Author Topic: 'Let me tell you about my grandson' BobbyJon  (Read 3349 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
'Let me tell you about my grandson' BobbyJon
« on: March 10, 2005, 09:14:57 PM »
'Let me tell you about my grandson'

By Jaine Treadwell, The Messenger

Sometimes when a grandmother says, "Let me tell you about my grandchild," others will buck and run.

But, not when Jimmie Drinkard utters those words. In fact, others are asking her about her grandson.

All of Pike County and half the US of A are interested in her grandson, team leader of the Ulong Tribe that is attempting to "survive" the hardships and pitfalls of Palau and outwit and outlast the other castaway tribe on the isolated island in the Pacific Ocean.

Bobby Jon Drinkard has become a household name and one of the most popular castaways of "Survivor: Palau." The fourth episode of the 2005 season will air tonight on CBS and Bobby Jon's family, friends and newfound fans will be glued to their televisions to learn the fate of their favorite survivor.

Jimmie Drinkard and her husband, Robert, are not typical reality show fans, but that have become the number one fans of "Survivor," since they learned that their 27-year-old grandson had "tried out" for the 2005 season, Survivor: Palau.

"Oh, we watch the show, record it and watch it again and again," the affable grandmother from Brundidge said. "This is0 very exciting for us."

Until their grandson called and said that he was trying out for Survivor, the Drinkards had never watched the reality show. But, that quickly changed.

"We didn't know anything much about the show but we started watching it, just in case Bobby Jon made it," Drinkard said. "We watched the last three episodes of the last one. I saw that it was very strenuous and that it wouldn't be easy to live on an island like that, but I knew Bobby Jon could do it because he keeps in shape. He has always like a challenge. He's always said about anything, 'I can do that.' So, I wasn't surprised that he would want to try out for the show."

The Drinkards knew that their grandson was trying out for Survivor, and Drinkard said she made several phone calls to him in California to see whether he made it.

"I left messages but he didn't return my calls," Drinkard said. "That was not at all like him. So, I began to think, maybe."

Drinkard told her son, Bobby, that Bobby Jon was not returning her calls.

"Bobby said, 'Mama, he's not going to call,' so I knew," Drinkard said.

She could only imagine what it was like for her grandson on the island but the mental images soon became reality.

But when Survivor: Palau aired in February, Drinkard could sit comfortably and watch the struggles and triumphs of his tribe.

"Bobby Jon came home from Australia in December, right after they had filmed the show," she said. "He had lost 20 pounds and he ate like he was starving to death. But, I knew that he was all right so when the show came on, I wasn't nervous at all. But, if the show had not been taped and I had been watching as it happen, I would really have been nervous Šand worried."

But, with her grandson safely home, Drinkard can sit back and enjoy the show and even brag a bit about her grandson.

"I've called a few of my friends and sent some of the clippings out of the newspaper," Drinkard said and added with a laugh. "I guess that might be braggin' just a little."

The show has provided an opportunity for the Drinkards to renew old friendships.

"We've had phone calls and cards from people that have moved away from Brundidge," she said. "It was so good to hear from them - people like Fred and Betty Bowers and John and Mary Robinson. And, I got a call from a high school classmate. We graduated in 1945 and we had not been in contact with each other since then. Everyone seems real interested and we enjoy hearing from people. Bobby Jon being on the show had brought a lot of people back into our lives."

Bobby Jon was featured rather prominently on the third episode as he assumed the leadership of the tribe.

"Last week, he was working, gathering wood and coconuts. He did more than his share of the work," Drinkard said, with a hint of pride in her voice. "When they had the challenge, he carried bags of sand for the others in his tribe when they couldn't do it. But, that's Bobby Jon. His attitude is 'if you can't do it, I'll do it for you.' He would give you the shirt off his back. That's just the way he is."

Jimmie and Robert Drinkard are in as much suspense about the "survival" of their grandson as everyone else is.

"No, we don't know and we knew that Bobby Jon wasn't suppose to tell, so we didn't even ask," Drinkard said. "But I think he'll be one of that last ones to leave. Do I think he'll win? No. He's too sweet. To win, I think you would have to do a lot of backstabbing. He doesn't like things like that and I just don't think he'll not it."

Not even for a million dollars?

"No. Not Bobby Jon

source~

http://www.troymessenger.com/articles/2005/03/10/news/newsss04.txt

link found at ~
http://www.survivorfever.net/index10.html
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 09:23:57 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: 'Let me tell you about my grandson' BobbyJon
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 09:22:56 PM »
Pg 1
Mersaydeez
(2/19/05 11:40 pm)
Reply   Re: Just some spoilers...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Wanda went early. Ibrehem went later pre-merge... they didn't go on the same vacation, so he probably didn't get the chance to tell her.

Bobby Jon, Ashlee and Ibrehem (all late merge I'm sure) went to Australia. I don't  know where Wanda went, but she didn't go with them. 
  /#}

Offline gammonwoman2

• " Will's honey woman "
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 09:29:26 PM »
that is so cool, puddin!!   }^!   Now i want him to do good!!  i did anyway, and i think he is a hottie!! ]*[  back to work!!! )_^>

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 09:46:49 PM »
 ]:, he doesnt do good hes probably out week 6 or 7 .

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 02:43:12 AM »
Such proud grandparents  })} |5|  Bobby Jon definitely is a hottie.  I like watching him.  ]#* ]#*

Offline Blue Jean Baby

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 04:35:43 AM »
i like Bobby Jon too and i think as many times as his team has lost and he hasnt been voted out that he has already done good.  i hope he sticks around a bit longer.  He is on my list of faves from the start, but i just can't stand the rest of his team so i always find myself rooting for the other team.  i like more of them as a whole.  i like Stephenie also but before last night i didnt see her much.  BJ, Stephenie and Tom were on my list of faves before the show started.  i hope they all do well.

Riverrat

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 08:34:01 AM »
Yeah I keep hoping Mesaydees is wrong about Bobby. She has Ibe and Bobby leaving close together but, Kim and Jeff went right after Ashlee.

Anyway, one would like to think Koror would keep a Bobby Jon over a Caryn. It doesn't show much of Koror and she is the only one that bitches on the show. Coby whines a little.  ((^ I wonder if James whupped his own a**?

Offline Mersaydeez

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 03:05:58 PM »
I hope I'm wrong about Bobby Jon too in a way... he's one of my favorites.  *8/

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 03:16:21 PM »
 Mersaydeez    })} ..agreed he's a cutie and a hard worker to bad he got stuck on a sucky tribe ..now to me Tom is a hottie , love all that grey hair   , in another topic I mentioned that I really think I met Tom once ..I live in the Pocono's near NY and we get alot of skiers here for vacation , he is just to famaliar and if im right he likes to drink Guiness beer on tap ..I was his bartender  ..or was it just a fantasy   *8/ ?
 Mersaydeez  ..I haven't had a chance to surf the boards today ..any news or details on the Angie , Willy boot and how it may happen?

hugsssssss , puddin  ]&]

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 03:22:51 PM »
Just to add there was a short promo on and Jeff  or the voice over said No immunity for either tribe or something like that .

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 11:09:14 PM »
Trust our Puddin to serve beer to the 2nd hottie on Survivor.  ]#* That's right I like Tom also.  ]**] ]**] I love his accent and I just love the way he carries himself.  I really enjoyed the shark hunt he did with Ian and their sharpened wooden pegs.  He can make anything seem exciting == with that voice.  I also think if Ian had a different haircut he would qualify for hottie #3 as he has nice teeth, can swim and loves dolphins---what more can a girl ask for? {^[ {^[

Riverrat

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 10:23:37 AM »
I don't think you are wrong Meysaydeez.Was just hoping the names got screwed up some way.

oolala so many hotties, so far away. <[/  I keep wondering if we will change our minds about some of the Koror tribe once they show them more. That Caryn needs to go after Willy. (shudder)

Offline palauan on guam

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • achoo!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 09:05:36 PM »
is bobby jon the funny guy with the accent...that has a sense of humor for anything...damn im bad with names...if it it him ..that guys cool..lol everytime i see him i always laugh and choke on the bones from the fish  c/*
palauan unexposed....
say hello to my little fwen..."click" palau palau palau palau palau palau...muhahahahahah