgence feast is quite a fascinating ritual to turn into a task. The shopping list being in Arabic is a good choice too. Overall, I think the task is a fraction weaker than the rest of the leg but still a great task and a good choice to have this chaos right before the Pit Stop.

Fantastic choice for Pit Stop location as well. Very impressive!

Overall, a highly enjoyable leg to read. I'm really impressed with it! I think your Papua New Guinea leg was a little bit better but this is very close in terms of quality and I hope you can continue to come up with creative designs like this as the competition heats up.

Show content
You had a fantastic design in the first round so I can't wait to see what you've done here! This is also the first design of the round in a country which TAR has previously visited so I'm hoping you can come up with something creative to set it apart.

I really like having both a Fast Forward and a Route Info flag from the Cairo Tower. It certainly makes things interesting if teams spot one flag before the other.

Great choice to do an Arabic language Fast Forward. It's a highly complex language and I think this task would be too hard as a regular challenge but it is very fitting for a Fast Forward. Good work!

The Roadblock would be a great task to watch on TV. While we've seen this kind of thing in the past, I think you've done a great job of incorporating language and forcing teams to interact with locals, potentially multiple times, to get through the task. I think this would be fun to watch. Also, the Heritage Site is incorporated exceptionally well into this task.

The Detour isn't super original as we've seen a lot of this on TAR5 when they visited Egypt. However, that's not to say that this is a bad Detour. The Wrapping side is really creative – wrapping a mummy would be hilarious, fun and challenging! I wish they had to do something like this on the TAR5 Fast Forward, rather than just transporting a sarcophagus. The hieroglyphic decryption side of the other Detour is also quite a good idea.

Overall, I'm really happy with this leg. There is a bit of room for improvement and maybe there is a bit too much of a reliance on language for one leg, but overall I think this would be great to watch on TV and all of the tasks definitely have their own merits.

Great work and I hope you keep coming up with great ideas!

Show content
Another Egypt leg! Can't wait to see what you've done with Luxor, another city which has already hosted a great TAR leg in the past.

Really, really creative Fast Forward. I can't praise this task highly enough. It's creative, it's original, it's difficult enough to be a Fast Forward and it's time consuming. It ticks all the boxes.

The Detour is quite creative as well. I think you've done a really good job with this, particularly the Reed It – such a unique task. Read It was good as well and overall, a very impressive Detour.

Love the Roadblock too. This is a really exciting task and I like that they have to answer questions and explore accordingly. The Heritage Site is incorporated well and it would be fun to watch on TV. The frantic search for the correct locations right at the end of the leg creates a lot of room for drama.

Overall, there's very little I would change about this leg. It is a solid design, very much relevant culturally and very enjoyable to read. You've come up with something very different for Luxor than TAR5 did which is great. Very high quality design, great work!

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Three more!

Show content
This is the third consecutive design in a location TAR has previously visited and I'm excited to see what you have come up with. The TAR6 leg in Lalibela is easily in the top five best episodes in the show's history and you've got a lot to live up to! It also inspired the first fantasy I game I hosted, Survivor: The Ethiopian Highlands, so needless to say I love this place and I'm expecting great things!

Your Fast Forward is beyond exceptional. We've seen a lot of language-related tasks throughout the round but this takes the cake. I love the element of competing for each CD and listening to people talking to learn the languages. This task is not only clever but it is very well executed and you have put a lot of thought into the format. This is probably my favourite task of the round as a whole. Well done!

The Roadblock is creative too. It definitely takes elements of TAR6's Roadblock but it accentuates them and improves them. I do think that you could've perhaps done something other than a puzzle here but the element of transferring pieces between the locations is great and overall, it's a solid task.

The Detour is solid as well. Home-Brewed is an exceptional variation on a memory/attention to detail task. I absolutely love it! Tongue-Tied is cool too. If I'm being pedantic, I would've liked to see them do more with the beverage than just sell it because it looks so fascinating. However, that's a really obscure criticism and the task is very good as a whole.

The Route Info task at the end is nice. The leg wouldn't lose much if this task wasn't there but it's nice to have a challenging task right before the Pit Stop too.

This is a very high quality leg. I have tried to be exceptionally picky with the critiques I gave because in truth, there is very little, if anything, wrong with this leg. You've taken a location used for one of the best TAR legs ever and have done it complete justice. I'm so impressed and if you can keep this up, you can go very far in this competition!

Show content
Morocco is another interesting choice and has a lot to offer. Let's see how you went!

I like the carpet side of the Detour. I think there is enough here to set it apart from other weaving tasks we have seen on TAR. Hard Labour is the highlight of this Detour, though. It is a great task and I'm really glad you included it. TAR3 is obviously my favourite season of the show and they visited the tannery and all they had to do was find a clue. While that wasn't a bad task, you have capitalised on the environment a lot better with yours and this is a task that I really want to see on TV, given how disgusting it sounds. Great work!

Dancing tasks can be repetitive but as long as this dance is exciting and different, it could be a good Fast Forward. I like how you've incorporated the judges into the task – it's a nice touch. I would recommend you provide a video of the dance or explain it a bit more because it feels like this could be a good task but it requires a bit more depth to the design.

The two regular Route Info tasks you provided are good. They certainly add to the cultural relevance of your leg and there is no harm in that. I enjoyed those!

The Roadblock is a little bit too difficult in my opinion. The length of the text to translate is really long and teams have no dictionary to make the translation themselves. You also said they have to remember the words and I think there is just too much to remember. Don't get me wrong though – this is still a good task and it uses the Heritage Site really well, but the task definitely has to be adjusted to make it a bit more realistic.

Overall, you did a really good job, ZBC! Your designs have improved so much since the good old days! I'm really impressed with how you have grown and I hope to see more great designs from you in the future!

Show content
Exciting seeing a design in Benin, another country that hasn't been visited on TAR. Let's see what you can do with it!

The Route Info tasks at the start are a good way to begin, setting the mood perfectly.

I really appreciate the voodoo elements of your Fast Forward. It is definitely great to showcase this aspect of the culture and the task is fitting for a Fast Forward. My only criticism would be that I wish more aspects of the voodoo religion formed part of this task, other than simply buying and delivering ingredients. It's a good Fast Forward but you could've done a little more with it, in my opinion.

I like the Log Stilts part of the Detour more than the Fish Nets. While both tasks are relevant to the area, the Log Stilts is a lot more unique and creative. It's a really great task and would be interesting to watch amidst all the commotion. The Fish Nets is not a bad task either, though fishing tasks are relatively common on TAR.

Your Roadblock is the best part of your leg, for sure! I absolutely love this task and I think it is really creative. Brilliant job with this one! This is definitely one of the standout tasks of the round.

Overall, another great design from you, redwings! A few minor adjustments I'd make myself but overall, you've done a great job in a very underrepresented part of Africa. Well done!

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Into the home stretch!

Show content
Love seeing the leg start in Namibia – top of my bucket list! But Seychelles is a pretty cool country too and I'm excited to see what you come up with.

I like the Fast Forward task and how it relates to the Heritage Site. The task is great but my only criticism would be that I wish you provided an image of what the decorated end product looks like, because I have no idea! Nonetheless, regardless of what it looks like, I think it is a good task and I want to see it happen!

I like the Feet Detour more than the Arms Detour. Cooking and eating the rice is a decent task but not the most original, whereas the Feet Detour has a lot of unique elements, especially travelling with these heavy pieces of fruit. I really like that element of it and I think it would be a challenging task.

The Roadblock is great. Another brilliant use of the local flora and fauna and a very creative task. This was definitely the best part of your design!

Overall, a very impressive leg for the Seychelles and very different to what TAR16 gave us. I'm really happy with this effort and there's a lot to like about it. Well done and I hope you keep on going strong!

Show content
So good to see a Nigeria leg – it really deserves a visit! I have to say, right off the bat, that your leg is the least stereotypical Africa leg of the round. Let's see if that is a good thing...

A scam awareness class... I would never have thought of this task myself but I think it is pure genius. I think this is a great example of originality and tapping into a cultural aspect that many people would probably avoid because there is the risk of it coming off as offensive. Your task is far from offensive and it is actually extremely relevant and tasteful. I'm really impressed with this task!

The Fast Forward is a good, albeit typical, eating challenge. I think the task is fine but I wish it came before the Roadblock. I feel as though the team who wins the Fast Forward is not gaining a major advantage because they have to do the Roadblock too. While I'm not opposed to a team winning the Fast Forward and not winning the leg, I think this one would make more sense to appear before the Roadblock. This isn't a major criticism but it's worth noting.

Carrying the Nigerian bride is a fun task to add a little bit of humour to the episode so I'm happy it's there.

The Detour is an absolute joy! Not only does it utilise the Heritage Site impeccably, both tasks are creative in their own right. Poetry Prowess, in particular, is one of the best tasks of this round. It fosters creativity and could potentially be extremely hilarious to have team members writing poems about one another. I'm really impressed!

Overall, as I said at the start, you've come up with probably the least stereotypical African leg of the round. Other than the Fast Forward, these tasks simply wouldn't come to mind for me when I think of Nigeria, and I think that is the sign of great research and creativity on your part. I'm really thrilled with this design, Mike! All the best for your future designs.

Show content
Another great location choice! Mauritius gave us an average leg on TAR10 but can offer so much more, so I'm really curious to see what you can come up with!

My favourite task in your leg is the Fast Forward. This is truly unique and highly creative. It would be particularly exciting if multiple teams were competing for the Fast Forward. This is an exceptional task and the unscrambling of the phrase is not too easy and not too difficult either, which makes it ideal. Really great work with this one!

I'm also a big fan of your Roadblock! Tasting the chutney and then searching for the matching ingredients is a very well-designed task. This certainly creates plenty of room for error and the fact that they have to search the orchard for the ingredients is a great touch. Really good task!

The Detour ties into the Heritage Site well, but it's a fraction behind the other tasks of the leg, in my opinion. Dancing tasks can be good and this one is no exception but I'm not sure it stands out as being an amazing task either. On the other hand, I do like the sailing task and how it relates to the local way of doing things. The Detour is really well-balanced though, and that is always important. Overall, a good pair of tasks but I definitely prefer the Fast Forward and the Roadblock.

Brilliant Pit Stop location, though that probably goes without saying!

Overall, this leg is light years better than anything TAR10 gave us in Mauritius. You've showcased multiple facets of Mauritian culture and this is definitely a high quality leg. Really impressive and I hope you continue to slay with your upcoming designs!

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Overall thoughts:

The quality of the designs in this leg is extremely high. There is truly no weak link in this field and I want to, first of all, congratulate everybody on delivering great designs.

I enjoyed seeing such a wide variety of locations visited in this round. We got fantastic designs in countries that TAR has, regrettably, not visited yet. We also got fantastic designs in locations that TAR has visited before, and in some cases, our designers improved on what the actual race offered, which is always great to see.

As a whole, the things you did well were definitely your creativity and the way you incorporated tasks around your Heritage Sites. I had allocated 5 points to each of these categories and after going through each design individually, I had pencilled in a score of at least 4 out of 5 in both of these categories for every single designer. For the purposes of distinguishing between the designs a little bit more, I had to adjust these scores a little bit and some designs dropped to a 3 to create a bit of a spread but every designer did a great job and I simply can't justify giving anybody a lower score than that, particularly in these categories, because there wasn't a weak design out there.

I'm certainly not opposed to giving out a perfect score in this game, especially when a design deserves it. There were at least 4 or 5 designs that could make a case for receiving such a score from me and I had to be highly pedantic and picky to distinguish those designs from one another. In truth, based on my initial scores, I only had 1 point separating second and sixth place. I had to nitpick quite drastically to create a slightly greater disparity in the scores and prevent way too many ties.

In terms of the designers who received the lowest scores from me, I wouldn't be too disheartened either. Even the design which ranked last was still a design I really enjoyed and had plenty of positives. I hope whoever is eliminated from the game will leave with the knowledge that they did a brilliant job and hopefully they learned a thing or two which they can bring forth into a future edition of this wonderful game.

I'd also like to thank the hosting team for the opportunity to guest judge. I have a long history with this amazing game and this experience brought back plenty of great memories. Not only that but I'm thankful to have had the opportunity to judge designs in a continent which has such a firm hold of my heart. I love Africa and I hope to visit many of the beautiful locations you guys designed in. It has been an honour to judge again and I can't wait to be able to do it again one day!

Good luck to all the contestants and I can't wait to read your future designs and see who wins this exciting contest! You guys are on fire!

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
i did think my roadblock is hard.

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
I really appreciate the voodoo elements of your Fast Forward. It is definitely great to showcase this aspect of the culture and the task is fitting for a Fast Forward. My only criticism would be that I wish more aspects of the voodoo religion formed part of this task, other than simply buying and delivering ingredients. It's a good Fast Forward but you could've done a little more with it, in my opinion.

I went back and forth multiple times trying to decide if I wanted to include the team watching a voodoo ceremony where the and priest sacrifices their live chicken but eventually decided the way in which that happens (the priest killing the chicken by ripping out its throat with his teeth and then drinking the blood) was just a little too much.

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
I only just got up so I might not be up to snuff off the bat, but thank you for the vote of confidence, Racer. The placement of the FF is a bit off, but I felt it was warranted to try and give it the air of unpredictability. I can't take all the credit for the FF and ARI idea. That honor goes to Leafsfan. I had been going over ideas with him over Discord and he suggested I put in an eating task for the FF and a Nigerian wedding based task afterwards. So thanks to him on those. If you looked at the notes, you'll see my inspiration for the scam awareness RB. I had been looking at YouTube scambaiters and how they preach consumer literacy and it got me thinking about how I could translate that to Amazing Race. That's what came of it.
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

-Theme song from 'Full House' (1987-1995)

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
@redwings - I think that was a good call to avoid the live sacrifice lol. :funny: Still felt you could do a bit more with it but as I said, it was only a minor criticism and I enjoyed the task regardless! :tup:

@Mike - Definitely a great job with that, I think you executed that task superbly and well done Leafsfan for helping haha. :clap2:

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
@redwings - I think that was a good call to avoid the live sacrifice lol. :funny: Still felt you could do a bit more with it but as I said, it was only a minor criticism and I enjoyed the task regardless! :tup:

@Mike - Definitely a great job with that, I think you executed that task superbly and well done Leafsfan for helping haha. :clap2:

I should have them unlock their clue on a tablet

Offline Pi

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Full Member

Game Announcement

The hosts have another update regarding the structure of the game (this is the last change, promise)!

Since the majority of the designers indicated they plan on being active/available for the upcoming future, we have decided to reinstate the round we chose to eliminate. The game will be 7 rounds, as originally planned. This means that only two designers will be eliminated in Round 3, instead of the 3 announced earlier. This will give us our Top 10.

The hosts will do our best to keep the game moving along smoothly. Thanks for being such a great group of designers, as well as a great audience! Keep it up!

If you have any concerns, feel free to ask the hosting team! :)
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika

Kamineko's Comments

Hi all!

I have done reading all of the designs, and I am pretty impressed by many of the submissions. Now, I'm going to post my comments.

Remember that this is my personal opinion. It might be different from the other judges. All my criticisms are there to make your leg design better in upcoming rounds if you're safe, or in future seasons if you are eliminated.

I'm going to give my comments based on the order of the designs posted in the Design Showcase.

Here we go!
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika

Kamineko's Comments

Design #1: betheactress [Ennedi Plateau, Chad]

Show content
I see you picked Chad. An interesting country, indeed. Wonder what this country could bring.

Teams are starting in Istanbul, Turkey. First, they have to fly to N’Djamena, the capital city of Chad. You have the teams flying on the same flight arriving in early morning, but they will be separated into two flights leaving 30 minutes apart. I would prefer if they have to run to find a sign-up list on the airport anyway, so all teams are in a same chance of making it into the first charter flight.

Arriving in Fada, they will be driven by a local driver to the Sahara Desert to the Ennedi Plateau. On their first stop, they find a Fast Forward. To be honest, I don’t really like the placement of the Fast Forward, since teams are already separated by charter flights and being driven by a local driver would mean that whoever leaves first from the airport is the one that’s gonna do the Fast Forward. The Fast Forward task is an interesting one since it involves camels in a unique way. But, isn’t it kinda dangerous for them to look at the camel prints from the assigned camel? Like there’s a chance of them being hurt by the camel, right? Also, matching a camel track is not really fun. I find it more fun to make them follow the camel track, and if they pick the correct track, the Fast Forward clue will be available at the end of the track.

For those who don’t take the Fast Forward, they have to follow an ant track to find the ant hill. Actually this task looks better as the Fast Forward for me since it’s tougher. But maybe it’s just my opinion. Is there only one ant track? Also, how far is the ant hill? 

After that, they have to find the Guelta d’Archei where they find a Roadblock. I like the Roadblock idea, since it’s not only just setting up camp, but it involves packing the camp, handing the camel, and resetting the camp. Also, the fact that they have to set the camp exactly as like what they saw before can be really hard since they might not see it coming and there’s no more example to recheck.

After the Roadblock, comes a Detour. I like the water filling task since it involves a labor task combined with handling donkeys. I can see teams struggling in this task and it can be good on television. For the building shelter task, it’s not that new to see, but the task is solid. I don’t really get the connection of the “Slower than the Sands” phrase to the task anyway. Finally, they go to the Pit Stop, the D’Oyo Labyrinth. The Pit Stop location is really nice, I like it. I can see some teams get lost in the rock formations, so there’s a possibility of placement changing. Way to go!

For my final comments, I really like some of your tasks. You really highlight the locations, since it’s rare to see a country like this being featured on a show. I don’t like that they are separated into charter flights based on their previous placement in the previous leg, since the second group has almost no chance to attempt the Fast Forward. Other than that, this is another pretty solid leg from you.

Design #2: Declive [Cidade Velha, Cape Verde]

Show content
So, you pick Cape Verde as your destination. I wonder what this country can bring.

First, teams are starting in Portugal, but their starting location is in a small village. It’s rare to see a leg in Portugal, even in such a small village. The previous Pit Stop location is also nice. Their first clue directs them to fly to Praia, Cape Verde, where they have to find a church on arriving in Praia. I see that you’re trying to show a GIF of the location, but it’s pretty confusing for me and it’s only showing the country, not specifically to the place they’re going to.

Arriving at the São Pedro Salineiro Church, teams find another Route Info, which is another cryptic clue. I think that this cryptic clue is too random and too complicated. Maybe it’s not really necessary to put up the cryptic clue as well, in my opinion.

When teams arrive at the Pelourinho in Cidade Velha, they find a Fast Forward. The Fast Forward task is pretty bland. Making a cooking task as a Fast Forward is not fun to watch because it takes a long time of waiting. Eating a 2kg dish can be not that nice to watch as well, especially if the team may puke when eating a national dish can leave a bad impression on my watch. Maybe reduce the amount of food that they have to eat later.

For teams who are not taking the Fast Forward, they have to go fishing. Your GIF image is making me dizzy. Watching a fishing task can be boring if it takes too long, but it can cause some drama. After they’re done, they have to deliver the fish to the same restaurant where the Fast Forward is in?

Then, they have to make their way to a market for their next clue, which is a Detour. In Play & Sing, they have to learn and perform a local song. I find this task unexciting tbh. Performing a local song is not that unique since this type of task can be done anywhere, also the song that they have to perform is really slow.. In Sew & Bring, they have to replicate scarves. How big the pattern that they have to replicate, since making one scarf can take pretty long itself. We’ve seen sewing tasks several times in TAR, so it’s not that new anymore. Also, I don’t know the cultural relevance of the sewing task as well.

After that, they have to make their way on foot to a local school, which is actually a famous one. The Roadblock that they face is learning a new language, which is Cape Verdean Creole. They have to pronounce the alphabet then a random phrase. The phrase that they have to say is also too random, in my opinion. Perhaps you can give some justification on why you’re choosing that phrase? Finally, they are going to the Pit Stop in a lighthouse, which is a pretty nice location.

For my final comments, I’m not really impressed with this leg. Many of your tasks are generic ones. Most of them can be done anywhere else as well. If you’re safe in this round, hopefully you can show us more than this.

Design #3: NELs [Asmara, Eritrea]

Show content
You pick Eritrea, another interesting country. Let’s see if this leg brings you justice.

Starting in Dubai, teams are flying to the city of Asmara, Eritrea. It’s interesting that a modern city is labeled as an UNESCO World Heritage Site anyway. Arriving there, they have to go to the Fiat Tagliero Building where they find both a Detour or Fast Forward.

For the Fast Forward, you pick a coffee ceremony. I think it’s culturally relevant, but it’s not that interesting to watch with basically there’s a lot of waiting and I think there’s no room for error to this task. Also, I think this task is better as a Roadblock since it seems from the video you provided that only one person will actually act as the server.

For the Detour, the choices names are not that unique. The bike task is basically just roaming around the city using bikes, not really interesting. It’s not that hard to complete if they can pedal fast enough, although maybe teams may have to attempt this several times. But cycling through a 20-minute long route seems pretty hard to reattempt if they fail on the first try. Also, is the route and directions kinda clear to see or teams have to search for the landmarks by themselves? For the piano task, it’s not really good. It’s basically just performing a song while accompanied by piano. Teams who cannot play piano well may struggle in this, though. Basically, both tasks are not really “culturally relevant” since I think this can be done anywhere else.

Then they have to go to a university for a Roadblock. The task is just another language related task, with nothing else really impressive. I don’t know exactly how teams will find out the translation and the writing. Are the 10 words taught to them before, or they can ask the locals to help them with the translation? Finally, they have to go to the Pit Stop, in a Tank Graveyard. The Pit Stop is nice since it has a background story to it, not some random place being thrown.

For my final comments, I don’t find this leg really interesting to watch. Some tasks are too generic for me. Maybe there are some relations between the task and the culture or the location, but they can be done anywhere else. Your notes really help to make me understand more about your decision for some tasks, so I hope that’s enough to save you this time.

Design #4: MrDS [Nouadhibou, Mauritania]

Show content
I see that pick Mauritania, another less known country. I wonder what you can show us from this location.

Teams are starting in Nouakchott, the capital city of Mauritania. So there’s another leg actually happening in this country, which is nice. Teams are starting in a mosque, where they have to find marked jeeps and drive to the Banc d’Arguin National Park. Arriving in the park, teams find an Hours of Operation, which is nice since they arrive after sundown.

The next morning, they find a Route Info and a Fast Forward. For the Fast Forward, actually cleaning fish is not that exciting to watch. This task can also be done anywhere else, although you say that this is relevant to the national park. Having to prepare 100 fishes is kinda interesting since it’s so many and can take a pretty long time, especially with the smells that they have to endure. But honestly, I expect more than this from you. I know that you particularly don’t like Fast Forward tasks, so that’s why I think that this task is not something that you’re really highlighting and focusing on.

For the others, they have to find Nouadhibou Berber Camp and find a Detour. For the art Detour, I really like it. How many art pieces teams have to make though? If only one, will it balance with the other Detour task, since it seems the other can take longer time. For the music Detour, it’s nice that you find another way to highlight the culture. Other than making teams just perform the music, but making them pay attention to a new style of music is really nice.

Then, they have to go to Nouadhibou Market for a Roadblock. The Roadblock itself is just mainly a buying task, with a twist that the ingredients list is written in Arabic. Having teams ask the locals can be tough since I don’t know if anyone there knows English. Probably it’s better to make the locals help them buy all the things. This task is also not really new to see, it’s kinda common to see happening in African legs. Finally, they have to find the Pit Stop, which is in a ship graveyard. This location is really picturesque, I really like it!

For my final comments, I’m not really impressed by some of the aspects of your legs. I know that you don’t like Fast Forward, and it’s shown on what you designed, which is pretty underwhelming. If no one’s taking the Fast Forward, the heritage site won’t be featured much on TV. I like both Detour tasks since it really captures the local culture. The Roadblock is not really new to the franchise, but having teams struggle in finding out the things they have to buy can be frustrating to some. Overall, I believe you can do so much better than this.

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika

Kamineko's Comments

Design #5: elthemagnifico [Cairo & Giza, Egypt]

Show content
So you submitted late, hopefully your leg can save you this time.

Teams start in Nicosia, Cyprus. There’s no intro of the previous city but because you make it a keep racing leg, I think that’s fine. Teams are flying to Cairo (you used the exact same image as in the round intro lol), where they have to go to Cairo Tower. Arriving in Cairo Tower at midnight, teams find an Hours of Operation.

In the next morning, teams have to find their next location from the top of Cairo Tower. I actually like that teams not directly get both of the Route Info and Fast Forward, but have to look for each. Too bad that your map image is broken though. For the Fast Forward, they have to act on a film scene in Arabic. The task itself is not that “wow” to be a Fast Forward, but the difficulty is pretty solid.

For the others, they go to Al-Azhar Mosque and find a Roadblock. I really like this Roadblock. Actually some parts of this task kinda remind me of TAR 30’s Morocco leg where teams have to say as-salamu ‘alaykum to get their clue then combined with the leg’s Roadblock where they have to navigate through the streets, and TAR 29’s Tanzania leg where they have to find the doors. But otherwise, I love this kind of task.

Then they have to find out that they have to go to the Giza Pyramid Complex and find their next clue on the Sphinx for a Detour. For the wrapping task, I like the idea of it. I don’t really know if this task respects the local custom, not like the last time, so I let it pass. For the writing task, I like that they have to enter the Pyramid first, but I have some issues with so many language related tasks you put up until now. Finally, they have to ride a camel to the Pit Stop at the Pyramid of Queen, which is a really nice and picturesque location.

For my final comments, I like your leg and I feel it’s pretty solid. I have some issues with too many language related tasks, as I said before. You literally incorporate language aspects in the Fast Forward, Roadblock, and one of the Detour tasks, which I found excessive. Other than that, I hope that your -1 late submission penalty won’t bite you at the end.

Design #6: nrh2110 [Luxor, Egypt]

Show content
I see that you’re picking Luxor, Egypt. I wonder how’s this leg compared to TAR 5 one.

Teams start in Aswan, and you pick a nice location as the Pit Stop as well. Teams have to travel by train to Luxor and find the white chapel. They also find an Hours of Operation there. In the morning, they find a Fast Forward. I find the Fast Forward interesting since it looks pretty chaotic. The tasks for the Fast Forward are not too hard, but require intricate details. Somehow I find this task is better put as one of a Detour task, but I don’t know.

The others have to go to a museum and find a Detour. I really like the “Reed It” task, but I don’t really love the “Read It” task. The hieroglyphs task is just another language themed task, so it’s not really new. Then, they have to make their way to the statues of the Pharaoh Amenhotep III. Nice put on the cryptic clue there, it’s not that hard to find what the twins are.

After that, they have to go to the Valley of Kings for a Roadblock. The Roadblock task is pretty unique and I like it. Navigating through the tombs is nice to watch on television as well. Teams may try to do a brute force, but searching through more than 60 tombs can be hard. Finally, they have to go to the Pit Stop in a temple, which is also a really nice location.

For my final comments, I think that your leg is pretty solid. I just find the language themed Detour is overused. But, I really like the Roadblock and the locations you picked. So, good job on that.

Design #7: Bookworm [Lalibela, Ethiopia]

Show content
You picked Lalibela, Ethiopia, the same location as in TAR 6. Let’s see if you can do it better.

Starting in Dubai, teams are flying directly to Lalibela. The flights can cause some drama if some teams fail to make the connection. I wonder if there’s an alternative flight if team(s) are stranded in Axum. Arriving in Lalibela, they are going to the Church of Saint George, where they find a Fast Forward. I really like the Fast Forward idea. If there are multiple teams taking the Fast Forward, the losing teams will get around 45-minutes behind, which can be really bad for them. But I think it’s a good gamble, either way.

The others find a Roadblock at the church. I really like the Roadblock concept. The task is definitely tough and can be fun to watch. I personally think that this Roadblock is way better than the one in Season 6, so good job in that. What I wonder is how far is the travel time between each church.

Then, they directly get a Detour clue. The coffee ceremony task is nice and has a good detail on what steps the teams should follow. The selling drink task is solid with some interactions with locals needed. Both Detour tasks are solid and nicely balanced in my opinion. 

After that, they have to go to Selina Restaurant where they have to deliver local bread to another restaurant. In the destination restaurant, they will face another task where they have to match local dishes with the name in Amharic. It’s basically just a language task with some twists. I don’t think anyone will recognize the Daily Specials board as the answer to the task, but the task itself is not that hard. Finally, they may go to the Pit Stop at the rooftop of the restaurant.

For my final comments, I really think that this leg is better than the Season 6 one and this one is really solid. I just prefer that teams are travelling to some locations instead of just navigating between close spots. This can cause just a little change of placements between teams since the only way that they can pass another team is by doing the tasks faster, which rarely happens. Especially for teams who lose the Fast Forward, I don’t think that there’s a chance for them to keep up to the others if they are 45 minutes behind.

Design #8: ZBC Company [Fez & Meknes, Morocco]

Show content
You’re picking Morocco, let’s see what you can deliver us.

First, teams are starting in Framlingham in England. I really like the starting location, anyway. They have to fly to Fez in Morocco, and then make their way to the medina. I see that you have no screenshots of your flights. It would be better if you have the screenshots so I won’t think that it’s a fictional flight. When teams arrive at the medina, do you mean that they find an Hours of Operation there? But what time will they receive the next clue?

For the Detour, they have to choose between Easy Labor or Hard Labor. I’m not really a fan of the choice's names, since they sound not balanced already. For the Easy Labor task, I actually like it. I prefer if you provide some steps they have to do, or at least a video of it so I can imagine how the task will run. For Hard Labor, I also like it since it involves more things to do. Later, please avoid using stock photos since it doesn’t look nice on your presentation. Also, I don’t know if the Detours are balanced, especially when the names are already biased with “easy” and “hard” labor. Find another name for the choice or find out how the task will be more balanced.

There’s also a Fast Forward in the leg, and five Fast Forward is so many considering these new seasons there’s only one or even no Fast Forward in the whole season. But if it’s like the early seasons, I have no problem with that. The task itself is pretty simple and straightforward. I would prefer you put more wow factor in this task other than the generic performing a dance task. Then they go to a spa to participate in hammam, like the one in TAR21. I’m not really mind that. I just wonder if the hammam customs here in Morocco is the same as back in TAR21 in Turkey where males and females can get the treatment in the same room. But it’s not really an issue for me.

After that, they have to go to the city of Meknes where they get a task in a square. I really like the music task here since it really shows the culture of Morocco, especially the Berber people. Then, they have to go to the Volubilis for a Roadblock. The Roadblock is pretty hard considering the amount of words they have to unscramble. I think it’s still feasible if they are told how many wrong answers they provide, but it still will take a really long time to complete. If they’re correct, they may proceed to the Pit Stop mat on the location.

For my final comments, I really like some of your tasks this time. Your Detour, although sounded not really balanced, but both tasks are solid. I wish that your Fast Forward has more wow factor to be worth to be a Fast Forward, and I would like that your Roadblock designed to be easier as well. My only issue is your presentation again. Not only did you once again use Google Docs, but you used too many stock photos this time, which did not look good on the presentation.