Author Topic: Why the Amazing Race has lost its magic  (Read 106575 times)

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
Re: Why the Amazing Race has lost its magic
« Reply #225 on: December 26, 2009, 05:27:19 PM »
I don't like NEL penalties, but I can't stand the bunching after an NEL that can save some last-place teams which deserved to be eliminated earlier. The TBC, if used properly, can fix that.

The U-turn, if it was available more often, would provide an extra element of strategy.
I'd think that to make the U-Turn more user-friendly, they should include the number tags the Yield had. At least then, the teams would have more things to base their decision on.
I totally agree with that. At least if Kynt & Vyxsin knew they were fourth, they might've been able to realise that Nathan & Jennifer were behind them. I do love the Blind U-Turn though - I can't wait to see a team actually survive that and then be in surprise.
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #226 on: December 26, 2009, 09:29:42 PM »
I don't like NEL penalties, but I can't stand the bunching after an NEL that can save some last-place teams which deserved to be eliminated earlier. The TBC, if used properly, can fix that.

The U-turn, if it was available more often, would provide an extra element of strategy.
I'd think that to make the U-Turn more user-friendly, they should include the number tags the Yield had. At least then, the teams would have more things to base their decision on.
I totally agree with that. At least if Kynt & Vyxsin knew they were fourth, they might've been able to realise that Nathan & Jennifer were behind them. I do love the Blind U-Turn though - I can't wait to see a team actually survive that and then be in surprise.

The reason K & V decided not to U-Turn Nate and Jen is because N & J left the Detour end point well before them, so it only stood to reason that the pair would be in front of K & V.

Offline Aualagi

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #227 on: December 27, 2009, 01:45:58 AM »
Hi! First post here.

When I do my own fantasy Amazing Race seasons, I've suffered, often, a incredible lack of creativity planning fast forwards and stuff. So, to do the strategic role the FF used to do, I've inserted a twist called "Free Pass": Before a detour, once in a game, you may choose skip the task and go to the next clue. That's not so advantageous as a FF, but you don't need to accomplish any task either. It may be developed, though.

And I think since a leg had already a task to be done, there will never be a bunching point: It make that task senseless.

But after all, just the "Amazing Race - travel around the world, trivial people, and do stuff that you never was able to do" always shiver me a lot.

(sorry this brazilian messy english :))
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:50:38 AM by Aualagi »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #228 on: December 27, 2009, 02:00:54 AM »
Welcome to the forum Aualagi :hithere:, you sound just fine to me.

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #229 on: December 28, 2009, 05:06:06 PM »
So, to do the strategic role the FF used to do, I've inserted a twist called "Free Pass": Before a detour, once in a game, you may choose skip the task and go to the next clue.

I think this is a great idea! All teams at the start of the race get 1 "Free Pass" that they can use any time during the whole of the race. So for example, they can get stuck on a detour task so they decide to use the free pass to skip the task and go to the next clue. It can only be used once so its best to keep it as long as you can (excluding the last leg of course).
"I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding a map."

Offline smiley

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #230 on: December 28, 2009, 05:59:28 PM »
So, to do the strategic role the FF used to do, I've inserted a twist called "Free Pass": Before a detour, once in a game, you may choose skip the task and go to the next clue.

I think this is a great idea! All teams at the start of the race get 1 "Free Pass" that they can use any time during the whole of the race. So for example, they can get stuck on a detour task so they decide to use the free pass to skip the task and go to the next clue. It can only be used once so its best to keep it as long as you can (excluding the last leg of course).

so would you be able to skip the roadblock..?

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #231 on: December 28, 2009, 07:57:20 PM »

Either roadblock or detour not sure? What do you think? Maybe a detour because its a task for both team members.

I think it will make good TV as the team arriving at the detour last, can skip it and overtake teams that are already there. Could make for some close finishes.
"I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding a map."

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #232 on: December 28, 2009, 08:09:44 PM »
^Now that's a good twist that can't cost production money.

Offline smiley

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #233 on: December 28, 2009, 11:03:03 PM »

Either roadblock or detour not sure? What do you think? Maybe a detour because its a task for both team members.

I think it will make good TV as the team arriving at the detour last, can skip it and overtake teams that are already there. Could make for some close finishes.

OMG! "Person 1 & Person 2, currently in last place"
They use the Free Pass
"Person 1 & Person 2, currently in 1st place"

AHA! All in a matter of seconds LOL!

True.

Oh, and they could change the name possibly. Cuz all the clues are 'street ish' names. E.g. Roadblock, detour, yield, u-turn, pitstop.
They could change it too Side Road...highway....Express Way or even car pool lane haha.

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #234 on: December 29, 2009, 12:20:16 AM »
They use the Free Pass

Ummm not quite... if they were the last 2 teams that means all the others could have finished that task already and already heading towards the next pitstop so how could they get to 1st place?

Also, if there were a bunch of teams on the same task, 1 teams uses the free pass so the rest may get the urge to use theirs as well. I honestly think this is a good idea.

Offline realshowfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Frantic Fanfic Fanatic!
« Reply #235 on: December 29, 2009, 01:47:28 AM »

True.

Oh, and they could change the name possibly. Cuz all the clues are 'street ish' names. E.g. Roadblock, detour, yield, u-turn, pitstop.
They could change it too Side Road...highway....Express Way or even car pool lane haha.

All except Fast Forward that is (Switchback is in fact, a 'street ish' name). And I think Highway sounds like the best name for it. Should there be limitations to how many teams use it at once, though?

And they should have 'Toll', where a team forces a team to give up some of their money, the twist I used.  :cmaslol
This summer ※ The Amazing Race: ZBC // RSF
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,31363.0.html

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #236 on: December 29, 2009, 10:26:55 AM »
They could call it the FasTrak.  I like this idea.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #237 on: December 29, 2009, 10:40:39 AM »
Call it the EZ-Pass! Then they could work in a sponsorship deal, easing some budget concerns, and it would be a glorious shout out to the decisive factor in Tyler and James' season 10 win!

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #238 on: December 29, 2009, 02:12:44 PM »

True.

All except Fast Forward that is (Switchback is in fact, a 'street ish' name). And I think Highway sounds like the best name for it. Should there be limitations to how many teams use it at once, though?

And they should have 'Toll', where a team forces a team to give up some of their money, the twist I used.  :cmaslol

Actually, with the mention of the Toll and the EZ-Pass, I think it would make sense for the teams to give up all of their money in order to skip a task.  That way, it would be rather difficult for multiple teams to go for it simultaneously.  Plus, they have to factor in whether the task they are skipping is the last one before the pitstop.  FWIW, they might think their RB or Detour is the final one (having done the other earlier), but all of a sudden, they run into a random task that everyone has to do.  It may be challenging.

I think a FasTrak kinda item would be nice.  I could see them adding this.  However, soon after in the following season or subsequent seasons, they'd make a rule stating which legs teams can or cannot use them.  Hopefully not, since they could make that rule in a leg with a very difficult task.  It should be reserved for a leg in which one couldn't get their money back in a certain country that prohibits begging.  Finally, they would make a rule stating that it's valid thru the final 5 (while there are at least 5 teams remaining in the race).  While there have been FFs (used) in the penultimate episode/leg three times from TARs 2-9, I doubt TPTB would have someone earn a free pass to the final dash to the Finish Line.  Especially if the three eventual finalists all end up using theirs (even if they saved theirs until the last minute)
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #239 on: December 29, 2009, 02:26:11 PM »
Bypass or Fastrak sounds nice. Giving up all your money sounds harsh though, especially if a team bypasses a task and then realizes they have to take a taxi to the pit stop.

Offline smiley

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #240 on: December 29, 2009, 04:54:40 PM »
They use the Free Pass

Ummm not quite... if they were the last 2 teams that means all the others could have finished that task already and already heading towards the next pitstop so how could they get to 1st place?

Not true. What if all the teams are pretty close together...and the team that uses it are last or whatnot and use it and they skip ahead.

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #241 on: December 29, 2009, 05:03:17 PM »
Not true. What if all the teams are pretty close together...and the team that uses it are last or whatnot and use it and they skip ahead.

Well then the other teams will see that they are going to skip so they will have to decide whether to use their free skip or not. If they do, then it will be a close race to the finish line or to the next task.

They only get 1 free pass remember in the whole race so it brings a lot more strategy into it.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #242 on: December 29, 2009, 05:08:23 PM »
The amounts of money the teams seem to be getting nowadays doesn't seem to be enough as it is, as teams appear to be begging for cash, and I hate, hate, hate, teams having to beg. I didn't like stripping teams of their cash as an NEL penalty, so I don't like it for any other aspect of the Race.

Another name could be "Bypass."
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 12:01:45 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #243 on: December 29, 2009, 05:22:49 PM »
Fair enough.  But there has to be something else that the racers could do to earn Fastrak, bypass, etc.  I personally do not believe that these things should come to them for doing nothing.  IMO, they shouldn't automatically get it at or near the start, they need to earn it.

They could do a small questionnaire.  Could be a multiple choice on the events that has happened during the AR series so far, or during their race (as future teams would catch on).  Whoever gets it right (the fastest) get the pass to be used whenever.  Or if all the teams get it all right, then all the teams can claim that pass (with one team using it per leg).

Or, if that doesn't work, it could be like Survivors Hidden Immunity Idol, where teams would have to search around the area to find it, which would bring in "real" clues more often during the course of the race.  BTW, I also think that it shouldn't be made available until the third leg or until they lose two teams, whichever comes second.  With 10+ teams, if you can't beat at least one of them, then you don't deserve to continue racing.  Yeah, bad luck happens and someone has to go first, but OTOH, the bypass or whatever won't guarantee a win, the F3, or a high finish outside the F3 (5th or 4th).
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #244 on: April 20, 2010, 06:20:51 PM »
What makes a season magical, special, or memorable, to me, are once-in-a-lifetime spectacles where real-life or real-emotion takes over and reality-tv or the race becomes almost an afterthought. 

Locations, tasks, and race routes only meant something to me in TAR1.  After the first season, I never cared much about where they went as long as I saw a spectacle somewhere along the way.

Even though I might not be a huge fan of certain seasons, like TAR2/TAR4/TAR6, I give them credit for at least being memorable to me because they all had an event or moment that I consider to be unique.

I appreciate TAR1-TAR7 and TAR14 for having these special moments, and that's how I remember seasons. 

• TAR1: Everything was unique.
  • TAR2: Oswald & Danny go shopping.
  • TAR3: Diesel-gate, and Andre & Damon getting what I consider to be the scariest and worst taxi ride in the history of the race.
  • TAR4: Female racers getting molested on Indian trains.
  • TAR5: Colin and the police.
  • TAR6: Jonathan & Victoria's blow-up.
  • TAR7: Brian & Greg flipping and crashing their vehicle, and Meredith & Gretchen getting bloodied and battered.
  • TAR14: Margie collapsing at the Pit-Stop, Margie & Luke and Kisha & Jen's physical and verbal explosion, and Kisha & Jen taking a bathroom break.

I thank TAR13 for having Toni & Dallas lose their passports and for them to not be able to recover their passports in time to avoid elimination, but it's no longer unique because the same thing happened to Zev & Justin in TAR15.

The problem that I have with TAR8 to TAR12, TAR15, and TAR16 through 9 episodes, is that I haven't seen anything new that I consider to be on the same level as the events from TAR1 to TAR7 and TAR14.  To me, the TAR8 to TAR12, TAR15, and TAR16 casts were/are just going through the motions and mailing it in.

I'm not expecting, and I don't want, another Brian & Greg-level crash every season.

I want to see fresh and exciting moments, which is what I love about TAR: US and TAR: Asia and what I think makes the show special and magical.  If nothing happens in a season, then it's partly the fault of the casting directors, but the rest of the blame is entirely on the cast.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #245 on: April 20, 2010, 08:21:05 PM »
I personally watch for the locations, because it's a foregone conclusion that one or more of the teams will be annoying on the TV. (Who specifically is your opinion.) The shifting of the emphasis from the locations and route to the teams and tasks is arguably what's strangling the show imo, although the quality has transitioned into better ratings (what does this say about society  :groan:). Viewers are very picky when it comes to their favorites, but they genuinely agree that the locations chosen (well mostly in early seasons) are beautiful.

However, on the flipside, the cast did partially redeem the second half of TAR 14, which probably had the most unoriginal planning out of all the editions. I like competitive teams that respect each other and don't argue amongst themselves.

Offline Mr. Seattle

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2010, 01:08:07 PM »
Bypass or Fastrak sounds nice. Giving up all your money sounds harsh though, especially if a team bypasses a task and then realizes they have to take a taxi to the pit stop.
I totally agree with this. Begging is awful and mean (IMHO), but I think that if TPTB gave each team an Express Lane (my favorite name for it) at the beginning of the race and told them to use it whenever or exchange it. That could make for some interesting drama. Say, a team lost/used theirs, but their ally was willing to give them theirs in exchange for some money.

I think that the other good idea for how to use the Express Lane would be to hide it in the general vicinity of the cluebox, but give them a few clues. Then, if someone took it, teams could waste time looking in the correct spot, but still believe that it is there.

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #247 on: April 23, 2010, 03:30:39 PM »
What makes a season magical, special, or memorable, to me, are once-in-a-lifetime spectacles where real-life or real-emotion takes over and reality-tv or the race becomes almost an afterthought. 

Locations, tasks, and race routes only meant something to me in TAR1.  After the first season, I never cared much about where they went as long as I saw a spectacle somewhere along the way.

Even though I might not be a huge fan of certain seasons, like TAR2/TAR4/TAR6, I give them credit for at least being memorable to me because they all had an event or moment that I consider to be unique.

I appreciate TAR1-TAR7 and TAR14 for having these special moments, and that's how I remember seasons. 

• TAR1: Everything was unique.
  • TAR2: Oswald & Danny go shopping.
  • TAR3: Diesel-gate, and Andre & Damon getting what I consider to be the scariest and worst taxi ride in the history of the race.
  • TAR4: Female racers getting molested on Indian trains.
  • TAR5: Colin and the police.
  • TAR6: Jonathan & Victoria's blow-up.
  • TAR7: Brian & Greg flipping and crashing their vehicle, and Meredith & Gretchen getting bloodied and battered.
  • TAR14: Margie collapsing at the Pit-Stop, Margie & Luke and Kisha & Jen's physical and verbal explosion, and Kisha & Jen taking a bathroom break.

I thank TAR13 for having Toni & Dallas lose their passports and for them to not be able to recover their passports in time to avoid elimination, but it's no longer unique because the same thing happened to Zev & Justin in TAR15.

The problem that I have with TAR8 to TAR12, TAR15, and TAR16 through 9 episodes, is that I haven't seen anything new that I consider to be on the same level as the events from TAR1 to TAR7 and TAR14.  To me, the TAR8 to TAR12, TAR15, and TAR16 casts were/are just going through the motions and mailing it in.

I'm not expecting, and I don't want, another Brian & Greg-level crash every season.

I want to see fresh and exciting moments, which is what I love about TAR: US and TAR: Asia and what I think makes the show special and magical.  If nothing happens in a season, then it's partly the fault of the casting directors, but the rest of the blame is entirely on the cast.

Now, can I give you a big hug for thinking TAR 14 as one of special seasons!!! I still wish that Mom and I won the footrace against Kisha & Jen. That would have been so priceless.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #248 on: April 23, 2010, 08:17:11 PM »
Luke, when you get the chance, please ask Phil what his criteria is for his favorite seasons.

In his EW blog for the TAR14 finale, Phil listed your season, 14, along with 1, 3, 5, and 7 as some of his "personal favorites."  I would like to know because those five are also my favorites.

There's no way that Phil wouldn't answer you or Margie.  In that blog, he also said, "Luke and Margie were definitely one of my favorite Teams we’ve ever had on the show."

Thanks.

Offline targamer

• Poster
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #249 on: April 23, 2010, 09:33:31 PM »
We had former racers here!! Cool!