Author Topic: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Final Round Design Show on Page 50!  (Read 88408 times)

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Thanks Kami for the comments! You did ask some questions and missed some things so I am going to give a rebuttal <3

The only problem is I need to know what train schedule the teams take. Are they bunched up on the same train, or there’s a chance that a team missed their train?

I did include a train schedule in my notes: It is Acela 2190. Yes they are bunched, and they are on the same train and shouldn't miss it. (Click to enlarge)

The Final 3 will be on this flight and train, making them arrive in the morning, giving them plenty of time to run the final leg.

I love the Roadblock task, but I hope that they’re using a decoy instead of real people though lol.

I'll give you my same response to gamerfan

The actual person will be a Coast Guardsmen so it would be safe. I wasn't clear, but the video I linked in my notes has an example of a training that has a trainee resuing the trainer. Here it is again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io_c_GxiwAM
At 1:36 they talk about how the trainer would be a survivor needing rescue.

With 18 designs I forgive you for not going into all the details ;D And I should have been more clear on the safety side!

I want to know what kind of tools provided for them to measure. Do you mean that they are given a thermometer?

Tools are listed in the picture I provided, so yes they are given a thermometer.

I wonder if there is only one lighthouse where all three teams will perform the Detour in?

Yep, only one light house, but it's larger than a house, so it should be big enough. (It's a 3 story dwelling)

I provided this in my notes. Only doing a portion of the lighthouse, because otherwise it would be too big. Small enough to be within sight of others!

Teams will only wash a marked portion of the deck and repaint a marked portion of the pipes.
This Detour is another task so that there is a possibility of shaking up placements while on a small lighthouse within view of other teams, but is simple enough that it won't eat up so much air time.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
I think I'm going home this week

No worries, I will!

By the way, Kami. Will reply to your comments tomorrow, most important thing being that I did provide a flight, so hope you see it and don't mark that checkbox as missing.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
Leafs I like your horse fossil task btw. Would be better with a creature with more antlers though! ;)

I think I'm going home this week

I'm so pleased to see you are still designing - great effort and good luck! :luvya:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
Thank you very much Kami for the feedbacks <3 kinda struggled to design this very leg, so reading positive notes from you just made my day <3

Probably one note, but the reason I put the ukulele task on the auditorium instead of public space is so that both judge and RB performer will be focusing on one sound source only (ukulele sound, and possibly from the singer), public space generates many sounds from many sources so it would be hard to focus on the ukulele sound, even if the ukulele would be put mic on it.

Props to elthemagnifico, you had my favourite leg - super original!

Thank you so much, racer  :2hearts:
what might have been

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
I'm surprised to see people liked both Florida Keys' legs. Normally when we have two legs in the same place people tend to be more critical for it.

Great job, betheactress!
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
Thanks for the comments gamer and Kamineko.

Kamineko, the Viking longboat task was made because Minnesota has the highest percentage of Scandinavian-Americans out of any other state in the US. Also the "Kensington" before the longboat task is about a runestone (although controversy sparked dealing with its authenticity) that is evidence of Viking settlement in Minnesota. Saint Urho is a fictional saint created in Menahga, because the Finns didn't have a saint. Saint Urho is known for getting rid of grasshoppers to protect his crops with a pitchfork. (Next time I'll include this background information for the judges)

If anyone is curious "Heinasirkka, heinasirkka, mene taalta hiiteen" translates to "Grasshopper, grasshopper, go to hell!"

Offline betheactress

• RFF Not So Newbie
I'm surprised to see people liked both Florida Keys' legs. Normally when we have two legs in the same place people tend to be more critical for it.

Great job, betheactress!

Thank you! I was worried it wouldn't be well received with all the pointed critiques from the panel.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
has Game and Pi comment on my leg yet

Offline Pi

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Full Member
I'll be posting my next wave of comments in the forthcoming 16 24 or 36 hours or so.

Some of you who think we might not have liked your leg due to some points in our analyses might be a little surprised when results come around!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:56:57 PM by Pi/ »
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
I'll be posting my next wave of comments in the forthcoming ~16 hours or so.

Some of you who think we might not have liked your leg due to some points in our analyses might be a little surprised when results come around!

So you're saying I may have overreacted to the comments about my leg, then?
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

-Theme song from 'Full House' (1987-1995)

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11

Hello everybody! Dropped here to notify you about some issues.

Apparently some of the comments made by the judges weren’t well received by those who are invested in this thread and some feelings were hurt as a consequence. As I am known for being one of the most severe – and sometimes – ruthless judges here, and in the spirit of not creating more conflict, I decided from now on to speak only through my scores. Sad, because your feedback to my comments usually help to clarify things and results in an improving of your scores; some luxury that none of you will have on this challenge.

Being said that, a friendly advice: although is placed in the Board Game this is not a normal game, is a challenge. On a TAR game – experience talking here – we can ignore some fails at the moment of designing the whole race because is sometimes difficult to match the described tasks with what player must perform “on the ground”. But here that’s not an option. Is our duty as judges to point at everything you made wrong in order to help you improve your works. That probably won’t get a good response from some of you, we know; but you must realize that we’re looking for excellence, for the best of the best.

And as only three of you will reach the final round that means – paraphrasing Phil – that “we will eliminate most of you on the way”. What also means that as long as the rounds go through we’re going to be stricter and that we will put the rod higher than on the previous time. If you can’t live with that, and as harsh as it sounds, sorry but this isn’t the place for you. So accept the critics because there are no animosity on them, just a desire for getting the best of you.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
Yeah all this is going to do is create more issues going forward when we don't know where to improve on from round to round. What's the point of being a judge if they're not providing any feedback?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 09:43:28 AM by redwings8831 »

Offline betheactress

• RFF Not So Newbie
Just pm me my comments I can take it 🥺

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else. I don't see the point in calling oneself "ruthless" without backing it up. Some comments can certainly have made some designers feel like this DC is a competition of who sucks the least as opposed to a celebration of the best, but I believe it's achievable to provide complete, constructive criticism without being offensive.

It isn't fair to designers to provide potentially consistently low scores without explaining why- that's how things get personal.

Thanks.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
We are on reality show such American Idol. The only grow is throught Judges comments

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
To other people, this is TAR equivalent of Project Runway, at least in terms of designing.

People had to endure criticisms for centuries. Everyone will experience it, regardless of anything. This is a PR issue waiting to happen.

This isn't a PG-13 in level of harshness review, this is a film critic level review. It's possible to achieve constructive criticism professionally.

Thus, feedback are important for further improvement. Thanks.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
I think feedback is great as well; As long as the feedback contains polite specifical critics and everything is respectfull in the process.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
I'd rather my design be tore to shreds and be told how to improve than nothing.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
JUST SO YOU KNOW: ALEN WAS NEVER THE ISSUE HERE. WE ARE TALKING GENERALITIES NOT SPECIFICS. HE IS A VERY VALUED JUDGE.

FEEDBACK...nice constructive feedback about what worked or did not and WHY is the heart of this competition.

It is how you learn and grow and do better.

ALL of Our judges input is not only WANTED..it is the HEART of this COMPETITION.
They spend hours doing this and believe me, we could NOT do this competition without them.

What works or doesn't, WHY  it worked, how it could have been better is crucial.

WHAT I do want to see and have asked ALL our judges past/present to try is to be a bit sensitive in the process.

You players spend hours/days working on these. We know these legs are your "babies".
What we want is honest straightforward comments.
Saying this was a lousy leg and here is why this worked or didn't is great!!
Say this was crap and you are a lousy designer/failure/ is not.

I'm the #RFF MOM...and I love you all.

SO all you kids play nice in the sandbox and listen to your Mentors (Judges) who will try to be kind while cutting you down...and all will be just fine.

:2hearts: :ghug:  :2hearts:

MOVING ON!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I have a random request for the hosts when tabulating scores (from a maths nerd  :funny: ).

Could you make sure that the spread or variability in your scores is roughly the same?

For example, if one judge has their scores ranging between 20-50 (which is a standard deviation around 8 ) and the other three judges have their scores ranging from 30-45 (a standard deviation around 4), the judge who scores between 20-50 will essentially have the weight of two judges.

The average, or means can be different (that won't change weight, on average everyone will rise/drop), but if the spread is different, the judge with more spread will have more power.

If you have any questions, please PM me! Or disregard this, you're the hosts, do what you want <3

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
Well hopefully Alenaveda reconsiders and decides to provide comments.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
Pi will you still be posting your other critiques or are you also only giving out scores?

Offline Pi

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Full Member
Pi will you still be posting your other critiques or are you also only giving out scores?
I'll still be doing full comments on the last 9 submissions. Apologies for being behind on those; I had a busy day yesterday. :)
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
I'll still be doing full comments on the last 9 submissions. Apologies for being behind on those; I had a busy day yesterday. :)

Aha no rush, Thanks for putting the work in <3