Author Topic: The Schroeders on the Early show  (Read 4554 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
The Schroeders on the Early show
« on: October 19, 2005, 12:17:49 PM »
Family Loses 'Race,' Gain Friends

"You get so wrapped up that I just broke down and I couldn't handle it anymore because I felt the race slipping away."

Stassi Schroeder

NEW YORK, Oct. 19, 2005
(CBS) The seven remaining teams from "The Amazing Race: Family Edition" continued their journey through the southern states. This time, the racing was through pre-Katrina Mississippi and Louisiana. Unfortunately for the Schroeder family, being from New Orleans didn't help them out in the end.

"We just could not find Fairview Riverside Park," Mark Schroeder said. "It's about 30 minutes from our house, but we've just never been there. The map we had sucked. The print was so small. We had ridden 20 minutes in the wrong direction before we realized we had passed it."

"We were looking for a park near a river," his wife, Char, told The Early Show co-anchor Harry Smith.

Their daughter Stassi, 17, added: "We just headed straight for the river, which put us back 40 minutes. We didn't think Lake Ponchartrain. It is Fairview Riverside Park."

Stress had accumulated for the Schroeders. The night before, Stassi had broken into tears, frustrated because the family could not find the overnight hold.

"I think what people don't realize is just how involved we get in the show," Stassi said. "I mean emotionally, physically, mentally; it completely comes over you, and you get so wrapped up that I just broke down and I couldn't handle it anymore because I felt the race slipping away."

The problem? "We spent four hours driving around that little town looking for the trailer park," Mark said. "You don't realize the amount of time and effort we spent. We looked in two phone books."

"We asked that sheriff and he told us," Char said. "And we thought a mobile home park? You're not going to do a detour or something there. Why would we go there? So we just blew it off and kept on going. Right in front of our face, that's what's killing us."

She said it wasn't until they got to the mat that they knew they were the last team to arrive.

"We were hoping another family had gotten lost in the French Quarter," Char said. "We knew the exact route to get to Preservation Hall, so we made up a lot of time. We knew where to park, where to run, etc. And the French Quarter was packed at that time. But at the same time we all had a sense of impending doom."

Now they all can laugh about it, but during the race, Stassi and her dad were having trouble getting along.

"We're great. There's nothing between us," Mark said. "We're just both extremely competitive."

"We're very passionate people," Stassi added. "And when we get a goal in our head, we just go for it and we end up butting heads. But we get over arguments within five minutes."

At the end of the show, they mentioned the experience brought them together as a family, and they learned they can deal with adversity. Weeks later, Hurricane Katrina came and they had to evacuate. Their house was destroyed.

"It's gutted down to the studs," Mark said. "There's nothing left in our house. No toilets, no sinks, no cabinets. Everything had to be torn out. So we're rebuilding, as I'm sure everyone will be in New Orleans."

But for two weeks, Mark said, the Rogers family offered their house and took care of them. "They were extremely wonderful."

"They're without a doubt the most amazing people," Stassi said.

Char added: "All the families from the 'Race' put together gifts, cards. Some gave us checks, clothes, and a little man from the Rogers' church drove all of that down to us at Baton Rouge."

They may have lost the big prize but, Mark said, "The whole race was an incredible experience that we'll cherish the rest of our lives."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/19/earlyshow/series/amazingrace/main954918.shtml

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: The Schroeders on the Early show
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 12:25:00 PM »
The Schroders are Live on The Finish Line
I'll transcribe later cause I missed most of it  :yaya:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race8/

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 12:32:01 PM »
They do not like the Weavers ..they call them cheaters and said they broke rules . They call them whiners & complainers .

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 01:33:26 PM »
The finish line Video for Media Player or Realone .

pt1 cgi.cbs.com/vplayer/timeplay2.pl?type=wmv&id=16293
 pt 2 cgi.cbs.com/vplayer/timep...v&id=16294

pt 3 cgi.cbs.com/vplayer/timep...v&id=16295
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 01:41:58 PM by puddin »

Offline cinni

• mind is tiffany twisted
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • defying gravity
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 02:39:08 PM »
They do not like the Weavers ..they call them cheaters and said they broke rules . They call them whiners & complainers .

wonder if that means they go a lot farther? maybe even final 3? or just didn't like losing to them.
always remember....when life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 02:45:05 PM »
The Weavers are getting some odd editing . The Aiello's also complained about the Weavers ..I think they are final 3  |( . There was a spoiler in Canada about a family with 1 adult 3 children , no further details . Could be the Bransens or the Weavers ..maybe both ? I love the Bransens , they are my favs ..and of course the Paolo's are winning me over as a fan  =]/ , I'm lovin the parents ..the kids need some work !!

Offline cinni

• mind is tiffany twisted
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • defying gravity
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 02:51:06 PM »
i'm really loving the bransen and linz families right now, especially together. i suspect that they go to the final 3 together or one goes at #4. they're both getting that fan favorite going out at #4 editting now. the paolos remind me a lot of lori/bolo and that they go out spectacularly along the way somewhere. we'll all be very sad when they go. they're editting has softened up.
always remember....when life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
“We Lost Everything But We are Still a Family”
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 11:35:29 AM »
“We Lost Everything But We are Still a Family” - An Interview with the Amazing Race 8’s Schroeder Family
by Jenn Brasler -- 10/20/2005

How are the Schroeders coping after Hurricane Katrina? What would they have done differently if they’d had the chance? How much time did it take them to find the Southern Colonel? Find out in our interview with the latest team eliminated from The Amazing Race 8.
RealityNewsOnline: Hi, Schroeder family! Congrats on getting as far in the race as you did. First of all, you all are okay in the wake of Katrina, right?

The Schroeders: We are physically fine but somewhat demoralized after losing everything in our house. Our home is presently gutted down to the studs and we plan to rebuild our home. We will be whole again soon.

RNO: What did you learn about each other on the race?

The Schroeders: We knew going in to the race that we each had a unique talent and those talents played out on the race.

RNO: Who did you see as your biggest competition?

The Schroeders: We originally thought it was the Rogerses and the Aiellos, and perhaps that is why we become so close to them.

RNO: Other than the Rogerses, did you connect with any other team?

The Schroeders: We connected with all of the teams with the exception of the Weavers. We speak to all of them on a regular basis and they’ve been incredibly generous in our time of need.

RNO: Mark, why didn’t you want to stop and ask for directions or check a phone book on the way to the Southern Colonel?

Mark: What you didn’t see on the race is that we had previously stopped and checked two phone books before checking the third phone book, in which we actually found it.

RNO: Char, why didn’t you want Hunter to talk to Rolly?

Char: Rolly was specifically asking Hunter about our strategy and somewhat bullying other team members, specifically the kids. I didn’t want to give away strategy.

RNO: Why did you all not like the Weavers?

The Schroeders: They played without integrity, breaking rules at every turn. They also complained about how they didn’t want to be on the race and wanted to go. We enjoyed every minute of the race, which is why we were so broken down on the mat when we were eliminated.

RNO: Do you all think you chose the right detour task in the last leg?

The Schroeders: We got lost for 40 minutes, so either choosing one detour over another wouldn’t have really mattered. In addition, we were stopped on the Causeway Bridge by a police officer for having not paid the correct toll, adding to our lapse in time.

RNO: Why did you take the 8:00 departure time? When did you realize that it was a mistake?

The Schroeders: We arrived third in Hattiesburg and then proceeded to search for the Southern Colonel for four and a half hours. By the time we made it to the mobile home park, we were emotionally and physically spent. We had actually been searching dozens of trailers before finding ANY departure.

RNO: If you could have done one thing differently, what would it be?

The Schroeders: We would have kept searching for the trailers with the early departure time as Stassi insisted.

RNO: How has your family changed since the race?

The Schroeders: We lost everything but we are still a family.

RNO: Thanks for doing this interview! I hope that you all are doing well and stay close as a family.

http://www.realitynewsonline.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl?mode=1&article=article9329.art&page=1

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 11:55:40 AM »
RNO: Do you all think you chose the right detour task in the last leg?

The Schroeders: We got lost for 40 minutes, so either choosing one detour over another wouldn’t have really mattered. In addition, we were stopped on the Causeway Bridge by a police officer for having not paid the correct toll, adding to our lapse in time.

They ran the toll Booth!!!?   (:;)

Since they told Harry Smith on The Early Show that it was just minutes that separated them from the 2nd to last team here is another fatal mistake.  Let's count.

1)  Taking 4.5 hours to find the trailer park.
2)  Grabbing 8:00 departure when there was still a 7:40 available (editing? here, if it was 4.5 hours then the Paolos had been there hunting for about 4 hours)
3)  Route choices to the park
4)  Thinking the park was on the Mississippi
5)  Running the toll booth on Lake Pontchartrain
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 01:47:16 PM »
They said they should have taken 55 south as well as looked for the earlier time
Char says in her Finish Line interview that they spent 4&1/2 hours lost  ;) and said that it was like a 10 to 12 hour spread ..they were confused and were looking for a KFC .

Part 2 of the interview
http://cgi.cbs.com/vplayer/timeplay2.pl?type=wmv&id=16294

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
The Schroeders TV Guide Interview
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 11:49:57 PM »
Family's Race Was Calm Before the Storm
by Rochell D. Thomas

The Schroeders

Call it embarrassing, ironic or hitting them where it hurts. The Schroeders of New Orleans — Mark, 40, Char, 39, Stassi, 17, and Hunter, 15 — were practically in their own backyard when they were eliminated from CBS' The Amazing Race: The Family Edition (just like New York's Frank and Margarita from Season 1 and San Fran's Will and Tara from Season 2). But unlike any other team before them, the Schroeders' biggest adventure started after the race ended.

TVGuide.com: You got lost trying to find a park that, by your own admission, was one mile from where you used to work. One mile!
Mark: Yeah. I'm not a big park-goer. I had no idea that park was there.
Char: Nor did I. None of us blame Mark for not knowing there was a state park there.

TVGuide.com: How long did it take to get over that?
Mark: That's one of the reasons we were so upset. We felt like [we were] not only letting ourselves down, we were letting the whole city down. We knew so many people were rooting for us. To get kicked out in your hometown just seemed twice as bad.

TVGuide.com: Since you were eliminated in New Orleans, were you able to go home and get different clothes?
Stassi and Char: Absolutely not!
Mark: We make jokes about it with the staff, but we knew it was not going to happen.

TVGuide.com: Why not? Is it prearranged that, even if you're eliminated on your doorstep, you have to go to The Amazing Race's secret, private, post-race place?
Mark: That's it exactly.

TVGuide.com: Hunter, you were on tape in the second episode calling your stepmother, Char, "such a bitch." Tell us about the conversation you had when you and Char watched that together.
Hunter: I didn't even remember saying that. My sister was just aggravating me and I meant to say that about my sister, but they just edited it the wrong way.
Char: We were both in shock. It was edited so it looked like he said that about me. We all looked around and tried to figure out how and when it happened.

TVGuide.com: Can you tell me about something you actually did say that you wish you could take back?
Mark: Basically all my comments on the first show about the Godlewski team; I didn't remember saying any of those things. I ended up feeling horrendously bad afterwards, because they turned out to be such wonderful people. I was obliged to send Sharon Godlewski a dozen roses.

TVGuide.com: What do you all have against the Weaver family from Florida? Last week, you said they were evil and you called them white trash.
Stassi: Technically, they kind of are.
Mark: They started the race [wearing] $2 flip-flops.

Stassi: And [short-shorts that looked like] underwear!
Mark: This is The Amazing Race, not "The Amazing Let's Go Feed the Chickens!" Everyone was shocked; we thought they were going to be the first team out.
Stassi: Hence the "white trash" title.
Mark: On top of that, as much as we wanted [to be on the show] and loved every minute of the Race, we had to listen to them complaining about everything.
Stassi: And they were so rude. They spent the entire time being spiteful and mean. Then they would try to come back and be friends. I do feel for them about their dad, and they were very brave in doing what they did last [week], but there's no reason for me to forget what they did to us and just let everything go.

TVGuide.com: We know you stayed with the Rogers family afterwards, but were you back home in New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina hit?
Stassi: My parents woke me and my brother up at 7 am on Sunday [Aug. 28] and said we were heading to the Rogers' [because) it was a Category 5 and we needed to get out. We were driving two different cars on our way to Shreveport, and we ran into each other! Our two cars were ruined. We were stuck during the hurricane in Covington, not far from Fairview Riverside Park — five minutes away. About three days later we were able to get out and reach the Rogers.
Char: The Rogerses wanted to send a car down, while the hurricane was brewing, and have someone physically pick us up and take us to Shreveport.

TVGuide.com: That's so sweet! Thank goodness you weren't hurt. Where are you living now?
Char: For the first two weeks we lived with the Rogers, then we moved to the Baton Rouge area.

TVGuide.com: The Rogers family told us that all but one of this season's teams rallied to help you after Katrina. Is it safe to say that the holdouts were the Weavers?
Mark: In all fairness, I don't even know if they know our address or phone number. Who's to say that had they known where we were, they wouldn't have done something? I don't want to make a general statement like that, that everybody helped but them.
Stassi: But it's safe to say it was the Weavers.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Insider/?cmsGuid=%7B8C9530F1-D7FB-4AB2-B557-F50571E93D1E%7D

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 12:16:55 AM »
TVGuide.com: Hunter, you were on tape in the second episode calling your stepmother, Char, "such a bitch." Tell us about the conversation you had when you and Char watched that together.
Hunter: I didn't even remember saying that. My sister was just aggravating me and I meant to say that about my sister, but they just edited it the wrong way.
Char: We were both in shock. It was edited so it looked like he said that about me. We all looked around and tried to figure out how and when it happened.

I guess we will have to ask Rolly!  8-)'

TVGuide.com: The Rogers family told us that all but one of this season's teams rallied to help you after Katrina. Is it safe to say that the holdouts were the Weavers?

Hey!  Didn't they initially say "nine teams helped ..."  ]*]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 12:24:00 AM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders