Author Topic: TAR Canada 4--Ep 3 "Toads! Are You Kidding Me?" Cai Be, Vietnam  (Read 8487 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Title find thanks to Maanca!

Toads! Are You Kidding Me?

Teams race to Mekong where they're hit with culture shock and the heat
."
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:24:40 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR Canada 4--Ep 3 (title TBD) Cai Be, Vietnam
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 06:53:58 PM »
saved for previews and clips
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 06:54:19 PM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 06:54:55 PM »
saved
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:32:21 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 06:05:39 PM »

Leg 3: Calgary, Alberta → Cai Be, Vietnam

FILM DATES:May 5
AIR DATE:July 12

ROUTE INFO:Fly to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

FLIGHTS:YYC → YVR, HKG → SGN

ROUTE INFO:Travel to Cai Be, Vietnam

ROUTE INFO:Phước Ân pagoda
TASK:Involves a drum dance

ROUTE INFO:Unknown
TASK:Involves transporting bags and baskets of fruit from Cai Be to Tan Phong Isle

ROADBLOCK:Involves herding 250 ducks into a cage, then transporting 2 ducks

SPEED BUMP:Involves delivering a basket of live toads

PIT STOP:Mekong Lodge

:yes:  SAFE:

?  AT RISK:

X  ELIMINATED:     
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:30:56 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
saved
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:31:48 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 06:09:05 PM »
Preview!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nDhjQlgOg7o" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nDhjQlgOg7o</a>
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:06:17 AM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 06:09:40 PM »
Caps!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 12:21:05 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 06:09:58 PM »
Caps!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 12:24:44 PM by Alenaveda »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR Canada 4--Ep 3 "Toads! Are You Kidding Me?" Cai Be, Vietnam
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 05:52:21 AM »
'Amazing Race Canada' heads to Vietnam for 'dramatically different' locale

by Bill Brioux, The Canadian Press
Posted Jul 7, 2016 11:54 am PDT

Executive producer John Brunton had one question when thinking about bringing “The Amazing Race Canada” to Vietnam: could this faraway land of jungles and rivers provide enough technical support for his large crew and contestants?

Yes, was the final answer, but there was a road block or two along the way. Viewers can see for themselves starting with Tuesday’s episode of the show on CTV. The nine remaining two-person teams race from Calgary to Vancouver then across the international dateline to Hong Kong and finally Vietnam. The first stop there is the vital commercial waterways of the Mekong Delta.

As always, the location was scouted in advance. Brunton’s fears that individuals might falter in the tropical heat were well founded. Temperatures soared close to 40 C during the race in May. Two crew members and two team members needed medical attention.

Brunton insisted the local authorities provide enough electrolytes at each location to keep everybody properly hydrated. “And we got electric lights!” he says, roaring with laughter.

Language problems aside, Brunton says it was important to bring the race somewhere that was “dramatically different” for season 4. Last season saw teams visit Argentina and Chile as well as India.

The challenge, however, is that in a world that is becoming increasingly dangerous, safe exotic locales are in short supply. Viewers who lived through nightly Vietnam War TV reports in the ’60s and ’70s will now see it as a safe, conflict-free destination, whereas terrorist targets such as London and Paris seem risky.

Brunton checked with the producer of the American version of “The Amazing Race,” Bertram van Munster, who gave the destination a big thumbs-up. “Then there’s the other factor — what’s affordable? What are the labour costs?”

He found a local contact “of very high integrity — not always the easiest thing to find,” says Brunton who has dealt with authorities all over the world.

“You have a culture in Chile where the law is very strict,” he says. “If you ever tried to bribe anybody, you could go to jail.” With other jurisdictions, says Brunton, it’s hard to get anything done “without a big roll of dough in your pocket.”

“We knew from the outset that this was a pretty reasonably honest place to do business,” says Brunton.

Still, it is communist country, with a conservative regime in place. But the red tape was worth it, says Brunton, who saw an opportunity, in the wake of Canada’s generous Syrian refugee efforts, to reflect upon a “boat people” story from decades earlier “that is so central to who we are now.”

Jon Montgomery was already well-versed on the virtues of Vietnam. “It’s my parents’ favourite place to visit,” says the 37-year-old host.

Montgomery spoke from a thatched-roof river resort overlooking the swift-flowing delta. Teams will have to board one of the many water taxis docked out front and explain they want to go to the floating market. You can buy everything from live eels to caged rats at the market, the latter fit for frying, according to the locals. Tuesday’s episode will also feature duck herding in the blazing Vietnam sun as well as frog harvesting. A drum dance at a temple is also on the agenda.

Vietnam packs its own culture shocks as teams travel two hours by bus north to Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon) for the following week’s episode. Players crammed into buses and sat next to commuters carrying baskets full of fish. “One of the weird things you wouldn’t see back home,” said one team member afterwards.

Once you arrive at Ho Chi Minh City, you can buy “banh mi” — Vietnam baguette sandwiches — for 33,000 dong, or a little less than a toonie. Simple, concrete vending stalls stand alongside high-rise, North American-style office towers and hotels, with McDonalds and KFC locations almost as numerous as the swarms of scooters that dart around pedestrians like schools of fish.

Week four will also bring a stop at a local street vendor with an unusual menu: larvae, crickets, centipedes, two live coconut worms and a bat.

That was hard to swallow for at least one team member.

“Their legs kept getting stuck to my teeth,” she said afterwards. “I threw up in my mouth and had to go through it all over again!”

http://www.news1130.com/2016/07/07/amazing-race-canada-heads-to-vietnam-for-dramatically-different-locale/
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 11:27:37 AM »
So the possibility is there for an unplanned Double-Elimination. Yikes.

Reminds me of last year, they went to India right in the middle of a record-setting heat wave.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 12:41:46 PM by Maanca »

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 11:49:52 AM »
Oh, Coconut Worms. I have never eaten it before but people told me it's delicious. Fatty-yummy.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 12:25:59 PM »
Preview and caps are up!

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 12:39:46 PM »
The Pit Start is the Peace Bridge, I recognize it anywhere (it was controversial when it was built in 2012. Expensive price tag and people felt it was unnecessary with other footbridges right next to it).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 01:12:50 PM by Maanca »

Offline Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 08:23:03 PM »
Oh, Coconut Worms. I have never eaten it before but people told me it's delicious. Fatty-yummy.
It's really yummy, bro.

I hope they have to eat live ones. :D

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 08:58:24 PM »
I didn't want to wander into here since I'm trying to be unspoiled but I had to for the Prediction Game questions :lol:

But I noticed something interesting in that article:

Is that Jillian behind Kelly & Kate at what looks like the Duck Roadblock?

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 08:59:28 PM »
According to the article, they have to eat live ones. I love Silk worms so I think I will love this coconut worms but I don't know if I can eat live ones. Will try if I have a chance.

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 09:09:09 PM »
I didn't want to wander into here since I'm trying to be unspoiled but I had to for the Prediction Game questions :lol:

But I noticed something interesting in that article:

Is that Jillian behind Kelly & Kate at what looks like the Duck Roadblock?

Yes it is. LOL

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 09:18:44 PM »
No normal cluebox in the preview. That's something I'm curious to see. Vietnam has always kind of a special case, the US and maybe other versions have traditionally used an alternately coloured cluebox there (yellow/white instead of red), so as not to be confused with the national colours.

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 09:23:32 PM »
No normal cluebox in the preview. That's something I'm curious to see. Vietnam has always kind of a special case, the US and maybe other versions have traditionally used an alternately coloured cluebox there (yellow/white instead of red), so as not to be confused with the national colours.

It is because of politic problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_South_Vietnam

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 03:37:07 PM »
This article tells us even more, this one from the perspective of a reporter who was there with them.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/07/08/amazing-race-canada-behind-the-scenes-with-an-exclusive-set-visit-to-vietnam

'Amazing Race Canada': Behind the scenes with a set visit to Vietnam
As The Amazing Race Canada heads to Vietnam, we go on set as contestants are 'pushed to their physical limits' like never before

jim-slotek
By Jim Slotek, Postmedia Network

CAE BE, Vietnam – As our water taxi nears a bend on the Mekong River – a discreet distance from the nine remaining teams on The Amazing Race Canada – the carcass of a large, freshly-slaughtered pig floats by.

In another era, a war correspondent could have worked up a metaphor out of that grisly bit of flotsam. But the war that gripped a generation is but the stuff of sombre museums in Vietnam these days.

The dead hog is merely one that got away from the floating markets and “wet market” that lie ahead. Pork and chicken are the staples westerners would recognize as food.

Absent from that list would be rats (sold live in cages to be deep-fried later), toads (ditto) and various insects.

Not that the flight-weary contestants are being asked to eat anything sketchy in the Vietnam episode that airs on CTV, Tuesday, July 12 – yet.

They’ve just arrived, dazed, in the Mekong Delta from Calgary via Hong Kong and Ho Chi Minh City (word from the production team is that Emmett Blois, who is racing with his ex-girlfriend, Big Brother Canada champ Jillian MacLaughlin, left the plane announcing how happy she was to be in Thailand. Now THAT’s lost).

One team has already found itself in the wrong village en route. Another would take a wrong turn looking for a duck farm, taking them – and the cameramen – several kilometers off course on foot in 39-degree heat.

Ah, the heat. This is the third year in a row The Amazing Race Canada has stepped outside our borders, and the second in a row in which Canadians have been exposed to the kind of temperatures they’d normally only experience bent over a barbecue.

Last year, in Kolkata and Delhi, the contestants raced in 44 C heat that actually resulted in thousands of deaths nationwide. But The Amazing Race Canada competition in those huge Indian cities was largely by taxi and tuk-tuk. There are no cabs to speak of in dusty Cae Be, and most of the challenges are arrived at on foot.

Which is bad news for the crew that follows Woodbridge single-moms Anne Morrone and Tanya Muzzatti, who arrived in Vietnam already tagged as the team with the worst sense of direction. “We were in Jasper. We had a challenge in the park. They drove right out of the park and practically ended up in Edmonton. It was insane,” says TARC executive producer John Brunton.

On this day, one of Anne and Tanya’s cameramen will be treated for heat prostration. “They damn near killed him,” Brunton says. “They’re running, not having a clue what direction they were going. The guys have 25-30 pound cameras. They are the two most fit cameramen that we have. Cardio fit.”

And then there’s the language barrier. Brunton insists this anecdote is true. His team tried to be better prepared for Vietnam than they were for India, and asked that there be “electrolytes” along with water at each Roadblock. The crew arrived to find boxes of electric lights at each stop.

And before the end of the day, the heat would take its toll, not just on the crew, but crucially on a team.

(Those of us along for the trip who were not required to run from place to place have comparatively nothing to complain about. But as an aside, my room in Cae Be had noisy lizards in it, and mosquito netting over your bed was a nighttime requirement).

I ask host Jon Montgomery if he’s learned anything between India and Vietnam. “I’ve learned I’m a ginger and don’t do well in the heat,” he says. “I learned nothing else in terms of coping with it. It’s stultifying. I can appreciate how nothing gets done midday in countries like this, because you just cannot work, man. It’s physically impossible.”

But he says watching Canadians in extreme heat has turned out to be a brilliant programming stroke. “It’s fish-out-of-water excitement,” he says. “You’re watching people who are unused to this heat try to keep their wits about them, think flexibly, work together, communicate, all while being pushed to their physical limits. It’s bananas.”

At least one of the teams, though, seemed to find their stride in the world’s rice basket (paddies along the Mekong provide one-fifth of all the rice in the world).

Pint-sized fitness instructors Kelly Xu and Kate Pan are still in the race by the skin of their teeth, having avoided elimination in Banff by mere minutes and coming in last in Calgary in what happily turned out to be a non-elimination leg.

“The previous two legs, it was in the mountains and it was cold. We don’t perform well in the cold,” Xu said. And as the Mekong race started, they fairly sailed through the soggy shopping list contestants were given as they browsed boat-to-boat through the floating market. “Shopping’s something we’re good at because we’re girls,” Pan added. “We had to shop for fermented bean curd. We have it in our culture too, little cubes. But we call it Chinese Cheese.”

But back to the four-legged foodstuffs. Though they didn’t have to eat anything on this day, the contestants did have to interact with animals in the Mekong. A squeamish Kelly and Kate had to deliver a basket of live toads, hand-picked as their make-good for avoiding elimination in the previous leg.

And at one Roadblock, contestants had to herd a specific number of ducks into a pen. A few, however, expressed remorse about where the ducks were ultimately headed (Vietnamese eat about 30 million ducks a year).

“One of them was just relaxing in my arms, then I realized where he was going and I felt kind of traumatized,” says Ashley Callingbull, the First Nations activist and reigning Mrs. Universe who is teamed with her stepdad Joel Ground.

Adds Amy Gassler, of the mother/daughter team of Frankie and Amy, “When I realized we were taking them to where they were going to be killed, it was just heartbreaking. It was so sad. We should have just bought them.”

In a pre-season scouting trip, Brunton says, he actually tried the deep-fried toads while trekking through the jungle. Were they good? “Hey, anything that’s deep-fried is good,” he says.

“My sense between India and Vietnam is that Vietnam also has a great deal of poverty. But I haven’t seen anybody who looks underfed or malnourished. I couldn’t say the same of India,” he continues.

“I came here scouting and the Mekong Delta has that enduring feeling of history and tradition – that it was a highway that fed people for centuries.”

Since TARC became an international affair, some Canadian connection has always been proffered. Brunton notes one that’s still relevant today. During the era of the post-war “boat people,” Canada took in 75,000 Vietnamese refugees.

“You look at what’s happening in the U.S., with refugees in general and the targeting of specific religions,” Brunton says. “Donald Trump is running around saying he’ll close the borders to refugees. I’m proud of the fact that we took in refugees then, and that we’ve got a government that says we can take in more.”

“I think our country has been transformed in a great way by the Vietnamese and other people who call Canada home because they were welcomed.”

The Amazing Race Canada airs Tuesdays at 8 p.m. on CTV and CTV GO.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 05:23:52 PM »
Alol Jillian thinking they went to Thailand :lol: <3

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2016, 09:11:27 PM »

Ah, so it's more that using the regular colours there can actually be offensive.

They are really playing up how hot it was in the promos and press, 2 crew and 2 racers having to be treated. That's a likely sign we're going to see a medical-related elimination :(

Offline saskvagabond

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2016, 12:39:27 AM »

Ah, so it's more that using the regular colours there can actually be offensive.

They are really playing up how hot it was in the promos and press, 2 crew and 2 racers having to be treated. That's a likely sign we're going to see a medical-related elimination :(

Actually, they mentioned the first time they went (Season 3, USA), that they used a different colour scheme for the flags and clue boxes because Vietnam's national flag is Red and Yellow already, meaning there would already be hundreds of flags with that colour scheme. Changing it was more to differentiate the race flags from, well, every other flag in the country.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 12:56:14 AM »
Alol Jillian thinking they went to Thailand :lol: <3