Author Topic: EP3 Title : I'm in Russia Playing with the Dolls  (Read 53002 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: EP3 Title : I'm in Russia Playing with the Dolls
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2006, 01:19:04 AM »
This picture was taken between 6:53 and 7:30 am in Brotas (assumes November 10th).
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2006, 01:25:08 AM »
Moscow State University? (thanks to slowhatch's link)

I think 20 degrees fahrenheit is -6 degrees centigrade in chilly Moscow.

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2006, 01:29:47 AM »
I think that the shooting date of Moscow in TAR9 was November 11 or November 12, 2005.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2006, 01:44:56 AM »
This promo clip was shot here:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Hi-Fi

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2006, 08:28:19 AM »
Dave/Lori are absent from the previews again. What's up with that??

And Wanda/Desiree are shown having problems. Should we assume they're safe??

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2006, 09:51:59 AM »
Count the matryoshka dolls.

Area:
Using the picture of the stage I estimated that the three tables have diameters of 21.0, 10.3, and 3.3 feet (the accuracy is artificial, it’s just an artifact of using a ruler against my monitor).  The width of the ring-shaped tables is 1.7 feet.  The gap or missing part of each ring is about 2 feet wide.  All together the table top area is 157 square feet.

Density:
I see 12”, 8”, 7”, and 6” dolls that have diameters of about one half their heights.  I arranged on the 157 square feet of tabletop (gedanken experiment here) 58 of the 12” dolls, 88 of the 8” dolls, 100 of the 7” dolls, and 117 of the 6” dolls with a spatial coverage density of 80%.  That means that, looking down, 80% of the table top is covered by a doll. 

How Many Dolls:
Looking at the shot of dolls next to Lake I estimated 7 dolls inside the 6” doll.  From that, just say that the 7” is 10 dolls, the 8” is 12 dolls, and the 12” is 14 dolls.  It does not look like these dolls go to the extreme of the example I posted earlier.  Working it all out there are 3804 dolls.  Taking all the dolls apart would involve 3441 acts of separation.

How long to find a clue:
Assume that there are 9 clues hidden in the collection.  Then the expected average number of separations a team would have to do is 382.  Say that it takes 1 second to separate a doll.  Then one racer should find a clue in 382 seconds or just over 6 min.  Half that time for both doing the task.  If it takes longer that one second to get a doll apart then the expected time gets longer in proportion.  Sometimes they get stuck and it is hard to open them.

But the clue may be in the last 9 dolls so that you might have to go through 3795 dolls before you succeeded.  Also there may be more than nine clues since if there were only 9, the last teams would have tremendously greater odds facing them.  This happened to our nice girls in the hayfield in Norway; they spent hours and never found the last clue in one of those hay bales.

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Cheers from the Eiffel Tower
    • Carrot Sticks & Cottage Cheese
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2006, 09:55:01 AM »
Yea, wasn't it sad to see them spend so much time on the bales of hay? Especially since they got there so early. I'm thinking that the clue was uncovered but not discovered. Maybe she didn't spend enough time searching the hay after it was unbailed.
When all is said and done, there is nothing more to say.

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2006, 10:16:22 AM »
<< flipped ,which would change the time 7:35

Eric/Jeremy checked in @ 7:35pm so they didn't do a good job at the detour. They know how to swim so they can do the diving roadblock fast.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2006, 10:18:24 AM »
GMan
But the clue may be in the last 9 dolls so that you might have to go through 3795 dolls before you succeeded.  Also there may be more than nine clues since if there were only 9, the last teams would have tremendously greater odds facing them.  This happened to our nice girls in the hayfield in Norway; they spent hours and never found the last clue in one of those hay bales.

I'm thinking that if their separation speed is one per second then the fast finishers will be coming out in 3 or 4 minutes.  If they have Marshall's luck (think chocolate) then they will have to open 80% of the dolls and that works out to 2753 separations which would take 23 min.  If the dolls are fussy (think padlocks) and it takes 3 sec per separation then we are looking at 1 hour and 9 min.  These times are corrected for having both racers working on the task. 

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2006, 10:37:24 AM »
but then again, in this scene, Eric or Jeremy is still in the daytime. It's not very far from the pitstop.

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2006, 11:15:47 AM »
her hair is not wet so the doll task comes before the diving task unless the vidcap is not clear.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 12:20:08 AM by banzai »

Offline amikino

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2006, 11:22:23 AM »
Just to point something out here regarding the time in Moscow.  On November 11, 2005, sunrise was 7:57am and sunset was 4:30 pm.  On November 12, 2005, sunrise was 7:59am and sunset was 4:28pm.

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2006, 11:27:20 AM »
<< flipped ,which would change the time 7:35

Eric/Jeremy checked in @ 7:35pm so they didn't do a good job at the detour. They know how to swim so they can do the diving roadblock fast.

The first episode this season didn't have a 12-hour pitstop. This one might not either.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2006, 11:41:17 AM »
Some observations:

1.  The picture of Eric and Jeremy at the clue box has NOT been flipped.  Notice that his jacket is buttoned left to right this is the way a man buttons his jacket (women do the opposite, but don't ask me why.)  Also note that the center onion dome behind his is red; the center dome from the red square side is blue.  This shot was taken outside of red square (I doubt the Russians would even allow CBS to set up multiple cameras etc in Red Square where access is very limited being next to the Prresidents office in the Kremlin which forms one side of Red Square (GUM department store forms the other).  So I believe that this shot is in the plaza before you get to Red Square with Russia House to the right and the Kremlin to the left.  For me it looks like the sun is just about to come up so it is probably around 7:30AM. The light on their faces is not from a rising sun, it is flood lights provided by the camera team.

2.  The picture of the "wedding cake" building although similar to the one up in Sparrow Hills which is the Moscow State University is not of the University.  The University is in a park setting up in Sparrow Hills (formerly known as Lenin Hills and offers a grand view over all of Moscow).  This picture looks like it is on a busy street.  It could possibley be the Foreign Ministry or the Ukraine Hotel two more of the seven Stalinist Gothic structures known as "wedding cakes".  All of them are pretty much the same.  The Foreign Ministry is on a very busy street Smolenskaya Ploshchad near the shopping area of Ulitsa Arbat.  The Ukraine Hotel looks out over the Moscow River on one side but on the other side it is on Ulitsa Novyy Arbat which leads right from the river to Kremlin and Red Square. So it may be that this is from a cab heading toward the Kremlin: St. Basil's Cathedral, Alexander Gardens the site of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Bolshoi Theatre, National Hotel and the Manege (more about this below)

3.  The vidpix of the building with columns is I believe the Manege on Manezhnaya Ploshchad.  It was built in 1817 as a parade ground for the military.  After the roof collapsed in 1823 a clonnade and Frieze was added to the exterior and columns to the interior.  It is now a central exhibition Hall and was the site of the famous Kruschev-Nixon debate.  It is just west of the Kremlin. This could be the site of the dancers, orchestra and doll display.

I have asked Puddin to post some of my pix which adds color to this report.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2006, 12:00:33 PM »
Gmans personal pictures . thank you for sharing  :kuss:
Hotel Ukraine

Moscow State University

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2006, 12:07:38 PM »
that settles that Gman is RIGHT !! Good observations Gman !!!!!!! Even the Columbia logo on Jeremys jacket is proof enough ..

:angel:  :-[  , I think I'll go look for some survivor spoilers now ........  )

flipped

( vidcaps thanks to tarflies )
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 12:10:48 PM by puddin »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2006, 12:21:32 PM »
Yep, I agree, but for non-fashion reasons.  The clue is the red/white swirly onion dome on the cathedral.  It's only on the side outside of Red Square.
The boys are standing outside of Red Square (green X). Clock tower is at blue arrow.  Purple arrow is twin-spired historic museum at far side of square, opposite St Basil's. (see link)   http://www.myphotographs.net/russia/image10.html

Just for reference, yellow arrow is Lenin's Tomb, and red arrow is Tomb of Unknown Soldier.

So that put's the time @ 4:25 ???  Back to square one.  :-\

Edited: because I always have trouble with links
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 04:13:22 PM by Boingo »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2006, 02:00:30 PM »
This promo clip was shot here:

Was looking at Chateau's ID of the vidcap location of the cars on the street, and it looks like they are racing to the pitstop as they are one block away from St. Basil's.  Lot's of daylight, possibly late afternoon.  Given the time on the clock,  wouldn't that make the start of the next leg 12 hours later, possibly 4:25AM?    :-\

Offline never0102

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2006, 02:08:50 PM »
Dave/Lori are absent from the previews again. What's up with that??

And Wanda/Desiree are shown having problems. Should we assume they're safe??

Dont assume on WD safe.  They are my pic to be gone based on like tradition of the last seasons [6 and 7].  Both of those seasons went A boy/boy team to be eliminated followed by two girl girl teams.  The second girl girl team to be eliminated was a clueless team and the third girl girl team eliminated was on that had been doing very good in leg one and fell back in leg 2[Lina and Kristy and Debbie and Bianca] so i feel this points to Wanda and Deseriree if continues.

Also MANY teams were shown on the previews and to be eliminated. Ali and Donny, Kami and Karli, Meredith and Gretchen, Meredith and Maria, Lori and Bolo, Hayden and Aaron, The Godlewski's[Twice] just to name a few. 

Maybe the roadblock is before the detour?? and thats why EJ are jumping in the day and arrive late at pit stop???  I know in Hungary after the were in the pool they dried rather quickly.

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2006, 02:17:45 PM »

if they share the same van, then how can this team goes to this detour and that team goes to another detour? hmm ???

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2006, 02:36:23 PM »
Is this David in the background (far left)? I don't know if he is that large.

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2006, 02:36:29 PM »
Chaika Sports Complex      
Address: Turchaninov Pereulok 1/3
Metro: Park Kultury
Tel: 246-1344
This is a very popular pool among young people. If you are at all interested in bathing suit fashion, this is the place to go. There are 25-meter and 50-meter open-air pools with a water temperature of 27 degrees Celsius. Open daily 7:00 - 22:15. Admission: 150 rbls. Monthly membership: 200 - 750 rbls. The place also offers a mini-golf court, 5 tennis courts, beauty salon and a restaurant.

I guess the water is around 29 degrees Celsius. Check out the background.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2006, 02:38:52 PM »
What's the other detour?  I thought the diving was a roadblock, as only one racer is seen doing it.  The dolls is one detour, what's the other?

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2006, 02:51:32 PM »
What's the other detour?  I thought the diving was a roadblock, as only one racer is seen doing it.  The dolls is one detour, what's the other?

Searching for graves at Novodenichy Convent and Cemetary per vid caps 57-62 (back on page 3)

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2006, 03:56:43 PM »
backpack
no backpack

I think puddin talked about it a few pages back
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 12:12:36 AM by banzai »