Author Topic: What ruins a season for you?  (Read 10377 times)

Offline Traveldude1

• RFF Jr. Member
What ruins a season for you?
« on: April 11, 2020, 06:13:19 PM »
 There are  3 things that can ruin a season for me :

- Extremely dominant teams. Eric and Jeremy and Rachel and Dave are two great examples of this. I don't like when a team wins 6+ legs because its boring to watch.

- Having every team be unlikable. Season 24 comes to mind immediately. Call me superficial, but if a season has an overall awful cast, I won't watch.

- Vilanous teams who are very cutthroat and take the race too seriously. I love competitive racing, but some teams go way too far with it. Rob and Amber were very popular during their run but I didn't like their style of play. I thought it was rotten.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
Re: What ruins a season for you?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 06:30:24 PM »
Hello, Traveldude1!  :bigwelcome to the R.F.F.!
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Online Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 06:34:55 PM »
Welcome Traveldude1 :)

Cast is a big one. If we have to spend 11-12 weeks following a cast of unlikeable teams, it brings a sour note to the enjoyment, even if the route and tasks are great.

Season 20 is a big example for me. They filled that cast with too many law enforcement/alpha types who took the race seriously (and one dominated, of course). After Bopper & Mark were gone, I didn't care about any of the final 4, which made the last 2 legs a chore to watch.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 07:27:02 PM »
Definitely dominant teams.
Also when there are a lot of teams who scream all the time 
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 08:38:35 PM »
I hate a season when boring teams just dominate, ala Andy & Tommy (Season 19). If you're going to dominate the Race, at least be excited, upbeat and just good to watch ala Tom & Tyler (TAR Australia 4)

I also can't stand boring cast members. If we have a boring 11 teams in the Race, then it will be a very boring 12 legs, no matter the route or the tasks being done

Also, when people take the Race too seriously, argue from country to country and just plain mean & rude to other teams from no reason whatsoever, this really bugs me. You are on the greatest television show in the world. Why don't you just enjoy it, rather than being a villain all the time? It would make for much better television, that's for sure!

Gra1162

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 09:14:22 PM »
All the F/F teams getting eliminated early

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 09:15:05 PM »
- Vilanous teams who are very cutthroat and take the race too seriously. I love competitive racing, but some teams go way too far with it. Rob and Amber were very popular during their run but I didn't like their style of play. I thought it was rotten.

I Used to hate Rob & Amber, but you can't deny they're brilliant TV, same with teams like Art & JJ, I find the villains add a lot to a season, its almost fun to not like them.

Competitive racers are only enjoyable if they themselves take time to have fun, so think Dustin & Kandace, Kim & Ally or Ernie & Cindy.

Things that can ruin a season for me are poor route and lack of drama and competitiveness.

Offline Traveldude1

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 09:22:29 PM »
I hate a season when boring teams just dominate, ala Andy & Tommy (Season 19). If you're going to dominate the Race, at least be excited, upbeat and just good to watch ala Tom & Tyler (TAR Australia 4)

I also can't stand boring cast members. If we have a boring 11 teams in the Race, then it will be a very boring 12 legs, no matter the route or the tasks being done

Also, when people take the Race too seriously, argue from country to country and just plain mean & rude to other teams from no reason whatsoever, this really bugs me. You are on the greatest television show in the world. Why don't you just enjoy it, rather than being a villain all the time? It would make for much better television, that's for sure!

For the last paragraph, Eric and Jeremy fit the bill perfectly. Dominated the race and never fully enjoyed the culture they were experiencing. Their fratboy persona was incredibly stupid and awful to watch too

Offline airn10

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 08:59:06 AM »
I agree with everyone above. However, I also feel that poor leg design and too many "all on the same flight" legs really ruin it for me.

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 09:34:56 AM »
I don't like season that has an unbalanced ratio of teams, like there's too many M/F teams in one season or there's too few F/F teams. Also, lack of diversity in teams kinda make the season looked bland.

I also don't like a season when aired, there's too much focus on a particular team that make the other teams forgettable.
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 10:54:13 AM »
Honestly, I don't think is a specific thing that ruins a season for me, the only thing I would say is a boring cast (or having a lot of the interesting teams (usually F/F) eliminated early). Having boring tasks, linear leg, and lack of flight drama can also contribute to a bad season as well. However, a lot of this has to accumulate throughout the season.

The only exception I would make is when a particular narrative that I don't like is emphasized repetitively, that can really ruin a season and put a bad taste in my mouth. Dave & Connor's edit comes to mind in Season 24.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 02:00:23 PM »
Mainly for me is the editing. You can have the best cast in recent years (season 25), but if the adrenaline, mystery, and adventure are not connecting, the season flatlines and appears as bland compared to the older contemporary seasons. This has happened for me since 21 onward. I still love the locations visited regardless.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 08:52:05 PM »
1) Boring dominant team, usually Alpha Males, like Andy & Tommy.
2) Everyone being too nice and drama-free to each others, like Season 19 and 24.
3) Seasons loaded with M/M teams towards the end, like Season 4 / 16.

Therefore, season 4 / 19 are the seasons that I don't like  :funny:

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 05:06:16 AM »

Cast is a big one. If we have to spend 11-12 weeks following a cast of unlikeable teams, it brings a sour note to the enjoyment, even if the route and tasks are great.

Season 20 is a big example for me. They filled that cast with too many law enforcement/alpha types who took the race seriously (and one dominated, of course). After Bopper & Mark were gone, I didn't care about any of the final 4, which made the last 2 legs a chore to watch.

Agree on this. S.20 was painful to watch. The route was good. The cast fell flat for me, almost everyone was like Alpha Team. Rachel & Dave winning 8 Legs, missed 1 task in the Finale and still won. Brendon & Rachel, with the latter's incessant drama. Art & JJ, Vanessa & Ralph fights with Brendon & Rachel. Hot-tempered Twins, Annoying Mississippi Cousins. The airport blowout in Tanzania is a disgrace.
I don't mind drama. Every show needs some spice but too much is not good.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 05:10:15 AM by TARUSAFan »

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 05:42:41 PM »

Agree on this. S.20 was painful to watch. The route was good. The cast fell flat for me, almost everyone was like Alpha Team. Rachel & Dave winning 8 Legs, missed 1 task in the Finale and still won. Brendon & Rachel, with the latter's incessant drama. Art & JJ, Vanessa & Ralph fights with Brendon & Rachel. Hot-tempered Twins, Annoying Mississippi Cousins. The airport blowout in Tanzania is a disgrace.
I don't mind drama. Every show needs some spice but too much is not good.
Everyone has a confrontation with at least 1 team except Bopper & Mark (maybe Joey Fitness & Danny too) is ridiculously hilarious :funny:

Offline Wadsy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2021, 03:46:51 PM »
- Dominant teams that keep winning the majority of legs (TAR 9, 13, 15, 19 & 20)
- Poor route and task design (TAR 8, 10, 13, 19 and 24)
- Unlikable teams (TAR 4, 10, 13, 16, 24 and 27)
- Boring in general (TAR 4, 8, 13, 16, 25 and 27)
- M/M teams making it to the end (TAR 4 and 9)
- Ugliness between teams (TAR 2, 4, 11, 14, 16, 20, 24 and 31)
- Every season after TAR 11 heading straight to the final destination city from the beginning of the leg
Wadsy

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2021, 11:21:26 PM »
That's a good question. I must agree with Wadsy in some points.

- Dominant Teams are my major turnoff.
- Rushing the route and the tasks.
- Too predictable - fits with Dominant Teams
- Too much M/M or F/F teams making it to the end.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline LandonM170

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 12:32:15 PM »
For me:
1. Cast
2. Route
3. Drama

Offline Wadsy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 07:22:44 PM »
For me:
1. Cast
2. Route
3. Drama

I agree with the first two in particular.
The route of a season is a critical one for me. TAR7 in particular is ranked 4th on my season rankings for TAR and would have been higher had the locations been better. In fact I can say that this was the only factor in why the season was not higher, and maybe lack of equalizers on several legs.
Wadsy

Offline LandonM170

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 08:36:51 PM »
For me:
1. Cast
2. Route
3. Drama

I agree with the first two in particular.
The route of a season is a critical one for me. TAR7 in particular is ranked 4th on my season rankings for TAR and would have been higher had the locations been better. In fact I can say that this was the only factor in why the season was not higher, and maybe lack of equalizers on several legs.
I do agree with you season 11 and 7 would be higher for me if they didn't spend 4 legs in SA. Also, a season can get boring without drama for me however it isn't a big factor like the cast and route.

Offline Wadsy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 09:28:22 PM »
Yes! I forgot to mention TAR 11 suffering the same fate as well.

With Season 7 it was really the fourth leg where I felt "hey this is one too many".
I felt the same with Botswana by the seventh leg but I guess a lot of it was because the teams really hadn't been that many places to this point.

With TAR 11 I disliked leg 2 - poorly designed. Again, too many legs in South America, Asia and not enough Europe.
Wadsy

Offline zacz

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2021, 11:27:37 PM »
For me the teams aren't so important as long as they are actually trying. The route is more important to me as well as things such as artificial chokepoints and Hours of Operation. I would prefer a team to get a long way ahead or behind to having everyone reequalised multiple times per episode.

Offline TARstorian

• RFF Full Member
    • TARstorian.
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2021, 11:25:53 PM »
1) No new countries/major regions. We're at the point now where watching TAR explore Paris is a big TV draw anymore.

2) Linear setup. TAR has put in so many rules to avoid specific situations that are inconvenient for Production from happening that refining the rules over and over for 32 seasons ensures seasons play out in a very linear manner.  This is perhaps TAR's biggest weakness over the past six years or so. Unorthodox or intriguing situations no longer happen on TAR because Production wants things to run as smoothly as possible. Easier for Production but not as great of a TV product.

3) A pandemic. That has ruined TAR 33 for about 16 months now and counting, sadly. I'm very curious to see where the franchise goes from here after such a long break. Nobody has crossed the finish line in like 3 years now or something ridiculous.
I have been to 63 countries. I have met Phil Keoghan, Jon Montgomery, Allan Wu, Elise and Bertram in person. I visited Joe & Bill in Hawaii, JK & Mike in Singapore, and Rovilson in Manila. I attended the TAR 28, 29, and 34 finales.

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2021, 08:51:17 AM »
1. Some seasons don't have any new countries visited
2. Linear setup including airport drama
3. Replacement location of legs during production (in case such as natural disaster, civil unrest, safety reasons and even terrorist attack)

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2021, 09:51:46 AM »
3. Replacement location of legs during production (in case such as natural disaster, civil unrest, safety reasons and even terrorist attack)

So you're saying a season is bad just because production had no choice to change locations mid-filming due to unforeseen circumstances? :groan: