Author Topic: Top Chef New York Season 5  (Read 102992 times)

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Top Chef New York Season 5
« Reply #225 on: January 24, 2009, 10:48:22 PM »
ty maragold it does sound like it was a caught up in the moment thing..i understand the gf trust is a big thing for sure i took bk a cheating huby only to have him cheat again. i got 3 awsome kids and a younger and hotter hubby after it was all over but i would not wish it on my worst enamy. can we say over share lol..

So sorry to hear that happened to you Tory. I am glad you had moved on and it sounds like you have a beautiful family, that’s great to hear.  :tup:

Funny thing about Hosea and Leah I had read a while ago that they were seen holding hands during the Foo Fighters contest. It happened in Episode 3 Leah had won the Quick Fire challenge and choose Hosea I think it was her second pick to be on her team and they named the team Sexy Pants. They won that challenge and for a reward they were invited to the Foo Fighters concert. There they were seen holding hands.

So anyways we only witnessed their relationship now but it seems it started prior even by Episode 3.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #226 on: January 24, 2009, 10:55:24 PM »

Next week on Top Chef New York

January 29, 2009

Episode Title:  SUPERBOWL CHEF SHOWDOWN

It's time for the Super Bowl and nothing goes better with the all-American pastime than good food! The remaining chefs battle it out in a Super Bowl-themed cook-off against seven all-stars from previous seasons including season four's Andrew and Spike, season three's Camille and season two's Josie. Scott Conant, chef-restaurateur of the Meatpacking District's Scarpetta Restaurant.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #227 on: January 25, 2009, 09:58:21 AM »
ty maragold it does sound like it was a caught up in the moment thing..i understand the gf trust is a big thing for sure i took bk a cheating huby only to have him cheat again. i got 3 awsome kids and a younger and hotter hubby after it was all over but i would not wish it on my worst enamy. can we say over share lol..

I'm sorry Tory that it happened to you. It's the violation of trust that hurts so bad.  :(  LOL on the younger and hotter hubby and congrats on the three awesome kids!
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #228 on: January 25, 2009, 10:02:11 AM »

So sorry to hear that happened to you Tory. I am glad you had moved on and it sounds like you have a beautiful family, that’s great to hear.  :tup:

Funny thing about Hosea and Leah I had read a while ago that they were seen holding hands during the Foo Fighters contest. It happened in Episode 3 Leah had won the Quick Fire challenge and choose Hosea I think it was her second pick to be on her team and they named the team Sexy Pants. They won that challenge and for a reward they were invited to the Foo Fighters concert. There they were seen holding hands.

So anyways we only witnessed their relationship now but it seems it started prior even by Episode 3.

HMMM! I hadn't even thought about the Sexy Pants name or noticed that they were holding hands.  Good catch MG.  :tup:

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #229 on: January 25, 2009, 01:11:52 PM »
ty u guys for the love  u guys r awsome..  :hearts:

yea i rember the foo fighters eppy, they were cooking out side on hot plates.. :jam:

maragold u r a good tar and top chef detictive.. if i ever go missing i want u guys looking for me lol u r goooooddd. :waves:
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #230 on: January 25, 2009, 03:10:50 PM »
ty u guys for the love  u guys r awsome..  :hearts:

yea i rember the foo fighters eppy, they were cooking out side on hot plates.. :jam:

maragold u r a good tar and top chef detictive.. if i ever go missing i want u guys looking for me lol u r goooooddd. :waves:

:hearts: Tory you are so adorable I am soooo glad you joined us here on RFF  :hugs:

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #231 on: January 25, 2009, 03:16:15 PM »

HMMM! I hadn't even thought about the Sexy Pants name or noticed that they were holding hands. 

IDK thats all I know about it. Those rumors started at the time the Foo Fighters had their concert in New York. The audience there said that Hosea and Leach were seen holding hands and that hit the internet with Top Chef fans.

Anyways Dave Grohl the lead singer told the audience about Top Chef and Padma at one point tells him to not talk about it in that length ( she motions to shush ) seeing the episode had not yet aired.

The second video was pretty cool it has Padma playing the tambourine on stage during the concert. Lol she had a blast and rocked  :lol:

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #232 on: January 26, 2009, 11:53:57 PM »

Reminder:

Padma Lakshmi will be on The View tomorrow Tuesday January 27, 2009

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #233 on: January 27, 2009, 04:00:19 PM »

Padma Lakshimi on The View 01/27/09

Link: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=_ya6F9sOEtA

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2009, 05:30:48 PM »
I always liked Stephen even if he seemed a little annoying at times so I'm happy for him that he is successful, Lisa and Spike seem to have found their niche as well.    :tup:

Thanks for finding this MG.  :-*

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #235 on: January 28, 2009, 02:02:46 PM »
An interesting article an interview with Spike:

Spike Dishes on Tonight’s All-Star Battle on Top Chef

Hours before his cameo and Superbowl throw-down on Top Chef, PEOPLE.com spoke to season four’s Spike Mendelsohn, owner of Good Stuff Eatery in Washington, D.C., about the current cheftestants and how they’re all “too bland” for his taste.

Can you give us any clues about tonight’s episode?
You will see who’s a bigger man — me or Fabio. And you will see the electric energy some of the prior contestants have…compared to these new guys!

Speaking of new guys, what’s your prediction for this season’s Top Chef winner?
My money is on Hosea! I think he’s playing the game, he’s flirting with Leah, making great TV and at the same time he’s trying to produce good food and get himself in the way of Stefan.

How would you rate this season in New York? Be nice!
These guys don’t have enough…style, humor, bravado, I can’t put my finger on it. Where is the fun?! They’re too bland for my taste. Plus, N.Y.C. has so many great chefs and great things to do. Seeing Martha Stewart and being on GMA? That’s cool, but the city has so much more potential than that.

Do you think their challenges have been harder or easier than yours?
Our eliminations were definitely harder since it was a lot of catering stuff. This season it seems like they focused a lot more on individual skills, where I remember having to set aside my personal philosophies a lot.

Have you talked to Tom or Padma about this season?
Yes. Everyone is psyched that the show is so popular. But I gotta say, the judges and past contestants, we all agree it was kind of hard to top us….I mean vanilla love, culinary boner, lesbian scandals, that’s classic stuff. Fabio can’t even top that, even with his grandmamma.

Link: http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/01/28/spike-dishes-on-tonights-all-star-battle-on-top-chef/

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #236 on: January 28, 2009, 02:17:36 PM »
Can you give us any clues about tonight’s episode?
You will see who’s a bigger man — me or Fabio. And you will see the electric energy some of the prior contestants have…compared to these new guys!

WHOAAAAAA!!!! Spike! Let me check...   :spy:  There IS no contest, it's Fabio all the way!  :funny:

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #237 on: January 28, 2009, 10:30:45 PM »
Tom Colicchio's Blog:

The Front Seven Become Six

Did you know that after Thanksgiving, Super Bowl Sunday is the day of greatest food consumption in America each year? (Antacid consumption, too, by the way.) Granted, roughly 15-20 million pounds of that will be potato chips, tortilla chips, and popcorn, but chips alone do not get us through the game; we want food. The foods of choice vary region to region, which is why I particularly liked this week's challenge.

Each NFL team represented was chosen because its city has a distinguished and distinctive food culture. San Francisco is known for its Dungeness Crab, for sourdough bread. You think of Green Bay and you think of venison, cheese, bratwurst. New York is a food mecca and we were shooting there; Dallas, big over-the-top grilling; Miami, Latin food. And Seattle not only has great seafood but is actually a great food town. In fact, I even strongly considered moving there twenty years ago because of its great food culture. I looked forward to what the chefs would do to highlight each town and team's food legacy.

The only thing I didn't like about this challenge was the voting power invested in the young culinary students, who, I'm afraid, tended to vote personality over palate. On the other hand, there had to be a way to break the ties that occurred between the four judges more than once. Also -- Top Chef All-Stars? It might be a stretch to say so: Some didn't make it more than half-way through their season's competition. Andrea was eliminated not once but twice, and not one of the members of the "All-Star" team made it to their season's finale. Still, they're all solidly good chefs and having already weathered prior seasons, they had the advantage of having been through the stress of the competition before.

Overall, the chefs did a fine job. And I'd like to note that sometimes in this competition a great dish gets edged out by an even better dish. For example, I voted for Camille's dish over Jamie's, because I think that Camille's was ultimately even stronger, but I still felt that Jamie's was one of the strongest of the day. The way this challenge was structured, I voted against Jamie's while voting for certain other dishes that, while better than their challengers', were not as strong as Jamie's. Hey, some years there may be better teams than the one that ultimately wins the Super Bowl, which just had a great streak. It happens.

As for the bottom dishes, Jeff's was the overall weakest. First of all, it wasn't actually ceviche. As I'm sure you know, ceviche is seafood that is literally cooked by the acid in the citrus in which it is steeped (the citric acid causes a chemical reaction that cooks the fish without needing to add heat). Here, Jeff poached the shrimp first. osie may have done so as well -- I'm not sure. But regardless, her dish was far more flavorful; aside from Padma, it was the clear favorite of both the judges and the students. Similarly, while the venison was overcooked, Fabio's sauce was excellent and his dish, overall, showed more creativity and intensity of flavor. Jeff is very concerned about presentation. He's right that it is important, however it's not the beginning and end of the story, and his dish was just weak. The sorbet on top was a good idea in theory, not in practice. It was fine cold, but once it started to melt, it just became watery and didn't hold up. At the end of the day, the dish was bland and uninteresting, regardless of how it was presented. Unfortunately for Jeff, decision at the Judges' Table was clear to us all this week.

A post-script: This is the second time that Top Chef has worked with the NFL and it won't be the last ... keep your eyes peeled ... and enjoy the Super Bowl.

Link: http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/season/5/blogs/index.php?blog=tom_colicchio&article=2009/01/the_front_seven_become_six#breadcrumbs

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #238 on: January 28, 2009, 10:36:40 PM »

:hearts: Gail Simmons Blog:

Missing the Points

I grew up in Canada, as I've mentioned in previous blogs, so the Stanley Cup was a much bigger deal in my house than the Super Bowl. I've tried to become a football fan, but I really only watch the big game for the over-the-top commercials and the opportunity to eat spicy chicken wings, spinach-artichoke dip, and potato skins for dinner. Viewing this episode of Top Chef, however, certainly put me in a spirited mood. I thoroughly enjoyed not only how enthusiastic the cheftestants returning from seasons past were to get back in the game, but also how fiercely competitive our seven remaining Season 5 chefs became when they discovered their Elimination Challenge would involve cooking against former contestants in a race against the clock.

This challenge had a few more rules and regulations than most. It was judged on a point system that dictated which chef won each set of a seven part cook-off. Each of our New York chefs was pitted against a chef from a previous season. They were asked to create -- in front of a live audience -- a dish inspired by food from one of seven great football cities: Dallas, Green Bay, Miami, New Orleans, New York, San Francisco, and Seattle. The judges allotted seven points to the dish they liked best. Four tasters from the audience also weighed in, bestowing three points on their favorite. If a New York chef lost in their individual heat, they were up for elimination. Thankfully, our hometown chefs won the day overall. Jamie (San Fran), Carla (New Orleans), Josea (Seattle), and Leah (New York) managed to create dishes the judges and fans really liked. To their dismay, Stefan (Dallas), Fabio (Green Bay), and Jeff (Miami) lost their respective challenges and faced the judges' wrath at the end of the evening.

The most surprising and satisfying portion of the episode for me was watching Stefan's overconfident attitude deflate completely after losing to Andrea Beaman, best known as the health food chef from Season 1 who was eliminated twice! Since shooting in San Francisco with her way back in 2005, I've gotten to know Andrea a little. She is not only incredibly knowledgeable about ingredients, but also exceptionally passionate and focused in her work. The sting of Stefan's defeat was compounded by the fact that Stefan was the winner of this episode's Quickfire and, instead of receiving immunity in the elimination, was allowed to choose both the city he wanted to represent and the chef he wanted to cook against. He clearly chose Andrea because he viewed her as the weakest of the lot, underestimating how well she can cook and how familiar she is with the food of the Southwest, a choice he may never live down. The judges were split on who should win but in the end declared his meat duo -- Roasted Pork on Coleslaw with Cilantro & Ancho Chilies and Pan Seared Steak with Roasted Corn & Pepper Salad -- lacking in the bold flavors for which Dallas is known. Stephan's dish may have been prettier, but there was no question the audience preferred Andrea's Tex-Mex Chili.

Fabio's problem was his overcooked Venison Tenderloin. There was no way he could defend that to the judges, no matter how hard he tried. Spike, Season 4's hat-wearing provocateur, easily beat him with an impressive Five-Spice Venison.

It was Jeff who made the final fumble. A resident of Miami, he chose what he was convinced he could cook best, but his inability to focus his presentation and concentrate on just a few key ingredients sent him packing his knives. His opponent, Josie from Season 2, may have created an unconventional variation on ceviche by serving it warm (ceviche is typically cold raw fish or lightly cooked seafood, marinated in citrus, which causes the protein to break down and appear "cooked"), but it certainly looked tasty. Jeff's Rock Shrimp Ceviche with Mango, Jicama, Cilantro Sauce & Sangria Ice was overworked and underwhelming. Kind of like watching that missed field goal sail wide in the final seconds.

Link: http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/season/5/blogs/index.php?blog=gail_simmons&article=2009/01/i_grew_up_in_canada#breadcrumbs

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #239 on: January 28, 2009, 10:52:13 PM »

Toby Young's Blog:

Girl Power!

As a food critic, I'm constantly asking my editors to let me review airline food, not least because it is such a good opportunity to be funny. So far, they've never said yes, but for an example of just how funny it is possible to be about airline food check out the link below received by Richard Branson, the owner of Virgin Atlantic.

Last night's Elimination Challenge wasn't about making a good airline meal, but it wasn't far off. The seven remaining cheftestants were asked to put together the kind of dishes that would be good to eat while watching the Super Bowl. In other words, something simple and portable and which didn't require too much fiddling about with cutlery. If they could convey something of the flavour of the region where their particular teams came from, so much the better.

For me, the big surprise of the night was that the three remaining female contestants ended up among the winners, while Stefan, Jeff, and Fabio had to battle to stay in the competition. Why should women be better at cooking "football food" than men? Perhaps the answer is that in spite of the advances made by the feminist movement, in most households women are still stuck behind the stove on game day.

Carla admitted that her husband and stepson are big football fans, while she can take it or leave it, so it is not surprising that she emerged as last night's overall winner. She's probably been cooking up a storm on Sunday nights for years. By picking New Orleans, she got to play to her strengths and she scored a touchdown with her gumbo. I can just imagine her making this dish for the men in her life as they sit down to watch the Super Bowl - which might explain why both Tom and I said we could "taste the love" this time. I wonder if she'll give both of those Super Bowl tickets to them or keep one for herself?

Picking the overall loser was a lot more difficult - probably the toughest decision I've had to make as a judge since joining the show. Remember, we're not allowed to take a chef's track record into account, so Stefan wasn't safe in spite of having won so many times before. We really didn't like his salads - and serving two salads, along with two different proteins, seemed a little excessive given the parameters of this challenge. Fabio, too, let himself down, by overcooking the venison. Still, I preferred Fabio's dish to Spike's - and so did the audience.

In the end, we concluded that Jeff's dish was the weakest of the three. His ceviche was limp and flavourless, not the sort of food anyone would associate with the Miami Dolphins. Up until now, I've enjoyed Jeff's complex, multi-faceted food, even if he is a little over-reliant on sorbets. But this dish was more suitable for a trio of ladies at a tennis match than a bunch of guys sitting down to watch a football game. If the sports competition in question had been

Wimbledon, rather than the Super Bowl, he might have won. As it was, he deserved to go home.

Link to the blog: http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/season/5/blogs/index.php?blog=toby_young&article=2009/01/girl_power_1#breadcrumbs

Link to review: http://timesnews.typepad.com/news/2009/01/apparently-sir-richard-branson-thevirgin-bossthought-this-was-the-funniestletter-of-complaint-hed-ever-received------dear.html

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #240 on: January 29, 2009, 06:50:20 AM »
I was not surprised that of the bottom three, Jeff went home. He's been in the bottom three more often. Of the 6 left, my favorites remain Stefan and Fabio, but the remaining women are beginning to hit their stride, particularly Carla.

It's probably the edit he's getting but Hosea whining and griping about Stefan is getting old. Hosea, if you want to win, beat him in the kitchen! (Do ya hear me Top Chef producers?)  :knuckles:

Fabio thanked the judges for giving him a second chance which I thought showed his heart and desire to do better in order to win. Stefan got shot down and I hope it will cause him to focus more, I think he is the best chef this season.

Oh and Spike??? I told ya, no contest, Fabio is the better chef.

Offline scuzneck

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #241 on: January 29, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »
It may very well be the edit, but I've got to say that Stefan is truly getting on my nerves. The pompusity of the gentleman is very much outlandish. Now, with that said, he knows this competition well. Simple ingredients cooked to perfection. He did stumble last night. And maybe that will bring his brashness down to a more pleasing level.

I hate to say it, but I am starting to think that this may end up being Jaime's competition to lose. She is continually in the top in both the Quickfires and the Elimination challenges. And admitingly, she hasn't cooked her best food yet.

Jeff needed to go this week. His food has been very suspect in the last few episodes and, for a show like this, his imagination and technique seemed too much. I would definately try his restaurant if ever in Miami, but he wasn't Top Chef final cheftestant material.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #242 on: January 29, 2009, 04:45:41 PM »

Wow scuzneck what a treat nicely said and thanks for sharing  :tup: cool

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #243 on: January 29, 2009, 04:48:53 PM »
An interesting article an interview with Jeff:

Top Chef's Jeff

Jeff McInnes was nothing if not serious about his food. And when the Miami-based chef lost his head-to-head challenge in Wednesday’s episode, he took the loss hard. Calling from his Florida restaurant Dilido Beach Club, the chef had some spicy words about his competitors, head judge Tom Colicchio and why he felt “used” by the show. He also tackled our five burning questions.

Did you think Fabio was going to be eliminated — or did you know it was your time?
We all thought it was going to be Fabio. He had overcooked venison. It was well done. It was dried out, overcooked, [the] salad was wilted [and the] dressing was just soaked into the salad. It was a bad dish. They even showed on TV when the judges came up and ate mine, every single one of them said, “I like yours. I like yours too. I think I’m going to vote for [Josie's].” … They all said something negative about Fabio’s, so it was strange for the judges to all say something positive [about my dish] and then me be the one who goes.

Talk about your ceviche dish versus Josie’s? Was your dish more authentic?
Ceviche is a chilled seafood dish that’s cooked in acid. Josie took a can of black beans and heated it up in a sauce pot, and put some shrimp in there and heated up the shrimp. It’s like shrimp nachos what she made. There’s nothing wrong with that. There’s actually a Cuban dish like that, too. But for her to call it ceviche is interesting. … If the tables were turned and she was the Top Chef challenging, it would have been judged a little more [harshly].

Were you held to a different standard?
Definitely. I’m competing for [the title of] Top Chef. Josie was just in there [as] a hit man, coming to knock you out. Say she made beef Wellington, which is something wrapped in puff pastry, and called it carpaccio. It doesn’t matter to Tom.

One constant criticism of your food was that there were too many components to each dish. Was that helpful or constructive?
It was a criticism that night. It’s something I thought about. [But] that dish is on my menu … [and I] served it to about 20 people today. They all loved it. I am not going to change that dish because Tom Colicchio said he didn’t like it. It’s a little shocking [that] I went home over that dish, but I’m not going to change the way I cook because of one person’s opinion. My opinion about Tom Colicchio’s food is that it’s extremely boring. I’ve
been to his restaurant. His chicken dish on his menu is roasted chicken with roasted potatoes, thyme and olive oil. If I want that, I’d go to my grandmother’s house. That’s just not exciting to me. I don’t know who would go out and pay exorbitant amounts of money for that food.

How do you think you’ll be remembered on the show? What impression did you leave?
I think the show used me as some kind of sex object. Every single show that I’ve ever seen, they have me with my shirt off in the beginning — which is kind of strange. I don’t run around the house naked half the time like they portrayed me. It seems like a camera was always following me around trying to find me whenever I’m taking my clothes off to change in the morning or at night. So, to be used like that is always fun.

Our Top Chef 5 Burning Questions:

Describe your Top Chef experience in one word.
Exciting.

What is in your refrigerator right now?
Chicken.

Name one food you cannot stand.
There’s nothing, really.

Pick your favorite fast-food restaurant.
Street food? There’s little Taquerias. There’s a place called Lime that’s good around here.

Gail or Toby?
Gail — she knew food better. She had a better palate.

Link to the article:  http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/01/29/top-chefs-jeff-the-show-used-me-as-a-sex-object/

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #244 on: January 29, 2009, 05:41:36 PM »
It may very well be the edit, but I've got to say that Stefan is truly getting on my nerves. The pompusity of the gentleman is very much outlandish. Now, with that said, he knows this competition well. Simple ingredients cooked to perfection. He did stumble last night. And maybe that will bring his brashness down to a more pleasing level.

I hate to say it, but I am starting to think that this may end up being Jaime's competition to lose. She is continually in the top in both the Quickfires and the Elimination challenges. And admitingly, she hasn't cooked her best food yet.

Jeff needed to go this week. His food has been very suspect in the last few episodes and, for a show like this, his imagination and technique seemed too much. I would definately try his restaurant if ever in Miami, but he wasn't Top Chef final cheftestant material.

Hi scuzneck!  :waves: I think part of it is the edit to have someone be the villain so to speak because this year everyone seems to be on better terms. Hosea wants Stefan gone so he has a chance to get to the finals. (I'll give him this, I would be hoping for the same thing.) In other seasons it seemed like real hate going on, think of Marcel. They ganged up on him and tried to shave his head.  :ascared

I do agree with you that Jeff needed to go. I also agree that Jamie has an excellent chance to be in the final elimination. I think it will be Stefan, Fabio, Jamie and possibly Carla final four. Not sure that Hosea can make it that far. The women are stepping up their game at the right time. 

How much of Stefan's attitude do you think comes from his upbringing? I believe he is the oldest chef on the show and grew up in Germany.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #245 on: January 29, 2009, 05:46:11 PM »
Thanks for the exit interview with Jeff, MG.  :tup:

I don't recall seeing him with his shirt off a lot though.  :lol:  It's interesting that he thinks Tom serves things that you could get at your grandmother's house and that Gail has the better palate.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #246 on: January 29, 2009, 09:10:48 PM »
An interview with Jeff:

Top Chef Exit Interview: Episode Ten

Leave it to Top Chef to throw a Quickfire featuring sponsored product Quaker Oats into the same episode as a Super Bowl–themed competition with a handful of has-beens from the show's earlier seasons. Tasked with creating a regional dish in twenty minutes, season five's cheftestants came out on top against their predecessors, but not without some major losses, leaving Fabio, Jeff, and Stefan on the chopping block. In the end, Fabio's overcooked venison was overlooked in the interest of keeping the show's European duo intact. That meant that Jeff McInnis, he of the golden hair and busy plates, was sent to pack his knives. We spoke to him on the phone this afternoon, and he told us about Josie's slimy seviche and life after the show.

Between the three of you, do you have any idea who made the worst dish? Did you get to taste the other ones?
Yeah, we all got to taste everybody’s food. In my opinion, obviously mine was better. I definitely think it was better than Fabio’s. We all looked at Fabio’s and how well-done it was, and there were definitely thoughts that it was going to be him.

I’ve never heard of warm seviche before — it sounds gross! Have you ever heard of it?
It doesn’t exist. It was very original, that’s for sure.

Did Josie make that up?
You can’t seviche a shrimp in twenty minutes, it’ll still be dead raw. Josie had a can of black beans that she had put in a sauce pot, as you saw, and she threw the shrimp in, heated them up, and voilà. It definitely wasn’t seviche, but something like it.

The bizarre thing is that the judges kept calling it authentic.
I heard Toby say it. Great guy, but maybe he doesn’t know a lot about Miami. He’s from England, right?

You were criticized throughout the season for overcomplicating your dishes. Is that the kind of work you do at your restaurant?
I wouldn’t call it overcomplicating. I would call it not the simplest cuisine, not the simplest flavors, or maybe just not grilling chicken breast and putting it on a plate.

On Top Chef they seem to appreciate simplistic cooking.
That’s what Tom likes a lot. That’s his style of restaurants, what he looks for in his chefs and cuisines. I’ve been to a couple of his restaurants, and it’s very simple food. It’s amazing food, but it’s simple. If that’s what he likes, then maybe that’s what the competitors should be cooking. Otherwise, you might end up on the chopping block and going home.

What was at stake for you in this competition? Was it the money?
No, it was never about the money. I never thought about that. I guess if I had made it to the finale, I would have started thinking about that. Getting older in life, unless you’re playing in a softball league, you’re not really doing a whole lot of competing. So I had a shot at this, and I thought it would be a good time.

Have you received any business offers as a result of being on the show?
Surprisingly, no.

But I also think that it’s an asset to you.
Yeah, definitely. Being able to watch yourself on TV. In this competition, I got to cook for a lot of amazing chefs, got to eat my food and critique my food, and where else in the world can you go for six weeks and cook for that many amazing chefs and have them tell you, speak to you, about your food and the way you work. It’s a huge learning experience.

Do you have advice for future contestants?
Yeah, do your homework. I never did my homework on what Tom and everybody likes and dislikes. In the first challenge, I served Tom okra and truffle oil on the same plate. Those are two things he hates.

Link: http://nymag.com/daily/food/2009/01/top_chef_exit_interview_episod_5.html

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #247 on: January 29, 2009, 09:20:22 PM »
An interesting article:

Top Chef 5: Conference Call with Jeff McInnis

All season on Top Chef 5, watching Jeff McInnis has been a chance to see how one's will or ego can sometimes get in the way of the one's own innate talent. This isn't using “ego” in the usual sense of the word, i.e., conceit or arrogance. More the Eastern take on the concept: the idea we have about ourselves and how the world should be that sometimes prevents us from seeing how the world actually is.

In Jeff's case, it seemed like his fixation on presenting a complex dish that would showcase his broad range of skills and ideas sometimes meant the underlying quality of his flavors was lost to the judges in the noise. In the episode last night, that battle was finally lost according to those judges, and he was sent packing.

Jeff spoke today about his time on the show and what he's doing next.

Jeff is still clearly bummed about his exit, saying he's a better chef than this represented and he had expected to make it to the final. He seems very surprised that Fabio wasn't the one sent home, noting that the judges had very specific execution issues with Fabio (the overcooking of the venison, the overdressed salad), whereas his critique seemed vague. He noted it was hard to take away any improvements when the most pointed comment seemed to be that he had a “watered-down version of a ceviche.”

Regardless of what went down between the two of them as contestants, Jeff and Fabio are still friends after the show. Fabio was a good guy to bunk with in the Top Chef 5 house, saying he wasn't a “slob.” He also shared that Fabio cuts his own hair, clearly a man of many talents.

They've stayed friends after the show. Both are working on cookbooks, and Jeff said Fabio's helped him with his.

The cookbook Jeff has been working on is called Natural Course. While his location in Miami precludes the possibility of going entirely organic, he cooks with organic products and the book is focused on “clean, good food.” He says it's divided into chapters of “Farm, Ocean, Garden” and a “Final Chapter” that has desserts and cocktails.

I asked him about his penchant for using a savory sorbet as part of the meal, an element that seemed to go over well when he used it in the competition. He said the dining room in his current restaurant at the Ritz-Carleton in South Beach is outdoors on the beach. So when it's a hot summer day, incorporating the cool element of a sorbet is refreshing to his diners. He also likes making concoctions that transform as they melt, noting a sorbet that melts into a sort of vinaigrette on a salad. He uses liquid nitrogen for this, so doesn't need the sugar, salt or alcohol usually used to keep sorbets smooth.

Speaking of Miami, he said he so far hasn't heard any flack about not winning the challenge for his hometown. He said being on the show has seemed to bring positive attention so far to his restaurant. He notes that he never got any of Toby Young's little bon mot criticisms, and thinks that could be tough to deal with if you have customers coming in talking about your “cat food” entrees.

He didn't find Toby as abrasive as some of the other chefs did, but he did still like Gail Simmons better. He found Padma Lakshmi to have a good palate and to be intelligent. In addition to Fabio, he's also rooting for Hosea Rosenberg to regain his focus and pull ahead in the competition. He said it was fun to compete against the other chefs, but by that point in the competition, the schedule and uncertainty meant you kind of just had to be ready to “hunt a unicorn and put it on a grill.”

He would consider doing television again in the future, but for now, he's focusing on his current job and his book. He might want to open his own place someday, but right now there are a lot of new spots in Miami, and he's not sure this is the right economic climate in which to try a new venture.

Jeff's cookbook Natural Course will be out this summer, so if you can't make it to Miami, you can pick up the book and try out his flavors yourself.

Link to the article: http://www.buddytv.com/articles/top-chef/top-chef-5-conference-call-wit-26019.aspx

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #248 on: January 29, 2009, 09:25:50 PM »
An interview with Jeff:

Top Chef Exit Interview: Jeff Is Cut But The Sorbets Live On!

Wednesday’s Top Chef saw the exit of Cheftestant Jeff McInnis after failing to wow the judges during the Top Chef Bowl Challenge. Fancast talked to Jeff in a press call today to see how he’s dealing with a self-proclaimed decade’s worth of disappointment ahead of him. Luckily, he’s got a lot to look forward to in his home city of Miami, with a new book in the works, and plenty of appreciative customers ready to gobble up his infamous sorbets. Read on for more on his take on his shocking departure, living with Fabio (who doubles as a hair dresser!), surprising challenges (is grilled unicorn next?), and who he’s rooting for from Miami.

You seemed pretty bummed last night at the end. How was it to watch it?

Yeah I was pretty bummed. I think usually everyone is a little upset whenever they get kicked off something like that. Watching it was just a reminder. It happened a little while ago for me, but, what can you do.

You said that you were really disappointed with yourself and it was going to stick with you for at least a decade. Has any of that pain worn off now?

It will definitely be something I remember for a while. If I could go back and change things there’s a few things I would change, but I wouldn’t change my style or anything I did. But I was pretty let down that I didn’t pull it off. I thought I would have at least made it into the finale. I know myself and I think I’m a better chef than I portrayed. You’re put in a situation and you’re cooking your butt off all the time and you’re stressed out, and away from home, and not even using your own toothbrush half the time and you’re on your feet. You’re just out of your element and I guess I got caught off guard and I was kicked off way before I was ready to be kicked off and I’m pretty bummed about it.

Has being on the show changed the way you approach creating new dishes? Are you still just as imaginative, or have you toned it down based on what judges said?

No, I haven’t really changed what I’ve done. The judges didn’t really give me enough critique for me to change anything so it was a difficult part of being let go. Fabio knew that he overcooked the venison; it was obvious, they said, “hey, you overcooked the venison, you put cheddar cheese with venison, you put on heavy vinaigrette that weighed down the lettuce and it was soggy” - those are direct critiques, so when someone turns to me and says, you gave a watered down version of ceviche, it’s like, okay, well I didn’t use water so what is he referring to? He didn’t say it was too salty, or too sweet, or overcooked, or too hot, too cold, so there’s really not a whole lot for me to go on with the critique that was given as to why I was kicked off. Did I do a lot more steps than I had to do? Maybe, but I’m not going to change what I did. Because the food I cook is the reason I am where I am today.

So it was a pretty big shock then, that it was you and not Fabio?

Yeah. I was surprised. As I said, I mean, those were all points - you overcooked this, overdressed this. I think Scott said something about the cheddar cheese with the dish. There were four main points they made to Fabio, and I think they showed all four on the show last night, and they really ripped him for a long time. You saw him get into a pretty heated conversation with Scott there. I guess I thought I was gonna scoot by on that one and that it was going to be Fabio. I mean, there was a little feeling in the back of my throat always that I was going home, but I thought it was going to be Fabio.

You and Fabio were roommates; what was the experience like with him? Are you guys still in touch?

Yeah, Fabio is a good friend of mine, I just saw him recently. Good guy, I like him a lot. Just a hilarious all around funny guy, good cook. He just finished a book and so did I, and he’s definitely been helping me with that a little bit and getting it to a publisher. I can’t say enough positive things about the guy; he’s a good person to have as a roommate too. Very clean, not a slob, well dressed, takes showers, and he cuts his own hair too by the way!

Tell us about the book. What’s the concept?

It’s called A Natural Course. I use a lot of organics. I can’t say the restaurant I’m in now uses a lot of because it’s impossible here in Miami. In Northern California you could base a restaurant off that, but here it’s difficult to get everything organic. So it’s called A Natural Course and the first chapter is Farm, the second is Ocean, the third is Garden, and the last chapter is called The Final Chapter, which goes into cocktails and desserts. It just talks about taking the elements from Mother Earth and presenting them on a plate. It’s a lot of clean, good, food. It’s a lot of stuff I’ve done over the years; dishes that I grew up with, dishes that I’ve always cooked, dishes that I love; it should be out in the summer.

You mentioned a dessert section in the book and it seems you really liked to use savory sorbets. What do you feel that they add to your dishes?

The sorbets I do at the restaurant are a little different from what I’ll be doing in the book. At the restaurant I have liquid nitrogen so I can make desserts that don’t have the high levels of sugar. In order to keep a sorbet or ice cream soft, you usually have to load it with sugar or salt or alcohol, and when you use liquid nitrogen you can do a lot of different things. On the menu right now I have a goat cheese sorbet, a yogurt sorbet, cucumber sorbet, the sangria sorbet, and those are all served as savory dishes. I’m in Miami and the dining room is outside on the beach and the guests get really hot, so I like to serve stuff that not only tastes good and gets you full, but it entertains you, and cools you down, and makes you comfortable. So there will be a big section on sorbets in the book and how to make savory sorbets, and I think that’s something that’s not in a whole lot of cook books, and it’s something most chefs don’t touch on. Stefan liked to make fun of me for it all the time but no one else really hit on me for it, like the “Top Scallop” thing with Jamie. And I wasn’t making the same thing all the time. A scallop is a scallop. A sorbet made of avocado or sangria is two different things and can be used as sauces to melt over things. There’s an olive oil sorbet that I do that has a little bit of vinegar in it and when it gets out to the guest and melts over the salad it’s a wonderful vinaigrette. It’s like the plate transforms in front of you.

What was it like having the All-Star Chefs there? Was it surprising?

Yeah, that was different. Nothing gets too surprising on the show though, they could tell you to run off into the forest and hunt a unicorn and put it on the grill; you never know with this show. There are always surprises. So, yeah, it was a surprise to have them come in. It was good and fun to meet some people from the old show and to talk a little bit with them.

Who do you think has the potential to win it all? Who do you WANT to win it all?

I think everybody has the potential to win it all. All those guys are really talented. Hosea and I became good friends on the show, Fabio and I became good friends on the show, so I’m pulling for both those guys. I don’t want to say Hosea is the underdog by any means but, for some reason, he’s just lost his focus as you can see on the show right now. So I’m pulling for him, hoping he gets his head back in the game. But there’s nobody to be underestimated. It will be a race to the finish, that’s for sure. Everybody is definitely talented.

What has your reception been like back home? Was it tough losing on a Miami challenge?

I guess the general public just saw the show so I haven’t had anyone throw a brick through my window yet. I haven’t heard anything. All my cooks and staff came in and said, “Sorry you got kicked off.” But, no one really thought, “Wow, she made a better ceviche than you.”

What about the show as a whole? What kind of responses are you getting?

I’d say at least half the people that come in, know about Top Chef and the show, and come in asking to speak to me. It’s definitely brought a lot of clientele in and has been a positive turn of events. The show does well and is always ranked very high in the ratings.

Do you think part of the reason they kept Fabio on is because he has this big, funny, TV personality?

I don’t know if I should touch that one too much. I can definitely say Fabio is a funny guy, he’s hilarious, and he’s good on TV. I mean, you see him, everyone likes him, and he’s a very likeable guy. That’s pretty much all I can say bout that one.

On the videos afterwards, you talked about the male judges not being able to look you in the eye after they asked you to pack your knives and go. Can you tell me about how you felt?

What if I didn’t talk about that one so much? I think I might stay away from that one too, I’m sorry.

What was the general reaction among the contestants to Toby Young coming on?

I liked him. He seemed to always like my food. Obviously he didn’t vote for me on this past show, but I thought the guy was very intelligent. I did a little research on him after I got off the show. Very smart guy. Has he ever been in the kitchen and cooked and known what it takes to cook? No, but then again neither did Gail. Gail is very intelligent also and for some reason I liked Gail a lot better than him. A lot of people thought he was very harsh and rough. He definitely pulled out the drama and had plenty of smart things to say and had a big character. I didn’t mind him at all, I liked him a lot, and I thought he had some important things to say. He was definitely witty and quick, but there were plenty who didn’t like him. Maybe scared of him because he was so harsh. His first show, as you saw, he made comments like, “this tastes like cat food,” “this is where the weapons of mass destruction are.” Those are the kinds of comments that hurt a chef when you’re at your restaurant and someone comes in and says, “hey, I’ll have the chicken sandwich but leave the cat food to the side,” or something like that. That’s the kind of stuff that would turn you into hating him down the road and I hope that hasn’t happened to Melissa, or Rhadika, or anybody. Those are harsh comments that I think those chefs will carry around for a while and they have every right to be mad. You have too much salt, or too much spice, did you taste that tuna? It tastes fishy - those are critiques, not, this tastes like cat food. But it is good TV right? It’s funny, unless you’re on the other end of it.

What about Padma? Did you think she was a fair judge?

Yeah, she’s a great talent. Very intelligent and she definitely serves her purpose and does a great job. I liked her; she seemed to always like my food and she always liked the spices and different elements I brought to the table. She had made several comments throughout the show that I could cook globally and do a lot of different cuisines and I definitely felt some respect from Padma.

What’s next for you? Do you plan to stay in Miami?

Yeah, I just bought a house recently, and I’m at the Ritz-Carlton still. I plan to stay here for a little while; the Ritz has blessed me and let me do this book here, and hopefully it will go well. So I’m just going to stay here cooking at the Ritz-Carlton in South Beach and put my book out there. I’m not going to try and open my own restaurant right now. Not today, today the economy is not what it should be for a young guy like me to go out there and start throwing around new restaurants. Miami just had a lot of new restaurants open, and if it wasn’t for that, maybe I would be thinking about it, but I think there’s a lot on Miami’s plate right now. Maybe four or five years down the road, we’ll see how it goes.

Would you want to do TV again?

Definitely. Perhaps one day. I’m happy right now but if something came along, who knows.

Link to the article: http://www.fancast.com/blogs/interviews/top-chef-exit-interview-jeff-is-cut-but-the-sorbets-live-on/

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #249 on: January 29, 2009, 10:22:51 PM »
An interesting article:

Top Chef's Jeff Tells Who Else Hosea's Been Kissing

An unsensational seviche sent Southern boy Jeff McInnis back to the beach at the end of last night's episode of Top Chef.

I caught up with Jeff earlier today on Florida's South Beach, where he's chef de cuisine at the Ritz-Carlton's DiLido Beach Club, to get the lowdown on his elimination. Like a lot of fans, he remains baffled by the judges' decision, and he also reveals why he thinks the kitchen wasn't the only place where things got hot and steamy for Hosea and Leah.

So, what was the first thing that went through you mind when Padma told you to pack your knives?
Not much. I kind of had a sensation of the whole thing. I kind of had this eerie, clairvoyant feeling all day that something wasn’t right.

You definitely think you should have stayed, right?
Of course.

Why?
Well, there wasn’t a whole lot of critique on my dish. And that’s the only thing that I can’t sleep about. If Tom had said, “Your dish had too much salt in it,” or “Your dish didn’t have enough salt in it,” or "Your dish was sweet” or “sour” or “bitter” or “too cold,” then I would have some critique to go on...The only critiquing he said was that [the seviche] was a watered-down version—which is funny, because I didn’t even use any water. It was very vague...Whereas, for Fabio, they were like, “Dude, you put cheddar cheese on game. The dressing was way too much.” And they said to Stefan, “Your salad tasted awful, and you didn’t have enough full flavor, you didn’t have enough spice.” Those are hard-core critiques that I didn’t get.

What was your take on Hosea and Leah's love affair, so to speak?
I think they just forgot there were cameras around [laughs]. Be realistic. We’re all adults here. People have a few drinks and they wind up kissing each other. I knew the cameras weren’t on me, and Hosea and I would go make out from time to time [laughs]. But, seriously, he made a mistake. People make mistakes...It’s their lives, and I think that they both regret that that’s what wound up being focused on. America’s now focused on them and how they cheated on their boyfriends and girlfriends. Nobody was a homewrecker or anything.

So you think it was kind of lighthearted, drunken fun?
It's like, have you ever been to jail? On this show, you’re locked up for six weeks, and I mean, Leah’s not ugly. They had a spark between them, and, naturally, something’s bound to happen

Link to the article: http://ca.eonline.com/uberblog/marc_malkin/b81483_top_chefs_jeff_tells_who_else_hoseas.html