Author Topic: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Final Round Design Show on Page 50!  (Read 88404 times)

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
Just reading the comments now, I’ll give a full response tomorrow as it’s 2:27 AM here but I must’ve totally missed the idea of adding in note  :dick I’ll be sure to be more thorough with explanations in the future

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
Really good effort by everyone, these are some phenomenal designs considering some recent finales aren't half as good as any of these!

Props to elthemagnifico, you had my favourite leg - super original!

Jimmer, love the fairy dwellings!

And redwings, I love a finale in Roswell, New Mexico - how fun!

Fantastic job all, all the best for your future designs - I'll make sure to check them out. :2hearts:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
Thanks for the comments, Gamer! I have been travelling these days so ended up rushing my submission and some details were not clear enough, but I will try my best to explain some of the decisions I took while preparing the leg:
First off, I like the concept behind your cryptic clue… but I’m not too sure about the difference being that obvious. It’s a fine segue into Dollywood, and I find it hilarious that Dolly Parton *would* cameo (since I think she’s at the point of her career where she actually might do it lmfao), but I’m not too sure about the album cover difference being easily noticeable.
The album edit is made to be not too noticeable at first sight, but once you look for information it should be quite apparent that Dollywood is not a part of the album name. Teams are surely going to go to the provided hotel to look for information since they have around 8 hours between pitstart times and flights, so they should really figure out about it, and even if they didn't, the house where she was born in Sevierville and Dollywood are not more than 15 minutes apart by taxi, so I don't think it is a great deal if somebody doesn't follow the small detail at first, and it would give a slight advantage to those who deserve it, so not too sure where is the issue with it. :)

And then we go camping. I gave Bourkie crap for doing this task, and I will unfortunately do the same here. However, your camping task is more excusable since there was an actual structure before it. Still not that big of a fan of camping as a task though.
My main idea was to focus in a couple traits of Tennessee as a state, with nature (it is one of the states with the most state parks and green areas of the US per square mile) and country music, and thought this would be a nice introduction into the nature half of the leg which concludes in the pitstop. I had in mind something sort of TAR18-esque final task but devoted to nature and camping. This was also not a necessary task, and it could be unaired. This location also served to reroute the teams going to Rock Island State Park as if they head to the park directly, the fastest route comes through the Finish Line, and I could have noted this in my submission but I had time issues due to travelling for the past few days. Should've mentioned it, my bad.

Okay David, I’m actually a bit shocked here. Like Bourkie’s leg, you ALSO collect flags to the final task. I think your Final Memory Task is a little bit better, but my fundamental issue with your task is that by collecting the flags on the way to the final task, there’s already room for teams to talk and discuss beforehand, making the final task easier.
I really don't understand where you get this from, gamer. They have not been told about the final task yet, and I wouldn't say the final RB is predictable enough for teams to talk about it while collecting the flags. They have no idea whether there is going to be a final task or not, the flags are just part of the trail as of what the ARI has instructed them, and I guess teams would think the end is near so they would surely be running through the trail rather than discussing what the flags are for. I am not sure if in Bourkie's design (I will use this since you compared mine to it) they have been told about the final task before getting to it, but definitely that is not happening in my leg, so I definitely do not see teams discussing about a final task that has never happened before during the trail.

the adventure task Roadblock had a little bit too much padding
Not too sure what you mean about it. I had thought of other options for the Roadblock (meeting at the landing location, meeting somewhere else, etc), but I find this being the best option since in rural areas there are not taxis everywhere, while if teams meet in the Airport, there would be taxis waiting there or a service to call a nearby cab that you cannot find anywhere around.

All in all, I agree many designs seem to fit better as a whole than mine, but just wanted to let you know on some of the reasonings behind the decisions I made on what to include in my leg, and I appreciate your remarks, gamer :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 04:33:46 AM by David »

Offline MrDS

• RFF Jr. Member
Thank you so much Pi!!! I really appreciate it and yeah next round i gurantee the judges will see
money
maps
flights
pictures
and lotsssss of detail!!!

This first round was so much fun and hopefully ill get to explore this game a little more!

It's always better to provide too much detail than not enough as long as it adds value!

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Did you guys received my leg

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
What people think of my long a** leg I took me a whole 5 years to get to

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
Did you guys received my leg

I've edited your leg in. :tup:
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika

Kamineko's Comments

Hi all! First I want to say congratulations to all of you who have submitted your legs. When I have this idea of a finale leg for the first round, at first I was really worried that maybe we put too much pressure right at the start. Since the very beginning of the Design Challenge, only a few final legs were made in this game. But I know that the US has so much more to offer other than its big cities, so I want you to showcase to the viewers and perhaps real producers as well, what this country can bring. And so far, I am really impressed by your works!

So, I will reveal my comments in several batches, with also not too many designers at once, and not in a particular order, so you can read them carefully. Please note that this is purely my opinion. I've stated before my requirements and criteria, but for this round, I added the finale-worthy criteria. I may sometimes mention that in some of your legs when I don't think that your task is suitable to be placed in the final leg, but rather maybe in the middle legs. I expect tasks that can make me (and maybe other audiences as well) watch while sitting on the edge of my seat. So, if your task don't have that feel, I will mention that in my comments.

Once again, this is purely my opinion. Maybe it differs than the other judges' opinion, so if I say that it's bad, don't take it personally.

Good luck! :luvya:

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
Please be lenient, Kami. This is the first finale leg I've designed and believe me when I say that I tried to make it as good as possible while taking gamer's comments about straying away from unnecessary twists and penalties to heart.
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

-Theme song from 'Full House' (1987-1995)

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika

Lemontail - Mackinac Island, Michigan

Show content
First, we started on Easter Island. I really like the location, and the previous leg's Pit Stop is not a random beach but also has its uniqueness. The first clue is somewhat cryptic, but it's pretty useless since teams end up on the same flight. But wow at the flight connections. Arriving in Pellston at night, teams have to stay overnight, which is quite underwhelming, especially in the finale. I guess the editing would skip to the part the next morning. Also, where is the overnight stay location specifically?

Then they have the first Roadblock. The challenge idea is good since it tests the team members' stamina other than just their memory. Although you explained the task in visualization, tbh, I'm still quite confused. Maybe later, please give one or two steps of arranging the boats.

Then they have to go to a candy shop where they have to make and deliver fudge. It fits the location and also the finale theme, so a tick on that. They also have to deliver fudges to several hotels using bikes. Seriously, it's not often that we're seeing teams traveling on foot or bikes in the finale, and so far, I like it. I wonder how far each hotel is from the candy shop? You didn't provide a map of it (maybe just using several pinpoints). Also, I think that this task takes too long to complete. If they have to follow some steps correctly that it should be fine, but if it takes around four hours, it's too long. This is not a MasterChef task.

They have to go to the Grand Hotel Stables, another unique location, where they have to assemble and disassemble carriages. I don't get the disassembling part though, I think assembling a carriage is enough, but the disassembling is like another extra "task" thrown at them to prolong the finale. Then they have to go to British Landing for another Roadblock. While I like the concept and the task in general, I don't get the 20-minute limit. Especially in the final task, I don't really like a time penalty whatsoever since it can cause a team's lead even if they somehow missed by seconds. Finally, they're going to the Finish Line by bike. The Finish Line location is good, especially when teams are riding bicycles I kind of hope I can see a bike race between teams.

In summary, I love the location so much because I never heard of this place before. Also, I love that teams are racing using bikes or on foot in the finale because it's rarely seen. You provided useful details on the tasks but just missed a couple of things. I wouldn't say I like that teams are getting an overnight rest since it'll be skipped on the show and when there's a time penalty on the final Roadblock.

Nuku - Buxton, North Carolina

Show content
So teams start in Guadalajara, Mexico, on a bridge in a national park. What time do the teams start anyway? Their first clue is directing them to Charlotte, North Carolina, where they will travel on a private (or charter) flight to Manteo in the Outer Banks. Then, they will find a treasure chest and a clue in a car. So far, it's pretty good, but you didn't provide any flights at all, so it's a big minus on attention to detail.

Then they have to go to an aquarium and search for a sea turtle rehab center, where they have to monitor five baby sea turtles. What kind of information that they have to collect anyway? After that, they have to go to Jockey's Ridge State Park for a Roadblock. The Roadblock task is pretty bland and not interesting, although it ticks the adrenaline activity usually held in the final leg. After landing, they have to complete a puzzle of the Outer Banks map. I don't understand the puzzle, is it kind of a jigsaw puzzle or just a naming puzzle?

After that, they have to go to a fishing center where they will find a clue from a fisherman, but then they have to go to a water sport site, which is weird. I don't think the clue on the fishing center is needed.

Then they have the second Roadblock, which is the memory task. The task itself is not an original one; also, the concept is just pretty bland. I even don't understand what do you mean by "U-Turn" clue anyway? You didn't mention the sample/fake/mock answer as well. After that, they go to a museum for another map puzzle. Although it's pretty much the same as the task in the first Roadblock, I prefer this task compared to the former.

After that, they have to go to a campground for a final task. After driving a buggy, teams have to match medallions for each leg. I wonder what is printed on the medallion? Is it a name or a picture? You didn't mention that. But this task is pretty good. Finally, they have to go to the Finish Line in a lighthouse, which is good.

In summary, your leg somehow looks pretty long to complete, with an unnecessary visit to the fishing center. Your tasks are fine, but some tasks' placements are weird, because I think you can remove the second Roadblock, or make the final task a Roadblock instead, and it's still a pretty good leg. The problem with details is that you didn't provide a flight, map, or other necessities. Also, please learn how to create a post using BBCode, since it will look better than a series of screenshots.

Jimmer - New London & Old Lyme, Connecticut

Show content
Teams are starting in Togo, in the capital city of Lomé. I like the starting city since we’ve never seen the race in Togo, so I’m pretty excited about that. Then teams are flying to NYC before taking a train to New London, Connecticut. The only problem is I need to know what train schedule the teams take. Are they bunched up on the same train, or there’s a chance that a team missed their train?

Arriving in New London, they make their way to the US Coast Guard Academy for a Roadblock. I love the Roadblock task, but I hope that they’re using a decoy instead of real people though lol. After that, they have to ride a boat to a lighthouse offshore to find the next clue, which is a Detour.

For Report Detour, I want to know what kind of tools provided for them to measure. Do you mean that they are given a thermometer? Or, is there a tool that mimics the thermometer behavior? Otherwise, this task is an interesting one. The Restore Detour is pretty straightforward. I wonder if there is only one lighthouse where all three teams will perform the Detour in? Because it seems that the lighthouse is pretty small in the picture, hence making the location so packed if all three teams are working together there, not including the cameraman.

Then teams have to make their way to a museum, where they have to complete a fairy house. How big is the fairy house again? I think if it’s pretty small, then it’ll add more difficulty to teams to work on the house together. Then they have to find a sculpture for the final memory challenge. I want to know maybe what landmarks the teams encountered. Also, is the landmark visited as a Route Info destination, or maybe teams only pass the landmark or see from afar, but it’s pretty straightforward (e.g., Eiffel Tower in Paris)? The Finish Line location is not bad, but I prefer that teams have to travel somewhere else, hoping that there will be another suspense and scrambling before the Finish Line.

In summary, I like many aspects of your leg. The tasks are easy to understand and pretty straightforward. There are some concerns I would like to know regarding some of your tasks, but pretty much I’m impressed with this leg. I can see this leg happening in the real version of TAR as well.

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
Thanks for the comments, Kami. Some clarifications:

I did specify on notes that teams stayed at Thunderbird Motor Inn at St. Ignace, just a few feet walk to the ferry dock.

I did provide a map detailing about the route map of the hotels, which is about 1.2 miles in total. Teams were free to choose wherever they wanted to go first.

I had to give teams an overnight rest since I wanted to showcase the beauty of Mackinac Island on daylight and ferries to Mackinac Island doesn't depart much later in the night, so there's that.

And I will note your dissertations on rudimentary issues of my leg design and I will improve it better. Thanks again! :)
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika

Stone - Black Hills, South Dakota

Show content
Teams are starting in Haarlem, Netherlands, where they have to fly to Rapid City, South Dakota. Their first clue directs them to Deadwood, where they have to search for their next clue on Main Street. The problem here is, you didn't mention where the exact location of the clue box is. I believe that the main street is a long one, so saying the exact location, for example, in front of what shop or any landmark will be better.

Then they have the first Roadblock. I need more explanation here, like what kind of hoist the Roadblock performer should make. Maybe you should provide a picture of the example later. Also, how big the hoist they have to make, is there any example that they have to follow, etc. Please mention it more clearly. In general, I think this task has potential, but if the requirement is that the hoist should be able to lift a bucket, I guess it's not enough to be a "finale worthy" task.

Then they have to make their way to the Cathedral Spires in Custer State Park. It's not a cryptic clue, but the location is pretty decent. There, they find another Roadblock. The Roadblock question is unusual since nobody realizes that the Cat's Meow is the name of a climbing route for the first time. But, since this is a second Roadblock, which the other team member who didn't perform the first Roadblock has to do, it's not that interesting. The Roadblock task itself is pretty underwhelming. Although the location is beautiful, it's just another climbing/rappelling task, which is boring, in my opinion.

Then they have to go to the Red Shirt Community in the Pine Ridge Reservation. Their task is that they have to set up and decorate an Oglala Lakota tipi. I like this task since it's culturally fit, but I've seen this task before, like in TAR18's finale task. Finally, they have to donate all their money before going to the Finish Line, already?! While the donating task could be missed by a team like in TAR19, I'm not too fond of the placement. The Finish Line location is breathtaking anyway, so that's good.

In general, this leg doesn't scream the final leg. It fits better to be a leg in the middle of the race. Also, I think it is too short for a final leg, with only three tasks with a little chance of scrambling the team's positions. It also lacks originality and needs more polishing later. You said that it's a lot of self-driving, which is good, but for the finale, I think a long driving/getting lost drama is not fun to watch, and the editing would be more focused when teams are arriving at the locations instead. I think you can improve your leg later since I believe you can be better next time.

Declive - Key Biscayne & Key Largo, Florida

Show content
So we're starting in Santos, Brazil. I believe the penultimate Pit Stop is the soccer field, so that's nice, especially with a specific reason for choosing that location. The first clue is self-driving to the airport. I'm sure that teams are bunched in the same flight, why bother requiring them to self-drive? In your details, you specify that it's the best option than to risk the teams or crews lives, why is that? If it's dire, isn't it better to have the teams carried by shuttle to the airport instead?

Their first destination is an Ocean Park, where they have to search for the 8th Lifeguard House. I like this if there are eight or more lifeguard houses in the park; thus, teams have to search for a specific house. It may shuffle their position, especially if the taxi drops them off too far away. Then we have a Roadblock. I like this Roadblock since it fits the finale leg euphoria. But there's a chance of linear Roadblock if the postcard is too easy to find or placed in the same spot. Then we have a cryptic clue, which I love. A picture cryptic clue is pretty hard if teams don't understand how to search by image or find someone who recognizes the poster. Even if they know the exact location, finding a specific boat from the marina can be tough, so it's nice.

Then they have to go to a turtle hospital. While the purpose of the task is good, I don't think that this will be good for the final leg since teams are on the rush and I'm not sure it'll look good on TV. Delicate details provided on how they should help the turtle, so good point on that. Then we have another cryptic clue where they have to look for a tree. While the location is good, I don't know why they don't just use a binocular instead of a smartphone, especially after taking pictures they won't do anything else with that.

After that, they have to go to the Naval Station for a memory challenge. While the concept is right, this task lacks many details. You didn't specify what airports are the answer, and the order of the airports as well. Then finally, they have to take a charter flight to the Finish Line. It's so linear like in the Season 24 finale, so I wouldn't say I like it because the winner is determined basically from whoever finishes the memory challenge first. But I love the location, though.

In summary, your choices of locations, cryptic clues, and the first half of the final leg are excellent. But the second half of the leg let me down because of the linearity and lack of details.

nrh2110 - Manalapan, New Jersey

Show content
So teams start in Barcelona, in a majestic castle as well, where they have to fly to Newark, NJ. I would prefer you also include the screenshot of the flight later rather than just saying teams are taking an XYZ flight arriving in Newark at 2:10 PM. Your first clue using the 10-dollar bill, I find it hard to correlate between just a picture of Alexander Hamilton with the dueling grounds. Maybe it’s just my opinion since I’m not a US citizen, but I would prefer that you provide more context to the cryptic clue later.

At the dueling grounds, they get another clue to the Boxcar Bagel & Deli, where they have to make three dozens bagels. What are the steps? I don’t see baking and waiting for so long will be suitable for a final leg. Then, they have to go to Thomas Edison National Historical Park for a Roadblock. The task itself is excellent; however, I need to see the steps they have to complete.

After that, they have to go to Jenkinson’s Boardwalk and play a balloon dart game where they have to pop three balloons before getting another Roadblock. The Roadblock task doesn’t look that hard in words, but it can be confusing in real life. It’s also a new thing for the final task that correlates with only the Detours. Finally, they’re going to the Finish Line in a state park.

In summary, I think the tasks are excellent, except for the cryptic clue using the $10 bill. You didn’t provide any details for maps and flight as well, so later, please include those in your leg. Also, I think that the leg is a bit too short, but maybe “less is more” can be applied here? You’ll find out.

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika

BourkieBoy - Superior National Forest, Minnesota

Show content
So teams are starting in Winnipeg, Canada. The first clue instructs them to drive themselves to the airport and sign-up for individual charter flights. I don't like it because it just basically determines the team's order right at the beginning. So the first team to arrive at the penultimate Pit Stop will have a massive advantage in this leg.

Arriving in the forest, they have to find a marked 2013 Ford Mustang. So are we in the year 2013 right now, or you pick that model year only to fit with the picture given? Looking from the sponsor side, I don't think they'll provide the old model of their product. Then they have to drive to a campground where they have to set up a camp. While the task explanation is detailed, I don't see it as finale-worthy. I can see this task happening in the middle legs in the race, but not in the finale.

Then they have to make their way to a lake for a Roadblock. I have to say that this Roadblock is tough and nearly impossible to complete. Remember this task appeared in TAR26's Thailand leg as a Detour option? All teams who picked that eventually changed Detour, right? Also, why will they get a 4-hour penalty for the task that they don't have a chance to change, possibly risking the racer's lives? Seriously, I'm not fond of this task at all. Instead of endangering my life, I would instead take a 4-hour penalty and lose the $1 million prize.

They have to go to the Eagle Mountain base for a hiking task while collecting pictures of the race. Once again, this task won't look interesting to watch, especially at the finale. Where's the picture located? Are they in marked stations or attached to trees? On the top of the hiking track (I assumed), they find the second Roadblock. I think this task is too easy to complete. Teams will have the chance to discuss along the way to the top, and then it won't take them 2 minutes to complete this task, which is underwhelming. Finally, they have to drive to the Finish Line –I assumed that they have to walk down the path again to reach the base– in a monument. I like the Finish Line location anyway, so good job on choosing the right spot.

In summary, your leg is better fit as a leg in the middle of the race. Your first Roadblock is the pitfall for your leg because the production would get sued in case something happened to the racer. Your second Roadblock placement is also disappointing. It's not a "Roadblock" where only one team can perform since teams will already have an idea of what's coming next and plan before while walking through the trails. Finally, you said in your notes that you had done some tasks before, but you will never do it again. Why force others to do that task if you don't even want to do that at the beginning?

MikeDodgers - Talladega, Alabama

Show content
Okay, first thing first, your formatting reminds me of someone's style of formatting. Are you sure this is your original presentation style? I don't care about the "Previously on…" part. I'll score purely based on the leg, not on the fanfic because it's not a fanfic challenge. But it seems that you like Bopper & Mark, huh, since they always appear in your design.

So teams are starting in Nagoya Castle where they have to fly to Birmingham, Alabama. Arriving in Birmingham, what do you mean by "travel by taxi or marked Ford Mustang"? Why were teams provided cars to self-drive, but they have the option to take a taxi instead? It's just peculiar and just a waste of money for the production if somehow all teams are not using the vehicles. The first location is the Idlewild Plantation House for a Roadblock. The task is excellent in concept, but I don't understand what they should do. Maybe later you should give a video or steps on what they should do. I even searched for cotton milling, and I don't understand what the team can do because it's all machine operated.

Then they have to go to the Hall of Heroes Museum. But where's the picture of the location? If you don't provide a picture, I would think that it's a fictional place. Why do you use so many Route Info envelopes again? You can replace them with the location pictures right. Arriving in the museum, they have to search for statues then take a picture using a camera. While this task is excellent in terms of history, it does not fit for a final leg because it's boring. Please provide the pictures or even the statue of said key players, so I know that the statues are real and not made for this task.

After that, they have to go to the silk stocking district, with another no picture provided. Also, where's the clue box located? Making your way to an area to find their next clue is similar to saying, "Make your way to Brooklyn and search for your next clue." Please provide the exact location (a specific shop, for example) next time. Then teams have to solve a series of cryptic clues, but all of them are random.
Moreover, we have Kim Possible. I don't think everybody knows who she is. Are you sure that the locations are real as well? I cannot find a clue for it. A map would be nice next time.

Then they have to go to Talladega College's Swayne Hall. Finally, you have a picture of it. Here they will watch a video then answering a 20-question quiz. Seriously, in the finale? Also, what's the minimum score to get a C? Finally, they have to go to a NASCAR speedway. For the final Roadblock, I guess you're overly excited to imagine the last task that you wrote a long text for it. Tbh I'm baffled. While the flag part of the task can be done anywhere else, I think you want a visit on a NASCAR speedway, and you just combined types of tasks possible on that location, even though it may look weird. Then they proceed to the Finish Line, which is actually at the victory lane, which is underwhelming.

In summary, I'm confused about this leg. It's not screaming the final leg. I cannot imagine the adrenaline rush that the teams may have because it feels like an ordinary leg. Your presentation also doesn't improve after the last time I saw your leg in the previous TARDC. Your map and flight screenshots are not tidy with your Chrome tabs still there, you gave too many Route Info envelope pictures instead of the location picture, not forgetting that the sizes are not consistent. It's a fragile leg, especially for a final leg, and you're a veteran in the Design Challenge. If you survive this round, you must improve your design and presentation because I know that you can do it.

NELs - Waskish, Minnesota

Show content
So teams start in Winnipeg, Canada, where they have to fly to Minneapolis. The first clue is a cryptic clue, but I can’t say it’s cryptic because the word “Kensington” is the answer to the next location. Arriving in the Runestone Museum, teams have to ride a Viking longboat. Unfortunately, I don’t know the correlation between this location and the Vikings before I had to search on Google about this location. But I think it’s pretty weird to put a Viking longboat on the lake, even though there’s a museum dedicated to Nordic & Native American history.

They have to go to Menahga and find the statue of Saint Urho where they have to dress up as the Grasshopper King. Who is that? What does it look like? Please provide a picture of it later. This task looks off for me because I don’t understand the correlation with the location once again. After that, they have to go to the Headwaters of the Mississippi for a Roadblock. While I don’t understand US geography, this task is okay, but it is not fit for a finale.

Then they get another Roadblock after the first Roadblock, that’s pretty new. However, this is just another US geography kind of task, which is weird. Also, you didn’t provide both Roadblocks’ questions. After the second Roadblock, they get a cryptic clue directing them to Bemidji. It’s a pretty good task since it requires some navigation and knowledge of the area and can get some position scrambling. Finally, they have to go to the Finish Line in a recreational area, which is okay.

In summary, I understand that maybe you need more time to make the presentation in the Fantasy Game style. However, I think that you might need to learn it in the future if you make it into the next round. The problem is that I don’t know the locations well; hence I need a picture of them. Some of your tasks don’t scream final-worthy, with both Roadblocks just typical US geography quizzes with a twist. The Active Route Info with the grasshopper needs more explanation like the correlation or the history behind it. Otherwise, it will look like a random task for those who don’t know anything about that. You took a courageous attempt to visit never-before-heard locations (at least for me), so that’s good. But I need more than just a Wikipedia-style presentation for your leg to impress me.

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
Yeah...for being my first finale leg design, I figured I'd mess up. No one gets it right on the first go. When I planned this leg, I wanted to go with a civil rights theme, considering what was going on in our society at the moment with the Black Lives Matter protests. I wanted to showcase what sorts of barriers African-Americans had to go through in order to attain equality and how far we still have to go in order to achieve that goal of racial equality. With the final RB, considering we've already showcased the past and how far we have to go in the present, I wanted to showcase the ever-advancing technology in the future yet to come. I wanted it to be a leg with the profound message of 'history set the stage, now you write the last act. The future is yours to grasp.' So that's what I was going for.
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika

betheactress - Key West, Florida

Show content
We're starting in Medellín, Colombia. Teams are flying to Miami, then take another flight to Key West, which is nice. The flight option is also good. Arriving in Key West, they have to find the Southernmost Point Buoy, a beautiful location. After that, they have to go to a cigar factory for a Roadblock. I don't like that you state, "the racer who does not complete this roadblock MUST complete the final roadblock of the race." It just spoils what's coming in the future in this leg.

The first Roadblock is rolling cigars. I like the details of each shape they have to roll, which is exciting to watch. The next cryptic clue is subtle, but I don't know how the shirt reveals the following location. Does it have the name of the site written on it, or what? In the coral reef center, they have to bio frame coral. I like this task. It fits the finale vibe. Then they will be taken to a harbor where they will go treasure hunting. It's another underwater challenge, which is good, but quite repetitive since they've just had a diving part on the previous challenge. But excellent for the exact location since it's not a random one.

Arriving in Islamorada, they find another Roadblock. The Roadblock question is not that exciting anyway. Mainly it's the final task of the leg. While the task idea is good, I wonder what the difference between the clue boxes is? Is it going to be like the picture that you use, or maybe sometimes the clue box resembles a jar? You also didn't mention all types of clue boxes that they have to find for each leg(?). The amount of clue boxes is also not stated.

Finally, they're going to the Finish Line, which is in a kind of random park on the amphitheater. I'm not saying that it's a wrong choice, but I think that the park is a random one that's not too far from the previous task location.

In summary, your presentation is excellent with the route markers. I like your task's concept and idea, but there are some details that you missed here and there, and the second half of the leg has almost the same theme which is taking place in water, so it's quite repetitious.

redwings8831 - Roswell & Mescalero & Alamogordo, New Mexico

Show content
So teams start in Kobe, Japan. At first, I don't get why you picked the Elvis Presley Monument as the starting location, but since you directly correlate it with their first clue, I think that's fine. Arriving at Roswell, New Mexico, teams have to find the airplane that Elvis once had and retrieve their next clue from inside the aircraft, that's nice.

They have to make their way to the Int' l UFO Museum and Research Center, where they find a Roadblock. This Roadblock is exciting and fun to watch, especially if the editor adds some sound effects without exaggerating it. Their next location is the Trinity Site Ground Zero, which has an excellent background story. But, I think the ground zero is too far. Then, they have to drive again to the town of Mescalero to find a church. Once again, teams are driving too far. It takes around four hours of driving to pick two clues, which is too long.

In Mescalero, they have to perform crown dancing, which is just okay. Then, they have to go to a restaurant for another Roadblock. It's rare to see a culinary theme memory task, so thank God you incorporate that with this task; otherwise, I don't like it.

After that, they have to go to the town of Alamogordo to the Balloon Fiesta Park. This task is exciting to watch. I've always been hoping to see a hot-air balloon related task, and to finally be able to see it (although only in a fantasy leg), I'm pretty satisfied. Finally, they have to ride the balloon to the location of the Finish Line. This final part of this leg is pleasing to watch if it can happen on television, so great job.

In summary, I like this leg. Your locations are on point, although I'm not too fond of the 4-hour drive to retrieve two clues without any task. I think that the dancing task is not that needed this time. But your final task with the hot-air balloon that is the highlight of this whole leg.

Leafsfan - Hagerman & Twin Falls, Idaho

Show content
So teams are starting from Tokyo Skytree, which is an acceptable landmark as the starting line. They are flying to Boise, Idaho, where they have to find the Hagerman Fossil Beds. At the fossil beds, they have to build a replica of the Hagerman Horse skeleton. This task is pretty much the same as in the Season 18's China leg, but I like this version better since it has better relevance to the location. Also, I think that the size of the skeleton is not that big, so that teams would complete the task quicker.

Then they have to make their way to the Centennial Waterfront Park in Twin Falls for a Roadblock. The task is straightforward, but with a twist of questions at every stop. I like the questions asked because it's not just like the name of the country, but instead more complicated ones. Teams won't have much difficulty in this task, so that's fine.

After that, they have to make their way to a potato factory where they have to pack bags of potatoes. This task will be hard since there are so many potatoes involved, but it's quite similar to the task in the Season 26's Peru's leg.

After that, they have to make their way to the Twin Falls Fairgrounds for the final Roadblock. I love this task since it has never been seen before on the race. Also, teams won't straightforwardly recognize the gems. Your mistake is only that the Peru and Brazil's gems' URL are the same. I don't think that the augelite and brazilianite are the same types, so I guess that's a small mistake. Finally, they have to make their way to the Finish Line, which is located on Shoshone Falls.

In summary, your leg is a decent contender. Other than your tasks are the variety of tasks already seen on TAR, and a small mistake on the link in the final Roadblock, I don't have any more comments. I like the last Roadblock, and I think Idaho is a perfect location for that kind of task since it fits with the "gem state" nickname.

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
Also, admittedly...premiere legs are more my forte. So there was that factored in.

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika

Bookworm - Champlain Islands, Vermont

Show content
The teams start in Ghana, which is interesting since we never saw Ghana as the penultimate leg, so I'm looking forward to seeing the penultimate leg. The first clue is that they have to fly to Burlington, Vermont, and then drive to South Hero in the Champlain Islands, where they have to find a tool museum.

In the museum, teams have to make a colonial broom. I assume the broom does like in the picture? But you didn't mention the steps that they have to do to make the broom, maybe give a link of how-to is better than nothing. I also like the task relating to the upcoming Detour and that teams can decide whether they want to choose the Detour option directly or sweep the other room to get the other option. I wonder what information that the teams get other than "Cheese" or "Trees." Also, is there an option to change Detour eventually if teams decided to sweep both rooms before?

The Cheese option is pretty tricky since there are so many cheese wheels that they have to carry, but I think it's enough, especially for the finale. The Trees option is also good since it doesn't require physical skill, but only the team's memorization skill. Although you said that the Detour is reasonably balanced, I think that the Trees option is way easier. It is probably to make it harder, instead of giving the team glass frames, maybe providing them with a pile of the maple leaves instead, and then making the pile look scrambled, so teams have to find out the name of the maple tree from the pile first. That should make both Detour options more balanced.

After that, they have to go to the Grand Isle Art Works, where they have to create a driftwood sculpture. I like this task since it's the typical "building" task on the finale. Also, the fact that the sculpture may collapse adds more difficulty to that task, so that's nice.

Then they have to go to the Bird House Forest for a final Roadblock. While I love the concept, however, it's not an original idea since, as you said, you take inspiration from TAR13's final task. I would like to see more countries' flags also painted on the birdhouse as red herring to confuse the racers. Also, please provide the list of pictures of each leg later, since I want to know what kind of photos are there. Finally, they're going to the Finish Line, which is an okay location.

In summary, I love that you decided to pick Vermont since I think this state has much potential but underrated. The tasks also fit to be on the Final Leg, and the difficulties are pretty much the same. The Trees Detour and the final Roadblock could be planned and explained better. But so far, it's a pretty good job.

ZBC Company - Mojave Desert, California

Show content
So teams are starting in Inuyama, Japan. Okay, I'm already excited that you chose this location because Japan has so much more to offer than Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka. First teams have to go to Jo-an Teahouse, where they have to participate in a Japanese tea ceremony. Unfortunately, I'm not too fond of this task's placement because it does not affect the upcoming parts.

For the flights to San Bernardino, I think that a 10-minute transit in LAX is impossible, so I would prefer that teams get into a charter flight instead. Arriving in San Bernardino, they have to find the first McDonald's, which is now a museum. The problem is that you didn't follow the instructions given. I've told in the thread that they have to make their way to the rural area after landing directly. But this time, they have to make their way somewhere inside the city first. So, unfortunately, I have to give you another penalty for that.

After that, they have to make their way to Oak Glen to find an apple farm where they have to pick apples into three boxes, where the amount of apples corresponds to the answer of the question in each box. While this task is a mini-memory challenge, I also like how you incorporate the question with the location's theme.

They have to make their way back to San Bernardino to a stadium where they have to perform a Pow wow dance as a Roadblock task. While this task is okay, once again, you visit a city with more than 200,000 in population, which is breaking the rule for this round.

After that, they have to find helicopters to Calico Ghost Town Regional Park in Mojave Desert for another Roadblock (LOL at the Roadblock question!). Although this task is excellent in text, I don't know how to recognize real pieces of gold among fake ones, so please explain how to differentiate those. After that, they have to go to Fort Irwin National Training Center for basically a paintball task.

After finishing the paintball task, they have to go to the town of Baker to find the world's tallest thermometer, before driving again to Kelso Dune Field for the final task. Why did you say that the final task is going to make teams want to quit so badly? The final task is hard, in my opinion, because it's a history quiz on steroids. I hope that the questions they get have a connection with something they encountered during the race; otherwise, it will be merely an evil task. If this task is held at nighttime, other than it won't look nice on TV, it will become underwhelming. Finally, they have to drive again to the Finish Line.

In summary, I think that your leg is too long. If you skipped all the parts in San Bernardino, it will look better and maybe give more time for the final task to be held before sundown. For your presentation, I understand that there might be spelling errors. Still, I think you can provide better flow, like giving the images first before explaining the task, using consistent font sizes and font types, don't give a too long URL on the text, and resize the photos as well. Finally, because you break the rules several times by visiting locations inside a big city, unfortunately, I have to take some points off.

elthemagnifico - Oahu, Hawaii

Show content
So teams start in Manila, Philippines, where they have to fly to Honolulu, Hawaii. Arriving in Honolulu, they make their way to the Polynesian Culture Center, where both team members have to climb a coconut tree to retrieve two coconuts. This task is exciting since while it’s pretty dangerous, it can give some placements scramble right at the beginning.

Then, they have to make their way to BYU Hawaii to an auditorium for a Roadblock. While it’s culturally relevant, I prefer this Roadblock if it takes place somewhere else in an open area (to attract more audience). Also, this task can take a long time to complete if the racer doesn’t know music. After that, they have to make their way to a beach. On the beach, they have to build a traditional Hawaiian canoe and then ride the boat to find the next clue. I assume that this canoe is pretty much like the one in the film Moana, right?

Then, they have to make their way to a beach park for their final task. Okay, I like this Roadblock task. It’s perfectly fit for the state that you pick, and you also provided many details needed, like the correct flowers. I don’t have more comments about this task since I think you’ve explained everything I need to know. Finally, they have to make their way to the Finish Line in a ranch, which is also a beautiful location.

In summary, I love this leg. I can see this leg happening on the real TAR finale. You’ve provided all I need to know, so I don't have any comments given on the detail. Good job on your attempt, hopefully, you can keep up the excellent work.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
We're in the middle the jazzer it's hot extremely and we have seen teams quit before like in the dubai leg

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika

David - Knoxville, Tennessee

Show content
So teams are starting in Trinidad and Tobago. I like that teams stay on a yacht before starting the leg on the ferry terminal instead of starting on the remote island and making an unnecessary trip. However, it's pretty similar to the one in TAR28's Bali leg.

The first clue is already a cryptic clue, which directs them to Dollywood in Tennessee. Intricate details on giving the additional information there, so that's good. Anyway, was the small edit you meant is the green writing on the album? Because I don't know what else counted as "small edit." Arriving in Dollywood, if they can bring the real Dolly Parton that it'll be delightful. I hope that there's some task to pay tribute to the country music here, not just retrieving a clue.

Then, they have to make their way to an airport for a Roadblock. The Roadblock task is a generic extreme-activity task, but kind of on steroids because you combine the sky-diving part with swimming to a buoy then followed by riding a buggy. I don't understand the purpose of their teammate also flying on the plane without doing anything, though.

Then they have to make their way to a campground where they have to assemble a camping tent and its complements. This task looks like TAR18's final leg's task, so nothing exciting on that. After that, they have to make their way to a state park where they have to follow a hiking trail while collecting 11 flags. While this task doesn't look nice on television, also, I don't particularly appreciate that the flags are in order. If you put the flags in random order, it may cause some positions scrambling, which will be better.

Then they get the final Roadblock. For this task, I'm not sure that the teams pay attention to other teams' positions on the race because I think they'll only pay attention to their positions. So, in the end, I believe that this task will turn into luck and a brute force type of task, not as what you expect. Finally, they have to ride a tandem bike together to proceed to the Finish Line, which is in a great location.

In summary, I think your leg is too short for a final leg, with essentially only three tasks that they have to do. You also didn't provide any flight. The first Roadblock won't give a position scramble, the ARI actually could only if the order of the flags is randomized, and the second Roadblock could turn into a brute-force task. I think other than the Dolly Parton part,  all remaining tasks happening anywhere else with the same features, like a hiking trail, a small airport, and a lake/river/sea. I think that you make this leg in a hurry and I hope that you can allocate more time to do more thorough research about the location and tasks.

totumo - Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Show content
So teams have to make their way to Boston, then drive themselves to Cape Cod. My only problem is you don’t provide where teams are starting from in Buenos Aires, like where the previous leg’s Pit Stop is. Then, teams have to drive to the town of Bourne to the Cape Cod Canal Railroad Bridge for a Roadblock. I like the first Roadblock. The instructions are clear, but I wonder how the production will manage if there’s a boat or train that wants to pass. Also, because there seems to be only one station, the other teams have to wait for the current team to finish the task, which is not good, especially for the final leg.

The next clue is they have to find the “White House” or Cape Cod, the summer residence of former president Kennedy, for another clue. It’s not bad, although teams are not doing anything there. After that, they have to go to Truro Vineyards, where they have to harvest cranberries first before they have to collect cranberries and deliver them to a bar. This task is pretty challenging since teams have no idea how much cranberries they have to provide to make enough drinks. Driving back for 8 miles is pretty painful, especially for the finale, so that’s interesting to watch.

After that, they have to find the Pilgrim Monument to search for a race flag located on a beach. However, I’m not 100-percent sure that it’s going to be easy finding the race flag, especially that the location is pretty far when I see it on a map. What if the weather is poor at that time?

Then, on the beach, teams find another Roadblock. The Roadblock task is not an original one since it’s the same as TAR11’s Leg 4 Sign It Detour task. Although this task can also be done in the finale, it won’t be tough to complete if there are no fake pieces, such as a correct city but the wrong distance. Finally, they make their way on foot to the Finish Line in a lighthouse, which is a perfect location for a Finish Line.

In summary, I like your tasks, although your leg seems pretty short. The thing that can prolong the leg is the cranberry task, and the rest could be done in not a long time. Also, the final Roadblock is not an original one, and you didn’t mention any fake pieces provided, so that task won’t be that hard to complete. But for your first time designing a leg, it’s pretty decent.

BritishTARFan - Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Show content
So teams are starting in London at the Leadenhall Market, where they have to fly to Boston. Arriving in Boston, they have to go to the town of Falmouth in Cape Cod. At the oceanographic institution, they find the first Roadblock. May I know what are the native aquatic species to Massachusetts, and what are the Latin names? But a quiz task on the finale is not that interesting to watch anyway.

They have to go to the home of former President John F. Kennedy, to get a clue, which then instructs them to go to the Spanky’s Clam Shack for another Roadblock. This Roadblock is interesting since they have to match the leg number written on the lobster rolls wrapping with the name of the location written in a local’s t-shirt. I assume that the harbor is big enough to make the teams scrambled, and I hope that the pier will be packed with people to confuse the teams. If the dock is empty of other visitors, it will not be enjoyable to watch anymore.

They have to go to an airport where they will fly on a helicopter, taking them to Provincetown, where they have to travel by taxi to a candy factory. Now I like this task. It’s culturally relevant to the location, and it will look nice to watch. Later, for similar tasks like these, please provide the criteria for passing since I don’t understand how to tell if the teams complete that task. After that, they have to go to the Race Point Lighthouse.

At the Race Point Lighthouse, they find the final Roadblock, which is solving morse code. I like this task a lot since it’s also relevant to the state they are in. I have no much comments on this task because I love it. Finally, they have to run a mile to the Finish Line at the beach nearby.

In summary, it’s a beautiful leg, especially for the first time. I like all the tasks when they reach Provincetown, and that’s good because the production needs to keep the adrenaline high, especially near the end of the leg, so that the audience is also excited to watch it. I think the only task that I don’t really like is the first Roadblock, but thankfully it’s placed initially, so it doesn’t ruin the remaining leg.
I’m looking forward to seeing what else you can bring into this game in the future.

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
The crown dancing task (which is a sacred tradition of the Apache) was included to highlight the culture of the Mescalero Apache Tribe while teams were on their reservation, which is one of the only Native American/Indian reservations in Southern New Mexico.

And redwings, I love a finale in Roswell, New Mexico - how fun!

Thanks, welcome back! :conf:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:11:28 PM by redwings8831 »

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
Ahh thank You Kami for the kind words  :2hearts:

The criteria for finishing the Taffy challenge was that after stretching the dough continuously, the dough would become aerated and lighter. They'd have a confectionist with them, so they'd be told when it's done. This would take teams between 20-30minutes.

The harbour is adjacent to the restaurant and is meant to be a buzzing place especially in late May when this leg is meant to take place, so there would be plenty of people to distract the racers.

Also I have to agree with my first RB, I was originally gonna do a task where teams actually went on an expedition into the sea but it would mean the race would end much later in the dark which I didn't want  :groan:

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
I just add a poll for you to vote. The voting result WILL NOT affect the end results. I just want to know what the audiences are thinking on these legs. :tup:

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I think I'm going home this week

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
I think I may be able to do my own route images through Pixlr for the next round.