Author Topic: TAR 24 EP 5 "Can't Make Fish Bite" Colombo, Sri Lanka  (Read 30973 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 24 EP 5 "Can't Make Fish Bite" Colombo, Sri Lanka
« on: March 16, 2014, 11:10:05 AM »
Location Confirmation from MrDS, and title from RaceUntilWeDie !! Thanks guys!!

I can't screencap it but TVGuide has Leg 5 to be in Colombo, Sri Lanka :tup:

Episode 5 title is Can't Make Fish Bite.

From CBS:

THE RACE CONTINUES IN SRI LANKA WHERE TEAMS STRUGGLE TO GET A BITE WHEN FISHING FOR THEIR NEXT CLUE, ON “THE AMAZING RACE,” SUNDAY, MARCH 23
             “Can’t Make Fish Bite” – The Race continues in Sri Lanka where teams struggle to get a bite when fishing for their next clue, on the All-Star edition of THE AMAZING RACE,
Sunday, March 23
(8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:07:38 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 24 EP 5 "Can't Make Fish Bite" Colombo, Sri Lanka
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:15:41 AM »
Saved for Vids
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 11:16:07 AM »
The AMAZING Neobie Story!

Long story coming up!

A story of seaplanes and cash prizes, or
How I (kinda) got Margie and Luke eliminated

7.47pm: Margie and Luke. I was on transit and had just arrived by bus from the Budget Terminal at 7.35pm, and they were the first team I saw. They give a confessional. Well Margie gives a confessional. Couldn't hear what they were saying. Checkered shirt and red T-shirt are producer types, you'll see them again later.

Around 8.10pm: I'm at the Jetstar counter at check-in row M and quite a few others recognise Luke/Margie, yelling "I'm a fan!" and "Good luck!" while bad-surreptitiously taking photos on their phones. The cameraman and soundman don't chase them off, which struck me as weird.

Around 8.20pm: Brendon/Rachel run in and Rachel does her frantic thing: "Where's Singapore Airlines?! They told us it was check-in row M!" (It was actually check-in row L.) A worker at Jetstar points them the right way and they run over. (It was the same check-in island, just on the other side.) Luke chides: "Don't help them!"

11.17pm: It took a while to get through customs and find my way to the right gate, but here's red T-shirt production guy again at the gate to the direct Colombo flight.

That's a really long gap before I finally decided to go through customs, huh? Did I just go to McDonald's and chill while the race was happening all around me?

Not really. I was witnessing (and inadvertently contributing to) the end of Margie and Luke.

I'd promised Petr the cameraman I wasn't like the other rabid fans, tweeting and Facebooking everything in real time. You could tell how he was merely tolerating my presence, hating me secretly on the inside. "I know you're on Facebook right now," he chided at one point. (I know Petr is spelled with a few invisible vowels because I'm a creepy stalker. Sorry Petr.)

I decided to wait a while before spilling the beans. Choosing to tell the rest of the story now because:
1. It's Christmas and maybe this could count as a present. Or maybe just a story to keep you guys entertained.
2. The CBS execs are probably on holiday right now and won't care enough now to hate me.
3. The order of the first six boots is confirmed and public, and the placings of the Final Five have been spoiled by Cleo.
4. They've probably done the editing for Episode 5 by now, so either I'm in or not in the episode.

Back to the story. So I was connecting through Kuala Lumpur and already had tickets on a flight home the next morning, but when I heard the teams were in Malaysia and calculated (with Jobby's help) when they were likely to leave, I decided to stay at the airport that night instead of heading to a hotel, just to see if I got lucky.

Margie/Luke was indeed the first team I saw, and the only one I saw for a while. They were at Malaysia Airlines trying to get tickets, but could only get on standby. Another direct flight leaving the next morning was full too. I would have bolted and kept looking for options, but Margie stopped to give an interview. (Maybe Petr made her stop and answer his questions.) Precious minutes ticking.

Peach has a policy of non-intervention, but:
1. I'm not Peach.
2. She broke her own policy by helping Kaylani.
3. I wanted to be on TV.
4. Margie/Luke were in trouble and I could help.

Knowing yelling anything at Luke would... fall on deaf ears, I turned to what came to mind next. "Mrs Adams!" I shouted. Faux pas: Margie had remarried a long while back and now goes by Mrs O'Donnell. She corrected me later on camera. They came to me before Petr and Jerry the soundman followed and I flashed Luke a quick "RFF" in sign language. (Hope I did it right and didn't silently call him a "little bitch".)

"Hi, sorry for scaring you. Do you guys want some help? I have a laptop with me we can use to look up flights."

Margie took up the offer while Luke looked confused. Petr asked Margie in his interview voice, "What's happening here? Who is this?" I searched for an excuse, as did Margie. "We just met this gentleman who said he could help us."

I gave Margie and Luke the equivalent of $15 to get themselves a guidebook, partly because I wanted to help and partly because that'd help me find out where they were going. Luke came back with a Sri Lanka Lonely Planet.

With the passing of Apskip, I am now the resident flight-searcher of RFF (and by extension the TAR spoiling world), so I pulled up an option via Singapore arriving at 12.15am, 1h15 before the direct flight for which they were on standby. The second leg didn't have the required four seats (Margie/Luke/Petr/Jerry), so I found another connection, Emirates via Singapore arriving at 1.40am. Knowing full well that there was going to be a bunching in Sri Lanka, all we had to do was to get them into Colombo before sunrise. It was a strange set-up for a flight; usually they'd release them for a morning arrival. But KL was a last-minute leg replacing something else, so we've got to anticipate some weirdness.

Emirates had the tickets and we were ready to book. The problem: the website requires the input of an email, and Petr wouldn't allow it. "What if I use my own email?" I offered. Petr said no. How the hell are you supposed to book things online without an email? Tried Travelocity, TAR's favourite online travel agent. Required an email too. What the hell? I'd just watched an episode where Leo/Jamal were using Travelocity to get from Vienna to Abu Dhabi. (Turns out they didn't book it on the website, and went to an airline counter to buy the tickets.) All the product placement on the show is fake.

So the spoiler earlier that evening that everyone ended up ignoring? Was legit. It was indeed a travel agent where teams were directed to go buy tickets. Margie said they tried looking for it, but the taxi got lost. (It's not that obscure a location, their driver sucked.) They gave up and decided to head straight to the airport. Big mistake.

Margie asked if I had seen anyone else. Negative. I counter-asked if they were ahead of the pack. "No, we're dead last."

The 9.25pm Jetstar flight to Singapore was leaving soon, and Margie refused to chance it at Singapore's Changi Airport without a ticket already to Colombo. (New rules dictate that teams may only buy one set of tickets to their destination, and may not change unless something happens beyond their control.) We begged the Jetstar folks to hold tickets for them to Singapore (we had fifteen minutes before ticketing closed) while we tried to find a way to buy the Emirates tickets. Their counter didn't open until 10.10pm - too late. We tried calling the travel agency, but we didn't have a phone around. (I didn't have a Malaysia calling card with me and couldn't help.) To add to all the mayhem there was no wi-fi at the Jetstar counter, so we had to run around the terminal like idiots searching for an internet signal.

I asked Margie if she would try heading to Singapore, and if they couldn't catch the Emirates flight they could double back to Kuala Lumpur later that night to catch a flight the next morning. (It wouldn't hurt to try!) She said the rules didn't allow for that. Darned rules. Luke meanwhile was... not being incredibly useful.

The flight was closing... Margie was panicking... And then Petr helpfully added that they needed at least an hour to go through customs with their cameras. Margie was deflated. She gave up on the Jetstar-Emirates itinerary.

Back to Malaysia Airlines where I tried looking for more flights. There was a feasible route via Chennai arriving at 2.10am, but they only had two seats available. It wasn't about Margie and Luke now, I just wanted to find a flight to prove my prowess! Luke was in give-up mode, and didn't do much with the laptop I offered him. (Luke, I know you're reading this. From a friend to another, you give up too easily! Man up a little!)

A volleying rally ensued, me at the counter with two laptops and a smartphone (one on flightstats.com, one on Expedia, one on Travelocity), yelling out airport codes to the check-in lady two counters down while she replied with how many seats were available on each: "MAA at 10.15pm?!" "COK at 10.25pm?!" "TRZ at 10.30pm?!" Petr swung his camera left and right. It'd look fantastic if the shot made it onto the show. Full, full, full. I put together one or two three-leg itineraries, but Margie turned them down. "It's too dangerous."

All the options were exhausted. We sat down in front of Malaysian Airlines waiting for standby seats to open up. I chatted a little bit with Margie, attempted a conversation on Microsoft Notepad with Luke, and even tried to talk to likes-to-keep-to-himself Petr. Petr's a really cool guy. He climbed Everest and all! (Well 3/4 of it. But that's still cool.) Petr and Jerry eventually left to get a burger or something, but Margie said she couldn't reveal most stuff because *pointing to her chest* "I've got a microphone here picking up everything..." I ended up complaining to her about the lacklustre route and the crappy way they put together the KL leg at the last minute. She agreed, but noted that "we had fun." I reminded her that Luke hated China.

Margie and I did a little research onto where they were going once in Colombo. Find a "sil reddha" (probably a typo, a "silk reddha" perhaps) at Mulagandakuti Viharaya Welisara, then bring it to Gangaramaya Temple for a blessing from a monk. We circled both locations in the Lonely Planet. (The first location was hard to find, even online, but I got an approximate location.)

Malaysian Airlines finally beckoned for Margie and Luke. They were sent to the airline office to speak to the "boss," who got into a tiff with Petr over him filming them in the office. Barred outside the room (but with the airline lady not knowing they had hidden microphones), Petr shot the scene from behind the glass window and hiding behind some potted plants. Jerry didn't have quite as much work. He put on his headphones and waited outside the office, listening to their every word.

Half an hour ensued. The result: nothing. The best flight that remained was another standby flight leaving the next morning getting in at 9.45am. But trying to get on that flight means giving up on the sure option, which was an AirAsia flight leaving even later, from a different terminal (15min away by bus), arriving at 10.10am. Margie decided to play it safe, and I taught them how to get to the Budget Terminal. (I apologised to Petr and Jerry for making them sleep in that grungy terminal. The main terminal's much, much nicer.)

I reminded Margie that the last time TAR went to Sri Lanka, it was bunch after bunch after bunch. After hugs and a farewell shot on Petr's camera, I went through immigration to find the other teams.

PS. The AirAsia flight was delayed the next day, arriving only at 11.34am. They were so screwed.

PPS. Hindsight 20/20. What could I have done to save them? Force them on the Jetstar flight, get their credit card details, then book their Emirates tickets from Singapore to Colombo while they were in the air. Petr wouldn't have been around to enforce the no-email rule, and Margie/Luke would have been able to pick up their tickets once in Singapore. Oh well. If I couldn't save them, I don't think many people could have.

PPPS. Holy crap. I wrote this much?

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,29543.msg964656.html#msg964656
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:13:59 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 02:17:42 PM »
Leg 5: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia → Colombo, Sri Lanka

FILM DATES: November 23-24
AIR DATE: March 23

ROUTE INFO:  Fly to Colombo, Sri Lanka

FLIGHTS: KL airport sightings by Neobie begin here, summary here, additional info is here

ROUTE INFO:  Mulagandakuti Viharaya Welisara
 !  TASK:   Bring "sil reddha" to Gangaramaya Temple to be blessed by a monk

ROUTE INFO:  Travel via train to Galle

ROUTE INFO:  King Coconut Stand, Koggala

ROUTE INFO:  Unknown
 !  TASK:   Pole Fishing

ROUTE INFO:  Unknown
 !  TASK:   Keep plates spinning during dance

ROUTE INFO:  Trendy Connection
SPEED BUMP:  Print 15 shirts with Sri Lankan flag

ROADBLOCK:  Sew together a shirt

PITSTOP: Colombo Rowing Club 

:yes:  SAFE: First five listed in Pitstop arrival order

?  AT RISK:

X  ELIMINATED:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:20:06 PM by ovalorange »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 02:34:30 PM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 02:34:41 PM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 02:35:21 PM »
saved
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 10:14:36 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 02:50:47 PM »
Preview!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/w2g18TnjUdo?version=3&amp;amp;hl=es_" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/w2g18TnjUdo?version=3&amp;amp;hl=es_</a>
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:32:46 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 02:51:16 PM »
Caps from the preview!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:42:26 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 02:52:10 PM »
Second part of the caps.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:46:28 PM by Alenaveda »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 04:04:18 PM »
Feel free to post after the episode airs! After 900 PM, DST!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 09:47:15 PM »
Preview and caps up!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 09:57:04 PM »
Natalie & Nadiya are probably regretting their head-butt at Canton Tower right now. :snics:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 10:17:33 PM »
Another MUSIC task when one contestant is deaf? Poor planning!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 10:25:04 PM »
Another MUSIC task when one contestant is deaf? Poor planning!

I think this is kind of dancing task than music task, and the most important thing might be spin and balance the dishes.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 10:29:35 PM »
Dancing generally requires listening to a beat....
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
Dancing generally requires listening to a beat....

Yeah, but at least you can count the step, right? I remember back in TAR 14, there was dancing task in final 5. Cara & Jaime did that while everyone else did the writing Chinese words. Of course this is kind of unfair but not too bad as DJ thing.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 11:13:40 PM »
Brendon and Rachel's preview shows them running for the connection in Singapore's Changi Airport of course...

Offline Prama

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Later!
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 12:30:34 AM »
New preview from CBS

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hiZf8AIgpsI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hiZf8AIgpsI</a>

In exotic Sri Lanka teams will spin it, fish it, sew it, and one team may lose it!
Don't miss the closest leg yet. The Amazing Race airs Sunday at 8/7c. Only CBS

Detour: Fishing or Spinning Plate?
RB: Sewing a shirt? Exactly the same task (and location?) as  TARA 4 and TARAus 1 RB? :lol: :res:

and let's see how 'close' this leg will be :lol:
Prama's Member Game Profile
Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 12:32:03 AM »
New preview from CBS

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hiZf8AIgpsI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hiZf8AIgpsI</a>

In exotic Sri Lanka teams will spin it, fish it, sew it, and one team may lose it!
Don't miss the closest leg yet. The Amazing Race airs Sunday at 8/7c. Only CBS

Detour: Fishing or Spinning Plate?
RB: Sewing a shirt? Just like TARA 4 and TARAus 1 RB? :lol: :res:

and let's see how 'close' this leg will be :lol:

If this goes down to Margie/Luke and the Globes again and Margie/Luke lose again, I will scream.

But go Brenchel <3333333

Offline Lutpay

• RFF Full Member
  • #FishbachOuttaWater
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 01:22:34 AM »
That's just lazy if the task is reused.

I also notice Brenchel exiting a train which hints at the leg not ending in Colombo.

From spoilers, this leg will end at Colombo Rowing Club.

My speculation:
Route info: Temple (with HoO)
Travel by train to somewhere outside Colombo
Detour - Fish or Dance
Back to Colombo
Roadblock - Sewing (probably at Trendy Connection, Colombo)
Pitstop - Colombo Rowing Club

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 01:30:02 AM »
They have in my opinion, an underrated leg in Sri Lanka to try and be better than nearly 20 seasons ago.
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 04:26:43 AM »
Nothing will save this episode unless Nadiya and Natalie are the pit-stop greeters.

Which we know they aren't. I'm gonna meet Neobie to view this episode together and I think he might want to prepare a packet of tissue for me when my favourite team this season is goneeeeeee.

PLUS. We only see Margie and Luke collecting the first clue. Which might as well be a clue that directs them straight to the pit-stop since they are so far behind.

I just gotta say Brendon and Rachel choosing to do the Singapore Airlines connection is probably one of the smartest decision they will make on this race. Singapore Airlines is known to make it even possible for people to make connections which are as short as only 15 minutes (I've heard even 5) and if they receive news that the flight that some of their passengers are on has already arrived, they will wait for them no matter what and ensure they make their connecting flight.

Over here, our airport counter shows gate closing almost as early as 30 minutes before flight departure and therefore, 'Gate Closing' is not really 'Gate Closing' but just to hush people to hurry up and go to the boarding gate. Otherwise, how else do you get an efficient system and the title of the best airport in the world? :funny:

I would rather they focus on Margie and Luke's flight drama to be honest. And really, Brendon and Rachel are easily the stars of this season already. <333333333

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 05:46:52 AM »
Sorry for the delay, the timeline is now updated on page one!

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 06:06:25 AM »
 :conf: I hope we get to see Neobie on this leg :)
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back