Author Topic: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Final Round Design Show on Page 50!  (Read 88657 times)

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Round 3 Starts on Page 25!
« Reply #625 on: August 03, 2020, 10:27:28 AM »
Hey gamer, can you elaborate more on my the comments you gave me? The only thing I got was don't do fishing tasks. Did that penalize me all the way to a 32 or was there something else? I'm just trying to learn how to get better ;D

But anyways congrats Bookworm and thank you judges for all your hard work and comments!

From my notepad while doing calculations:

Show content
Jimmer:

Tasks: 6/10
Locations: 8/10
Originality: 5/10
Details: 8/10
Telegenic Effect: 5/10

Total: 32/50

Comment: It’s a passable leg, but the more I reflect on it, the more I’m not as sure about it working as an episode. I dislike fishing tasks, and for some reason, the planting kind of looked like TAR19 and we've seen something slightly similar to the stone wall on TAR12 Croatia (but harder). My favorite task was the dance, and that's meant to be the quick and easy starter of the leg. The tasks just don't really pop to me as much as I want it to, and that is a matter of purely personal preference. Good job on the social impact though.

Ok thanks!

Offline MrDS

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #626 on: August 03, 2020, 11:29:03 AM »
So just to clarify as long as it isn't category 4 on the travel advisory website it is ok?

Offline Pi

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #627 on: August 03, 2020, 11:42:29 AM »
You aren't prohibited from designing a leg in any specific country, as long as you follow the other round guidelines. However, I personally prefer seeing places that aren't considered unsafe/dangerous.

So for now, let's just say that you can design in any country on the list, but just avoid the unsafe areas that potentially endanger the teams. :tup:
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #628 on: August 03, 2020, 01:05:03 PM »
Judges, can please tell me what need to fixed

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #629 on: August 03, 2020, 03:07:40 PM »
Africa...place of my HEART.

I spent months traveling there...twice.

Incredible Egypt. Minus the bread riots..

Plan was to follow the Nile...

Then ended up within a few miles of an Ebola outbreak .... SO much for following the Nile. South Sudan closed.

Crossed over to Ethiopia. Caught in Eritrea rebel riots/ then an attempted coup. Saved by locals.. THEN caught in the middle of Somalia attacks on the southern portion.

Took shelter in a tiny village...where we were treated as family. Literally saved my life...again.

Made it (eventually) safely to Kenya...many weeks later. My favorite place in the world...then. Climbing Mt Kenya was a dream that came true. I still remember my first safari...and waking up to giraffe grazing feet from me...silhouetted against the red ball of a sunrise.

Spent  a couple of months there, crossed into Tanzania... and boom the borders were closed...some political thing..

But who cared when I was watching baby elephants, lions fall out of trees, and the flamingos...and Ngorongoro Crater....

First visit...wasn't the last.

So yeah...read the warnings, avoid the riots, don't get killed.

And you'll have memories that last a lifetime.

Any place And EVERY place in Africa holds its own magic...very happy to see what y'all do!

:ghug:

Make this one special...I'll be watching!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline betheactress

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #630 on: August 03, 2020, 04:14:36 PM »
Africa...place of my HEART.

I spent months traveling there...twice.

Incredible Egypt. Minus the bread riots..

Plan was to follow the Nile...

Then ended up within a few miles of an Ebola outbreak .... SO much for following the Nile. South Sudan closed.

Crossed over to Ethiopia. Caught in Eritrea rebel riots/ then an attempted coup. Saved by locals.. THEN caught in the middle of Somalia attacks on the southern portion.

Took shelter in a tiny village...where we were treated as family. Literally saved my life...again.

Made it (eventually) safely to Kenya...many weeks later. My favorite place in the world...then. Climbing Mt Kenya was a dream that came true. I still remember my first safari...and waking up to giraffe grazing feet from me...silhouetted against the red ball of a sunrise.

Spent  a couple of months there, crossed into Tanzania... and boom the borders were closed...some political thing..

But who cared when I was watching baby elephants, lions fall out of trees, and the flamingos...and Ngorongoro Crater....

First visit...wasn't the last.

So yeah...read the warnings, avoid the riots, don't get killed.

And you'll have memories that last a lifetime.

Any place And EVERY place in Africa holds its own magic...very happy to see what y'all do!

:ghug:

Make this one special...I'll be watching!

Did you travel by yourself? Or did you travel with a party? Sounds amazing!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #631 on: August 03, 2020, 04:44:30 PM »
First time with a guy. Second time alone (my solo around the world trip) but met up with friends and family some of the time..
Actually had less  troubles alone lol!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #632 on: August 04, 2020, 05:34:42 AM »

Hi guys, Glamazon Racer here and I'm honoured to have been asked to guest judge on this amazing game once again!

Firstly, sorry to see the eliminated contestants go home. Those who had to withdraw, thanks for your great designs in Round 1 and sorry that you were unable to continue in the competition. Hopefully we'll see you back again sometime! BourkieBoy, you did a great job too and thanks for being part of this season. Hopefully you'll be back to design again in the future and hopefully you've picked up some great pointers along the way!

Reading Peach's post about her time in Africa was just the perfect way to kick off this round and just stirs up so many emotions and memories! I definitely feel compelled to share some of my own experiences as well, just to set the mood!

I couldn't have asked for a better round in which to be invited to guest judge. I had the pleasure of travelling through four countries in East Africa last year which was an amazing experience. I'm going to blab on a little bit about my experience, since Peach's post resonates so deeply with my own love for the continent, so I'll just leave that all here in a spoiler tag for anyone who cares to read about it, and I'll leave the important stuff outside the spoiler tag below.

Show content
Kenya was my first stop in Africa. I've never met people more happy in the world than the Kenyans. Everyone just wanted to chat and made me feel right at home despite being in a very different sort of place! Security getting in and out of places in Nairobi was intense but even the security guards just wanted to ask me where I was from and upon seeing the jersey I was wearing, just have a chat about football while my bags went through the scanners. Visiting an elephant orphanage and a giraffe sanctuary were also real highlights, getting up close and personal with these amazing creatures.

Uganda may share a border with Kenya but for all intents and purposes, it was another planet. A wonderful tour guide we had been referred to by a friend took us on a day long trip from the airport. It was quite an eye-opening experience witnessing the living conditions of the people and experiencing the intense Kampala traffic which is unlike anything in the world. The highlight was definitely visiting the mosque that TAR31 visited and retracing the steps up the minaret that plagued Rachel & Elissa. I can personally confirm that the answer is indeed 272! Yes, I counted them. :funny:

We participated in a small project with a charity and got to see a Kampala slum firsthand. Having tiny little children running up just to say hello is such a touching experience. Two days of trying to live and move around Kampala felt like a lifetime - life is just so difficult there, even for a couple days. But the experience is something I wouldn't trade for the world and definitely changed my perception on many things.

Any preconceived notions I had about Africa were thrown out the window when we touched down in Kigali, Rwanda. Once again, it was wildly different to either of the previous two countries and parts of the city felt as developed as any first world country. Rwanda has always been somewhere I dreamed about visiting, having bounced back from a terrible genocide in 1994, the year I was born. I've had the pleasure of visiting genocide memorials in Armenia, Israel and Bosnia & Herzegovina previously and Rwanda stirred up all of the same emotions. However, seeing how the country has bounced back in 25 short years is truly a beacon of hope for the rest of the world. Also, staying in the one and only Hotel Rwanda was truly the most special place I've ever stayed!

Rwanda gave us a safari experience to remember! I won't harp on about the typical magical safari experiences but having our car get stuck in a hole in the middle of a national park and having to get outside with wild zebras frolicking a few hundred metres away was something that was definitely not on the itinerary! :funny:

A few near-death experiences later (including our car lights failing on the dark drive home and ending up stuck in a ditch in the middle of absolutely nowhere) and we truly got to experience how helpful the locals were, helping us out of multiple sticky situations and allowing us to finally return to the relative familiarity of the capital.

Tanzania was the last stop and a week in the country barely scraped the surface of what it has to offer. There probably aren't too many people who go to Tanzania and don't visit Kilimanjaro or the Serengeti but that was me! Dar Es Salaam has so much to offer in itself and Zanzibar would have to be one of my favourite places on earth. The island life was a pleasant and relaxing way to end our time in Africa, after all the chaos and near-death experiences. I would love to go back to Tanzania and spend a month or two there - as I said, it has so much to offer and my one week barely made a start on it.

In addition to my travels last year, I've also spent plenty of time while being stuck at home this year researching other parts of the continent and planning subsequent trips, ready to go back to this incredible continent when travel becomes possible again. I've learned about many fascinating countries and cultures, both from travelling there and also through research. Africa stole my heart and I love everything it has to offer. I can't wait to be able to spend more time there.

Africa has so much to offer and TAR has done a reasonable job of showcasing it when it goes to Africa. However, I always feel that the race hasn't spent as much time in Africa as it should've and some of their visits have only scraped the surface of what the particular country has to offer. As such, there is SO much room for creativity and ingenuity with this round and you guys have the chance to come up with something truly special.

Personally, I don't mind whether you are designing in a location that TAR has visited, a location I have visited or somewhere entirely different, but I hope you can show us what that location has to offer. Cultural relevance is always my top criteria when critiquing a design and that will hold even more importance for me now, after having experienced a small portion of what this continent has to offer firsthand.

I'll give you an outline of my marking criteria for this round to give you an idea of what to expect and what I'm looking for:

Cultural Relevance: How relevant your leg and the various tasks are to the culture of the country/region you are designing in - 15 points
Roadblock: Self-explanatory, the quality of the Roadblock will be judged - 5 points
Detour: Each side of the Detour will be worth 5 points, with points deducted if the Detour seems unbalanced - 10 points
Fast Forward: Looking for a great task but also something that deserves being a Fast Forward and not just any other task, either due to difficulty or accessibility or any other factors - 5 points
Creativity/Originality: How creative/original your tasks are as a whole - 5 points
Utilisation of World Heritage Site: Obviously you guys have been asked to design in one of the World Heritage Sites and this score will be based on how well you incorporate that Site into your design - 5 points
Leg Flow/Excitement: How well your leg flows as a whole and how exciting it would be to watch your leg and your tasks on TV - 5 points

I really can't wait to see your designs and I'm so excited to read them and judge them. If you have any questions about what I'm looking for, feel free to ask away and I'll endeavour to respond at my earliest convenience.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:38:57 AM by Glamazon Racer »
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #633 on: August 04, 2020, 05:46:56 AM »
is realstic to have teams go into the city three days, after depature.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #634 on: August 04, 2020, 09:47:05 AM »
can we put in yelid

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #635 on: August 04, 2020, 09:58:38 AM »
can we put in yelid
I mean there's no restriction on putting yield, so i guess, go for it
what might have been

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #636 on: August 05, 2020, 12:23:04 PM »
I may need an extension as I’m currently in Italy, but I’ll let you know closer to the time thanks guys

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #637 on: August 06, 2020, 01:02:46 AM »

*Open this link to see the realtime countdown: https://bit.ly/3i0uQoD

We have received submission from:

We're still waiting for submissions from:

betheactress
Bookworm
BritishTARFan
elthemagnifico
Jimmer
Lemontail
MikeDodgers
MrDS
NELs
Nuku
nrh2110
redwings8831
Stone
ZBC Company
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #638 on: August 07, 2020, 01:06:53 PM »

*Open this link to see the realtime countdown: https://bit.ly/3i0uQoD

We have received submissions from:

betheactress
BritishTARFan
elthemagnifico
Jimmer
Lemontail
MikeDodgers
MrDS
NELs
Nuku
nrh2110
redwings8831
Stone
ZBC Company
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline MrDS

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #639 on: August 08, 2020, 07:16:01 AM »
I may need a 24h extension if possible, haven’t had a chance to start this yet due to work commitments

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #640 on: August 08, 2020, 10:04:56 AM »
I may need a 24h extension if possible

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #641 on: August 08, 2020, 08:30:40 PM »
Pi it due at 8:50am on Monoday

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #643 on: August 08, 2020, 11:10:53 PM »
Granted
New deadline is 24 hours past the previous deadline

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #644 on: August 09, 2020, 12:16:16 AM »

*Open this link to see the realtime countdown: https://bit.ly/3fIvdm4

We have received submissions from:

betheactress
BritishTARFan
elthemagnifico
Jimmer
Lemontail
MikeDodgers
MrDS
NELs
nrh2110
redwings8831
Stone
ZBC Company

Deadline countdown is updated.
Keep in mind that you can still submit after the deadline, but you will get a -1 score penalty.
So, use your time wisely.

Good luck! :luvya:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 01:06:43 AM by Kamineko »

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #645 on: August 09, 2020, 12:32:03 AM »
The link above leads to imgur and not to the countdown, Kami.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #646 on: August 09, 2020, 01:05:14 AM »
The link above leads to imgur and not to the countdown, Kami.

LOL Thanks! Updated :funny: :tup:

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
« Reply #647 on: August 09, 2020, 10:22:46 AM »
Just submitted.
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

-Theme song from 'Full House' (1987-1995)

Offline betheactress

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #648 on: August 09, 2020, 10:59:33 AM »
Is anyone doing Chad?

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #649 on: August 09, 2020, 12:11:10 PM »
Is anyone doing Chad?

Chad on the dangrous list