Author Topic: Why the Amazing Race has lost its magic  (Read 105324 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Why the Amazing Race has lost its magic
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2009, 01:57:32 PM »
Ken curious why were you so upset that Tyler & James won that season?

Was it just personal dislike for them (Something I have a hard time understanding since all the footage has them being nicer overall then most of the final 6 teams of that season).

Was it just because they were young athletic men?

Was it because you honestly thought another team raced better?

Was it the EZ-Pass (which, even without it with the long stretch of running usually a staple in the final leg, they should have been able to keep the lead from Rob & Kim, plus they actually knew where they were going in New York City on foot, when Rob & Kim didn't)?

Something else?  A combination of things?

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2009, 02:29:28 PM »
For a few opinions.

Some things I don't like about TAR.

Casting. 
One of the single biggest factors on the race.  I don't want to hate any of the racers (thats just me I know a lot of people want to have someone who really pisses people).  You can have sneaky people who you don't hate, you can have couples with conflict that you don't hate.  For the most part TAR hasn't been too bad about this, but we have had exceptions (Season six had so many people I didn't like that it really, really turned me off).

Tasks - I know budget has been a huge issue for the show.  First get rid of the Fast Forward it truly serves no purpose.  Originally with it being in all but the last episode it gave every team the chance to use it and did make teams actually think.  With it just being one (or two) a season its simply a reward for being first.  I mean seriously since the end of season 4 how many times did the team that used the Fast Forward really need it?  So since it was cut to save money, cut it completely save a little more.

While I do love a humorous task on occasion, they have really increased in the last two cycles (and I think its too much).

More interaction with locals and culture during the tasks _ Again this is another budget related thing.  But I would rather have simple tasks that involved real locals and real culture then larger scaled tasks that are completely staged.

Navigation, Navigation, Navigation - Its a race around the world, I understand that the producers do need to keep some control over the race, but season 13 was simply unacceptable for how teams travelled.  Driving should be huge (and if you can't drive a stick or read a map then you have no business being here).  I also think you should not be able to pay a cab to direct you ever....Thats been a huge factor especially in season 10 and 11 (just a shocking amount of teams simply buying their way from one location to the next).

And for some positive comments -

In the last two seasons the producers have corrected (in my mind one of the biggest flaws the race has had).

The final leg:  This should be the most difficult leg to win.  This should be the leg where every mistake cost you.  I mean seriously for all but two seasons this has been the easiest leg to win, and thats just monumentally stupid.  Sure it gave us a great finish (even if you disagree with the results) in season 2.  But that same format (almost a direct copy of how it was laid out) was season 10, and look how completely anticlimatic.  I hope this season continues that.

Since season 10, the show has increased the number of clue that teams have had to figure out, it still isn't close to season one but its nice to see.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2009, 03:20:58 PM »
The final leg:  This should be the most difficult leg to win.  This should be the leg where every mistake cost you.  I mean seriously for all but two seasons this has been the easiest leg to win, and thats just monumentally stupid.  Sure it gave us a great finish (even if you disagree with the results) in season 2.  But that same format (almost a direct copy of how it was laid out) was season 10, and look how completely anticlimatic.  I hope this season continues that.

Since season 10, the show has increased the number of clue that teams have had to figure out, it still isn't close to season one but its nice to see.

I think they made a huge step in the good direction when they started having the final Detour and/or Roadblock in the final destination. What's the point of having all the "big" task in another city if teams will most likely bunch for a flight (All-Stars) and in the end is just a race for the fittest?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2009, 08:02:25 PM »
I agree with cdfe88 on this. Casting several teams all about equal in their performance potential is the key to the most successful amazing Races. In AR14, we have the final 4, but we also had Amanda and Kris and Brad and Victoria who bit the dust early but could have gone all the way.

This i really agree with. But i guess producers could have never guess which teams would go far or what. I would have expected Aja and Ty and Anthony and Stephanie of last season to go far as well..

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
Tasks - I know budget has been a huge issue for the show.  First get rid of the Fast Forward it truly serves no purpose.  Originally with it being in all but the last episode it gave every team the chance to use it and did make teams actually think.  With it just being one (or two) a season its simply a reward for being first.  I mean seriously since the end of season 4 how many times did the team that used the Fast Forward really need it?  So since it was cut to save money, cut it completely save a little more.

This i completely agree with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2009, 08:05:25 PM »
Yeah, either do it all the way, a FF in every episode, or none at all. When no team takes it, it's a waste of money.
Just here to visit.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2009, 08:12:38 PM »
Yeah, either do it all the way, a FF in every episode, or none at all. When no team takes it, it's a waste of money.

And it's just somehow weird teams are not taking the FF this season for no reason.. the first place team would not have taken the FF because they think they're in the lead.. while the last place team won't take the FF because they believe they're at the back and someone have gone before them.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2009, 06:13:05 AM »

And it's just somehow weird teams are not taking the FF this season for no reason.. the first place team would not have taken the FF because they think they're in the lead.. while the last place team won't take the FF because they believe they're at the back and someone have gone before them.
I'd suggest to put the FF right next to the Cluebox, but make it extra difficult/embarassing/gross/etc. That way teams will know if someone's already attempting it, but it also won't be such an easy decision to take it
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2009, 06:19:56 AM »

I'd suggest to put the FF right next to the Cluebox, but make it extra difficult/embarassing/gross/etc. That way teams will know if someone's already attempting it, but it also won't be such an easy decision to take it

I know this would work.. but i believe editors like it better when the Terence/Sarah and Nick/Starr battle for the FF occurs (travelling to a place on a taxi race).. so that they have more things to include on their show.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2009, 09:57:16 AM »
For a few opinions.

Navigation, Navigation, Navigation - Its a race around the world, I understand that the producers do need to keep some control over the race, but season 13 was simply unacceptable for how teams travelled.  Driving should be huge (and if you can't drive a stick or read a map then you have no business being here).  I also think you should not be able to pay a cab to direct you ever....Thats been a huge factor especially in season 10 and 11 (just a shocking amount of teams simply buying their way from one location to the next).

In the last two seasons the producers have corrected (in my mind one of the biggest flaws the race has had).

I have a couple of comments. Mswood, I completely agree with you on driving stick shift and rading maps. If an individual is not proficient in both, they should not be cast.

On finales since AR10 (which I agree was just a series of tasks before and after a transatlantic flight, I think World Race Productions has been doing an excellent job:
AR11 - the Old Mint match game was a bit lame, but it was totally innovative and somewhat interesting
AR12 - the scale was one of the most clever endings I have ever seen
AR13 - the placement of task pictures onto the correct slots on the game board was really interesting
AR14 - it looks like this will be a "place surfboards with episode detail into the correct order" task; that will be fun to watch

Going back a bit, other interesting finale tasks were:
AR3 - twirl the animals into the correct sequence they appeared
AR8 - fill in the map of the U.S. with the shape of states

In order words, I like to see the finale decisive task testing the brainpower and memory of the teams. The more of this we get, the better.

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2009, 07:44:38 PM »
For a few opinions.

I have a couple of comments. Mswood, I completely agree with you on driving stick shift and rading maps. If an individual is not proficient in both, they should not be cast.

On finales since AR10 (which I agree was just a series of tasks before and after a transatlantic flight, I think World Race Productions has been doing an excellent job:
AR11 - the Old Mint match game was a bit lame, but it was totally innovative and somewhat interesting
AR13 - the placement of task pictures onto the correct slots on the game board was really interesting
AR14 - it looks like this will be a "place surfboards with episode detail into the correct order" task; that will be fun to watch

In order words, I like to see the finale decisive task testing the brainpower and memory of the teams. The more of this we get, the better.

the maze in tar5 was pretty cool

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2009, 07:50:26 PM »
In conclusion, AR 6 Pizza eating, AR 7 Little Havana and AR 10 running around everywhere, was just plain lame. :funny:

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2009, 08:16:22 PM »

I really miss the driving and self-navigation.  They really only drove once this season in Siberia and that was just around the city.  Last year, they really only drove around New Zealand.  Think of all of the great driving episodes from the past.  It seems like the race is stuck in a plane-taxi cab rut.

On the bright side,  many viewers must like the new style since the show is now consistently outpacing Extreme Makeover in the ratings.  That definately is a good sign.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2009, 08:37:29 PM »

I really miss the driving and self-navigation.  They really only drove once this season in Siberia and that was just around the city.  Last year, they really only drove around New Zealand.  Think of all of the great driving episodes from the past.  It seems like the race is stuck in a plane-taxi cab rut.

On the bright side,  many viewers must like the new style since the show is now consistently outpacing Extreme Makeover in the ratings.  That definately is a good sign.

If there's loads of driving.. i doubt the all-female teams will do well. Look at how Kisha and Jen nearly died in Siberia.. not being a sexist here.. but it seems like all-female teams always have navigation problems. (Meredith/Maria, Debbie/Bianca, Danielle/Dani, Godlewskis.. -_-)

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2009, 10:49:23 PM »
For a few opinions.

Yeah, I loved that maze as well.  Probably one of my two favorite final tasks of all time (the one in TAR4 with the riddle they had to solve to find their seat with the clue in it @ Sun Devil was also awesome IMO)
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2009, 11:15:28 PM »
For a few opinions.

Kogs, I just don't see it that way. That maze took a maximum of 10 minutes for Chip/KIm and Colin/Christie. A good task in the finale should be designed to take more than half an hour. In Amazing Race Asia , the best one (ARA2) was very quick only for the winning team of Collin/Adrian. For the other 2 teams, it did take over 30 minutes. The ARA3 final task at Rang Yai Beach near Phuket, digging in the sand took hours, but I don't consider to be a particularly effective decisive task.

Offline sharkshooter

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2009, 07:57:08 AM »

I also have tired of the taxi sequences.  I know taxis are cheaper than having cars available, but really, should someone win or lose based on whether they get a cabby who dosn't know where to go, or should someone win or lose based on their dirving or navigatign skills?  For me, there is no question which would, at the same time, be more exciting and more fair.

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2009, 09:14:34 AM »
For a few opinions.

Kogs, I just don't see it that way. That maze took a maximum of 10 minutes for Chip/KIm and Colin/Christie. A good task in the finale should be designed to take more than half an hour. In Amazing Race Asia , the best one (ARA2) was very quick only for the winning team of Collin/Adrian. For the other 2 teams, it did take over 30 minutes. The ARA3 final task at Rang Yai Beach near Phuket, digging in the sand took hours, but I don't consider to be a particularly effective decisive task.

yes it could have been done better but there was also another picture they had to find that was edited out. i would show it to you but the episode is on my other computer

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2009, 09:42:30 AM »
It could be insurance issues or local merchants knowing that a US TV production company wants to use cars jacking up their prices, but the producers thinking about budget could think that having a taxi could be much cheaper.

I would prefer watching the racers self-navigate, but you have to look at the big picture. CBS is cutting back on everything.
Just here to visit.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2009, 10:07:51 AM »
It would be nice to have decisive tasks in every leg of the race, but without luck based events, we would very rarely see an upset.

Look at season 13. The entire race was very much a race to get led by the nose to your next destination, with very little luck involved. And we saw the strongest team come out and dominate, winning all bar 3 legs.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2009, 04:53:04 PM »
The TAR5 final task had a picture from every leg, but I guess Apskip's still right about it not being decisive - if it was it wouldn't have been edited out!

Still don't like the proportion of luck-based events. One way to mix things up is to give the racers more rope to hang themselves with (less spoon-feeding), or to have a variety of tasks that play to different strengths.

I'm not sure if Americans have a fixed mindset that it's got to be cars versus taxis, with public transportation being a novelty thing (in the race context). Apart from say a handful of major cities, everyone needs a car/taxi to get around, right? I'd dare say that public transport ridership is immensely low compared to the rest of the world, where (get this in your head, BvM) it is a very viable third option to taxis and cars.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2009, 05:02:37 PM »
It would be nice to have decisive tasks in every leg of the race, but without luck based events, we would very rarely see an upset.

Look at season 13. The entire race was very much a race to get led by the nose to your next destination, with very little luck involved. And we saw the strongest team come out and dominate, winning all bar 3 legs.

I agree. As much as I hated the hay in Season 6 Leg 3, without luck tasks, the race would simply be too predictable. Lately, however, the producers have used taxis as a luck element that is present in every leg, so maybe they haven't felt the need for any luck tasks. I just wish that the tasks (rather than the taxis) had more bearing on the result.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

NoluckBoston

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2009, 05:22:04 PM »
Does anyone else miss the Intersection? It would have been great towards the end of this season. What If Luke and Kisha had to work together.

I always loved the clues that just gave you a picture and you had to find out where it was located, or find the Local. I thinks a few clues should be hard. But not impossible like the final to Season 12. That was crazy!

For me I was always upset they brought in Big Brother/Survivor losers. We already saw these bums. Why do we need to see them again.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2009, 10:05:27 AM »
Does anyone else miss the Intersection? It would have been great towards the end of this season. What If Luke and Kisha had to work together.

I always loved the clues that just gave you a picture and you had to find out where it was located, or find the Local. I thinks a few clues should be hard. But not impossible like the final to Season 12. That was crazy!

For me I was always upset they brought in Big Brother/Survivor losers. We already saw these bums. Why do we need to see them again.

I do miss the Intersection (it was a necessary evil for our entertainment's sake :snicker:)

And yeah I think they should make more difficult clues (maybe a couple like the 'find the monument' clues in S1). And IMO, the final task in S12 was total awesomeness, it didn't only test the memory but logic skills as well, best.final.task.ever

Agree on the celebreality recycling thing...I hated the fact that Romber got additional help due to their fame (something I hated in AS as well)
The story so far:

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2009, 10:16:49 AM »
This season 15 is the epitome of what's gone wrong with the Race. Homogenous cast, total route control, and pre-packaged/barely cultural tasks. Haven't been this bored by a season since 12.

Here's hoping they shake things up with the Race at least one more time before the franchise dies.