Author Topic: 'Press Your Luck' host Peter Tomarken dead at 63  (Read 5846 times)

Offline PsychoJason

• RFF Full Member
  • youtube.com/RetroWinnipeg
    • Win with Dell
'Press Your Luck' host Peter Tomarken dead at 63
« on: March 13, 2006, 08:35:31 PM »
SANTA MONICA, Calif. - Peter Tomarken, host of the hit 1980s game show "Press Your Luck," and his wife were killed Monday when their small plane crashed in Santa Monica Bay shortly after takeoff on a volunteer medical transportation flight, authorities said. Searchers were looking for a third person reported aboard.

The bodies of Tomarken, 63, and wife Kathleen Abigail Tomarken, 41, were identified by the Los Angeles County coroner's office, said coroner's spokesman Craig Harvey.

Tomarken appeared in at least four other game shows in addition to "Press Your Luck," which was well known for contestants shouting the slogan "Big bucks, no whammies!"

The pilot was a volunteer for Angel Flight West, a nonprofit organization that provides free air transportation
for needy medical patients, said organization spokesman Doug Griffith, who withheld the pilot's name. The plane was flying to San Diego to pick up a passenger who needed to get to UCLA Medical Center for treatment, he said.

The Beech A36 went down about 9:35 a.m. while apparently trying to return to Santa Monica Airport because of engine trouble, said FAA spokesman Allen Kenitzer. The airport is about two miles inland from the ocean.

The plane, found in 19 feet of water 200 yards offshore, was registered to Tomarken, according to Federal Aviation Administration records.

Rescue boats and divers converged on the scene, about a half-mile southwest of Santa Monica Pier. The aircraft, appearing largely intact, was later towed onto the beach.

Witness Luis Garr told KNBC-TV that the plane was silent as it "kind of landed into the water."

"I didn't hear any engine. It's a big splash, a huge splash, huge splash. Then it started going down. The wings were still floating so I was, `Get out! Get out!' because the door was still available to get out and nobody came out. So the plane kept going down, down, down. It was just the tail. A surfer started swimming toward the plane and he was the first one on the scene. The lifeguard showed up. ... It had gone down."

Tomarken's agent, Fred Wostbrock, said his client's first game show was "Hit Man!," which ran 13 weeks on NBC, followed by the four-year hit "Press Your Luck" on CBS.

"He was always a fun guy to be around, and he just loved the genre of game shows," Wostbrock said.

In 1987, Tomarken was on ABC with a show called "Bargain Hunters," and then went to the syndicated "Wipe-Out" in 1990. He returned to game shows in 2000 with the program "Paranoia."

I'll leave it up to all of you to see if you would want to talk about this on any platform (forum, radio, articles):

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: 'Press Your Luck' host Peter Tomarken dead at 63
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 09:21:35 PM »
Well how about that , WOW what a shocker ..really I have heard nothing about this  , such sad news  :'(

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 09:23:59 PM »
I liked Press Your Luck. That is too bad.

He had gained a lot of weight when the Press Your Luck Documentary on GSN, but still a great person!

Rob

Offline PsychoJason

• RFF Full Member
  • youtube.com/RetroWinnipeg
    • Win with Dell
Wally Bransen: his opinon on game shows
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 10:27:57 PM »
Altough I'd hate to use this event to make a point, I think that with a guy like Wally Bransen in the chair this week, it would be a good idea to talk about what he feels about reality/game shows from his youth through to the present, and what kind of state he believes they are in at this moment. I'm sure that with the right words, he might be able to disucss a lot about the subject if he wants to...

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Cheers from the Eiffel Tower
    • Carrot Sticks & Cottage Cheese
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 06:48:54 AM »
No Whammies! No Whammies! No Whammies! STOP!  :trashy:
When all is said and done, there is nothing more to say.