Author Topic: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Final Round Design Show on Page 50!  (Read 86428 times)

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
Re: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Round 1 Starts in Page 1!
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2020, 11:04:22 PM »

You can also access the real-time countdown to the deadline by opening this link: https://bit.ly/2D5qgWS
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2020, 11:16:33 PM »
This is where the dream started:

Hello DecliveBL!

I have a game that will start in a few hours time here in RFF called "TAR Design Challenge".

I am looking for a Guest Judge that is from South America, and I just learned that you are from Brazil! I am here to invite you as one of the guest judge for the first round of the game. It'll certainly be nice if someone from the region joins the judging panel since a local knows best. :D

Looking forward for your reply! :D Thanks!  :hearts:

Link to the thread: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,26383.0.html

The Host,
Cocoa  :hrt:

I was the first ever guest-judge of TAR DC.  :cheer: :luvya: :2hearts:
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2020, 11:18:29 PM »
Declive, I had no idea you were the first one!
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

-Theme song from 'Full House' (1987-1995)

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2020, 12:29:58 AM »
NVM.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 01:47:40 AM by David »

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2020, 02:41:00 AM »
Since everybody has picked their number, the password for the InfoEncrypt is ingodwetrust.

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2020, 04:16:28 AM »
Will be watching this. Good luck to all! I'm a lot more busy than I used to be so couldn't participate.
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2020, 05:37:09 AM »

Judge Kamineko Introduction

Hi guys! Thank you for applying to this season of TAR Design Challenge. I hope that you're doing fine and okay in these days. :luvya:

How's your design going for Round 1? Usually in previous seasons we always had the designers design a starting leg for Round 1, but this time we decided to throw you off right into making the final leg. I think that we've seen so many starting leg created since Season 1, but few final legs were created since each season has only two or three designers left on the final round. Hopefully this time you can feel the challenge of creating a final leg right at the start, which is actually more difficult than creating a starting leg.

Later when all the designs are posted in the Design Showcase, I will give my comment and feedback to each of your design. Please note that it will be purely my opinion, hence there might be some differences between judges (meaning that maybe I like one task, while the other judges don't).

I want to use this post to inform my criteria of judging, because I've seen many legs were created before and I know things that the designers missed that result in their elimination. I don't want to be too late to tell this later, so I think now's a good time.

ORIGINALITY & CREATIVITY
Like the name, I want to see original and creative ideas being put into your legs. I don't want to see tasks previously seen in TAR. Even if you design in a same country or location, as long as I can see something new then it's fine. You're also expected to be creative. Bring us something that we don't expect before.

TASKS
Of course tasks are the the main highlight of Design Challenge other than location. I want to see never before seen tasks. Also the tasks should be feasible to complete. Especially for Detours, I want both options to be balanced, meaning no option seems too easy while the other too hard to complete. I also like seeing tasks that is culturally fit with the location you visit. For example, if I see a delivery task, it's one of the most common tasks in TAR. But I want to know what makes this delivery task different than the other delivery tasks ever seen before. What cultural aspect you add to the delivery task that makes it interesting to see.

LOCATIONS
Like the previous criterion, location can be a make or break for a leg. It doesn't have to be a really good view or landscape if seen on TV, but maybe what kind of "chaos" it can bring to the racers.

PRESENTATION
This is one of the main criterion especially in my book. Because this is a "Design Challenge", so I expect your presentation is pleasing to see. For example, the font sizes -is it too big or too small-, text colors -is it easy to read or too bright-, image sizes -is it consistent with other images-. How you worded your tasks also important. Your design should have a good flow. I don't want to be confused when reading your leg design.

DETAILS
This is something that some designers missed in previous seasons that usually causing their elimination. If the racers are flying somewhere, what flight they're taking? Or if they're driving, how far is it? Provide a transportation detail and a map to make your explanation clearer. If you design a night leg, but the flight arrives in the morning, it's going to be weird. Or if you design a day leg but the flight arrives late at night, do you provide an Hours of Operation, for example. If you have something more to explain but not in the task description, write it on the detail part. Imagine that if anyone reads your design, what kind of question they will ask, then provide it in the design before they can ask.

That's it! Maybe it's pretty long but I have a really high expectation in this season. I will try my best to give you a constructive feedback, not only saying that it's bad, but also I'll try to give what can be improved later. I also will be more strict this time when giving score, so if you want a high score from me, you have to give your best.

Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor! :luvya:

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2020, 05:44:17 AM »
Also, another tips from me. Please refrain of using Photobucket to upload your pictures since the picture uploaded there has watermarks thus make it really annoying to see. :tup:

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2020, 08:28:23 AM »
Leg Design Update: Currently looking at flights around first week of December, following the November-December tape schedule of Amazing Race.
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2020, 09:06:53 AM »

*Open this link to see the realtime countdown: https://bit.ly/2D5qgWS

We have received submission from:

I will update this list every day.

Online Pi/

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2020, 09:34:21 AM »

Pi's Judging Criteria

Hello, designers! I'd like to wish everyone good luck for their Round 1 designs. America is a vast and diverse country, so I really hope to see lots of areas represented in your designs. Now that you all know which region of the United States you'll be designing in and have had a little bit of time to get started on your work, I want to let you know what criteria I use to judge your presentations.

If there's one thing you take away from these guidelines, it should be that attention to detail is paramount in your designs. It's your responsibility to include details to let the judges know the facts behind your design and your reasoning. Give us the 'why' that went into your decision to include a location, task, twist, etc. Also, don't overlook small details such as maps, transportation, leg money, etc. Attention to detail can affect your score in each of the categories I use, so make sure to explain your design as best you can!

Here are the 10 categories I'm using to score your designs. They're in no particular order, and each category is 5 points.

Originality
Creativity
Feasibility
Locations
Tasks
Cultural Relevance
Flow
Presentation
Theme of Round
Scoring Flexibility (Miscellaneous)

After the Design Show, you'll be receiving comments from me and the other judges to help give you feedback. Good luck, designers! :)
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #111 on: July 06, 2020, 09:47:32 AM »
now i am scared

Online Pi/

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #112 on: July 06, 2020, 10:07:48 AM »
now i am scared
Don't be! You'll do just fine. :hrt:
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2020, 10:11:36 AM »
Also, another tips from me. Please refrain of using Photobucket to upload your pictures since the picture uploaded there has watermarks thus make it really annoying to see. :tup:

I believe that is only on the free accounts...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2020, 10:14:12 AM »

I believe that is only on the free accounts...

If they're willing to pay then it's okay. But Imgur can provide a free service for that.

As long as I don't see any watermark in the pictures it would be fine whatever image hosting site they use. :)

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2020, 11:34:58 AM »

Guess now is my time to say hello to everybody.

I’m not going to do this too extensive, as my fellow judges have already summarized most of the aspects I will also take care at the moment of examine your works.

I will add some aspects I have a keen eye on: don’t try to impress me with too elaborated tasks. I’m a fellow designer, host of seven TAR games; so if I know something perfectly is that a lot of times simple is better, specially if we’re supposed to create a task that must be performed in the field on a real TAR. Also, I give a lot of credit when each task is built departing from a reliable source. Don’t use fictional data only to use it to create a challenge. It’s not going to work. And last, the leg must flow as the melange spice; therefore I’m expecting a sense of logic within the leg regarding locations of the tasks and route markers.

For those who have been in TAR DC IV is nothing new to say that I’m one of the most ruthless judges that this challenge ever had, and if the rest of you do not believe it… well, go there and check it by yourselves. So don’t expect anything but the same courtesy I had for them in this occasion.

Nothing else, guys. Good luck to all of you.

See you at the end of the round!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:39:11 AM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2020, 04:11:50 PM »
I'm none too sure on my first RB now, but I do have a pair of backup plans that take place in a different rural area. Is it okay if I have one task in one rural area, then the rest of the leg in a different rural area?

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2020, 04:24:29 PM »
Also, anyone who got the Northeast region or anyone doing the Northeast because of Designer's Choice, message me and I can help you out since I live in the Northeast.

Online Pi/

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2020, 04:29:32 PM »
Is it okay if I have one task in one rural area, then the rest of the leg in a different rural area?
That's completely fine. :tup:

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2020, 04:31:22 PM »
I will add some aspects I have a keen eye on: don’t try to impress me with too elaborated tasks. I’m a fellow designer, host of seven TAR games; so if I know something perfectly is that a lot of times simple is better, specially if we’re supposed to create a task that must be performed in the field on a real TAR

Got me worried about my Memory Challenge  :duno:

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2020, 05:53:37 PM »
Complicated can work when explained well - the best tasks can be tasks that look simple on the outside but actually have a lot of moving insides.

Offline betheactress

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2020, 10:22:35 PM »
What's the current format for wikipedia style? Do we put non roadblock/detour tasks under additional or do we make it one big paragraph?

Also, how do you make your screenshots not look so gigantic?

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2020, 10:45:07 PM »
What's the current format for wikipedia style? Do we put non roadblock/detour tasks under additional or do we make it one big paragraph?

Also, how do you make your screenshots not look so gigantic?

Usually in Wikipedia, for example here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race_31, Roadblock and Detour tasks are in paragraphs. Additional tasks or info are put in separate section on bulleted list/unordered list.

There are two options for image resizing:
1. Resize the image first in your computer, you can use Paint or similar applications, then upload the resized picture in any image hosting sites.
2. Use this code:

Code: [Select]
[img width=XXX]...[/img]
Replace the XXX with the desired image width. :tup:

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2020, 10:28:37 AM »
Bump to next page lol

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2020, 10:29:45 AM »

*Open this link to see the realtime countdown: https://bit.ly/2D5qgWS

We have received submission from:

Less than 5 days to go! :hoot: