Author Topic: so you think you can dance?  (Read 17081 times)

Nuala

so you think you can dance?
« on: May 27, 2006, 04:18:57 PM »
Has anyone watched this show?  I had wanted to watch it Thursday, but was too tired.  I am going to start this week coming up.  I love to dance!!!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: so you think you can dance?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 05:59:50 PM »
don't waste your time Nuala  :lol:

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 01:55:06 AM »
Yes Nuala, I watch this show.  I watched it last season and enjoyed it.  The dancing is exciting every week once they pick their finalists.  Last year I did not start watching the show until the finalists were picked.  The contestants had to pick their partner out of a hat and then they picked their style of dance out of a hat as well.  They had hip hop, jive, lyrical, ballroom.  All very nice. So every week they had different partners and different styles of dance to perform.  I tuned in the other night to see them audition people in New York and some other place.  It was interesting to say the least.  They had this one guy, in his 20's come to the audition with his mother.  Then after he performed the weirdest dance, not very good either.  He didn't want to talk to the host until he told his mother what they said.  He wanted his stage name to be sexy.  :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:.  He was far from it.  They also showed some good dancers and I look forward to seeing them perform.

Offline PsychoJason

• RFF Full Member
  • youtube.com/RetroWinnipeg
    • Win with Dell
So You Think You Can Watch?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 02:42:02 AM »
I never really understood these dancing shows...all that the viewers should be looking out for is very confusing. It really isn't that easy to define what dance should be. Dance Fever 2003 confused me a lot, and so does this show. Auditions may be okay, but the main competiton is so dull and complex. How was this a hit again?

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Cheers from the Eiffel Tower
    • Carrot Sticks & Cottage Cheese
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 07:59:03 AM »
Probably a hit becasuse it draws people in to watch the ones make fools of themselves. Then they are drawn in the rest of the season. That's my best guess.
When all is said and done, there is nothing more to say.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 06:38:58 AM »
Yeah, you're probably right, Jeff.  However, like Bathfizzy...I love dancing and watching people dance!  So Yup, this is a show I think I'll like...esp after the auditions. 
At least, I'm gonna give it a chance.  (didn't see season1) 

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 11:25:20 AM »
I'm not sure about this yet. I've got my summer planned for BB and TH

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 04:16:11 PM »
Yeh, me too.  BB will be my primary show.  What's TH?  I probably should know, but mind's a blank at the moment!

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 04:23:54 PM »
Treasure Hunters

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 12:03:13 AM »
Ohh, ok.  I think I saw a preview of it recently & as I recall, it looked like it might be a good show.  What channel & time? 

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 08:17:17 AM »
http://www.nbc.com/Treasure_Hunters/
NBC - June 18th 8/7central

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 05:22:01 AM »
Thanks Jeff.  I'll ck it out.  :tup:

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 05:25:54 AM »
I'll be glad when the dance auditions are finished!  Borrring.  So far, my fav is the couple from last week who danced beautifully.  She came to America from Russia and I think her partner is Russian descent.  They are truly great dancers!

Offline gammonwoman2

• " Will's honey woman "
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 01:08:45 AM »
I LIKE THE AUDITIONS!!  TOO FUNNY :lol3:  SO MANY WANNA BE'S  :groan:  I WILL BE WATCHING THAT AND TREASURE HUNTERS LOOKS GOOD, AND OF COURSE BB IS MY MAIN ONE TO WATCH!!  :hearts:   SOLITARY LOOKS TOO ABUSIVE!! :meow:  I JUST WATCHED THE RE RUN OF PARADISE ISLAND, AND THAT WAS GOOD!!!  MISSED IT THE FIRST TIME, WHAT MEAN PEOPLE!!  BUT FUNNY!! :lol:

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Save A Horse...Ride a Cowboy
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 09:13:40 AM »
Did anyone watch the show last night?

I don't understand how Ivan is still in it!!!!

Travis and Benji are my FAVS!!!
thank got jaymse or however you spell his name is gone and his partner...was tired of them.

:umn:
~Honesty Is The Best Policy, But Insanity Is A Better Defense~
~Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Don't Have Film~

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 04:30:42 AM »
I'm glad Jamez and Jessica are gone.  I hated her corset-looking outfits! :groan:

Martha and Travis are very good usually, but Travis is the best of that couple.

Benji & Danielle have great chemistry, which helps them lots!

Travis & Benji will outlast their partners unless they improve as partners this week.

Heidi OVERDOES her dancing...like Nigel told her last week.  Finally,  a judge told her so hope she starts toning it down a bit this week.

I do like this show a lot!  :jumpy:

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 06:30:59 AM »
Rudy...well said....let's see what happens this week...I look forward to it weekly!! :tup:

Offline tanbuns

• Puddin's Boy Toy
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Happy Birthday Jesus
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 07:52:32 AM »
I definately agreed with the judges last week, that Jessica and Jaymz were the two that needed to go.

I agree with you Rudy, that most of the guys are better than the girls. And if a couple of the guys that struggle at times, Ivan and Musa, can make it to when they start dancing individually, they will also be strong.

For some reason, I like Ivan and Allison.  :lol:

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 09:09:39 AM »
i like alison i don't like ivan
i want to see alison with travis

Offline tanbuns

• Puddin's Boy Toy
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Happy Birthday Jesus
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 09:33:47 AM »
I guess it probably is Allison who I like the most. But I do think Ivan is a great hip hop dancer!!!

Agree that Allison and Travis would make a cute pair, and great dancing couple!!!

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 08:09:01 PM »
CeeeJay
Rudy...well said....let's see what happens this week...I look forward to it weekly!
Thanks!  Yes! Me too...look forward to it each week!  :hearts:  I love dancing and watching dancing so this show is right down my alley!! :tup: But must admit, I've never heard of some of the dance styles/types they do.  It's interesting to see how MANY different dances there are!  Wow, wish I were younger and didn't have a back prob, and I'd be out there kicking up my heels and learning new dances!
 :Cdance: :piano: :gammy: :woo2: :jiggy:
I like Ivan and Allison, esp Allison, and agree w/ you both that she and Travis would make one cool fantastic couple!  Maybe Ivan/Martha will get booted next?   Wish I hadn't taped over last week's show, so I could re-view all of them.  Martha & Travis haven't performed like they did a few weeks ago when they received huge raves from the judges and audience.

Two wks ago, Ivan/Allison danced the West Coast Swing, a very difficult dance.  All the judges LOVED their performance and Nigel said "if the finals were tonite, Allison would win!"
Then last week, this couple ended up in the bottom 3!  I was shocked outa my gourd.  :groan:  :o
I gave them all my votes!  :jam:  I'm sooo happy they're still there!  :jumpy:
I'm very curious what dance they'll draw next, and how they'll do tomorrow night.

I'm drawing a blank on which one is Natalie!!  :groan:  Need to go to the Dance site and find out.  Her partner Musa is great...that I recall.

Tanny, I agree:
...if a couple of the guys that struggle at times, Ivan and Musa, can make it to when they start dancing individually, they will also be strong.
---------------------
Hope this all makes sense!  :groan:  I'm watching BB7 and posting at the same time!!!  (can't f#rt and chew gum at the same time! :lol: )
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 08:17:23 PM by RudyRules »

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 01:17:20 AM »

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 07:27:09 AM »
excited....tonight is the night....i'll be at volleyball though during the show so i will have to tape it and watch after!!! still have rockstar and canadian idol to watch from last night.... :umn:

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 08:12:17 AM »
I get so backlogged on taping, but finally I'm caught up!  :tup:
Hey, love your caption!  "Jase - My future Ex Husband" !!  :lol3:  :lol3:

Offline tanbuns

• Puddin's Boy Toy
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Happy Birthday Jesus
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006, 03:23:32 PM »
***** SPOILER ALERT ***** SPOILER ALERT ***** SPOILER ALERT ***** SPOILER ALERT ***** SPOILER ALERT ***** SPOILER ALERT *****

from idolforums.com (I got it over at Survivor Sucks)

ok, here we go….

Judges: Nigel, Mary, Brian.

Choreographers: Tyce, Dan, and some funny little french guy.

Musa and Nat- Hip hop! Finally! and…It was whack. Totally not their fault, Dan did it and the choreography was so bad the only redeeming quality was Musa’s freaking cool tricks and They performed the heck out of it. Judges liked it sort of. Gave Musa his credit and said it was worth the wait, said Nat just kinda stood there but acted well. Meh, my least fav of the night.

Heidi and Ryan- Cha-cha. Amazing!! Heidi that is, I really never even notice that Ryan is everthere so someone else is gunna have to cover that. Judges kind of gave Ryan the Ivan-Musa treatment. Heidi was so fierce it was ridiculous. Botch a lift kinda.

Dmitry and Ashlee- Pop! This one’s for Joey…..EYELINER DMITRY!!!!!!!! Like pink converse fingerless gloves Dmitry. I thought they did really well they are so hot together. Another of Dan’s blah routines. The judges kinda went “You danced what you were given” and Brian was kinda anti-Dant the whole thing.

Allison and Ivan- Comtemporary. Let me give my unbiased review first. Very well done. Tyce’s choreo was amazing and Allison was technically good as usual. Ok the intro video ake me . Here’s just the “strictly my opinion thing”. They were way too being forced on us a Benji-Donyelle part 2. “Oh look at us we are taking this seriously…JUST KIDDING hahahaha. See? We’re goofy and weird too!! LOVE US!!”. The judges lapped it up. Nigel agreed w/ Mary that Allison should win, Mary CRIED FOR GOD’S SAKE. [/rant]. But the routine was good.

Travis and Martha- Fox Trot. Not as good as the Jaymzica one but decient. Travis slicked down his hawk and looked nice. He had really good faces. Martha looked really pretty and did quite well. Judges liked it, said Fred Astaire would be proud.

Benji and Donyelle- Broadway. Ok, seriously for a second…. . I’m done. Amazing.Amazing.Amazing. They danced to “You can’t stop the beat” from Hairspray and tore it up. They said they wanted to showcase their friendship and boy t was chessy, wonderful, and well performed. Best of the night and I swear I’m not being biased. If Donyelle’s toe still hurts you couldn’t tell. At all. Nigel said He’d be surprised if Benji didn’t win. Then he said he’d be surprised if Donyelle didn’t win. So which is it Nigel? Benji, Donyelle, or Allison. Seriously. Standing ovation from the judges,

Other tidbits…..

Stood next to Benji’s dad in line. SUCH a sweet guy. I spilt coffee on my shirt and he says “I have an extra shirt in the car but I really doubt it’d fit you” And we chatted with some of Benji’s friends a little. We got there pretty early and we’re almost stuck in the back still but we pretended to be part of Benji’s posse and got to stand on the right side of the stage.

They did this whole b-day thing for Nigel. Cake and such. The judges seem to be pretty buddy-buddy with the contestants and it worried me a little. It’s gotta be hard to cut. Good times.

ANOTHER PERSON WHHO WENT TOO

Here it comes, children
Okay you guys, I just got back from the taping. It was AMAZING! So much fun. We got placed RIGHT in front of the judges’ platform so we had a prime view of all the action. Unfortunately my friends had to leave to drive back to San Francisco right after the show, so we couldn’t hang around. But we had an awesome time!

And now, what you’ve all been waiting for… spoilers!

Nigel, Mary, and Brian were judges this week. As soon as Brian came out I could smell his cologne like whoa. He must have taken a bath in the stuff. Also of interest - Nigel said that next week we’re going to start seeing individuals dance! Interesting. Cat is slightly less irritating in person, which meant that I refrained from punching her in the face. The choreographers were Dan, Tyce, and some French guy. Now on to the couples.

Natalie/Musa - Hip Hop. They were good, although it was clearly more of a chance for Musa to finally show off. It was sort of a music video style, I guess. Natalie does more acting than dancing. Nigel liked it a lot, but Mary wasn’t really feeling it.

Heidi/Ryan - Cha Cha. First off, the song was “Sex Bomb” by Tom Jones and that is just awesome by itself. This dance was awesome - very high energy and really sexy. Of course Heidi nailed it, and I thought Ryan did quite well. The judges agreed with me. Although Nigel called Heidi a “Cabbage Patch Doll” because of the way she scrunches her face up sometimes (though, after the cameras were off he said he didn’t mean it in a bad way…) and they all sort of said that Ryan’s performance was “missing something” - he was too tense, perhaps.

Ivan/Allison - Contemporary. WOW. I was reeeeeally skeptical of Ivan pulling this off, but holy crap. I have never been an Ivan fan, but this dance was absolutely fantastic. The chemistry between them was great, and the dance itself was beautiful. The Ivanison (Allivan?) shippers will go CRAZY for this one. Allison is even more gorgeous in person, and of course she nailed this style. And her dress was pretty. I was really, really surprised by Ivan. And Mary CRIED, y’all! During the performance, you could hear multiple gasps throughout the audience, and after it ended I heard Brian say, “Wow” behind me. Wow indeed. I believe the song was by Annie Lennox.

Dmitry/Ashlee - Pop. Seriously, even Nigel was like, “WHAT IS POP?” Brian was pissy that everyone was calling it “watered down hip hop.” And apparently every pop routine has to have a guy with eyeliner and a girl with crazy hair? Anyway, I wasn’t too impressed, and neither were the judges.

Travis/Martha - Foxtrot. This was really nice! Of course it’s not the most exciting style, but they were very elegant and Mary said that Fred and Ginger would be proud. They had a couple little stumbles/little things that didn’t flow as well, but other than that a good performance. In the video, Travis was upset that they got ballroom again and said, “Am I allowed to cry on camera? Or is that a Benji thing?” HA!

Benjelle - Broadway. Holy crap, you guys. This will pretty much be the most adorable and fun thing you have ever seen. Like, I was smiling and giggling through the whole thing. Donyelle points out in the video that this week they get to show more of their “friendship” rather than the “romance” that has been prevalent in past weeks. They danced to a song from Hairspray and they were just all over the stage and over the top and fabulous. Benji was wearing slacks with a royal blue dress shirt and bright yellow tie, and Donyelle wore a bright yellow ruffly dress. Adorable. The judges gave a standing ovation. I did too. ETA: I didn’t see any sign of Donyelle’s toe bothering her. Yay!

Anywho, I tried to remember as many details as I could! You guys are welcome to ask about more details and I’ll see if I can remember!