Author Topic: EP11 Title: I Think This Monkey Likes Me!  (Read 58620 times)

Offline qing_her

• RFF Full Member
  • Amazing Race Addict
Re: EP11 Title: I Think This Monkey Likes Me!
« Reply #175 on: May 07, 2006, 02:28:44 AM »
i am so amazed with you guys here!
anyways, I'm a newbie here, but not a newbie TAR fan.

But contrary to many of you, I hope MoJo will still be at the Finale :)

Offline Big Papi

• "RFF's very own Amazing All-Star Papi"
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2006, 07:04:55 AM »
i am so amazed with you guys here!
anyways, I'm a newbie here, but not a newbie TAR fan.

But contrary to many of you, I hope MoJo will still be at the Finale :)

Hi gingher, I'm a newbie to both RFF and TAR (don't watch much TV at all)  and I also hope that MoJo will make the F3. Mo's emotions don't bother me at all (we can't all be hard-asses) and she has more than carried her weight and has not balked (well maybe a bit afraid of the lobster) at undertaking the challenges before her. IMHO they are still in the race because she stood up to, and corrected  Jo's "wayward" travel.  I am also rooting for the "nasty" Fratboys and Hippies to make F3.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #177 on: May 07, 2006, 09:02:00 AM »
Been flipping through Lonely Planet, and the only place I can find that offers elephants as a major attraction (other than Ayutthaya, where I don't think the elephants go into the water, and Pattaya, where they're just kitsch) is Kanchanaburi, which TAR1 covered in a haste. They mostly only offer elephant riding tours, though, but these definitely enter the river at some point.

http://www.somnukelephantcamp.com/

Yet, remember that elephant riding itself is a recycled task, from the abandoned Detour option of Beast (of 'or Boat') in Chiang Mai.

There are no direct buses between Kanchanaburi and Lopburi. You'll have to catch a local bus to Sangklaburi first (took me 1.5h) then change to another brining you to the monkey town (another 1.5h). Another option is to go through Bangkok. This could explain the bunch-up waiting for Prang Sam Yot to open, as any task taking place in Kanchanaburi will mean an overnight stay before a task in Lopburi.

That would mean a very dragged out leg, though. So... ???

Offline Reality Junkee

• 'RFF's Resident Chocoholic'
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #178 on: May 07, 2006, 12:01:30 PM »
About those two pictures at the very top of the page (with 'The Amazing Race' on them) Could this be the fast forward,  because weren't you speculating that these were the two teams that were going to go for the fast forward?   Also if it is, I can see BJ/T and RaYo wishing each other luck before facing off with each other in a fast forward.
 :js:

Headcrusher

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #179 on: May 07, 2006, 12:02:23 PM »
Neobi, what do you think of the possibility of it being the Samphran Elephant Ground and Zoo?
link: http://www.elephantshow.com/eng/home.htm

The site says its about an hour from central Bangkok. If you click on the shows link you see costumed riders like in the original vid caps. Under the Whats News section there is this: "Riding on the elephant through a tropical garden and get into the bayou under waterfall is the soft adventure anyone should try" with a link for pics.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2006, 01:53:18 PM »
Could it be as simple as a manmade Lake ?  :ele:

picture link 

Welcome qingher   :hithere:

« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 02:02:50 PM by puddin »

Offline qing_her

• RFF Full Member
  • Amazing Race Addict
« Reply #181 on: May 08, 2006, 08:19:19 AM »
thanks for welcoming me here
how can you guys check for the flights that were used in the show?

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #182 on: May 08, 2006, 08:28:30 AM »
thanks for welcoming me here
how can you guys check for the flights that were used in the show?

I've been using airwise.com. You can put in past dates of travel and it's been pretty accurate so far.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #183 on: May 08, 2006, 02:08:34 PM »
My time may be limited before I crash once again, so I will thype fast:

The two teams that try for the Fast Forward are The Hippies and The Beach Boys!  Yes, I know the Beach Boys alaready have done the FF but they screw up mightly.  Clue:  We see a veranda with two girls sitting before two asian style food tables at which you have to knell to eat.  The Beach Boys come running up the steps as the title MISTAKES pops in over them.  They then are told or realize that this the FF and they can't do it again.  The Hippies arrive and eat their bugs at the tables waiting for them!!

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #184 on: May 08, 2006, 02:14:51 PM »
Ha, got that one in here goes nothing again:

My estimates of arrival times on the dock Lake Bennett based on the length of shadows which get shorter as each team arrives therefore just before noon:

RaYoYo  -- 11:30AM

The Rest of the Crowd - 11:45 to 12:30   

Most flights from Darwin via Sydney leave in mid-afternoon; best bet Quantas 155 arriving in BKK at 9:10PM

And it matters not that MO/JO seem to try connecting through Adelaide as all teams seem to be together in Lop Buri waiting for Pra Prang Sum Wat to open.

Is this were Tyler and Ray greet eachother?

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #185 on: May 08, 2006, 02:23:13 PM »
Running out of time:

Checking through last five shows with only two FF's there is no set pattern which is followed: In two shows teams have choice of FF or travel info to go on to anoth er site (this also was true in TAR9 , EP 7: Plate Breaking or train to Corinth Istmus.  In three shows it is choice of FF or DETOUR.  There has not been a case of FF or ROADBLOCK.  So if the FF is the choice here at the Prang Sam Yot Temple between FF or make a feast for the monkies (ROADBLOCK) it would be a first.  But TPTB have been screwing with our minds this TAR so it may be. 

From the looks of the light it looks to be first thing in the morning.

Guess is that when the arrive in Bangkok at night teams take cabs (night shots of The Hippies in a cab) to Wat Hau Lamphong Temple to find clue which sends them off by bus or train to Lop Buri a three hour trip.  But it may be that they have to wait at the bus station in Bangkok since my info shows the first bus out is at 5:30AM and the last one left at 8:30PM. Trains are quicker (2.5 hours) but only run 5 times a day.  More infor at:  www.railway.co.th.

First time in days and I am still on.  Hope the above make some kind of sense.

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #186 on: May 08, 2006, 02:51:28 PM »
My time may be limited before I crash once again, so I will thype fast:

The two teams that try for the Fast Forward are The Hippies and The Beach Boys!  Yes, I know the Beach Boys alaready have done the FF but they screw up mightly.  Clue:  We see a veranda with two girls sitting before two asian style food tables at which you have to knell to eat.  The Beach Boys come running up the steps as the title MISTAKES pops in over them.  They then are told or realize that this the FF and they can't do it again.  The Hippies arrive and eat their bugs at the tables waiting for them!!

This very thought had crossed my mind about the frats accidentally going for the FF. The thing is these shots really seem to be on Ko Kret. If so, then the Ko Kret (and the detour) comes before LopBuri and the roadblock. Does this hold up since some are saying the shots in LopBuri look early morning with teams waiting outside the fence?

Maybe Neobi can help determine where Jeremy and Monica are standing. Based on the google earth image it looks like the only place buildings could be in the background is if they are standing against the west or south fence. If they are standing against the west fence it sure looks like late afternoon to me. (chateau????)

« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 03:16:28 PM by supsandalee »

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #187 on: May 08, 2006, 03:14:19 PM »
I think I now have where they are standing as well as where the tables are set up based on these pics. There is a intersecting road in Jeremy's background and a building in the background of Eric running towards his table. So Jeremy and Mo must be standing against the SOUTH fence. There are lots of good shadows in the shots for Chateau. Based on this it does appear to be morning afterall.

GMan, if the pics of the frats going up the steps is in KoKret then this can't be the FF. Maybe it is where teams first run to on the island to get their detour clue.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 03:18:14 PM by supsandalee »

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2006, 03:24:28 PM »
If this is just a place to pick up the next route marker in KoKrek, why are there two table set up for a bug feast and two girls kneeling there to wait upon whomever shows up.  Don't know where the location is,but I am sure this is location for the FF.

Good job on nailing down location of Jeremy and Mo watching the monkey action!  From the shadows on the back of their heads it looks like early afternoon to me. 

Idea:  they may go by boat to KoKrek to find next clue which is either FF to go to Ko Krek and find a particular coffee house whatever or go on to somewhere else where they will find the Detour:  elephants or jugs.(This was pattern in other shows and in ep 7 or TAR9)  This leads them to LopBuri and the money shines which is the Roadblock.  Final pit stop is also in LopBuri.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 03:32:49 PM by gingerman28 »

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #189 on: May 08, 2006, 03:43:28 PM »
If this is just a place to pick up the next route marker in KoKrek, why are there two table set up for a bug feast and two girls kneeling there to wait upon whomever shows up.  Don't know where the location is,but I am sure this is location for the FF.

The main reason I can't see this as the FF is that E/J and Tyler and Ray are shown outside Wat Hau Lamphong Temple (wating for an opening????). When they get the clue BJ/T goes off to compete in the FF. If E/J also go to compete in the FF they would not be so far ahead of Jo and Yo at the roadblock. I don't see two tables set up - are they side-by-side?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #190 on: May 08, 2006, 04:29:46 PM »
Hours of operation ( good to see you Gman )

Phra Prang Sam Yot   
 Located on Vichayen Road, approximately 200 meters from the railway station, Phra Prang Sam Yot is Lop Buri’s best known landmark and provincial symbol. A former Hindu Shrine built in the 13th century in the classic Bayon style of Khmer architecture, the compound comprises three prangs (towers) linked by a corridor. The three laterite and sandstone spires decorated with classic stucco are believed to have originally represented the Hindu Trimurti; Brahman (the creator), Vishnu (the preserver) and Siva (the destroyer). During the reign of King Narai, the shrine was converted into a Buddhist temple when a brick viharn located to the east which houses a grand U-Thong-Ayutthaya style Buddha image was probably built. Buddha images were later added to the two prangs. The temple is open at 8.00 a.m. until 6.00 p.m., admission fee is 30 bahts.

eta: Clue ,
The teams race through Bangkok to an ancient temple to find a clue .

« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 04:33:03 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #191 on: May 08, 2006, 04:37:20 PM »
found this buried

heres a ariel shot of the ayutthaya

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #192 on: May 08, 2006, 06:04:41 PM »

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #193 on: May 08, 2006, 06:17:11 PM »
thats for ruining my dinner puddin  :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :kuss:

Offline the_headcrusher

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • You flathead!
« Reply #194 on: May 08, 2006, 06:19:32 PM »
FWIW, isn't it still probable to have more than one table set up at the fast forward since 3 of the 4 teams can go for it? It would make sense if you had a situation where all of the teams that could go for the FF would.   Did that make sense?? I'm a lil screwy today :js: 
A good landing is one you can walk away from.  A great landing is one where they can use the plane again.

Offline bethgio33

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #195 on: May 08, 2006, 06:25:49 PM »
well, at least the bugs are dead!   :barf:

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #196 on: May 08, 2006, 06:33:58 PM »
FWIW, isn't it still probable to have more than one table set up at the fast forward since 3 of the 4 teams can go for it? It would make sense if you had a situation where all of the teams that could go for the FF would.   Did that make sense?? I'm a lil screwy today :js: 

I hear ya crusher. What I don't understand is in past TARs the first team to arrive gets to attempt it and if a second team shows up they have to wait and see if the first team was successful before they can even try.

Ex. TAR8 - The Gaghans had to wait below to see if the Paolos would bungee jump.
Ex. TAR7 - Rob and Amber couldn't climb the water tower until they were told if Ray and Deana had completed it.

In other words they didn't get to climb up and try to beat them at it. So I didn't understand why both MoJo and E/J were able to compete for the FF together. Anyone? Did they just change the FF rules on us this year????

Offline the_headcrusher

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • You flathead!
« Reply #197 on: May 08, 2006, 06:39:26 PM »
Weren't some the first FF's a competition between 2 teams? the only one that stands out in my mind right now is in the first season with the Guido's and Nancy/Emily with the coins in the Buddhist temple.
A good landing is one you can walk away from.  A great landing is one where they can use the plane again.

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #198 on: May 08, 2006, 06:48:29 PM »
I've watched TAR from season 1 episode 1 but don't have the memory for that.  And I don't have GSN to watch them again!  :meow: There are plenty of historians around though who can probably detail every FF.

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #199 on: May 08, 2006, 07:08:08 PM »
I've watched TAR from season 1 episode 1 but don't have the memory for that.  And I don't have GSN to watch them again!  :meow: There are plenty of historians around though who can probably detail every FF.

dont worry gsn is only on season5.