Author Topic: Why the Amazing Race has lost its magic  (Read 105237 times)

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Why the Amazing Race has lost its magic
« Reply #250 on: April 23, 2010, 08:17:11 PM »
Luke, when you get the chance, please ask Phil what his criteria is for his favorite seasons.

In his EW blog for the TAR14 finale, Phil listed your season, 14, along with 1, 3, 5, and 7 as some of his "personal favorites."  I would like to know because those five are also my favorites.

There's no way that Phil wouldn't answer you or Margie.  In that blog, he also said, "Luke and Margie were definitely one of my favorite Teams we’ve ever had on the show."

Thanks.

Offline targamer

• Poster
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #251 on: April 23, 2010, 09:33:31 PM »
We had former racers here!! Cool!

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #252 on: July 08, 2010, 08:25:16 PM »
Enough with casting all the showbiz fringies, the people that TPTB wish all of us ordinary people would constantly act and look like. Enough with recruiting. I want a real race, not some watered down show intended to launch someone's star career. THIS is why TAR has lost it's magic.

In all seriousness, my motivation to watch this next season (TAR 17) is next to zero. The route really doesn't seem unique enough (or good enough to meet expectations), the casting is terrible (as usual), and the prospects are bleak. I truly don't care if a female team ever wins if it means sacrificing what truly makes this show great: Exotic and unique locations, interesting and relevant tasks, and a cast of ELEVEN, TWO-PERSON TEAMS OF ORDINARY PEOPLE. Yes, Lynne Spillman, it's time to actually start casting the way Phil and BvM say you are. Thanks for once again not delivering.(:;)
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #253 on: July 08, 2010, 09:04:06 PM »
The moment I saw TAR 14's new intro sequence and route map, I knew something was up.
TAR 13, though not as action-packed as I would have liked it to be, still had that classic feel and some innovation.
The last two seasons have confirmed to me that TAR is just aiming for ratings (and unfortunately that means dumbing down the show and bringing in familiar faces). Personally, I blame CBS and the fact that shows simply age.

At least I've got Latin America!  :yess:

P.S. You should never judge a season until the intro though. Personally, I thought 14 was gonna suck until I saw the premier (of course, the second episode then came...)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:34:26 PM by Caelestor »

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #254 on: July 09, 2010, 07:19:09 PM »
The moment I saw TAR 14's new intro sequence and route map, I knew something was up.
TAR 13, though not as action-packed as I would have liked it to be, still had that classic feel and some innovation.
The last two seasons have confirmed to me that TAR is just aiming for ratings (and unfortunately that means dumbing down the show and bringing in familiar faces). Personally, I blame CBS and the fact that shows simply age.

At least I've got Latin America!  :yess:

P.S. You should never judge a season until the intro though. Personally, I thought 14 was gonna suck until I saw the premier (of course, the second episode then came...)

Yes. And I'm fed up with all of it. TAR is no longer a "classy" show. Now it's just appealing to the masses, even though it really doesn't need to do that to succeed ratings-wise.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline GreeneTeam

• Amazing Racers
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #255 on: July 11, 2010, 04:43:58 PM »
AR13 truly was the last of the classics;)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #256 on: July 11, 2010, 06:53:41 PM »
Hi Tina and Ken!! TAR 13's cast is the tightest one I know. Y'all are special!! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline CuddlyClaudia

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #257 on: July 12, 2010, 09:39:49 AM »
This show is clearly huge in the US. I'm looking for new reality shows to watch. Does anyone know if it airs in the UK at all. It sounds like it could be a good one to watch, although maybe ealier series were better. Thanks huys  :lol:

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #258 on: July 12, 2010, 10:17:11 AM »
It does, but I think it's a couple of seasons behind in the U.K.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #259 on: July 12, 2010, 07:10:53 PM »
:welcome2: to RFF CuddlyClaudia!

Let's ask Sam....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Sam‽

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sam's Reality Wiki
« Reply #260 on: July 13, 2010, 05:49:20 AM »
This show is clearly huge in the US. I'm looking for new reality shows to watch. Does anyone know if it airs in the UK at all. It sounds like it could be a good one to watch, although maybe ealier series were better. Thanks huys  :lol:

Ooooh...a question I can answer!  :yess:

They're not currently showing any in the UK but if you want to watch, keep an eye on Living TV and Challenge because those two channels own the rights to show it.

The last time it was on TV was on Living in February, and it was on daily at 9pm. Challenge usually hide it away where nobody can find it. They were showing some series at 3.30am daily, but they haven't done that in a while either.  (:;)

They also just show the same series over and over, so I would recommend you just maybe find them on youtube because if you do that you'll see some that you'll never see on TV. If I find out it's on TV here again, I'll post the times for you in this thread. ;D

Offline CuddlyClaudia

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #261 on: July 14, 2010, 04:01:32 PM »
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for this. Any other US shows you recommend. I'm a big fan of US drama and find it is seriously lacking here in the UK.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #262 on: July 14, 2010, 04:08:14 PM »
You might what to take a look through the home page, claudia? We have a whole list of reality and non-reality shows to follow. :jam:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline docol

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Can't wait 4 "The Amazing Race" 35...!!!!!!!!
« Reply #263 on: August 28, 2010, 06:27:05 PM »
The Amazing Race has NOT lost its magic..! IT's the best rality ever...!!!!!!!! Go TAR.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :hearts: :jumpy:
"" JUSTICE 4 DUSTIN&KANDICE: PUT THEM ON THE AMAZING RACE LEGENDS SEASON ""

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #264 on: August 29, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
I thought TAR 15 and TAR 16 went downhill.. but i gotta give credit to the finale of TAR 15.. it kept me on the edge of my seat.. it was so exciting and you really didn't know who will win until the last 5 to 10 minutes. But the entire season was hard to get through, i gotta admit.

TAR 16 was boring as a whole for the entire season. The only storyline that they can focus on was the fight between the lesbians and the detectives + CAITE. All the other teams lived in their shadows. As compared to TAR 14 where although there was animosity between Kisha/Jen and Margie/Luke, Margie/Luke, Cara/Jaime, Tammy/Victor had their own individual stories and also all the other teams had their fair share of edit and story as well.

I still believe in TAR, having waited 7 seasons from Season 7 to Season 14 to find back my passion for the show.. what's 2 seasons of downhill?? :lol:

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #265 on: August 29, 2010, 12:57:55 PM »
I'm in pretty much total agreement with Joab.  At least as it stands now.  It's funny, because I didn't think TAR14 was super-awesome when it aired.  It was very good, but nothing like TAR7 or the like.  Of course, fast forward to a year and 2 seasons later, and TAR14 looks like super-awesome.  Following a season full of one team dominating most of the race and another team dominating most of the other part of the race the winning team didn't dominate, it was pretty competitive, while full of back stories and very awesome people (who were very awesome outside of the race).

Then came TAR15, and yet another season where one team dominated.  I guess I enjoyed it before the season since Maria & Tiffany were racing.  Sadly, they got screwed as much as they got very lucky to survive on a couple of occasions.  TAR16 was okay compared to 15, as it was a spring season and it was a near-even level playing field.  What sucked was the bad blood that was injected into the season; the very end was pretty much the last straw (which I meant so much upon the conclusion of TAR16, more than today).  Fortunately, we're at the 10th anniversary of TAR, or will be sometime this TV year.

Now, what am about to say might sound dumb, but I think TAR needs to lose the Emmy in order to win in the long run (like losing the battle in order to see and fix what went wrong so that you can win the war). What I mean is that there hasn’t been a lot of effort put into the show over the past few seasons. However, if TAR keeps winning, no one is going to change anything because they think that they're doing something right. OTOH, with a loss, it might be a sign for the producers to restart and put a spark back into the show to best bring TAR back to its glory days.

Of course, TAR would be on life support if they lost tonight (8/29) or whenever.  However, an Emmy win doesn't guarantee its survival, but just helps it a lot (and has 7 years later after nearly getting canceled).

ETA: Should've been clearer on this elsewhere, but when saying TAR needs to lose the Emmy, I didn't actually mean I want to see TAR lose (in order to win).  I just think it's necessary as a wake up call to get the show back to better days.  Hopefully there are other ways to get this done, sans losing the Emmy.  Of course, with mswood reminding me of something I've made mention to in the past, if the criteria is based on what you submit, then TAR really can't lose.  If it's the overall picture? no guarantees.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 01:07:40 PM by revengefullycreative »
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #266 on: August 29, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »
I'm in pretty much total agreement with Joab.  At least as it stands now.  It's funny, because I didn't think TAR14 was super-awesome when it aired.  It was very good, but nothing like TAR7 or the like.  Of course, fast forward to a year and 2 seasons later, and TAR14 looks like super-awesome.  Following a season full of one team dominating most of the race and another team dominating most of the other part of the race the winning team didn't dominate, it was pretty competitive, while full of back stories and very awesome people (who were very awesome outside of the race).

Then came TAR15, and yet another season where one team dominated.  I guess I enjoyed it before the season since Maria & Tiffany were racing.  Sadly, they got screwed as much as they got very lucky to survive on a couple of occasions.  TAR16 was okay compared to 15, as it was a spring season and it was a near-even level playing field.  What sucked was the bad blood that was injected into the season; the very end was pretty much the last straw (which I meant so much upon the conclusion of TAR16, more than today).  Fortunately, we're at the 10th anniversary of TAR, or will be sometime this TV year.

Now, what am about to say might sound dumb, but I think TAR needs to lose the Emmy in order to win in the long run (like losing the battle in order to see and fix what went wrong so that you can win the war). What I mean is that there hasn’t been a lot of effort put into the show over the past few seasons. However, if TAR keeps winning, no one is going to change anything because they think that they're doing something right. OTOH, with a loss, it might be a sign for the producers to restart and put a spark back into the show to best bring TAR back to its glory days.

Of course, TAR would be on life support if they lost tonight (8/29) or whenever.  However, an Emmy win doesn't guarantee its survival, but just helps it a lot (and has 7 years later after nearly getting canceled).

ETA: Should've been clearer on this elsewhere, but when saying TAR needs to lose the Emmy, I didn't actually mean I want to see TAR lose (in order to win).  I just think it's necessary as a wake up call to get the show back to better days.  Hopefully there are other ways to get this done, sans losing the Emmy.  Of course, with mswood reminding me of something I've made mention to in the past, if the criteria is based on what you submit, then TAR really can't lose.  If it's the overall picture? no guarantees.

GOOD JOB. NOW YOU GET YOUR WISH. :res: :res: :res:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline The Queen V

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Here comes the queen!
« Reply #267 on: August 29, 2010, 10:31:26 PM »
I'm in pretty much total agreement with Joab.  At least as it stands now.  It's funny, because I didn't think TAR14 was super-awesome when it aired.  It was very good, but nothing like TAR7 or the like.  Of course, fast forward to a year and 2 seasons later, and TAR14 looks like super-awesome.  Following a season full of one team dominating most of the race and another team dominating most of the other part of the race the winning team didn't dominate, it was pretty competitive, while full of back stories and very awesome people (who were very awesome outside of the race).

Then came TAR15, and yet another season where one team dominated.  I guess I enjoyed it before the season since Maria & Tiffany were racing.  Sadly, they got screwed as much as they got very lucky to survive on a couple of occasions.  TAR16 was okay compared to 15, as it was a spring season and it was a near-even level playing field.  What sucked was the bad blood that was injected into the season; the very end was pretty much the last straw (which I meant so much upon the conclusion of TAR16, more than today).  Fortunately, we're at the 10th anniversary of TAR, or will be sometime this TV year.

Of course, TAR would be on life support if they lost tonight (8/29) or whenever.  However, an Emmy win doesn't guarantee its survival, but just helps it a lot (and has 7 years later after nearly getting canceled).

GOOD JOB. NOW YOU GET YOUR WISH. :res: :res: :res:

theres no room for negativity right now. sorry. but it's not even the last emmys we're ever gonna get.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #268 on: August 29, 2010, 10:51:39 PM »
Well one thing to remember seasons 12 and on are going to have serious disadvantages from any previous seasons in that they have less episodes to develop stories (with the same number of teams) and for budget reasons they have to get the shots filmed quicker.  Meaning driving (especially long term) is going to be rare, more travel near transportation hubs (ie most tasks near cities) and tasks are in general going to be more controlled (as that is usually easier to film, thus normally, though not always cheaper).

And of course as the show gets older, it is harder and harder for producers to come up with new tasks and new exciting places (not impossible but certainly harder).

Many things I like about seasons 1-11 have to do with the actual production of the show, completely separate from casting. 

Many, many, many people complain about casting (And I am one of them) I am not against some stunt casting but I think its gone a little too far.  As for conflict between teams I don't mind healthy honest competition, but I utterly hate unsportsmanship.

For example I really liked season 14 (probably my favorite from since season 10).  But I hated the conflict between Kisha & Jen and Margie & Luke.  I hated it no matter who was at fault.

Season 15 I hated the behavior between the Trotters & Sam and Dan, and Trotters and Mika (go down the damn water slide for christ sake), and this season I hated the conflict between well Brent & Caite and Brandy & Carol.  I hated how Brent & Caite would talk to and about Brandy & Carol to others (If you are going to talk bad I would rather it be in the confessional footage or when you are alone in a cab, which is normally where most of Brandy & Carol's was.  But I was appalled at Brandy & Carol at the finish line.  Utterly appalled.  I hated that Michael & Louie were pushing teams to go after each other.

This show isn't survivor.  Nor should it want to be.

To me here are two good examples of teams who were very competitive against each other, who went all out against each other but rarely got ugly with each other.  BJ & Tyler and Eric & Jeremy.  Both teams gave it their all almost every single episode but both teams could still work around and be nice to each other.  The other example was Dustin & Kandice and Tyler & James.  Yet as competitive as these four teams got with each other,  don't think you could ever say they really crossed the line with each other.

I miss that type of racing.  I miss it alot.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #269 on: August 29, 2010, 10:55:31 PM »
Enough with casting all the showbiz fringies, the people that TPTB wish all of us ordinary people would constantly act and look like. Enough with recruiting. I want a real race, not some watered down show intended to launch someone's star career. THIS is why TAR has lost it's magic.

In all seriousness, my motivation to watch this next season (TAR 17) is next to zero. The route really doesn't seem unique enough (or good enough to meet expectations), the casting is terrible (as usual), and the prospects are bleak. I truly don't care if a female team ever wins if it means sacrificing what truly makes this show great: Exotic and unique locations, interesting and relevant tasks, and a cast of ELEVEN, TWO-PERSON TEAMS OF ORDINARY PEOPLE. Yes, Lynne Spillman, it's time to actually start casting the way Phil and BvM say you are. Thanks for once again not delivering.(:;)
I have to disagree to an extent.  I don't have a problem in general with this.  Just the excess of this.  If they cut this down 50% I think I would really, really be impressed.

But there have been many teams that are what I call fringe entertainers that I really, really do like.  And many teams that haven't applied normally, either seen by casting and told they should apply, or applied but told to get another partner by casting that I really liked.

I just think we have to many of them, and with those types of teams usually doing at least good (meaning making it through about 2/3rds of the race and with getting about two hours less then what we used to get we don't get much development from some of the more "normal" teams.

Offline The Queen V

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Here comes the queen!
« Reply #270 on: August 30, 2010, 01:37:38 AM »
I miss that type of racing.  I miss it alot.

I miss season 3.

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #271 on: August 31, 2010, 05:12:24 PM »
I miss season 1.  You can tell they had a low budget by the camera shots and filming, but it was without a doubt the only season that showcased ALL the contestants and you got to know them in an intimate way.  You saw their laughter, their fear, their comraderie, their competitveness, their humor, their strengths and their weaknesses.  Today, we only get glimpses of the regular Joes and all the emphasis is on the semi-celebs until they get eliminated.  Compared to season 1, today's TAR sucks in comparison.  Any one have a roadma; back to the "thunder that roars"?

Offline TARdevotee

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2010, 05:45:14 AM »
Just curious, what exactly are people's definition of ORDINARY folks? While I wish that the show would have less mactors, I think they've still had a few non-entertainment industry people lately (even if some of them are recruited). Season 16 had "regular" in Dana & Adrian, Jody & Shannon, Monique & Shawne, Joe & Heidi, Louie & Michael and Dan & Jordan. You can even argue Steve & Allie and Jet & Cord in there (as I personally don't see them as mactors and quite a few sports figures are still pretty "normal" to me). And Season 15 had "regular" in Garrett & Jessica, Marcy & Ron, Zev & Justin, Lance & Keri, Gary & Matt, Sam & Dan and Meghan & Cheyne (that's more than half the teams).

What bothered me about Season 16 was the drama with the U-turns and the editing focusing on the rivalry between the lesbians and Caite. Reminded of how Season 7 bothered me with the editing focusing on Rob & Amber vs. everyone else.

Anyway, I just really hope that by ORDINARY, people aren't suggesting that ORDINARY only applies to those who are overweight or deemed "unattractive."  Good-looking folks can still be ordinary and NOT be trying to get into the entertainment industry (Kris & Jon, Joseph & Monica, Amanda & Kris). Chip (TAR5) and Joyce (TAR7) are good examples of people who look to fulfill the "ordinary" mold, yet have quite a few film and/or TV credits to their names from when they were younger, and so I consider them mactors, which isn't a bad thing.

If anyone should be complaining, it's those who want to be on TARA! Now THERE'S a cast of MACTORS! I counted 15 out of 20 for TARA4 who are actors, models, musicians or people involved with media entertainment in some way (or at least trying to be). The most I've counted for TAR US has usually been around 5-10 mactors. Let's consider ourselves a little lucky, shall we?

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2010, 06:54:41 AM »
I miss season 1.   back to the "thunder that roars"?

I remember that quote as "the smoke that thunders." But I am probably adled brained and dont remember it right.
Matthew 7:15

Offline inomu

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #274 on: September 01, 2010, 08:56:20 AM »
something i noticed: there is no conflicts inside the teams anymore but between the teams. In earlier seasons it looks like teams are mostly friends with each other but now they just want to kill each other. Of course there was conflicts between the teams in earlier seasons but they focused more on conflicts inside the teams and vice versa.