Author Topic: EP5:' We're Getting out of the Country Girls '  (Read 41228 times)

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP5:' We're Getting out of the Country Girls '
« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2005, 08:39:00 PM »
When I first saw the "uprights" I thought they were overhead lines and on the right side of the photo was a rail line. But I think Panama uses standard locomotives, so maybe they're just power poles. Two things we know: it's early (shadows); and as Puddin wrote earlier, nobody seems in a big hurry.

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2005, 09:28:20 PM »
and I don't see that the Weavers are standing on the pitstop mat..this picture is bugging me ! have we ever been shown a picture of a team at the pitstop ? let alone cheering before ?   >^%

I found this pic from a panama canal site. It definately runs along the canal. From Google Earth I could see it running from below the Miraflores Locks to the Pedro Miguel Locks. I don't know where the teams are since it is a long track. The Miraflores Visitors Center opens at 9 a.m. so maybe that's where the teams have to wait at the gate for opening??

As for the Weavers .. maybe someone had to confirm they completed a task that took them a long time (like the bird watching) and they just got excited that they finished? Don't know.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 09:32:40 PM by supsandalee »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2005, 09:33:38 PM »
Oh , Uprights  *8/ ..

In this pic noone is infront of DJ in the boat
but in the next pic it looks like he moved , just looking for a reason other why the Paolos are on the boats , unless they did take the FF and are on the way to the pitstop but, why is there a boat next to them if they are ahead , to the right ?

Linzes
where did the boatman go ?? and they switched seats

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2005, 09:48:30 PM »
sups what can we look for ?

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2005, 10:06:19 PM »
sups what can we look for ?

I'm not sure but the Visitors Center seems to be the only way to access the locks. Here's some shots of it and some speculation.

The information on the center is interesting. It talks about getting there by bus (some are old school buses) but more interesting is that the buses only drop you off at the front during specific hours. Otherwise, you'll get dropped off at the main hwy and have to walk 5-10 minutes. Maybe that's what the Linzs and Godlewskis are doing since the pics of the railroad run along there as well. If they know they don't open until 9 a.m they wouldn't necessarily be in a hurry. And wouldn't this be a good place to make teams race around and get clues??

From website:
"The new visitors center at Miraflores Locks has recently opened to the public, and is open daily between 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. The center faces the Locks, resides just in front of the control tower, and has four floors; from any of the three floors photos can be taken of the locks from their respective balconies.

Getting to Miraflores Locks
From Panama City, you can either take a public bus or taxi. The buses depart from a terminal known as "SACA", which is situated in downtown. From there you can take either of two buses, Summit Gardens or Paraiso.

There are two style buses that service Miraflores, a newer air-conditioned bus and the older school bus style. The newer bus costs $0.50 and the older $0.35. During the hours of 4:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m., and 10:00 p.m. these buses drive right to the entrance to the locks. At all other times you will have to get off on the main highway and walk approximately 5-10 minutes to the Locks. If you are not traveling during the above hours you should notify the driver when boarding that you would like to be dropped off at the entrance to Miraflores. The bus ride lasts approximately 20 minutes."

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2005, 10:17:48 PM »
they switched seats
I don't know if CBS showing reverse frames would account for this, but take the left boat photo and flip it horizontally; I think it's a phone number or serial number.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2005, 11:32:59 PM »
First sups , on the same trail

Trying to match these up but can't get a good match .

Visitor's Center, Miraflores Locks, Panama Canal

Slowhatch ..I can't get the Number it looks like your right

« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 11:36:22 PM by puddin »

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2005, 11:48:52 PM »
why is there a boat next to them if they are ahead , to the right ?

there's a boat in my local commercial

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2005, 12:09:56 AM »
Your the one that has me thinking banzai ..a few pages back you were wondering why the Paolos were on the boats if they took the FF . The place where they do the Fast Forward "should" logically be before they go to Gamboa .
Even if Gamboa is the pitstop , how does another team catch them? Unless ...I dont know  {l{
Just to note ,they all have there backpacks & gear on the boats , maybe its not another team passing them? Could be just another boat and again TPTB did some flip flopping .
It seems they threw in this recycled picture too of the Paolos looking down in the dumps to throw us off too .

...just something else in the works

/Miraflores-USSIowa_LoweredLock_
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 12:34:21 AM by puddin »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2005, 12:19:21 AM »
For the shadows at the FF:

Date:  Using our spoiler sighting of July 16th and 17th I’m going to use the 16th as the FF day.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2005, 12:37:00 AM »
I'm having trouble with this one due to the really weird solar arc for this location.

The sun is never gets to more than 70 deg of azimuth.  The arrow I made above is at 85 degrees.

I have to put the boat closer to the docks to get 70 degrees.

From the SEMA plot you can see that the sum climbs up almost vertically with an azimuth of 70 degrees.

To get a time I will have to estimate the solar altitude.  That is kind of fuzzy considering the wide angle shot.

I'd say it looks like 35 plus or minus 10 degrees.

That gives 8:41 am as most likely between 7:58 and 9:25 am.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2005, 12:53:30 AM »
Now for the Baseball field.

I can't tell how wierd this is to get the sun moving Northward as the morning turns to afternoon.  Welcome to strange latitudes.

The solar azimuth at the time of the Godlewski RB is about 45 degrees.  That happens at 11:30 am.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2005, 02:02:14 AM »
 :999: /#} merci le chateau d si

edited to correct the info ...

Fast Foward ,Paolo's approx 8:41 am

Godlewski's Roadblock 11:30 am
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 12:42:10 PM by puddin »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2005, 12:23:19 PM »
Puddin, the 8:41 estimate is for when the Paolo's are in the water looking up at the shipping crane.  I don't know about boats going to Barro Colorado (I think that is what happening there)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2005, 12:40:01 PM »
Thanks Chateau ..your the BOMB!!

Offline charlierose

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Full Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #140 on: October 24, 2005, 01:55:20 PM »
Just for a reference. Panama is not in Eastern time. It is in Central Time.

Hope this helps. {|

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #141 on: October 24, 2005, 02:31:53 PM »
Thanks charlierose ( love that name)

Recycled

« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 02:45:35 PM by puddin »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2005, 03:17:00 PM »
Just for a reference. Panama is not in Eastern time. It is in Central Time.

Thanks, that's why I always have to go to a timezone conversion site.  It takes care of daylight saving issues and gives me the time with respect to GMT.  Here we see a 5 hour offset from GMT.  Which is Central time except as you see Panama does not do DST.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2005, 03:50:20 PM »
The only way I can make sense of this shot of the teams on foot is a reversed image at Miraflores   The rail line is east of the canal and you can see those overhead poles in the satellite image.  The sun is low in the shot and from the SEMA plot above you can see that the time of day has to be 5:00 pm plus or minus a half hour.  It can't be an early morning shot because the canal does not point that way (70 degrees azimuth).

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #144 on: October 24, 2005, 04:35:04 PM »
Chateau, that particular shot of the canal is the Pedro Miguel Locks. The Miraflores Locks are farther southeast from there, close to Panama City.

I wish you could tell distances on Google Earth. I found a dock with matching small boats (white roofed like the water taxis the teams are in). It's south of the Miraflores locks and about halfway between there and the dock where the fast forward is. It looks way too far for the teams to be walking to but the tracks do run all the way down there.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2005, 05:43:05 PM »
This is indeed a hard one to put together, but here is a first try which is probably way off but lets start somewhere:

Thursday, July 14 between 1 and 3AM, teams depart The Preservation Hall Pit Stop, New Orleans.

Sometime later, and it looks to be again after sunset the teams arrive in Panama City, Panama (flights arrive between 8 and 11PM whether coming from New Orleans via Houston or from Belize City)

Shot of Paolos looking very tired in van probably coming into city from Panama City Airport.  According to our earlier spoiler this would be the evening of July 16. So we have a time gap here which can not be accounted for.

Sunday, July 17 starts with teams arriving (perhaps during the night from the bus station in Panama City) at the visitors center at the Miraflores Lock on the Panama  Canal.

Clues here may lead somewhere else first, but then we have choice of Fast Forward or Baseball Park. Paolos choose FF and also perhaps the Gaghans.  The clue tells them to take the School Type Bus to a dock area to find the task. Bungee Jump off high crane. Probably like other FF, he who gets there first has first shot at the task (a la South African water cooling tower)

Teams going to the ball park run into a real ROADBLOCK again. Only one play er from each team can get up to bat first. Player must get a safe hit off the pitcher.  Maybe teams have to alternate (a la ice bar in Stockholm) or each team gets to stay at bat until successful and then the next team gets up to bat.  This latter seems unfair, so perhaps they alternate at bats.

At the end of the roadblock, they must find a white van with driver and direct him to the Smithsonian Instition's dock near Gamboa about 40 minutes across the peninsula. Here the teams face a DETOUR (1)they must take boat across the river/canal to the Isle Barro Colorado and do somekind of bird watch - find a certain number of birds (fake) mark them on their chart and when finished get the directions to the pits stop - perhaps back on the mainland at the Gamboa Resort Hotel. or (2) they must go into town and find a local dance hall and find a praticular dancer doing the hootchy cootchy. And then to the pit stop.

All of the action probably takes place on one day. And I think from the various shots of the small boats out on the river/lake/canal some of which are in the sun and some or in shadows  we have boats going to an from certian places. Perhaps the pits stop is not back at Gamboa but on another island since we do have a shot of the Paolos also in a boat.

In any case it is a NONELIMINATION LEG and the loosers coninue on: my guess either the Gaghans or Weavers.

This isn't really too solid so lets have some input.  What bothers me is the time gap at the beginning. Did the teams have an extra long 48 hour rest stop in New Orleans or did they go to Beliize as rumored and that was completely wiped out.  We'll have to be extra vigilant on clothing, times, and airport shots (if any)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2005, 08:54:27 PM »
supsandalee, I don't know how to make it have a scale but there is the measure tool.

You just go clicky click along and it adds up the distance for you.

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2005, 09:57:52 PM »
Thanks I got it to work. So it's about 2 miles from the Miraflores Visitors Center to the dock that looks it may have water taxis. One mile of it is straight down those tracks. If they had to wait a while for a bus they might take off walking. And if you had 2 miles to walk you probably would just walk it and not run. They would be walking to the southeast. Does the shot look like they could be walking southeast?

I know it's pure speculation but we seem to have alot of speculation this episode.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2005, 10:12:13 PM »
If it helps I think these pictures go together ??

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #149 on: October 24, 2005, 10:12:51 PM »
Does the shot look like they could be walking southeast?

That's the thing.  The sun never comes from the southeast in this crazy place (in the winter it can, but we have July).   |(

That's why I thought they had to be going toward the Northwest toward a setting sun.