Author Topic: Top Chef New York Season 5  (Read 102995 times)

Offline scuzneck

• RFF Full Member
Re: Top Chef New York Season 5
« Reply #250 on: January 30, 2009, 08:18:17 AM »
Hi scuzneck!  :waves: I think part of it is the edit to have someone be the villain so to speak because this year everyone seems to be on better terms. Hosea wants Stefan gone so he has a chance to get to the finals. (I'll give him this, I would be hoping for the same thing.) In other seasons it seemed like real hate going on, think of Marcel. They ganged up on him and tried to shave his head.  :ascared

I do agree with you that Jeff needed to go. I also agree that Jamie has an excellent chance to be in the final elimination. I think it will be Stefan, Fabio, Jamie and possibly Carla final four. Not sure that Hosea can make it that far. The women are stepping up their game at the right time. 

How much of Stefan's attitude do you think comes from his upbringing? I believe he is the oldest chef on the show and grew up in Germany.
[/quote]

I think that Stefan definately knows he can cook and I firmly believes that he believes he is the best chef on the show. He may prove to be right when all is said and done. As far as his upbringing and being bred in Germany affecting his attitude, Iit probably has some effect but, as we havbe seen in previous season, Us Americans can bring the bravado too. (Incidentally, he is the 3rd oldest chef this season...Carla then Arianne then Stefan).

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #251 on: January 30, 2009, 03:02:10 PM »
An interview with Jeff:

Was the Top Chef's Super Bowl Showdown Elimination an Upset?

It was a battle of the ceviches for this week's axed cheftestant, Jeff McInnis, during Top Chef's Super Bowl Showdown. But should he have been the one who left? TVGuide.com caught up with the Miami chef to find out who he thought should have gone home in his place and why he thought his all-star competitor basically made shrimp nachos — not ceviche.

TVGuide.com: What did you think of the judges' comments about your dish?
Jeff McInnis: I never got any direct critique except that it was a watered-down version, which I don't know what that means because I never used any water. I never got "Make it hotter or colder, saltier or sweeter," so I don't know what I could have done to change it. It was a good dish, and I stand by it. I actually have the exact dish on my menu and people love it. I sold 10 of them today. But if I could go back, I would have done something totally different.

TVGuide.com: Do you think Fabio should have gone home over you?
Jeff: Sure. He blasted a piece of meat. That's something a chef can put their finger on and say, "This is overcooked — I meant to do it medium-rare and I did it well-done." He committed a sin. In the Bible, it says you don't do this. Whereas I committed a sin and it says it's not law, but something the judiciary system has to judge over.

TVGuide.com: How did you feel about your competitor Josie's ceviche dish?
Jeff: Ceviche is a chilled seafood dish where the seafood is cooked in a citrus. I've never seen it with black beans like that. The dish was hot and had these plantain chips. It like you're were in Mexico having shrimp nachos. I think if she were to have thrown some cheddar cheese on it and called it that, the outcome would have been the same.

TVGuide.com: Why did you always feel the need to make your dishes so complex?
Jeff: I've never taken the simple road. I make all my own stuff — it's just the way I do it. This is Top Chef, it's not where you go to the cupboard and scoop something out and plate it. That's just not me. Even if I wasn't on the show, I just don't do that. In my kitchen, we don't have a lot of canned ingredients. Like for shrimp cocktail — no one really makes their cocktail sauce from scratch, they use canned chili paste. I take six different chilies and roast them from scratch. It's just what I've always done.

TVGuide.com: Seems as though the judges don't seem to take that into account.
Jeff: I guess not. The judges aren't in there the whole time and that's one thing I do regret. It's all about the final product. It's like the ice cream scooped from a container tastes really good against that homemade one that tastes pretty good. But you know what, I don't think I could bow down and change. Just because there's a can opener and can there, I think I'd wind up making it from scratch anyways.

TVGuide.com: Any big plans for the Super Bowl?
Jeff: Just cooking at my restaurant, DiLido Beach Club. We'll probably will have a big-screen TV there and have the wings, beer, ribs, burgers — but our ribs will are Moroccan BBQ with a little spice to them, and the wings are going to have a little apricot glaze. We're going to put our own Mediterranean twist on them.

Link: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Chefs-Super-Bowl-1002294.aspx

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #252 on: January 30, 2009, 06:56:43 PM »
I think that Stefan definately knows he can cook and I firmly believes that he believes he is the best chef on the show. He may prove to be right when all is said and done. As far as his upbringing and being bred in Germany affecting his attitude, Iit probably has some effect but, as we havbe seen in previous season, Us Americans can bring the bravado too. (Incidentally, he is the 3rd oldest chef this season...Carla then Arianne then Stefan).

Thanks for the info on Stefan's age. I didn't realize Carla was older than him. She's 44, Arianne is 41. True that, Americans can up the bravado too.   :lol:

I can't wait to see what happens next week, we're getting down to the finals now.  :jumpy:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #253 on: January 30, 2009, 09:40:18 PM »
An interesting article:

Top Chef's Padma cooks up jewelry line

Padma Lakshmi, model, actress and host of the Bravo cooking contest show "Top Chef," is adding one more ingredient to her resume: jewelry designer.

Following in the footsteps of supermodel and Project Runway host Heidi Klum, Lakshmi's "Padma" line, consisting of delicate gold necklaces, cuffs, earrings, rings and bangle bracelets, is set to hit Bergdorf Goodman stores in May, according to the line's official Web site, PadmaLakshmi.com.

Women's Wear Daily (WWD) reports that the 10- and 14-karat gold pieces are priced between $375-$6,600, and that the Indian-born Lakshmi said cooking ingredients, combined with a dash of her Indian heritage, inspired the look of the line. Pieces include delicate arm cuffs with citrine briolettes, four-row gold cuffs with charms and dangling gold earrings that mimic a sight that is common in any kitchen--fish bones.

Other pieces in the collection include a calla lily charm ring and a hand-piece with a ring attached to the chain bracelet.

The Padma line also includes a sub-collection called "Nav," a line based on the ancient Hindu philosophy of balancing a person's life force, known as parna or chi. Nav incorporates the nine essential stones needed to achieve this balance, including sapphires, diamonds and pearls, into the collection, which includes colored-gemstone bangles and dainty drop earrings featuring all nine navaratna stones.

Link to the article: http://www.nationaljewelernetwork.com/njn/content_display/more-news/e3ic91a89e95431f4d5488de37eaa1f10a3?imw=Y

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #254 on: January 31, 2009, 12:15:59 AM »

Top Chef New York

Episode 11:  LE BERNARDIN

02-04-2009

The chef'testants get the opportunity to cook in one of the best restaurants in the world, three star Michelin winner Le Bernardin. Their final product will be judged by renowned chef, Eric Ripert.

Top Chef New York

Episode 12:  THE LAST SUPPER

02-11-2009

It's time for the knife off. The final five chef'testants learn who will be cooking the last supper on "Top Chef: New York." It's their last chance to impress the judges before the finale and things get heated as the chef'testants pull out all the stops to avoid being cut.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #255 on: January 31, 2009, 09:55:14 AM »
Top Chef 5, episode 10

This episode starts with a more mundane product placement in association with Quaker Oats. The Guest Judge for the whole episode is Scott Conant of Scarpetta Restaurant. The chefs have to pick a position on a board which will determine the one of 7 food groups which they will work with. Then on the top of that column, wherever it is, is a "secret ingredient" that has to be used along with the food group. This could lead to some varied results for sure, but the catch is that all of the secret ingredients are Quaker Oats oatmeal. Now most of the contestants are pretty blah about that, but Carla states that she eats Quaker Oatmeal 4 times a week. The dishes concocted in 45 minutes are:

Jaime(Fruits) - coconut oat-crusted shrimp, nectarine salsa, avocado crème fraiche
Fabio(Vegetables) - rolled fried eggplant crusted w/ oats, corn and parmesan salad
Stefan(Dairy) - banana mousse with almond petit fours
Carla(Nuts) - pecan and oat-crusted tofu w/ oatmeal and lentil salad
Jeff(Poultry) - oat-crusted chicken paillard w/grits and fried zucchini
Hosea(Meats) -   wiener schnitzel w/ oat crust, warm potato salad and mustard sauce
Leah(Seafood) - oat crusted branzino and mussels w/ escarole and bacon

The losers group was Leah, Jeff and Fabio. Leah's fish was overcooked (opposite of last episode) and clashed with the bacon flavor being too strong, Jeff had too many brown colors, and Fabio too much oat taste due to method of encrusting. The winners group was Carla, Jaime and Stefan. Stefan is the designated Winner and his reward is to pick the opponent and city for the Top Chef Bowl.

Top Chef Bowl
The elimination challenge has been renamed this week in honor of the Super Bowl. It is a cookoff between the Top Chef All-Stars, with that group including nobody who had finished 1, 2 or 3 in the past 4 years and obviously trying to showcase some chefs who have received less publicity since they "graduated" from Top Chef. They are:
Spike (season 4)
Andrea (4)
Josie (2)
Andrew (1)
Camille (3)
Nikki (4)
Miguel (1)

The NFL cities whose key ingredients are supplied and whose cuisine is going to be attempted are Green Bay, Miami, Dallas, Seattle, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. That's an interesting range of regional cuisines. First is the pairing. Stefan gets to pick opponent, which is Andrea, and city, which is Dallas. The remaining chefs for each team have to huddle just like an NFL team and have 5 minutes to determine who gets which city. That results in these pairings:

New York Leah vs. Nikki
Miami Jeff vs. Josie
Green Bay Fabio vs. Spike
Seattle Hosea vs. Miguel
San Francisco Jaime vs. Camille
New Orleans Carla vs. Andrew
Dallas Stefan vs. Andrea

The scoring system was mostly logical(for a judges tie I would have split the touchdown points into half). There are 4 judges votes; if they split 3 to 1 or 4 to 0 that's scores a touchdown and 7 points for the winning chef. Then 5 secret fans in the gallery are asked for their votes, which determine which of the contestants get a field goal for 3 points. With a 2 to 2 judges vote, the fan vote will determine who gets all 10 points from both touchdown and field goal; that a bit nonsensical to have your closest competitions result in the widest point differential, but so be it.  I am going to guess that the judges are going to work to make sure neither team wins before the last opportunity (isn't this Hell's Kitchen and the way that is supposed to work?). Each pair gets the prior evening to prep and then 20 minutes to cook at the Institute for Culinary Education. Here are the dishes and actual scoring:

Leah - NY strip steak w/ creamed corn, snap peas and arugula salad
Nikki - chicken livers w/ onions and goat cheese on challah
Outcome - Leah wins the judges 3-1, Nikki the fans, scoring 7-3 for Season 5

Hosea - crispy salmon roll w/ ginger and blackberry sauce
Miguel - cedar plank salmon w/ noodles and mushrooms
Hosea wins the judges 3-1, plus fans as well, scoring 10-0 for season 5

Carla - crawfish and andouille gumbo over stone-ground grits
Andrew- crayfish crudo w/ spicy lime vinaigrette
Carla wins the judges 4-0 (take that and shut up, Andrew), Andrew salvages a field goal win as fan preference, scoring 7-3 for season 5

Stefan - roasted pork w/ coleslaw, NY steak with corn, pepper and pesto salad
Andrea - TexMex chili w/ crispy fried corn chips and guacamole coleslaw
The judges tie 2-2, so all 10 points from fan preference go to Andrea, scoring 10-0 for all-Stars (and note that Stefan asks Andrea to call him and this will be his first losers' group trip to losers' table and that Andrew has a wickedly funny impression of Stefan just after)

Jamie - crab cioppino w/ olives, basil and toasted sourdough
Camille - miso sweet potato mash w/ mustard crab meat and salad
The judges tie 2-2, all all 10 points from fan preference go to Jamie, scoring 10-0 for season 5

Jeff - rock shrimp ceviche w/ sangria sorbet
Josie - warm rock shrimp ceviche w/ papaya
The judges vote for Josie 3-1 and the fans prefer her dish too, scoring 10-0 for All-Stars
At this point there is one pair left and a 10-0 victory for Spike will win it for All-Stars; any other outcome means victory for Season 5

Fabio - venison in mustard sauce w/ mache salad and cheddar cheese
Spike - 5 spice venison w/ port reduction and micro herb salad
The judges vote 3-1 for Spike but the fans save Season 5 by voting for a Fabio field goal

Final score: Season 5 37, All-Stars 33, similar to real NFL scores. This putts Fabio, Jeff and Stefan on the bubble.

Winners group includes all 4 in Season 5 who won. Carla was told that Toby tasted the love this time and Tom loved the flavor and considered it smart to infuse reductions of the shells into the gumbo. Tom tells Hosea that he managed to take an egg roll and cook the salmon inside it to perfect medium rare. Scott says Jaime is meticulous, which pays off in her flavors. Leah was told she had a good simple dish (which I call damning with faint praise). Scott gets to declare the winner, who is Carla. She wins 2 tickets to the Super Bowl!

Next we come to the losers' group. My bet is that it will be Jeff because the producers are not going to allow the other 2 (who are both final 3 material) to be eliminated just yet. I actually think Fabio's dish was the worst by a small amount. Stefan had a good dish that was beat by a slightly better dish and he should not be in jeopardy here. Jeff is told that his dish did not have a ceviche flavor; Tom says it was watered down. Jeff argues that he did "19 things" more and he disliked paper plates, but he gets no sympathy. Tom says "he went down and he went down hard." Fabio is told by Tom he completely overcooked the venison. He claims that the meat when finished was not overcooked, but standing caused it to do so. Scott tells him that the greens were wilted and the cheese was questionable. Stefan was told that he did not have strong flavors. It is possible that the producers intervened to create this outcome although there is a 50% chance that that was the conclusion of the judges. Jeff is eliminated.

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #256 on: January 31, 2009, 11:57:24 AM »
TY  mg for the vid's and interviews. side note i live like 2 hrs from dc so i have friends who have eaten at spik's restrunt and love love it. it is not to costly to eat there and the food is awsome. i heard the hamburgers r the best in the city.
 :waves: also ty for the warm welcome u guys gave me the other day it was awsome to see today.. i guess i am so busy watching tv i have not posted for a few days..hhuumm any way i kinda liked jeff he was right about getting kicked off for that dish i no they keep ppl around for intertanment value some times and a few weeks i think they did that for him but this week they did it for fabio, jmo
a few weeks bk i though jeff was a gonner.. i think that was the week the mom left..i for got her name sry.. any way i found a realy good pod cast and they interview cj and spike and severl other cheftestants from past seasons they call it life after top chef. that is not the pod cast, i am not sure if i am allowed to mention another pod cast on this board if so let me no and i will post it. out of respect to rff love them rob and trevor, who introduced me to the best pod cast ever.....i now down load lots of them for the gym it is great..ok bk to top chef i loved the vid of padma playing the tamborin she was so not padma she look like she was haveing so much fun...she should have taken down that poney tail and let her freek flag fly lol.. it was great.. ty mg again
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #257 on: January 31, 2009, 03:47:47 PM »

TY  mg for the vid's and interviews. side note i live like 2 hrs from dc so i have friends who have eaten at spik's restrunt and love love it. it is not to costly to eat there and the food is awsome. i heard the hamburgers r the best in the city.

:hearts: Oh my gosh tory you have the best and amazing stories to tell thanks for sharing with us  :hugs:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #258 on: February 04, 2009, 09:40:08 AM »
Here is an article in today's Star-Ledger about Chef Ji of Hell's Kitchen 5, Ariane Duarte recently eliminated from Top Chef 5, and Cliff Crooks former Top Chef competitor:

Ariane Duarte Video and Article

Offline scuzneck

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #259 on: February 05, 2009, 11:35:12 AM »
Alrightie...What an episode...Very easily 4 of the cheftestants could have gone home...Fabio, Leah, Jamie and Hosea all produced bombs of dishes last night...Only Stefan (gawd!!!) and Carla (Yeah!!!) produced anything of quality...

Fabio was only in the Top 3 because they needed a Top 3...His dish was the best of the worst and he has to know that...He is too smart of a chef to not realize that...

Stefan and his eel proved to be his stepping stone for this challenge...Not only did the eel provided the Quickfire win, but also gave him choice of the easiest dish to recreate...Even I can bake a lobster and have it come out nice and clean and delicious...He took the easy way out, which may end up proving to be the winning way out...

Carla, once again, came out of left field and made a spectacular dish. I actually thought that she was going to win the elimination challenge. Her food was praised that highly...

In my opinion, the bottom three were very much deserving. And each of those three have no excuses for not paying attention at lunch. A 6-course lunch with two world-renowned chefs, eating with you, at one of their restaurants. Both of those chefs make comments about the dish throughout the meal. And you don't put 2 and 2 together and realize you are going to have to recreate the dish. All three schould be booted for that reason alone. Come on now. A 3 year old could have seen that coming.

Hosea. A seafood chef?!?! Remind me not to eat in his restaurant. Sorry, that's harsh, but if he cannot simply recreate a dish he got to eat, look at and have all ingrediants right there in front of him then something is horribly wrong. Even my untrained eye could see that the spice used was used liberally. When he started to coat the fish in it, I knew he was in major trouble. Hosea dodged a big bullet this episode. The question becomes Can he withstand the chopping block, like Stefan last week, and or will he tank like many of the chefs before him?

Leah, in my opinion, should have been gone this week. The quickfire challenged proved that. If it had been me, after fileting the sardine and thinking I had done horribly, only to be told that I, in fact, had done a splendid job, would have been ecstatic to the point of knocking out the next fish. Instead, Leah crapped out and QUIT. If I thought my sardine was bad, but wasn't, I would have filet the next fish until I was told to stop butchering it. Who knows she might have done an excellent job. But she will never know. And once again, fish proved to be her downfall. Now, I don't know miso from mayonaisse, let alone how to prepare it. But that's why I am here and she is there. She should have been able to figure out the composition of the miso and recreate it to near impeccable standards. Hell, she had all the ingredients and the chef's input. It was a shame that she couldn't even come close and a shame that she is staying. I had always liked Leah up until this point.

Lastly, Jamie. Pack your knives and leave. Jamie had grown on my the past few episodes. She became a chef that didn't think to highly of herself or her dishes and I liked that. I really hated to see her go. She knew what her limitations cooking and preperations were. Hence, her immediate knock out in the quickfire. No excuse. I don't filet sardines. The elimination challenge was hard for her. It is hard to have to recreate a dish that you didn't like in the first place. I have had to do this with recipes from family memebers that my wife and kids like. You try to add your flavor to the dish. I know Jamie wanted to do that. The only beef that the judges seemed to have was the saltiness of the celery. I believe her ultimate downfall was the fact that she served the celery knowing full well that the judges were going to rip her to shreds about it. Many times we have heard the judges say, if you are not happy with something, why serve it? Jamie fell into that realm last night and was thusly eliminated. Had she not served it and explained why may not have saved her either, but it may have been worth a shot.

Everything is shaping up to be a Fabio/Stefan/Carla finale...

I believe Leah is next to go...Her heart, for the competition, seems to have left when Hosea and she kissed.
Hosea better man up...He talks a big game against Stefan...but he needs to watch out for himself first...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:29:40 PM by scuzneck »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #260 on: February 05, 2009, 02:35:47 PM »
scuzneck, in general your remarks as OK but when you talk about Hosea I disagree:

Hosea. A seafood chef?!?! Remind me not to eat in his restaurant. Sorry, that's harsh, but if he cannot simply recreate a dish he got to eat, look at and have all ingrediants right there in front of him then something is horribly wrong. Even my untrained eye could see that the spice used was used liberally. When he started to coat the fish in it, I knew he was in major trouble. Hosea dodged a big bullet this episode. The question becomes Can he withstand the chopping block, like Stefan last week, and or will he tank like many of the chefs before him?

Recreating a dish is not exactly a trivial exercise and when the recipe to be deduced is from a world-class chef it is likely to be quite complicated. Second, Hosea was given low marks because of the texture of the sliced monkfish. He should have done a better job of planning ahead on timing so that the monkfish could sit for more than the 1.5 minutes he said was all he could do. Not being able to do that is the kind of mistake that a knowledgeable seafood chef should not make, but I say give him the benefit of the doubt. It's obvious that the judges were not considering him for elimination. He was the Best of the Worst.

I find you comments about Fabio's dish inappropriate. Who are you to second-guess the judging of the judging team? You aren't eating the food they eat to judge the dishes and the stated objectives of top chef judging are to use only today's food as the basis for decisions. If there were a personality component then I think commentary on personality etc. would be relevant in the final juding, but that is not the way it is. The quesiton of whether past food perfomrance shhould be used is open as far as I am concerned (I think they should use past peformance in some minor, such as for a tie-beraker.  Fabio did more than OK and he deserved to be in the Best group. There is never any requirement for an even split between the size of the two groups. In fact, I rarely see that. Fabio had to earn it to be there. If not there would have been 4 in the Worst category.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 10:55:20 AM by apskip »

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #261 on: February 05, 2009, 03:08:52 PM »
I believe you both are right in your assessments. I found this round particularly interesting, it reminded me of Hung's winning dish when they went to the French Culinary Institute in New York. However this seemed like an even harder challenge because they each had to create exactly a dish from Eric Ripert.

What do you both think of the degree of difficulty here? It seemed to me that this is one of the strongest groups that Top Chef has ever had and this was a way of weeding out the weakest of the lot. I was not surprised to see Leah, Jamie and Hosea in the bottom three and I thought any one of them could have been the one sent home.

One other thing that hit me last night, I think this has been the best season yet for the other chefs helping their fellow contestants. I remember that no one would help Marcel when he needed it and yet this season they have jumped in to bail out a fellow competitor.  :tup: 

Oh, I do agree with you both about Hosea, I would NOT want to eat at his restaurant. If he is a sea food expert, he should have planned his time to let the monk fish rest. That seemed like a bad mistake on his part.

Offline scuzneck

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #262 on: February 05, 2009, 03:12:42 PM »
apskip, I will agree with your assessment of Hosea. Even my wife commented on the fact that they are under extreme time constraints and therefore have to rush plates to service. (I believe even Carla commented upon the fact that without help from her fellow chefs, her dishes would not have made it out there). But even with that, he should know better. Letting the monkfish rest for even two or three more minutes would have been better. And he admitted that he did know that. And, I realize that recreating a 5 star chef's high quality extraordinary dish is no easy feat, but it can be done. He over spiced the fish. I still contend that anyone could have seen that the spice was not the signiture part of the meal.

As far as Fabio, I still think he was the "best of the worst". I will have to review the tape, but most of the judge's comments at the restaurant seemed to be of a negative nature. They simply did not like the dish, initially. As more dishes came, I believe they appreciated Fabio's meal more. They were able to see that his dish was not the worst thing they put in their mouth that evening. Therefore he was rewarded with a top 3 finish. Why? Because his was third best or fourth worst. "Best of the worst" may be too strong. Three categories of food last night...1st Rate (Stefan and Carla)...Atrocious (Leah, Hosea, Jamie) and Average (Fabio)...

Fabio can do much better than what he ran out there last night...

(Disclaimer: I belittle the chefs because I am jealous of their talent and dedication. There is little to zero chance of me being able to recreate any of their dishes in the time they are given. I would love to be able to cook as well as they do, but I'll just stay in my little kitchen and make pleasing meals for my family. Let these big dogs cook up a storm. I enjoy watching {and criticing} them every week.)

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #263 on: February 05, 2009, 04:35:46 PM »
Posted by: scuzneck "Everything is shaping up to be a Fabio/Stefan/Carla finale..."

I so agree with this. I'm wondering why all the eliminated chefs are holed up in an adjacent apartment. Do the producers have plans for them? I know they bring back the eliminated chefs as helpers but all of them staying in New York? That seems odd to me.  :duno:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #264 on: February 06, 2009, 10:49:56 AM »
Well, there are two good reasons and one OK one that I can think of for keeping the eliminated chefs around. The first is that they need to be sequestered somewhere until the show is over. That is standard practice for reality shows. Why not next door? The second reason is that they often show up on-screen as diners or whatever might be needed. Third, there are probably miscellaneous tasks in the Top Chef kitchen area that they can do.

Offline scuzneck

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #265 on: February 06, 2009, 01:54:42 PM »
I think apskip hit it right on the head. The competitors stayed in New York because of the "sequester rule". If you go home two days after leaving for the program, people are going to know immediatley and the RFF detectives will have it posted within minutes of your arrival back home.  ;D  :wohoo:  :hearts:

Plus, as apskip pointed out, I am sure they are in the audience at the restaurants being served as well as helping to prep and clean the Top Chef kitchen afterwards.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #266 on: February 06, 2009, 02:26:19 PM »
I think apskip hit it right on the head. The competitors stayed in New York because of the "sequester rule". If you go home two days after leaving for the program, people are going to know immediatley and the RFF detectives will have it posted within minutes of your arrival back home.  ;D  :wohoo:  :hearts:

Plus, as apskip pointed out, I am sure they are in the audience at the restaurants being served as well as helping to prep and clean the Top Chef kitchen afterwards.

You guys are right... I'm a dunce.  :lol:   (Not sure if I got eliminated I'd want to be cleaning the kitchen though.)  :snicker:

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #267 on: February 07, 2009, 01:51:54 AM »
An interview with Jamie:

Top Chef's Jamie: Toby Young Is Like Simon Cowell

After a Quickfire challenge that entailed hammering a nail through the head of a still-moving eel and a tricky dish recreation, a side of salty celery is the only thing that stood between cheftestant Jamie Lauren and the next round of Top Chef. We caught up with the San Francisco-based executive chef to find out what she thinks of Toby Young, what inspired her many tattoos and why buying tampons is a hassle these days.

TVGuide.com: What was it like getting kicked off for a dish that wasn't your own?
Jamie Lauren: The challenge was difficult. I thrive on the creativity of being a chef, so I had a hard time recreating someone's creative innovation. But the way I look at it is if I had to go home, I was happy that it was cooking someone else's dish badly and not my own food!

TVGuide.com: It sounded as though you weren't a fan of Chef Eric Ripert's food at Le Bernardin?
Jamie: No, that wasn't true. I liked the meal we had, but I didn't like the dish I got stuck with. I got the one that was sort of lame — and I wasn't the only one who felt that way. I would have rather done the one Hosea got because the flavors in that one are really cool and I work with them a lot, or the dish Fabio got.

TVGuide.com: How did you feel about the Quickfire fish-gutting extravaganza?
Jamie: I thought it was a cool concept. I wish I could have gone further in it, but I just could not fillet the goddamn sardines. [Laughs] It was hard to do in five minutes because your hands are shaking while you're trying to get these little bones out. I looked at Eric's fillets and they were gorgeous. And I looked at mine and was like: eh. Whatever. If you look at my track record from the show, I've cooked a lot of seafood. It's actually one of my favorite things to cook, but I've never filleted a sardine before. I serve them whole.

TVGuide.com: Toby, who wasn't a fan of your dish, seemed to be a bit vocal throughout this season. What did you think of him?
Jamie: I think Toby is the Simon Cowell of Top Chef; he's there for shock value. I think they wanted someone to get annoyed about and just say things to say things. He was always really cool to me, so I don't have anything bad to say about him. I just don't think I'd take what he says as much to heart as I would Gail.

TVGuide.com: From what we saw this season, it seemed as though Stefan had a little crush on you, no?
Jamie: Stefan and I were there to just support each other as chefs, and I think we have a lot of mutual respect for each other and the talents we have. In terms of it being a crush, maybe it is a little bit true. Though in all honesty, I think he just admires me as a chef and a person. And I feel the same way about him. But putting up with Stefan for the past couple episodes has made me a more patient person. He's great, but he's a pain in the a--. [Laughs]

TVGuide.com: Tell us about your tattoos. They're hard to make out on television.
Jamie: I have two sleeves. The full one is a sleeve of jellyfish. I was toying with the idea of doing an octopus or fish of some sort, but I went down to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and they had the most beautiful jellyfish exhibit. I knew right away that's what I wanted. The other is orchids and a lotus flower, which I really like. I just wanted them to be really bright and colorful.

TVGuide.com: Now that you're a reality star, how are you handling all this extra attention from strangers?
Jamie: It's interesting to not be anonymous anymore. It's definitely changed my life, for sure — not just with people coming in to meet me at the restaurant but everywhere. I live in the The Castro in San Francisco, which is the gay area, and I can't even go down the street without someone screaming out a car window at me. It's definitely great, but there are times I just want to go the drugstore. [Laughs] I feel awkward going into Walgreens and, like, buying a box of tampons, and people being like, "What is Jamie buying?!" [Laughs] But at the same time, I signed up for it by signing up to be on a reality show.

Link: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Top-Chef-Jamie-1002531.aspx

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #268 on: February 07, 2009, 02:17:48 AM »
An interview with Jamie:

Top Chef Exit Interview: Episode Eleven

Last night's episode of Top Chef brought a welcome dose of New York to the current season, with fancy cooking at Le Bernardin and the eel-skinning that inevitably happens whenever Eric Ripert is around. After a Quickfire full of fish-filleting, the cheftestants moved on to a six-course lunch with the Ripper, only to learn that their challenge would be to re-create his dishes from memory. Stefan got lucky with a lobster dish, Carla successfully poached escolar in oil, and Leah pouted and got things wrong. But in the end it was Jamie Lauren, the last remaining member of Team Rainbow, who was given the boot for making her celery too salty. We spoke with her earlier today about whether she really finds Ripert's food "uninspiring" and why she has nothing in common with Lisa from last season.

Were you shocked by the outcome of this challenge?
Not at all. I knew that I screwed up and I might be going home.

The decision came down to: Is it better to acknowledge your mistakes and know how to fix them, or to not even know your mistakes and not know how to fix them?
I haven’t even watched the show. I don’t know how it was edited. I was at work last night and I came home and didn’t really feel like watching it. I always own up to my mistakes and know what I did wrong. I don’t even really remember what Leah did or didn’t do, so I can’t really say.

So losing wasn’t a huge blow to you, it seems like.
I never went on the show with the intention of winning. I went on the show to prove to myself that I could actually do it.

You certainly did right by the Team Rainbow name. You were the last to survive, I guess. It’s interesting, every season, there’s a few gay contestants. Last season it was Lisa who made it the furthest.
Yeah. I have heard comparisons, but I don’t think we’re similar at all.

What have people said?
People have said that I’m just the grumpy, bitter lesbian who stands there with her arms folded. I don’t know if they just group all of us lesbians together. It was never about being the lesbian contestant. I’m very proud of who I am as a member of the queer community. But first and foremost I’m a chef. I’m a chef first and a lesbian second.

Of the bottom three, was yours was the worst dish?
I think mine had the worst offense. I think it being oversalted was the biggest problem. You couldn’t eat it; it was oversalted.

You realized the mistake, but it was at the point of no return.
It’s not like I had a chance to go back and braise more celery. I had to plate it, I didn’t have a choice. It was either not plate it or plate it. And either way I was kind of screwed.

One of the things you said in the show was that you found Eric Ripert’s food somewhat uninspiring. Would you say that in general or was it just in regard to the dish that you made?
Out of the dishes that we tasted, that was the most old-school and classic. It’s just not the food that I’m into. That’s what I meant when I said that I was uninspired by it. I am one of those chefs that thrives off of the creative process, so that’s why I had such a hard time with it.

Throughout the season you were sometimes criticized, jokingly or otherwise, for making a lot of scallops. Is that your favorite thing to cook?
No, not at all. The scallops just were there! They were in the kitchen, so somebody needed to use them.

Did Stefan really have a crush on you?
I know Stefan has a crush on me. He still has a crush on me.

What was the highlight of this experience for you — if you had to pick one thing, one dish, one moment?
I think overall the highlight for me was being able to showcase who I am and my talents on a regular basis to 3 million people a week. That’s a huge thing.

How would you compare San Francisco and New York as food towns?
They’re very different. People in San Francisco are into knowing where a product comes from; the whole farm-to-table thing is a really big deal here in the Bay Area. They consider themselves massive, massive foodies. They’ll be the first to remark on something if it’s not right or not local enough. In New York people are a little bit more laid-back.

Link: http://nymag.com/daily/food/2009/02/top_chef_exit_interview_episod_6.html

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #269 on: February 07, 2009, 12:17:14 PM »
An interview with Jamie:

Top Chef Exit Interview: Jamie Is Cut, And She’s Over All The Scallop Talk

Last night’s Top Chef had a few shockers - wriggling dead eels, anyone? - but the biggest doozy of the evening came when Jamie Lauren, the soup and scallop loving cheftestant was given the boot after a salty recreation of an Eric Ripert signature dish. To many, Jamie was expected to go all the way. She had what seemed to be the winning pairing of hot, judge-pleasing dishes, combined with a cool, and (mostly) calm attitude. In an interview today, the 30-year-old chef talked about leaving the show, her “relationship” with Stefan, why the “scallop thing” got out of control, and on a more personal note: what she plans to do with her girlfriend on Valentine’s Day.

You seemed like you had resigned yourself to the idea of getting kicked off last night. Were you ready to go?

I knew that I’d screwed up. I had a pretty good idea that I was going to be the one going home, and I was okay with it. I couldn’t go back and change anything, so I kind of had to accept my fate at that point. It’s not the end of the world, for me, at least. It was so long ago. It was six months ago, and I’m kind of over it at this point. I’ve had enough time to let it marinate. I’ve dealt with it. Being on the show itself was an amazing experience and I’m lucky that I have that. I can’t beat myself up over that. It was over celery. It’s just not a big deal.

You mentioned on After The Knife that it was also easier to deal with because you were cooking someone else’s food. Do you think if it had been your dish you would have had a different reaction during judging?

Absolutely. Had it been my own food, or my own intellectual property, my own creative intelligence, I would have been really pissed if I went home. It’s easier for me to stomach going home because I cooked someone else’s food that night.

Were there any moments that you were shocked by when you watched the show on TV? Maybe Fabio’s comment “this isn’t Top Scallop, this is Top Chef?”

[Laughing] Well, I haven’t seen last night’s episode yet, so I don’t really know what happened on that. I mean, I know what happened, obviously, but I haven’t watched it yet. It is interesting to see what other people say in their interviews, because we don’t see that. I think you learn that you have to take it with a grain of salt, because it is a TV show. I wasn’t surprised by much of anything, though.

How come you haven’t watched last night’s episode yet?

I got off of work really late, and I got off and came home to watch American Idol first, then I fell asleep. Now I have to go to work again, so I probably won’t watch it for a while. I never really ran home to watch it. I wasn’t the girl who was like oh my God! I have to go home and watch myself on TV! It was never like that.

How do you feel about all the “scallop” talk?

I’m kind of over the scallop talk, to be honest. I don’t know, the scallop thing - I didn’t realize it would turn into such a big deal - I think a lot of it is because of Fabio’s one-liner. It is what it is. I do like cooking scallops, but it’s not the one thing I can cook, that’s for sure. But, I mean they are on my menu! I think the whole thing is kind of silly.

You said that you achieved what you wanted to achieve. What were those things?

For me, going on a show like that, being able to showcase who I am as a chef was definitely what I was trying to achieve. That’s what I did. I think people out there realized that I can cook, and I’m a strong competitor. I feel good about that.

While you were eating at Le Bernadin on last night’s episode, did you have any idea what the challenge was going to be?

Oh yeah. There’s no way they’re going to bring us, 6 people, to Le Bernadin, and feed us 6 dishes without us having to recreate them. There was just no way!

Have you stayed in touch with the other Team Rainbow members?

I keep in touch with a lot of people from the show. I don’t talk to Patrick as much as I’d like to, or Rich.

How annoyed were you actually by Stefan’s love for you?

The whole romance with Stefan was totally ridiculous. I think it was fabricated a lot for television. He definitely did have a crush on me, that part is true. But I think it’s more of a crush out of admiration. We had a lot of mutual respect for each other as chefs. He’s definitely one of the people who I talk to the most, which is kind of interesting. In terms of his personality, though, he can be a little bit overbearing. There were definitely times when he was a little bit annoying, especially when we were stuck in a room together for hours and hours.

Next week is Valentine’s Day, are you pro-Valentine’s Day, or anti?

[Laughing] I guess it depends on whether or not I’m in a relationship. Valentine’s Day for me is one of the busiest days of the year. We’re fully booked and I’m not really looking forward to it because it’s going to be a lot of work for us. I am looking forward to getting on a red eye after Valentine’s Day and going to New York to see my girlfriend. So I guess I’m a little bit romantic.

Are you going to cook her a special one-day-late Valentine’s Day meal?

Absolutely not. She definitely wants me to, but I doubt that I will. I’m only going to be in New York for three days.

Do you have a favorite restaurant in New York?

I have lots of favorite restaurants in New York. I grew up in New York. I think one of my all time favorites, that I’ve been going to for at least 20 years, is a restaurant called Boca Chica. It’s on the corner of 1st Avenue and 1st Street in the East Village, and it’s awesome. It’s Caribbean food and it’s always been delicious, every time I go back.

Who are you rooting for now?

I think at this point it’s anyone’s game. I think Stefan is the most talented out of everybody. I think he has a really good shot, but anybody can snag it. A lot of people thought I was going to win and I’m not there anymore, so you never know.

What was your impression of the judges?

I thought for the most part they were pretty fair. I thought Gail was probably the most fair. When Gail would speak, I would listen. I really respected what Gail had to say. I think Toby, on the other hand, is there for showmanship. And I’m just going to keep mum about Tom and Padma.

Is there anyone who you thought was sent home too early?

Yeah, well if there was someone who I thought deserved a chance to showcase her abilities more, it’d probably be Ariane. She’s a badass cook. I’ve eaten at her restaurant twice, and girl can throw down. She can cook!

What’s the best memory or moment?

The most fun that I had was on the Super Bowl challenge. Once I got past the point where I thought that I wasn’t going to be able to come up with a dish, and I came up with a dish that I actually liked, I decided to have fun with it. It was fun going up against the “all-stars,” the old contestants.

What would be your ultimate career path?

I think if I could do anything in the world, I’d do travel. I would love to travel and cook in other countries. It’s very important as a chef to experience other cultures and other people’s food. So that would be ideal. Anything after that, I mean, I don’t necessarily know if I want to open my own restaurant; part of me does, and part of me doesn’t. In this economy, it’s such a hard time to be in the restaurant industry. There’s been some talk about me opening up a soup restaurant, since I did a lot of soups on the show. Then a part of me really wants to go back to New York, so it’s all up in the air right now. I’m totally happy at Absinthe and I’m not going anywhere unless something totally amazing comes along.

Would you ever want to write a cook book?

Yeah, it’s definitely something I’ve thought about. I’ve also thought about doing more television, although not reality television. Some sort of television.

Link: http://www.fancast.com/blogs/uncategorized/top-chef-exit-interview-jamie-is-cut-and-shes-over-all-the-scallop-talk/

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #270 on: February 07, 2009, 12:51:21 PM »
An interview with Jamie:

Top Chef’s Jamie: Stefan Had a Real Crush On Me

She was outspoken and talented –- and seemed destined to make it to the finale, but a too-salty dish sent San Francisco’s Jamie Lauren packing on Wednesday’s Top Chef. While the elimination may have surprised viewers, the chef seemed to know it was her time. Calling from her Bay-area home, Lauren dished about Stefan’s crush on her (yes, he was for real!), her brassy personality and tackled our five burning questions.

You and Stefan had a fantastic dynamic. Did he really have a crush on you?
Stefan definitely had a real crush on me. Stefan admires talent and I think [he] realized I was the other person there who was on the same level as him. He used to say that to me a lot. And he was convinced that I was going to be in the finale — [that] it was going to be he and I going up against each other. He was probably more bummed that I got sent home than I was because I think he really liked working with me.

So, his “crush” wasn’t of a romantic nature?
There was no romantic anything. That was just nonsense. In all reality, I’m queer. I would never go out with Stefan. That was never going to happen.

You also got some attention from Fabio when he made a joke about how many scallops you used in the competition. What did you think of his “Top Scallop” crack?
It’s funny to have seen that after the fact. That’s just Fabio. Fabio’s a clown. [He] has a ton of charisma. He had a lot of great one-liners. Unfortunately I’m never going to live the “Top Scallop” thing down. It’s a little bit obnoxious because people come into [my restaurant] and they’re always making these scallop remarks. But at the same time, we’ve sold a lot of scallops. So, I guess that’s a good thing.

You were refreshing to watch because you had no problems speaking your mind. Any regrets?
I have a problem with speaking my mind [laughs]. I feel really good about how I was portrayed. I definitely feel I come across as somebody strong and confident who knows how to cook and knows her s—.

You didn’t shy away from criticizing Eric Ripert’s food –- and the dish you got — while everyone else seemed to revere him. Did he intimidate you?
I am definitely fazed by Eric Ripert. I mean, I have his cookbook. I know who he is. I think he’s amazing. I just think out of the six dishes, I got stuck with the one that was sort of lame. I just didn’t think I could do it justice the way he needed it to be done.

You said you knew you were going home. What sealed your fate?
I was convinced just based on the feedback from the judges. When Padma said [the food] was so salty, it was inedible, I was like, ‘Okay, I’m going home.’ Inedible usually means go home. I would have sent myself home. I also get that the competition isn’t based on a cumulative scoring system because if it was, I definitely think I’d stay in the game.

What do you think people took away from you being on the show?
If my 150 comments that I got on Facebook last night mean anything, I think people are really, really bummed that I got kicked off. I think a lot of people expected me to make it to the finale and that’s a really good indication of how people saw me on the show - as somebody who knew how to cook and was confident and sure of themselves most of the time. I think I was really original, and people saw that too.

Our Top Chef 5 Burning Questions:

Describe your Top Chef experience in one word.
Inspiring.

What is in your refrigerator right now?
A bottle of hot sauce. I have a jar of pickled green beans. A slice of American cheese. A jar of olives. A Brita water filter. And a bottle of sparkling rosé.

Name one food you cannot stand.
Salmon.

Pick your favorite fast-food restaurant.
In-N-Out Burger.

Gail or Toby?
Gail gives much better criticism and she’s way better to look at — for me!

Link: http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/02/05/top-chefs-jamie-stefan-had-a-real-crush-on-me/?xid=rss-topheadlines

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #271 on: February 07, 2009, 01:09:44 PM »

Top Chef Burning Questions with Stefan:

Bravo.com: First, the Quickfire Challenge: What were you thinking when you saw that Eric Ripert was guest judge?
Everybody knows the Master of Fish. He is one of the best french chefs in America and of course it made me happy to see him. And to his person, what a sweet and nice chef. I would work for him at anytime.

Bravotv.com: Were you worried at all about the fileting? Which did you think was the hardest?
See again we go back to apples. It is the basics like I said prior. You can’t fillet a fish, you should not be in the kitchen, or at least learn and keep your eyes open and watch and go to a fish market on your day off and work for free. Again, eel I love and it is probably the easiest. We used to catch them in horses' heads in the river in Germany and Switzerland. You rope the head of the horse and throw it in the river or stream, wait a few days and pull it out and here you have beautiful eel.

I know Hosea wants to beat me. That’s OK. He knows who is the better chef. Do I feel the same way? Not really.

Bravotv.com: Hosea really seems to want to beat you specifically. Do you feel the same sense of competition with him?
I know Hosea wants to beat me. That’s OK. He knows who is the better chef. Do I feel the same way? Not really. I have cooked in so many different countries and continents there is always somebody jealous and wants to beat you, comes with fame, fortune, and good looks. Ha! Hosea that one is for you. My hair looks so much better then yours.

Bravotv.com: Onto the Elimination: You seemed surprised that a challenge was announced at lunch. Were you?

Not really. I was counting the peeps on the table and six courses, six chefs. Do the math. And why would Tom and Eric sit with us for lunch and check us out?

Bravotv.com: Why did you choose the lobster dish? Did you think it would be the easiest as Hosea suggests?
Whole Foods isn’t selling lobster so I thought, Why not?" And it was my favorite dish. I could have picked any of them; that’s the food I have cooked all my life and to Hosea’s remark, It is the easiest one. He almost did not make it with his dish. And when you cook lobster 30 seconds too long it is like rubber. So that is my answer to the question. But if Hosea thinks it is easier then I'm happy to take any of his dishes in his restaurant and re-do them, especially when I kick his ass in Bolder when we go skiing together. Hosea, I’m the guy waiting for you at the lift and waving and waiting for you.

Bravotv.com: What did you find to be the biggest challenge in recreating the dish?
Challenge? Again it was the basics. We are chefs here and not in school. RIGHT?? And execution was the key to the dish. That’s why I made one dish for Eric to try and he said it was great. Then I was sure I was fine.

Bravotv.com: Did you get to try your fellow chefs' dishes? What did you think?
Fabio’s was good, Hosea’s was OK as well, Carla was pretty close I have to say. And Jamie's? Ohhhhh Jamie. Sooooo salty, sorry.

Bravotv.com: Were you surprised Jamie was sent home? Did you think someone else deserved to go?
See, now I have to be honest. When I tasted Jamie’s food after she put it out I knew it was too salty. The fish seem to be OK, but the celery was sooooo salty and I knew when I ate it, she was going home. Someone else nope; it was Jamie.

Bravotv.com: You seemed to really like Jamie — how upset were you that she went home?
I knew that question is going to come. I really love Jamie, as a chef, as a person and how she is. She is a straight shooter like me. Lots of people think, that we comes across as arrogant or pompous. Trust me, it is just love and passion for the kitchen. She is by far one of the most creative chefs I have met. She was my biggest competitor on the show. She is fun, and has the sweetest smile and laugh on the face of the earth. And yes, Jamie is that chef I want to cook against in the finale. Boring without her.

Link: http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/blogs/burning-questions/stefan-what-challenge?page=0%2C0

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #272 on: February 07, 2009, 01:15:48 PM »

Top Chef Burning Questions with Jamie:

Bravotv.com: First, the Quickfire: What were you thinking when you saw that Eric Ripert was guest judge?

I thought for sure it was going to something involving fish, I mean, I know Le Bernadin is one of the top rating seafood restaurants in the country so it wasn't surprising when the announced the fish relay race.

Bravotv.com: What did you think of the filleting challenge? If they hadn't started with sardines, do you think you would have gone further?

I thought the filleting challenge was cool, until we pulled off the domes and were presented with the sardines...I had never actually filleted a sardine like that, with such precision...I was definitely intimidated, I usually serve sardines whole, Eric's were gorgeous! I knew I wasn't going to be able to do it as well as he had, it was something I had no experience with. I think, had we started with the Char, I would have totally had a chance to go on further in the quickfire.

Bravotv.com: Onto the Elimination: It almost seemed like you guys didn't know there would be a challenge announced while you were eating at Le Bernardin. Were you guys surprised?

No, Not at all...all through lunch I sat there and scrutinized every last thing I ate. I knew for sure we were going to have to replicate his dishes, and I knew I was in trouble...I am am awful at replicating...I thrive off the creative aspect of cooking and being innovative...I was terrified that was going to be our challenge.

Bravotv.com: What did you think of the concept of the challenge overall?

I thought the concept was cool, but not surprising...we all knew what was coming, some people were even taking notes under the table on certain dishes...but, I would have preferred being thrown in his kitchen and making our own seafood focused dish...I just think that would have been more interesting.

Bravotv.com: Were you happy with the fish you got? Was there a dish you would have preferred to make?

I was happy cooking black bass, I have cooked it hundreds of times before...I didn't think that part of it was going to be a problem (which its was). I would have loved to make the dish Fabio got with the tomato water and bread crust. That dish was beautiful. Or even the dish Hosea got because of the flavors in it, the black garlic (which was one of my ingredients I brought with me), the Persian lime, the cous cous...It was just more interesting.

Bravotv.com: What did you struggle most with in replicating Chef Ripert's dish?

I had a hard time figuring out the sauce, it was such a strange flavor with the ham and the celery. I also was having trouble trying to cook in his 700 degree ovens...I guess in his kitchen he really likes to keep his oven at blazing hot temperatures. Every time I opened the oven door and stuck my hand in, I think my arm hair got burned off! And then there was the braised celery, which ultimately did me in...

Bravotv.com: You knew that your celery was over seasoned. Did you think this would send you home?

I knew the celery was over seasoned, but at the point I realized it, I couldn't do anything to change it. All my ingredients were accounted for and I had nothing left over to help dilute the liquid to take some of the salt away, I tried adding some water when we got to the upstairs kitchen, but at that point it was just too late...I couldn't fix it. But, I had to serve it...it was either that, or serve nothing, I thought nothing would have been a worse offense. I had a pretty good idea that I would be going home, considering mine was the most offensive of all the dishes.

Bravotv.com: Do you think someone else deserved to go home instead?

Nope, not that I can recall...I think it was totally fair, and I was okay with that. I screwed up, it wasn't my food, I wasn't inspired...I think if I were to go out on any challenge this was the one to do it on...because at least I didn't screw up my own food and I didn't go home because the judges disliked something that was creatively mine. I think that would have been a bigger blow for me.

Bravotv.com: What was your experience like overall? Did Stefan ever get that kiss? (just kidding)

I had a great time shooting the show and I am super happy I did it. I met a lot of really amazing people who I know I will be friends with for a long long time to come. I think in the long run being on Top Chef has made me a stronger more inspired chef. It was a chance that not many people get to live through and I am very grateful that I was given the opportunity to do it. As far as Stefan is concerned...I think we may have kissed once or twice in his dreams (ha!)....but, truthfully...he knows I adore him...

Bravotv.com: You were the last member of Team Rainbow left standing -- is Team Rainbow still alive and well off camera?

Oh Team Rainbow...that's one I will never live down! I never wanted to be a gay poster child when I started the show, but I think as the months have progressed I have changed my tune a little...It's amazing to be able to inspire a community and I am glad that I had the courage to be "out" on national tv...a lot of people can't even make it that far...I think its important to embrace who you are and be proud of it, hence the reason Team Rainbow was hatched in the first place. The three of us immediately bonded over being queer, which when you are a minority tends to happen, and yes, we are still thriving...in fact Rich and I are doing an a gay marriage fundraiser in San Diego next month.

Bravotv.com: Where can your fans learn more about you and your food?

Fans can check me out at  www.absinthe.com where I am still the Executive Chef...Plus, on our website there is a link that tells folks where I will be over the next few months so if I am in your city, I'd love for you to come out and say Hello! I also just wanted to say many many thank you's to everyone who has supported me through this journey...

Link: http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/blogs/burning-questions/jamie-i-wasnt-inspired?page=0%2C0

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #273 on: February 07, 2009, 11:46:22 PM »
Top Chef 5 episode 11

The Guest Judge was the fabulous Eric Ripert of Le Bernardin restaurant, generally regarded as the finest seafood chef in the U.S. and probably the world. During the Elimination Challenge as the competing chefs were having problems, Padma made the statement that Ripert is "the Top Chef." He has taken refined cuisine to the maximum, going for very subtle flavors and balance of ingredients.

We start with a Quickfire Challenge and this one is deceptively simple. There are 3 rounds and the bottom 2 chefs will be eliminated each round. Round one is 5 minutes to fillet 3 sardines. Jaime and Carla bit the dust. Leah did best and Stefan did really well. Round 2 was 5 minutes to fillet an arctic char. The best was Hosea and Stefan was close. Leah and Fabio were out. The final round was to filet a moving (although dead) eel. Seafood chef Hosea knew the pressure was on him but Stefan had huge experience in this from childhood. He won and gained a significant advantage in the elimination challenge.

The chefs were invited to lunch at Le Bernadin to be overseen by Eric Ripert. This is an obvious ploy, as any chefs that have ever watched earlier seasons of Top Chef know. The chefs have to bring their "A" game and observe very carefully and take either mental or actual notes. The meal is 6 courses, each one of fish. At the end, Tom Colicchio announces that, after Stefan picks the dish he wants, the others will draw knives for which dish they will get. The results are:
Fabio - Sourdough marinated Red Snapper w/ tomato basil consomme
Leah - Baked Mahi Mahi w/ miso and matsutake mushroom sauce
Stefan - Baked Lobster w/Hollandaise sauce and  asparagus
Carla - Oil-Poached Escobar w/ potato crisps in Bearnaise red wine sauce
Hosea - Za'apata Spiced Monkfish w/ black garlic
Jaime - Sauteed Black Bass w/ Serrano ham green peppercorn sauce and braised celery

The chefs then have 2 hours to prep and prepare, followed by staggered cooking of the dishes. The goal is to match the way Le Bernardin does it, so a "control" by a chef under Ripert's is the standard for comparison of the cooking of each cheftestant. Late in the 2 hours Eric Ripert visits each one to offer counsel.

The actual cooking begins as the courses are cooked and served sequentially. Hosea knows that he has a problem with the consistency of the monkfish, but when he discovered it there is nothing he can do to fix it. Jaime is aware just before plating that there is nothing she can do about the celery being overcooked and too salty. Leah was not able to figure out the miso and added butter to compensate for her lack of understanding. The other 3 chefs had very minor problems and were put in the Winner's Group, composed of Stefan, Fabio and Carla. The Loser's Group was Leah, Jaime and Hosea. Based on the comments occurring at the table where the judges sampled, those three were in jeopardy. So when the Winner's Group was announced, Hosea was kicking himself as a seafood chef who was not going to win a seafood cooking competition. Leah and Jaime were just scared about being sent home and each of them expected it would be themselves. Stefan wins and the prize is the latest Ripert book "End of the Line" plus a week's apprenticeship under Ripert to Le Bernardin, two unnamed other restaurants of his, and finally a trip to the Food and Wine Festival of Pebble Beach.

Next is the time for the Loser's group to talk and the judges to give some indication of what concerns them:
Leah - knew her miso flavor was too strong but did not know how to fix her miso sauce, ending up with adding butter. That was the wrong answer. Tom asked her if her giving up in the Quickfire Challenge was going to be repeated any time soon. What's she going to say? She has to sound committed to continuing.
Jaime - the braised celery was really bad but she could not fix it. Padma said if she could have sent the dish back she would have.
Hosea - the quality of the sauce was really good; his problem according to Tom was not letting the monkfish set long enough before slicing it. Hosea says he only had 1.5 minutes. Tom basically said that Hosea's planning should have allowed for much more time.

It was obvious that Hosea was going to stay and the battle was between Leah and Jaime. I was expecting Leah to be eliminated, but the decision was against Jaime. I suspect that the producers got into the act on this one because the "love story" between Leah and Hosea is good for show ratings. I don't think so. I find it obnoxious that they would behave like they did in the episode 10.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #274 on: February 08, 2009, 06:01:33 PM »
An interesting article:

Padma Lakshmi has a life outside of `Top Chef'

Ice princess probably isn't the right term for Padma Lakshmi. Even though the Top Chef judge dispenses all her exiting cheftestants flatly with her signature ''Please pack your knives and go,'' the 38-year-old former model from Kerala, India, really, really has a heart.

''I always feel bad because Top Chef is much harder to compete in than it even looks on TV,'' says Lakshmi, who appears on the cover of this month's Ocean Drive. ``I'm with these chefs day and night and I can see how much heart and soul they put into their work. Telling a chef to go home is the single most difficult thing about my job.''

The former Mrs. Salman Rushdie opened up about other, better parts of the gig and what she's up to off the set:

You filmed Top Chef : Miami down here in '07. What did you think of the dining scene?

I love the food in Miami. I especially loved all the citrus and seafood. The confluence of Latin flavors and Southern cooking traditions as well as Caribbean cooking all make for a great culinary scene. Some of my favorite spots are Table 8, Michael's Genuine, or just getting tacos at Lime.''

You're super thin -- how do you do it? Have any guilty pleasures?

I do try not to overeat, especially when dining out. But it's always hard -- starting from when you first get to the table and that big, fat bread basket is eyeing you. My best guilty pleasure is watching old sitcoms and eating grilled cheese and tomato soup in bed.''

Are you a fan of reality TV in general?

I must say I'm not. In fact, as my life becomes busier, I find that I don't have time to turn the TV on enough, but when I do, I'm more drawn to shows like Flight of the Conchords and Mad Men. I have a weakness for old black and white videos of Julia Child's cooking show and documentaries. I've stayed up till 3 a.m. watching things like the history of paint!''

We hear you have launched a fine jewelry collection inspired by your heritage.

The line of [cuffs, necklaces and rings] is 10K and 14K gold with semi and precious stones. I wanted to do a line that women could wear with jeans as well as with cocktail dresses. I wasn't able to find anything on the market that really suited all my needs.''

If you weren't a chef/host/author what would you be?

I have really been fortunate to make a professional life out of what genuinely interests me. I love food, film and fashion and my work is in these areas. But I suppose trapeze artist would be interesting.''

Link to the article: http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/people/story/893681.html

Link to Ocean Drive Magazine: http://www.oceandrive.com/flash/interface.html