Author Topic: American Idol Season 7  (Read 131465 times)

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
Re: American Idol Season 7
« Reply #225 on: May 14, 2008, 12:09:23 PM »
....i love the movie that the first time i saw your face was in [play misty for me]

a older clint eastwood movie, eastwood played a radio DJ..and this crazy but pretty woman would call him every night and ask him to play misty for her...eastwood had a one night stand with the woman, and the woman started stalking him, eastwood went back to his girlfriend that he loved so much the crazy woman tried to kill eastwood's girlfriend!....it showed eastwood and his girlfriend walking on the beach, with the song the first time i saw your face playing![I also cried watching that ] eastwood kills the stalker in the movie! if no one has seen that movie [Play Misty For Me] try to, it is a very good movie and eastwood is so FINE LOOKING in the movie! it might be a older movie but it was ahead of it's time! GREAT GREAT JOB COOK! :jam:...

Yes I saw the movie (believe it or not in a movie theater when it came out in 1971) Geez I'm aging myself  :lol: And it is a great movie and the song is beautiful.  I agree if you haven't seen it rent it and see it.  Jessica Walter and Donna Mills are also really good in it.  Good edge of your seat psychological thriller as the reviews call it! 

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #226 on: May 14, 2008, 02:35:27 PM »
Anyways I'm sure Disney will sign him up because David A surely will fit into that genre singing what Disney tells him and having the 7 thru 13 year olds croon over him.  And that is only if he puts his dad in his place because not sure Disney will put up with his antics. 

You know, I was thinking this myself the other day.  He fits with the Disney marketing scheme.  Young, good looking kid with a cute personality.  He'd probably do well on Disney and having that market ready-made for him would give him some time to grow up.  Once he ditches his dad and starts doing what he wants to do, he may find himself enough to carve out a niche in mainstream music, but he just doesn't seem to know what he wants or who he is yet.

Offline sunshine26

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #227 on: May 14, 2008, 02:50:18 PM »
Anyways I'm sure Disney will sign him up because David A surely will fit into that genre singing what Disney tells him and having the 7 thru 13 year olds croon over him.  And that is only if he puts his dad in his place because not sure Disney will put up with his antics. 

You know, I was thinking this myself the other day.  He fits with the Disney marketing scheme.  Young, good looking kid with a cute personality.  He'd probably do well on Disney and having that market ready-made for him would give him some time to grow up.  Once he ditches his dad and starts doing what he wants to do, he may find himself enough to carve out a niche in mainstream music, but he just doesn't seem to know what he wants or who he is yet.

i so agree with your post......DA would be GREAT in a disney sitcom.....i dont see DA selling...millons of cd's...it aint going to happen...period... i did like Jordon last year [i didnt vote for her] she was what 17 also...where is she at today??? i know she does some concerts BUT she didnt sell either! there is wayyyyyyyyyy to many pretty young girls just like Jordon who do the same thing, that are BIG.. i knew AI wouldnt be able to market her, just like they wont be able to market DA! you can just see the look on Simon's face, he really wants cook to win this! :yess:
A Day Without Sunshine, Is..Well...Night.

Offline sunshine26

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #228 on: May 14, 2008, 03:02:06 PM »
hi ya! rosesrred,  :waves: when you can get through a line alot, that means more votes [i know it sounds like it doesnt make sense, but it does] cuz while the other lines are tied up.[for the other idols] i.e staying busy, we can get more votes in for DC! :wohoo: so keep on trying and voting......and you are NOT old! for knowing that movie Play Misty for Me! [1971] which you are right on, [a great movie] my GREAT grandpa is 93 years old he still drives across the USA..he has beautiful full hair, a gengous Tan! and he ROCKS!...my father in law is in his late 50's i am 27 if i wasnt married , i would date him lol :ascared....he is just so GREAT looking, i just think age is a #...some of the most beautiful women are in thier 40-60's.....you rock on, with your young self! :jam:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 03:05:16 PM by sunshine26 »

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #229 on: May 14, 2008, 03:38:40 PM »
hi ya! rosesrred,  :waves: when you can get through a line alot, that means more votes [i know it sounds like it doesnt make sense, but it does] cuz while the other lines are tied up.[for the other idols] i.e staying busy, we can get more votes in for DC! :wohoo: so keep on trying and voting......and you are NOT old! for knowing that movie Play Misty for Me! [1971] which you are right on, [a great movie] my GREAT grandpa is 93 years old he still drives across the USA..he has beautiful full hair, a gengous Tan! and he ROCKS!...my father in law is in his late 50's i am 27 if i wasnt married , i would date him lol :ascared....he is just so GREAT looking, i just think age is a #...some of the most beautiful women are in thier 40-60's.....you rock on, with your young self! :jam:

Awww   I, too, believe you are as young as you feel and I'm somewhere between the ages of the most beautiful women!!! :lol:  Got my fingers crossed for David Cook!  I bet you're on pins and needles.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #230 on: May 14, 2008, 06:58:51 PM »
I've been thinking about it all day, perhaps it might be best (but not for David A) if Sayesha and David C don't win. Little David needs to grow up a little and find his niche whatever it may be. David C can make it on his own now and would have more artistic control over his work and Sayesha will be on Broadway. Either way though, I'm fine with whichever one wins.

I don't know what has possessed Simon, he has always been snarky but this year seems worse to me than ever. He controls the show, the other two, Randy and Paula have their roles but if Simon issues the KOD, that's usually byebye and last night Sayesha was the target.

Loved David Archuleta's first song, I really did, the other two were not good.

The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #231 on: May 14, 2008, 08:08:48 PM »
 :groan: I missed yesterdays show wow David C's song made you guys cry, I can't believe I missed it.

Anyways I'm watching tonights show  :wohoo:

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #232 on: May 14, 2008, 09:40:03 PM »
I've been thinking about it all day, perhaps it might be best (but not for David A) if Sayesha and David C don't win. Little David needs to grow up a little and find his niche whatever it may be. David C can make it on his own now and would have more artistic control over his work and Sayesha will be on Broadway. Either way though, I'm fine with whichever one wins.

Hey, TL!  Yeah, I know what you mean.  I agree, David Cook will make it regardless of whether he wins or not, but it's not about David Cook needing to win American Idol.  I made this point a few pages back, but I think it's worth saying again, David Cook doesn't need American Idol but American Idol needs David Cook to win. 

I think it only takes looking at this year's slip in ratings to see that there's a problem with AI.  One of those problems is that their credibility is being threatened.  The only two winners to really make it in mainstream music are Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood.  Otherwise, the winners have been relegated to niche genres.  I'm not saying that they aren't successful, but they just haven't reached the level of success that would be expected of an AI winner.  Jordin Sparks, Taylor Hicks, Ruben Studdard....where are they?  Yes, they are all performing, but none have music that plays anywhere on mainstream radio, TV, etc.  And I'm sorry, but did you SEE Fantasia tonight????  The look on Simon's face said it all...you could literally see him thinking about what a trainwreck that was.

I do believe that David Archuleta could be a very successful performer, but not yet.  It's just not his time yet.  (I think this why we haven't heard much of Jordin Sparks either....she was also 17 when she won.)  He needs time to mature as a vocalist and an artist.  He needs to find a market for himself (which is why I think Disney should snap him up like NOW) where he can just be a young, cute, sweet kid, and keep singing until he figures out exactly what kind of performer he wants to be.  He needs the opportunity to try alot of different things so that he can find himself.  Oh, and he needs to dump his dad completely!

David Cook is ready to go NOW.  He's ready to cut an album and be successful with it.  He's the rocker and the producers know that.  Even though 19 would control his first album, that's not necessarily a bad thing.  I think they did pretty well with Carrie Underwood's first CD.  The thing that David and Carrie have in common is that they both established themselves and the TYPE of music they wanted to sing on the show. When viewers voted for Carrie, they knew what they were going to get from her, and the same holds true for David.  We have a pretty good idea who David C. is musically from what we've heard on the show. 

So, no, I don't think David C needs to win AI...he'll be great either way.  But AI really needs David C to win before the become just another hack talent show on TV. 

Offline cherrypeep

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #233 on: May 15, 2008, 08:26:24 AM »
Vote for the Worst is pushing David A.  So all you David Cook fans will need to call your butts off next week otherwise Cookie will not win.

I dont think I can do the whole 5 hours since I have to get up so early the next morning but I will call as much as I can until I pass out thats for sure.

Offline sunshine26

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #234 on: May 15, 2008, 09:08:15 AM »

Hey, TL!  Yeah, I know what you mean.  I agree, David Cook will make it regardless of whether he wins or not, but it's not about David Cook needing to win American Idol.  I made this point a few pages back, but I think it's worth saying again, David Cook doesn't need American Idol but American Idol needs David Cook to win. 

I think it only takes looking at this year's slip in ratings to see that there's a problem with AI.  One of those problems is that their credibility is being threatened.  The only two winners to really make it in mainstream music are Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood.  Otherwise, the winners have been relegated to niche genres.  I'm not saying that they aren't successful, but they just haven't reached the level of success that would be expected of an AI winner.  Jordin Sparks, Taylor Hicks, Ruben Studdard....where are they?  Yes, they are all performing, but none have music that plays anywhere on mainstream radio, TV, etc.  And I'm sorry, but did you SEE Fantasia tonight????  The look on Simon's face said it all...you could literally see him thinking about what a trainwreck that was.

I do believe that David Archuleta could be a very successful performer, but not yet.  It's just not his time yet.  (I think this why we haven't heard much of Jordin Sparks either....she was also 17 when she won.)  He needs time to mature as a vocalist and an artist.  He needs to find a market for himself (which is why I think Disney should snap him up like NOW) where he can just be a young, cute, sweet kid, and keep singing until he figures out exactly what kind of performer he wants to be.  He needs the opportunity to try alot of different things so that he can find himself.  Oh, and he needs to dump his dad completely!

David Cook is ready to go NOW.  He's ready to cut an album and be successful with it.  He's the rocker and the producers know that.  Even though 19 would control his first album, that's not necessarily a bad thing.  I think they did pretty well with Carrie Underwood's first CD.  The thing that David and Carrie have in common is that they both established themselves and the TYPE of music they wanted to sing on the show. When viewers voted for Carrie, they knew what they were going to get from her, and the same holds true for David.  We have a pretty good idea who David C. is musically from what we've heard on the show. 

So, no, I don't think David C needs to win AI...he'll be great either way.  But AI really needs David C to win before the become just another hack talent show on TV. 

great, great, post!...yep! DC will make it, but like you said AI needs COOK!....plus the winner gets more promo! more spotlight, 19's lable knows what to do for Cook! Bo was a rocker BUT he was a 70's type rocker [i did like Bo] but i knew he wouldnt sell in mainstream not like carrie would in mainstream country, Cook has that sound for [today's] mainstream rock music! plus by the time his first cd sells MILLONS he will be out of the 19 contract, plus cook wants to WIN THIS he said it in a intreveiw...he knows that he needs to be in the main spotlight! to keep selling....yep! AI needs cook to win, i also believe DA is to young, just like jordon, DA doesnt know what he is [yet] and he needs to find himself, i havent heard what he wants???? he hasnt said what type of music he wants to put out, cuz i believe he will do just about anything he is told to do! this is why he will NOT sell JMO! he needs to grow and find out what he wants to be! [what type of music, preformer actor etc etc he wants to be in life] i really believe syesha will be just fine! she is more of a actor than a singer, she wants broadway, TV..or even the big screen, she was smart she went on AI to get her name out there to jump start what she wants...cook is ready NOW! he knows who he is, and what he wants, Chris D's cd sold over a million and 19 records produced him also, so they will also work with cook to put out a cd that cook wants. and like Chris D, cook will sell! he just HAS TO WIN! i really want another REAL WINNER to be the next AI....and that would be COOK! yep! Simon's face said it all! [fantasia] :ascared..my hubby even saw it...yes she just did the color purple on broadweay, and i heard she was great! but she has NEVER sold her music!

side note to cherrypeep, i know we got to VOTE like CRAZY, VFTW had DA last week also! it's going to kill me lol, BUT i am going to do the whole 4 or 5 hours in voting! i havent done that but only one time in the past for a idol! but it looks like i MUST do it again lol VOTE COOK!!!!!!!!!!!! i know Chris D, taylor hicks, Bo bice, and carrie fans are voting for COOK! DA has A HUGE fanbase, cook does also, BUT DA has 10-13 year olds that will text....texting is a BIG key...i cant believe 10-13 year old's parents would let them spend that kind of money, it is like 25 or 50 cents a vote, plus they text hundreds at a  time, [thats alot of money] i cant do that, i have 2 cells and 3 lanelines so i'm going to do my BEST to make sure COOK wins this!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #235 on: May 15, 2008, 09:36:59 AM »
Y'all have convinced me, David Cook for the win because AI needs him, not the other way round.

A few thoughts about the show last night, Vanillalatte, you said it, the look on Simon's face when Fantasia was singing was priceless. He had a look like WTH IS this! Her performance was manic, there is no other word for it.

David A was so shocked that he was in the final that David C literally had to help him move to the couch. I really don't know why he was so shocked except he is so young and unsure how good he really is. (A much better attitude though than some of the contestants over the years who think they are a super star when in fact they are pathetic.)

Sayesha was a class act, no tears, she flashed her beautiful smile and sang her way out in style.  :tup:

(BTW, how the heck do you guys vote for 5 hours? DialIdol??) ???

Offline sunshine26

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #236 on: May 15, 2008, 11:25:47 AM »
hi ya! TL i vote for 5 hours with my fingers :ascared it is a hell of alot of work....dail a idol is just a site that shows who is leading in busy singles! there are systems out there that do the voting for you [i dont trust them] it is just voting until you cant vote anymore....i really feel COOK deserves and should win this! that is the only reason i am voting my butt off this season! the guy is just GREAT!.. and i would love to make his dream come ture, AI better PRAY that cook wins this, and NOT DA cuz i dont see DA selling for AI..i just dont see it! what is he pop?, a ballard singer? i dont know who that kid is! all i know is i listen to the kind of music that cook sings, he has the voice that will SELL and he knows what he wants...the guy will be BIG! DA IMO is more like a kid for a cute TV sitcom, but a super star millon cd seller [no way]  if he wins [DA] will follow in the same shoes as past winners that didnt sell...the only 2 super stars that won are carrie and kelly, it is time for another winner that will have the TITLE of AI to win this! and sell, sell, sell......GO COOK!!!!!!!!!! :jam:

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #237 on: May 15, 2008, 02:02:51 PM »

:tup: Wow sunshine what a loyal dedicated fan you are.

I'm sure all your hard work and persistence will pay off  :wohoo:

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #238 on: May 15, 2008, 09:28:02 PM »
My sister called me from Missouri and was so sad Syesha left she really liked her and said the same thing about David A that we have been saying.  It's funny even my morning news, yet again, said they totally got it wrong and the final two should be David Cook and Syesha. I won't be surprised if David A wins and they don't even count the votes!

But on a side note here in sunny so cal Jordin Sparks is on our radio all the time with her Tattoo song and now a new one (can't remember it) and on  XM radio top 20 and kiss stations she's on a lot.  And even though he wasn't a AI winner Daughtry is on the radio all the time too.  And he sells out stadiums everywhere.  And another well known AI not winner is Jennifer Hudson.  Oh and Clay Aiken isn't he doing Broadway?   But I think Cook will be another Daughtry and do just fine.   ;)

And yes, Simon's face was a classic moment when Fantasia was singing and dancing (was that what you call it)

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #239 on: May 15, 2008, 09:43:48 PM »
And even though he wasn't a AI winner Daughtry is on the radio all the time too.  And he sells out stadiums everywhere.  And another well known AI not winner is Jennifer Hudson.  Oh and Clay Aiken isn't he doing Broadway?   But I think Cook will be another Daughtry and do just fine.   ;)

And yes, Simon's face was a classic moment when Fantasia was singing and dancing (was that what you call it)

roses, that really helps make my case.  There have been way to many cases where the non-winners have done better than the winners.  Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson, and Clay Aiken are just a couple of examples.  There's also Elliot Yamin whose album is doing very well, Kimberly Caldwell and Justin Guarini who are on TVGuide Channel as hosts, and Kimberly Locke who recently release her second album and was a spokesmodel for Lane Bryant.  Kelli Pickler, Bucky Covington and to a slightly lesser degree Josh Gracin have all done incredibly well in mainstream country and Phil Stacey just released a country album that is already doing very well.  All of these examples except Guarini are of non-winners who did better than the winner of their season.

AI needs their WINNER to be successful.

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #240 on: May 15, 2008, 11:24:10 PM »
And even though he wasn't a AI winner Daughtry is on the radio all the time too.  And he sells out stadiums everywhere.  And another well known AI not winner is Jennifer Hudson.  Oh and Clay Aiken isn't he doing Broadway?   But I think Cook will be another Daughtry and do just fine.   ;)

roses, that really helps make my case.  There have been way to many cases where the non-winners have done better than the winners.  Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson, and Clay Aiken are just a couple of examples.  There's also Elliot Yamin whose album is doing very well, Kimberly Caldwell and Justin Guarini who are on TVGuide Channel as hosts, and Kimberly Locke who recently release her second album and was a spokesmodel for Lane Bryant.  Kelli Pickler, Bucky Covington and to a slightly lesser degree Josh Gracin have all done incredibly well in mainstream country and Phil Stacey just released a country album that is already doing very well.  All of these examples except Guarini are of non-winners who did better than the winner of their season.

AI needs their WINNER to be successful.

vanilla I just know Daughtry has said NOT winning AI has been the best thing for him.  And he is the biggest moneymaker and record seller since AI began!  I like him because he loves his wife and to me that's important!

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #241 on: May 16, 2008, 10:29:47 AM »
This one is for RudyRules and Sunshine  :hugs:

Taylor Hicks to play in Broadway's Grease

The "American Idol" alum will join the Broadway cast of "Grease" on June 6, playing Teen Angel in the revival of the popular musical.

The gray-haired singer - whose "Idol" fan base was called "The Soul Patrol" - said he plans to add "soulful flavor" to his performance of "Beauty School Dropout." The flashy role, he said, is "a classic fit for a classic performer."

"It's a big number, and, you know, I've made some pretty grand entrances before," Hicks told The Associated Press on Thursday. "And this one is probably the grandest entrance I've had in my career."

Well, besides "Idol." Hicks, 31, took home the title in the fifth season of the top-rated Fox show - the biggest stage on television.

He later lost his record deal with J Records, a label within Sony-BMG, which signs the show's singers, and had been looking for the perfect part to make his debut on The Great White Way.

"If you're gonna be a great entertainer and you're gonna be a great performer, than these are the things that you have to do to season yourself in that manner," said Hicks, who views this "opportunity of a lifetime" as a way to improve his "Idol"-tested skills.

The Alabama-born crooner's run ends Sept. 7. He'll be the latest "Idol" to hit Broadway, following runs by season-three winner Fantasia Barrino ("The Color Purple") and a host of also-rans including Clay Aiken ("Spamalot"), Diana DeGarmo ("Hairspray") and Constantine Maroulis ("The Wedding Singer").

Hicks' self-titled, post-"Idol" album, released in December 2006, has sold a respectable 702,000 copies, according to Nielsen Soundscan data. But it didn't reach the 1 million mark or register a hit song, unlike previous "Idol" winners.

This summer, Hicks intends to finish up a follow-up album - on his own terms.

"I've had the creative freedom and the time to write some of the best music that I've ever written in my whole life. ... The options are unlimited and there has been some great interest now that I'm a free agent, so to speak," he said.

Source: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PEOPLE_TAYLOR_HICKS?SITE=TNMEM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #242 on: May 16, 2008, 10:42:49 AM »

:funny: I think Peter has been reading our posts complaining about the 1 hour results show

.... an intersting article

When "American Idol" returns for its eighth season in January, it will still be a singing competition. But get ready for some significant changes in terms of how the show is produced.

Acknowledging that he's not pleased with the performance of the show this year, Fox Chairman Peter Liguori told reporters during a conference call Thursday that he has met with the show’s producers and “everyone is really committed and excited” to revamp the show next year.

“Both the network and the producers really want to take a look at  the show for next year and see what we can to do inject it with new levels of energy and new unpredictable twists and turns and ramp up the storytelling,” Liguori said.  “We do constantly want to make this show the most relevant, zeitgeisty show on TV to keep it on the tips of everyone’s tongue.”

Liguori said the writers strike is partly to blame for the show’s ratings declines. 

“We think the show has somewhat suffered from the post-strike malaise of folks watching less broadcast TV,” he said.

Asked whether the cast was also responsible for viewers turning away, President of Entertainment Kevin Reilly replied:

“Let’s put it in some context. ...It’s not like it’s in the death throes here,” he said. “There’s some real charm in that cast. Whether it’s caught the world on fire, I don’t know. Some of it is just natural maturity of the show. It’s been a phenomenon, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t go through some natural aging just like any other show. We’ll do some of those creative twists next season, and we’ll see what comes out of it."

Liguori also said that the Wednesday results show will, at least on most weeks, go back to a half-hour. One thing that won’t change: the people sitting at the judges table.

“We love Paula,” Liguori said, responding to a question. “She’s coming back.”

Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2008/05/when-american-i.html

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #243 on: May 16, 2008, 11:14:08 AM »
For your entertainment pleasure... My favorite quote: "The online chatter today is divided between Fantasia: Hot Mess and Fantasia: Shook the Place Up! camps." 

"American Idol": Fantasia Turns Simon Speechless!

by Kristi Turnquist, The Oregonian
Thursday May 15, 2008, 11:49 AM

"The real surprise in Wednesday's "American Idol" results show wasn't Syesha Mercado getting the boot -- that was the most foregone of conclusions. It was the eye-popping, brain-rattling, what-did-I-just-see performance by former "Idol" winner Fantasia. Just as the show was lulling me into a peaceful snooze -- a typical reaction during the filler that pads the show until the announcement at the end -- Fantasia hit the stage to sing something called "Bore Me." Talk about an ironic title. With her short hair dyed fire-engine red, Fantasia leapt around the stage, hollered and wailed, and danced as if she was suffering an appendicitis attack.

It was one of the the most chaotic numbers in "Idol" history, but it sure wasn't boring. Adding to the crazy, the director cut to a Simon reaction shot -- Cowell was caught in open-mouthed, wordless amazement. Those crafty "Idol" powers-that-be knew this was a moment made to be YouTubed, and sure enough it was (see above). The online chatter today is divided between Fantasia: Hot Mess and Fantasia: Shook the Place Up! camps.

The show never quite recovered from the Mt. Fantasia eruption. But the predicted outcome came -- scrappy Syesha got the yank, setting the stage for what the producers have clearly been wanting all along, a David vs. David finale next week.

The real surprise in Wednesday's "American Idol" results show wasn't Syesha Mercado getting the boot -- that was the most foregone of conclusions. It was the eye-popping, brain-rattling, what-did-I-just-see performance by former "Idol" winner Fantasia. Just as the show was lulling me into a peaceful snooze -- a typical reaction during the filler that pads the show until the announcement at the end -- Fantasia hit the stage to sing something called "Bore Me." Talk about an ironic title. With her short hair dyed fire-engine red, Fantasia leapt around the stage, hollered and wailed, and danced as if she was suffering an appendicitis attack.

It was one of the the most chaotic numbers in "Idol" history, but it sure wasn't boring. Adding to the crazy, the director cut to a Simon reaction shot -- Cowell was caught in open-mouthed, wordless amazement. Those crafty "Idol" powers-that-be knew this was a moment made to be YouTubed, and sure enough it was (see above). The online chatter today is divided between Fantasia: Hot Mess and Fantasia: Shook the Place Up! camps.

The show never quite recovered from the Mt. Fantasia eruption. But the predicted outcome came -- scrappy Syesha got the yank, setting the stage for what the producers have clearly been wanting all along, a David vs. David finale next week.

So who's gonna win? My prediction is..."

http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index.ssf/2008/05/american_idol_fantasia_turns_s.html

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #244 on: May 16, 2008, 11:31:49 AM »
Good job CA!

Acknowledging that he's not pleased with the performance of the show this year, Fox Chairman Peter Liguori told reporters during a conference call Thursday that he has met with the show’s producers and “everyone is really committed and excited” to revamp the show next year.

“Both the network and the producers really want to take a look at  the show for next year and see what we can to do inject it with new levels of energy and new unpredictable twists and turns and ramp up the storytelling,” Liguori said.  “We do constantly want to make this show the most relevant, zeitgeisty show on TV to keep it on the tips of everyone’s tongue.”

Liguori said the writers strike is partly to blame for the show’s ratings declines.   

The results show has become boring and in particular the phony wait.... after a commercial break, the tedious hour and worst of all the crappy phone calls.

I'm thinking that it was more interesting when we had guest judges along with Paula, Randy and Simon. I suppose we'd have to put up with their singing/ad for the results show but hopefully not. 

One addition this year that I like, letting the contestants can play an instrument. One memorable standout for me, Jason playing the ukulele, another with Brooke playing the piano. 

Perhaps after the final we can come up with more suggestions for AI to consider.

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #245 on: May 16, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
My goodness!  Look at all the AI news today!

Re: Taylor Hicks - Yep, he's going to lay the Teen Angel in Grease. He was also interviewed on the Today show today.

Re: Fantasia - No "hot" about it...that was just a mess!

Re: Changes next season - Well, I think rather than trying to come up with new twists, they should go back to what made the show successful in the first place.  More focus on the contestants and the competition, less focus on Seacrest and the judging panel.  And as far as changing back to 30 minute format for results....it's ABOUT TIME!

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #246 on: May 16, 2008, 12:23:58 PM »
For your entertainment pleasure... My favorite quote: "The online chatter today is divided between Fantasia: Hot Mess and Fantasia: Shook the Place Up! camps." 

With her short hair dyed fire-engine red, Fantasia leapt around the stage, hollered and wailed, and danced as if she was suffering an appendicitis attack.

:funny: Oh TL I had to burst out laughing over that one.

I always thought she sounded a bit like a reaction after a trapped Donald Duck.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #247 on: May 16, 2008, 12:38:16 PM »

The results show has become boring and in particular the phony wait

Perhaps after the final we can come up with more suggestions for AI to consider.

:lol: They have to know viewers have learned to tune in 5 minutes before the hour is up to hear who was eliminated.

Let's do that seeing they are willing to listen to what we think lacks or our dislikes and causes viewers from not tuning in.

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #248 on: May 16, 2008, 12:44:13 PM »

The results show has become boring and in particular the phony wait

:lol: They have to know viewers have learned to tune in 5 minutes before the hour is up to hear who was eliminated.

Or to add to that ca bb they must have the results of all the dvrs that are recording during that hour and then fastforwarding through the majority of the program.  :lol:

Let's do that seeing they are willing to listen to what we think lacks or our dislikes and causes viewers from not tuning in.

Or to add to that ca bb they must have the results of all the dvrs that are recording during that hour and then fastforwarding through the majority of the program.  :lol:

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #249 on: May 16, 2008, 12:50:28 PM »

:funny: Oh yes that certainly has been noted in several posts, I think they bookmarked our thread  :angel: