Author Topic: EP6: "I'm Sick Of Doing Stuff I Can't Do "  (Read 36690 times)

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP6: "I'm Sick Of Doing Stuff I Can't Do "
« Reply #150 on: November 01, 2005, 08:32:06 PM »
OMG, today while I should have been working I was fishing around looking for clues instead. I was looking for better match for what we thought was Quepos and really thought they might go to Jaco instead. It is closer and only 2 hours away. I even found this pic! Oh, how I wish I would have posted my findings this afternoon.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #151 on: November 01, 2005, 09:06:40 PM »
Nice picture supsandalee !!

Whoo Hooo .. The Paolo's team #1 .. noone believed in them but me  |#' !! Now next weeks another story  ]][

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #152 on: November 01, 2005, 09:19:32 PM »
Now, now I had them listed first in 1 of my scenarios.  {l{ I just second guess myself all the time which usually gets me in trouble (still crying over the Schroeders).

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #153 on: November 01, 2005, 09:59:12 PM »
LOL supsandalee .. {l{ I was also second guessing but kept saying no no ..the confessional is telling the story.....Team #1 ! And what cool prizes  |#'

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2005, 12:35:56 AM »
We’ve got shadows!

We’ve got orientation! Well, a slope up a volcano.

So I’ve got times.

And the Gaghans got trouble!

It looks like the row of white pole goes east-west (maybe pointing to the north a little). We see sister Linz with a morning shadow. I guess to be from 9:30 to 10:30 am. Then Ma Gaghan has her bean at what looks like 11:30 to 12:00 noon.

So much GREAT speculation and spoiling  .. no idea where to begin  |#' :congrats: ALL TAR detectives !!

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2005, 11:23:19 AM »
Gee, Chateau, even with all those shadows you may be slipping.  You had the Paolos leaving at 9:45PM and they actually left at 8:22PM; the other five teams you had leaving between 11:23 and 11:55, 1:38 after the Paolos: and actually they left from 9:11 to 9:43. Your spread for the five was 32 minutes; the actual spread was 32 minutes!!! NOT BAD AT ALL, MS. CHATEAU!!! The Fast Forward for the Paolos actually only gained them a mere 49 minutes!!

And since the three buses were chartered for the 16 hour trip to San Jose, I wonder why they had them not leave until 11:30AM which made the arrival of he first bus at 3:30AM in San Jose. And then they all had to wait until the park opened at 8:00AM. Strange, but even if the buses did leave at daybreak, they wouldn't arrive until late in the evening anyway.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2005, 11:47:48 AM »
I suspect the teams did not leave in the standard 12 or 36 hours.  Because when the Godlewskis checked in at Miraflores you get to see Phil's watch and it says 11:55.  And so does the watch on the greeter.  The shot of the watches was actually when he takes their money.  So maybe they got there a bit before that.  Everything just seams shifted by about 2 hours.  I messed up with the Paolos time.  No explanation but it was a bit overcast so the shadows were not crisp for them.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 02:49:58 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #157 on: November 02, 2005, 05:37:58 PM »
Wow Chateau .. checking out the watches  :yaya: !!
Watching the Finish line
part 1
http://cgi.cbs.com/vplayer/timeplay2.pl?type=wmv&id=16664

the Gaghans no problem with the Weavers ..they think the hate started in Virginia when the Weavers came in first and they didn't socialize with the other teams .. the Weavers just stayed in their room.
Dad Gaghan tells us that they watched the show last night with the Paolos and think that the Paolo's were hurt by the comments that the Weavers said about the garbage truck and all .
The Gaghans said the Roadblock only took then 30 to 45 minutes .
They say they were only 3 minutes behind the Weavers but the man that they picked up to guide them actually may of hurt them , he took them through the back roads to Jaco .

part 2
http://cgi.cbs.com/vplayer/timeplay2.pl?type=wmv&id=16665

the Gaghans love the Paolo's ...there fighting is not an act ..it comes natural to them but they really love each other . They say that the Paolo's will be the team to beat even though you wouldn't have thought so in the beginning .
The Gaghans actually applied for the race and were surprised that there wern't more teams with chidren , also they were a little dissappointed that the teams did not race international because thats where there travel experience would have come in handy . They even studied airlines and times .
The Gaghans owe Carissa a bungee jump ..its the one thing they really wanted to do .

part 3
http://cgi.cbs.com/vplayer/timeplay2.pl?type=wmv&id=16666

Grandma Gaghan calls in and tells us her fav part is when the Gaghans family sprinted by the Weavers at the mud-bog .
Al -Clown gives his weekly call  :roll:
He wants to know whats up with the Weavers ..
The Gaghans said that maybe since they had small children the other teams left them out of the loop about the Weavers but they knew there were tensions between the teams .
They defend the Paolos and say that the Paolo's move to yield the Weavers was more of a strategic move .
Then Tammy mom gives the Weaver mom credit for being the driving force behind the Weaver team

« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 06:15:58 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #158 on: November 02, 2005, 07:31:37 PM »
insider clips
Dirty Girls
the Bransens talk about there dirty clothes from the rainforest task

Do onto others
The Weavers trashing the other family's while being yielded

Above Everything
The Weavers talk about morals and that they are not lieing and conniving and that they were not going to play the game and defeat other peoples characters and  they are responsable to a  higher authority and are going to go as far as they can even though they feel the other teams may cost them the game  but go on to trash the other teams ..." its all lies , even down to their hair color , bottled blonde's . "

Strategic move
The Paolos discuss why the yielded the Weavers ..basically they have been conniving / deceiving and two faced and have only wanted help from the other teams when it benefited them . The Weavers wanted nothing to do with the other teams when they were in first place , now the Weavers want other teams to book them flights . They also said that the Weavers are strong and get places as if magic ..they are very lucky .
They yielded the Weavers because  they were last at the Roadblock and all other teams were standing right behind them .

Kindness of strangers
A sweet Panomonian woman gives the Godlewskis money and even offers them her bag with coins . She makes them take the bag with the coins and they  hug her ...she comes back and plants her hat on Chris then walks away . Really nice video .

Chatty Kathy
The sisters driving and complimenting each other

Not so kind
The Weavers give the Godlewskis money but with strings attached , the Weaver mom tried to blackmail them by telling them that she expected a map in return ..they gave her a map ..any old map and were hoping to be the ones that would yield the Weavers . They are now afraid that Mom weaver thinks they are her best friend .. they wanted to give the 5 $ back and rip the map up  {l{

Hard work pays off

The Paolos talk about what a rough day it was and how they all pulled together to come in first place ..they were exhausted .It took mom 10 minutes to find the bean ..everything was perfect. They are thrilled with the prizes .

Quality time

The Bransens talk about how they gave it there all and that they got to talk to Phil for along time at the mat because the other teams were so far behind .

Birthday gift
The Linzes have kind words for the Bransens ..Walder was telling Megan to go on and get ahead of them and the one Bransen sister held her hand and helped her along before her brother picked her up and carried her ..also it was Megans B-Day ..the boys want her to have a well deserved beer .

Family first
The Weavers dont understand why the other teams dont like them and how they love each other and that they were raised that they were important and to only trust family & God not other people .
They dont understand why the other teams have alliances when it comes down to only one family that will win " why make buddy buddy friends ? it  doesn't make sense ? Why Why ? its stupid " . They think the other teams have formed an alliance against them . It frustrates mom Weaver that they were yielded and does not want the game to tuen into the Weavers are bad .

The Gaghans parting words

seen it , Phil chokes up little girl crys  :unde: , Actually Dad talks about how proud he is that they ran a clean race and worked well together with each other as well as other teams ..no regrets on how they treated people

Harsh Reality
The Weavers talk to Phil about how shabbily they were treated by the other teams . They tell Phil that theres more to life than bashing each other ..
Rolly says his goal is the final three ..they are already beyond their expectations .

Great Adventures
More of the Gaghans talking with Phil

Rolling in dough
the Godlewskis tell Phil that they made 75$ begging and that all the teams chipped in 5$ and ate at McDonalds and how nice everyone was to them today even the gas station man . Phil says all the team? even the Weavers ? they say yes ..
they tell Phil that they shared a map with the Weavers ..not directions.

Confidence builder

the Bransens talk to Phil on the mat and how second guessing cost them another win to the pitstop .
They loved the rainforest and thought that was as good as winning the race .

the end

« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 07:39:51 PM by puddin »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #159 on: November 02, 2005, 07:58:57 PM »
This
Birthday gift
The Linzes have kind words for the Bransens ..Walder was telling Megan to go on and get ahead of them and the one Bransen sister held her hand and helped her along before her brother picked her up and carried her ..also it was Megans B-Day ..the boys want her to have a well deserved beer .
is important!   :]   If we can get external research on what day that really is then we have a way to pin down the timeline.  Also need to know when the video was made in terms of where it fits along the show.  I have not seen it.  Is it in Panama or in Costa Rica?
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2005, 09:12:06 PM »
Maybe good ole Phil never adjusted his watch for the time change from Eastern Daylight Saving time and Central Standard Time which is in effect in Panama (two hour time diff.) Just a wild idea. Otherwise they may be just having rest periods of some strange arbitrary time span. Phil never says how long the pit stop lasts in this show, just that it is a mandatory rest stop.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2005, 09:14:52 PM »
Its on Costa Rica , Chateau , your too much  |#' ..they talk about how Megans brother carried her to the  pitstop and how the Bransens were trying to wave them to get ahead of them . And they say they are in Costa Rica .

http://cgi.cbs.com/vplayer/timeplay2.pl?type=wmv&id=16632

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #162 on: November 03, 2005, 12:44:02 PM »
Ma Gaghan has no sense of time.  She says that they only spent 30 to 40 minutes doing the Roadblock, BUT, they started off second and four teams had found the bean by the time the Weavers arrived after a 60 minute YIELD. So Ma Gaghan must have spent at least 70 minutes finding the red bean!!

Curious editing here at the Coffee Planation.  Paolos are first and as they read clue we see the Godlewski Sisters approaching the clue box and removing clue.  Next the Gaghans are listed second and as they read their clue we see Papa Bransen taking clue from clue box. Then the Bransens are listed Third; the Linz listed as Fourth; and finally the Godlewski Sisters are listed Fifth.  WHA' HOPPENED??

Final note on pit stop arrival times.  If Phil's watch is correct showing 11:55AM, we can figure backward from the announced departure time of the Godlewski sisters which is 9:43PM (Last) and the announced departure time of the Paolo family 8:22(first) a difference of 1:21 that the Paolo family arrived at the pit stop at 10:22AM.  So that means that the pitstop was for a strange duration of 34 hours.
But if Phil's watch has not been changed from Eastern DAYLIGHT Time, then the Paolos would have arrived at 8:22AM and the pit stop would have lasted 36 hours.  Could the Paolos starting at 7:00AM when the boats became available at STRI boat dock, ride out to the Isla, return to the dock, find a Red Bus, go to the shipyard, do the bungee jump, and then ride the bus to the Meraflores lock forthe pit stop by 8:22 - an hour and 22 minutes?  Which suggests that Phil's watch was correct and the pit stop was a strange 34 hours!

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #163 on: November 03, 2005, 03:18:01 PM »
Yes.  I am really certain about some of the sun shadows that appear in the show.  The most pinpointing of all are when the Linzen and, later, the Gaghans go running up a stairway with a steel pipe handrail.  The shadow of the rail is directly below the rail itself (off by only 1/2 inch for the Linzen and 3/4 inch for the Gaghans)  This tells us, with precision, that the sun's azimuth exactly matched the run of the stairway.  From Google Earth we can see that that stairway run is exactly perpendicular to the Miraflores Locks.  The locks are oriented NW to SW at 137 degrees from north.  That means the azimuth of the sun was just about 47 degrees when those teams went up the stairs.  And that solar azimuth happened at 11:25 am.  My estimates for the teams check in times were later (11:36 & 11:42 am); remember that the shadow was offset a liitle at the base.  The shadows that I used to estimate the check in times were the roofline shadow on the large pump house building in the background when teams stood on the mat.  There I could use the solar altitude.

And here is adding up of Paolos time for the day:

7:00   40   trip to BCI
7:40   4   find clue guy
7:44   4   read clue, back to boat
7:48   40   trip to dock
8:28   15   walk/run to bus
8:43   30   bus to piers
9:13   4   walk/run to box
9:17   2   trip to top
9:19   3   suit up
9:22   3   jump one
9:25   5   jump two
9:30   2   de suit
9:32   4   walk/run to bus
9:36   9   bus to locks
9:45   3   run to mat

So wouldn't the Paolos adjusted check in time be 11:55 minus 1:21? That is 10:34 am.  The reason I got a bad estimate 9:45 was weak shadows to work with for that team. 

Also, about Phil's watch being correct, the greeter seems to have the same time on his.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2005, 09:30:50 PM »
Misc. stuff:
  • Another FF shot
  • Is the Yield time penalty set down somewhere? The "hour"glass they use looks tiny.
  • It's Elizabeth (thin face) with the bandaged left wrist. Two caps: one (clear) in the van on the way down from Poas; the second (bandaged) after they complete the bean task.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2005, 10:24:09 PM »
She's got the bandage on at the start of the Roadblock too.  See # 36.  I'm thinking it is just a sprain because she is shown driving with a wrist wrap in next week's preview.

But the injury.  When did it occur?  It's looking like it happened on the way to the Roadblock.  To be sure, sometime between when they read the clue at the volcano (clue with the FF) and when they line up to watch Wally.

In Sucks, there is a poster who claims to have been there plus or minus a few days and that it can get and did get so foggy that you can't see the volcano.  Speculation there is that there was a volcano related FF task that we don't see due to the fog.  Or (my speculation) did something happen in doing the FF and things got bad because of the fog.  So it got cut. 

Anybody feel like fine tooth combing the run up/down to the volcano, the van departure order with who's still there, and what ever else seems out of place?   }}

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2005, 11:22:50 PM »
If this helps the Gaghans were asked how they got to the Volcano so fast and told the Clown on the Finish Line that some teams stopped to potty and change their clothes ..finding the exact times maybe impossable to pinpoint . Really interesting theory though Chateau  :yaya:

off to find that Sugar cane & rum place.. |(

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #167 on: November 04, 2005, 03:25:06 PM »
Did some double-checking and fine combing on TAR6.  The clue box at the volcano site definitely had another fast forward. You see it very clearly as the Bransens read the clue about the coffee beans; in fact one girl is actually reading the FF very closely; later on the way back to the vans, one of the Linz boys is carrying the green folder openly.  So although Phil says in Ep5 in Panama that "This is the only Fast Forward hiddend on the entire race" clever editing has the first part of his statement in a voice over "This is the only Fast Forward".....then on camera he continues "hidden on the entire race."  I'm no audio engineer but there seems to be a change in pitch between the voice over and the on camera bit.  So probably re-edited after the second FF was called off.

When the teams leave the volcano, everyone is off down the road while the Bransens go into the headquarters building/shop to buy a map; one of the sisters is holding the green FF.

But later when the the teams arrive at the coffee plantation, they are all together (except for the Weavers who are missing). The Bransen girl in the green tee shirt has no bandage on her wrist at this point.  But this whole episode is strange. The teams although leaving at different times all arrive simu ltaneously and run toward the clue box.  BUT all of the teams stop and watch as the Paolos decide on who to yield.  Then they all wait until the Paolos are through and then let them be the first at the  clue box. Such courtesy?

As the Paolos read the clue, the Godlewski sisters are seen picking up the next clue; the Gaghans read the clue next ("second place") and as they do we see Papa Bransen pickup a clue. Next the Bransens  read theirs ("in third place")-the sister in Green still has no bandage on her wrist; next we have the Linz (in fourth place) and finally we get to the Godlewskies ("in fifth place") although we saw them pick up the clue before the Bransens. We do not see the bandaged wrist until later when she and her sister are standing by the rail as Meg Linz finds her red bean. This is finally the time the bandage has bee put on.

So she may indeed have fallen during the FF try; but did not have the sprain tended to until there was time during the Roadblock for the medical staff to attend to it.  And the way all the teams are bunched up (except for the Weavers) and the order they are seen going down to find the bean there may indeed have been an aborted FF and when the teams assembled again at the coffee plantation, the pecking order was revised somehow.

There was a Fast Forward envelope without any doubt. But why have a FF at the time as you have a Yield.  This would mean that if you took the FF you could not be yielded. They have been on the same ep before, but not on the same task as the yield.  I stand corrected if I remember wrongly.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 03:34:23 PM by gingerman28 »