Author Topic: Supernova band sues Rock Star 2 producers  (Read 4037 times)

Offline chunkylover53

• D'oh!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Supernova band sues Rock Star 2 producers
« on: July 12, 2006, 08:08:29 AM »
From realityblurred.com

The pissed-off members of punk band Supernova have sued Rock Star: Supernova’s producers, network, and primary band members claiming that their trademark has been infringed. That’s because the show is using their name for its new group.

The first group wants “a jury trial, as well as the destruction of all ‘labels, signs, prints, packages, wrappers, containers, advertisements, electronic media and other materials bearing the Supernova mark,’” according to MTV.com. In addition, their suit says that the show should “publish clarifying statements that [the show is] not associated with [the punk band].” They also want “profits and all damages sustained by [the band] due to [the] misuse of plaintiff’s Supernova mark,” and want the show to not be able to trademark the name Supernova.

Intriguingly, MTV.com reports that one major piece of evidence is a MySpace message from Butch Walker, who the show approached about writing the new group’s first single. “I can’t believe those dudes chose your name. For the record, I tried to talk them out of it. I told them I had a CD by a band from back in the day called Supernova and they were retarded for [using the name]. They didn’t listen. Good on ya for making a stink about it,” he wrote.

The defendants named in the suit are “Mark Burnett Productions, Rockstar Entertainment Inc. and CBS Broadcasting … along with Tommy Lee, Jason Newsted and Gilby Clarke,” according to MTV.com.
Because sometimes the way to feel good about yourself is by making someone else feel bad. I am tired of making others feel good about themselves.