Author Topic: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Final Round Design Show on Page 50!  (Read 92072 times)

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Round 6 Design Show on Page 44!
« Reply #1125 on: October 18, 2020, 10:01:06 AM »
My comments are coming tomorrow morning my time (so like 12 hrs). Apologies for the major delay.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #1126 on: October 18, 2020, 01:31:15 PM »
Apologies for the delay too. My internet died....

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1127 on: October 18, 2020, 03:34:02 PM »

Kamineko's Comments

Hi nrh2110, these are my comments to your legs. :luvya:

Premiere Leg [Kyoto, Japan]

Show content
Choosing Kyoto as the Starting Line location and focusing the premiere leg on the same city is pretty daring, I say. I always have high hopes for a Japan leg, so hopefully you can impress me this time.

Love the Starting Line location. I think it fits really well for a Starting Line, especially in Kyoto.

The Starting Line Task is pretty solid I believe. I just wish you included the picture of the Kyoto International Manga Museum. Also, I believe this task fits better if it’s held in the museum, instead of in the Starting Line.

The first cryptic clue is nice. I believe teams would have a hard time to find out that Nintendo’s HQ is located here. But if they’re smart enough, they can just go inside the museum and ask for help from the locals.

The first Roadblock is nicely themed. I just don’t like that there are only four spots to perform the Roadblock at one time.

Onto the next task in Ichihime Shrine (a typo you made right there), which is a Hinamatsuri themed task is fine. I have some issues for this. First, that the shrine is way smaller than the Nintendo HQ but all teams can complete the challenge in one time, but you only provided four spots at the first Roadblock. Also, you used a picture of Ichihime Shrine that is located in Kanazawa, not the one in Kyoto, I believe.

The next location is pretty useless and can be skipped, because teams will only get a clue directing them to Kiyomizu-dera. Perhaps you picked Otani Hombyo because it’s near the next location, but I wonder why you pick the specific location, instead of other nearby locations like (for example) Ninenzaka or Yasaka Shrine.

Then teams have to go directly to a theater for another Roadblock. The concept is great because I would love to see a geisha-themed task happening. I am confused that teams had to dress a geisha, but followed by learning a dance routine, which was not really related. Perhaps you meant that they have to dress themselves as geisha then learn the routine? Because that makes more sense to me.

Finally they go to the Pit Stop at Kinkaku-ji. Nice location to serve at the Pit Stop.

For my final comments, I believe you highlighted Kyoto pretty well. It’s not a perfect one because I think you were rushed to submit this leg. Also, the latter half of the leg just seems pretty mediocre to me, because at the beginning I was pleased reading on your leg but it’s declining after the halfway of the leg.

Assigned Country Leg [Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei → Rotorua, New Zealand]

Show content
Since this is my assigned country to you, I really hope that you impress me with a side of New Zealand that I rarely see.

I like that you’re starting in Brunei. We’ve never had a leg before in Brunei, so I am really curious about a leg in Brunei as well. I have to say that the location that you pick, which is Rotorua, is not surprising, since Rotorua has some Maori influenced sights and many cultural sights as well in there. But let’s see if you can surprise me with your leg in Rotorua.

The first location is nice and well fit for the upcoming Roadblock. I really like the background story for the Roadblock, and that you took parts of the story as your Roadblock task. I just don’t like that you didn’t explain more about the music that they had to follow and you didn’t include a picture of the geothermal pool.

The next location is also nice. Although you didn’t have any task there, I like that the geyser fits really well with Rotorua.

Then, teams went to a Maori village. Although from the picture it seems to be a tourist attraction location, that's fine.

Your next task is another Roadblock, but it’s fine. I really like the Roadblock task since it fits really well with the indigenous culture there. I had watched this way of cooking in Gordon Ramsay’s Uncharted series, so I can imagine how this task would work, thus I really like it that you used this task.

Finally they go to the Pit Stop. It’s another nice location and really fit as a Pit Stop location.

For my final comments for this leg, I appreciate that you follow my suggestion and avoid the adrenaline activities, but still delivered a pretty solid leg in New Zealand. I just feel that I want to see more task(s) because it seems to be a pretty short leg. Another idea I kinda hoped you included in this leg was a task related to sheep since it’s an animal that fits well with New Zealand and I really love to see more featured in a race.
Thanks Kami, just a few things!

1. I think your criticism about having the SLT at the museum makes sense, I honestly wish I'd thought of having them run there for the SLT, so I think that's a reasonable critism.

2. I think four is enough, given how much time they have on each go, and for the players who aren't good, for the first few times their rounds may be shorter because they keep dying. But I'd be okay with maybe a couple more—I think having enough for everyone to play or even most to be able to play wouldn't be as interesting and wouldn't create as much of a staggering of teams that having four or maybe a couple more would.

3. Your criticism is fair about the ARI. I didn't have a chance to visit it while I was there so I didn't realize it was that small (also sorry for getting the wrong picture!).

4. Yes. I chose the Otani Hombyo simply due to its proximity to Kiyomizudera.

5. Yes. I didn't realize that they way I wrote it could be interpreted differently, but that is EXACTLY what I meant—they get dressed and then learn the routine.

6. I included information about both the music and the pool in my notes!:

The main highlight of the music being played is the flute, and you can listen to an example here. As you can see in this picture, the hot pool isn't deep either, so grabbing the clue at the bottom won't be too difficult.

7. Your criticism is fair about the length, but I still feel that it would work for a full hour episode—especially since it's longer than the original Rotorua leg, and the Roadblocks are both multiple-part roadblocks that will take time. I actually considered doing something with sheep but I figured that that was just as expected as an adrenaline task. I really wanted to do a leg that really tailored to the Maori side of New Zealand bc iirc, the only task relating to Maori culture in the visits of TARUS (I may be wrong though, it's been a while since I've watched some of the seasons) was the tattoo one and I think that's something that's expected, so I wanted to do it justice.

Thanks Kami! Hope I get to see one more leg of comments.

I'd like to revise what I said about the SLT. I actually forgot that I did consider doing the SLT at the manga museum, but I realized that would mean that Phil would somehow have to get to the manga museum before the teams and logistically that's impossible because if he hopped in a car, I'm sure teams would just follow wherever he's going. And yes, I guess someone else could check the teams' guesses at the manga museum, but I think it's tradition to have Phil do it with his "That is correct!" rather than some local, especially when it would flashback to when the teams got eliminated as they get their correct answers.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1128 on: October 18, 2020, 09:15:06 PM »

Gamer's Judgments:

Like before, I will be giving my comments! But this time, like Kami, I think you have all done as much as to be dignified by having your comments be one post per Designer rather than a clump, so that is what I will do.

First off...

Kyoto, Japan

Show content
First of all, your AS cast…. whew there’s a few questionable choices but UB works I guess. Your SLT is something I really loved! It’s pretty much something in concept that helps establish the Unfinished Business motif, and really helps teams face their problems head-on lol. It’s just a fun idea for a task.

Your first Roadblock is interesting! I would normally think giving non-video game players a game task seems unfair at first, but I think 1-1 and 1-2 on Super Mario Bros. is iconic and memorable enough to be an introduction for this task to be fair. I do think it’s very good, and its also very timely - it is Mario’s 35th anniversary after all.

I also really like your doll altar task. Your next Route Info is interesting. I like the idea of making teams look up to find the place with minimal instructions, and there’s a chance for teams to just risk taking a penalty to find it faster. Your Roadblock is decent enough, but I just think that with the tempo of how geisha performances can be, I think that it’s a bit tonally off from the rest of the leg, which feels busy, loud, and exciting. It’s still a solid task, but I would have preferred something with similar energies to the tasks before it.

We then head to the Pit Stop.

NRH, I really loved this Japan leg! I think a big problem with modern TAR and Japan is that its too focused on showing the “wacky” side of Japan to the point of mockery, and I think your leg managed to show enough culture to that. I just wish your Roadblock fit the energy of the rest of the leg before it.

Rotorua, New Zealand

Show content
My comments will be brief and short, just like this leg.

I’m not a fan of your Roadblock. It’s just swimming. Beautiful place, yes, but it’s not the most exciting Roadblock. We then have another Roadblock that is cooking. And then that’s it? Pit Stop already? I’m a bit surprised, to be honest, that was short.

NRH, ironically, I think this leg of yours actually fit the “premiere” part of the requirements better, and not in a good way. I thought that your leg was very short and the Roadblocks were both underwhelming. With no other task, it just feels very barebones and I’m really just not a fan of this leg. I understand it was a difficult place to design in, but I just think you could have thrown in any other task, even an adventure one, and it would have flowed a little bit better.

This is easily the weaker of your two legs by a big margin, but points for location.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #1129 on: October 18, 2020, 09:16:57 PM »
Hello everyone! Thank you for your hard work! By the sheer luck of coincidence, each of you have designed one leg of a place that I have visited before (Kyoto, Baguio, Kaohsiung, Ambon, Cairns and Ella). Hence, for the leg which you have created and I have visited before, I will be a little more strict and expecting certain sort of familiarity, and in general, although I have a marking rubrics of five components below... what I am looking out for a leg itself MUST BE where the places visited or tasks and activities attempted can let me scream in me "HEY I WANNA DO THAT"! That was the very feeling which got me hooked on to The Amazing Race, and I think the essence of it is quintessential.

And let me make this clear - We all have different expectations of how and what a leg should be like.. so to each his own and I respect the hard work that you have done for your leg for sure. However, as I was tasked to be a judge, the comments that I provide will be straight to the point and state really clearly what I like or do not like as I do not like to beat about the bush. You may disagree, but that doesn't make my comments invalid... so there really isn't a need to defend or reply to my judging LOL (as I won't have time to read it either). Also, you are not wrong either with whatever you have done for the leg, so be proud with what you have done and making it this far. <3

Design #1 - nrh2110's Premiere Leg
[Kyoto, Japan]

- Originality & creativity
We have seen some sort of tasks arranging dolls/related to dolls (TAR9/18), and although I know the tasks may be different, it did brought back some familiarity and similarity in my mind. Although I can completely see the cultural reference and significance of this task, especially to be done by the teams visiting Kyoto.

- Tasks
I love the Roadblock, and the gameshow like task which The Amazing Race likes to do when they visit Japan. However, you mentioned about the cultural history and importance of Kyoto even right from the start, and then the very first task was a gameshow like replica which we have seen many times on the show, and they did not necessary turn out well.

The beautiful part about Kiyomizudera, would be the amazing shopping streets leading up to the temple, was hoping for a feature of the streets. The temple itself, is also currently under restoration - something that TAR will keep in mind about making it a location to be visited or not. It is unlikely they will visit the temple as more than 50% of the temple is covered up.

- Locations
What do they have to do at Otani Hombyo? There's a stone bridge with lotus... would have been good to let them retrieve a clue from fishing out a lotus from the pond etc. Just felt that even though some places are just locations to retrieve a clue etc, but it's not exactly an "active task" if you ask them to merely retrieve a clue an unconventional way that doesn't take up much time! :)

- Presentation & attention to details
I know that as this is an online game, it is important to provide details and an explanation as to how the activities or tasks will be carried out. However, I honestly cannot imagine Phil rattling on to a long introduction to each task. Sometimes, the best sort of explanation and introduction are those that are short, sweet, concise and not misleading.

- Enjoyment of the leg
I like the locations, the tasks, but wished there was more attention to the cultural aspect - actual significance to Kyoto and not just visiting the temple. For example, when I went to Kiyomizudera, I took a reading for a blessing. There was also no natural aspects - Arashiyama, Bamboo Forest, Monkey Forest etc. That was a miss, in terms of planning a leg in Kyoto. Yes, tourist traps no doubt - but these locations are honestly why people even visit Kyoto in the first place. From a viewer point of view, I would have been dismayed by the constant features of temples - with nothing to do, but will be interested in some scenic beauty aspects.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1130 on: October 18, 2020, 09:17:51 PM »

Gamer's Judgments:

Second...

Venice, Italy

Show content
No money to start the Race is a very bad idea. I’m also very confused with your first Roadblock. What’s the strategy behind it if you need to get 75 Euros and the locations are fixed? What is the point for having 5 locations if they pay differently when the task in the first place is to deliver to 5 areas and collect 75 Euros?

We then go to a library, and this is an instant way to kill premiere momentum. This task is not only not telegenic, it is also boring. And then after that is your other Roadblock… which is somehow even more boring - a translate task. Then it’s the Pit Stop.

Mike, I feel like you’ve done so many premiere legs this season of Design Challenge, and yet somehow I think this is somehow the weakest one you’ve thrown out so far. I don’t get the challenge, I don’t understand why you chose two very untelegenic tasks for a vast majority of the leg, and I don’t understand the reasoning behind no money.

Just a lot of unfortunate decisions in this leg, to put it bluntly. Not a very good start to this two-leg submission.

Baguio, Philippines

Show content
Your Fast Forward is a pointless Switchback. And I immediately have a very big problem with your logistics. You make teams drive to the Banaue Rice Terraces which is hours away, then you have a Double Yield, then you make them harvest rice, which isn’t a terrible task, and then you make teams drive to ANOTHER place in Sagada which is also hours away. That’s immediately around 8 hours burned just driving, which immediately means that unless teams are arriving early in the morning, this leg is not feasible.

Your Roadblock is also very unrealistic. I know for a fact that you cannot be “hanged alive” in a coffin where bodies could have been. It’s just not something I would do, and it’s just a task that on paper already looks infeasible. And even if we were to imagine that this was a doable task, it’s just lying down for 2 minutes. So so far we’ve driven 8 hours just for a team to pick up some rice and lie down for 2 minutes.

Your Detour is also a mixed bag. The first Detour is a bit funny, but it doesn’t feel like a task that can lead to any changes, since its not a very big area. The other Detour is just dangerous. I know cameramen can use night vision, but this is just an impossibly dangerous task. You just don’t let teams go spelunking in the dark. You really just don’t.

And then to get to the Pit Stop we drive ANOTHER four hours. I just don’t know what to say at this point.

Mike, I gave you my country as a sign for you to show that you deserved to get this far and to impress me, and I walked away without being impressed by anything whatsoever. Irregardless, I have to congratulate you for getting this far. This was your highest DC placement yet in your entire RFF history, and no amount of criticism can erase that achievement away from you. But as far as your run is concerned, there’s no way this isn’t the end for you. Thank you for your participation.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1131 on: October 18, 2020, 09:20:10 PM »

Gamer's Judgments:

Third...

Nyaungshwe, Myanmar

Show content
Your SLT is okay but a bit too reminiscent of TAR19. I like the idea of scrambling for departure times, but I think a shorter stretch would lead to a more competitive first leg, more like 15 minutes per group.

Your first Roadblock is good, but like your SLT, I think it suffers for being too similar to TAR29 Vietnam. Granted, it is different countries, but it is fundamentally pretty similar, just with a short harvesting element tacked on. Still a great task though! Just think it’s too similar.

Your ring counting task is great! I just hope that there’s a fixed area of women so teams don’t suddenly pester unrelated local women by suddenly counting her rings lmao. But it’s a good task.

Your Detour is cultural and I like the idea of playing with Gold. One is to make paste and the other is to make a Gold Leaf. I think both tasks feel similar in that they are both teams “crafting” something out of Gold, but I appreciate how one is more physical than the other to make a clear distinction.

We then head to the Pit Stop.

Overall, I liked this leg! I think you did a great job of showcasing Myanmar, and your tasks were all solid. My problem with your leg is really just that the first half feels familiar, but that’s not really to take away from the work as a whole and is honestly just nitpicking lol. Good job.

Kaoshiung, Taiwan

Show content
A night leg in Taiwan! TAR12’s Taiwan night leg is one of my favorite legs of all time so I have high hopes. Immediately, I like your first Route Info. It’s a nice way to kick off the leg by showing a pretty sight. And I particularly love how this ties in with your Active Route Info. It’s a simple lock task when done right, but I could easily see teams just outright making this a luck task lol <3

We then have your Detour. I like the 7-11 Detour. I think it’s a unique way to integrate product placement while also shouting out that yes, Taiwan does have too many 7-11 stores. I know this because of the times I’ve been there lol. It’s a shopping task that can immediately get complicated, and I love it, especially when it’s in the middle of rush hour with plenty of locals in the stores. Your other Detour is great as well. It’s an eating task that shouts out Taiwanese street food while also being a luck and translation task. I just really love your Detour. Both shopping tasks, but both with their own quirks to make them more challenging than what they are on the surface!

Your leg was so full that I was honestly expecting the Pit Stop already and forgot you had no RB yet lol. Anyways, I really liked your Roadblock! It looks beautiful as per the YouTube video, and I think this is a BETTER way of implementing fireworks at night in a Taiwan leg than what TAR12 did. It’s either an indirect shoutout or not, but still a solid and beautiful task. We then head to the Pit Stop to end this night leg.

Honestly, I feel like out of a lot of your legs, this is probably my favorite one yet. I have really nothing to complain about lol. You’ve done a great job this season, and this leg is no exception. Excellent job!

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1132 on: October 18, 2020, 09:22:56 PM »

Gamer's Judgments:

Fourth...

Ambon, Indonesia

Show content
Your Starting Line Task is an interesting concept, but I just think it’s a little bit too long. Your Detour is also interesting, in that they are both bamboo, but I’m a bit confused with the requirement of both tasks to craft bamboo. I think if you wanted to add an extra challenge, the cooking Detour could have had a delivery element instead of a building element, while the music task could probably have the other team member keep the beat with the other learning how to play. It would have nailed the essence of both tasks dealing with bamboo while not feeling tacked on.

Your Roadblock is fine, but I think this should have been first. It doesn’t look particularly hard, and I would have preferred a video of the ritual. Your Active Route Info is a good dance task that is never unwelcome in a premiere leg.

We then have another Roadblock which is eating. It’s a decent task, but I just think that it’s a bit odd that we have a side of the Detour that’s cooking, followed by a food Roadblock, and then we also had a music Detour with an ARI later that’s dancing. It’s a little bit repetitive. We then go to the Pit Stop.

Lemontail, I thought your tasks were decent, but I thought your Detour had too many elements to it that didn’t feel like an organic difficulty enhancer, and your tasks felt really similar when read one by one. I just thought this leg was a little bit too long. But other than that, I appreciated the culture, and I appreciated the leg. Good job.

Lampang, Thailand

Show content
My second assigned leg! Here we go.

Loved the Egg rolling Roadblock! I just don’t like the rebuilding part since I think that is a little bit too tedious, but it’s a unique Roadblock nonetheless. Your cooking task is a good, fun selling task.

Unfortunately, I was just lost by your Detour. The first option is good, and I like the idea of a very attention to detail based task since a lot of clothes can look similar. But the other option, my mind just broke. I could not understand a single thing of what the description was, and I don’t think I can grade the task in good merit when I can’t even understand it. We then head to the Pit Stop.

Lemontail, I liked your leg for the most part, but the Detour really just lost me. I don’t understand the second Detour at all, and as a result, it just makes the leg feel incomplete for me. At least you got to show off the culture, which is honestly the strongest part of both of your legs.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1133 on: October 18, 2020, 09:25:05 PM »

Gamer's Judgments:

Fifth...

Cairns, Australia

Show content
Nuku, your SLT is too long. It feels like a leg of its own and you could have just had it be one of the tasks without the need for the others.

Your Roadblock is fine but reminds me a little bit of TAR18 since that was also Australia Leg 1 with diving. It’s a good idea to have teams in the Great Barrier Reef though. Your second Roadblock though just feels like…. I don’t know lol. It’s a disassembly task turned assembly task and I just don’t see the purpose to it.

The Body Painting ARI is cool, then we head to the Pit Stop.

Nuku, I didn’t really enjoy this leg because I thought that your SLT was just too long. Your SLT is actually probably harder than a majority of your leg, and that’s not what SLTs should be. While I liked your first Roadblock and the Paint ARI, the second RB was just pointless and there’s really no major element in this leg where I was wowed. That said, your presentation is good, and I liked the many sights we went to, so good job on the locations. I definitely think this is at least the stronger Oceania leg this round.

Tbilisi, Georgia

Show content
Your grape collection was a good task to start the leg, but I dislike your Detour being Blind. Both tasks are good, but I think making this a blind Detour was unnecessary. Your Roadblock is fun and cultural, and I like how it’s specifically designed to be physically demanding.

We then head to the Pit Stop. Nuku, this was a better leg than your premiere. All the tasks were solid, it showed off a good amount of culture while remaining telegenic, and had it not been for the unnecessary Blind Detour, this leg is up there. Good job!

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1134 on: October 18, 2020, 09:26:32 PM »

Gamer's Judgments:

And finally...

Antigua, Guatemala

Show content
Your SLT is good, but I think the kite touching water part is a bit unnecessary. The Hazard is great. Your Roadblock is interesting, but I think it’s a little bit too quiet after your start. It’s a unique task, yes, but I just don’t think it really fits as the first major task of the leg proper.

I liked the luck task. And your second Roadblock was the big open task I wanted to kick off your leg! It’s busy, its bustling, and it’s a challenging task that showcases culture well. Your Express Pass task is fine, although unnecessary. We already have a Hazard and now we also have an EP? That’s a little bit too many twists for a first leg.

We then go to the Pit Stop.

Bookworm, this was a solid premiere leg, but I just thought there was a bit of a pacing problem. Your SLT was big and exciting, and then for the other teams it’s suddenly a slow down with the nun Roadblock. It just doesn’t fit, and I think not having a Hazard and just making your RB be the chocolate task with a potential added element of navigation to get said chocolate would have been a better first task. Your luck task and second Roadblock is great, but I think your Express Pass task would have just worked as an ARI proper. Still, this is a solid leg where my nitpicks are only really just too many twists. Good job!

Ella, Sri Lanka

Show content
A lot of Route Infos to start! Interesting.

The exorcism task omg lol <3 This is very fitting considering it is October, but it’s just a unique, scary, and very very cultural task.

Then we get to your Detour. I like the first Detour for having an element of luck and estimation, but I think the penalty aspect is a little bit too much. The other Detour is great and straightforward. I think the point of the penalty aspect for the spice task was to make it feel like a task that you could easily get while the other Detour didn’t really have margin of errors, but I just thought that it didn’t exactly feel right. Still, good tasks!

We then get to the Pit Stop.

Bookworm, I really liked this leg, and without the additional padding that hurt your premiere leg IMO, I thought this was easily your best leg of the round. While I have some problems with the first Detour having an odd penalty system, it’s still a good, solid leg that showcases enough of Sri Lanka’s culture and implements it well into the tasks that just works. Good job!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #1135 on: October 18, 2020, 09:28:46 PM »
Ooops sorry gamerfan for destroying your train of comments~ :lol:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #1136 on: October 18, 2020, 09:31:26 PM »
Design #2 - nrh2110's Assigned Country Leg
[Rotorua, New Zealand]

I honestly love the creativity of both Roadblocks. But with creativity, the exchange was the task being way too specific which would have been impractical on the real race.

- Tasks
The roadblock seemed like a go to Point A, to B, then to C. I can imagine the editors having a hard time to translate this to viewers. I honestly don't think it's a very feasible task and I would have been more interested in the natural surroundings, or simply keep the task straightforward which is to listen for the right music and follow the right path, and collect significant items along the way. If they miss any, they will need to restart.

- Locations
Pohutu Geyser, yes! But missed opportunity. Again, not an active route information that I am talking about here. But, is there a special way in which a clue can be retrieved, instead of just simply collecting the clue? Maybe, they have to wait for the geyser to sprout water once?

The introduction to each task is really too lengthy. I know it means the attention to details, but I wished for the explanations to be concise. I honestly think the Roadblock explanation, especially for the second one, is way too demanding and specific for a task.

- Enjoyment of the leg
I enjoyed this leg more than the Kyoto one. There's a mix and balance of city and nature, and the tasks are more elaborated and well-thought out.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 12:04:27 AM by Jobby »

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1137 on: October 18, 2020, 09:32:01 PM »
Ooops sorry gamerfan for destroying your train of comments~ :lol:

No worries and likewise... I didn't see you post your first comment too  :lol:

I'm done now though.

ETA: omg sorry for doing it again  :groan:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 09:35:58 PM by gamerfan09 »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #1138 on: October 18, 2020, 09:32:05 PM »
Design #3 - MikeDodgers' Premiere Leg
[Venice, Italy]

The task of the translation of relic is definitely fun! Would have loved for an example of the relic and meaning that it's translated into.

- Tasks
I like the Marco Polo Roadblock and could see it being an actual task on the race. My concern is the ambiguity in how many locations in total that they can choose from, and what if they didn't deliver to the 5 locations that will give them 75 euros, then what next?

- Locations
At St. Mark's Square, how and where would they pick up their clue? Would have loved for the leg to tap on honeypot tourism!

I understand the library task, but was hoping for an elaboration (not a lengthy one), but like a clue they have to solve to find a copy - or maybe this is just pure luck? Would have hoped for clarity.

- Enjoyment of the leg
I love the location, but I want to get onto the canals in Venice! Those canals are special and beautiful! To me, the historical aspect of this leg is definitely on point - but what is lacking is the cultural aspect. The use of food, items, or even costumes, would have been additional plus points on a beautiful location like Venice!

In general, as compared to nrh2110 who gave too much details, Mike's details could have been improved.

I hope that you guys who are reading this wouldn't see this as a contradiction - but rather, I am trying to find a fine balance. I'm on the third leg so far, and maybe I'll soon encounter a leg with a good balance? :D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 12:14:53 AM by Jobby »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #1139 on: October 18, 2020, 09:32:24 PM »
Design #4 - MikeDodgers' Assigned Country Leg
[Baguio, Philippines]

I have been here and I love it HAHAHA.

Flying to Manila for the post office? This could have been done in any country around the world. Not just that, this is very different from the TAR 11 Roadblock where they tried to find letters at the far end of the world. I honestly wouldn't have included this post office task.

- Tasks
Harvesting rice - Good task, something that we haven't seen before... but any catch to it? For example, a foreman will reject their rice if the right technique is not used? There are techniques to harvest rice and I thought this was a missed opportunity.

And this could have been a perfect needle in the haystack task. Teams go to their given area, harvest the wheat (pulled by hand), for a wheat with a (RED and YELLOW) end for example, or tied with a ribbon?? Just thought that this could have been such an epic TAR 6 haybales task!

I completely dislike the hanging coffins task. Imagine the backlash that TAR will receive when cultural appropriation is not done properly. Not all teams' religious practice would allow for this task to happen. This is a NO-NO for me.

- Locations
Yes, beautiful rice terraces! Imagine the team being Yielded, would have stopped at the location and letting the production have loads of time to capture the beautiful scenery. :lol:

I just don't think there's attention to details. VIRTUOUS VALUES is just an extremely dubious Detour that's waiting to implode. How would you catch a man committing adultery in the streets? Can TAR show that explicitly?

Again, deep in the dark seemed to be like a TAR 7 Roadblock where Gretchen was lowered into the cave and then injured herself and become bloodied. In the cave, there's nothing to see, nothing to feature and then it just becomes part of an active route info instead of an actual task showcasing an activity. Something that I really wouldn't enjoy watching.

- Enjoyment of the leg
I really don't enjoy this leg. It seems a hard sell of culture reference but done so wrongly. Sorry, Mike.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 12:27:32 AM by Jobby »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #1140 on: October 18, 2020, 09:32:43 PM »
Design #5 - betheactress' Premiere Leg
[Nyaungshwe, Myanmar]

Such a fun active route info of finding a Htis! <3 It's repetitive and has been done before, but who says that this cannot be original when done with the right cultural reference!!

- Tasks
I love how you incorporated one route info with another (putting the Hti at the pagoda). This was what I was referring to about a location not just being a location, but there could be a task or activity elaborated to bring out the uniqueness of the place! :)

- Locations
Five days market and the detour is an extremely well thought-out task with good relevance to culture. Maybe not so much of creativity wise, because we have seen some of this tasks before - but definitely fool proof and won't go wrong.

Find the Kayan with the most rings on the neck? Such fun! But teams would need to be careful not to violate anyone's or touch them. How would this be done? Maybe they have to select a lady they think have the most rings (and then tell the answer to the judge). If they have it, they get the clue, if they don't they have to incur a penalty on the spot before they can move on (which gives the teams a choice between spending time to get it right, or just incurring a penalty from the get go)? I am also interested to see how this will work out, but this is such an amazing task!

- Enjoyment of the leg
I honestly miss departure times being in TAR! Such a hit and miss, if done right - it bunches up the teams who got disadvantaged by air travel and makes it more interesting. If done wrong, the teams who got bunched up will never catch up. I am alright with a departure time, but whenever there's a departure time bunching point, I would always hope for TAR to put some sort of a skill based task subsequently to allow teams to catch up. If it's more of a get from Point A to B, it becomes a bore fest. Which, you did perfectly for your Roadblock. <3

There's also a balance between city and nature. A leg which I actually will enjoy on TAR!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 12:39:51 AM by Jobby »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #1141 on: October 18, 2020, 09:33:57 PM »
Design #6 - betheactress' Assigned Country Leg
[Kaohsiung, Taiwan]

In terms of originality, I still think that certain tasks could be similar to TAR, but could be tweaked to your advantage. For example, the fireworks task was something we saw in TAR 12 (just that it was fire crackers), so I thought that maybe they could attempt to let the fireworks go and find their next information/clue hidden in the fireworks? IDK, just something that we haven't seen on TAR before would have made this leg perfect!

- Tasks
STICKERS AND STALLS WOULD BE THE AMAZING DETOUR I WOULD LOVE TO BE DOING. OMG. I love collecting those stickers in Taiwan too from convenience stalls, and I love the food from the night markets! And you made them eat gross and disgusting food too! <33333333333333333333

This is one of those Detours where I could clearly see the PROS and CONS that Phil always talked about. Do you want to eat gross food, or do you want to waste time finding stickers??! :lol:

- Locations
Locations are very city wise, would have hoped for scenic locations. But for a night leg, I understand that this could be on purpose, and you brought in fireworks, night markets etc. Very smart.

"After being ceded to the Japanese empire in 1895, it was given back to China after World War II. Although Taiwan strives to be independent from mainland China, it holds no seat in the United Stations and is only recognized by 14 UN countries."

I think this part here could have been avoided. As much as TAR's western influence, TAR doesn't dapple into politics. :(

I can see the Enter the Dragon and Exit the Tiger being an actual task, but it just seems so confusing. Actually, there could just be a 144 boxes, with 144 different years on it. Teams will only find their clue in the dragon years? I think that would be a much more manageable RI.

- Enjoyment of the leg
I love this leg, but the cultural reference to it was not as strong as your Myanmar leg. Still a good job and well done!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 12:49:17 AM by Jobby »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #1142 on: October 18, 2020, 09:40:10 PM »
Design #7 - Lemontail's Premiere Leg
[Ambon, Indonesia]

There is much creativity with mixing the tasks together, where part of one task is needed for the next. But it's no doubt confusing and I really don't think it would have been feasible for a REAL race. Online TAR, yes, but not a real race.

- Tasks
The bamboo task was confusing and I honestly think it was too much. The Detour on the other hand meets the perfect cultural reference and I like it a lot. The Roadblock is also interesting and never seen before, and will add to plus points for this leg!

- Locations
Monuments, memorial park? This is the exact reason why I dislike TAR visiting places like Indonesia and the Philippines, yet don't tap on the local culture / scenic places as tasks. I think a monument and memorial park is fine. But would you honestly visit a park out of no where in the middle of a holiday? I know TAR does that often, but this is very different as compared to European countries where the palaces / castles are actual places of interests. In this case, the places you have highlighted are clearly not.

Too many ARI? Too many locations and it got me really confused. So many locations are just fodder places!

- Enjoyment of the leg
I honestly love the tasks, but I do not like the locations. I know that it is limited for a place like Indonesia to find places to visit that's attractive, but I disagree. I think for countries like Indonesia, the focus on cultural reference must be strong, because the locations would be underwhelming (nothing against Indonesia), and I don't see it for most of the locations that you included, except for your Detour and Roadblock!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 01:00:46 AM by Jobby »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #1143 on: October 18, 2020, 09:40:29 PM »
Design #8 - Lemontail's Assigned Country Leg
[Lampang, Thailand]

I love the ceramic eggs task and I actually really want to see it on the race one day! "If one of these eggs falls into the floor, they must make a new one from clay then apply magnetic iron coil over it and try again with the egg anew." However, is this really feasible. And 30 eggs? I think production wise this is really not the best well-planned task.

- Tasks
Grilled eggs in banana leaves!! Street food in Thailand! Definitely worth a go.

- Locations
The appearance of Baan Sao Nak, felt insignificant.

Dress Up and Cover Up are two possible options that I can foresee creating a whole load of drama on the race. For the dress up Detour, I felt like more details need to be provided to highlight how this task is a special one as compared to the usual ones we see on the race.

- Enjoyment of the leg
A well-planned leg with good tasks, but not so good locations. :(
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 12:53:39 PM by Jobby »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #1144 on: October 18, 2020, 09:41:01 PM »
Design #9 - Nuku's Premiere Leg
[Cairns, Australia]

Is the Australian culture really about making beach furniture? Imagine teams flying all the way just to make furniture when there's so much to see and do in Australia!

- Tasks
- What's the point of a mud obstacle course? If I wanted to watch an obstacle course, I would have watched Ninja Warrior or Survivor? Ooops! What about the race tube and snow summit. They looked like amazing tasks for an online TAR game, but for a real life TAR, it's just time wasting, probably won't result in any shifting of positions and will be a bore fest. Not just that, I would have appreciated the focus to be on the location, and not just the tasks.

- Locations
I love the Great Barrier Reef, but I just didn't feeeeel enough of it the entire leg.

I actually really like the Roadblock. Would have hoped for it to be somewhat linked to a sustainable tourism / environmental related to promote some green messages...

- Enjoyment of the leg
It felt like an extremely generic and boring leg... BUT THE PIT STOP LOCATION IS AMAZING.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 12:54:21 PM by Jobby »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #1145 on: October 18, 2020, 09:41:37 PM »
Design #10 - Nuku's Assigned Country Leg
[Tbilisi, Georgia]

Talk about being too punny. Just felt that your task introduction for each task is way too weird and awkward.

- Tasks
I actually really liked the Detour, but felt there can be more attention to details (such as how the task is carried out). I do not really need detailed elaborations, but I just really want to be able to guess/know what the teams are doing, which I did not get from your descriptions.

- Locations
Comparing to your other leg, the locations on this leg felt slip-shod and hardly well-thought of.

Felt that more can be improved, especially on your ARI.

- Enjoyment of the leg
I did not really enjoy this leg as much as your previous leg. The stand out task was the Detour.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 12:59:46 PM by Jobby »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #1146 on: October 18, 2020, 09:41:57 PM »
Design #11 - Bookworm's Premiere Leg
[Antigua, Guatemala]

"Phil: Once there, they must solve equations written with Mayan numerals with chocolate pieces."
There were actual pictures of the equations and how the task could be solved. Something which I mentioned above which was missing in one of the designer's leg.

- Tasks
What a fun pit-start activity! <3
And the use of Chicken Buses, to highlight local transport! Something that none of the other teams have done.

Phil: 15 nuns, each adorned with name tags, are wandering the convent. Team members must analyze all of them, from their activities to their clothes to their dormitories, in order to discern which order each nun belongs to. When team members think they've got it right, they can find the 16th nun, the mother superior, and report the names and order of all 15 nuns. Once correct, they'll receive their next clue. If incorrect, they'll have to keep searching the convent for answers.
- Eh oh, are you sure this will be culturally appropriate?

- Locations
Beautifooooooooooooo pit-start location! All the locations/pictures chosen sparked a genuine interest in me to really visit Antigua one day!

Definitely well presented leg, and well-elaborated as to how a team may complete a task / eliminated etc.

- Enjoyment of the leg
I really liked the tasks! They were largely culturally appropriate and really showed off the country!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 01:05:01 PM by Jobby »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #1147 on: October 18, 2020, 09:42:19 PM »
Design #12 - Bookworm's Assigned Country Leg
[Ella, Sri Lanka]

There's definitely these two traits in your leg, but I just felt it was way too much details (and elaborating and pictures) and it just eventually became tiring for me to even understand what may be going on during the leg.

- Tasks
I really liked the tasks, but felt that they were pretty much expected - and generic. No wow factor for me, but it was an extremely well-planned leg.

- Locations
Adam's Peak and Little Adam's Peak <33333333333333333
But do you know that the locations in Sri Lanka are really really far apart and this travel itself will take 4 hours+, which seemed not feasible...

That was a really well-elaborated RB and the Detour especially was race appropriate. Appreciate that it's also linked to the culture of Sri Lanka.

- Enjoyment of the leg
Enjoyed this leg, but felt that it was very one-dimensional of getting the teams to go to a place - perform a task - complete - receive clue - continue on. Wished for some other factors which may impress me.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 01:11:21 PM by Jobby »

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1148 on: October 20, 2020, 12:47:34 AM »

I may have not said this enough throughout the season, but I want it to be known that I'm proud of each and every one of you for making it this far in DC8. You've all created some amazing designs and you should be pleased with how much you've been able to accomplish, whether you make it to the finale or not. :)

Anyway, without further ado, here are my comments for your assigned country legs.

Bookworm - Ella, Sri Lanka

Show content
• Starting up in Shanghai, teams fly to Sri Lanka and take a train to Gampola and encounter an HoO. The next day, teams board another train for Ella to find Little Adam’s Peak. I understand your justification from your notes for doing transportation this way, so I’m completely fine with it- the aerial shots of Ambuluwawa Tower are probably worth it.

• Teams end up at Dowa Rock Temple for the Roadblock, involving an exorcist dance. This would definitely be an introduction to a new culture for nearly all viewers, as this Sinhalese dance tradition is not widely known. The Roadblock combines spatial awareness, attention to detail, and memory. While complex, this task idea is a good way to showcase the dance.

• The Press Down Detour involves spices; that was something I had in mind when selecting Sri Lanka for my judge’s pick country, so good job :funny: From experience, I know that using a mortar and pestle to grind is repetitive and boring work. Are there any spices in the raw form that don’t correspond to a jar? With dozens of spices, finding the correct one should take a little while for each turn. The task isn’t gripping, but does involve strategy- which is a good thing.

• Lift Off puts teams to work creating kites. I like the location, the tie-in to Vesak, and the variety of colors. It’s a lot more cut-and-dry than Press Down, but just as cultural. Overall, no major gripes about this Detour.

• I like the Pit Stop location and the music aspect you included, although stairs right before a Pit Stop is just cruel. :P

Summary: When picking Sri Lanka for one of my countries, I hoped to see a leg that developed Sri Lanka’s traditions and showed the country as one with its own distinct culture. This leg accomplished that, and I was also impressed by the locations and towns you picked to feature in the leg.

betheactress - Kaohsiung & Tainan, Taiwan

Show content
• The leg commences in Myanmar where teams take two flights and a train to arrive in Kaohsiung, Taiwan. Nice to see somewhere outside of Taipei be featured!

• Clever interpretation of the “enter through the dragon and exit through the tiger” using the keys. I love this type of quick mental task to get teams separated at the beginning of the leg and it’s a perfect idea for the pagodas. Kudos!

• Heart of Love is the Detour Decision Point for Stickers/Stalls. Stickers involves traveling to ubiquitous convenience stores and finding different products. I’m glad there are a few different correct solutions; plus, there is a risk/reward with teams being able to decide whether they want to buy all the items at that store or wait and shop around. While teams may end up trying to follow each other around, the streets of Taiwan may be busy enough as to where they get thrown off.

• Stalls also requires searching for a food vendor, but there’s no guesswork once they find the locations, as the task is to simply eat the delicacies. I like the concept of navigating the busy market and I’m sure the teams will have some amusing reactions to the dishes. However, I wish there was a requirement that each team member has to eat a portion; with no such rule, one teammate could do everything essentially by themselves. Plus, I would have liked to see teams get a stamp at each station for a finished dish and then exchange that for their next clue instead of getting 1/5 of their clue for each dish. Still, a good task overall that will be dramatic when multiple teams are racing at the same time.

• Tainan hosts the Roadblock, an explosive assembly task. Interesting backstory on how this tradition got started! That, along with the visuals of the fireworks going off, should make for an engaging episode segment. While the second part of the task could be linear, there still is opportunity for placement switching with the assembly portion. Also, thanks for including some of the safety notes for the task.

• Zhongshan Pavilion is the Pit Stop. It’s still so pretty at night!

Summary: Urban Taiwan is known for being bustling and fast-paced, and this leg was exactly so. I’m amazed at how all the tasks and locations were fitting for a night leg. While not perfect, this is certainly the type of Taiwan leg I’d love to see on TAR.

Nuku - Tbilisi, Georgia

Show content
• India is the Pit Start and teams read the clue to fly to Georgia. I wanted to see another leg here to find out whether the TAR 28 leg could have included different tasks and locations, so let’s see your take on this country.

• After an hours of operation at the winery, teams are tasked with finding different grapes. At only 40 of each kind, the challenge is more about finding the different grape types rather than collection. How different are these grape varieties? Maybe a picture collage could have helped. I do like how teams have to start over completely if they get it wrong- it makes it all-or-nothing.

• Teams head back to Tbilisi for the Detour. The eggs are a unique way to determine the blind Detour; good choice there! In Christmas Decorations, teams must assemble two unique Christmas trees. Looks like a fine task- thanks for including the video of how they are made. What decorations are included?

• The other side is Tempo Guesstimations. Good fundamentals as a music task, but a little more explanation would be nice, such as an example of drum playing. How long are the performances? By the way, the name of the Detour kinda gives away the secret of the task.

• The Open Air Museum of Ethnography is the Roadblock location, where teams have to learn wrestling holds. I like how technique is more important than strength for this Roadblock, and five minutes should be a fair amount of time to be able to show the holds and counterholds. Once they have the moves down, they just have to go out and perform it, and I like how they don traditional clothing for the task as well.

• The Royal Baths Pit Stop then rounds out the leg. No maps or leg money, unfortunately.

Summary: Lots of good things in this leg, namely the cultural tasks and quality locations. Sprucing up the design with more details here and there would have helped the leg be even better, though. Still, this leg holds a candle to the previous Georgia legs on TAR and would likely be a fun episode.

MikeDodgers - Philippines

Show content
• Interested to see what you’ve done in the Philippines, one of the most under-visited countries in Asia. We’ll kick things off in HCMC before flying to Manila.

• At the Post Office, teams find a green envelope. The goal of the Fast Forward task is to find a correctly addressed letter. While it’s not a bad idea, it just doesn’t strike me as being cultural, and I’m hoping to see new parts of a country’s culture when I read through a DC leg (not Switchbacks). If you decide to include a Fast Forward, I would like to see something more unique.

• Teams then self-drive into the countryside and find the Rice Terraces and a Yield. I don’t mind this Double Blind Yield twist, and it’s good that the affected teams have time to catch up. Teams are then faced with a rice ARI task. Pretty simple, although more procedural explanation would be nice.

• Teams then drive to Sagada and encounter a Hanging Coffins Roadblock. This task is frankly bizarre; first, they must somehow climb into one of coffins (?) and then just lay there for 2 minutes? Provided this task is even somehow safe, getting into and out of the coffins is probably going to be more time-consuming than the task itself. There is also a consideration with respect to the local culture- that needs to be followed. This task is just a completely eccentric idea.

• For the Detour, Virtuous Values is a decent concept in theory but needs more explanation on the “crowds” - where are they and how many people do they consist of? In regards to Deep in the Dark, spelunking with no light source is simply not feasible, safe, or telegenic.

• No maps are present to confirm or deny this, but with my knowledge of Philippine geography, I believe the towns you included are pretty far apart. There would be a lot of driving, and I don’t think the task time : drive time ratio is there to justify this (not to mention a major advantage for the FF team, getting to skip much of the driving).

Summary: You picked some interesting locations, but the feasibility issues are glaring (travel time, task safety, etc.). I appreciate you trying to do something different with a Philippine leg, but hardly any of the material as presented seemed usable for TAR. Dedicate a larger portion of time to hammering out details and including them in your presentation next time.

Lemontail - Lampang, Thailand

Show content
• Beginning in Darwin, teams will have to fly to Lampang, Thailand. I like the choice of this unvisited city in Northern Thailand. We haven’t seen enough of this region, so I’m excited to see what you chose to do here.

• At the Ceramic Museum, the Roadblock task requires one team member to move 30 eggs. I like how the task requires focus, and racers have to choose whether to go slow and play it safe or fast and risk dropping the eggs. The penalty for dropping an egg is perfect, and all racers will probably have to make at least a few eggs. In conclusion, this is a fine task that should have ample opportunity for fun moments and racer drama.

• The Street Market gives us an ARI of making and selling a traditional dish. Making things more interesting, they have to move their stall every 10 minutes- this could lead to some chaos and breakdowns! What price must teams sell them for and can they keep the money they earn? It’s always fun to see teams compete for customers.

• The Detour is a choice between Dress Up and Cover Up. I enjoy how Dress Up features the important Thai textile industry, although I think Barbie dolls aren’t as exciting to have the teams dress up as compared to full-size mannequins. Scouring through all the garments to find the correct items will be fun to see on TV.

• Cover Up takes place at a temple, where teams must find clues contained within Buddhist offerings all around the temple. It’s a lot of memory, but persevering teams will likely be able to complete it in a few tries, maximum. Overall, I think the Detour is pretty balanced, and I like the cultural aspects of both sides.

• Then, teams travel to Chao Luang Muen Dong Nakhon Monument to end the leg.

Summary: Your decision to go into northern Thailand paid off! You proved that there are still new things to be seen in a frequently visited country. Self-driving and tedious tasks will make for plenty of drama. Good work!

nrh2110 - Rotorua, New Zealand

Show content
• Brunei provides the start as teams take one of two routes to Rotorua, New Zealand. Totally fine with this area being visited again, as there’s plenty of culture on offer here.

• Teams then drive to the Boardwalk and are faced with an aquatic Roadblock. Racers must swim to shore, find the correct pool, then swim back to the boat. While the explanation of the legend is engaging for us viewers, it probably doesn’t come across to the racers in the heat of the moment, so this is a fairly straightforward task for them. I would have liked to see an extra element to get the racers involved in recreating the legend, such as dressing up in a traditional costume or reciting a phrase once they find the pool- something to help make it seem more than just a “swim as fast as possible” task to the racers.

• Off to Te Puia to find the correct geyser, then over to the Maori Village. I don’t think we’ve ever seen a Maori food task, so I like how this task highlights a new cultural item. However, the procedure for the task seems so explicit. Following a set order of steps doesn’t provide much opportunity for a racer to mess up or find an ingenious way to sneak ahead. There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of risk or potential failure in this task. The cultural side is good, but I just don’t see a lot of drama happening.

• Teams receive their clue to drive to Waimangu Volcanic Valley, the picturesque Pit Stop.

• While keeping the task count low would allow for more airtime to be spent on each task and travel, this is a case where including one more task would be better from a leg design standpoint. The leg was solid, but felt like it was missing maybe an ARI to help separate the teams.

Summary: I liked how you pivoted away from adrenaline tasks, instead focusing on the cultures of New Zealand (which are fascinating). My main complaint was that the leg could have used another task. That being said, there was plenty of good material in the leg and it was solid work overall.
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #1149 on: October 22, 2020, 08:10:33 AM »
Really need 24 hours extension to post my last comments and scores. So sorry for the delay. Life has been bad.