The Amazing Race > Amazing Race 32 Start to Finish!

TAR32 Racing reports, episode #12 is on page #1

<< < (2/4) > >>

maf:
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 32, Episode 3, "We're making big moves"
Film date: 2018-11-14 - 2018-11-15

In the previous on the race segment Phil highlights the yield hourglasses, the alliance between the first five teams and how Leo & Alana helped Kaylynn & Haley.

This episode then has a strange start. We see teams booking flights for the next leg using the Travelocity app. This is done in daylight, probably right after they checked in after the last leg. Then teams are released in the middle of the night.

At the starting line we get an interview with Will & James where they say they want to knock out Leo & Alana. The "crime" the latter did was to help Kaylynn & Haley in the previous leg.

Teams are released in the following order:
1.Hung & Chee        03:362.DeAngelo & Gary    03:58+0:223.Riley & Maddison   04:22+0:464.Eswar & Aparna     04:29+0:535.Michelle & Victoria04:34+0:586.Will & James       05:11+1:357.Leo & Alana        06:28+2:528.Kaylynn & Haley    06:31+2:559.Jerry & Frank      06:33+2:57
Teams must now fly to Manaus, Brazil. They get $285 for this leg of
the race.

"We learned from the last leg that reading your clue is very helpful", Alana
 "We also learned that on the first leg, so hopefully this time the lesson will stick", Leo

At the airport Will & James talk to the other teams of their alliance to really formalize it. They all go for it so we have one alliance made up of Will & James, Riley & Maddison, Hung & Chee, DeAngelo & Gary, Eswar & Aparna.

All teams are on the same flight to Manaus via Sao Paulo with arrival early in the morning on the 15th.

Once in Manaus there is the normal race to the taxis and then on to Mercado Municipal.
 "It's serious when I have my hair in a bun, no matter how sweaty I get it's still gonna look good", Michelle
 "Let's follow them, they might know where they are going", Jerry decide to follow Michelle & Victoria (who do not know where they are going)

Teams are looking for box 13 in the Hortifruti granjeiro at Mercado Municipal, they find it
in the following order:
 1. Eswar & Aparna
 2. Riley & Maddison
 3. DeAngelo & Gary
 4. Will & James
 5. Leo & Alana
 6. Hung & Chee
 7. Kaylynn & Haley
 8. Jerry & Frank
 9. Michelle & Victoria

Route info: "Search the market and purchase all of the items on the enclosed list". The enclosed list reads:

1 kg Macaxeira Com Casca

1 Tipiti located at box 48 in
Mercardo Municipal

2 pares de luvas locate at
box 48 in Mercado
Municipal (NOTE: Make sure
they are not too small)

2 litros garrafa Tucupi

2 Redes

1 sacola de Tucumã
descascado

1 Terċada

1 kg Goma

10 Murupi

2 kg file fresco de
Pirarucu located at box 35
in the Mercado Manaus
Moderna fish market

1 sacola térmica located at
box 35 in the Mercado
Manaus Moderna fish
market

Fun fact; when Phil present the task he shows a slightly different shopping list (3kg of the first item instead of 1kg).

Teams also get a shopping bag to keep all their stuff in. Once done they must show their haul to the dock manager. Once he has confirmed they got everything he will give them their next clue.

The five team alliance comes into play here and they all help each other.
 "The market was pure mayhem", Riley

One of the items on the list is a steel machete and this is sharp and comes with no protection. I wonder if this is the reason we see multiple racers with bandages on their hands later in the episode?

Teams complete their shopping in the following order:
1(+3)Will & James     Riley & Maddisonmissing one pair of gloves (pares de luvas)     Eswar & Aparnamissing one pair of gloves and flour2(+4)Hung & Chee3(+2)Leo & Alana4(-1)DeAngelo & Gary5(+2)Kaylynn & Haley6(-4)Riley & Maddison     Eswar & Aparnastill missing the flour7(-6)Eswar & Aparna     Jerry & Frankgot a wooden machete instead of the real one they need8(+1)Michelle & Victoria9(-1)Jerry & Frank
The next clue is a route info telling teams to travel deeper into the Amazon by boat to the Dessana tribe. The extra info here tells teams to keep their shopped items with them until they are directed to use them.

What follows is even more chaos and confusion. Most of the teams miss the part about keeping their stuff. What happens is:
  Will & James, bring their bag to the boat but forget their machete and the fish
  DeAngelo & Gary, forget their bag but realize it in the boat
  Riley & Maddison, bring their bag
  Hung & Chee, forget their bag but are told that they need it by Riley & Maddison
  Kaylynn & Haley, forget their bag but realize they need it
  Leo & Alana, forget their bag but realize they need it
  Eswar & Aparna, bring their bag
  Michelle & Victoria, forget their bag
  Jerry & Frank, forget their bag

There was much confusion as teams went back to the judging table to collect their stuff. Things got mixed up and items got missing. In the end nobody got penalized but some teams had to go back to the market to buy more of some things.
 "We never got our scarf, but the judge checked it", Chee
 "So that's ours then", Hung, pointing to another scarf
 "No these are ours, we had the checkered green", Gary defends their things

Kaylynn & Haley feel lucky. They spread their stuff on the sand and had the judge to check it there. It therefore did not get mixed with the other teams and was easy to scoop up when they realized their mistake.

Going back to the market to buy more stuff includes climbing a lot of stairs to get up from the beach. And did I mention that it is really hot and very humid?

In the end two teams leave the market in the boats without their shopped goods.
 "Don't tell them that they need their stuff", DeAngelo & Gary when they see Michelle & Victoria about to leave

Eventually Michelle & Victoria's boat catches up with DeAngelo & Gary's. Now the boys feel they have a big enough cushion so they let the girls know that they need their stuff. The girls have to turn around and go back to the dock, which is by now 20-30 minutes behind them.

As the girls are on their way back they pass Jerry & Frank going the other direction. They yell "Did you bring your stuff?", but the boys does not hear what they say.
 "They weren't that far ahead but they are already on their way back so they knocked it out", Jerry

Jerry & Frank do not realize they need their stuff until they arrive at the village and see that the other teams brought theirs. To be certain they also ask the teams already on shore. In the end they have to go back.

The episode does not say how long the boat ride was. But in the extra scenes we see that Jerry & Frank had to stop to refuel on the way. I also found one tour company which said their boats take 90 minutes (no idea if they are faster or slower though).

Teams arrive at the Desana tribe in following order:
 1(+1) Riley & Maddison
 2(-1) Will & James
 3(+4) Eswar & Aparna
 4(+1) Kaylynn & Haley
 5(-3) Hung & Chee
 6(-3) Leo & Alana
 7(-3) DeAngelo & Gary
 8(+0) Michelle & Victoria
 9(+0) Jerry & Frank

Once teams arrive they have to find the chief who will give them their next clue. Finding him is not hard but it turns out that their next clue hangs high up in a tree. The chief takes his blow pipe and shoots down a clue for the teams (we never get to see him miss and the teams sound impressed).

I should probably also mention that the CBS blurrers had to work overtime on this episode. All the Desana women we see are topless (and blurred).

Detour: "Shelter from trees or well done please"

In shelter from trees teams must carry a bunch of palm leaves from the shore up to the chief's new house and then use them to cover a section of his new roof.

In well done please teams must use the items they bought at the market to prepare a meal.

The build task is trickier than it looks. The palm leaves must be tied down in a particular way. Fortunately the judge is nice and he shows teams what they have done wrong.

Riley & Maddison spot the small details at the build and they tell DeAngelo & Gary who did not.
 "We have an alliance with them, we looked at each other like 'Do we help them?' 'yes'", Riley

At the building challenge Eswar & Aparna are having a difficult time.
 "Turns out, coding is very different from putting together a hut", Aparna
 "We're used to his heat and humidity", Maddison is happy they are from Hawaii

"I can't think of anything better than a cooking challenge because I'm all about it. They don't trust me with knifes but I'm ninja in the kitchen", Michelle
Michelle & Victoria proceed to have a mini meltdown at the cooking challenge where Michelle yells at Victoria for not collecting the juice they got when straining things.

Leo & Alana are not happy about being U-turned but they do not hang around to went their frustration. Instead they immediately head to the build detour.
 "Will & James either see us a real long term threat or they are really dumb", Leo

Leo & Alana make one crucial mistake at the build. They do not realize that the palm leaves must face a certain way. Alana almost breaks down when they have to redo the task. Fortunately Leo keeps his cool and they get through it.

Teams complete the detour in the following order:
1(+1)Will & Jamescook2(+3)Hung & Cheecook3(+1)Kaylynn & Haleycook4(-3)Riley & Maddisonbuild5(+2)DeAngelo & Garybuild     Leo & Alanacook6(+2)Michelle & Victoriacook7(-4)Eswar & Aparnabuild8(-2)Leo & Alanabuild     Jerry & Frankcook9(+0)Jerry & Frankbuild
The editing shows Jerry & Frank completing the cooking before it shows Leo & Alana getting approved at the build. But we never get to see both teams in the same shot so I am fairly certain that all other teams had left for the pit stop before Jerry & Frank returned to the village with their goods.

The next clue is a route info which tells teams to make their way on foot to the Molokai beach hut. Here they will find a double U-turn and their next clue. The clue also tells them that there will be only two U-turns in this race.

Finding the U-turn board is easy so no placements change on the way there. At the board Will & James U-turn Leo & Alana because they feel more threatened by them than the rest.
 "We're making big moves", Will 7 James get the title

Kaylynn & Haley feel they owe Leo & Alana a service after the help they got in the previous leg so they U-turn Jerry & Frank.

The next clue sits in a urn on the ground next to the U-turn board. This is easy to find for everybody but Michelle & Victoria who spend 34 minutes to look for it. They are passed my Eswar & Aparna while they are searching for the clue down at the beach.

The clue tells teams to travel by riverboat to another boat named Barco Correa Filho where Phil awaits.

Teams reach Phil in the following order:
 1(+0) Will & James, win a trip to Bali
 2(+0) Hung & Chee
 3(+0) Kaylynn & Haley
 4(+0) Riley & Maddison
 5(+0) DeAngelo & Gary
 6(+1) Eswar & Aparna
 7(-1) Michelle & Victoria
 8(+0) Leo & Alana
 9(+0) Jerry & Frank, are eliminated

"You have to make every experience a winning experience and we had a winning experience, I wouldn't trade it for the world", Frank

Maanca:
Nice job listing out all the "chaos and confusion" around the bags, maf! Out of 9 teams, only Riley & Maddison and Eswar & Aparna read their clue.

Marionete:
Going to the Pit Stop, Michelle & Victoria drop a placement, while Eswar & Aparna rise.

maf:

--- Quote from: Marionete on November 03, 2020, 08:35:12 AM ---Going to the Pit Stop, Michelle & Victoria drop a placement, while Eswar & Aparna rise.

--- End quote ---

Fixed.

maf:
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 32, Episode 4, "Olé, Olé"
Film date: 2018-11-16 - 2018-11-17

This episode starts on the boat which was the last pit stop. We see Will & James agonize over how Leo & Alana are going to react to having been U-turned in the previous leg. We also get to hear Leo & Alana promise to yield the boys if they get the chance.

Teams are released in the following order:
1.Will & James       23:112.Hung & Chee        23:18+0:073.Kaylynn & Haley    23:33+0:224.Riley & Maddison   23:37+0:265.DeAngelo & Gary    23:43+0:326.Eswar & Aparna     00:42+1:317.Michelle & Victoria00:56+1:458.Leo & Alana        01:57+2:46
Everybody will now fly to Asunción, Paraguay. Once they land teams must make their way to Orquesta de Reciclados de Cateura.

We hear that Will & James hope that the alliance from the previous leg will carry over into this leg.
 "Isn't that in Africa?", Victoria when reading the clue

At the airport Will & James do their best to keep the alliance going and print maps which they give to the other teams in the alliance.

The flight is provided so all teams are on the same flight:

G3 1641  MAO-GRU  2018-11-17  03:09 - 09:04 (scheduled 03:00-09:05)
G3 7480  GRU-ASU  2018-11-17  11:53 - 12:56 (scheduled 11:50-12:55)

Once in Asución teams run out to taxis and make their way to the Orquesta de Reciclados de Cateura (or did they? see below). Most taxi drivers say they know where this is but Michelle & Victoria's driver tell them to take another taxi.

A local source told us that teams first went to Costanera de Asuncion (possibly the Asunción sign). And that matches with stuff some teams say which indicates they did a stop on the way.

Anyway the Orquesta de Reciclados de Cateura is located in a run down part of town. So run down that teams feel really uncomfortable.
 "Honestly, this doesn't feel right at all", Kaylynn
 "I find it hard to believe that the orchestra is near this area", Michelle

Kaylynn & Haley freaks out when their drives gets out of the car and asks somebody who lives there. They do not feel safe here.

Teams arrive to the orchestra in the following order:
 1. Riley & Maddison
 2. Eswar & Aparna
 3. Leo & Alana
 4. DeAngelo & Gary
 5. Hung & Chee
 6. Will & James
 7. Michelle & Victoria
 8. Kaylynn & Haley

Road block: "Who is feeling instrumental?"

Another name for Orquesta de Reciclados de Cateura turns out to be The Landfill Harmonica. It is a youth symphonic orchestra where all the instruments are made from trash.

There are two parts to this road block. First contestants must search a pile of rubble for a few items (there is a board showing which items they have to find). Then they bring their things up to an area where they will have to build a cello from the provided parts (note that none of the things they collected in the first part seem to be used).

There is a finished example for teams to look at but no ongoing demonstration.

"I have some confidence I can do this faster than at least some teams because I play a lot of string instruments", Leo
 "My number one claim to fame is putting IKEA furniture together, with no instructions", DeAngelo (the football career was apparently not that successful ;)

The alliance members try to help each other here by answering questions any of them have. At least that is the way James describes it. We mostly get to see James asking questions of the others.

"I feel because Victoria and I were in the symphony, I am very familiar with instruments", Michelle

When teams think they are done they bring their cellos to a judge who checks that it looks right and measures that the bridge is at the right location. If approved they can then bring it over to where the kids in the orchestra waits. One of them will accept the cello and then the whole band plays a short tune. This is absolutely adorable.

"This is like really freaking hard", Kaylynn
 "My engineering background is currently not helping me", Eswar (a software engineer)

Kaylynn struggles a lot with this task. They got there late since their taxi got lost and then she spends way more time here than the others. They leave long after the other teams.
 "I know that if I break like down that is not going to do anything, I'm just getting even more flustered", Kaylynn keeps her cool

Teams complete this road block in the following order (* denotes team member doing the roadblock):
1(+3)DeAngelo* & Gary    (2-1)2(+4)Will & James*       (2-1)3(+2)Hung & Chee*        (1-2)After more than an hour4(-1)Leo* & Alana        (2-1)Spent 9 minutes more than #35(-4)Riley & Maddison*   (1-2)After 1 hour 43 minutes6(+1)Michelle* & Victoria(2-1)After at least 1 hour 19 minutes[/tr
7(-5)Eswar* & Aparna     (2-1)After more than 2 hours8(+0)Kaylynn* & Haley    (2-1)After 3 hours 57 minutes 1h50

The next clue tells teams to travel by taxi to a Tereré vendor at Mercado 4. The clue also tells them that there is a yield ahead.

Teams reach the Yield box in the same order they left the road block. Nobody uses the yield.

Here teams must make some Tereré, the national drink of Paraguay. This seems to be fairly easy. They need to crush the provided herbs, put them in a cooler and add water. Nobody has any trouble with this.

Detour: Stack your melons or use your melon

This is the first ever double switchback. That is it is a detour where both tasks have occurred before. They both come from leg 3 of season 20. One was a detour an the other a road block.

In stack your melons teams must build a 10 stories high pyramid of water melons. The base is 10x10 and in total the pyramid consists of 385 melons. This is much harder than it sounds, mainly because the melons wary in size so the pyramid gets unstable and parts of it may collapse.

In use your melon both members must complete a choreographed routine while balancing a bottle on their head. This is also very hard, specially since the last move is that they must lie down on their stomachs and then get back up again. Each team has 50 bottles (made from fake glass which breaks very easily) and if they run out they need to switch to the melon task.

In season 20 this was a road block so only one team member had to do it, here both must do it. Another difference is that in S20 the routine ended when they had gotten down on the ground, here they must get back up again.

DeAngelo & Gary struggle with the water melons, Initially it seems as if they focus more on the trowing of the melons from the truck to the person building the pyramid.

"The other one was dancing and we we don't really wanna dance", Gary

We learn that Will & James did practice this task shortly before they left for the race. We even get to see some footage from them at home doing it. In the extra footage we learn that Leo & Alana also practiced before the race.

"This is way harder than it looks", Will
 "We'll get this done, well be in first", Gary is optimistic when they have just started the stacking

Hung & Chee spend about 10 minutes at the bottles detour before they decide to switch to the melon stacking. The melon stacking turns out to be very hard as well. There are many melons to stack and if you are not careful you get a melon avalanche as part of your pyramid collapses. And this happens a lot.

Riley & Maddison have a different melon stacking strategy where they build one side of the pyramid instead of going layer by layer.

And we see that Hung & Chee having some communication issues. Hung tells Chee that he needs to talk to her and he agrees and stares at the pyramid while he mutters that he needs to talk more to her. But he does not really say anything more (in the clip we get to see).

Eswar & Aparna arrive to the bottles detour as Leo & Alana are leaving.

"I'm never eating water melon again", Riley after completing the stacking

DeAngelo & Gary are stuck at the watermelons for a long time. SO long that it gets dark.
 "This sucks so bad" DeAngelo when their pile collapses again

From the placement changes we see that the bottle dance was the better choice. Teams could spend hours at the melon stacking.

Teams complete the detour in the following order:
 1(+1) Will & James, bottles on their 3rd attempt
 2(+4) Michelle & Victoria, bottles on their 3rd attempt
 3(+1) Leo & Alana, bottles on their 5th attempt
 4(+1) Riley & Maddison, stacking
 5(+2) Eswar & Aparna, bottles on their 3rd attempt
 6(-3) Hung & Chee, started bottles but switched to stacking
 7(-6) DeAngelo & Gary, stacking after 3 hours 47 minutes
 8(+0) Kaylynn & Haley, bottles on their 3rd attempt

In the car to the pit stop DeAngelo & Gary talk about the last team they saw was Hung & Chee and how they left the detour 2.5 hours earlier.

"Today was the hardest day of my life", Haley

The next clue tells teams to race to the pit stop at Plaza Italia. Teams reach Phil at the mat in the following order:
 1(+0) Will & James, win $5,000 each
 2(+0) Michelle & Victoria
 3(+0) Leo & Alana
 4(+0) Riley & Maddison
 5(+0) Eswar & Aparna
 6(+0) Hung & Chee
 7(+0) DeAngelo & Gary, are very surprised to not be last
 8(+0) Kaylynn & Haley, are saved by a non elimination

At the mat Michelle & Victoria tell us that they have never been this close
 "I'm so proud of you for the dance thing", Michelle
 "I'm so proud of you for the cello thing", Victoria

Navigation