Author Topic: DISCUSSION of TAR 33 SUSPENSION DUE TO COVID (may contain location spoilers)  (Read 88471 times)

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
Re: DISCUSSION of the TAR 33 SUSPENSION DUE TO CORONOVIRUS
« Reply #250 on: November 22, 2020, 12:31:55 PM »
Interesting note: One of the 33 couples has broken up recently. It’ll be interesting to see how that’s handled when they start shooting again (I’m hopeful) if they weren’t yet eliminated

Just thought, do you think they will restart from the top and recast once the pandemic is over?

No, I believe BVM confirmed in interview they are planning to resume with a original cast.

I guess the next question is whether or not they decide to tweak the route if that means starting earlier of wait and stick to the original one. They stopped in Sweden, right? 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 02:58:49 PM by cerealking »

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #251 on: November 23, 2020, 02:28:18 PM »
Qantas announced today that they're going to require all international passengers to be vaccinated once it gets rolled out. I'd assume some other airlines aren't far behind.

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #252 on: November 27, 2020, 11:46:35 AM »
Yeah so I guess the question is do we just need the racers and crew vaccinated? How much of the world's population vaccinated is good enough and safe enough to go out?

I think only racers and crew have to be vaccinated. They can go to corona epicentrums then and they should be safe, I guess. The question now is... Would all of the racers agree to get vaccinated? They can not force them...

If the racers want to be on the show, they can absolutely force them. it's been shown before that the legal agreement that teams sign has them agree to take any shots or medications that the producers deem necessary to travel in certain countries. A covid vaccine will certainly be added to the list. If they resume 33 from where it left off and a team doesn't want the vaccine, they will just not invite them back, and either shorten the race, or maybe just add another NEL.

I think we're still a long ways off from TAR. That lengthy Bertram interview was the key - he didn't say they were waiting on finding a handful of countries that are safe to film in. He said they were waiting for the virus to be gone. While that may not be practical since it appears the virus could be with us forever, at the very least it will require vaccines to be readily available worldwide to really mitigate the risk, and have world travel back to some sense of normalcy.

You have to keep in mid that these seasons go through months of planning. Bertram/production go to every place beforehand to scout and get the production companies in line, long before the race happens there. Given the lengthy pre-production timeline, it's hard to plan a season right now because countries that have low virus numbers right now, have no guarantee of being low 3-6 months from now when they actually film. Countries that looked safe over this past summer are now spiking just like the US is...it's a mess, and is why I think TAR won't film anytime soon.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #253 on: December 03, 2020, 09:10:29 AM »
IATA, the international group that represents airlines, is working on an app that will roll out after the first for the year that’s a “travel passport” to show you’ve been vaccinated. So far Qantas is the only big airline to announce they’re for sure going to use it but I’d think some of the others aren’t too far behind.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #254 on: December 03, 2020, 11:03:22 AM »
IATA, the international group that represents airlines, is working on an app that will roll out after the first for the year that’s a “travel passport” to show you’ve been vaccinated. So far Qantas is the only big airline to announce they’re for sure going to use it but I’d think some of the others aren’t too far behind.
As much as I personally dislike CLEAR for its despicable cost, I feel like the U.S. will adopt having vaccination records checked this way and will expand to other countries when they get the green light. It would definitely be great for future production of TAR and those who travel very frequently. No-fuss automatic passport without even getting out your phone.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #255 on: December 03, 2020, 02:22:42 PM »
As much as I personally dislike CLEAR for its despicable cost, I feel like the U.S. will adopt having vaccination records checked this way and will expand to other countries when they get the green light. It would definitely be great for future production of TAR and those who travel very frequently. No-fuss automatic passport without even getting out your phone.

I wonder who the first big American airline will be to do something like this. Delta and United both are also testing programs where they've partnered with travel ministries to do quarantine free travel. I think United is with the UK and Delta Italy. You test a few days before you leave, test at the airport before you leave & when you get there, and then do one a few days after you land. You have to give the government your contact information. I saw a video that Wall Street Journal put on their YT channel that some of the developed countries in East Asia (I'd have to double check but I think it's Singapore, SK, Japan, and a couple of others)  have been doing something similar for a couple of months now and they haven't had any issues, then again they've generally faired much better than Western countries as a whole.

That could be another option for the show.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 02:37:52 PM by cerealking »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #256 on: December 08, 2020, 10:44:54 AM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #257 on: December 08, 2020, 10:47:15 AM »
This thread is for comments on Covid effects on TAR 33.  :)x
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #258 on: December 23, 2020, 05:27:19 PM »
The EU approved the Pfizer vaccine this week. They're supposed to start rolling it out Monday. The US also bought an additional 100m doses from them.

Offline PikaBelleChu

• RFF Sr. Member
  • "Pika-Pika-pi? Pika!"
« Reply #259 on: December 24, 2020, 06:44:02 PM »
Another newly formed strains of covid was recently reported in UK. It is said to be more dangerous than the previous ones.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #260 on: December 27, 2020, 03:24:09 PM »
The EU started its vaccination program today. The US its millionth vaccine this week too.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #261 on: January 14, 2021, 08:14:57 AM »
ABC says they’re confident they’ll be able to film a bachelor in paradise season this summer. Hope this bodes well for some of the other travel related reality shows like TAR. Cyprus also announced that starting in Q2, they’re doing away with all travel restrictions if you prove you’ve been vaccinated. I’d assume other countries aren’t far behind, especially in the Europe travel zone.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 08:20:13 AM by cerealking »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #262 on: January 14, 2021, 08:32:24 AM »
ABC says they’re confident they’ll be able to film a bachelor in paradise season this summer. Hope this bodes well for some of the other travel related reality shows like TAR. Cyprus also announced that starting in Q2, they’re doing away with all travel restrictions if you prove you’ve been vaccinated. I’d assume other countries aren’t far behind, especially in the Europe travel zone.

TAR is TOTALLY different than a show essentially filmed on a set for a good part.

Right now the UK, most of Europe, Aus. NZ remain on a STRICT lockdown. I have friends in Europe who can only go within a mile or two of their location and VERY strict even for food shopping. Filming would def be out.

USA restrictions are riduiculously less secure than most of the world.

I think we will see shows like Survivor and Batchelor WAY before we see a full blown International TAR.

Just my opinion.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #263 on: January 14, 2021, 08:33:46 AM »

TAR is TOTALLY different than a show essentially filmed on a set for a good part.

Right now the UK, most of Europe, Aus. NZ remain on a STRICT lockdown. I have friends in Europe who can only go within a mile or two of their location and VERY strict even for food shopping. Filming would def be out.

USA restrictions are riduiculously less secure than most of the world.

I think we will see shows like Survivor and Batchelor WAY before we see a full blown International TAR.

Just my opinion.

I don’t disagree at all but it’s a start.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #264 on: January 14, 2021, 02:00:20 PM »
Yup, Survivor is going back to Fiji to film S41 in April and S42 in June.
They only need to travel from point A to B. Not travel all over like TAR. That's the difference and why there's no way S33 resumes filming until Autumn at the earliest, in my opinion.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #265 on: January 14, 2021, 08:08:15 PM »
Yup, Survivor is going back to Fiji to film S41 in April and S42 in June.
They only need to travel from point A to B. Not travel all over like TAR. That's the difference and why there's no way S33 resumes filming until Autumn at the earliest, in my opinion.
The EU is supposed to be done by September. I see that being a good tentative date. Hopefully Johnson and Johnson has good results for their final vaccine trial. They’re supposed to ask the FDA for emergency approval by the end of the month and it’s only one shot and can be stored in a regular refrigerator. Will hopefully be a game changer but it’s not gonna be out until March.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 09:06:42 PM by cerealking »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #266 on: January 14, 2021, 10:43:36 PM »
The problem is that much of the world outside of North America and Europe won’t have completed vaccinations by then, from what I’m reading many of those areas won’t even have started by the end of the year unless drastic aid and support are provided.
-- theschnauzers

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #267 on: January 14, 2021, 11:15:14 PM »
The problem is that much of the world outside of North America and Europe won’t have completed vaccinations by then, from what I’m reading many of those areas won’t even have started by the end of the year unless drastic aid and support are provided.

I’d expect if they decide to shoot this fall, they’ll stick to developed countries. Mid and low income countries are probably a no go until next year. I could also see CBS working out a deal with some of the ones who are rely heavily on tourism for money who’ve handled it well like Vietnam for example cause ultimately money talks. Something like prove everyone involved with the show is vaccinated, test the local crew, do stuff outside only, provide N95s, etc. I’m sure they’d love to have the cash inflow a big show brings and it’s marketing for next year.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #268 on: February 15, 2021, 12:19:48 PM »
Some big airlines like American, Virgin, Singapore, and Lufthansa have begun testing out an app called "CommonPass" that allows people to show they've been vaccinated. Some countries are also starting to lift travel restrictions starting out in Q2 if you can prove you've had COVID or been vaccinated. Seems like two good baby steps for stuff like this to getting back out on the road.

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #269 on: February 20, 2021, 10:44:32 PM »
Tomorrow is the first anniversary of the production of TAR 33 that was about to start. But lasted almost a week when the coronavirus fears swept mostly the world as production had to be halted. Hoping a chance to "restart" production is much likely as Covid travel restrictions might be soon lifted by the second half of the year.

Time goes fast and vaccination is so as possible.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 05:29:03 PM by claude_24hrs »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #270 on: February 21, 2021, 01:07:48 PM »
Bittersweet Memory. 
One year ago today the RFF team were following TAR 33 LIVE as they departed on a journey around the world with high hopes and great expectations.

Little did we know that one week later it would be shut down due to Covid.
Sending much love to Production, Cast, and Crew.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #271 on: February 24, 2021, 08:41:11 PM »
Qantas pushed back its international travel restart from q3 to q4. Probably a sign the summer’s for sure off the table at this point.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 07:50:16 PM by cerealking »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #272 on: February 25, 2021, 04:24:22 AM »
In the last 48 hours I have seen reports of two prepublication studies identifying two new emerging variants one in California and one in New York, where current vaccines may not be fully effective, be highly transmitted,  and may cause more severe cases. These instances are not isolated given the emergence of variants that have raised similar concerns elsewhere.
-- theschnauzers

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #273 on: March 11, 2021, 07:35:40 PM »
Now the Biden administration is saying that anyone who wants a vaccine should be able to get one by the end of May and we should be back to a semblance of normalcy by July. I think it’s too late for a summer season this year but it’s looking like the fall is a real possibility, especially now that the data is showing that the shot reduces transmission.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #274 on: March 11, 2021, 07:55:39 PM »
For TAR it isn’t just the US, but global circumstances that will determine when production can resume.
-- theschnauzers