Author Topic: TAR16 Media Thread  (Read 89617 times)

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: TAR16 Media Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2010, 06:04:18 AM »
damn!  And I heard that news right now on cnn and bbc.  Hopefully, Phil will make an announcement for the condolences of the Chile earthquake this Sunday on the 3rd episode of TAR 16 just like what he did on Sri Lanka after the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami and New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.  We'll pray for the safety of the Chileans. :(

and here's the news from bbc online: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8540289.stm

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2010, 08:54:13 AM »
 :(  the TAR curse strikes again?

Huge earthquake rocks Chile - story here

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2010, 09:01:07 AM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2010, 10:06:45 AM »
Sam McMillen is doing a weekly blog about TAR16 and here is the link to his blog on the first two episodes:

http://www.realitywanted.com/newsitem/2939-the-amazing-race-16-mcmillens-moments-episodes-1-and-2

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2010, 11:04:53 AM »
Ronnie Talbott of Big Brother 11 blogs on the first episode of TAR16....

click on link below:

http://www.realitynewsonline.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl?mode=1&article=article11017.art&page=1

AmazingDT

« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2010, 11:18:01 AM »
THIS IS HORRIBLE! 3 MAJOR EARTHQUAKES IN THE FIRST 2 MONTHS OF THE NEW YEAR!

JAPAN
HAITI
CHILE
 :'(

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2010, 03:00:03 PM »
3. “Amazing Race” (CBS). The Cowboys may be yokels, but they’re smart and fun yokels who almost single-handedly made this a great episode. (Their cowboy uniform just kills me, I love it. Can they really run the entire race in big hats, collared shirts, jeans and boots?) Their idea of finding connecting buses was brilliant, and one I wish more teams would think of more often. It was so, so sweet watching the Coalition of the Stupid (Brent & Caite and Jordan & Jeff) miss not one but two buses due to disastrous decision-making (too bad their lead was so wide, I can’t wait for both teams to be gone). The Detectives (who haven’t been too observant) caught a huge break in passing Grandma and Granddaughter. I want to like them, but they really need to pick it up or they won’t be long for this race. And the one thing we all learned from this episode: Don’t mess with Chilean cows. Man, they were ornery. (And poopy — how hilarious were the blurred-out, ah, excretions?) The insurance department at CBS corporate headquarters must’ve freaked when they saw all the racers getting kicked. Luckily Grandma had a thick skull. (BTW, why were Jody & Shannon so far behind? It seemed like they just got a late bus and didn’t bother looking for an earlier one. Their lack of urgency bugged me. It’s a raaaaace!) Gorgeous scenery too, that solidified southern Chile’s ranking on my list of places I have to visit someday.

http://tv.blogs.pressdemocrat.com/12665/weekly-wrapup-25/?pa=2&tc=pg

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2010, 11:31:57 AM »
How well do you trust his writings?

The Amazing Race 16 (CBS) 8 p.m.

The nine remaining teams travel from Chile to Argentina.

Murtz says: Not looking good for the Big Brother team.

source: http://tv.insidepulse.com/2010/02/27/iptv-weekend-the-amazing-race-16-desperate-housewives-cbs-

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2010, 12:06:19 PM »
How well do you trust his writings?

The Amazing Race 16 (CBS) 8 p.m.

The nine remaining teams travel from Chile to Argentina.

Murtz says: Not looking good for the Big Brother team.

source: http://tv.insidepulse.com/2010/02/27/iptv-weekend-the-amazing-race-16-desperate-housewives-cbs-

That seems to be all Murtz said!

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2010, 12:11:53 PM »
Victor's blog on ep. #3

Victor’s Amazing Race Blog: It’s All About Preparation

Sometimes there is nothing you can do to fight fate. This week, the nine teams remaining in the 16th installment of The Amazing Race traveled to Bariloche, Argentina, for the third leg, where teams played five-card stud with a gnome, roped cattle made of hay, and either searched for buried treasure or played polo with wooden horses. In a leg designed for cowboys, it seemed fated that the cowboys Jet and Cord, who took the lead last week, would win — and they did, quite easily. It also seemed like no matter what mom-trepreneurs Monique and Shawne did, they were doomed. So, spoiler alert! In a leg far too physical for them, Monique and Shawne were eliminated. I was impressed, however, by the moms’ persistence and support for each other.

In hindsight, there really was no question Jet and Cord would win. That said, I don’t think the leg was unfair. As Jet and Cord put it, just as there’s no reason for them to complain about the advantage Carole and Brandy get as fluent Spanish speakers with the first three legs being in Latin America, others shouldn’t complain about the advantage the cowboys get in “cowboy” tasks. (Of course, I have to take this position since my sister and I got to compete in China as fluent Chinese speakers.)

So in a leg whose outcome was more an issue of fate than any mistakes, I’m going to focus my blog this week on mistakes in terms of race preparation.

Anyone who has studied The Amazing Race knows that you have to learn how to drive a manual transmission! It is laughable how bad Dan and Jordan are at driving stick. But I have to call out Brent. He should have learned how to drive stick, instead of relying on Caite! Teams know that on the Race, one person will need to be the driver and the other person will need to be the navigator. Since they know Brent is “horrible” at navigation, he should have learned how to drive stick. It is also clear Brent does not like the role of navigator since as soon as they get lost, his first instinct is to yell at Caite to figure out where they were supposed to go. (Of course, the irony here is that Caite is the one who was ridiculed nationally about geography.)

However, the biggest mistake I see in preparation this week lies with the Big Brother team — as much as I like them. As this leg highlights, Jordan defers to Jeff, who makes almost all of the decisions for the team. Most of the time, this works. Jeff makes really good decisions (like trying a different bus route last week). This week, though, he made really bad decisions. Even though he found the loot quickly, he kept taking it to the wrong person. He couldn’t figure it out even when the answer was thrown in his face — he didn’t know to take it to the train station even when Joe asked him, “Where’s the train station?” (Jeff realizes how stupid their decisions were and declares he and Jordan definitely should not reproduce.) But I don’t blame Jeff. Given fatigue and stress, there will be times where people will not be able to think properly. So I blame Jordan. As a teammate, she is supposed to be the person who steps up when her partner cannot figure things out. Going into the Race, though, it seems like Jordan and Jeff decided that Jeff would always take the lead. Though it’s good to have a leader, you cannot expect the leader to be perfect, and in those moments of imperfection, Jordan needs to be prepared to step up and contribute. Luckily, it did not prove disastrous here, but it may in the future.

http://tvwatch.people.com/2010/03/01/victor%E2%80%99s-amazing-race-blog-its-all-about-preparation/

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2010, 04:00:33 PM »
One of the problems with Victor's analysis is this. Teams have to have known from the detailed instructions that came with the clue (which some teams were shown reading) who they were supposed to find, and there's every indication that Jeff nor Jordan read them completely or carefully.

Had they done so, they would have finished the leg sooner.
-- theschnauzers

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2010, 04:44:48 PM »
The only cowboy specific task was he roping task. None of the other tasks were specific to cowboys. Jet even missed on the first throw too.
Matthew 7:15

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2010, 07:33:40 AM »
One of the problems with Victor's analysis is this. Teams have to have known from the detailed instructions that came with the clue (which some teams were shown reading) who they were supposed to find, and there's every indication that Jeff nor Jordan read them completely or carefully.

Had they done so, they would have finished the leg sooner.

And what about Joe not reading the clue properly.  He watch/compass could have been a directional asset and he could have focused on counting steps.  For that matter, the detectives tried to reason their way to a short cut instead of following directions.

Reading is fundamental.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2010, 12:35:55 PM »
The finale is set for May 9th. For the first time that I can remember, CBS has just released the finale dates this far ahead of time for TAR, Cold Case, Survivor, and some specials that will be aired in May on Sundays.

This is an article from The Futon Critic from schedule information they get from CBS. (link)

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- No two Sundays will look the same during the closing weeks of the season for CBS.

In addition to its previously announced movies and specials ("The 45th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards" on April 18, "When Love Is Not Enough: The Lois Wilson Story" on April 25), the Eye has booked "Jesse Stone: No Remorse," the sixth "Stone" film, for May 9 and "Brooks & Dunn: The Last Rodeo," an ACM Awards follow-up special, for May 23.

Said quartet will join the season finales of the network's reality franchises "Undercover Boss" (April 11), "The Amazing Race" (May 9) and "Survivor" (May 16).

Here's a breakdown of all the dates:

Sunday, April 11
7:00/6:00c - "60 Minutes"
8:00/7:00c - "The Amazing Race 16"
9:00/8:00c - "Undercover Boss" (Season Finale)
10:00/9:00c - "Cold Case"

Sunday, April 18
8:00/7:00c - "The 45th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards" (Three-Hour Special)

Sunday, April 25
9:00/8:00c - "When Love Is Not Enough: The Lois Wilson Story" (Original Movie)

Sunday, May 2
9:00/8:00c - "Cold Case" (Two-Hour Season Finale)

Sunday, May 9
8:00/7:00c - "The Amazing Race 16" (Season Finale)
9:00/8:00c - "Jesse Stone: No Remorse" (Original Movie)

Sunday, May 16
8:00/7:00c - "Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains" (Two-Hour Season Finale - Special Night)
10:00/9:00c - "Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains: The Reunion"

Sunday, May 23
8:00/7:00c - "Brooks & Dunn: The Last Rodeo" (Two-Hour Special)
10:00/9:00c - "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" (Repeat)

For those of you who are so inclined I gues you can start making those TARcon travel plans and get the discounts.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2010, 01:10:38 PM »
Wonderful!! Thank you!! But still...I remember at least one TARcon where released dates were changed about 3 weeks before...so take it still with a grain of salt :lol:

But May 9 fiits best with our speculated dates,so yay!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2010, 06:08:14 PM »
Peach, Brian Ford Sullivan, who founded The Futon Critic, and who is responsible for that article, has been known to post in other TAR-related forums on occasion.  When something popped up early about a finale date for TAR 15 (because of information about the Survivor Samoa finale) I contacted him and he corrected an assumption made by one of his staffers.

This information appears to be too comprehensive to be random or guesswork. The only way I could see a change is if CBS makes a conscious change for currently unforeseen consequences. But May 9th is consistent with 12 episodes and the one week off for the already announced date for the CMAs, so I give it the best category of reliability that I think we're are going to see.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 08:25:21 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2010, 07:59:27 PM »
That's what I said...or thought I did. I agree with the date as posted, but also know that the finale date has been changed before, at least twice, fairly close to the finale, for unforeseen circumstances. So just saying be careful .
RFF's Golden Rule:

AmazingDT

« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2010, 12:54:01 PM »

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2010, 09:33:51 AM »
Victor’s Amazing Race Blog: From Worst to First

And on the fourth leg of the sixteenth edition of The Amazing Race, the team called Louie and Michael finally found focus and finished first. This week, the eight remaining teams started from Estancia Fortin Chacabuco in Bariloche, Argentina, only to reach a “bunching point” at the airport as they prepared to jump continents to Hamburg, Germany. The beauty of the bunch is that it resets placements, allowing all teams to start even, before they tackled the tandem bungee, the World Cup 2010 and Sauerkraut Polka detours, and “Drink the Boot” at Haifischbar. Louie and Michael took advantage and reached the pit stop at Indra Club in unfamiliar first place. Steve and Allie found their groove with a second, second-place finish. Bottom-dwellers Dan and Jordan and Brent and Caite stayed in the back-of-the-pack, while Jeff and Jordan tumbled to last place — only to be saved by a non-elimination leg.

So what happened? Many will say that this leg was determined by taxicab luck. Jeff and Jordan ended up in last place because their taxicab driver did not know how to use a GPS device and took them miles out of the way. Jet and Cord were in first place, until they could not find a taxicab. And Louie and Michael had an easy time of it with a sassy taxicab driver named Edga. But to me, this leg had nothing to do with taxicabs. Taxicab luck affects everybody — it is something you expect and have to manage.

This leg was about alliances. Even before the reappearance of the intersection, the teams were already in natural couplings: Jeff and Jordan had their favorites in Brent and Caite; Carol and Brandy love Dan and Jordan; Joe and Heidi bonded with Steve and Allie; while Jet and Cord and Louie and Michael found themselves with no one else. Every pair of pairs worked well together at the intersection, but all make the mistake of separating too quickly. Each team picked opposite detours. Jet and Cord would not have gotten lost if they had stayed with Louie and Michael. Brent and Caite and Jeff and Jordan would have fared better had they stayed together. As the old saying goes, you don’t need to outrun your friend until the bear starts chasing. Until then, working together reduces the chance of a mistake; and if you do make a mistake, the other team is good insurance. People remember my biggest mistake as getting lost in the hills of Romania. But that wasn’t actually my biggest mistake. My biggest mistake was not waiting for Christie and Jodi. Instead of tackling the vampire detour together, I raced ahead to try to gain an advantage, only to get lost for hours. There was no reason to race ahead by ourselves so early in a leg. Mel (of Mel and Mike) understood that. When we had to traverse the subways of Moscow (which did not air), we took Mel and Mike with us. I said it was so we could work together; Mel said it was so we could outrun them if we both get lost. We were both right. But the alliance worked.

Beyond alliances, the honor for biggest mistake of the week is shared by Carole and Brandi, Dan and Jordan, Joe and Heidi, Steve and Allie, Brent and Caite, and Jeff and Jordan. Every one of you left the start before Louie and Michael, and yet only Louie and Michael (the last place team) managed to get on the first flight to Germany with Jet and Cord. How did you let that happen? We may never know. But by letting Louie and Michael get on that first plane, the other teams gave away first place.

http://tvwatch.people.com/2010/03/08/victors-amazing-race-blog-from-worst-to-first/

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2010, 11:02:51 AM »
Scroll down to the bolded text for the important bits!

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Apskip's choice of flights on the Episode Thread. I think he's switched up the arrival times of the three flights, and he can't find the 11.10am Austral Airlines flight out of Bariloche. Looking at a different date perhaps?

The first matter of business is to figure out which day the teams left Bariloche. We know the teams checked in the previous leg on the evening of the 2nd, and we have half the pack travelling through Sao Paulo, arriving at 3.40pm in Frankfurt.

The usual scheduled flight from Sao Paulo to Frankfurt leaves at 11.15pm and arrives at 2.00pm, but it is only on the flight departing on the 4th that the flight was delayed, arriving instead at 3.22pm on the 5th. We can therefore confirm that the Hamburg leg took place on the evening of the 5th, and that teams were released from the Bariloche Pit Stop on the evening of the 3rd, after a ~30h Pit Stop.

We had the Sao Paulo and direct flights, but missed out on the Paris flight as it was scheduled to leave earlier and arrive later than the Sao Paulo connection. Here are the flights that the teams took:

All teams, unless first flight is booked out
AR 2681 to Buenos Aires AEP: 1105-1305 (scheduled 1110-1313)
Transfer to Buenos Aires EZE

Jet/Cord, Michael/Louie
AF 417 to Paris: 1846-1127 (scheduled 1800-1100)
AF 1918 to Frankfurt: 1314-1424 (scheduled 1315-1435)
The show has them arriving at 1435.

Carol/Brandy, Daniel/Jordan
LH 511 to Frankfurt: 2213-1500 (scheduled 2150-1500)
The show has them arriving at 1500.

Jordan/Jeff, Brent/Caite, Steve/Allie, Joe/Heidi
JJ 8005, AR 1244, JJ 8011 or G3 7453 to Sao Paulo (3h40 flight)
JJ 8070 to Frankfurt 2315-1522 (scheduled arrival 1400)
The show has them arriving at 1540.

Had the final flight not been delayed, the main pack would have arrived in Frankfurt the earliest, followed 35min later by the Jet/Cord/Michael/Louie flight and an hour later by the Carol/Brandy/Daniel/Jordan flight. Lots of airport drama we missed out on.

The German train website no longer shows timetables for December 2009, having changed their schedule on 13 Dec, but they share the same booking system as the Austrian rail service, which still hosts the old timetables on their website! Here are the trains the teams took:

Jet/Cord, Michael/Louie
ICE 721 to Frankfurt (Main): 1537-1548
ICE 72 to Hamburg: 1558-1934

All other teams
ICE 574 to Hamburg: 1642-2035

The lead pair had a good one hour over the trailing teams arriving at Hamburg. Note that had the Sao Paulo flight not been delayed, they would have made it onto a direct train running 1442-1834, arriving a full hour ahead of Jet/Cord/Michael/Louie and two hours ahead of Carol/Brandy/Daniel/Jordan.

</table>
[/html]

Neobie elucidates the flight shuffling. The airport drama would have been interesting to see.

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2010, 10:29:35 AM »
Interesting read for Episode 4.......

http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/001840.html

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2010, 02:51:07 PM »
Thanks DianeC for the link.  I can't believe that Edward Hasbrouck is still blogging about the race.

A quick story about him for you youngsters.  Back during Race 5 he had spoiler photos of the final 3 teams.   In July 2004 he teased about his photos http://www.hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/000265.html  .  The week before the finale (September 2004) he posted the photos.  http://www.hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/000375.html

The funny thing about all of this is that the task shown in the photos was never shown.  The teepee task was cut out of the episode.   :snicker:

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2010, 04:51:22 PM »
Thx for that info Pedaler...Interesting..

EEK on this one about Louis... and i dk about this writer..He is really a trouble-maker...

http://dlvr.it/8Z38

Offline heyhay28

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2010, 05:20:01 PM »
Thx for that info Pedaler...Interesting..

EEK on this one about Louis... and i dk about this writer..He is really a trouble-maker...

http://dlvr.it/8Z38

There is also a story about Louie and his possible involvement (and being put on desk duty while under investigation) over on TMZ

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2010, 05:24:31 PM »
Please take any further discussion of this topic to Louie and Michael's thread HERE:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,21624.msg514474.html#msg514474

And please note the guidelines for any discussion there.

Thanks everyone.
RFF's Golden Rule: