Author Topic: American Idol Season 7  (Read 130624 times)

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: American Idol Season 7
« Reply #175 on: May 06, 2008, 03:46:58 AM »

:popcorn: The Final 4 perform tonight Tuesday May 6th, their favorite music from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

And on Wednesday May 7th  Maroon 5 and former American Idol 4 runner-up Bo Bice will give live performances

and one more idol will be eliminated

Offline sunshine26

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #176 on: May 06, 2008, 09:40:32 AM »
Here's a thought....

Bring back BIG BAND WEEK!!!  I don't understand why they got rid of that one!  I'd go for getting rid of Broadway week, if it meant the return of Big Band.  How could anyone forget the week that Kelli Clarkson finally emerged as a true threat to Tamyra Gray and Justin Guarinin?  It was just that week that began her surge to the forefront and ultimate win!  And Big Band is another style that doesn't allow the vocalist to hide in a niche...they have to show true vocal skill!

yes i LOVED when AI had big band week, that was when Kelley broke out as the leader, that was a GREAT show! i am with ya! [bring back big band week]  :wohoo:
A Day Without Sunshine, Is..Well...Night.

Offline sunshine26

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2008, 09:43:31 AM »

:popcorn: The Final 4 perform tonight Tuesday May 6th, their favorite music from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

And on Wednesday May 7th  Maroon 5 and former American Idol 4 runner-up Bo Bice will give live performances

GREAT PICTURE thanks cc bb fan...luv ya! girlfriend :hugs:

GO COOK!!!!!!!!!! SHINE ON!!!!  ROCK ON!!!!!! and VOTE!!!!!!! lol,...for DAVID COOK!!!!!!!!!!

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2008, 11:32:22 AM »

I love when they can pick their own songs!  So I'm with you ca bb let's get out the and have a great evening!  :wohoo:

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2008, 12:01:37 PM »
I love when they can pick their own songs!  So I'm with you ca bb let's get out the and have a great evening!  :wohoo:

:lol: Yup rosesrred that's what I plan on doing tonight. Don't forget to watch HK  :tup:

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #180 on: May 06, 2008, 01:33:25 PM »

:lol: Yup rosesrred that's what I plan on doing tonight. Don't forget to watch HK  :tup:

Are you kidding me that's my #1 show on Tuesdays everything else is secondary I need me my Gordon fix (oops is that ok to say on your anniversary  :funny:)

Offline AmyKeith

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #181 on: May 06, 2008, 02:47:55 PM »
David's musicality and rare interpretation of the music by his voice is appealing to all age groups. He has a new sound and a new interpretation of music. His music invites you in, to enjoy & relax--a natural high, awash in endorphins.

The entertainment media and apparently some people in my age group don’t know what to do with him b/c it isn’t cool to like a nice, kind, humble kid so they take the easy way out and lampoon and bash him at every juncture. AI format has not allowed him to select nor sing the songs that show his musicality to its maximum except early on.  When he leaves AI and gets to control of his song selections and arrangement, all will be forgotten by the entertainment media as to his age. We will see some rapid turnabouts.

Oh, btw, I am a music/communications major at a university.  A lot of my friends in the collegial music world (those 20+ year olds you are talking about that people think don't get DA) are looking forward to David A's first album and we are voting like mad--we get technology a little better than tweens. 

Oh, and scrub the age bias from your brains tonite for a few secs; listen to DA without the blinders you have put on!  You may not like his sound, but he has talent and then some. 

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #182 on: May 06, 2008, 03:21:36 PM »
David's musicality and rare interpretation of the music by his voice is appealing to all age groups. He has a new sound and a new interpretation of music. His music invites you in, to enjoy & relax--a natural high, awash in endorphins.

The entertainment media and apparently some people in my age group don’t know what to do with him b/c it isn’t cool to like a nice, kind, humble kid so they take the easy way out and lampoon and bash him at every juncture. AI format has not allowed him to select nor sing the songs that show his musicality to its maximum except early on.  When he leaves AI and gets to control of his song selections and arrangement, all will be forgotten by the entertainment media as to his age. We will see some rapid turnabouts.

Oh, btw, I am a music/communications major at a university.  A lot of my friends in the collegial music world (those 20+ year olds you are talking about that people think don't get DA) are looking forward to David A's first album and we are voting like mad--we get technology a little better than tweens. 

Oh, and scrub the age bias from your brains tonite for a few secs; listen to DA without the blinders you have put on!  You may not like his sound, but he has talent and then some. 

Hi, Amy!  Welcome to RFF! 

I have a degree in Music Education and taught choral music and private voice for quite awhile (long story why I'm not anymore, but that's beside the point! :)).  I totally get what you're saying about David A.  Yes, the boy has talent, there's no denying that, but I don't think AI/pop music is where he fits.  I'd think he might do well on Broadway or in some other genre, but AI's target audience isn't going to go out and snap up a million copies of "David Archuleta Sings Broadway Hits" or "David Archuleta's Ballads Across the Years". 

Honestly, as much as true musicians would like to think it is, American Idol is not about finding the next great vocalist...if it was, Tamyra Gray, Melinda Doolittle, Latoya London, etc, etc, etc would have all been winners.  American Idol is about finding a super star, someone with charisma and that "it" factor that no one can seem to define or teach.  Yes, they need to be able to sing as well, but without the other qualities, they won't win.  They also need to be able to fit into a genre that is going to sell records.  These are the areas where I think David A will come up short.  As great as his voice and musicality are, he's just not a star...at least not yet.

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2008, 05:35:35 PM »
here is tonights songlist:

David Archuleta -- "Stand by Me" by Ben E. King and "Love Me Tender" by Elvis Presley (cover by Norah Jones)

David Cook -- "Baba O'Reilly" by The Who and "Hungry Like the Wolf" by Duran Duran

Jason Castro -- "Mr. Tambourine Man" by Bob Dylan and "I Shot the Sheriff" by Bob Marley (cover by Eric Clapton)

Syesha Mercado -- "Proud Mary" by Tina Turner and "A Change is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke

Sorry but to me David A (out of all the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame)  He picks two songs that are ez how many Elvis impersonators are there out there? geez!  I can't wait to hear David C sing Baba O'Reilly!

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #184 on: May 06, 2008, 10:30:11 PM »
here is tonights songlist:

David Archuleta -- "Stand by Me" by Ben E. King and "Love Me Tender" by Elvis Presley (cover by Norah Jones)

David Cook -- "Baba O'Reilly" by The Who and "Hungry Like the Wolf" by Duran Duran

Jason Castro -- "Mr. Tambourine Man" by Bob Dylan and "I Shot the Sheriff" by Bob Marley (cover by Eric Clapton)

Syesha Mercado -- "Proud Mary" by Tina Turner and "A Change is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke

Sorry but to me David A (out of all the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame)  He picks two songs that are ez how many Elvis impersonators are there out there? geez!  I can't wait to hear David C sing Baba O'Reilly!

Good grief!  :groan:  I haven't watched yet (it's on my DVR, but DD had an orchestra concert tonight!) but just looking at that list, my first thoughts were:

David A...sigh! More of the same.  PLEEEEZ David, show us you can do SOMETHING ELSE!
David C...COOL!  Once song I'm really not familiar with, and Duran Duran.  Pretty gutsy and original!
Jason...yeah, could have guessed these.  Like David A he is showing NO versitility.  But I don't really expect any from him.
Syesha...why, oh WHY does every woman of color on this show have to do Proud Mary????  Meh, for the other song.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #185 on: May 06, 2008, 11:18:54 PM »

:waves: Hello AmyKeith and a big  :welcome3: to you. Thanks for for joining and posting here on RFF.

It's great to hear from people with a musical background that's just awesome.  :tup: You too vanillalatte that is so impressive.

I agree with you in that for a 17 year old young man David A is very talented.

:groan: What a night it was for Jason forgetting the lyrics and not a great performance for either song.

It will be interesting to watch next week as the final 3 compete, I'm sure the pressure is enormous for them.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2008, 11:22:35 PM »

Are you kidding me that's my #1 show on Tuesdays everything else is secondary I need me my Gordon fix (oops is that ok to say on your anniversary  :funny:)

:congrats: Hey congrat's rosesrred and Happy Anniversary to you.

Offline Riosmommy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2008, 11:35:06 PM »
 :waves:Hi, I normal post on BB boards.  I had to vent or at least see if anyone else is seeing what I am on Idol this year.  
David A- the young one  ( Just to make sure I got the right one) I just do not get it.  How much more unfair could this year be.  He could sing or do anything and he will be praised.  His preformance was not great tonight.  His version of "Love me Tender" was horrible.  As an Elvis fan I think he didnt bring it.  Now I am not saying he does not have a good voice but check out any singer on broadway and they will out sing him and perform him same age and all.  I just dont get the judges just pushing him and pumping him up so much.  Now the other David the older one.. I think he is marketable and just great too.  Just been really turned off this season because everytime I watch this kids is getting the praise while others who should dont at times.  

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2008, 11:56:59 PM »
:waves:Hi, I normal post on BB boards.  I had to vent or at least see if anyone else is seeing what I am on Idol this year.  
David A- the young one  ( Just to make sure I got the right one) I just do not get it.  How much more unfair could this year be.  He could sing or do anything and he will be praised.  His preformance was not great tonight.  His version of "Love me Tender" was horrible.  As an Elvis fan I think he didnt bring it.  Now I am not saying he does not have a good voice but check out any singer on broadway and they will out sing him and perform him same age and all.  I just dont get the judges just pushing him and pumping him up so much.  Now the other David the older one.. I think he is marketable and just great too.  Just been really turned off this season because everytime I watch this kids is getting the praise while others who should dont at times.  

I understand what you saying I have seen in past seasons that the judges have their own vision of who they want to win

and it can be influential when fans of AI vote and in the same breathe I can think of times when fans don't take it seriously enough

for instance in my opinion Sanjaha made it waaaaaaay farther than he should have  :groan: ugh that was a joke

Offline cherrypeep

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #189 on: May 07, 2008, 06:03:51 AM »
Since this is the same week that we lost Chris Daughtry and Tamyra Gray, I decided that I would vote for the 2 hours after the show.  I got through around 30 times for David Cook, so hopefully that will be enough for him to make it through this week.   :yess:  I will be crushed if he goes this week.   :'(

At votefortheworst.com they have Jason Castro as the person this week to keep, hopefully they fail, they did last week with Brooke.  I am so discusted with these people that are ruining it for the contestants that do have talent.   (:;)

As for David A, I can not stand his nasally singing anymore and his fakeness.  I am sorry if some of you like him, but he is such a faker in my opinion regarding his song choices, he says things like I have never sang this song before,  blahblah blahblah, but then TMZ or some other site finds video of him singing those songs at parties and stuff.  He just needs to grow up and try again when he is in his 20's and let the talented contestants go farther this season.

sorry for the rant on David A but I had to vent somewhere.   :pull

I have my fingers crossed tonight for David Cook, he is by far my favorite.   :flirt:

Offline sunshine26

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2008, 01:04:05 PM »
hi everyone! :waves:  well i dont get it [AGAIN] David A sounded the same last night as everyweek, what did he do? he sang 2 more soft ballards [again] grrrrrr sorry to the DA fans, i do think for 17 he has a good voice, i cant say GREAT cuz, i have really heard some GREAT voices even younger than DA at my church!....but here we go again with the judges. DA is the bomb, he is in it to win it, you crushed everyone else [WTH] no he didnt...it might not have been cook's best night, BUT he still has control over his voice, low, middle and high range, you just cant say that for DA!...he sings in a very low range, and he cant get away from it! i just hope Cook is safe...jason was just AWFUL...F4, and you have to huhuhuhuhmmm your way through a song, cuz you forgot the words?? this is to late for this, and he needs to GO!..i will really be PO'D if Cook is voted off

I also read , that some of cook's fans split thier vote for DC and jason WTH :groan: you NEVER do that..not with 4 left...i really believe that is why Chris D was voted off last year, cuz his fans split the votes to keep the big E in...thinking it would help chris in the finale [to go with a weaker singer]

grrrrrr....DA did stand by me, and Elvis! and he STILL sounded the same, and what is up with all the drooling of the judges over him [i STILL dont get it] cuz i really feel that DA is NOT going to make it big as a pop singer, he does belong on broadway or a tv sitcon! if he wins this AI will have another idol that didnt make it big in selling for them, only, kelly, and carrie made it BIG with the title, while Clay is bigger than Ruben...Chris is bigger than taylor..[but taylor did make 5 million last year in concerts] but i really want Cook to WIN....i know he will be huge without the tile...BUT i want him to have it, cuz IMO he deserves it!

AI should just give the freaking contracts to the 2nd,or 3rd, idol voted off, cuz they are the ones that are getting the deals. and are bigger than most of the winners, [sorry, i am just so freaking that DA could win this] and for what, cuz he is 17, he is cute, little girls have puppy love, etc etc, everything but for the right reason. a GREAT singer that will sell the hell out of cd's, concerts, and win awards, cuz cook will do all 3! [sorry for the rant, but i got to have atlease one for the day lol. ok maybe 2 or 3 :funny: anyway GO COOK!!!!!!! the next REAL AI !!!!!!!!!!

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #191 on: May 07, 2008, 01:16:24 PM »
OK, I'm really bummed out right now.  I had recorded AI last night while I was attending my daughter's orchestra concert, but since we had a thunderstorm during AI, the HD recording got ALL messed up!  So, I couldn't even watch!  I'll be cruising YouTube and anywhere I else I can think of to find last night's performances.  If I can find them, I'll be back to give my opinion (whether you want it or not  :angel:). 

Sunshine, ITA about David A.  Just looking at his song choices, I was really disappointed.  More of the same...nothing different here!

Offline sunshine26

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #192 on: May 07, 2008, 01:26:16 PM »
OK, I'm really bummed out right now.  I had recorded AI last night while I was attending my daughter's orchestra concert, but since we had a thunderstorm during AI, the HD recording got ALL messed up!  So, I couldn't even watch!  I'll be cruising YouTube and anywhere I else I can think of to find last night's performances.  If I can find them, I'll be back to give my opinion (whether you want it or not  :angel:). 

Sunshine, ITA about David A.  Just looking at his song choices, I was really disappointed.  More of the same...nothing different here!

hi ya! vanillalaltte, i know where you can find ALL the vids of the idols songs, it is at rickey.org, if last nights isnt up yet, it will be by tonight, yep! DA sang stand by me, and love me tender, and it was the same ole same ole, he didnt change it up, and it sounded like everyweek [again] that site i gave you is a guy that is so into AI...everything about AI is at that site, i hope it was ok for me to post that site! if not PLEASE remove it, i love this site and i DONT want to do anything wrong, thanks so much! on a side note cook is wayyyyyyyyy in the front in busy singles, and texts, [i just hope those sites are right] cuz i didnt get to vote last night, i had to go to a big award dinner for my sister's husband...and i couldnt vote. i will be so upset if cook is voted off!

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #193 on: May 07, 2008, 02:19:40 PM »

OMG I absolutely hate it when that happens and believe me I know - It happened, yet again, to me last night not with AI but Dancing With the Stars (I luckily had it record on another TV in the house so I did get it).

So here are my thoughts:

David Cook really did great last night with Bubba O'Reilly (but I knew he would) his first wasn't my fav but nonetheless he did a good job.

David A same ole same ole, old songs sung the same with a lot of breathing in the mike,  and very nasally.  I for one believe all the articles written last night that the judges are being told to make sure he is the next AI so they are doing what they are told!  That has to be the only answer to the way out in left field comments about his singing - as I have said he's good but come on crushing everyone last night do they honestly believe we don't have ears?????

Jason gee what can I say his first was pretty bad and forgetting the words on song 2 (well shouldn't be voted off for that look how many times DA has done it) he just had a rough time last night.

Syesha well she is holding her own and doing a pretty good job.  Proud Mary boy she rocked it and her second song A Change is Gonna Come I don't think I've heard it before but she sounded good.  I think Randy really hurt her feelings cuz she sure was having a hard time holding back the tears and then finally they came a rollin down the river! 

Anyways that's my 2 cents worth!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 02:24:59 PM by rosesrred »

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #194 on: May 07, 2008, 02:27:08 PM »

:congrats: Hey congrat's rosesrred and Happy Anniversary to you.

Thank you so very much  :roses:

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #195 on: May 07, 2008, 04:27:06 PM »

Update:

AI fans you can watch this season's conetestants on the American Idol Live Tour 2008

For a complete list of the schedule click on the link below:

http://tour.americanidol.com/

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #196 on: May 07, 2008, 08:18:45 PM »
Congratulations Rosesrred!!  :conf: :roses: :conf: :roses: :conf:

Welcome AmyKeith!  :hiya :welcome: :ty4posting

Wow, down to the last 4, and less than an hour, 3 finalists! This season whizzed by!

I fearlessly predict that Jason's time on AI will end tonight. Bye Jason, I enjoyed you but last night was the KOD X's 3.  :waves:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #197 on: May 07, 2008, 08:26:07 PM »
OK, I found the performances online and had time to watch most of them.  My rankings for this week:

David C.
Syesha
David A.
Jason

But, of course, David A won't be in the bottom two.   

You know what I don't get?  In previous seasons (including last year) contestants were crucified by the judges for doing the same thing over and over again.  Why not with David A?  He sings the same type of song giving the same performance and cheesy grin week after week, and the judges just ignore it.  I guess he really is the annointed one.  They want him to win this thing really bad. 

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #198 on: May 08, 2008, 04:04:25 AM »
You all are right on the money and covered all the bases.  :tup: :waves:
Great job.  :jumpy: 

roses, Happy Anniversary, a little belated!  :hrt:

Welcome to all newbies! (check the Newbie Hangout welcome thread & share a bit about yourself.  :tup:).

Thanks to all for welcoming new members! :hugs:

Hope DCook is the next AI!  :yess:

Me gone...
:nitenite:

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #199 on: May 08, 2008, 06:15:20 AM »

I guess he really is the annointed one.  They want him to win this thing really bad.

It seems that way doesn't it. That's exactly what I was thinking in that American Idol has a vision of who they want to win.

It seems like they are pushing in the direction of a really young cute boy to win this season of AI with a bunch of very young screaming female fans.

Maybe we are wrong who knows we will just have to see how this does play out.