Author Topic: TAR 35 (formerly 36) General Pre-Race Speculation  (Read 14242 times)

Offline Jro

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: TAR 36 Facts and Rumors
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2023, 09:55:34 PM »
it might or it might not be related to this, but a Japanese game show "Sasuke Ninja Warrior" allowed Non-Japanese contestants to participate in their 40th season. It probably indicates that Japan is more open to tourists, especially to reality game shows. hopefully, this season will visit Japan again.

Now would be a good time. To task designers, Japan essentially = Shibuya Crossing and game shows. The country is so much more, and maybe Covid era TAR will help push them out of Tokyo to show a fresh side of it.

Ok I agree with no shibuya crossing but, maybe an unpopular opinion, but I enjoy the game show tasks LOL. I thought the season 31 japan leg was sub par but like....season 23 japan detour, that game show, i enjoyed lol

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2023, 05:59:00 AM »
I agree. Japan is such a diverse place with so much to offer but they’ve never really gone outside of Tokyo and it’s all the same genre of tasks. Maybe the new way they do it where they try to stay out of cities and keep stuff outside as much as possible will get the creative juices flowing again. I get it makes sense to stay close to Tokyo because they usually use it as an entry or exit point but things have changed. I’d argue the same to a lesser extent with Korea and Seoul. I don’t believe they’ve ever even been to Busan.

They visited Osaka in TAR 12 and 20, Hiroshima in 20 and Nagano in Season 26. But agree with you on the task's genres. Admittedly, in TAR 18 they when to the countryside and they had a good leg for once.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2023, 11:10:37 AM »
I agree. Japan is such a diverse place with so much to offer but they’ve never really gone outside of Tokyo and it’s all the same genre of tasks. Maybe the new way they do it where they try to stay out of cities and keep stuff outside as much as possible will get the creative juices flowing again. I get it makes sense to stay close to Tokyo because they usually use it as an entry or exit point but things have changed. I’d argue the same to a lesser extent with Korea and Seoul. I don’t believe they’ve ever even been to Busan.

They visited Osaka in TAR 12 and 20, Hiroshima in 20 and Nagano in Season 26. But agree with you on the task's genres. Admittedly, in TAR 18 they when to the countryside and they had a good leg for once.

Yeah, I probably should have said urban areas in general, but I also agree that 18 is the only good leg they've ever done there. I don't think it's a coincidence it's the only really rural leg they've ever done.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2023, 11:49:13 AM »
Do we even think they'd go to Taiwan with all the stuff going on politically? I don't see them going back to Mainland China for the indefinite future (even without the pandemic, though supposedly they're getting ready to open borders back up by the summer) and that may help them decide to go there.  I think the rich countries in North East Asia should be back on the table now that they're re-opened for tourism but Idk if they'd be willing to splurge on a 767/A330 for just Japan and South Korea. Singapore is out of their range from somewhere on the West Coast.

Offline Parasparopagraho

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2023, 03:26:57 PM »
Theoretically all they need is a 767 or A330 to go a more typical pre-pandemic route of Northwest US- Northeast Asia- Middle East- Europe- US or the opposite way without having to stop to refuel all the time. Most of Africa that's in the accessible range is probably not where they'd like vaccination wise and Oceania would require lots of fuel stops or a bigger and therefore much more expensive plane. Maybe some stops in the Caribbean or Central America too. All things considered, that would be about as close to normal as imaginable.

I looked at several leasing websites and the cheapest rate I saw was at least $20,000 an hour. It would get expensive fast.

Seconded, the budget alone or lack thereof would preclude two seasons filmed per year after blowing through it in 2022.

Offline Parasparopagraho

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2023, 03:31:37 PM »
Occam's Razor: the route emulates Season 34 only this time with some permutation of Ireland, the Low Countries, and North Africa alongside the rest of Western Europe.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2023, 12:50:01 PM »
I just don't see how they wouldn't do everything in their power to not have to do a Europe heavy season again. 35 is LATAM heavy but they need some spice, and it will be winter in LATAM when they run again which is part of why, plane aside, I doubt they'd be going to Aus or NZ anyway. Not comparing COVID and the flu but 33 probably taught them they need to avoid flu season.

Offline Parasparopagraho

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 36 General Pre-Race Speculation
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2023, 07:13:07 PM »
More like it's easier to repeat what already worked for a previous charter flight season than to find the funds for some all-Asia route during the Northern Hemisphere's springtime/summer.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2023, 06:06:40 AM »
Delta is starting an Auckland flight out of LAX in October, that's more 37 territory but if they do move back to flying commercially by then, that's a huge sign for a return to NZ. As of now, there's only one airline flying that route. Two is much more practical for logistics.

Offline Jack3257

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2023, 08:34:33 PM »
Occam's Razor: the route emulates Season 34 only this time with some permutation of Ireland, the Low Countries, and North Africa alongside the rest of Western Europe.

How reliable is the source?

Not disappointed with the idea of returning to Ireland, but do we really need another European season (especially since Western Europe generally equates to yet another visit to France/Germany).  Wouldn’t mind some Baltic countries, but I highly doubt it’s going to be another 34 situation.  Also, where in North Africa would they go other than Morocco?  Even if they don’t go full commercial, I could see them doing one long haul flight just to get diversity in locations.

Offline kyleisalive

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2023, 12:37:15 AM »

Not disappointed with the idea of returning to Ireland, but do we really need another European season (especially since Western Europe generally equates to yet another visit to France/Germany).  Wouldn’t mind some Baltic countries, but I highly doubt it’s going to be another 34 situation.  Also, where in North Africa would they go other than Morocco?  Even if they don’t go full commercial, I could see them doing one long haul flight just to get diversity in locations.

Tunisia?

Online Brannockdevice

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2023, 12:39:01 PM »

Occam's Razor is just a rule of thumb in the study of logic and problem solving. Occam's Razor states that given a choice between two hypotheses, choose the one that requires the least assumptions.
"Exploration is really the essence of the human spirit." -Frank Borman

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2023, 04:55:17 AM »
Morocco is probably the only country in North Africa that's where they want vaccine wise with 69%.  To go further south, Rwanda and Botswana are both highly vaccinated but they'd probably need a bigger plane if they're still doing charter to get there.

Online Brannockdevice

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2023, 05:45:38 PM »
Morocco is probably the only country in North Africa that's where they want vaccine wise with 69%.  To go further south, Rwanda and Botswana are both highly vaccinated but they'd probably need a bigger plane if they're still doing charter to get there.

To be fair, Jordan does not have a very high rate of vaccination (last I looked it hovered around 43%) and they still visited in Season 34. Morocco, Tunisia and Egypt all have higher rates of vaccination, and Tunisia has approximately the same rate as recently-visited Barbados.

Offline Jjw26

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2023, 05:46:53 PM »
To be fair, Jordan does not have a very high rate of vaccination (last I looked it hovered around 43%) and they still visited in Season 34.
And how did that work out for Abby and Will?

Offline kyleisalive

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2023, 06:09:20 PM »
To be fair, Jordan does not have a very high rate of vaccination (last I looked it hovered around 43%) and they still visited in Season 34.

Considering how COVID is contracted Will probably got COVID while they were in Italy and the tests didn’t show until Jordan.

Online Brannockdevice

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2023, 06:18:28 PM »

Poorly, but all I'm saying is that just because a country has a "low" rate of vaccination doesn't mean we can rule it out entirely (I put low in quotation marks since what makes a vaccination rate low is subjective)

Offline Avid

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2023, 02:10:33 AM »
I guess tar36 will be predominantly middle east and Africa coz the last two have been Europe and south America

Offline mildwall

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2023, 08:46:12 AM »
Officials in the United States appear to intend to end the COVID-19 emergency declaration on May 11, before the original shooting date for TAR Season 36. I believe there are some possibilities that this season will be back to normal, taking commercial flights and flying to different continents.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-end-covid-19-emergency-declarations-may-11-2023-01-30/

Offline Parovic

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2023, 03:49:29 PM »
I guess tar36 will be predominantly middle east and Africa coz the last two have been Europe and south America

Why not all 6 continents?

Cuz most countries are back to normal

Offline kyleisalive

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2023, 08:17:57 PM »
Officials in the United States appear to intend to end the COVID-19 emergency declaration on May 11, before the original shooting date for TAR Season 36. I believe there are some possibilities that this season will be back to normal, taking commercial flights and flying to different continents.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-end-covid-19-emergency-declarations-may-11-2023-01-30/

Did production claim that the U.S.' guidelines were the factor for travel in every other country?  With so many other countries not under significant emergency guidelines, it seems like a weirdly arbitrary reason to hold back.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2023, 09:02:13 AM »
As of now, I think they'll go back to flying commercial. Everywhere they would feasibly go to is back to normal with Japan having opened up this fall. Especially it being the summer season where they can do a lot of stuff outside.

Offline Parasparopagraho

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2023, 09:20:52 AM »
It'll be instructive to see which if any Season 35 teams get medivac'd a la Abbie and Will, thus setting a precedent for 36's elimination policies.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2023, 12:21:26 PM »
As of now, I think they'll go back to flying commercial. Everywhere they would feasibly go to is back to normal with Japan having opened up this fall. Especially it being the summer season where they can do a lot of stuff outside.

Agree on the flying!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2023, 01:00:24 PM »
I'm guessing they're going to make people who come on the show keep up with their boosters but I wonder how they'd do it. I think Japan is the only place they'd probably go that makes you keep up with them as well.  I recently got my booster to be able to go there this summer.