Author Topic: What ruins a season for you?  (Read 10378 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: What ruins a season for you?
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2021, 10:34:23 PM »

3. Replacement location of legs during production (in case such as natural disaster, civil unrest, safety reasons and even terrorist attack)

HOW could THIS ruin a season?? I would be giving THANKS that our teams and crew were removed safely. :groan:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Wadsy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2021, 05:14:58 AM »
He/she could just be referring to how legs become poorly designed in the case of last minute planning?
TAR 19's Thailand legs were awful in my opinion and clear examples of this.
Wadsy

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2021, 05:30:57 AM »
For me, it's the route. TAR24 had 4 double legs in a row for 2/3 of its season. TAR Aus 4 had a lot of double legs too, but it was their first season in a while so I can forgive them for that. Just can't recommend it to people.

Agree with dominant teams, even if they have nice characters on TV.

Dragging a race for too long and having too many NELs and it's all unnecessary? I appreciate having a TAR season to watch during a pandemic, but TAR Aus 5 felt dragging at some point onwards.

Offline ghmorello

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2022, 01:34:19 AM »
I am always surprised when teams seem to not know some current events, common culture, or basic geography.  Why do you think that is?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 01:48:44 PM by ghmorello »

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2022, 04:49:48 AM »
I am always surprised when teams seem to not know some current events, common culture, or basic geography.  Why do you think that is?

This actually. After watching Legs 1 and 2 of TAR33, I was cringing that a few racers did not know who Boris Johnson was, nor the fact that the UK had left the EU several weeks before the race started.

(Having said that, I was amused to have the taxi driver mentioning that Boris was blond... and fat!)

_________

The thing that annoys me are boring/generic tasks and racers that rub me the wrong way. Now, I am a person who usually roots for the bickering M/F couple teams, so I don't mind them sniping at each other. However, some kinds of bickering rub me off the wrong way, like TAR11's Kevin and Drew's bickering. I am also against certain kinds of M/M teams (like Jet and Cord and the Globetrotters), who rub me the wrong way.

Offline ghmorello

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2022, 04:50:53 PM »
A big power gap difference between one team and the rest as shown in Leg 10 in Portugal.  The Portugal leg in TAR33 served as a rehearsal leg for the Final 3.  Coming into the finale, every team but Arun and Natalia had good enough skills and a convincing winner's edit.  Makes me wonder what would have happened if Arun and Natalia were replaced by Lulu and Lala or Anthony and Spencer. 

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2022, 10:02:32 PM »
I feel like the episodes are too rushed right now.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Parasparopagraho

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2023, 03:44:14 PM »
First and foremost, a bad boot order - then route, then tasks.

Offline sveped

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2023, 04:48:45 PM »
Uninteresting teams, bad boot order, uninteresting travel route, bad tasks, bad designed legs (especially those with many bunching points).

Offline Jai Ho

• RFF Full Member
  • you are my destiny//jai ho जय हो
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2023, 03:46:43 PM »
This might not be the right place for this post (either here or general TAR discussion)...I don't know about you all, but is anyone else a) tempted by spoilers and then b) kinda underwhelmed when the season actually airs months/years later? Don't get me wrong, it's exciting tracking the teams and their activities, and reading spoilers is a choice, not a requirement, but it's like...we already basically know how 35 is going to shake out in terms of locations, eliminations, and final 3, unlike Survivor which is almost all speculation (but spoilers for that show are becoming more plentiful/accurate due to social media), and probably in a month's time we will know the same about this season, which probably won't air until until late 2024/early 2025.

I wonder if there's a way that the show could combat this, because to me, at least, it's kind of put a damper on the actual show because sometimes the spoilers are more exciting than the show itself (the last 2 seasons, to me, have not been super exciting when aired because I know what happens, also the editing has been lackluster - Kim/Penn basically said the same things every episode and while they were fantastic racers and winners and seem like awesome human beings, the show kind of made them 2-dimensional. Derek/Claire were one of the more tolerable BB alum teams and deserving winners, but, once again, everything about them was pretty much the same every episode, with Claire providing snarky commentary while carrying the team with her unexpected challenge prowess and Derek being awkward as anything)

...could the producers split the group up on 2 different routes and then "merge" them at some point (like Australia 6 in reverse, although it would interfere with a final memory task)
...could the producers send the eliminated teams on a race of their own instead of sequestering them?
...could the producers sprinkle in eliminated teams doing tasks at random with the racing teams to add suspense to the spoilers?
TAR. USA/Israel.

aishwarya rai :: nicole scherzinger :: ke$ha :: leila lopes :: rosanne cash :: des'ree :: carly simon :: leymah gbowee :: mary j blige :: kathy najimy :: annie lennox :: angelique kidjo :: dolly parton :: temple grandin :: sheila e :: lena :: ellen degeneres :: shirley manson

Offline Parasparopagraho

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2023, 09:11:56 AM »
^

24 has to be the poster child.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2023, 12:42:58 PM »
This might not be the right place for this post (either here or general TAR discussion)...I don't know about you all, but is anyone else a) tempted by spoilers and then b) kinda underwhelmed when the season actually airs months/years later? Don't get me wrong, it's exciting tracking the teams and their activities, and reading spoilers is a choice, not a requirement-

...could the producers split the group up on 2 different routes and then "merge" them at some point (like Australia 6 in reverse, although it would interfere with a final memory task)
...could the producers send the eliminated teams on a race of their own instead of sequestering them?
...could the producers sprinkle in eliminated teams doing tasks at random with the racing teams to add suspense to the spoilers?

I think there's two separate cases here:
- if you're accidentally spoiled, either by CBS screwing up or by someone posting a spoiler in the public domain, then I can see how that would definitely sour the experience and the way to prevent it would be on production to combat this during filming
- if you intentionally seek out spoilers just to know what happened and then get disappointed...you said it, it's on you for wanting to read about the still filming season, but also what would cause someone to be disappointed in a season without actually seeing any part of it. 11 was fully spoiled before airing and yet was fairly enjoyable for the most part, and several other seasons were almost fully spoiled (25, 29) yet the episodes and season were sufficiently entertaining.

Production has been trying to evade spoilers since early TAR - they've had decoy teams run the race and complete the tasks as late as TAR 21/22 (if not later) and the existence of Sequesterville is to prevent people from spoiling their elimination by flying home from whatever country they were eliminated in. Short of filming in places that don't really know much about TAR or filming in more enclosed, private spaces I'mnot sure there's a foolproof (and cost-efficient) way to get around this, especially with social media as it is.

Also regarding the topic, I think a bad cast drags down a good route (and sometimes good boot order like Asia 2) more severely than bad tasks (moreso than a bad route) impact a good cast.

Offline Parasparopagraho

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2023, 04:21:32 PM »
^

31 (Reality Clash/Showdown) was just as spoiled as 11/AS1 and even more enjoyable.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2023, 08:17:43 PM »
This might not be the right place for this post (either here or general TAR discussion)...I don't know about you all, but is anyone else a) tempted by spoilers and then b) kinda underwhelmed when the season actually airs months/years later? Don't get me wrong, it's exciting tracking the teams and their activities, and reading spoilers is a choice, not a requirement-

I think there's two separate cases here:
- if you're accidentally spoiled, either by CBS screwing up or by someone posting a spoiler in the public domain, then I can see how that would definitely sour the experience and the way to prevent it would be on production to combat this during filming
- if you intentionally seek out spoilers just to know what happened and then get disappointed...you said it, it's on you for wanting to read about the still filming season, but also what would cause someone to be disappointed in a season without actually seeing any part of it. 11 was fully spoiled before airing and yet was fairly enjoyable for the most part, and several other seasons were almost fully spoiled (25, 29) yet the episodes and season were sufficiently entertaining.

Production has been trying to evade spoilers since early TAR - they've had decoy teams run the race and complete the tasks as late as TAR 21/22 (if not later) and the existence of Sequesterville is to prevent people from spoiling their elimination by flying home from whatever country they were eliminated in. Short of filming in places that don't really know much about TAR or filming in more enclosed, private spaces I'mnot sure there's a foolproof (and cost-efficient) way to get around this, especially with social media as it is.

Also regarding the topic, I think a bad cast drags down a good route (and sometimes good boot order like Asia 2) more severely than bad tasks (moreso than a bad route) impact a good cast.
Agree.  Some seasons have really bad route and legs (TAR 21 notably) but very interesting teams can keep the entertainment gold.  Whereas a season with good route can be ruined by bad teams and plot development (TAR 32 notably)

Offline Parasparopagraho

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2023, 08:08:37 AM »
Both 14 as well as 15 showed even earlier on that good casts can save bad routes, whereas 10 and 22 did the antithesis with poor boot-orders on stellar courses.