Author Topic: TAR 27 Ep 5 "King of the Jungle" Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe  (Read 16301 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 27 Ep 5 "King of the Jungle" Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
« on: October 16, 2015, 12:58:01 PM »
THE RACERS’ ADRENALINE IS PUMPING AS TEAMS PLUNGE MORE THAN 250 FEET, FEED CROCODILES AND WALK WITH LIONS THROUGH THE JUNGLE, ON “THE AMAZING RACE,” FRIDAY, OCT. 23
              “King Of The Jungle” (Zambia, Africa) – Teams conquer their fears in Zambia, Africa when they plunge more than 250 feet over the Zambezi River, feed a trio of crocodiles and walk with lions through the jungle, on THE AMAZING RACE, Friday, Oct. 23 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Phil Keoghan (@philkeoghan) is the host. 

Thanks Claude!

Episode 5 from TV Guide:

Episode 5 title

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:08:34 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 27 Ep 5 "King of the Jungle" Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 12:58:18 PM »
vids below!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:38:30 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 12:58:30 PM »
MAF'S EP 5 RACING REPORT!

Racing report
Amazing Race Season 27, Episode 5, "King of the jungle"
Film date: 2015-06-30

The last episode ended with a keep on racing pit stop at the Rose of Charity Orphanage. When it ended only two teams had reached the pit stop and half the teams were still stuck at giraffe side of the detour. So lets us start at the detour from that leg.

Teams complete the detour in the following order:
 1(+1) Justin & Diana, croquet
 2(-1) Tanner & Josh, croquet
 3(+4) Denise & James Earl, croquet
 4(-1) Kelsey & Joey, croquet
 5(-1) Cindy & Rick, co-op
 6(-1) Logan & Chris, co-op
 7(+0) Jazmine & Danielle, co-op
 8(+0) Tiffany & Krista, co-op

After the detour teams make their way to the Rose of Charity orphanage where they find the U-turn board and Phil. Nobody gets lost between the U-turn board and Phil since the distance is about 10 meters. The only team using the U-turn is Tiffany & Krista who U-turns Justin & Diana because they want to keep their promise.

When teams reach Phil they all make a donation. Most teams donate all their money, but not Logan & Chris.
 "I donated 20, we have 155 bucks left", Chris when Phil asks him
After Phil tells them the others gave all their money Chris donates the rest of their money as well.

Teams check in with Phil in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana
 2(+0) Tanner & Josh
 3(+0) Denise & James Earl
 4(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 5(+0) Cindy & Rick
 6(+0) Logan & Chris
 7(+0) Jazmine & Danielle
 8(+0) Tiffany & Krista

Since this is a keep on racing leg no price is given out and no team is getting eliminated. Instead teams get their next clue and $65. This clue tells them to make their way to the Lookout Cafe and search for their next clue.

Before Tanner & Josh can get their clue they must decide who they want to give the second express pass to. After a bit of deliberating they decide to give it to Denise & James Earl.
 "They have helped us a lot, and they are also not a threat to us in the back", Josh on why team motherboy get the express pass

In the taxi Krista expresses her frustration about always being in the back. They are doing their best but still can not seem to get ahead.
  "I'm so sick of showing up to the mat last, ... I just don't understand why these little things keep happening to us",Krista

Teams find their next clue at the cafe in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana
 2(+0) Tanner & Josh
 3(+1) Kelsey & Joey
 4(-1) Denise & James Earl, just after #3
 5(+0) Cindy & Rick
 6(+0) Logan & Chris, seconds after #5
 7(+0) Jazmine & Danielle
 8(+0) Tiffany & Krista

Road block: "Who wants to gorge themselves?"

The full information starts: "Take a big swing over the Zambezi river, free-falling over 200 feet into the Batoka gorge"

In this road block teams must take a giant swing into the Batoka gorge. This is a repeat of the very first task of the first season of the Amazing Race. There is only one swing so teams will have to wait for the previous teams to complete the task. The order they swing seem to be decided by the order they arrive at the actual task location, which is about 150m from where the clue box is.

"I'm jealous now", Diana
 "My fitbit is reading 110 on my heart rate", Josh is not entirely comfortable as he waits for his turn
 "I wish I didn't see Justin go, but at least I saw that he didn't splat down there so I feel a little more confident", Josh
 "Thank you for honoring our agreement", Josh to Justin about the U-turn last leg
 "I love you man, You're my only child so stay safe", Denise to James Earl
 "Oh my god", Joey see Josh take the plunge

Cindy & Rick arrive at the clue box seconds before Logan & Chris. Both teams are extremely stressed out and as soon as they read the clue they jump back into their taxis and tell their driver to go. That is they miss that the road block location is reached on foot along a path from the clue box.
 "The Lookout Cafe and big swing.. That the same pace", Logan & Chris's driver
 "I don't understand, just follow them", Logan & Chris prefer to follow Cindy & Rick
Eventually Cindy & Rick's drive find the place on his smartphone and they turn back. Logan & Chris follow.
 "We're stupid", Chris sums it up

Teams complete the road block in the following order (* denotes team member doing the roadblock):
1(+0)Justin* & Diana     (2-2)
2(+0)Tanner & Josh*      (1-3)
3(+0)Kelsey* & Joey      (3-1)
4(+0)Denise & James Earl*(1-3)
5(+2)Jazmine & Danielle* (2-2)
6(+2)Tiffany* & Krista   (2-2)
7(-2)Cindy* & Rick       (2-2)
8(-2)Logan & Chris*      (2-2)

The next clue is a detour: Crocs or Canoes?

In crocs teams make their way to "Crocodile Cage diving" (2km) and change into wet-suits. They are them put in a cage which is lowered into a pool with three hungry crocodiles. Here contestants must use a stick to each feed a crocodile a piece of raw meat. This task is very linear. There is no skill involved and there is only one cage so only one team can go at a time.

In canoes teams must paddle across the Zambezi river in an inflatable canoe, Then walk along a short track before arriving at a tree where one one of them must hoist their partner up into the air to retrieve their next clue from a vultures nest. The props department have made sure that these clues are covered in something which looks like bird droppings. This task probably takes place by the Azambezi Rive Lodge (6km).

The difficulty in the canoe task lies in padding the canoe. And to have the nerve to actually do it after they spot the sign the helpful production staff put up which reads "Beware of crocodiles". It is hard to judge how dangerous this really was. We get to see many shots of Crocodiles and Hippos, but all of them seem to be stock film and we never see the racers in the same frame.

"There's an elephant", Justin spots the elephant standing by the canoes
 "I've got to pull this fatty up to the top of this tree", Josh

Tanner & Josh assume they, with their massive upper-body strength, will have no problem passing Justin & Diana who are just ahead of them. But paddling the canoe turns out to be harder than it looks
 "Whoa, green just killed us", Tanner & Josh realize they can't catch Justin & Diana on this task

The crocodile task is linear so the only drama is the fake one created by the crocodiles, they would be dangerous if the contestants were not in a steel cage, and the real drama created by the teams.
 "I'm not exactly the thrill-seeker that Kelsey is", Joey as he changes into his wet suit
 "I'm more nervous feeding the crocodiles than falling off of a cliff", Tiffany
 "Oh my god. He's ripping the stick", Tiffany finds that feeding the crocodiles is not without its perils

Logan & Chris is the last team to arrive at the Crocodile task. Chris thinks they need to switch but after some fierce discussion they stay and wait for their turn. It is hard to say from the episode, but it was probably a good idea to stay. This task seemed to be quick and the canoe took place at another location.
 "Might be our last thing that we get to do", Chris know they are last as they are lowered into the pool with the crocodiles

Teams complete the detour in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana, canoe
 2(+0) Tanner & Josh, canoe
 3(+1) Denise & James Earl, used their express pass at crocks
 4(-1) Kelsey & Joey, crocks
 5(+0) Jazmine & Danielle, crocks
 6(+0) Tiffany & Krista, crocks
 7(+0) Cindy & Rick, crocks
 8(+0) Logan & Chris, crocks

Route info: "Make your way to the Lion encounter at the Masuwe safari lodge"

Jazmine & Danielle seem to confuse their taxi driver so he drives them to the Masuwe lodge instead of to the Lion encounter. Here they encounter the pit stop task and start doing it. Once they see Phil they realize something is wrong. They reread their clue and realize that they are at the wrong location. They run over to the nearby lion encounter.

Teams arrive at the Lion encounter in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana
 2(+1) Denise & James Earl
 3(+1) Kelsey & Joey
 4(-2) Tanner & Josh
 5(+1) Tiffany & Krista
 6(-1) Jazmine & Danielle
 7(+0) Cindy & Rick
 8(+0) Logan & Chris

Route info "Walk with the lions to hunt for your next clue"

In this task the teams will walk together with a number of handlers and some lions along a path. Eventually they will find a skull which holds their next clue. There are two different paths so two teams can do this task at the same time.

These are real lions so there are some rules to follow, like not to panic and not crouching down. And teams can't wear bright color so some of them have to change clothes.
 "Cats like me, I do not like cats", Cindy

Jazmine & Danielle are extremely stressed out by their previous navigational mishap so they rush in to take the second track after Tiffany & Krista. As a result they do not read their clue properly and miss the part which says they have to find their next clue along the path. Therefore they miss the clue they were supposed to pick up along the path and have to go again. Of course they have to go to the back of the line when they come back so they are now in last place.

Teams return from the lion walk in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana
 2(+0) Denise & James Earl
 3(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 4(+0) Tanner & Josh
 5(+0) Tiffany & Krista
       Jazmine & Danielle, did not pick up their clue
 6(+1) Cindy & Rick
 7(+1) Logan & Chris
 8(-2) Jazmine & Danielle

Route info: "Make your way on foot to the Masawe Lodge"

This is the pit stop for this leg. To make things more interesting teams must bring two large baskets of fruit to the mat. The baskets are picked up near the pit stop (perhaps 100m before) and each team member must carry one fruit basket on their head. They may not use anything to support them besides their head. If they drop the basket they must collect the fruit which may have rolled away and then put it back on again before they may continue from the same spot.

This is wonderful task, it creates a frantic but snails-pace race to the pit stop.

"We're in trouble", Justin when he learns about the fruit task

Production has helpfully provided a number of local women walking around with similar loads and they make it all look so easy.

"This is definitely the slowest footrace ever", James Earl
 "I am like as calmly frustrated as I can possibly be", Diana
 "I've never felt more ridiculous in my life", Tanner & Josh feel their manliness threatened

Phil stands on a platform with a nice view of the valley below. Not that the racers have time to appreciate that as they walk up balancing their fruit baskets on their heads.

Jazmine & Danielle feel that they are about a minute behind Cindy & Rick when they arrive at the fruit carrying task.

Teams reach the mat in the following order:
 1(+1) Denise & James Earl, win a trip to Slovakia
 2(-1) Justin & Diana
 3(+1) Tanner & Josh
 4(-1) Kelsey & Joey
 5(+0) Tiffany & Krista
 6(+1) Logan & Chris
 7(-1) Cindy & Rick
 8(+0) Jazmine & Danielle, are eliminated

"Our takeaway from this leg is the same as every leg, it is just something we have a really hard time implementing, it's just calm down", Logan

In the end Danielle & Jazmine finish about 2 minuter after Cindy & Rick. They are athletes so they are bummed out by being eliminated, but they are also grateful for all the places they have gone to together.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:37:48 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 12:58:58 PM »
NEOBIE'S EP 5 MAPS!

Leg 5
Masuwe Lodge is on the west side of the airport road; it's mislabeled on Panoramio as the Stanley and Livingstone Lodge, which is actually further south.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:35:51 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 05:31:17 PM »
Leg 5: Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe

FILM DATES: June 30
AIR DATE: October 23

ROUTE INFO:   Travel to The Lookout Cafe

ROUTE INFO:   Travel to A' Zambezi River Lodge
 !  TASK:    Cross the Zambezi River to collect a clue from a flag

ROUTE INFO:   Crocodile Cage Diving, Elephant's Walk
DETOUR A:       Cage dive to feed crocodiles

ROUTE INFO:   The Lion Encounter
 !  TASK:    Walk with lions

ROUTE INFO:   Batoka Gorge
ROADBLOCK:   Perform a 200ft freefall over the Zambezi River

ROUTE INFO:   Masuwe Safari Lodge
 !  TASK:    Carry a basket of fruit to the Pitstop on your head

PIT STOP:       Masuwe Safari Lodge

:yes:  SAFE:Seven teams safe at the end of this leg

?  AT RISK:Confirmed elimination leg

X  ELIMINATED:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:08:52 PM by ovalorange »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 05:50:13 PM »
 :<3
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:39:00 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 06:38:18 PM »
Preview!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HpOYn1jJTCo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HpOYn1jJTCo</a>
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 08:32:16 AM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 06:38:47 PM »
Caps from the preview!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 08:59:29 AM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 06:39:23 PM »
Second part of the caps.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 09:01:05 AM by Alenaveda »

Offline bottle

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 05:43:41 PM »
So i'll make speculation of episode 5. since we know that they have to get a clue from the river i guess thats an active route marker task detour is crocodile or lions and roadblock is freefalling since we see at least Cindy and Tiffany doing it So can Bungee jump probably be FF and Tanner and Josh got it? Because that would be 4 tasks! in an episode and that would be unusual what do you think guys?   :conf:

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 08:42:38 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZyMaDhq1hF4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZyMaDhq1hF4</a>

Offline Lutpay

• RFF Full Member
  • #FishbachOuttaWater
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 12:01:33 AM »
So i'll make speculation of episode 5. since we know that they have to get a clue from the river i guess thats an active route marker task detour is crocodile or lions and roadblock is freefalling since we see at least Cindy and Tiffany doing it So can Bungee jump probably be FF and Tanner and Josh got it? Because that would be 4 tasks! in an episode and that would be unusual what do you think guys?   :conf:

My best guess is the first half of Leg 6 is still in Africa with bungee jump task (probably RB) and then fly to Paris for the second half of the race (doing the Detour). Leg 6 will be ended with TBC.

Offline bottle

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 03:50:11 AM »

My best guess is the first half of Leg 6 is still in Africa with bungee jump task (probably RB) and then fly to Paris for the second half of the race (doing the Detour). Leg 6 will be ended with TBC.

I hope thats not the case maybe because we only see Tanner/Josh bungee jumping  :grins:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 03:57:23 AM »
All of this is known already. We had a lot of info LIVE at the time including the tasks.

Go here and check out the TimeLine info, and discuss Ep 5 here: 

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,31632.0.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Lutpay

• RFF Full Member
  • #FishbachOuttaWater
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 03:59:37 AM »

I hope thats not the case maybe because we only see Tanner/Josh bungee jumping  :grins:

If you look closer to the caps, Logan & Chris are also waiting behind Tanner.

Tanner & Josh were seen doing Leg 5 Roadblock (free falling) based on preview
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 04:03:11 AM by Lutpay »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 10:07:40 AM »
THE RACERS’ ADRENALINE IS PUMPING AS TEAMS PLUNGE MORE THAN 250 FEET, FEED CROCODILES AND WALK WITH LIONS THROUGH THE JUNGLE, ON “THE AMAZING RACE,” FRIDAY, OCT. 23

“King Of The Jungle” (Zambia, Africa) – Teams conquer their fears in Zambia, Africa when they plunge more than 250 feet over the Zambezi River, feed a trio of crocodiles and walk with lions through the jungle, on THE AMAZING RACE, Friday, Oct. 23 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Phil Keoghan (@philkeoghan) is the host.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 02:03:38 PM »
The Amazing Race - King Of The Jungle (Sneak Peek 1)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4tTKXiNUEvE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4tTKXiNUEvE</a>

The Amazing Race - King Of The Jungle (Sneak Peek 2)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/40RHyQKEkk4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/40RHyQKEkk4</a>

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 02:52:38 PM »
Press pics are up.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 02:53:41 PM »
Hopefully Zambia gets a Pitstop

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 04:31:48 PM »
We know this IS an elimination leg.  :'(

Also known: 5 of 8 teams do crocs.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 04:45:51 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 04:40:07 PM »
Press Pic info:

"King of the Jungle"--In Detour A, Jazmine /Danielle, Kelsey/Joey, Cindy/Rick, must be lowered into a pond and feed hungry crocodiles before receiving the next clue.

"King of the Jungle"--In the Active Route Marker, TEAMS must accompany a game warden and walk with two 300 pound lions while searching for the next clue hidden in the bush on THE AMAZING RACE.

"King of the Jungle"--In this Road Block, Chris (center) must freefall over 200 feet into Batoka Gorge then swing over the rapids of the Zambezi River on THE AMAZING RACE

"King of the Jungle"--Jazmine/Danielle, James Earl /Denise must choose a basket of fruit and carry it on their head to the Pit Stop at the Masuwe Safari Lodge in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 04:55:51 PM »
If there's an FF no one takes it; everyone is on the race course at some point (Justin & Diana, Tanner & Josh, Chris & Logan, Denise & JE, Cindy & Rick with the lions; Jazmine & Danielle & Kelsey & Joey at the crocodile Detour and Tiffany & Krista at the RB)

I also think this

Quote from: lutpay

might be true. There's no real reason to have BOTH the Batoka Gorge swing and the bungee jump in the same leg, especially since it looks like both are mandatory tasks. Plus
a) Tanner/Josh are wearing different clothes during the bungee than in this leg which appears to have no actual bunching point. and
b) There's a day-sized gap that would fit it; teams finish leg 5 on June 30th and depart for Paris on July 2nd. Teams could start leg 6 in the morning of July 1st, do the bungee jump, take chartered flights or actual flights from Victoria Falls to Harare or Bulawayo in the afternoon of July 1st to arrive in JNB with 12+ hours to rest before having to go to Paris for the KOR.
c) This leg is task-dense as it is (Detour, RB, lion walk, balancing the basket on the head to the Pit Stop) PLUS there's the possible U-Turn to contend with (though I doubt with Phil standing there at an orphanage it'll get used)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 05:57:43 PM »
The bungee is in the press pics and the advertised footage of THIS episode.

“King Of The Jungle” (Zambia, Africa) – Teams conquer their fears in Zambia, Africa when they plunge more than 250 feet over the Zambezi River, feed a trio of crocodiles and walk with lions through the jungle, on THE AMAZING RACE, Friday, Oct. 23

"King of the Jungle"--In this Road Block, Chris (center) must freefall over 200 feet into Batoka Gorge then swing over the rapids of the Zambezi River on THE AMAZING RACE

There is no reason that I can see to think it is all not done in this episode.

They also boat across the river to get a clue at some point (from spoilers)

Also...why we would have a KOR followed immediatiatel by a TBC?? You lost me....
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 06:02:33 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 10:11:43 PM »
Could the bungee or freefall last of the other detour?
Like bungee/freefall them row boat across the river to get clue?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 10:30:40 PM »
The Bungee/swing is the RB.

It is possible that the fruit carry is the other Detour...
RFF's Golden Rule: