Author Topic: RFF TAR 17 pick-em game  (Read 55623 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: RFF TAR 17 pick-em game
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2010, 10:21:53 PM »
OK I will need some input on this weeks answers.  Yikes.
Questions that I am not solid on are in bold.

10 Points – Which racer states the title, “I Want To Be In The Circus, That's Where I Belong”?
Brook & Claire

5 Points –Are all teams fully equalized during the start of this leg?
Yes. at the locked gate to the circus

5 Points – Is there an Hours of Operation seen during this leg?
Yes, closed sign and later opened gate at circus

5 Points – Do teams need (are instructed by clue) to take a bus during this leg?
No, Lord I can't believe I fell for this.

5 Points – Does this leg have a general task (not counting travelling)?
Yes
No

Most of the general task is walking or climbing, but part of it is the puzzle matching the miniature to the next location and as so many teams (read all of them) had trouble with it.  I am leaning yes, 1 bonus point if you convince me that I am wrong.

10 Points – Which comes first?
Hours of Operation Notice
Point of Equalization

Both are in fact the same.  The closed sign, is the equalization point.

10 Points – How many teams switch detour tasks?
2, Jill & THomas (really Thomas' main weakness is not sticking with a task)
& Chad & Stephanie

10 Points – What position are Michael & Kevin when they start their roadblock??
2nd

10 Points – How many teams complete the Roadblock while Michael & Kevin are performing the Roadblock?
5, Nat & Kat , Brook & Claire, Nick & Vicki, Jill & Thomas and Gary & Mallory

5 Points – Does Nick lie to Michael & Kevin?
Yes, by including the words "Take your chances" and "That's all I could find up there", Nick lies.  Now if he would have just said I saw a sign that said DS 13 then he would have mislead but not technically lied.

10 Points – Which team gains the most positions from the start of the “circus” task to the end of that task?

We don't get footage clearly showing when teams get their clue, or when the decide which task, or even put their noses on.  I either award points to everyone, or depend on the partial data given by order of opening clues, and mixing it the partial footage of teams deciding which task.

If I go with mixing the partial footage its Nick & Vicki (which shows them deciding last, and they finish third).  I am leaning with awarded points to all answers as the footage truly doesn't provide a clear answer.  If you can convince me differently 1 bonus point.

5 Points – Does any racer mention the word Bozo?
No

10 Points – How many women on the female/male teams perform the Roadblock?
1, and that would be Stephanie as Nick, Thomas and Gary are the other M/F teams racers who perform the RB.

10 Points – Which team is first to complete the Roadblock?
Nat & Kat

5 Points – Which team don't make a critical error and misread a clue (they're will be multiple correct answers)?
Jill & Thomas
Nat & Kat
Gary & Mallory
Nick & Vicki

Any of these are correct as the others all misread the clue (even if Brook and Claire do correct their error they still made the initial mistake.

5 Points – Do any of the teams that finish the leg in positions 1-3 make that error?
Yes, Brook & Claire

10 Points – Which team is next to last to start the “circus” task?

I say free points to everyone.  Chad & Stephanie are the 2nd to last team shown making a choice, but we only see a few actually make their choice and since they already have noses on (part of the task), we have no real idea.  Free Points to anyone who convinces me not to give everyone points.

10 Points – Which team is first to complete the “circus task”?
Brook & Claire

10 Points – Which teams gain the most positions from the start of the leg to when they officially are checked in by Phil?
Nick & Vicki, going from last to third.

10 Points – Which teams loses the most positions from the start of leg to when they officially are checked in by Phil?
More then one team, both Jill & Thomas and Michael & Kevin lose 4 positions this week.

5 Points – Are any two teams on the Mat with Phil at the same time?
Yes, we even see their feet its Brook & Claire and Nick & Vicki

10 Points – Which team is eliminated this week?
Michael & Kevin, the previews nailed the eliminated team, that doesn't happen often

10 Points – Which team (that isn't eliminated) is not featured in the preview for next week (only needs show one person from a team)
Nat & Kat
Chad & Stephanie
Nick & Vicki, I dont see these three teams

5 Points – Is the first team to get the clue to make their way to the Pit Stop, the team that is officially number 1?
yes

5 Points – Does any team receive a penalty this week (no the Speedbump doesn’t count)?
Yes, and its about time

5 Points - Do Nat & Kat finish the leg in third or better position?
Yes

5 Free Points – Season 18 is expected to feature returning racers out of last seasons which team would you want to see back the most?
Dan & Jordan
Jet & Cord
Brent & Caite
Louie & Michael
Carol & Brandy
Steve & Allie
Jordan & Jeff
Joe & Heidi
Monique & Shawne
Jody & Shannon
Dana & Adrian

5 Free Points – Out of season 15?
Meghan & Cheyne
Sam & Dan
Brian & Ericka
Flight Time & Big Easy
Gary & Matt
Maria & Tiffany
Mika & Canaan
Lance & Keri
Zev & Justin
Marcy & Ron
Garrett & Jessica
Eric & Lisa

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #151 on: November 10, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
Oh and the game is scored (but not accurately as I was missing around to see if it would take answers with pluses and minuses.

Accurate scores will be posted tomorrow.  As will this week's questions.

Offline MamaT

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2010, 11:21:20 PM »
Yes
No

Most of the general task is walking or climbing, but part of it is the puzzle matching the miniature to the next location and as so many teams (read all of them) had trouble with it.  I am leaning yes, 1 bonus point if you convince me that I am wrong

OK, I'll give it a shot....
There was no general task, because the teams  didnt have to do anything.  Walking to a clue box is not a task.  The miniature was a clue.  Figuring out a clue is not a task, even if teams did have trouble with it.  (Remember  the good old days when solving clues was an integral and regular part of the game?)

Convinced?

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #153 on: November 10, 2010, 11:21:27 PM »
Yes
No
As much as it pains me to say it, teams DID search for the next location using binoculars. They were never directed to go to the Church Over Spilled Blood, therefore it is a general task.

10 Points – Which team gains the most positions from the start of the “circus” task to the end of that task?

We don't get footage clearly showing when teams get their clue, or when the decide which task, or even put their noses on.  I either award points to everyone, or depend on the partial data given by order of opening clues, and mixing it the partial footage of teams deciding which task.

If I go with mixing the partial footage its Nick & Vicki (which shows them deciding last, and they finish third).  I am leaning with awarded points to all answers as the footage truly doesn't provide a clear answer.  If you can convince me differently 1 bonus point.

For this, I have a very long winded answer, enjoy. And I also reference this screenshot repeatedly.

Firstly, we know that Nick and Vicki were definitely last in arriving at the circus. In the cap of the scramble for the cluebox, they are the only team not seen, meaning they are either off to the left, or to the right. Keeping in mind that the cluebox sits behind Michael and Kev, and that teams approached from the right, I think it is safe to assume that Nick and Vicki are off screen to the right, behind Gary. This would make them last in arriving to the Detour start point.

Secondly, since we know Nick and Vicki finished third, we know that they gained 4 spots. This means that any team that finished 4th or below could not have gained 4 or more spots.

That leaves us with Brooke and Claire, who finish the task first, and Nat and Kat who finish second.

Not only do we see Brooke and Claire open the clue third, but as per the shown cap they are clearly the closest team to the cluebox when Mike and Kev are opening their clue (2nd) From this we can conclude that Brooke and Claire open 3rd and finish first, a gain of 2 spots.

More difficult is Nat and Kat. One of the two is directly behind Brooke and Claire (Partially obscured by Mike) and the other is behind Mike's right shoulder. From these, we can assume they are in front of Chad and Stephanie, shown behind them, and clearly they are in front of Gary. This places Nat and Kat at either 4th or 5th going into the circus task.

Even if we take Nat and Kat at 5th, they still only gain 3 spots by finishing 2nd.

So- in summary.

Nick and Vicki- 7th->3rd (4 spots)
Nat and Kat- 4th/5th->2nd (2/3 spots)
Brooke and Claire- 3rd->1st (2 spots)

Even Gary and Mallory could not have made up more than 2 spots if they went from 6th (In front of only Nick and Vicki, which I suspect is what happened) to 4th.

Offline MamaT

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2010, 11:27:36 PM »

:lol3:  exactly 7 seconds after I posted what I felt was the obvious answer, Coutzy posts the opposite and is equally convinced.    Now I understand why your job is so hard, mswood    :lol3:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2010, 11:29:52 PM »

:lol3:  exactly 7 seconds after I posted what I felt was the obvious answer, Coutzy posts the opposite and is equally convinced.    Now I understand why your job is so hard, mswood    :lol3:

Teams were instructed to search for their next location. In season 1 it was enough to constitute a Roadblock, so by that precedent it must be a task.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2010, 11:33:17 PM »

I say free points to everyone.  Chad & Stephanie are the 2nd to last team shown making a choice, but we only see a few actually make their choice and since they already have noses on (part of the task), we have no real idea.  Free Points to anyone who convinces me not to give everyone points.

See: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,23386.msg572072.html#msg572072 in which I explain why I believe Gary and Mallory to be 2nd last to the Detour, in front of only Nick and Vicki.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #157 on: November 11, 2010, 12:16:07 AM »

See: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,23386.msg572072.html#msg572072 in which I explain why I believe Gary and Mallory to be 2nd last to the Detour, in front of only Nick and Vicki.
But you are forgetting a very serious aspect.  Getting a clue doesn't equal starting a task.  Teams have to get the clue, we can have a reasoned guess about this order, but that doesn't even mean that those teams read the clue in the same speed, or made their choice of task in the same order as getting their clue.  Or even getting their noses, as this appeared to be the actual start point of the tasks at the circus because everyone had their noses before getting to either side of the detour.

Those are the primary reasons that I think I have to give free points.  THe best we can do is guess about getting the clue, not the task itself.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2010, 01:26:04 AM »

But you are forgetting a very serious aspect.  Getting a clue doesn't equal starting a task.  Teams have to get the clue, we can have a reasoned guess about this order, but that doesn't even mean that those teams read the clue in the same speed, or made their choice of task in the same order as getting their clue.  Or even getting their noses, as this appeared to be the actual start point of the tasks at the circus because everyone had their noses before getting to either side of the detour.

Those are the primary reasons that I think I have to give free points.  THe best we can do is guess about getting the clue, not the task itself.

That may be, but in similar situations, they would include the "Currently in..." subtitles, which I think would be used as the point of reference in this case, if they were included.

Also, if we cast our mind back to TAR 15, where a different problem cropped up, but I am using it to get the 10 damn points that I desperately need to claw back towards the top 10 as precedent.

10 Points - Which team loses the most placings completing the Detour?

Sam & Dan (Used From start of Detour and using the same Criteria of last week of when they get to a point where they need to don equipment or change for a task), fairest I could be.  Sam & Dan drop one position due to the sudden loss of blood from their brains to their downstair brains.

Since the circus was literally meters away, wouldn't the Detour start point be the moment they reached the cluebox? The fact that they had to wear red noses could also constitue "donning equipment" for a task. Given that they were supposed to put the noses on immediately, I would consider the moment they open the clue to be the Detour start point.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2010, 08:51:58 AM »
I think climbing up to the tower and looking for the next location (with a tricky miniature building at the back which they have to figure out is the figurine which is their clue to the next location) is considered as a general task. Just my two cents worth.

And i definitely believe Nick and Vicki gained the most positions. They're last at the Detour and finished third. If you're watching the episode, you'll be extremely shocked at how fast they're at the Detour.

Offline kwando1313

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2010, 01:24:44 PM »

5 Points –Are all teams fully equalized during the start of this leg?
Yes. at the locked gate to the circus

I thought that teams trickled in after it opened?

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2010, 08:14:23 PM »
Kwando.  We know that Kevin and is third in line, we know that Kevin & Michael are the 2nd team to get and two open a clue.  We know the clue box is very close to the gate.  And while Kevin is ripping his clue open, we can see a person from every team (well except Jill & thomas who were ahead of Michael & Kevin).  Thus all teams had to be at that gate before it opened.

Thus all were fully equalized.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #162 on: November 11, 2010, 08:24:23 PM »
Coutzy

I just freeze framed the sequence that shows teh picture you attached.

Clearly the first three racers at the gate, are Thomas, Jill and Kevin.  Next scene Thomas is pulling out a clue, as Jill runs up to the clue box with Kevin right next to here.

Next scene Thomas and Jill opening Clue.

Next scene (which includes the frame posted above) is Kevin (with Michael behind him opening his clue, the clue box is behind them and it appears that Brook & Claire are grabbing their clue at this point.  We can also see that a line is basically formed.  With Nat & Kat, then Chad & Stephanie and then we see running up Gary (we see a small fraction of Mallory's arm she is up camera from Gary slightly).  But you do see Nick running up  (at about the time you see a sliver of Mallory's arm) and he is not in the same basic line formed by others.  He appears to be going directly to the clue box, and by the time the scene changes again he is now past Gary & Mallory and Chad & Stephanie.

Now in previous seasons, it can be a free for all, in others teams ahve been very respectful and gone in order.  We have no way of knowing.  But based on the formed line idea (take one in turn) it would appear that Nick & Vicki would be last, but based on screw the line who ever gets their hand in the clue box is the order we go in, Nick & Vicki could easily be before Nat & Kat (the clip doesn't go long enough to let us see we actually gets to the cluebox first.

But there are two many examples of teams pushing their way to get a clue, for me to even consider this reference.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #163 on: November 11, 2010, 08:33:18 PM »
Coutzy

I knew I had clarified, the detour issue before as when that tasks starts be it the walk from a car by the location or when they actually start doing something specific to the task (in many cases putting on safety equipment or costumes).  I decided that doing something specific to the task would mark the start, and since we see teams in that same basic area with their noses, I assume one of the clowns handed out noses around the time they got the clue.  Though we don't have an specific picture to point out exactly where they got their noses.

But that same basic rule applies.  In the above post I explain why I can't use getting the clue.  And the criteria above their is no specific footage to clarify racing order.

Its a wash.  Free points for everyone.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #164 on: November 12, 2010, 10:43:59 PM »
Boy am I way the hell behind.

This week's very late questions.

TAR 17 Week 8 Ends Nov 14th @ 7:55pm EST

10 Points – Which team states the Title, “Ali Baba in a suit”?
Nat & Kat
Brook & Claire
Nick & Vicki
Gary & Mallory
Jill & Thomas
Chad & Stephanie
Someone or something else

10 Points – Do Chad & Stephanie wale up before their Pit Stop departure Time?
Yes
No
Not Shown or Mentioned

10 Points – Do Chad & Stephanie make the first departure flight with all the other teams?
Yes
No
Not Shown or Mentioned

10 Points – Does any of the females drive that have a male racing partner?
Yes
No
We dont see footage of all four teams driving

10 Points – Do all teams arrive in Oman on the same flight?
Yes
No
Not Shown or Mentioned

15 – Which racer is the first shown with a clue after arriving in Oman?
Nat
Kat
Brook
Claire
Nick
Vicki
Gary
Mallory
Jill
Thomas
Chad
Stephanie

10 Points – Which comes first?
Roadblock
Detour
Chad Proposing

5 Points – Does she say yes?
Yes
No

5 Points – Are they currently in last place (or the last to arrive at that location)?
Yes
No

5 Points – Which all female team completes the detour first?
Nat & Kat
Brook & Claire
There is no Detour

10 Points – Which female/male team completes the detour first?
Nick & Vicki
Gary & Mallory
Jill & Thomas
Chad & Stephanie
There is no Detour

5 Points – Do any teams switch detour tasks?
Yes
No
There is no Detour

5 Points – Which all female team completes the roadblock first?
Nat & Kat
Brook & Claire
There is no Roadblock

10 Points - Which female/male team completes the roadblock first?
Nick & Vicki
Gary & Mallory
Jill & Thomas
Chad & Stephanie
There is no Roadblock

5 Points – Is the team that completes the detour first the same team that completes the Roadblock first?
Yes
No
Both tasks dont occur in this episode

15 points – Which racer is the first to complete the roadblock?
Nat
Kat
Brook
Claire
Nick
Vicki
Gary
Mallory
Jill
Thomas
Chad
Stephanie
There is no Roadblock

5 Points - Is the team that completes the detour first an all female team or a female/male team?
All female team
Female/ male team

5 Points - Is the team that completes the Roadblock first an all female team, or a female/male team?
All Female team
Female/ Male team

10 Points – The Bedouin’s tent is part of?
A general task
A Roadblock
A Detour
A Fast Forward

5 Points – Who performs the Roadblock?
Brook
Claire

5 Points – Is navigation (ie getting lost, getting bad directions, unable to find correct location) the reason for Mallory praying?
Yes
No

5 Points – Do any racing teams experience car problems (navigation doesn’t count)?
Yes
No

10 Points – What is the best placing awarded to Gary & Mallory in this episode?

10 Points - What is the worst placing awarded to Nat & Kat during this leg?

10 Points – What teams arrives in at the mat first?
Nat & Kat
Brook & Claire
Nick & Vicki
Gary & Mallory
Jill & Thomas
Chad & Stephanie

10 Points – Which team is last to arrive at the Pit Stop?
Nat & Kat
Brook & Claire
Nick & Vicki
Gary & Mallory
Jill & Thomas
Chad & Stephanie

5 Points – Is that team, the team that gets eliminated?
Yes
No
No one is eliminated

5 Free Points – We are now down to season 14 who would you like to see back the most?
Tammy & Victor
Jaime & Cara
Margie & Luke
Kisha & Jen
Mark & Michael
Mel & Mike
Christie & Jodi
Amanda & Kris
Brad & Victoria
Steve & Linda
Preston & Jennifer

5 Free Points – And from season 13?
Nick & Starr
Ken & Tina
Andrew & Dan
Toni & Dallas
Terence & Sarah
Kelly & Christy
Aja & Ty
Marissa & Brooke
Mark & Bill
Anthony & Stephanie
Anita & Arthur

Good luck.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #165 on: November 12, 2010, 10:47:04 PM »
 :wohoo:

Results from last week.... :winner

1.   MugCostanza   :cheer:

2.   Coutzy  (damn pretty good job there).

3.   Caelestor

4.   peach

5.   wonderfalls1

6.   serendipity

7.   Zacz

8.   ovalorange

9.   mswood

10.   walkingpneumonia

11.   gator27

12.   joab

13.   kwando1313

14.   MamaT

15.   NotMe

16.   Sandra1991

17.   PeeT_Pm52

18.   Cheryl4255

19.   north09

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #166 on: November 12, 2010, 10:50:36 PM »
And lets raise a glass to the overall leader of this season's game.

:margarita:

1.   peach

2.   mswood

3.   ovalorange

4.   MamaT

5.   serendipity

6.   walkingpneumonia
650 +1 for being a nag= 651

7.   MugCostanza

8.   NotMe

9.   Caelestor

10.   north09

11.   joab

12.   PeeT_Pm52

13.   Coutzy

14.   gator27

15.   Zacz

16.   kwando1313

17.   Sandra1991

18.   wonderfalls1

19.   Cheryl4255

20.   jerseydude

21.   uycocoa

22.   Snooky

23.   Hooky

24.   truenorth

25.   germyloo

26.   Wabbit

and how I am going to feel in a  couple hours... 

:hosed

See everyone on Sunday.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #167 on: November 12, 2010, 11:05:25 PM »

Shouldn't the answers to these go from 1 through to 6?

What if (very unlikely) Nat and Kat never relinquish the lead, for example?

Also- Do these questions include the "Xth to depart" subtitles?

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #168 on: November 13, 2010, 01:23:15 AM »
Ouch.. this week sucks for me. But i'm happy! Because that means Gary and Mallory survived the leg!!! :hearts:

Offline MamaT

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #169 on: November 13, 2010, 04:04:03 PM »
Ugh, I had a terrible week.....

mswood, I hate to be a nag, but  you gave walkingpneumonia my nagging point.   (that point could make all the difference at the end!)
Can I have it back please?

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #170 on: November 13, 2010, 10:13:14 PM »
WOW! I can't believe I won this week! :) Couldn't have come at a better time, too. I had a couple of really crappy weeks back there.

Regarding the question of who is shown holding the first clue in Oman, is it the first person holding the first new clue they get in Oman, or does the clue they receive at the Pit Start in Russia count? (Like, let's say the clue tells them to fly to Oman and then drive somewhere once they get there, and then they show a racer holding THAT clue in the car in Oman.)
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #171 on: November 14, 2010, 10:07:36 AM »

mswood, I hate to be a nag, but  you gave walkingpneumonia my nagging point.   (that point could make all the difference at the end!)
Ya - I haven't nagged in a while? Can I have a no-nagging pity point?
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #172 on: November 14, 2010, 01:10:09 PM »

Ya - I haven't nagged in a while? Can I have a no-nagging pity point?
One a nagger always a nagger.

Shouldn't the answers to these go from 1 through to 6?

What if (very unlikely) Nat and Kat never relinquish the lead, for example?

Also- Do these questions include the "Xth to depart" subtitles?
I my I crewed that one hope yes their Xth to depart counts., and Opps I should have included a 1st for Nat & Kat, oh well, I hope at one point they do worse...

And yeah since their departing type will count (which is fourth) Gary & Mallory should do no worse.  Unless they miss their departure spot.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #173 on: November 14, 2010, 01:11:36 PM »

Opps, I will correct.  and as last year first person who corrects a mistake I made in scoring also counts as a bonus point.  So that should be two for you.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2010, 02:08:05 PM »
Any clarification on my question, please, mswood? :)
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"